PDA

View Full Version : I don't believe what I just saw

Bison05
12-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Bison Illustrated article: "I don't believe what I just saw: Top I-D-B-W-I-J-S moments during Bohl's tenure."

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=458

Agree? Disagree? Games missed? Games that should be higher or lower?

lakesbison
12-08-2010, 05:01 PM
2nd MINNESOTA game is the BIGGEST MOMENT IN NDSU HISTORY OF ALL SPORTS>

Everyone in GopherNation knew we could hang with them, Everyone in the media talked about it. and NDSU (tyler roehl) proved it on the field in front of
30,000 NDSU fans and 60,000 total fans.

lead on ESPN and ESPN player of the day and Play of the week.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

stevdock
12-08-2010, 05:10 PM

Everyone in GopherNation knew we could hang with them, Everyone in the media talked about it. and NDSU (tyler roehl) proved it on the field in front of

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Lakes he said nothing about the biggest moment of all time. That game didn't surprise a single person except for the national media. We knew NDSU could do it, the Gophs knew we could do it. We just had to go out and do it. Now if anyone would have predicted us beating MSU last week 42-17, they would have been laughed at. We knew it was a winnable game, but not going away is what he's trying to get at.

IndyBison
12-08-2010, 05:19 PM
A friend of mine officiated the Bison game at Central Michigan. He said he overheard one of the CMU players before the game say something to the effect of "I don't know why we are wasting our time playing these guys." I guess they overlooked us and we took it to them.

90BISON
12-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Good Stuff! :nod:

Herd Mentality
12-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Good stuff indeed.

I announced at the halftime of the Montana game that if "NDSU could come back and get this done, I would get a 'Bohl' cut". And the next home game, I did, right in the tailgate lot.

DjKyRo
12-08-2010, 05:36 PM
This is going to sound strange and I'm sure Lakes will give me shit for it, but I think the USD game could be on this list. They'd just beaten the Gophers (which, while not a powerhouse by any means, still an FBS team) and had all the momentum coming into the game. We had so many questions about the offense and wondered if the defense could handle a QB like Dante Warren.

The convincing win was a turning point in the season, IMO. Yes, we'd just soundly beaten Morgan State but it was this win that told us a ton about our team and suddenly had people talking playoffs. Obviously this game doesn't come close to the Montana or Minnesota wins, but still a game of interest IMO.

All in all nice article Slinde!

bisonmike2
12-08-2010, 05:45 PM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Beating a horrible Minnesota team by 6 points as the greatest NDSU sports moment ever? Man, what u smoking? There are several I'd pick over that. For the top spot I'd go with the NCAA tournament game against the defending national champions Kansas as our biggest sports moment. 5 mins of coverage on CBS during tournament time > days worth of coverage on ESPN.

56BISON73
12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Beating a horrible Minnesota team by 5 points as the greatest NDSU sports moment ever? Man, what u smoking? There are several I'd pick over that. For the top spot I'd go with the NCAA tournament game against the defending national champions Kansas as our biggest sports moment. 5 mins of coverage on CBS during tournament time > days worth of coverage on ESPN.

You are talking media moment as opposed to sporting moment.

HandoEX
12-08-2010, 05:55 PM
This is going to sound strange and I'm sure Lakes will give me shit for it, but I think the USD game could be on this list. They'd just beaten the Gophers (which, while not a powerhouse by any means, still an FBS team) and had all the momentum coming into the game. We had so many questions about the offense and wondered if the defense could handle a QB like Dante Warren.

The convincing win was a turning point in the season, IMO. Yes, we'd just soundly beaten Morgan State but it was this win that told us a ton about our team and suddenly had people talking playoffs. Obviously this game doesn't come close to the Montana or Minnesota wins, but still a game of interest IMO.

Are you serious? There are at least a dozen games that belong on that list before the USD game. I would have been shocked if USD kept it close.

TransAmBison
12-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Are you serious? There are at least a dozen games that belong on that list before the USD game. I would have been shocked if USD kept it close.
I'd have to agree. The USD was just another game. They beat the Gophers...everybody'd done that now. :D

Bison05
12-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Another game that could have made the "Honrable Mention" list was the 28-24 win over Cal-Davis in 2006. We were down 24-0 at the half before Walker (and the defense) brought us all the way back. I think we converted two fourth downs on the final drive. Walker hit Majeski for the game winner. But I think the comeback against Poly in 2007 was just a little bit better.

onbison09
12-08-2010, 06:20 PM
A friend of mine officiated the Bison game at Central Michigan. He said he overheard one of the CMU players before the game say something to the effect of "I don't know why we are wasting our time playing these guys." I guess they overlooked us and we took it to them.

I remember a student on the Kansas shuttle saying "Man I wish my first KU football game was a real game." I smiled to myself and thought I hope we can make it a game at least. I think the players thought the same thing.

heckler
12-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Sam Houston??

onbison09
12-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Sam Houston??

Yeah pretty much. "And Walker drops back to pass..." and black screen./

Isn't bitter or anything.

herdmember
12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah pretty much. "And Walker drops back to pass..." and black screen./

Isn't bitter or anything.

The pump fake did it...the pump fake did it! Absolute fantastic game to be at. Some had already left, but was still very full. One of those high 5 the guys you've never seen next to you moments.

Crazy how Heckendorf played such a huge part of so many of these great moments.

HandoEX
12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
I remember a student on the Kansas shuttle saying "Man I wish my first KU football game was a real game." I smiled to myself and thought I hope we can make it a game at least. I think the players thought the same thing.

That's what EVERYONE was saying in Lawrence on game day. At the hotel, at IHOP, and the tailgating lots, on the bus, at the houses across from the stadium pregame, and at the stadium. No one had anything to say when it was all over though :D

DjKyRo
12-08-2010, 06:45 PM

Like I said, didn't expect many to agree. Some people on here picked us to lose, which goes to show how little faith people had then.

devin45k
12-08-2010, 06:47 PM
IMO, the Central Michigan game was the biggest win for us......Hands down!

bisondad
12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Ball State game was pretty big at the time. Lots of points scored. First win over D-1A team.

TbonZach
12-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I'd like to add:

2007: NDSU 41, Sam Houston State 38

Trailing 34-38, with just over 13 seconds remaining in the game, Steve Walker throws a touchdown to Kole Heckendorf.

EDIT: How the hell did one page get filled in the time it took me to type this? :confused:

Bison bison
12-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Another game that could have made the "Honrable Mention" list was the 28-24 win over Cal-Davis in 2006. We were down 24-0 at the half before Walker (and the defense) brought us all the way back. I think we converted two fourth downs on the final drive. Walker hit Majeski for the game winner. But I think the comeback against Poly in 2007 was just a little bit better.

That was the number one moment.

99Bison
12-08-2010, 07:46 PM
The topic was "I don't believe what I just saw", in regards to that the UC Davis comeback would be the only other potential I think.

And yes dj kyro is 1000%, no check that infinitely wacko on usd comment.

JMB
12-08-2010, 07:53 PM
At the risk of claiming a "moral victory", but I think the first Minnesota game deserves mention. Sure we lost, but we played (I would argue out played) a Minnesota team that went on to a bowl game that year. It was our first experience with a BCS team, and no one really knew how we were going to match up. I wouldn't have been surprised if we would have been blown out by the second half. That single game changed the expectations of all Bison fans going forward. It was because of that game we expected to win the following year.

99Bison
12-08-2010, 07:54 PM
At the risk of claiming a "moral victory", but I think the first Minnesota game deserves mention. Sure we lost, but we played (I would argure out played) a Minnesota team that went on to a bowl game that year. It was our first experience with a BCS team, and no one really knew how we were going to match up. I wouldn't have been surprised if we would have been blown out by the second half. That single game changed the expectations of all Bison fans going forward. It was because of that game we expected to win the following year.

True that

roadwarrior
12-08-2010, 08:08 PM
At the risk of claiming a "moral victory", but I think the first Minnesota game deserves mention. Sure we lost, but we played (I would argue out played) a Minnesota team that went on to a bowl game that year. It was our first experience with a BCS team, and no one really knew how we were going to match up. I wouldn't have been surprised if we would have been blown out by the second half. That single game changed the expectations of all Bison fans going forward. It was because of that game we expected to win the following year.

This is one of the games I mentioned when asked by McFeely last week.

kab1one
12-08-2010, 08:25 PM
My top 5

1) 10-9 Minnesota Loss. Game said we can play in the big time. That was a team from the Big Ten that went and should have won a bowl game (Mason's Last Years.)
2) Gopher win. In retrospect, not a very good team that the Bison beat and coach was worse then the team.
3) Montana State -and to think, this is the conference we all wanted to get into. Yeah the mountains are cool, but it turns out MVFC might be quite a bit better football.
4) Central Michigan. Again, not a bad MAC team, that went to a bowl. Quarterback was drafted wasn't he?
5) Kansas. Lose that game, we not in the playoffs. It set the table.

devin45k
12-08-2010, 09:24 PM
My top 5

1) 10-9 Minnesota Loss. Game said we can play in the big time. That was a team from the Big Ten that went and should have won a bowl game (Mason's Last Years.)
2) Gopher win. In retrospect, not a very good team that the Bison beat and coach was worse then the team.
3) Montana State -and to think, this is the conference we all wanted to get into. Yeah the mountains are cool, but it turns out MVFC might be quite a bit better football.
4) Central Michigan. Again, not a bad MAC team, that went to a bowl. Quarterback was drafted wasn't he?
5) Kansas. Lose that game, we not in the playoffs. It set the table.

Drafted by the Bears and now plays for the Bengals

Bison05
12-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Good arguments and good point with the 2006 loss to the Gophers. I hadn't thought of that. Good points other than DjKyRo about the Yotes. That might be pushing it.

How about this one? A reverse effect... Losing 3-0 last game of the regular season at Missouri State. We had just won three in a row and a win makes us a lock for the postseason. Instead, against a team that was allowing 42 points per game in their last six and hadn't allowed less than 31 all season, we can't score and get just 120 yards of total offense.

It's hard to think we are just over two weeks removed from that game after now winning two playoff games so handely. But we'll take it!

UTH
12-08-2010, 09:37 PM

^^^^What he said^^^^

ndsubison1
12-08-2010, 09:42 PM

USD isnt nearly as good as we initially thought.

onbison09
12-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Good arguments and good point with the 2006 loss to the Gophers. I hadn't thought of that. Good points other than DjKyRo about the Yotes. That might be pushing it.

How about this one? A reverse effect... Losing 3-0 last game of the regular season at Missouri State. We had just won three in a row and a win makes us a lock for the postseason. Instead, against a team that was allowing 42 points per game in their last six and hadn't allowed less than 31 all season, we can't score and get just 120 yards of total offense.

It's hard to think we are just over two weeks removed from that game after now winning two playoff games so handely. But we'll take it!

Could've been the best thing that happened to us in a way.

MNLonghorn10
12-08-2010, 10:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPnCmVAuv14

this damn game should be #1 on everyones list.

HandoEX
12-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Like I said, didn't expect many to agree. Some people on here picked us to lose, which goes to show how little faith people had then.

Read this...
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20906&highlight=Predictions

Now if all the people in that thread that picked NDSU to win would have picked USD to win it could have been an "I don't beleive what I just saw" type of game. I don't know too many people that were legitimately scared that we were going to lose besides the normal debbie downers.

Bison09
12-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Definitely not a top 5 game but what about the UNC game in Greely in 2004. Stauss threw 4 or 5 ints and we brought in Walker. He led us to 2 TD drives and Corey Vartanian had a chance to win it at the end. This is when they had Vincent Jackson WR SD and Reed Doughty FS Wash. on their team. Walker finished that year with 10 TDs and 0 ints with 78% compl. as a freshman. We then rode him the next 3 years.