PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Bidding Process

Esquire
11-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Can anyone explain the playoff bidding process?? Do you bid on all the rounds in advance of the playoffs??? And does highest bidder win out automatically??? Or does ranking have anything to do with the process?

NDSUstudent
11-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Top 5 seeds host.

I think when the non-seeded teams are paired up they bid against each other for the home game. So if NDSU played Montana State, both NDSU and MSU would bid against each other.

Bisonguy
11-15-2010, 06:16 PM
From: 2010 DI Football Championship Handbook (http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2010/10_1_football.pdf)

Dates and Sites

[Reference: Site Selection in the Division I General Section and Bylaw 31.1.3 in the NCAA
Manual.]

2010 Championship

First Round—November 27 at on-campus sites
Second Round—December 4 at on-campus sites
Quarterfinals—December 10 and 11 at on-campus sites
Semifinals—December 17 and 18 at on-campus sites
Championship Game—January 7, 2011 at Pizza Hut Park, Frisco, Texas

NCAA Championships Policy Related to Sports Wagering. No pre-determined

or non-predetermined session of an NCAA championship may be conducted in a state with
legal wagering that is based on single-game betting on the outcome of any event (i.e., high
school, college or professional) in a sport in which the NCAA conducts a championship.

Site Determination. With regard to first-round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal
sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1, the NCAA Division I Football
Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:
a. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees,
which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed
budget:

First round—$30,000
Second round—$30,000

Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000
b. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff
sites to the top five seeded teams.
c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded,
criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus
estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance
(e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I
opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).
d. If a second-round, quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact
the institutions involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact
the institutions and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum
financial guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine
the host institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw

e. If no institution is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous
round’s minimum financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved,
the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship siteselection
criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.

TAILG8R
11-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Not sure if this is still relevant information but,

The school would have to pay a $30,000 guaranteed fee from the first round and $40,000 for the quarterfinals. A semifinal matchup would cost $50,000, with the guaranteed fees coming out of the gross ticket sale receipts along with 75 percent of the gate minus the school’s budgeted and unbudgeted expenses. When determining host sites for playoff games when both teams are not among the Top 4 seeds, the committee decides the location based on quality of facility, revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, attendance history and potential, team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), student-athlete well-being (travel, missed class time, etc.), and previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution.

Bisonguy
11-15-2010, 06:18 PM
And the portion that was on the following page:

f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of
the prospective host institution.

And people wonder why NDSU wants to kill certain crowd behaviors.

Esquire
11-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Besides Montana....who are the other big attendance teams that would bring in a higher gate???

NDSUstudent
11-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Besides Montana....who are the other big attendance teams that would bring in a higher gate???

App St and Delaware but they will be seeded teams.

Bisonguy
11-15-2010, 06:53 PM
That's about it west of the Mississippi. Gene would put in a very attractive bid if given the chance.

clenz
11-15-2010, 06:53 PM

Teams the that NCAA likes to give home games too

Montana
App. State
Delaware
Northern Iowa

Then after it is a crap shoot pending who is good that year.

Esquire
11-15-2010, 06:58 PM
So all you bid in is the required amount....correct??? Then the playoff committee looks at the the two teams, expected gate, etc., correct??? Its not like Gene could say we will guarantee $300,000 for a home game???

Bisonguy
11-15-2010, 07:04 PM
You submit a proposed budget, of which 75% of the net receipts must be greater than the minimum financial guarantees.

Basically they want lots of people there spending lots of money for tickets, and a stadium where weather isn't an issue might be a plus.

Esquire
11-15-2010, 07:17 PM
got it...thanks! I think you could assume a sellout and I think you could assume average $20 a ticket. So $20 x 18,700 seats is $374,000.00 x .75 of net receipts = $280,500.

clenz
11-15-2010, 07:23 PM
got it...thanks! I think you could assume a sellout and I think you could assume average $20 a ticket. So $20 x 18,700 seats is $374,000.00 x .75 of net receipts = $280,500.

You must charge no less than what you did during the regular season for a ticket.

For students, if they got in "free" I believe the minimum that you can charge them is $10

NDSUFan_Sav
11-15-2010, 07:40 PM
what would we do on dec 11th if were still in? try and play at home even tho we got a basketball game that day?

roadwarrior
11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
what would we do on dec 11th if were still in? try and play at home even tho we got a basketball game that day?

Gene told me that they could do both in the same day.

OrygunBison
11-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Gene told me that they could do both in the same day.

I would love to have such a "problem"...

THEsocalledfan
11-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Teams the that NCAA likes to give home games too

Montana
App. State
Delaware
Northern Iowa

Then after it is a crap shoot pending who is good that year.

So what happens if UNI and NDSU would end up in the same game and assuming UNI is not seated in the top 5? Who would get the game?

HerdBot
11-15-2010, 09:19 PM
So what happens if UNI and NDSU would end up in the same game and assuming UNI is not seated in the top 5? Who would get the game?

That would be crazy. Of course we need to win Saturday of course so let's not jinx us. :)

GradBison
11-15-2010, 09:19 PM

Teams from the same conference won't be matched up in the opening rounds.

clenz
11-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Teams from the same conference won't be matched up in the opening rounds.

The earliest UNI and NDSU could be matched up is the quaters.

The winners of the opening round get sent to the seeds, and teams from the same conference can't both play their first games against each other. That means since UNI won't get a seed this year, and the two can't meet in the opening round it would be at earliest quaters, and that would mean one at least one of us got put in a PIG and knocked off a seed.

However, if the two do meet and neither one is a seed that would be interesting.

NDSU does have a bigger place, but UNI has the history behind their name with the draw. I would think it would go to the "higher ranked team" or some crazy shit like that.

Interesting senario though.

THEsocalledfan
11-15-2010, 09:28 PM

The winners of the opening round get sent to the seeds, and teams from the same conference can't both play their first games against each other. That means since UNI won't get a seed this year, and the two can't meet in the opening round it would be at earliest quaters, and that would mean one at least one of us got put in a PIG and knocked off a seed.

However, if the two do meet and neither one is a seed that would be interesting.

NDSU does have a bigger place, but UNI has the history behind their name with the draw. I would think it would go to the "higher ranked team" or some crazy shit like that.

Agree with your thoughts. But, the old saying is "money talks, and bullshit walks." I bet NDSU would get it.

Bison"FANatic"
11-15-2010, 09:31 PM

now come on you and I both know the NCAA could care less about the higher ranked team they are going to the place they make the most money.

Bisonguy
11-15-2010, 09:32 PM

c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded,
criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility,tie (2) revenue potential plus
estimated net receipts, Advantage NDSU(3) attendance history and potential, Advantage NDSU(4) team’s performance
(e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I
opponents), Advantage UNIand (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time)tie.

Probably depends on how much they weight UNI winning the conference and head-to-head.

Thumper 76
11-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Agree with your thoughts. But, the old saying is "money talks, and bullshit walks." I bet NDSU would get it.

It is the NC$$, but I don't know, I think it would depend on the draws for the games before that, and they would go with the better one there. If its close I honestly would have to put money on UNI, but if the dome is packed every game then you should have nothing to worry about.

THEsocalledfan
11-15-2010, 09:37 PM
It is the NC$$, but I don't know, I think it would depend on the draws for the games before that, and they would go with the better one there. If its close I honestly would have to put money on UNI, but if the dome is packed every game then you should have nothing to worry about.

All hypothetical anyway. It was great meeting you. Remember, I gave you the first Jag Bomb......

Thumper 76
11-15-2010, 09:50 PM
All hypothetical anyway. It was great meeting you. Remember, I gave you the first Jag Bomb......

Yes I do! Thats from the part of the day that I do remember, and partially responsible for my shenanigans that night :p
Thanks a ton for that by the way, I love jag bombs!

Another possibility I have seen thrown around is that you guys could be paired up with Liberty in the first round, which would be very very interesting to me. They are a pretty rich school from what I gather, have pretty good attendance, a very nice stadium, and have had some strong rumors about them looking hard at FBS. Also they have been hankering to get into the playoffs for a long time, similar to being a Boise State of FCS, always going 11-1 usually and just missing the playoffs, so they would put in a very competitive bid I think. I would say that I think that you guys would win the bid but I would love to see that game.