PDA

View Full Version : we didn't back into the playoffs

Swany
11-21-2010, 05:19 PM
The Bison didn't back into the playoffs. Based on the body of work throughout the season, the Bison earned that playoff bid just as much as anybody else did. Was our last game disappointing? Absolutely. But don't lump the entire body of work from the season into a single game. We don't need to apologize to anyone for making the playoffs.

To read some on this board complain, to say we backed in, to say they feel "weird" we made it because of money, etc., is incredible. Can nothing satisfy you folks? We went 3 - 8 last year and were picked to finish sixth in the Missouri Valley this year. And, hey, guess what? We made the playoffs!

There are some folks on this board, and god bless your passion, that wouldn't be satisfied unless we won our games video game style, e.g., shutting down teams 54 - 14, etc. It reminds me of several of the older folks who sit in the Maddock Cafe and can find the negatives when it's 85 degrees and not a cloud in a sunny sky. "Well, this weather can't last forever. It's too bad that it's this nice out because it won't last. It's going to turn night soon, just wait and see." Please!

We play in a damn tough league and went undefeated in nonconference play. THE BISON EARNED THIS. Winning a college football game is not easy. We are a playoff team. And for that, why in the name of Claudie Miller would any Bison fan feel the need to apologize?

We went 3 - 1 in our last four games with big wins over a vastly improved Indiana State, a traditional power in Southern Illinois that gave UNI their only league loss, and a South Dakota State team that played Nebraska to the wire in Lincoln and, if not for four early bad turnovers, would've given Delaware a heckuva game. You call that backing in? I call it earning our way in.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-21-2010, 05:20 PM
great post Swany

bisontwice
11-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Agreed. Too many posters on BV find fault with anything that happens with this team. A playoff game was earned and not given to us.

CaBisonFan
11-21-2010, 05:34 PM
And if money talks...the Bison earned the money by attracting big crowds...and by having earned its huge fan base over the years. If another team can't get more than 1000 people to a game...maybe their product isn't consistent enough.

We have been, are, and will be a 'power' in the FCS...with a big brand-name. We have earned it in many ways.

1bizon1
11-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Thundering Herd reps to Swany!! Thank you for bringing many of us "back" from Bitchingville! :) :) :) :) :)

CaBisonFan
11-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Thundering Herd reps to Swany!! Thank you for bringing many of us "back" from Bitchingville! :) :) :) :) :)

rep for you...:cool:

BISON1434er
11-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Good post Swany. MVFC was a tough conference this year and all the teams had some losses. If the we can get going on all cylinders going into the playoffs we could make a solid run in the next month. Our defense will make it difficult on the teams we play.

tony
11-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Well, I always consider it backing into the playoffs when you lose your last regular season game. It has nothing to do, really, whether a team that backs into the playoffs deserves to be there or not.

Bison earned it.

BisonNeil
11-21-2010, 06:07 PM
I agree, and with all due respect Swany, when you lose your last game that would guarantee a playoff spot, and likely a first round bye no less, but yet get into the playoffs, it is backing in. No question.

But as pointed out, that does not make it a bad thing. We backed into the playoffs in 1985, the players had put away their gear for the year, 8 teams had to lose in front of us and they did. The Bison backed into the playoff and promptly won it. Solomonson openly talked about backing in and said there was no shame because getting into the playoffs "means a lot", but "winning the playoffs means a lot more".

So Swany, there is no shame in backing in and you don't need to start a thread to make us feel like we should be ashamed.

ISXBISON
11-21-2010, 06:29 PM
The Bison didn't back into the playoffs. Based on the body of work throughout the season, the Bison earned that playoff bid just as much as anybody else did. Was our last game disappointing? Absolutely. But don't lump the entire body of work from the season into a single game. We don't need to apologize to anyone for making the playoffs.

To read some on this board complain, to say we backed in, to say they feel "weird" we made it because of money, etc., is incredible. Can nothing satisfy you folks? We went 3 - 8 last year and were picked to finish sixth in the Missouri Valley this year. And, hey, guess what? We made the playoffs!

There are some folks on this board, and god bless your passion, that wouldn't be satisfied unless we won our games video game style, e.g., shutting down teams 54 - 14, etc. It reminds me of several of the older folks who sit in the Maddock Cafe and can find the negatives when it's 85 degrees and not a cloud in a sunny sky. "Well, this weather can't last forever. It's too bad that it's this nice out because it won't last. It's going to turn night soon, just wait and see." Please!

We play in a damn tough league and went undefeated in nonconference play. THE BISON EARNED THIS. Winning a college football game is not easy. We are a playoff team. And for that, why in the name of Claudie Miller would any Bison fan feel the need to apologize?

We went 3 - 1 in our last four games with big wins over a vastly improved Indiana State, a traditional power in Southern Illinois that gave UNI their only league loss, and a South Dakota State team that played Nebraska to the wire in Lincoln and, if not for four early bad turnovers, would've given Delaware a heckuva game. You call that backing in? I call it earning our way in.

Great post Swany...Reps Reps Reps and more Reps to you

cyborgg
11-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Small correction: South Dakota didn't exactly take Nebraska down to the wire. They played a tough game but were never in a position to win.

Gully
11-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Small correction: South Dakota didn't exactly take Nebraska down to the wire. They played a tough game but were never in a position to win.

Actually South Dakota didn't play Nebraska at all, South Dakota State did.....small correction, you see.:D

cyborgg
11-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Actually South Dakota didn't play Nebraska at all, South Dakota State did.....small correction, you see.:D

good catch ;)

Gully
11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
good catch ;)

glad you have a sense of humor...some people around here would have had a cow!

TransAmBison
11-21-2010, 08:58 PM
I love Swany's passion. He's a great writer and a tremendous asset to Bison Illustrated. Great post, but I do disagree. We backed in with that loss. If you have to wait on pins and needles to see if you got in...that is backing in. If what the Bison did was not backing in, please explain what is. Hey, we are in and still alive...that is what counts. We've got one more week for the offense to come up with plays 5-8. Heck...if the guys catch on we might even throw in and audible. Anything can happen in the playoffs. We are alive for one more week and the fans can help make a difference. This is the home game we have been waiting for. If you knit this Saturday, knit loud.

EndZoneQB
11-21-2010, 09:31 PM

I didn't watch the game, but I heard that SDSU had 2 INT's for TD's that were called back, no?

aces1180
11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
I love Swany's passion. He's a great writer and a tremendous asset to Bison Illustrated. Great post, but I do disagree. We backed in with that loss. If you have to wait on pins and needles to see if you got in...that is backing in. If what the Bison did was not backing in, please explain what is. Hey, we are in and still alive...that is what counts. We've got one more week for the offense to come up with plays 5-8. Heck...if the guys catch on we might even throw in and audible. Anything can happen in the playoffs. We are alive for one more week and the fans can help make a difference. This is the home game we have been waiting for. If you knit this Saturday, knit loud.

Yep...I'm just happy to be there. Anything can happen now!

bri-dog
11-21-2010, 09:35 PM
We may have backed in, but the only word that matters is...IN!!!

NDSUstudent
11-21-2010, 09:36 PM
I'll take the playoffs anyway we can get them. This team is so young and to get these guys some playoff experience will be huge, now that they have gotten there it is time to strive for bigger goals.

BisoninNWMN
11-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Good post!!!!

I don't give a crap how we got here, all that matters is that we are in the PLAYOFFS.

We need to give RM a huge FFD welcome and make it miserable for them on offense....heck, they only had 13K total fans to their home games. Our atmosphere should be overwhelming for them.

GO BISON

sambini
11-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Were in that what matters....

tjbison
11-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Were in that what matters....

Some people just can't be happy