PDA

View Full Version : Football game with only one end zone

NDSU1980
11-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Seriously, how can any college team play a game with only one end zone? What happens if someone tries to run an INT back for a touchdown? As far as I can tell, they don't explain that one in the story. Even funnier, it's the Big 10.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Big-Ten-nixes-an-end-zone-declares-Wrigley-show?urn=ncaaf-287511

EndZoneQB
11-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Seriously, how can any college team play a game with only one end zone? What happens if someone tries to run an INT back for a touchdown? As far as I can tell, they don't explain that one in the story. Even funnier, it's the Big 10.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Big-Ten-nixes-an-end-zone-declares-Wrigley-show?urn=ncaaf-287511

They said there is only one OFFENSIVE end zone. I think thats the key. The defense isn't going to be trying to run a post pattern through the end zone, ya know?

NDSU1980
11-20-2010, 02:10 AM
They said there is only one OFFENSIVE end zone. I think thats the key. The defense isn't going to be trying to run a post pattern through the end zone, ya know?

Yea, but if you have a pick 6 going the other way, then what happens?

DjKyRo
11-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Yea, but if you have a pick 6 going the other way, then what happens?

Then you've still got an endzone and goalposts on the other end. They're just playing to one end to try and avoid anyone flying face-first into the concrete wall that borders the one endzone. If a defensive player scoops up the ball obviously they have to go that way.

Da Bison
11-20-2010, 02:16 AM
They do have a 10yd end zone. Its just that they don't have any room beyond the end zone.

IMO its stupid to play this game at Wrigley Field.

EndZoneQB
11-20-2010, 02:39 AM
Then you've still got an endzone and goalposts on the other end. They're just playing to one end to try and avoid anyone flying face-first into the concrete wall that borders the one endzone. If a defensive player scoops up the ball obviously they have to go that way.

Exactly. If the defense is running a TD back, a 10 yard buffer zone for the end zone is more than enough.

gotts
11-20-2010, 04:28 AM
They do have a 10yd end zone. Its just that they don't have any room beyond the end zone.

IMO its stupid to play this game at Wrigley Field.

Agreed. Everyone knows nobody plays at Wrigley Field!

met1990
11-20-2010, 04:44 AM
I understand that both teams will have to play offense in the same direction.

What happens if a team tries to kick a field goal in the wrong direction and runs a fake? They should really make the end zone wall in play so receivers could catch it on the rebound.

tjbison
11-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Just when you thought the B10 couldn't get any dumber, they go and do something like this...........................and no they didn't totally redeem themselves

bri-dog
11-20-2010, 05:02 AM
I understand that both teams will have to play offense in the same direction.

What happens if a team tries to kick a field goal in the wrong direction and runs a fake? They should really make the end zone wall in play so receivers could catch it on the rebound.

They can't try to kick a FG in that direction (I don't think). They will always be going the other direction.

If a team scores a defensive TD, they will then switch ends, and the extra point will be tried in the other endzone (per ESPN)...

Tatanka
11-20-2010, 11:27 AM
wow for a second there I thought tha usd reconfigured the DakotaDump.

bisonaudit
11-20-2010, 12:51 PM
The Cubs are pissed. They say they've been working with the Big 10 for over a year and there have been at least a half a dozen decision points concerning the alignment of the field and the Big 10 signed off and/or inspected and approved the alignment each and everytime... until one day before the game.

Wally
11-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I'd want my $$ back if I had bought a ticket in the endzone that will never see an offensive td.

sambini
11-21-2010, 11:30 PM

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Big-Ten-nixes-an-ened-zone-declares-Wrigley-show?urn=ncaaf-287511

Someone screwed up there. Anyone watch it how was it?

roadwarrior
11-21-2010, 11:35 PM
NDSU played in a one end zone game a long time ago. The lights at one end of the field at Morningside went out, and they couldnt fix them, so they basically did the same thing.

Bison"FANatic"
11-21-2010, 11:46 PM
I do believe I saw a replay of a Pick 6 last night in that game. So the endzone did get some use.

EndZoneQB
11-22-2010, 07:32 AM
I do believe I saw a replay of a Pick 6 last night in that game. So the endzone did get some use.

Right, but it's VERY different than being an offensive end zone.