PDA

View Full Version : Craig Bohl Has a Lead Foot

NDSUmulligan
11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Coach Bohl has quite the speeding record, and was chosen to be the voice for an anti-speeding campaign because. His driving record wasn't researched before he was chosen.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/298558/group/Sports/

Sorry if this was already posted.

OrygunBison
11-16-2010, 01:42 PM
I guess that answers that question about how he makes it to all of the high schools in the state.

tony
11-16-2010, 01:45 PM
I guess that answers that question about how he makes it to all of the high schools in the state in one day.

Fixed it for you.

HandoEX
11-16-2010, 01:54 PM
This proves the local PD's are all anti-Bison :p

North Side
11-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I saw Police and NDSU on the Forum, and I got scared.... phew... but the Fargo PD really should do a background check, I am guessing they will have AP be then next spokesman?

lakesbison
11-16-2010, 03:17 PM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21779 already another thread. combine? the Fargo Forum Tabloids hit again.

coldspot
11-16-2010, 03:22 PM
somebody needs to get coach bohl a fuzzbuster.

OrygunBison
11-16-2010, 04:07 PM
somebody needs to get coach bohl a fuzzbuster.

Or at least share the driving duties...

FWIW, I grew up north of Minot. It was about 280-300 miles door-to-door for my drive home to see my folks according to which way I went. Some of those roads scream to speed on them. If taking Hwy 52 from Minot to Jamestown, there are stretches where you won't see another car for 15 minutes or more and they are pretty straight sections of road (particularly when I compare to what I have now).

I stopped counting at 17 speeding tickets, all cheap ND ones, though. Back then, they'd knock the speed clock back a bit to take it easy on you. "You were going 76, we'll just say 70 so it is just a $15 for 15 mph over. Would that work for you?" At those rates, there is just no disincentive for speeding. I assume that the tickets have gone pricier, right?

coldspot
11-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Or at least share the driving duties...

FWIW, I grew up north of Minot. It was about 280-300 miles door-to-door for my drive home to see my folks according to which way I went. Some of those roads scream to speed on them. If taking Hwy 52 from Minot to Jamestown, there are stretches where you won't see another car for 15 minutes or more and they are pretty straight sections of road (particularly when I compare to what I have now).

I stopped counting at 17 speeding tickets, all cheap ND ones, though. Back then, they'd knock the speed clock back a bit to take it easy on you. "You were going 76, we'll just say 70 so it is just a $15 for 15 mph over. Would that work for you?" At those rates, there is just no disincentive for speeding. I assume that the tickets have gone pricier, right?

nope, same pricing. ive got two tickets under my belt for a grand total of $29.

bisonmike2
11-16-2010, 04:13 PM
I wonder where Bohl has gotten most of his tickets? I'd have way more than 18 speeding tickets if I still lived in Moorhead and had to drive to Fargo via main ave. That 30 mph zone is a crock of shiat.

roadwarrior
11-16-2010, 04:18 PM
I wonder where Bohl has gotten most of his tickets? I'd have way more than 18 speeding tickets if I still lived in Moorhead and had to drive to Fargo via main ave. That 30 mph zone is a crock of shiat.

8 in ND
2 in SD
6 in NE
3 in MN

According to today's paper. Looks like all were on rural roads.

bisonmike2
11-16-2010, 04:51 PM
8 in ND
2 in SD
6 in NE
3 in MN

According to today's paper. Looks like all were on rural roads.

Thanks. I didn't read the article because I didn't want the foolem to get a extra click through on a tabloid article. Just curious, did the story have anything like this in it?

"Craig Bohl was sited for a total of 19 tickets for speeding on road across ND, SD, NE and MN. Roads that your wives and husbands travel on. Roads that your kids take to get to school. Countless lives endangered by Bohl during reckless pursuit of yet a another recruit for his thug football program and NDSU."

If not I'm sure they thought about it.

OrygunBison
11-16-2010, 04:58 PM
nope, same pricing. ive got two tickets under my belt for a grand total of $29.

Good lord. With the tickets so inexpensive, perhaps that should be considered entrapment.

I have only had one speeding ticket since living here. It was $229. I was going 63 in a 45 zone in a "safety corridor". I was crossing the mountain pass right next to Mt. Hood on my way to Bend to go snowboarding. The speed limit went from 55 to 45 and I got nabbed a half mile into it. They have created safety corridors here in areas that are accident heavy. They double the fines in these areas. I actually went to court and they reduced it down to $175.

Bisonguy
11-16-2010, 07:21 PM
How about some real investigative journalism from The Forum? How does Bohl compare to the other coaches in the region in traffic violations?

bisonmike2
11-16-2010, 08:05 PM
How about some real investigative journalism from The Forum? How does Bohl compare to the other coaches in the region in traffic violations?

Fun Fact. When Dale Lennon was coach of the Sioux, he never received a traffic violation. He was pulled over many times, but the cops would take one look at his mustache and immediately assume he was a fellow cop so they let him be on his way. Yet another example of the power of the mustache.

MNLonghorn10
11-16-2010, 09:54 PM
the comments are the best part of the article. foolum posters are about as clueless as the editors

tjbison
11-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Dumb Journalism, but hey good read. Now I suppose they will investigate if these were all received in a state vehicle:hide: :hide: :hide: :hide:

FORUM SUCKS (opps can I get banned for saying S**KS??)

NorthernBison
11-16-2010, 10:04 PM
the comments are the best part of the article. foolum posters are about as clueless as the editors

They are "outraged" over SPEEDING TICKETS? WTF?

Some comments are priceless. Total disregard for the law. They should take away his driver's license? Special treatment? Where?

I will bet that his auto insurance is not cheap. He can probably afford it though.

lakesbison
11-16-2010, 11:18 PM
I have 20 speeds in last 10 years.

my insurance is $85/month. Big deal.

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2010, 02:22 AM
As long as Bohl wasn't arrested in a park in Omaha........I could care less.....:hide:

imabison
11-17-2010, 03:12 AM
Coach Bohl has quite the speeding record, and was chosen to be the voice for an anti-speeding campaign because. His driving record wasn't researched before he was chosen.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/298558/group/Sports/

Sorry if this was already posted.

The only thing missing from their information is how President Chapman must have been involved somehow...:)

SDSUAlum08
11-17-2010, 05:33 AM

Prety sure Stig and his staff have never gotten a speeding ticket....ever! They actually go 5 under the speed limit at all times to help keep the road more safe. They're known to make traffic stops themselves to help catch the speeders and save lives! :D

gotts
11-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Prety sure Stig and his staff have never gotten a speeding ticket....ever! They actually go 5 under the speed limit at all times to help keep the road more safe. They're known to make traffic stops themselves to help catch the speeders and save lives! :D

Is that because they're always pulling the fishing boat to recruiting trips? :D

tjbison
11-17-2010, 11:56 AM
As long as Bohl wasn't arrested in a park in Omaha........I could care less.....:hide:

or a mens Bathroom in the MSP Airport:hide: :hide: :hide: :D

GradBison
11-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Two more hard hitting stories on the topic by the Forum.

NDSU athletic director renews traffic ticket talk with coach Bohl (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/298707/)

Traffic violations must mount for suspension in North Dakota (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/298708/)

:rolleyes:

cbline
11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
You know that all is pretty good in the world if this is the lead story on a number of media outlets: not crime, not local unemployment, not an invasion of flying monkeys, nothing.

Hammersmith
11-17-2010, 03:54 PM
You know that all is pretty good in the world if this is the lead story on a number of media outlets: not crime, not local unemployment, not an invasion of flying monkeys, nothing.

That's next week, thanks to Wyo.

Anyone wonder if the Forum is using this as leverage in another attempt to help push through higher traffic fines?

lakesbison
11-17-2010, 04:03 PM
the FORUM people need hobbies, wow.

mebisonII
11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Good grief, the guy speeds, is this news? He even said as much a couple years ago in an interview (something to the effect of having family in NE, so he's well-acquainted with the cops between here and there).

First story is fine, in fact, its pretty funny that the FPD didn't realize his record when they recruited him. 2 more follow-ups? Someone is getting paid by the word and doesn't feel like thinking up a new topic.

Someone is probably pissed that this is the worst they can dig up.

Answer Guy
11-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Craig Bohl - crazy speed.

CAS4127
11-17-2010, 07:49 PM
the FORUM people need hobbies, wow.

Their "writers" already have a hobby--"writing", as they sure as hell shouldn't be callin it a proffesion if this is the best they can do, along with several other and obvious examples.

bisonaudit
11-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Anyone wonder if the Forum is using this as leverage in another attempt to help push through higher traffic fines?

One can only hope. The state Supreme Court set us back a couple of decades with that ruling on disparate traffic fines. Maybe one day when 50% + 1 of the state population call Cass, Morton, or Burleigh county (grow Bis-Man grow) home, the legislature will be able to get that fixed.

There's no logical justification for the insanely low cost of traffic violations in Fargo. None.

wow
11-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Just curious, but how many of the violations took place in a state vehicle? Does that do anything for liability for the university or state, or their insurance premiums?

Bagging on a guy for speeding tickets is kind of busch, but there could be some underlying issues that would concern the average taxpayer.

BigDeal
11-17-2010, 08:58 PM
The AP liked the story. Actually, Bohl drove out here this morning for an interview.

http://www.denverpost.com/watercooler/ci_16629440

GradBison
11-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Just curious, but how many of the violations took place in a state vehicle? Does that do anything for liability for the university or state, or their insurance premiums?

Bagging on a guy for speeding tickets is kind of busch, but there could be some underlying issues that would concern the average taxpayer.

Read the extensive Forum coverage for answers.

NorthernBison
11-17-2010, 09:04 PM

The majority were on his time. Bohl drives a loaner vehicle on business that is not a State Vehicle but provided by local dealers under an arrangement with NDSU.

Liability is always a concern when ANY employee drives for business. Speeding, by itself, does not constitute negligence. Therefore, this history doesn't likely increase NDSU's liability directly.

Any violations occurring while on NDSU business have apparently already been reported to the AD and dealt with according to policy. I would expect that these newest revelations might cause NDSU to revise their policies about reporting ALL moving violations for people who drive on company business.

FYI, my employer does a driver's license check every year for employees who drive more than a certain number of miles on company business. More than three violations in the previous three years "could" result in remedial action needing to be addressed such as defensive driving classes, etc.

CAS4127
11-17-2010, 09:15 PM
The majority were on his time. Bohl drives a loaner vehicle on business that is not a State Vehicle but provided by local dealers under an arrangement with NDSU.

Liability is always a concern when ANY employee drives for business. Speeding, by itself, does not constitute negligence. Therefore, this history doesn't likely increase NDSU's liability directly.

Any violations occurring while on NDSU business have apparently already been reported to the AD and dealt with according to policy. I would expect that these newest revelations might cause NDSU to revise their policies about reporting ALL moving violations for people who drive on company business.

FYI, my employer does a driver's license check every year for employees who drive more than a certain number of miles on company business. More than three violations in the previous three years "could" result in remedial action needing to be addressed such as defensive driving classes, etc.

Well, driving drunk, by itself, does not "constitute" negligence, but, if you cause an accident as a result, much like if you cause an accident because you are speeding, I guarantee the jury will be instructed that a violation of a moving traffic offense, as in speeding, or a criminal traffic offense, as in DUI, is evidence of negligence.

That said, way too much press on Bohl's traffic offenses as far as I am concerned.

The_Herd
11-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Even Colin Cowherd brought it up up at the very end of his show this morning.

OrygunBison
11-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Even Colin Cowherd brought it up up at the very end of his show this morning.

CC was one of Portland's worst sports guys on the NBC affiliate. He is awful. I have no idea how he has made it on the national scene. Everyone here considers him a joke.

wow
11-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Read the extensive Forum coverage for answers.

I'm an SDSU fan, you seriously expect me to read? :)

NorthernBison
11-18-2010, 12:27 AM
Well, driving drunk, by itself, does not "constitute" negligence, but, if you cause an accident as a result, much like if you cause an accident because you are speeding, I guarantee the jury will be instructed that a violation of a moving traffic offense, as in speeding, or a criminal traffic offense, as in DUI, is evidence of negligence.

That said, way too much press on Bohl's traffic offenses as far as I am concerned.

True, and I prefer not to get into an argument with a Lawyer but my point was more to degree. If you look at his speeding tickets, they are not outrageous. Traveling 83 in a 75 zone is probably not the definition of negligence like driving 100 mph might be. Many people do the first routinely. Very few do the second.

Nevertheless, I do concede your point that it would be a factor.

EndZoneQB
11-18-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm an SDSU fan, you seriously expect me to read? :)

Reps to you good sir.

met1990
11-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Everybody's favorite radio host wrote up something about it:

http://www.kfgo.com/on-air-feature-details.php?ID=514

tony
11-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Can't wait for the hard-hitting story on how Saul Phillips is putting recyclable material in his garbage.

met1990
11-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Just an FYI--the reason I found that link was because I was searching around the KFGO Web site looking for NDSU-related stuff (you know, because they're the home of the Bison). Other than a couple of Google ads linked directly to Gobison.com, I couldn't find much. Am I missing something?

The Lost Dutchman
11-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Just an FYI--the reason I found that link was because I was searching around the KFGO Web site looking for NDSU-related stuff (you know, because they're the home of the Bison). Other than a couple of Google ads linked directly to Gobison.com, I couldn't find much. Am I missing something?

Try bison on demand at 740thefan.com ;)

IzzyFlexion
11-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Dear Fargo Forum.

I went to NDSU and recently stole a packet of Sweet n' Low from a local restaurant. This, by your definition, makes my transgression newsworthy. Please redirect your investigative reporting team away from our football coach and send them after me. Martyrdom?....Hardly. Just trying to stop the madness. Enough is enough. Admirable, though, in your effort to create as much of a distraction as possible for a program entering a critically important game this weekend.

Sincerely,
Haywood

met1990
11-18-2010, 01:17 PM

Gotcha--I'll not go to the home of the Bison to find stuff on the Bison! ;)

aces1180
11-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Everybody's favorite radio host wrote up something about it:

http://www.kfgo.com/on-air-feature-details.php?ID=514

"pinheads in InternetWorld"

Doesn't that make him one too if he is writing a blog?

Douche.

aces1180
11-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Um...I thought KFGO was the flagship?

Bison"FANatic"
11-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Dear Fargo Forum.

I went to NDSU and recently stole a packet of Sweet n' Low from a local restaurant. This, by your definition, makes my transgression newsworthy. Please redirect your investigative reporting team away from our football coach and send them after me. Martyrdom?....Hardly. Just trying to stop the madness. Enough is enough. Admirable, though, in your effort to create as much of a distraction as possible for a program entering a critically important game this weekend.

Sincerely,
Haywood

Mr. Jablome

Thank you for your concern but if we can paint NDSU in any sort of negative light we are going to do that. Did you not see how they dropped us for our competitor during the radio negotiations. We have a civic duty to make the school to the north the most covered team in this area. You see the newspaper business is tough and although we have hired some very good writers to cover the Bison we feel we have to keep them hamstrung and not allow them free reign to write what they want as often as they want. Now we all no that NDSU sports is the biggest draw in Fargo but we are bound and determined to minimize that as much as we can so we can keep fans of every sports team in the area happy and not seem to bias and we think it is a great business model to cater to the minority and marginalize the majority. Now please understand we really do have the the best interest of the who oh oh I mean the Bison in mind and if you don't think so we will unleash the hockey reporter from the great north to come back on to Bisonville and try to put all of you know nothings and Bison loving fans in your place.

Sincerely,

The Forum

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CAS4127
11-18-2010, 03:07 PM
True, and I prefer not to get into an argument with a Lawyer but my point was more to degree. If you look at his speeding tickets, they are not outrageous. Traveling 83 in a 75 zone is probably not the definition of negligence like driving 100 mph might be. Many people do the first routinely. Very few do the second.

Nevertheless, I do concede your point that it would be a factor.

Like who??!!:hide: Also, I have heard that the entire "who" football team is being investigated because of their "crazy speed".

Note: That may already have been said in this thread, but I haven't read the entire thing and it just came to me as I was typing my response to Northern.

bisonmike2
11-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Dear Fargo Forum.

Sincerely,
Haywood

This is obviously fake. Mr. Haywood Jablowme is an outstanding member of the FM community and would never steal anything. Wasn't it last winter the Forum documented him helping dig out fellow FM'ers from a snow storm.

NorthernBison
11-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Like who??!!:hide: Also, I have heard that the entire "who" football team is being investigated because of their "crazy speed".

Note: That may already have been said in this thread, but I haven't read the entire thing and it just came to me as I was typing my response to Northern.

Well, my typical Bison Gameday starts with a 200 mile drive. I hit I-29 at Exit 203 East of Cavalier and head South with the cruise set at 78 or 79. I get passed by plenty of people between there and Fargo. Speeding seems to be pretty common.

I see Bohl got a 82 in a 75 in Grand Forks County. They do patrol that area around GF pretty hard. Must be all the "crazy speed" in that area.

CAS4127
11-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, my typical Bison Gameday starts with a 200 mile drive. I hit I-29 at Exit 203 East of Cavalier and head South with the cruise set at 78 or 79. I get passed by plenty of people between there and Fargo. Speeding seems to be pretty common.

I see Bohl got a 82 in a 75 in Grand Forks County. They do patrol that area around GF pretty hard. Must be all the "crazy speed" in that area.

Must spread rep around b/4 giving it to Northern again--excellant!!

I'm an 80-82 mph freeway guy myself, but I have always had "crazy speed".

EndZoneQB
11-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Must spread rep around b/4 giving it to Northern again--excellant!!

I'm an 80-82 mph freeway guy myself, but I have always had "crazy speed".

Same here. I put on about 4k miles a month or so, and I pass HP/Sheriffs all the time at 4-6mph over and they don't even look at me. It could be that I'm in a company vehicle with a logo on the side and the fact they see me weekly.

SDbison
11-18-2010, 06:00 PM
One can only hope. The state Supreme Court set us back a couple of decades with that ruling on disparate traffic fines. Maybe one day when 50% + 1 of the state population call Cass, Morton, or Burleigh county (grow Bis-Man grow) home, the legislature will be able to get that fixed.

There's no logical justification for the insanely low cost of traffic violations in Fargo. None.
Why, do you want to fund an ever growing government? The fines in Minnesota are ridiculously high........of course they look at it as a source of revenue.

NorthernBison
11-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Off topic slightly but here's fair warning about speed traps.

1. Cando, ND. Any of the 4 directions coming into or leaving town. Pay close attention to the posted limit. You have been warned.

2. Highway #2 between GF airport and the city. It is 55mph and there are ALWAYS HP cars watching.

BadlandsBison
11-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Why, do you want to fund an ever growing government? The fines in Minnesota are ridiculously high........of course they look at it as a source of revenue.

Ugh, I got my first speeding ticket in Minnesota. Lets just say they tried to make up their entire state deficite with my ticket. I bet the same ticket in ND would maybe have been half of what I payed.

Bison"FANatic"
11-18-2010, 06:47 PM
I was at Teammakers today and I can vouch that as much as Coach Bohl was moving around the right leg his foot is not made out of lead. He was not dragging the foot and was able to jump up on the stage without even the hint of a heavy foot.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CAS4127
11-18-2010, 06:57 PM

As did the City of Fargo!

mebisonII
11-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Ugh, I got my first speeding ticket in Minnesota. Lets just say they tried to make up their entire state deficite with my ticket. I bet the same ticket in ND would maybe have been half of what I payed.

Way less than half. A 74 in a 65mph zone in ND cost me $23 several years ago. A couple years later, a 64 in a 55mph zone in MN cost me >$130.

EndZoneQB
11-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Way less than half. A 74 in a 65mph zone in ND cost me $23 several years ago. A couple years later, a 64 in a 55mph zone in MN cost me >$130.

The last ticket I got in Minnesota was $195. It gets worse if you head east from here too. I thought I saw some signs in like Indiana that say "minimum fine $370".

unbison
11-18-2010, 11:12 PM
South Dakota tickets are not cheap.......I have seen a nd ticket for 10k but that wasn't a little excavator on the truck so I guess whatever

tjbison
11-19-2010, 12:01 AM
South Dakota tickets are not cheap.......I have seen a nd ticket for 10k but that wasn't a little excavator on the truck so I guess whatever

Ha i've seen bigger than that!!!:hide: :D

Bison"FANatic"
07-24-2014, 06:35 PM
I heard this on the radio and I thought Bohl was back in the state recruiting and brought Vigen and Stanard with him

North Dakota Highway Patrol Stops 3 Motorcyclists Going More than 150MPH

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26104141/north-dakota-high-patrol-stops-3-motorcycles-for-going-more-than-150-mph

The Lost Dutchman
07-25-2014, 08:45 PM
I heard this on the radio and I thought Bohl was back in the state recruiting and brought Vigen and Stanard with him

North Dakota Highway Patrol Stops 3 Motorcyclists Going More than 150MPH

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26104141/north-dakota-high-patrol-stops-3-motorcycles-for-going-more-than-150-mph

Let's be honest, the only way Bohl ever comes back to North Dakota is if it's with the private plane that's provided to him.

MAKBison
07-25-2014, 10:01 PM
WY is not a stepping stone for CB, its a keep him closer to where he wants to retire type move......The picture he had hung in is fargo office was the clue we all missed....him ridding his horse on his WY property

A1pigskin
09-01-2014, 12:48 AM
He barely pulled out a win yesterday over Montana.