PDA

View Full Version : Missouri State

HerdBot
11-15-2010, 05:29 AM
Don't let Missouri State fool you. Yes they have a terrible defense and their record is only 4-6 but they lost 2 games in OT and are 4-0 at home this year with wins over Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, Youngstown, and Eastern Kentucky. We will need to play well to win and our offense will have to do more if we're going to match them point for point. This game looked easy a month ago but now it may be a bit of a challenge. I think our defense is tough as hell and could slow them down, but we'll need the offense to play better.

ndsubison1
11-15-2010, 05:33 AM
What kind of offense do they run? If they're a spread/hurry up/fast tempo team that wont bode well for us matchup wise...

lakesbison
11-15-2010, 05:35 AM
gotta smash them in the MOUTH right away, take the ball right away and once they start losing, they will QUIT !!

tony
11-15-2010, 10:29 AM
The Bad New about the Bears

The fewest points Missouri State has scored at home is 31.
They've won every game at home and lost every game on the road.
They have the fewest turnovers in the league.
Statistically, they have the worst passing defense in the conference, but their passing defense might not be as bad as our passing offense.
Their QB has gained over 500 yards rushing and is really pretty good.
They have a very good running game with two good RBs - Chris Douglas is already over 1000 yards on the season and averages 7 yards per carry.NDSU is going to have to play well to win.

THEsocalledfan
11-15-2010, 12:48 PM
The Bad New about the Bears

Statistically, they have the worst passing defense in the conference, but their passing defense might not be as bad as our passing offense.
They have a very good running game with two good RBs - Chris Douglas is already over 1000 yards on the season and averages 7 yards per carry.NDSU is going to have to play well to win.

I was impressed with Bohl having the boys ready to play on Saturday, but he needs to get this QB play thing figured out. My favorite quote already this morning from an SDSU fan:

"Out QB is pretty bad as you can tell, but yours isn't very good either."

Anyone know how health Brock is and will he start on Saturday? No, I don't expect him to be a savior as others have pointed out, but pretty sure it will at least be an upgrade.

WarBison
11-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Getting Pierre back against an offense like this could really help...

HandoEX
11-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Getting Pierre back against an offense like this could really help...

Pierre is back????? What happened to the good old days when "out for the year" meant out for the year?

MSU will not be a walk in the park. Obviously, they are type of team that could give us fits. Kirby is a solid qb.

clenz
11-15-2010, 02:13 PM
What kind of offense do they run? If they're a spread/hurry up/fast tempo team that wont bode well for us matchup wise...

They run a no huddle, but they take the entire play clock.

Against UNI this past weekend they got up to the line really quick, but then did the "let's look at the sidelines to get new signs" thing 3 or 4 times each play. I don't know what they goal was. They got lined up, then checked the sidelines at least twice, sometimes three or four times, before snapping the ball.

UNI's defense didn't adjust at all, they didn't move, or anything. MSU was doing more to hurt themselves after the first two drives of the game than they were to help by doing that. They had to use all three TO's in the first half by the mid point of the second quarter because they would be doing that and the playclock would be at 3 or 4 and they were still taking signs.

Their RB is a hell of a runner though, #4.

With that being said UNI only gave up 97 yards to them in the second half, and really after their first two possessions (that they scored on) UNI shut them down.

NDSUstudent
11-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Yes getting Pierre back is huge, our secondary is absolutely loaded. This isn't the same Bison defense that struggled with Ill St and YSU, it is a different beast.

They will be tough but MSU is a team that had scored at least 24 points in every game and they only managed a 14 points vs UNI and 10 vs SDSU. I have complete confidence our defense can stop them. Our offense just needs to control the clock, limit mistakes and pound the football.

For me this all about jumping out early and punching a struggling MSU team in the mouth. Do not let them build confidence.

clenz
11-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Yes getting Pierre back is huge, our secondary is absolutely loaded. This isn't the same Bison defense that struggled with Ill St and YSU, it is a different beast.

They will be tough but MSU is a team that had scored at least 24 points in every game and they only managed a 14 points vs UNI and 10 vs SDSU. I have complete confidence our defense can stop them. Our offense just needs to control the clock, limit mistakes and pound the football.

For me this all about jumping out early and punching a struggling MSU team in the mouth. Do not let them build confidence.

To be fair, I wouldn't look to much into what they scored on UNI.

The last 5 years UNI is beating MSU by an average score of 38-9. 14 is the second most points they've scored against us in 5 years (7, 17, 0, 7, 14)

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-15-2010, 03:00 PM

I may not be right on this, but I think they love putting it through the air.

IndyBison
11-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Against UNI this past weekend they got up to the line really quick, but then did the "let's look at the sidelines to get new signs" thing 3 or 4 times each play. I don't know what they goal was. They got lined up, then checked the sidelines at least twice, sometimes three or four times, before snapping the ball.

I'm seeing more and more college teams doing this. The defense has to tip their hands a little because sometimes they'll run a play quickly and the defense has to be ready. Sometimes they'll do the set and then get a new play from the sideline.

344Johnson
11-15-2010, 03:28 PM
So Clenz, you've seen our team and their team...what would you say our chances of success are? Im nervous, a win and we will be in i'm guessing and maybe if we are lucky we even sneak a home playoff game so I really do not want our guys to screw this up

clenz
11-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm seeing more and more college teams doing this. The defense has to tip their hands a little because sometimes they'll run a play quickly and the defense has to be ready. Sometimes they'll do the set and then get a new play from the sideline.

MSU doesn't mix it up like that though much.

There was only 3 or 4 times they lined up and went with it. The average check was 2 or 3 times.

UNI played it pretty much straight up wit a 3-4 defense with different coverages/blitz's signaled in from the side line quickly. MSU caught UNI off gaurd with it in the first two drives (we also didn't tackle well) but then got settled in and things changed.

As long as you don't let #4 run through arm tackles they aren't much.

clenz
11-15-2010, 03:33 PM
So Clenz, you've seen our team and their team...what would you say our chances of success are? Im nervous, a win and we will be in i'm guessing and maybe if we are lucky we even sneak a home playoff game so I really do not want our guys to screw this up

You've looked much better as the season has gone on.

MSU came out with a fire that they normally won't have because of the Terry Allen connection. That fire lasted about 2 possessions, but it then wore off.

I'd give you an 85% shot of winning right now. However, MSU at home is much different than MSU on the road.

MSU had one goal the last part of the season, to knock UNI off, they failed. They will be deflated, but still wanting to keep NDSU out. I'd still put money on NDSU at -8.5

Bisonguy
11-15-2010, 03:56 PM
You've looked much better as the season has gone on.

MSU came out with a fire that they normally won't have because of the Terry Allen connection. That fire lasted about 2 possessions, but it then wore off.

I'd give you an 85% shot of winning right now. However, MSU at home is much different than MSU on the road.

MSU had one goal the last part of the season, to knock UNI off, they failed. They will be deflated, but still wanting to keep NDSU out. I'd still put money on NDSU at -8.5

There's an almost Terry Allen connection at NDSU, as well. He was a finalist (and some say leading candidate) for the head coach spot when Craig Bohl was hired.

Capn_Cat
11-15-2010, 05:19 PM
There's an almost Terry Allen connection at NDSU, as well. He was a finalist (and some say leading candidate) for the head coach spot when Craig Bohl was hired.

Further connection: Darrell Mudra, NDSU National Championship coach (and my head coach) was a mentor to Terry Allen at UNI.

Small world.

lakesbison
11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
UNI and NDSU cheering for each other this weekend? really?? or no??

from miss state board----

"I hope you NDSU fans have a good time with the rest of football season because everyone here is in basketball mode 100 percent. "

hope msu's football players are thinking the same!!

ndsubison1
11-16-2010, 07:53 AM
They run a no huddle, but they take the entire play clock.

UNI's defense didn't adjust at all, they didn't move, or anything. MSU was doing more to hurt themselves after the first two drives of the game than they were to help by doing that. They had to use all three TO's in the first half by the mid point of the second quarter because they would be doing that and the playclock would be at 3 or 4 and they were still taking signs.

Their RB is a hell of a runner though, #4.

With that being said UNI only gave up 97 yards to them in the second half, and really after their first two possessions (that they scored on) UNI shut them down.

I can honestly see them changing that. If they were smart (at least IMO) they would go hurry and try to make this an up tempo game. We struggle vs. teams like that. Whenever NDSU gets out to a 2-3 possession ball game and the other team is forced to pass often and pick up the pace we seem to give up some big plays...

That being said our D is playing the best it has all season. We're confident and playing our best ball heading into the last game (at least defensively we are). Which is the way it should be.

ndsubison1
11-16-2010, 07:53 AM

this will also give us less opportunities to bring in subs...

IzzyFlexion
11-16-2010, 11:43 AM
The Bad News about the Bears

Clever.
-I added the "s" for you as I knew you meant to use it.

bisonfan11
11-16-2010, 12:25 PM
I do believe that this is a game that we can win. I feel that our defense can stop Missouri State's offense (especially MSU's rushing attack). On offense it will be about getting McNorton as many carries as possible because that way we can control the clock and keep MSU's offense off the field. That said I am a little more worried that the players won't be as focused for this game. Look, South Dakota State is NDSU's biggest rival right now so obviously NDSU was more pumped and focused for that game. And the elation of the win might have taken some of the focus off of the MSU game. I hope I am wrong about that though. That said I see another Bison victory.

NDSU-35
MSU-17

THEsocalledfan
11-16-2010, 12:30 PM
And the elation of the win might have taken some of the focus off of the MSU game.

You are correct sir. Coaches need to have their "A" game this week to refocus the players on what is most important: the playoffs.

How much of what we wittnessed this year has been poor coaching as it has been young players growing up? I am praying it has mainly been the later as, all in all, NDSU played pretty well Saturday. That was the team we all saw versus USD minus Jensen.