PDA

View Full Version : This Freshman Class

Mr. Burgundy
12-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Lets take a look at the freshman class this year. The future is pretty wild, these kids are a huge reason we are in the 2nd round of the playoffs!

Freshman Currently starting on Defense:
Marcus Williams: CB Honorable Mention All Conference as a true freshman.
Colten Heagle: S Has basically turned around our defense.
Leevon Perry: DT How often do you see a DT this athletic start as a TF?
Cole Jirik: Already a force at DE. How many sacks this year?
Grant Olson: LB Part time starter. Lead us in tackles last week playing outside linebacker. Future star and already the leader.

Freshman contributing a significant amount:
Don Carter: Special team leader. Future linebacker. Great frame.
Ryan Drevlow: Already in the DT rotation.
AJ Von Voorhis: FS Special teams player.

Players to watch for the in the future on defense:
Danny Luecke, out with injury at DE. Logan Hushka LB, Justin Juckem, who I think is a future star, but is playing behind THE STAR. Tyler Gimmestad, future NG.

Defensive Redshirts:
Wes Hudson listed as corner, been discussed on offense as well. Amazing talent.
Carlton Littlejohn: LB
Travis Beck: LB
Christian Dudzik: S
Tyler Gefroh: LB
Mike Hardie: DE

Scary to think about that defense.

Offense in another post

roadwarrior
12-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Absolutely! This group is going to be special.

bosco
12-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Ryan Smith...don't forget about him.

bosco
12-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Sorry...Didn't catch the "offense in a different post". Must be the cold meds.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Grant Olson is a solid player at LB. Really haven't missed a beat with him in there.

Mr. Burgundy
12-01-2010, 01:30 AM
Freshman Starters on Offense:
Jessie Hinz: Center. Has come in and played well after the injury to Lund.
Ryan Smith: Starting Punt Returner, will eventually see more time at RB/Slot.
Billy Turner. THE FUTURE. Right Tackle.
Brock Jensen: QB and the leader. huge upside. Just getting confident.

Freshman playing alot:
Mike Sigers: RB Most explosive player on the roster. Deadly in space.
Andrew Grothman: FB and special teams
Derrick Lang: FB moved to RB. Goal line and short yardage beast.

Kids waiting their chance:
Cooper Wahlo and Poweel Calhoun at WR
Taylor Nelson (Beast) at TE.
Jeff Jerve and Hank Jacobs at OT

Offensive Redshirts:
Zach Vraa: WR former Mr. Football MN.
Trevor Gebhart: WR highly rated player/speedster out of Sioux Falls (which makes all Bison fans love him).
Tevin Pittman 6'4 WR
Jason Pomerenke and Adam Schueller OL
Esley Thorton QB: kid will compete to play. Amazing competitor.
Adam Keller K

Also starting is Michael Murphy at Long Snapper.

Mr. Burgundy
12-01-2010, 01:32 AM
While I did that, it appears we have 15 graduating seniors. In case you were wondering about the size of this next recruiting class.

lakesbison
12-01-2010, 01:33 AM
ADD the 2 ARIZONA kids next year.
Sonnenfield can play right away
Kansas 6 4 Tight End.

those 4 could play right away.

Gully
12-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Wow. The future is bright. Great posts Burgandy. I don't know if we have quite enough to win on Saturday, but it's certainly possible. Either way, the future looks bright. If we get better QB, OL, and WR play next year...........look out!

Mr. Burgundy
12-01-2010, 01:35 AM
ADD the 2 ARIZONA kids next year.
Sonnenfield can play right away
Kansas 6 4 Tight End.

those 4 could play right away.

From my understanding, Sonnenfeld is going to play behind Eaves, so my guess is that he redshirts.

Mr. Burgundy
12-01-2010, 01:36 AM
Wow. The future is bright. Great posts Burgandy. I don't know if we have quite enough to win on Saturday, but it's certainly possible. Either way, the future looks bright. If we get better QB, OL, and WR play next year...........look out!

That is sort of why I posted this. In my honest opinion, I was really hoping for an improved record while playing a ton of young kids showing the fanbase that the future is bright. These kids have proven to be winners in their first and second years in the program. They could shock themselves this weekend and win! Sky is the limit.

ISXBISON
12-01-2010, 01:37 AM
I hope we don't see any leave for more playing time somewhere else. It'd be nice to have more than a few in these classes actually finish out their careers here.

99Bison
12-01-2010, 01:38 AM
this thread is like a repost from earlier today:

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22120

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Freshman Starters on Offense:
Jessie Hinz: Center. Has come in and played well after the injury to Lund.
Ryan Smith: Starting Punt Returner, will eventually see more time at RB/Slot.
Billy Turner. THE FUTURE. Right Tackle.
Brock Jensen: QB and the leader. huge upside. Just getting confident.

Freshman playing alot:
Mike Sigers: RB Most explosive player on the roster. Deadly in space.
Andrew Grothman: FB and special teams
Derrick Lang: FB moved to RB. Goal line and short yardage beast.

Kids waiting their chance:
Cooper Wahlo and Poweel Calhoun at WR
Taylor Nelson (Beast) at TE.
Jeff Jerve and Hank Jacobs at OT

Offensive Redshirts:
Zach Vraa: WR former Mr. Football MN.
Trevor Gebhart: WR highly rated player/speedster out of Sioux Falls (which makes all Bison fans love him).
Tevin Pittman 6'4 WR
Jason Pomerenke and Adam Schueller OL
Esley Thorton QB: kid will compete to play. Amazing competitor.
Adam Keller K

Also starting is Michael Murphy at Long Snapper.

Our future offense doesn't look quite as promising as our defense. Still a few question marks from the some of the starting freshmen on offense. I really hope the RS WR turn out. We desperately need help in this position.

However, Sigers and Grothman have shown early promise. Sigers has great moves and lighting quick speed. He will be a great RB for us, no doubt about it. Grothman is a tough nosed kid who is actually more athletic than Vandahl, he just needs to put on a few more pounds of muscle. He can move well in open space, and will contribute huge on the swing pass play that we seem to be very fond of.

Mr. Burgundy
12-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Our future offense doesn't look quite as promising as our defense. Still a few question marks from the some of the starting freshmen on offense. I really hope the RS WR turn out. We desperately need help in this position.

However, Sigers and Grothman have shown early promise. Sigers has great moves and lighting quick speed. He will be a great RB for us, no doubt about it. Grothman is a tough nosed kid who is actually more athletic than Vandahl, he just needs to put on a few more pounds of muscle. He can move well in open space, and will contribute huge on the swing pass play that we seem to be very fond of.

From what I have seen out of Taylor Nelson at TE, we are in good shape with him in the future. He is one big kid.

westnodak93bison
12-01-2010, 02:22 AM
That is sort of why I posted this. In my honest opinion, I was really hoping for an improved record while playing a ton of young kids showing the fanbase that the future is bright. These kids have proven to be winners in their first and second years in the program. They could shock themselves this weekend and win! Sky is the limit.

you forgot to say "Sky is the limit" Pun intended. As in "Big Sky"...get it? :D

westnodak93bison
12-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Question for you guys. Do you think recruiting becomes more difficult following a star studded class? Maybe some kids take a look and see it as being tough to break into the line up? I hope not.

AEBison1998
12-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Don't forget that we may get Sam Ojuri back as well. If so, he'll be a soph next year. I thought he looked athletic and has a bigger frame. He could be a tough back.

westnodak93bison
12-01-2010, 02:37 AM
What happened to Crockett and Colvin?

EndZoneQB
12-01-2010, 02:56 AM
Don't forget that we may get Sam Ojuri back as well. If so, he'll be a soph next year. I thought he looked athletic and has a bigger frame. He could be a tough back.

Yep, think Lamar Gordon. I can't imagine him and DJ together...it's scary. It would remind me a lot of Perkins/Gordon...any guy can break it at anytime.

I am glad we are still getting top notch RB's seemingly every year.

1998braves64
12-01-2010, 03:12 AM
I guess I want to make a comment on Grothman as he's from Hillsboro, where I currently live and watched him when he was a junior and senior in HS here. Being he's getting reps on special teams and every third or so play at FB, I don't think he gets much notice, but when I have paid close attention to him, he flat out blows people up occasionally. A couple times I've seen him put guys flat on their back and seems like he's been the FB on numerous of the long runs DJ has had this year. Would love to see him succeed as not many small town ND 9 man football players make it to a team of NDSU caliber. Also kudos to a lot of the younger players that have stepped up (such as those on the O-line) and made this season successful.

HandoEX
12-01-2010, 03:33 AM
I think Emmanuel and Colvin could both be future stars on defense as well :nod:

rutlandbison
12-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Kevin Vaadaland.

Kermit
12-01-2010, 03:35 AM
Yep, think Lamar Gordon. I can't imagine him and DJ together...it's scary. It would remind me a lot of Perkins/Gordon...any guy can break it at anytime.

I am glad we are still getting top notch RB's seemingly every year.

Good call, EZ. That is exactly the comparison that came to mind when I saw Ojuri practicing last spring.

Mr. Burgundy
12-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Colvin, Crocket and Ojuri would really make me happy! I hope they are all doing what it takes to be on this team next year!

NDSUFan_Sav
12-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Last I've heard Wes Hudson is moving back to RB kind of excited to see what he can do and hopefully he pans out!

SamsRams
12-01-2010, 04:04 AM
Leevon Perry: DT How often do you see a DT this athletic start as a TF?

Does that mean Perry greyshirted last year?

ndsubison1
12-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Last I've heard Wes Hudson is moving back to RB kind of excited to see what he can do and hopefully he pans out!

he will prolly move back to cb. no depth there next year

NDSUFan_Sav
12-01-2010, 05:30 AM

Why does it have to be next year, he'd be a freshmen....if I recall most our RBs haven't really got a majority of their carries until their jr/sr seasons

NDSUFan_Sav
12-01-2010, 05:33 AM
Also maybe when he moved to CB this year he couldn't really play D so they decided he'd be best fit on offense.

HerdBot
12-01-2010, 03:03 PM

Don't forget about Brendn Pierre. He's back from injury and young.

Grizzled
12-01-2010, 03:44 PM
The fun thing in the next few years is that a lot of other teams in the MVFC are as young as we where. It will make for some great competition in the years to come. Looking at the list posted with the all new comer team there are some very, very good young players in our conference.

coldspot
12-01-2010, 03:56 PM
The fun thing in the next few years is that a lot of other teams in the MVFC are as young as we where. It will make for some great competition in the years to come. Looking at the list posted with the all new comer team there are some very, very good young players in our conference.

I cant wait, in a couple of years, to hear from the people who were saying the MVFC was weak this year. if this is weak and the MVFC still got 3 teams into the playoffs, I would be scared in a few years what the conference could do.

Grizzled
12-01-2010, 03:58 PM
I cant wait, in a couple of years, to hear from the people who were saying the MVFC was weak this year. if this is weak and the MVFC still got 3 teams into the playoffs, I would be scared in a few years what the conference could do.

Well said. Also, forgot to add earlier congrats to all the young men who made all post season teams.

THEsocalledfan
12-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Good call, EZ. That is exactly the comparison that came to mind when I saw Ojuri practicing last spring.

What was he kicked off for? I can't even remember there was so much crap at once.

Last I asked, he was in school and keeping his nose clear. Is that still the word? If so, will Bohl have him back?

aces1180
12-01-2010, 07:52 PM
What was he kicked off for? I can't even remember there was so much crap at once.

Last I asked, he was in school and keeping his nose clear. Is that still the word? If so, will Bohl have him back?

I don't think he was kicked off, but was academically ineligible...Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

Bison bison
12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
he's off the team for the fall. may be welcome in the spring.

KilldeerBison
12-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I don't think he was kicked off, but was academically ineligible...Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

I had heard that the senior teammates voted him off. I think it would probably take the seniors to vote him back on. I'm not sure though.

Grizzled
12-01-2010, 08:15 PM

He was kicked off for some actions. He was lucky to even have a chance to get back on the team. So far he has been working out on his own and I believe will join the team in the spring.

aces1180
12-01-2010, 08:19 PM
He was kicked off for some actions. He was lucky to even have a chance to get back on the team. So far he has been working out on his own and I believe will join the team in the spring.

Ok...Thanks!

CAS4127
12-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I guess I want to make a comment on Grothman as he's from Hillsboro, where I currently live and watched him when he was a junior and senior in HS here. Being he's getting reps on special teams and every third or so play at FB, I don't think he gets much notice, but when I have paid close attention to him, he flat out blows people up occasionally. A couple times I've seen him put guys flat on their back and seems like he's been the FB on numerous of the long runs DJ has had this year. Would love to see him succeed as not many small town ND 9 man football players make it to a team of NDSU caliber. Also kudos to a lot of the younger players that have stepped up (such as those on the O-line) and made this season successful.

I have posted almost this exact same thing earlier, about mid-season. We Hillsboro residents have a keen eye.

Also, please BV, do not forget about my man (no, I am not like Lakes) Sigers. I actually think he is more of a scoring threat from anywhere on the field than McNorton, and a nice change up that is difficult for a D to react to in just one or two plays.

ndsubison1
12-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Don't forget about Brendn Pierre. He's back from injury and young.

:uhyeah: .

EndZoneQB
12-01-2010, 10:34 PM

Yup. The way I understand it was he was basically kicked off for the way he went about doing something. I believe the team just wanted to take control and send a message(which is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!). It was something dumb, and he completely regrets it. He's a good kid and he should be back ready to ROCK!

THEsocalledfan
12-02-2010, 12:18 AM

What actions? Or is THEsocalledfan not allowed to know?

EndZoneQB
12-02-2010, 02:27 AM
What actions? Or is THEsocalledfan not allowed to know?

It's never been posted on here, we try to keep that stuff between the team. :D

ISXBISON
12-02-2010, 02:44 AM

I'm still quite surprised they didn't send him packing. Not sure I would have made the same decision.
Hopefully he gets his shit together.

THEsocalledfan
12-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm still quite surprised they didn't send him packing. Not sure I would have made the same decision.

So, it sounds like some folks know what happened. PM me if you don't want to post it since you probably heard it from Lake's who got it from the cousin of the uncle who once sold Oujuri's grandpa a dog.

bisonpride4ever
12-02-2010, 01:52 PM

I have posted almost this exact same thing earlier, about mid-season. We Hillsboro residents have a keen eye.

Also, please BV, do not forget about my man (no, I am not like Lakes) Sigers. I actually think he is more of a scoring threat from anywhere on the field than McNorton, and a nice change up that is difficult for a D to react to in just one or two plays.

Hillsboro is where it's at!

westnodak93bison
12-02-2010, 01:58 PM

Not sure I agree with you. I think he will get his 2nd chance..from what I was told his action was less severe than say a DUI imho. I wont say what I was told so please dont ask.

NDSUFan_Sav
12-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Not sure I agree with you. I think he will get his 2nd chance..from what I was told his action was less severe than say a DUI imho. I wont say what I was told so please dont ask.

Can we just drop this issue please and get back on topic with all of these guys...Great thread Burgundy makes you really excited to see what we have out there now and what the future will look like I'm definitely excited for this team.