PDA

View Full Version : New turf coming soon???

NDSUstudent
11-23-2010, 05:44 AM
Bison football: Dome moving ahead to solve turf future

The Fargodome is doing the hurry-up offense on new artificial turf.

A project that was scheduled for replacement in 2015 as part of its master plan has an outside shot of being installed by next fall with a more realistic goal of 2012, said Fargo City Commissioner Dave Piepkorn, who represents the city on the dome finance committee.

It would be financed from the dome’s reserve fund, currently at $29 million, Piepkorn said, with NDSU kicking in a portion of the estimated $3 million replacement bill.

Some more improvements coming as well...

That’s not all the dome has in mind for projects, Piepkorn said. He said new a lighting system is expected to be completed in the next year and plans call for building a separate restroom/hospitality facility in the tailgating section west of the dome. Tailgating has blossomed in the last several years at Bison football games.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/299435/

NDSUFan_Sav
11-23-2010, 05:46 AM
see look what playoffs do for you (granted i'm sure it was discussed a lot before this) but now they're speeding things up and the marketing is trying more things and helping the students out even more especially with all this snow I think less students would of went to the bsa to get their tickets now they're in the union.

NDSUstudent
11-23-2010, 06:07 AM
Bathrooms with running water in the tailgate lots, Rabbit fans will be living it up when they come back to the dome.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Bathrooms with running water in the tailgate lots, Rabbit fans will be living it up when they come back to the dome.

that would call for an epic picture to compare the 2 :)

Da Bison
11-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Rabbit fans would probably be found peeing on the outside of the building:D:D

Bisonguy
11-23-2010, 12:33 PM
That’s not all the dome has in mind for projects, Piepkorn said. He said a new lighting system is expected to be completed in the next year and plans call for building a separate restroom/hospitality facility in the tailgating section west of the dome. Tailgating has blossomed in the last several years at Bison football games.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

tony
11-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Isn't the proposed turf what the Rams use? I wonder what Craig Dahl thinks about it.

Bison bison
11-23-2010, 12:46 PM
restroom/hospitality facility --- interesting.

can't imagine they won't consider moving ribfest to the west lot...

bisondad
11-23-2010, 12:56 PM
The new turf is a BIG DEAL. I think that is huge for NDSU football. HUGE!!!!! I'll bet that is the biggest recruiting negative about NDSU. Great news!!

tony
11-23-2010, 12:59 PM
The new turf is a BIG DEAL. I think that is huge for NDSU football. HUGE!!!!! I'll bet that is the biggest recruiting negative about NDSU. Great news!!

I was thinking the same... huge deal. This can't happen soon enough (I mean, I suppose it could if somebody had a time machine but that would probably increase the project's cost.)

I was also thinking, "Why aren't there 35 posts waiting approval from Bisonatrix?" (<== his previous incarnations waxed poetic about such topics.)

EagleBison
11-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Good to have a Bison insider working on the deal, former player Dave Piepkorn.

Tatanka
11-23-2010, 01:17 PM
I was thinking the same... huge deal. This can't happen soon enough (I mean, I suppose it could if somebody had a time machine but that would probably increase the project's cost.)

I was also thinking, "Why aren't there 35 posts waiting approval from Bisonatrix?" (<== his previous incarnations waxed poetic about such topics.)

Somewhere, deep in the dark recesses of his mom's basement, mplsbison01234atrix just woke up in a small puddle of his own making but he doesn't yet know why.

BisBison
11-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Plus, as the article states the Dome will be paying for most of the cost with NDSU stepping up for the balance. Hopefully this means we will have more say in how it looks. Like maybe more, bigger BISON logos vs. The huge Fargodome logo and letters across the middle.

bri-dog
11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
If we get new bathrooms, SDSU's tailgating facilities will now REALLY "pail" in comparison...:D

Gully
11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
New turf, lighting, and West lot "break" facilities would make the FFD a VERY, VERY nice place.

Now if we can just work on the scoreboard?!?

HerdBot
11-23-2010, 02:06 PM
PLEASE DO NOT PUT THE UGLY ARSE FARGODOME LOGO ON THE TURF!!!

New turf
New lights
Tailgating bathrooms and electricity
Permanant band section

Glad to see they are making an effort.

Bison15
11-23-2010, 02:25 PM

I would encourage everyone on this board to email Dave Piepkorn and share your opinion on the turf(F-A-R-G-O-D-O-M-E logo). I did.

dpiepkorn@cityoffargo.com

1bizon1
11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Could the lines and numbers be painted a nice harvest yellow? That would make it true Bison colors on the floor!

IndyBison
11-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Wow. The one-piece roll-up version of this turf is a lot more expensive that standard FieldTurf. Most high schools around here putting in FieldTurf get it done for $600-800k. And that includes having to rip up the sod and prep for the FieldTurf. Not sure if the prep would be different to put it down on concrete. Lucas Oil Stadium has FieldTurf but I'm not sure if they cover it for other events or remove it. I was on the floor last Spring for the Final Four but not didn't notice.

Bison15
11-23-2010, 03:33 PM
I would encourage everyone on this board to email Dave Piepkorn and share your opinion on the turf(F-A-R-G-O-D-O-M-E logo). I did.

dpiepkorn@cityoffargo.com

Just received a email reply from Dave Piepkorn.

I will do my best to insure that the Bison will be the main feature. I would anticipate that there may be " Naming rights " to the turf, but the main logo should be Bison! Dave P.

bisonmike2
11-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Just received a email reply from Dave Piepkorn.

Sweet! New lighting, new turf and a tailgating restroom area. Holy crap!

North Side
11-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Good to hear Dave is working on it!

westnodak93bison
11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
They have $29 million in reserves and can't get new turf in asap? What the hell is the delay? Write the damn check, the stuff will probably go up tens of thousands of dollars in a year or two so may as well bite the bullet now and get it cheaper?

Thunder_Struck
11-23-2010, 04:40 PM
What logo do you want to see on the 50?

Old School Bison
New Logo
NDSU with Bison
Just letters NDSU

aces1180
11-23-2010, 04:41 PM

Old School Bison
New Logo
NDSU with Bison
Just letters NDSU

It will never happen with the old school Bison, as they aren't allowed to use that anymore (per university rules).

I would like to see the yellow Bison head personally.

North Side
11-23-2010, 05:05 PM
my guess would be the same logo that is at the center for the basketball court
but maybe the brown logo would be better might show up on the turf easier? I do like the current end zone logo with NDSU on one side and BISON the other

http://www.decal-orations.com/images/graphics/n/nd/ndsu_bison34.png

AEBison1998
11-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Yellow Turf!!!!

:)

BadlandsBison
11-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Yellow Turf!!!!

Lol. The intimidation factor would be exponential.

CarringtonBison
11-23-2010, 05:31 PM

Old School Bison
New Logo
NDSU with Bison
Just letters NDSU

GIANT picture of Lakes, in homage to the one who created all NDSU

Herd Mentality
11-23-2010, 05:39 PM
As long as these projects turn out better than the "improved sound" project did.... :banghead:

Gully
11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
It will never happen with the old school Bison, as they aren't allowed to use that anymore (per university rules).

I would like to see the yellow Bison head personally.

I thought they still sold some merchandise with the old logo. Please explain the university rules you speak of?

aces1180
11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
I thought they still sold some merchandise with the old logo. Please explain the university rules you speak of?

http://www.ndsu.edu/vpur/logousage/

Maybe they can use it under certain circumstances like retro merchandise?

Gully
11-23-2010, 05:55 PM

Thanks. It seems I was confusing logo with mascot and I noticed the snorting bison athletics mascot isn't the same old snorting bison from back in the day. I guess I need to pay closer attention!

Somebody must have had a lot of time on their hands to create all those value added regulations. That was sarcasm.

Hammersmith
11-23-2010, 05:56 PM
They have $29 million in reserves and can't get new turf in asap? What the hell is the delay? Write the damn check, the stuff will probably go up tens of thousands of dollars in a year or two so may as well bite the bullet now and get it cheaper?

That money has to last for at least another 30 years. They can't afford to install something that doesn't work. The Rogers Centre(Blue Jays) spent millions installing the first gen convertible infill turf system(trays), then had to pull it out 5 years later and replace it with a short-roll system for millions more. Whatever the FD installs has to last for at least 10 years. The current full-roll system only has two years under its belt. Only now can they be confident enough in the product to start budgeting for it.

tony
11-23-2010, 05:58 PM

I don't think they are more saying that they don't want the university to use anything but the NDSU logo. The "bison" stuff is part of the Athletic Department's domain.

They still sell retro stuff but really doubt the old stuff is going to show up on the turf. The Bison head would be good. So would the letters NDSU arranged at the center of the field. Of course, what wouldn't be an improvement over a mustard-snot yellow pinwheel?

Thunder_Struck
11-23-2010, 06:13 PM
If you want to see a waste of Fargodome money, just lookup what they paid the designers of that mustard pinwheel.

90 BISON
11-23-2010, 06:22 PM

New turf
New lights
Tailgating bathrooms and electricity
Permanant band section

Glad to see they are making an effort.

^^^This^^^

Tatanka
11-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Hmmm... Imagine that, a building that actually MAKES money spending some of the profits on facility improvements.

Compare and contrast if you will to a building that has NEVER broken even doing the same thing... with whose money? Hmmmmmm....

HerdBot
11-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Yellow Turf!!!!

Boise and their blue turf has been successful from a marketing angle. So successful that eastern Washington did red turf this year. I would love to see yellow or gold turf with green letters. It would be the 3rd colored turf in the US!

Anyone good with photo shop?

Gully
11-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Boise and their blue turf has been successful from a marketing angle. So successful that eastern Washington did red turf this year. I would love to see yellow or gold turf with green letters. It would be the 3rd colored turf in the US!

Yellow turf would be hidious (and blinding). how about green with yellow stripes....not sure if that is legal.

HerdBot
11-23-2010, 06:34 PM
That money has to last for at least another 30 years. They can't afford to install something that doesn't work. The Rogers Centre(Blue Jays) spent millions installing the first gen convertible infill turf system(trays), then had to pull it out 5 years later and replace it with a short-roll system for millions more. Whatever the FD installs has to last for at least 10 years. The current full-roll system only has two years under its belt. Only now can they be confident enough in the product to start budgeting for it.

How does the Alerus pay for turf when they lose money every year?

Bison"FANatic"
11-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Oh God not me. I don't want any turf that looks like we pissed ourselves all over our turf. For that matter I don't like the turf that looks like a smurf village or the turf that looks like a massacre took place on the football field either.

bisonmike2
11-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Hmmm... Imagine that, a building that actually MAKES money spending some of the profits on facility improvements.

Compare and contrast if you will to a building that has NEVER broken even doing the same thing... with whose money? Hmmmmmm....

Sure their current building doesn't make money, but they are just getting out the kinks so that their 35,000 seat retractable roof stadium will make money on day 1.

CAS4127
11-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Oh God not me. I don't want any turf that looks like we pissed ourselves all over our turf. For that matter I don't like the turf that looks like a smurf village or the turf that looks like a massacre took place on the football field either.

Perhaps a turf that colors can be changed for a given game, as in your last description and when we play UND at home again.

Bison"FANatic"
11-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Perhaps a turf that colors can be changed for a given game, as in your last description and when we play UND at home again.

Them boys up north don't bleed red more like rainbow

bisonmike2
11-23-2010, 06:43 PM
How does the Alerus pay for turf when they lose money every year?

The taxpayers of Grand Forks are very generous people.

Bisonguy
11-23-2010, 06:47 PM

So, the Fargodome is on it's second Magic Carpet surface?? :confused:

HerdBot
11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
I know these things come in phases but here's my dream wishlist...

Add concrete to the grass to eliminate mud

A permanant lit up sign on the side of the dome with a Bison Helmet that says Home Of NDSU Bison Football.

Bison flags throughout the Parking Lot and on the dome

Video board outside the dome. Could be paid for with advertising run year round.

Warming house / restrooms / tailgating center for cold playoff games chock full of Bison memorabilia!

Outside permanant vendors to sell beer and burgers for those who don't have a grill with green& yellow picnic tables.

More trees to expand the rainforest.

Green/yellow accent lighting in the dome

Hansel
11-23-2010, 06:49 PM

I beleive the the fieldturf full roll system is on its second year of use by other facilities?????

Bisonguy
11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Here's one from the way-back machine for all to enjoy- http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5841

Bisonguy
11-23-2010, 06:52 PM
I beleive the the fieldturf full roll system is on its second year of use by other facilities?????

Good grief.:blush: Guess that's what I get for trying to read bisonville and try to get a little work done at the same time.

Hammersmith
11-23-2010, 07:10 PM

No, I meant the new Magic Carpet II system has only been available for two years. I think the turf used in MC2 has been around a little longer(maybe 4 years), but the hydraulic system used to retract it was only developed for Northern Michigan two years ago. I'm 99.9% certain that the current FD rollup mechanism will have to be replaced for the new turf. I wouldn't be surprised if the new turf weighs 3-5 times as much as the old stuff. I think the current system(MC1) uses electric winches to roll it up. Try to use those things with the new stuff and I think you'd have to have some fire extinguishers handy. I'm just saying that the FD can't afford to waste $3 million on a crappy product, and we didn't know where this new system fell until very recently.

Past FD
Astroturf 7(zippered) in a short-roll system

Current FD:
Astroturf 7(one seam) using Magic Carpet conversion system

Future FD:
Astroturf GameDay 3D infill turf with new Magic Carpet II conversion system

edit: and Hansel beat me to it

bisonmike2
11-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Here's one from the way-back machine for all to enjoy- http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5841

So is what is on the floor in the FFD still the used carpet from TCU? If so, that's pathetic.

bisonmike2
11-23-2010, 07:13 PM

A permanant lit up sign on the side of the dome with a Bison Helmet that says Home Of NDSU Bison Football.

Video board outside the dome. Could be paid for with advertising run year round.

Warming house / restrooms / tailgating center for cold playoff games chock full of Bison memorabilia!

Outside permanant vendors to sell beer and burgers for those who don't have a grill with green& yellow picnic tables.

All great ideas. And most of them would be fairly easy to implement.

Hammersmith
11-23-2010, 07:19 PM
So is what is on the floor in the FFD still the used carpet from TCU? If so, that's pathetic.

No, that was the stuff from 1993. The current stuff was purchased new sometime between 1999-2000. I think you can generally get 10 years of use out of turf installed outside, and maybe 13-15 years from indoor turf if it's properly maintained. The current turf is still in good condition, it's just been rendered obsolete by infill turfs.

Bisonguy
11-23-2010, 07:20 PM

No, the Magic Carpet Classic (nearly seamless) was installed somewhere back in 2001-2002 and was a brand new surface at that time.

I wonder if they'll have to dig a bigger pit for the new turf? :confused:

Hammer- the used turf from TCU wasn't on the Magic Carpet system though, right?

Hammersmith
11-23-2010, 07:24 PM

Maybe this deserves to be in a seperate thread, but would a bar/resturant be a positive or negative in the north end of the grass lot(like was attempted about a year ago). If done with an eye towards tailgating, I could see it as a plus. But I could also see it as a minus if it was set up to compete with tailgating. Thoughts?

roadwarrior
11-23-2010, 07:27 PM

A bigger pit would seem likely, and probably the reason the $3 million figure was used in the paper.

The TCU used turf had zippers that held it together - not magic carpet.

HerdBot
11-23-2010, 07:28 PM
All great ideas. And most of them would be fairly easy to implement.

Yes and easy to pay for.

Video board- advertising revenue.

Vendors- privately owned. Make them pay for a few things on the list for the opportunity. A section of concrete and some flags.

Trees- not expensive anyway

Tailgate center- accept donations in the tailgate lot. Sell bricks with donations name engraved in them.

CAS4127
11-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Maybe this deserves to be in a seperate thread, but would a bar/resturant be a positive or negative in the north end of the grass lot(like was attempted about a year ago). If done with an eye towards tailgating, I could see it as a plus. But I could also see it as a minus if it was set up to compete with tailgating. Thoughts?

BWW North, Applebees and Labby's!

NDSUstudent
11-23-2010, 07:31 PM
The St. Louis Rams just installed this turf in their dome for $2.5 million so I would guess the pit needs to be a bit deeper. Also if the Rams are buying it must say good things about its quality.

Hammersmith
11-23-2010, 07:41 PM
No, the Magic Carpet Classic (nearly seamless) was installed somewhere back in 2001-2002 and was a brand new surface at that time.

I'm thought it was, but maybe you're right. I know that the TCU stuff had zippers, but I thought that was because the FD bought it on the cheap, and not because of the lack of the MC system. I assumed the FD kept the turf zippered at all times and rolled it up just like the stuff that would replace it. Isn't the storage pit part of the original design of the FD? If it is, then I think the MC system was there from day-1. If it was added later, then the MC system was added with the new turf in 2001-ish. Anyone know for sure? I was on the TCU turf dozens of times, but I never saw it being rolled out or up.

edit: Well, road says in came with the new turf, so I'm wrong again. My know-it-all crown has been getting pretty tarnished lately.

Bisonguy
11-23-2010, 07:45 PM
I thought the TCU turf was a pretty quick stop-gap for a playing surface and was replaced a couple years after the Fargodome was opened (with a similar surface). Maybe it wasn't and just should have been replaced, but I thought players and opponents were complaining about the seams the second year they were playing on it.

roadwarrior
11-23-2010, 07:48 PM
They designed the building with the pit knowing that they wanted to install the magic carpet system sometime in the future, but it wasn't used until the new stuff was purchased.

The original zippered turf was flooded twice, and the zippers were rusting badly. This speeded up the magic carpet turf purchase.

HerdBot
11-23-2010, 08:11 PM

I'm confused. When did we attempt to open a bar/resturant?

It could be a hybrid resturant/bar/warming house/rest room/picnic area with a giant overhang to escape from the rain. They could build a bad ass fire pit. Permanant tailgating games. It could be pretty cool.

CAS4127
11-23-2010, 08:14 PM

It could be a hybrid resturant/bar/warming house/rest room/picnic area with a giant overhang to escape from the rain. They could build a bad ass fire pit. Permanant tailgating games. It could be pretty cool.

Please, please don't forget a large, enclosed area where group hugs will take place--Y not splurge a little.:D

Bison"FANatic"
11-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Please, please don't forget a large, enclosed area where group hugs will take place--Y not splurge a little.:D

Will the ice fishing team be there????????:D :D :D :D :D

CAS4127
11-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Will the ice fishing team be there????????:D :D :D :D :D

No, they have a previous, and continuing engagement with TOHBTC!:D :nod:

Hammersmith
11-23-2010, 08:42 PM

About a year ago, there was a proposal in front of the FD Authority to partition off the northernmost chunk of the west lot and grant a lease for an unspecified restuarant. The FDA eventually decided that they didn't want to give up the parking space and voted the idea down. I think this was also around the time that the FD arena was still a possibility, and they expected to lose parking spaces in the south lots as well. Whoever was responsible for starting the idea was thinking of building it close enough to the hotel to grab the business traveler market. I just thought it would be interesting to revisit the idea with the other possible improvements that are being talked about.

HerdBot
11-23-2010, 08:52 PM
About a year ago, there was a proposal in front of the FD Authority to partition off the northernmost chunk of the west lot and grant a lease for an unspecified restuarant. The FDA eventually decided that they didn't want to give up the parking space and voted the idea down. I think this was also around the time that the FD arena was still a possibility, and they expected to lose parking spaces in the south lots as well. Whoever was responsible for starting the idea was thinking of building it close enough to the hotel to grab the business traveler market. I just thought it would be interesting to revisit the idea with the other possible improvements that are being talked about.

Must have missed that one. It would be cool as long as its not some lame national chain and there is a huge OUTDOOR presence. Im thinking the resturant would gave to be a place like zorbaz (just an idea) connected to a huge tailgate/restroom/overhang area.

Heck any pizza place could survive year round just doing deliveries.

roadwarrior
11-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Doesn't a restaurant kind of defeat the purpose of tailgating?

CAS4127
11-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Yes, but can we still have our group hug location?:hide:

HerdBot
11-23-2010, 09:10 PM

Outdoor resturant designed for tailgaters who are not as hardcore. The key is it has to fit in with the atmosphere, have bathrooms, Bison memorabilia, and a rain shelter w heat lamps. Must have tailgating games, music, and a giant firepit. NO BIG CHAINS!!

Herd Mentality
11-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Build a Team Store into the SHAC facing the FFD (fabulous fargo dome). Have enough sidewalk/mall space out front for the university sponsored stuff along with a permanent bathroom facility. Move tailgating to the South and SE lots.

Gully
11-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Build a Team Store into the SHAC facing the FFD (fabulous fargo dome). Have enough sidewalk/mall space out front for the university sponsored stuff along with a permanent bathroom facility. Move tailgating to the South and SE lots.

Now there you go being logical again. Instead, they'll confine tailgating to the grass lots only and double the price of each spot.

Bisonguy
11-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Just saw that the St. Louis Rams install for their Magic Carpet II was $2.5MM and used the Gameday Grass 3D (http://www.astroturfusa.com/GameDay-Grass.aspx)

ACECON
01-25-2015, 12:54 AM
Bison football: Dome moving ahead to solve turf future

Some more improvements coming as well...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/299435/

I'm not questioning the $3M price tag to replace the turf. I'm just comparing it to Boise State's replacement a few years ago of under $1M, years before that (7) it was around $700K. BSU's is Field Turf. Being able to roll it up must really increase the price. Just saying. Does NDSU and the Fargodome have a a cycle of when they redo the turf or depends on the wear. BSU is on a 7 year cycle. The technology of these products seems to change for the better annually.

StL Bison Fan
01-25-2015, 01:01 AM
I'm not questioning the $3M price tag to replace the turf. I'm just comparing it to Boise State's replacement a few years ago of under $1M, years before that (7) it was around $700K. BSU's is Field Turf. Being able to roll it up must really increase the price. Just saying. Does NDSU and the Fargodome have a a cycle of when they redo the turf or depends on the wear. BSU is on a 7 year cycle. The technology of these products seems to change for the better annually.
Don't know the cycle for ours but have you seen coastal Carolina's new turf?

Tatanka
01-25-2015, 01:17 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23514197.jpg

Bisonguy
01-25-2015, 01:21 AM

Depends on wear. The turf doesn't have to deal with the environmental factors that damage the turf in an outdoor install and it's rolled up and not in use the majority of the time.

Having the capacity to roll up the turf is extremely expensive (IIRC, about $1MM was just for increasing the size of the pit the turf is stored in), but has a very good return on investment for the Fargodome due to the multi-event nature of the building.

Bisonguy
01-25-2015, 01:22 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23514197.jpg

Off season thread dredge. What else could we talk about?

Hammersmith
01-25-2015, 01:22 AM

Wow. Thread necromancer. Anyway...

To break it down into really crude(to the point of inaccurate) numbers, the $3M was made up of three parts. The turf itself cost something like $1M. Maybe another million for the mechanism to roll it up. The remaining money went to altering the Fargodome for the larger turf. You see, the new turf was significantly thicker than the old stuff. That meant that, when rolled up, the rolled turf made up a much larger cylinder. The cylinder drops into a concrete-lined pit under one of the end zone stands. To handle the new turf, the pit had to be broken up, enlarged, and re-poured. And because the new turf is filled with the rubber-like pellets, it weighs a whole lot more than the old stuff. That's why the entire mechanism needed to be replaced.

As long as the next turf we put in isn't noticeably thicker or heavier than the current stuff, the cost should only be around a million(or whatever regular turf is going for at that time). We're going for about 10 years per turf. The rolling up process puts a little extra wear and tear on the turf, but being indoors and rolled up most of the time saves far more wear compared to outdoor turfs that deal with weather and UV.

Our current turf is actually our fourth. The first was purchased used to save a few bucks. I think they got about seven years out of it. The second turf was bought new and was a direct replacement, so no modifications needed to be made at the time. I think we got about 12 years out of it, but it was in sad shape at the end. The third turf was the one that required the reconstruction and the $3M price tag. Ironically, it only lasted a single season due to installation errors causing tears in the backing. It was replaced with our current(4th) turf free of charge due to it being their fault. We actually bought the damaged third turf and installed it on one of our practice fields. The backing had tears in it, but those don't matter if you glue it down in a fixed place. You can see it in Google Maps if you go to the Fargodome and then scroll about two blocks southeast.

IndyBison
01-25-2015, 01:33 AM
The third turf lasted one GAME. Field turf installed at high schools where they are exposed to the elements and used several times through the week by soccer, lacrosse, sub varsity, youth games, band, and practices lasts about 10 years. We've had a couple high schools replace their original turf in the past couple years. It still makes financial sense over grad if you have the cash to pay for it.

imabison
01-25-2015, 01:40 AM
The third turf lasted one GAME. Field turf installed at high schools where they are exposed to the elements and used several times through the week by soccer, lacrosse, varsity, youth games, band, and practices lasts about 10 years. We've had a couple high schools replace their original turf in the past couple years. It still makes financial sense over grad if you have the cash to pay for it.
Actually I think 3rd turf lasted 1 game because NDSU probably requested it, the other option may Ave been to move game.
Play the game, NDSU had a 2 week break to install the prearranged new replacement.

Hammersmith
01-25-2015, 01:42 AM
The third turf lasted one GAME. Field turf installed at high schools where they are exposed to the elements and used several times through the week by soccer, lacrosse, sub varsity, youth games, band, and practices lasts about 10 years. We've had a couple high schools replace their original turf in the past couple years. It still makes financial sense over grad if you have the cash to pay for it.

That's right. Didn't they find out about the tears around the time of spring practice, but the FD schedule plus the lead time of making new turf meant if couldn't be installed over the summer? Then there was a couple weeks after the first home game before the second home game, so they did the switch then. I forgot about that.

1998braves64
01-25-2015, 02:50 AM
That's right. Didn't they find out about the tears around the time of spring practice, but the FD schedule plus the lead time of making new turf meant if couldn't be installed over the summer? Then there was a couple weeks after the first home game before the second home game, so they did the switch then. I forgot about that.

Pretty sure new turf was installed after the spring game like June or July due to busy spring schedule of fargodome. They discovered the issue when they rolled it out for the first game or a practice if I remembered right, as they were talking about how it was ok to play on, but couldn't roll it back up. Sprinturf then came and replaced it in the 2 weeks, think they had to work 24 hours just to get it done, or a week that NDSU just happened to have a couple road games.

ACECON
01-25-2015, 05:02 AM
[QUOTE=StL Bison Fan;977408]Don't know the cycle for ours but have you seen coastal Carolina's new turf?

5422[/QUOT
I saw it this afternoon. A few years that color was really in. I don't have a problem with it, I like different. Since BSU put theirs in in 1986, it has become a trademark.

imabison
01-25-2015, 05:30 AM
I was correct in theory. Blame it on beers

StL Bison Fan
01-25-2015, 06:32 AM
[QUOTE=StL Bison Fan;977408]Don't know the cycle for ours but have you seen coastal Carolina's new turf?

5422[/QUOT
I saw it this afternoon. A few years that color was really in. I don't have a problem with it, I like different. Since BSU put theirs in in 1986, it has become a trademark.

With pink accents it would look swell. I love that color but even fake grass should be green.

BisonHorns
01-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Looks like a gimmick to get people interested in their team. Still way better tban red!

BYZEN
01-25-2015, 02:08 PM
I have a few questions for the ever so knowledgeable experts on this board:

-Has anyone noticed that the yard lines are starting to role out curved near the North end? Not bad like the Unidump but still I can notice it from my seats looking down teh lines.

-Is there a way they can mark the backing and the floor so they know when it's rolling out it is right?

-It seam's to be the same all season so maybe it is a Sprint Turf issue?

IzzyFlexion
01-25-2015, 02:45 PM
SD and I laughed weekly at the North 15 yard line. Horrible.

westnodak93bison
01-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Same thing on the south side 40,30,20 etc. How do they let that happen?

BYZEN
01-25-2015, 02:57 PM
I don't recall this being a problem with any of the other brands of turf.:confused:

Hammerhead
01-25-2015, 04:50 PM

-Has anyone noticed that the yard lines are starting to role out curved near the North end? Not bad like the Unidump but still I can notice it from my seats looking down teh lines.

-Is there a way they can mark the backing and the floor so they know when it's rolling out it is right?

I've noticed that too and it looked worse than the Unidome. Here's what their turf looked like in 2008.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/gjhammer/NDSU%20Football/aaaa.jpg (http://s707.photobucket.com/user/gjhammer/media/NDSU%20Football/aaaa.jpg.html)

TNbison
01-25-2015, 04:51 PM

Anyone know the warranty on the turf? What is it, 2 years old now? 3? Sounds like someone should be on the horn getting us another "free" practice field

Hammersmith
01-25-2015, 04:53 PM
Anyone know the warranty on the turf? What is it, 2 years old now? 3? Sounds like someone should be on the horn getting us another "free" practice field

It wouldn't be a problem with the turf. It would be an issue with the roll out mechanism. And it's probably operator error rather than mechanical fault.

And regards to another post, it's Astroturf, not Sprinturf.

MAKBison
01-25-2015, 05:04 PM
It wouldn't be a problem with the turf. It would be an issue with the roll out mechanism. And it's probably operator error rather than mechanical fault.

And regards to another post, it's Astroturf, not Sprinturf.

Shoot....every field has its quirks.

BisonNeil
01-25-2015, 05:07 PM
I've noticed that too and it looked worse than the Unidome. Here's what their turf looked like in 2008.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/gjhammer/NDSU%20Football/aaaa.jpg (http://s707.photobucket.com/user/gjhammer/media/NDSU%20Football/aaaa.jpg.html)

Unidome, Unidome, where the hell is that? Did you mean to say Unidump?

westnodak93bison
01-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Unidome, Unidome, where the hell is that? Did you mean to say Unidump?
Our turf looks just as bad. :mad:

Vet70
01-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Our turf looks just as bad. :mad:

Just goes to prove that it's not the quality of the turf that wins championships,

A1pigskin
01-25-2015, 07:15 PM
Just goes to prove that it's not the quality of the turf that wins championships,

It may help reduce injuries.

Vet70
01-25-2015, 09:20 PM
It may help reduce injuries.

Very good point.

1998braves64
01-25-2015, 11:31 PM
North end 15 yard line has been bad from beginning, have to wonder if it is a bit of layout issue. It is always crooked and never varies (indicating it is not operator or mechanism issues??).
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Bison Loaf
01-26-2015, 12:19 AM

And this, of course, is why we pound our opponents into submission up the middle - it's at least 5 or 10 yards farther per drive and that makes it even MORE demoralizing when they can't stop it! :biggrin:

(Ok, some of this should probably be in purple, but some of it is the hot damn truth! I'll leave it in black and let you decide!)

Dubbsy
01-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Well I'll cautiously answer some of this... I'd say I'm not in a position to make official statements?

You see, the new turf was significantly thicker than the old stuff.
The backing had tears in it, but those don't matter if you glue it down in a fixed place. You can see it in Google Maps if you go to the Fargodome and then scroll about two blocks southeast.
The new turf in fact is at best negligibly thicker than the old stuff. The difference is weight. The old turf was estimated somewhere under 200,000lbs where I've heard numbers ranging from 350,000 to 450,000lbs for the new system. Judging by some of the rolls we lay by hand I'd guess that the new stuff could easily be triple the weight of the old system. With the weight came a significant update in the power behind the roll mechanism. Originally the electric motors (it was 1 or 2 total, I don't recall) were housed within the pit which was the full 202' width of the floor. The new system is set up with 4 motors driven off the ends of the roll and a new hydraulic system to help keep the roll level as it rolls in and out. The updates to the pit included widening the pit 20-30' each direction and pouring concrete pedestals to support new mechanicals. The mechanical system is all 95% new for this turf only reusing some pre-existing hydraulics and winches. If you're ever curious and looking in those corners, the gray steel lids on the ramps into the corner represent the pit addition.

1) Yes. AstroTurf is also aware of it.
2) No. The turf is no longer rolled out in sideline to sideline rolls like it used to be (early 2000s before my time). The turf pulls out in one sheet. It can be steered a few inches East or West during the process but we have no control over the curve
3) It's a combination of factors is probably best I can say right now. There is an equipment update that is starred as the most promising solution - past that we try things to make it better.

I'll try not to be offended.

bisonp
01-26-2015, 03:34 PM
One thing that bugs me about the current turf is the endzones. The yellow looked great three years ago but now they are looking pretty dingy. Is that because of different color infill getting mixed in? Or do they need to be periodically re-painted?

Overall I think it looks OK. Some turf looks like 70's leftover shag carpet on TV.

Dubbsy
01-26-2015, 04:17 PM
One thing that bugs me about the current turf is the endzones. The yellow looked great three years ago but now they are looking pretty dingy. Is that because of different color infill getting mixed in? Or do they need to be periodically re-painted?

The infill throughout the entire field is black. The color is all actual colored fibers and the only paint done is the Semi-final NCAA logos and some white hash marks.

The turf has always had kind of a dirty haze to it because of the loose infill. Part of the issue is the infill and turf builds up static that pushes the infill up. If you're ever in the building early enough on game day to see staff pulling a green drag behind the bobcat cart - that's covered in fabric softener to take take out the static. Usually that'll help 'brighten' up the colors.

bisonp
01-26-2015, 04:39 PM
The infill throughout the entire field is black. The color is all actual colored fibers and the only paint done is the Semi-final NCAA logos and some white hash marks.

The turf has always had kind of a dirty haze to it because of the loose infill. Part of the issue is the infill and turf builds up static that pushes the infill up. If you're ever in the building early enough on game day to see staff pulling a green drag behind the bobcat cart - that's covered in fabric softener to take take out the static. Usually that'll help 'brighten' up the colors.

Thanks for the info.

I looked back at the Georgia Southern 2012 game, and it really did look a lot better than it did this year. Maybe it is starting to get worn? Hopefully it doesn't get worse over the next 7 or so years. I can imagine just regular wear and tear and stains are more easily seen on yellow.

Bison Loaf
01-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info.

I looked back at the Georgia Southern 2012 game, and it really did look a lot better than it did this year. Maybe it is starting to get worn? Hopefully it doesn't get worse over the next 7 or so years. I can imagine just regular wear and tear and stains are more easily seen on yellow.

A lot of home playoff games will do that, you know. Already 2 extra home seasons played on that rug!

Hammersmith
01-26-2015, 05:11 PM

Ditto the thanks for the info.

How is the turf pulled along the floor? The roll itself stays in the north end, correct? Is the turf pulled across the field using winches in the south end zone? If so, how many attachment points; two, three, four? Or is it some other sort of system altogether? IIRC, the old turf had some sort of air-filled cushion underneath that "floated" the turf a bit to make it easier to move. Does the new turf have a similar system?

Dubbsy
01-26-2015, 05:41 PM
How is the turf pulled along the floor? The roll itself stays in the north end, correct? Is the turf pulled across the field using winches in the south end zone? If so, how many attachment points; two, three, four? Or is it some other sort of system altogether? IIRC, the old turf had some sort of air-filled cushion underneath that "floated" the turf a bit to make it easier to move. Does the new turf have a similar system?

Correct, the roll stays in the north end. I'll also note that it isn't under the seats at all. The pit begins about 6" south of the back of the endzone on the south end. Next there are 3 panels laid by machine and 3 panels laid by hand to cover the lids for the pit.

There are 11 hydraulic winches on the North end that connect to the spar which is a continuous steel square tube on what becomes the north end of the turf. The spar also has a dozen or so carriers with 4 wheels each that allow us to steer (steering is a generous term) the turf as it does down the floor.

The air system is 2 rows of tubes under the floor, one about 5 yards from the pit and another about mid-field. They are fed air from two large Ag-style blowers (think floor air in a grain bin) in the pit. There are 6-8 12" holes in each row (covered with steel grates) where the air blows up under the turf.

The blower system and winches are all largely the same as before with some small changes in the mechanics.

56BISON73
01-27-2015, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the info.

Different lighting.

HerdBot
01-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Different lighting.

the lights were installed before the 2011 season and the turf was 2012.
http://www.wday.com/content/fargodome-gets-new-lights-time-bison-opener

ACECON
01-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Correct, the roll stays in the north end. I'll also note that it isn't under the seats at all. The pit begins about 6" south of the back of the endzone on the south end. Next there are 3 panels laid by machine and 3 panels laid by hand to cover the lids for the pit.

There are 11 hydraulic winches on the North end that connect to the spar which is a continuous steel square tube on what becomes the north end of the turf. The spar also has a dozen or so carriers with 4 wheels each that allow us to steer (steering is a generous term) the turf as it does down the floor.

The air system is 2 rows of tubes under the floor, one about 5 yards from the pit and another about mid-field. They are fed air from two large Ag-style blowers (think floor air in a grain bin) in the pit. There are 6-8 12" holes in each row (covered with steel grates) where the air blows up under the turf.

The blower system and winches are all largely the same as before with some small changes in the mechanics.

I found this, which shows the installation of new turf. There are three youtube videos towards the bottom to watch. Quite a operation with the pit and everything. I would still like to see a video of the actual rolling up of the turf, if there is one out there. astroturfusa.blogspot.com/2012/06/astroturf-magic-carpet-ii-system.html

BadlandsGrizFan
01-27-2015, 08:54 PM

Naaahh theres more ahead of you, Central Arkansas plays on purple turf I believe, and Coastal Carolina is currently putting in their "teal" turf. But believe me you DO NOT want to go full retard like eastern did on the red turf. Also I agree with whoever mentioned the not so large advertising, but I imagine that would be hard to do for NDSU since the Fargodome isn't university owned.

ACECON
01-27-2015, 09:38 PM
In Eastern Washington's case of installing Red Turf (The Inferno). A Major contributor to the cost was from a 2005 grad ( Titans Pro Player) named Mike Roos. From what I have heard is that he wanted it Red, since he shelled out a major portion of the money. The field is actually named after him.

Hammersmith
01-27-2015, 10:31 PM
Naaahh theres more ahead of you, Central Arkansas plays on purple turf I believe, and Coastal Carolina is currently putting in their "teal" turf. But believe me you DO NOT want to go full retard like eastern did on the red turf. Also I agree with whoever mentioned the not so large advertising, but I imagine that would be hard to do for NDSU since the Fargodome isn't university owned.

This thread started over four years ago. When he wrote that, only Boise and EWU had colored turf.

Dubbsy
01-28-2015, 12:39 AM
I would still like to see a video of the actual rolling up of the turf, if there is one out there.

It would be a pretty boring video.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/v/t1.0-9/1238884_997548873540_1060805123_n.jpg?oh=4d8e6f32e 8b39141d707b0441e3f783a&oe=5566F3F5&__gda__=1432846394_c9ba7d9746f6f8d4ee083a290490927 7

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/v/t1.0-9/579096_10100104187131590_172912246_n.jpg?oh=7dd95b 8f7d2cc6d8396ce7581d9af48a&oe=55264ECA

IzzyFlexion
01-28-2015, 12:56 AM
In Eastern Washington's case of installing Red Turf (The Inferno). A Major contributor to the cost was from a 2005 grad ( Titans Pro Player) named Mike Roos. From what I have heard is that he wanted it Red, since he shelled out a major portion of the money. The field is actually named after him.

I think I knew his brother Kanga.......bastard could jump!

56BISON73
01-28-2015, 12:58 AM
the lights were installed before the 2011 season and the turf was 2012.
http://www.wday.com/content/fargodome-gets-new-lights-time-bison-opener

I thought they installed more stuff last year?

ACECON
01-28-2015, 05:36 AM
I think I knew his brother Kanga.......bastard could jump!

Right!! Not a bad boxer either.