PDA

View Full Version : What will Vigen show us in Bozone?

WYOBISONMAN
12-03-2010, 12:52 PM
This is a huge question mark in my mind. Vigen is a disaster at OC and he is going to have to call a good game to get us a win. Or, I should say, call a good game and have the boys ready to execute from the very first tick of the clock.

I really want a Bison win tomorrow, but I have to say......Vigen is indeed the weak link. And....when all is said an done, Vigen and the way our offense has operated, needs some damn close scrutiny when the season is over.

We will be heading into next season with a young team that is also a playoff seasoned team. That is a GREAT position to be in and the sky is the limit for these kids. I would hate to see a poor OC hold them back.

westnodak93bison
12-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I agree. However, I'm hoping he can get this offense to perform so he can earn a second chance with fans like us.

Castor Troy
12-03-2010, 01:31 PM
This is a huge question mark in my mind. Vigen is a disaster at OC and he is going to have to call a good game to get us a win. Or, I should say, call a good game and have the boys ready to execute from the very first tick of the clock.

I really want a Bison win tomorrow, but I have to say......Vigen is indeed the weak link. And....when all is said an done, Vigen and the way our offense has operated, needs some damn close scrutiny when the season is over.

We will be heading into next season with a young team that is also a playoff seasoned team. That is a GREAT position to be in and the sky is the limit for these kids. I would hate to see a poor OC hold them back.

Well, if he watched any tape on MSU he would have seen that they are vulnerable to short quick passes that chew up chunks of yards. One of their losses was attributed to their inability to defend this. At one point, the Bison was very good at this but has abandoned this even though we have the personnel. Our tight ends and fullbacks have been under-utilized this year and now is the obvious time to break them out. Have them run flat routes and make their secondary try to tackle our big fellas. If we nickel and dime them to death, then we can go long to Holloway like we've done all year.

Bison77
12-03-2010, 02:07 PM
It is amazing to me how all the blame for the offense is on Coach Vigen. I understand he is the OC, but we have approx 4-5 more offensive coaches in the program that also have a big input in the plays that are run and schemed during the week. The whole year we have had a revolving door at QB, and average play by both QB's along with musical chairs on the OL. The defense wasn't outstanding every week as we have had to deal with injuries just has the offense. We basically have 1 adequate reciever and the balance of them are non factors. The revolving door with coaches in the program especially the receivers coaches has hurt also. If you don't have the right players in the program there is a limit to what plays we can run and have success at. The first response to this will be that Vigen was the recruiting coordinator so he is responsible for the lack of recruits & he is only a small part of the recruiting problems, once again revolving coaches hurts the recruiting more than the on-field work. I guess I am tired of all the blame being placed on one coach when they are a TEAM, so any failings are the result of all the coaches.

Notorious
12-03-2010, 02:14 PM
It is amazing to me how all the blame for the offense is on Coach Vigen. I understand he is the OC, but we have approx 4-5 more offensive coaches in the program that also have a big input in the plays that are run and schemed during the week. The whole year we have had a revolving door at QB, and average play by both QB's along with musical chairs on the OL. The defense wasn't outstanding every week as we have had to deal with injuries just has the offense. We basically have 1 adequate reciever and the balance of them are non factors. The revolving door with coaches in the program especially the receivers coaches has hurt also. If you don't have the right players in the program there is a limit to what plays we can run and have success at. The first response to this will be that Vigen was the recruiting coordinator so he is responsible for the lack of recruits & he is only a small part of the recruiting problems, once again revolving coaches hurts the recruiting more than the on-field work. I guess I am tired of all the blame being placed on one coach when they are a TEAM, so any failings are the result of all the coaches.

Very good post, but to not assess/critique his performance over the past couple of years would be naive. I agree with all of what you said, but tend to believe he has some things to prove to retain his position as OC.

Elite
12-03-2010, 02:42 PM
http://imgur.com/QqC64.jpg

HerdBot
12-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Honestly the past doesn't matter if we have a good game tomorrow. I think this will be a statement game for the entire offense. Were 1-0 right now.

THE HERD
12-03-2010, 03:34 PM
I wonder if they will do any of the no huddle type thing they did the first couple drives against RMU? I think that is a good idea to try and get the offense in a rythym early and you could pepper it in throughout the game if needed. Sometimes the no huddle seems to spark an offense, although I know it is not a true no huddle when they stand up and look at the sideline, but can still achieve the desired affect. I would hope he developed a few little wrinkles to throw in that work on the cats weaknesses that we haven't done much or not at all during the season. If he trys to run the same go to vanilla plays the whole game it is gonna be a long afternoon. Veldman should have a big day down the middle of the field for us to win this one. I say throw the kitchen sink at them we have nothing to lose,so leave it all on the field.....the way I see it is all the pressure is on the cats, we should be able to play loose. Go Bison!!!!!

HerdBot
12-03-2010, 03:47 PM
I would like to see screens, end arounds, reverses, swing passes, quick slants, bubble screens, designed QB draws, quick hitches, and long bombs...ALL IN THE SAME GAME!

56BISON73
12-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I wonder if they will do any of the no huddle type thing they did the first couple drives against RMU? I think that is a good idea to try and get the offense in a rythym early and you could pepper it in throughout the game if needed. Sometimes the no huddle seems to spark an offense, although I know it is not a true no huddle when they stand up and look at the sideline, but can still achieve the desired affect. I would hope he developed a few little wrinkles to throw in that work on the cats weaknesses that we haven't done much or not at all during the season. If he trys to run the same go to vanilla plays the whole game it is gonna be a long afternoon. Veldman should have a big day down the middle of the field for us to win this one. I say throw the kitchen sink at them we have nothing to lose,so leave it all on the field.....the way I see it is all the pressure is on the cats, we should be able to play loose. Go Bison!!!!!

The type of no huddle we displayed during the RMU game is meant to slow the game down for your opponents and control the tempo. If you use the no huddle where every thing is cracking with plays call at the LOS in rapid succession that produces a rythum. I didnt much care for the way they did it last week. Its hard to get momentum when you are starting and stopping all the time when you come up to the LOS.

bisonmike2
12-03-2010, 04:30 PM

There is no way NDSU has that bottom right play in it's playbook. 2 WR streaks? Not a chance.

HerdBot
12-03-2010, 04:37 PM
The type of no huddle we displayed during the RMU game is meant to slow the game down for your opponents and control the tempo. If you use the no huddle where every thing is cracking with plays call at the LOS in rapid succession that produces a rythum. I didnt much care for the way they did it last week. Its hard to get momentum when you are starting and stopping all the time when you come up to the LOS.

It was strange to say the least. It actually looked and felt weird from the stands. I kept thinking they had called a time out or something! They moved the ball very well inbetween the 20's but sure stunk it up in the red zone. I don't even know what to think about that. Had we scored it would have been alright.

Herd80
12-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Agree. I thought the no was tougher on us than the opponent. We were much more in sync when huddling, and I didn't see the defense reacting differently with or without huddle.

TransAmBison
12-03-2010, 04:42 PM
When were these run plays added? I thought we just #4? And as for the passes, we've got 4 plays?

CAS4127
12-03-2010, 04:46 PM
When were these run plays added? I thought we just #4? And as for the passes, we've got 4 plays?

Vigen just realized the playbook pages are two-sided!!:D

Bison Dan
12-03-2010, 04:50 PM

2 freshman in the OL and a new QB - I think it's understandable. Vigen does need to find some new plays.

semobison
12-03-2010, 05:55 PM
I dont know if we need new plays, we just cant be so damn predictable! MSU is going to crowd the box to stop the run, so play action on first down is a must! If we can somehow keep their d off balance, pass to set up the run, we have a chance. If its run on 1st, run on 2nd, pass on 3rd and long we are going to be in trouble!

CAS4127
12-03-2010, 07:07 PM
I dont know if we need new plays, we just cant be so damn predictable! MSU is going to crowd the box to stop the run, so play action on first down is a must! If we can somehow keep their d off balance, pass to set up the run, we have a chance. If its run on 1st, run on 2nd, pass on 3rd and long we are going to be in trouble!

Bingo!--but don't let on-teh-road know that you said that, as it is, to a degree, dissing Vigen, which is a NO-NO for any bison fan regardless of who you are.

tojo70
12-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Hopefully QB rollout passes. O-Line has trouble holding their blocks long enough for him to find his receivers, and he panicks when the pocket starts surrounding him.

56BISON73
12-03-2010, 10:10 PM

The playbook is the size of War and Peace. Problem is we never get past the introduction.

Herd
12-03-2010, 10:28 PM
That's a pretty broad brush that you are painting the OC with. Is he also responsible for gasing up the bus and navigating to Bozeman?

Your OC assessment is not accurate or fair IMO. I'm not willing to give the OC full credit for success or 100% blame for failure either. Last time I checked it was a team sport, and player are required to execute.

I will say that no-huddle offense employed by NDSU vs RMU was an absolute collosal failure and completely sucked the life out of the offense, the crowd and the entire 1st half of the game. It completely destroyed any rhythm that the team might have developed. I'll put the no-huddle fault in the HC, not OC. If they would have stayed in the "back away from the los - no huddle" in the 2nd half, I was going to need psychiastric help.

BisonEngrGirl
12-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Let's hope we see a few things:

1. Focus on running. Let our good rb's and fb's put up a fight.
2. Mix in a few short passes, screens, and little lobs to the flat. If our o-line can be as good as it was against RMU and Jensen can get comfy and patient in the pocket, this will be a good weapon.
3. Let Jensen throw out a few bombs. Give him a change to connect with our wr's and see how the cats react. If we let them get focused in on defending the run and short passes, throwing a few deep ones will let them know that we can do more than one thing on offense.

That's my 2 cents. C'mon Vigen, SHOW US THE MONEY!!

GO BISON!!!!!!!!!!!

Bison"FANatic"
12-03-2010, 10:54 PM
The no huddle last week did do a good job at not allowing RMU to substitute for the big (rather round) guys up front and they did get gassed. When we ran our reg O they substituted for them more.

perthbison
12-04-2010, 12:44 AM
I would like to see screens, end arounds, reverses, swing passes, quick slants, bubble screens, designed QB draws, quick hitches, and long bombs...ALL IN THE SAME GAME!

Agreed! I think we will.

Herd
12-04-2010, 01:17 AM
The no huddle last week did do a good job at not allowing RMU to substitute for the big (rather round) guys up front and they did get gassed. When we ran our reg O they substituted for them more.

The biggest effect of the no huddle was lots of 3 and outs by the bison. And lots of fans sitting on their hands. It was a total rhythm and momentum destroyer.

MinotBison
12-04-2010, 03:09 AM
Whatever they decide to do on offense is going to be tempered somewhat (maybe alot) by a cold and wet football, is it not? Did anyone happen to see how they did handling the ball during practice this week?

IzzyFlexion
12-04-2010, 05:29 PM

Yes to screens. Conditions will favor this plan and it's one of the strongest aspects of the Bison offense.
However, the defense has had some problems with screens so.....

ISXBISON
12-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Looking pretty solid so far!!!:D :D

Kevin
12-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Looking pretty solid so far!!!:D :D

With Jensen. We're back to utter failure with Mohler both in calling and execution.

ISXBISON
12-04-2010, 07:40 PM
With Jensen. We're back to utter failure with Mohler both in calling and execution.

Ya--Jenson was still in when I posted that. Still better than average with Mohler in too.

On_the_road
12-04-2010, 09:34 PM

Hey Kevin, you really got it right Bison are terrible. Sheeeeeeeeeeesh When will all of you punks start getting a positive attitude.

We lost our starting quarterback and our kids kept playing. We are a team that deserves our support, especially when things look tough. I am so tired of all the negativism on this site. People WAKE UP and support our team.

TransAmBison
12-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Hey Kevin, you really got it right Bison are terrible. Sheeeeeeeeeeesh When will all of you punks start getting a positive attitude.

We lost our starting quarterback and our kids kept playing. We are a team that deserves our support, especially when things look tough. I am so tired of all the negativism on this site. People WAKE UP and support our team.
You sure took your time to respond. Easy to make cracks like that waaaaaaay afterwards.

AEBison1998
12-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I think the play calling as much better. Much more variety on first down when the game was still in doubt.

TransAmBison
12-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I think the play calling as much better. Much more variety on first down when the game was still in doubt.
The play calls got better and better...I gotta give credit. Once they lightened up on attacking the middle and went to the perimeter it opened everything up...and then they could attack the middle again at times. Well played.

Notorious
12-04-2010, 09:39 PM

No question...quite a bit more play action on first and second down. Also better execution, which always helps :)

KC Bison
12-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that was Vigen's evil twin that was calling the plays today.
:D :D :D

On_the_road
12-04-2010, 10:10 PM
You sure took your time to respond. Easy to make cracks like that waaaaaaay afterwards.

Pardon me TransAmBison for watching and listening to the game, and not getting on this site until it was over. Give your sorry negative A$$ a break.

Kevin
12-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah that post was made before the run game took over. Great calls made by Vigen in the second half, the 4th quarter especially.

Can't wait for that horrible red turf. I hope Brock is healthy.