PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Payoff?

EightyfourBison
12-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Too many threads to keep up on, so not sure if this has been asked already.

What kind of reimbursement/reward do the Bison get from NCAA or whoever for these road playoff games? We still have travel and other expenses above and beyond the regular season.

Go Bison!!!

roadwarrior
12-07-2010, 12:47 PM
The NCAA pays for travel expenses.

No_Skill
12-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Is there any monetary benefit to NDSU from the NCAA? Like in March Madness?

tony
12-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Is there any monetary benefit to NDSU from the NCAA? Like in March Madness?

Nope... no huge TV contract to divvy up. There might be a little bump in season ticket sales next year though. Hopefully they get sold to people who actually show up for games.

Digression time:

It's been mentioned on here before but, man, would it be nice to set up a section in which you have to acknowledge that people in front of you might be standing up a lot and cheering. Even if it's just the double-letter rows in single section. Start small and build from there.

Superfan
12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Nope... no huge TV contract to divvy up. There might be a little bump in season ticket sales next year though. Hopefully they get sold to people who actually show up for games.

Digression time:

It's been mentioned on here before but, man, would it be nice to set up a section in which you have to acknowledge that people in front of you might be standing up a lot and cheering. Even if it's just the double-letter rows in single section. Start small and build from there.

:offtopic: I'm no marketing wizz but I'd have to think that a campain for 10,000 season tickets would have been better suited for next season after a playoff run (NC?). Not after a 3-8 season. I get the whole 10,000 in 2010 but seriously.

Bison Dan
12-07-2010, 02:19 PM
:offtopic: I'm no marketing wizz but I'd have to think that a campain for 10,000 season tickets would have been better suited for next season after a playoff run (NC?). Not after a 3-8 season. I get the whole 10,000 in 2010 but seriously.

It's a great goal to have. Most schools around here are hoping for 1,000 not 10,000.

Tatanka
12-07-2010, 02:21 PM

A real marketing whiz would say eff that!!! Why not 11000 in 2011?

NDSUFan_Sav
12-07-2010, 02:29 PM

19,000 and students not included, so everyone that wants to stand and yell get those sections. 11,000....really come on why be so lenient? :D

CAS4127
12-07-2010, 02:50 PM

We could have this same marketing push all the way to 2018 if you do the math.

Tatanka
12-07-2010, 02:56 PM
We could have this same marketing push all the way to 2018 if you do the math.

Sadly, I don't know that our marketing department is even that creative. :hide:

bisonfan08
12-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Sadly, I don't know that our marketing department is even that creative. :hide:

I think that's the whole point. They don't have to be creative. This way they came up with one good idea and can use it for 9 seasons without having to come up with another marketing campaign. I'm thinking the fan base will get a little tired of it though, I know I would.

Tatanka
12-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I think that's the whole point. They don't have to be creative. This way they came up with one good idea and can use it for 9 seasons without having to come up with another marketing campaign. I'm thinking the fan base will get a little tired of it though, I know I would.

Yes, I get your point entirely. I'm saying the creativity level is so low that even repeating the same shit for 8 years is beyond their grasp.

NorthernBison
12-07-2010, 03:06 PM
One really big benefit is the extra weeks of practice when other teams have turned in their equipment.

Our young guys have been getting meaningful reps in practice and game situations for the last three weeks. This should pay off big time in future seasons.

perthbison
12-08-2010, 03:06 AM
Digression time:

This is a great idea and completly doable.

90BISON
12-08-2010, 06:13 AM

Digression time:

OK, I didn't really think about it till now, but I don't believe ANY of the 14K+ fans at the game in Bozo, sat down for the entire game! There may have been some on the Press Box side of the stadium? Yes it was cold out & it was a pretty exciting game, but.......the whole crowd was jacked.....Short of the 2007 game at Brookings & some of the last games at Dakota Field, I don't think I've been to any other ones with that size of a crowd, that were as jacked as they were on Saturday??? Could be something to this playing outside thing?? I certainly didn't see any knitting going on, or anybody yelling at us to sit down.....or maybe that's why they were throwing the empty beer cans at us? :hide:

OK, that was probably kind of a thread hijack, but Tony started it..... :-)

HerdBot
12-08-2010, 03:03 PM
OK, I didn't really think about it till now, but I don't believe ANY of the 14K+ fans at the game in Bozo, sat down for the entire game! There may have been some on the Press Box side of the stadium? Yes it was cold out & it was a pretty exciting game, but.......the whole crowd was jacked.....Short of the 2007 game at Brookings & some of the last games at Dakota Field, I don't think I've been to any other ones with that size of a crowd, that were as jacked as they were on Saturday??? Could be something to this playing outside thing?? I certainly didn't see any knitting going on, or anybody yelling at us to sit down.....or maybe that's why they were throwing the empty beer cans at us? :hide:

They have some great fans. Ever sit on metal bleachers during the winter? Colder than heck and its more comfortable to stand. . Personally I think standing is overrated but its the noise that makes a difference. How loud was it compared to our 1st round game with less people.

Hammerhead
12-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Most of the fans in section 105 sat for the majority of the game. They stood up for kickoffs and when our offense had a 3rd down and after some of their big pass plays.

It seemed like most of the noise was coming from across the field.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Most defienately, when we played at Dacotach Field almost everyone stood for the entire game.

When the game is played inside it is too laid back of an atmosphere. Everyone is warm and comfortable and they get lazy. Plus when you are inside you can hear yourself yell and instinctively become more quiet for fear of being too loud. When you are outside you can't hear yourself yell as much.

overquota
12-08-2010, 05:00 PM
I have been to multiple football games at University of Washington, different seats each time, I have never seen anybody get upset about someone standing in front of them.

roadwarrior
12-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Most defienately, when we played at Dacotach Field almost everyone stood for the entire game.

Hmmm. Not the games I remember.

90BISON
12-08-2010, 05:37 PM
They have some great fans. Ever sit on metal bleachers during the winter? Colder than heck and its more comfortable to stand. . Personally I think standing is overrated but its the noise that makes a difference. How loud was it compared to our 1st round game with less people.

No, I've never "sat" on metal bleachers during the winter.....but, I have been to plenty of games with metal bleachers during the winter..... If some of you remember Memorial Stadium in El Forko Grande, we always played the Sue as the last game of the year.....and the weather usually sucked! And as typical as college students can be sometimes, we were not properly dressed for it....

I guess my point was, cold weather / outdoor games seem to just be a little more exciting....probably has more to do with the fact that you pretty much eliminate most if not all of the fair weather fans that are just there for the pure entertainment of it (because there were no good movies out at the theater). The fans that are there, really want to be there and are really into the game.....standing may be almost a whole seperate issue, possibly more out of common sense & a better defense posture if you happen to be stupid enough to be sitting in the middle of the student section of the home team, while your team is kicking their team's ass..... :hide: :D

Granted, there have been games in the Fargodome, or the Metrodome that were equally as exciting & the crowd was really into it.....but they seem to be more the exception than the rule.....the old Dakota Field days, once you got past the end of September, the people that wanted to be there, REALLY wanted to be there and probably weren't just drug along because they had nothing better to do.

RadBison
12-09-2010, 12:34 AM

Me neither. I only remember standing the whole game as a student, didn't see anyone else standing all game.

No, I've never "sat" on metal bleachers during the winter.....but, I have been to plenty of games with metal bleachers during the winter..... If some of you remember Memorial Stadium in El Forko Grande, we always played the Sue as the last game of the year.....and the weather usually sucked! And as typical as college students can be sometimes, we were not properly dressed for it....

Didn't the visiting side in Grand Sucks have wooden bleachers? (never sat on them either)

BisonNeil
12-09-2010, 03:23 AM

Me either.

UTH
12-09-2010, 05:01 AM
Most of the fans in section 105 sat for the majority of the game. They stood up for kickoffs and when our offense had a 3rd down and after some of their big pass plays.

It seemed like most of the noise was coming from across the field.

#1 Reason I never considered sitting down? My spot on the bleacher was dirty because so many people had been standing on it.

There you have it - stand on peoples' seats, and they will never sit back down themselves.:D

90BISON
12-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Me neither. I only remember standing the whole game as a student, didn't see anyone else standing all game.

Didn't the visiting side in Grand Sucks have wooden bleachers? (never sat on them either)

At least a couple of the games in the 80's I stood on the "Home" side, which I believe were aluminum bleachers, because it really didn't matter, no one else but Bison fans were there anyway! Seriously! I am sure that a couple of the late season, really cold games, there couldn't have been over 4K people there total, & 3K of them were Bison fans.