PDA

View Full Version : Is Bohl Gone?

BisonNeil
12-06-2010, 05:22 PM
This has probably been discussed elsewhere in some detail, but I think it is worthy of reconsideration.

Jerry Kill has recently accepted the job as head coach at Minnesota. I know the Gopher faithful are not happy because he is not a big enough name, but he is a very good coach. He built the SIU program and brought the NIU program back up to where it was in the MAC.

My recollection is that NIU had it down to Kill and Bohl when Kill was offered the job three years ago, just after NDSU had back to back 10-1 seasons. Will NIU come back to the same well again since Bohl has his team deep into the playoffs?

MAC teams either go with coordinators from BCS schools or they go down to IAA/FCS to find their head coaches. Could this be Bohl's time?

RadBison
12-06-2010, 05:25 PM
What is Bohl making? Kill was at $300,000 prior to this year and I think I read $380,000 this year. If the money is similar why go? Stick with NDSU a few more seasons and hold out for the Million + BCS job.

BisonNeil
12-06-2010, 05:29 PM
What is Bohl making? Kill was at $300,000 prior to this year and I think I read $380,000 this year. If the money is similar why go? Stick with NDSU a few more seasons and hold out for the Million + BCS job.

If that is what NIU offers, Bohl will stay, that is about what he is making here. It will take >1/2 mill to get him in my opinion.

KTF
12-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I brought this up on saturday evening in a different thread and the few that responded thought that nobody but MN would pick up Bohl. I feel that Bohl will be gone after this year or next year especially if they make another deep playoff run next year. He has proven he can build a team as well as bring a team back from a disasterous state.

That being said I would imagine that Bohl is getting close to the $300,000 mark with the incentives for the playoffs this year.

The thing I find intriquing is the perception people outside of the program have. I was on the gopher website and they have a real dislike of Bohl stating that he runs a dirty program. I disagree, yes he had his problems but I believe he has corrected them and took action to prevent it from happening again (not that it won't but at least there are strict policies in place).

BigDeal
12-06-2010, 06:04 PM
I brought this up on saturday evening in a different thread and the few that responded thought that nobody but MN would pick up Bohl. I feel that Bohl will be gone after this year or next year especially if they make another deep playoff run next year. He has proven he can build a team as well as bring a team back from a disasterous state.

That being said I would imagine that Bohl is getting close to the $300,000 mark with the incentives for the playoffs this year.

The thing I find intriquing is the perception people outside of the program have. I was on the gopher website and they have a real dislike of Bohl stating that he runs a dirty program. I disagree, yes he had his problems but I believe he has corrected them and took action to prevent it from happening again (not that it won't but at least there are strict policies in place).

Hell yeah Bohl runs a dirty program. Let's look at the facts. He goes into Gopher nation, steals all the MN recruits, tricks MN into an "away and nothing", has our fans buy up all their tickets, turns it into a homegame for NDSU, beats the big scary Big 10 team, collects the paycheck, and laughs all the way back to Fargo. It's almost like he has this master plan of winning or something. Either way, Gopher fans don't get it.

Gopher fans need to settle down. Brewster is gone, they ended the season with a "W" against a ranked conference team, have Floyd in the trophy case for a year, and there is no way Kill screws up anything worse than Brew. What's the worst that could happen next year? 1-10? It's nothing they haven't seen before.

ndbj52
12-06-2010, 06:22 PM
The problems that NDSU has had to deal with are nothing new. Every college team deals with the same things. Florida has had a tone of players arrested over the past few years but no one calls out Urban Meyer

1bizon1
12-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Bigger program bigger problems bigger admin's to deal with bigger egos. Grass is not always greener on the other side. He knows what he has here and what the future looks like, BRIGHT! It would have to be one hell of an offer to entice him. JMHO.....

X-Factor
12-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I think Bohl realizes greater opportunities await. The Bison return a tremendous team next year and the year after that, so why leave now when the party has just begun?

bisontwice
12-06-2010, 06:39 PM
What a difference a year makes. Last year at this time BV was hoping he would leave or deserved to get fired. Now BV is hoping he stays. Great coach, horrible coach, somewhere in between?

bisonaudit
12-06-2010, 06:54 PM
The problems that NDSU has had to deal with are nothing new. Every college team deals with the same things. Florida has had a tone of players arrested over the past few years but no one calls out Urban Meyer

That's because Urban Meyer is a righteous man with Christ on his side. Just like Cecil Newton.

THEsocalledfan
12-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Remember the old "King of Fargo" story? Well, Coach has just returned to the throne and makes pretty good money. Rumor out there he is getting bonuses for every playoff game won.

I think it would have to be serious coin....otherwise, I think he may feel he has not completed his work in Fargo (unless he has 3 more rabbits in his hat......)

GOB1SON
12-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Base -$174k
Media - $60k
Camps- $5k
Fees- $5k
Tickets -3% of Season and Single Game Tickets

Incentives:
National Championship - $20k
Runner-up -$10k
MoValley Champs- $10k
Top 4 Seed- $6k
Each Home Playoff Game- $5k
Each Road Playoff Game- $2.5k

tony
12-06-2010, 07:32 PM
What a difference a year makes. Last year at this time BV was hoping he would leave or deserved to get fired. Now BV is hoping he stays. Great coach, horrible coach, somewhere in between?

A year? People were still piling it on six weeks ago in the "Fire Craig Bohl" thread. Probably would have kept at it too but then most of them shifted over to the "Fire Vigen" thread. :)

steelbison
12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
A year? People were still piling it on six weeks ago in the "Fire Craig Bohl" thread. Probably would have kept at it too but then most of them shifted over to the "Fire Vigen" thread. :)

THIS!!

I have always maintained Coach Bohl is a very good coach and we are lucky to have him.

From what I was told he pulled out of the N Ill when he saw the facilities/pay and has it better here.

I hope we get another 10yrs of Coach Bohl.

In my opinion he's the best we've had since Ron..

westriver bison
12-06-2010, 07:46 PM
A year ago I thought he should be and would be fired, then we beat Kansas. I decided I was probably wrong.

semobison
12-06-2010, 10:50 PM
What a difference 2 weeks makes!

NDSUFan_Sav
12-06-2010, 10:56 PM
A year ago I thought he should be and would be fired, then we beat Kansas. I decided I was probably wrong.

a lot of people were wrong

MAKBison
12-06-2010, 11:01 PM
I think Coach generally does a good job. I did think recruiting was shaky, but the last two years have changed my mind. I do not see him being fired or hired----he think he stays put!

No_Skill
12-06-2010, 11:05 PM
a lot of people were wrong

I think we learned that you just have to let the season play out and then evaluate it at the end.

I was one of the people at the end of the 3-8 season who said that if we didn't make the playoffs this year, he should be fired and I stuck to that belief all season.

He made the playoffs...so I guess he can stay...:D

...unless he leaves...

thundarsdaddy
12-06-2010, 11:42 PM
I agree with steelbison...

Coach Bohl is a good coach and we should simply take him at his word...which was, last time I heard, that his intentions were to stay right here!!

Now, I am not THAT naive to think that he cant leave...this stuff happens all the time!!

Since 2003---2004(I cant recall exactly when), in that time period, when this D-I move happened, the concept of Bison Pride could have easily been lost, and not recovered for a long time...possibly decades.
But the Football Program held up ITS end of that deal, by not only fielding competitve teams.... a few 10-1 seasons..now a couple playoff wins!!

Plus..I happen to like the guy...hahaha!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-06-2010, 11:50 PM
It is true that Bohl has made a remarkable turnaround, but lets not forget that it was under his leadership that we sank to 3-8 last year.

So......

Is he a good coach? Yes.

Is he a great coach? Maybe.

Is he prone to making some costly mistakes that can lead to some down years? Yes.

Could we do better with someone else? Possibly.

Could we be worse off with someone else? Most definately.

How long will he be at NDSU? As long as he wins and as long as he wants to.

Will another team from a higher division be looking at him for next year? No, the 3-8 season is still to close in the review mirror. If he keeps winning, then other higher division teams may possibly look at him down the road, but not for next season.

RadBison
12-07-2010, 12:01 AM
It is true that Bohl has made a remarkable turnaround, but lets not forget that it was under his leadership that we sank to 3-8 last year.

I didn't enjoy 3-8 last year (esp the 1-6 start) but I also remember thinking that they weren't really that bad. The wins didn't come but they weren't getting blown out either so there was hope. A play here, a stop there and 3-8 could have been 8-3 which puts them in the playoffs last year instead of this year. Had they gone 3-8 this year again, even if they were close games, I'd have been concerned and likely calling for his head or at least the discussion of it but the team learned and is getting stops, not making penalties and getting the 1st downs.

heckler
12-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Hire Leach

ndsubison1
12-07-2010, 01:08 AM
I want Bohl to stay until he gets a national title

BisonNolesFan77
12-07-2010, 01:20 AM

People are starting to call out Urban Meyer, I believe he is up around 35 or so players of his at Florida have ended up in cuffs...

bendixson
12-07-2010, 01:23 AM

So in other words you only want Bohl to stay for another month?

KTF
12-07-2010, 01:24 AM
So in other words you only want Bohl to stay for another month?

Love your optimism!!

ISXBISON
12-07-2010, 02:19 AM

Why stop at just one:D :D

roper1313
12-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Base -$174k
Media - $60k
Camps- $5k
Fees- $5k
Tickets -3% of Season and Single Game Tickets

Incentives:
National Championship - $20k
Runner-up -$10k
MoValley Champs- $10k
Top 4 Seed- $6k
Each Home Playoff Game- $5k
Each Road Playoff Game- $2.5k

So Bohl is up to $254,000 without the 3% of tickets clause. I'm guessing that would put him close to $300,000 for the year. He's not going anywhere but a BCS job, IMHO.

RadBison
12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
So Bohl is up to $254,000 without the 3% of tickets clause. I'm guessing that would put him close to $300,000 for the year. He's not going anywhere but a BCS job, IMHO.

Assuming 15,000 average attendance and a $20 average ticket price and 5 home games puts his ticket "bonus" around $45,000. I realize the 15,000 average include student tickets (reduced price) and there are a few other variables but still, ballpark puts him around $300,000 this year, not bad for North Dakota, not bad at all. Short of a BCS school who can afford the $500,000 or so it would cost to get him to think about leaving?

OK, enough Bohl talk for me this year, I'll worry more about it after the season ends, enjoy the ride first!

bisonmike2
12-07-2010, 03:50 PM
I've been critical of Bohl since day one, mainly because I'm also a Nebraska fan and he was dismissed from there on very bad terms. He has done a couple of things recently that makes me think he has changed for the better. Probably the most glaring change has been his ability to make a difficult decision and go in a new direction. Take the D-Coordinator last year. Breske was horrible, but he had a great resume and he had only been here one year. Old Bohl would have chalked the disappointment up to a new system. He would have preached patience and that it takes time to get used to it. New Bohl recognized the problem, eliminated it and went with Hazelton which allowed us to get back to basics. And then we have the QB position this year. Old Bohl would have stuck with a struggling QB, like he did with Mertens. New Bohl was pretty quick to pull the trigger on a QB change this year.

overquota
12-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I was on the gopher website and they have a real dislike of Bohl stating that he runs a dirty program. I disagree, yes he had his problems but I believe he has corrected them and took action to prevent it from happening again (not that it won't but at least there are strict policies in place).

I believe this is spreading from the Nebraska fan base, they hate Bohl. Now with NU joining the Big Ten, it will be difficult for Coach to get a Big Ten job. But his leadership and now that he is a married man, he has to be on the list of many ADs. Any coach that can deliver this consistent power run game, has to get looks and interviews.

bisonmike2
12-07-2010, 04:10 PM
I believe this is spreading from the Nebraska fan base, they hate Bohl. Now with NU joining the Big Ten, it will be difficult for Coach to get a Big Ten job. But his leadership and now that he is a married man, he has to be on the list of many ADs. Any coach that can deliver this consistent power run game, has to get looks and interviews.

eh I don't think it's Nebraska fans spreading the hate. sure he was run out of Nebraska, but Callahan pretty much made most Nebraska fans forget about Solich and his crew. Now that Bo Pelini is there most Nebraska fans don't even have Bohl remotely on their radar. It's probably due to Bohl, almost beating Minnesota one year, than betting them the next with a roster filled with Minnesota players. Then add in a fan base that completely took over the Metrodome 2 years in a row and you'll get some goopher fans that probably don't like NDSU and the football program too much. It also didn't help that we had a rash of very bad arrest stemming from drugs to a theft ring.

HandoEX
12-07-2010, 05:31 PM
If he goes, bring back Rocky Hager!

bisonfan08
12-07-2010, 05:36 PM
IMO Bohl has it great here, the fans love him, the players love him and NDSU has done a great job of providing quality facilities for him. Last year was a down year but not entirely his fault. He lost a little bit of control of the team and had to remove some key players from the team do to diciplinary action, had issues with the defense and had a bit of a slump in recruiting. This year however the recruiting class has been loaded with contributors and some future stars (Colton Heagle is one of my favorite players right now) and the defense is back on track. Bohl's salary actually increased to a base of$180,960 this year and with his incentives there's no doubt he's hitting that $300,000 mark. I read last week that NDSU and the Fargodome are looking to update the turf in the dome as soon as the 2012 season and with the BSA remodel the football coaching offices will all get an upgrade and I just don't see any reason for Bohl to leave unless a BCS conference team paying over $500,000 puts an offer on the table. Let's not forget the cost of living and taxes on all that income also make $300,000 in Fargo, ND worth a lot more than other areas of the country. He's living the good life I don't see him leaving anytime soon.

roadwarrior
12-07-2010, 06:39 PM
...and with the BSA remodel the football coaching offices will all get an upgrade....

The football offices are in the Fargodome. It would be hard to find a way to upgrade them!

bisonmike2
12-07-2010, 06:46 PM
The football offices are in the Fargodome. It would be hard to find a way to upgrade them!

I know of one way to upgrade them. :)

http://davidnotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/anationalchamps.jpg

GRAFTONBISON
12-07-2010, 06:55 PM
I know of one way to upgrade them. :)

http://davidnotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/anationalchamps.jpg

You are stealing the Championship Trophy from Richmond? How about we win three more games and earn our own? If that doesn't happen I am all for swiping Richmond's.:)

bisonmike2
12-07-2010, 06:55 PM
holy crap. sorry for the gigantic picture. it's hotlinked.

bisonfan08
12-07-2010, 07:15 PM

I'm aware of that, but from what I read they were getting moved to the BSA with the remodel, not sure how accurate that article I read was, but I could see why NDSU would want them moved into a building they own on campus versus space they most like pay to lease in the dome. If anyone else read what I read or has heard differently I by no means know this as a fact so please let me know. I can only mention what I read.

bisonmike2
12-07-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm aware of that, but from what I read they were getting moved to the BSA with the remodel, not sure how accurate that article I read was, but I could see why NDSU would want them moved into a building they own on campus versus space they most like pay to lease in the dome. If anyone else read what I read or has heard differently I by no means know this as a fact so please let me know. I can only mention what I read.

I would hope they don't because the coaches offices are awesome and I'm sure they are a nice little space to take potential recruits. Plus we already rent out the space for locker rooms and other football meeting rooms there so I can't see us moving the coaches offices out because we know the lockers aren't going anywhere.

Bison Dan
12-07-2010, 07:18 PM

After paying a few million for the remodel I doubt that they're moving.

TAILG8R
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure they would move what costs them $3.5 million to create.

roadwarrior
12-07-2010, 07:50 PM
The football offices ARE NOT moving to the remodeled BSA.

CAS4127
12-07-2010, 07:50 PM

Quit hollering Road!!

roadwarrior
12-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Well, I just wanted to make sure he "heard" it correctly!

TAILG8R
12-07-2010, 07:52 PM

Did Lakes steal your keyboard half way through?

bisonfan08
12-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Well, I just wanted to make sure he "heard" it correctly!

I appreciated the emphasis, I'll be sure if I read any other outlandish things I check with you before making such rediculous posts.

westriver bison
12-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I appreciated the emphasis, I'll be sure if I read any other outlandish things I check with you before making such rediculous posts.

The Road knows

IndyBison
12-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I could see him leaving for similar money at a non-BCS FBS school. Many of the BCS schools may only consider guys at the FBS level and being FCS could limit those options. Kill went from SIU to NIU to UM. It's probably less likely he would have been able to go from SIU to UM.

Another option for him leaving could be for a coordinator position at a BCS school. These coaches are all very well connected and if he has a good friend that is currently a coach or gets a head coaching gig, you never know where he could go.

EndZoneQB
12-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I could see him leaving for similar money at a non-BCS FBS school. Many of the BCS schools may only consider guys at the FBS level and being FCS could limit those options. Kill went from SIU to NIU to UM. It's probably less likely he would have been able to go from SIU to UM.

Another option for him leaving could be for a coordinator position at a BCS school. These coaches are all very well connected and if he has a good friend that is currently a coach or gets a head coaching gig, you never know where he could go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Tressel

Rare? Definitely. Possible? Yep. And t-OSU is about the pinnacle so anything can happen...

Heres a thought tho: Bohl keeps winning here, Kill does not win at UM. It draw a lot of comparisons to the Tressel situation as both BCS schools would be in the same region as their respective FCS schools. They have already been in the same high schools... Forunately, I think Kill will do well at UM. He has been in the Midwest winning for awhile now, so that should serve him in recruiting.

THEsocalledfan
12-07-2010, 09:38 PM

Doubt this as he has been there, done that, unless D Coordinator of Nebraska does not count......he will never be a coordinator again.

roper1313
12-07-2010, 10:03 PM

I'm pretty sure the Sunderland's would be pretty disapointed if their $1M donation was turned over to the Fargodome.

IndyBison
12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Doubt this as he has been there, done that, unless D Coordinator of Nebraska does not count......he will never be a coordinator again.

Not as likely but let's say he and Urban Mayer knew each other well. If Urban lost one of his coordinators to another job and offered it to Bohl, would he take it? As good as things are at NDSU, I think that would be hard to turn down. IU just hired the o coordinator from Oklahoma and I think he was making more than 300k. If your goal is to be a head coach at a big time program being involved at the FBS level has some advantages. Although if his goal is to be a successful coach in a successful program without the stress of a major program, he would do very well to stay here and retire here. It's a pretty sweet gig.

Herd
12-07-2010, 10:38 PM
If a Jim Tressel type guy was working at NDSU, the gophers wouldn't want anything to do with him. Why? Four Letters: N . D . S . U.

That is obvious from the way they are treating an excellent coach in Jerry Kill. That fan base should be thanking their lucky stars that actually have someone who knows X's and O's.

Twentysix
12-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Not as likely but let's say he and Urban Mayer knew each other well. If Urban lost one of his coordinators to another job and offered it to Bohl, would he take it? As good as things are at NDSU, I think that would be hard to turn down. IU just hired the o coordinator from Oklahoma and I think he was making more than 300k. If your goal is to be a head coach at a big time program being involved at the FBS level has some advantages. Although if his goal is to be a successful coach in a successful program without the stress of a major program, he would do very well to stay here and retire here. It's a pretty sweet gig.

Pretty sweet gig when your not being thrown under the bus by the fanbase :P, I do not think bohl will leave after this season no matter what happens from here on out, Unless the majority of the coaching staff takes different jobs.

NDSUstudent
12-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I could only see Bohl being a coordinator at the NFL level, the only way he would do it for a BCS team is if it was basically guaranteed he is the coach in waiting(like Chip Kelly at Oregon). Being a head coach is a more stable job because you have control of your staff and team, if things go bad at any big time school the coordinators are first in line on the firing squad.

As for the non-BCS jobs, only a few of them are very good. Bohl is in a great situation at NDSU and I don't think he is in any hurry to leave right now.

yellowstreak
12-08-2010, 12:31 AM
Could this be Bohl's time?

what about the Ryan Kelly factor?

Bison bison
12-08-2010, 12:36 AM
If a Jim Tressel type guy was working at NDSU, the gophers wouldn't want anything to do with him. Why? Four Letters: N . D . S . U.

That is obvious from the way they are treating an excellent coach in Jerry Kill. That fan base should be thanking their lucky stars that actually have someone who knows X's and O's.

right on.

those morons deserved brewster and sure as hell don't deserve kill.

ISXBISON
12-08-2010, 01:33 AM
I don't see him leaving Fargo anytime soon. He loves it here. There aren't a lot of jobs out there that offer what he has here. Decent salary, outstanding facilities, resources, and community support. It would have to be one hell of an opportunity.

CHADSTAUS
12-08-2010, 03:14 AM
Great job, great town. No reason to leave.:)

perthbison
12-08-2010, 03:27 AM

It wasn't to many years back that Dale Lennon interviewed at Montana State and the job would have been offered to him except he declined. He never said but most people knew it was because of drug arrests of some of the players and I'm thinking one might have been charged with murder. I believe they now have a clean program but yes, most schools deal with some junk now and then through the years.:(

WRSDBison
12-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Hire Leach

For the love of God NO!!!

NWNDBison
12-08-2010, 04:30 AM
If it was always all about moving on for bigger bucks, Jerry Moore at Appy State would have been gone long ago.

He's in his 22nd year at ASU. He must have had his opportunities. I wonder how many millions of $ he's lost by not taking advantage.

Not sure Bohl would turn down lucrative opportunities, but he does seem to be sincere when time and time again, he says, "I came here to win a national championship."

If he's patient and waits 'til then, he should maximize his opportunities. (Of course, that could be only a month away.)

Nah, he's not ready. Even if the football gods should smile upon the Bison this year, this is not the year Bohl leaves.

I guess if he did, everybody on this board who wanted to throw him under the bus after the Missouri State game should be happy.

How fickle we fans are!

DjKyRo
12-08-2010, 04:50 AM
Dude, if Bohl gets hired elsewhere I say we hire Mangino. Isn't he still looking for a job?

"Hey Coach Mangino, sorry about all the fat jokes...."

;)

bisonmike2
12-08-2010, 06:58 PM
well the gators are looking for a new coach now. Will Bohl bolt for Florida?:D

BisonNeil
12-08-2010, 08:58 PM
If it was always all about moving on for bigger bucks, Jerry Moore at Appy State would have been gone long ago.

He's in his 22nd year at ASU. He must have had his opportunities. I wonder how many millions of $ he's lost by not taking advantage.

Not sure Bohl would turn down lucrative opportunities, but he does seem to be sincere when time and time again, he says, "I came here to win a national championship."

If he's patient and waits 'til then, he should maximize his opportunities. (Of course, that could be only a month away.)

Nah, he's not ready. Even if the football gods should smile upon the Bison this year, this is not the year Bohl leaves.

I guess if he did, everybody on this board who wanted to throw him under the bus after the Missouri State game should be happy.

How fickle we fans are!

Not sure Moore is a good example. He already had his swing at bat in the big leagues and failed, W Virginia I think.

overquota
12-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Our coach is making more than some FBS coaches: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2010-coaches-contracts-table.htm

Bison"FANatic"
12-09-2010, 02:06 PM
What is Saban thinking taking that job for that price. It is indefensible he should have held out for more. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

In all seriousness if he can get it more power to him.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: