PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs? Playoffs?

CaBisonFan
11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
A realistic goal is in sight. Two very, very big hurdles. Frankly...I don't give a damn who we are playing this weekend. It is a two-game season. If we can win two games...then we might get another season.

Go Bison !!!!!!!!!!!!!

SORRY FOLKS.....I DOUBLED UP THIS THREAD. PUT IT IN WITH LAKES' IF YOU WANT.

DjKyRo
11-09-2010, 11:04 PM
In other words, what some of us have been saying since Week 6? :)

CaBisonFan
11-09-2010, 11:14 PM
In other words, what some of us have been saying since Week 6? :)

Yup....to a certain degree. I take my hat off to the optimists.

Bison"FANatic"
11-09-2010, 11:23 PM
then we might get another season.

Go Bison !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Win 2 we WILL be in
Win 1 then we might be in

Let's just piss pound em both games and get the sure thing:nod: :nod: ;) ;)

CaBisonFan
11-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Win 2 we WILL be in
Win 1 then we might be in

Let's just piss pound em both games and get the sure thing:nod: :nod: ;) ;)

I'm with you. I'm ready to watch some Bison piss pounding.

bisoneer
11-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Hold onto your horses boys we need to think 'one game at a time'... really, this type of talk can be a jinx...

CaBisonFan
11-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Hold onto your horses boys we need to think 'one game at a time'... really, this type of talk can be a jinx...

I agree......two games.........one at a time.

DjKyRo
11-09-2010, 11:53 PM
One number to look at:

NDSU held ISU-b to 15. ISU-b put 41 on the Jacks the next week.

Our defense is awesome.

Kevin
11-10-2010, 12:18 AM
CA what is your opinion on the QB situation? If Jensen is even 75% would you risk further injury if Mohler's ball control skills continue to suffer/the offense comes out flat?

ndsubison1
11-10-2010, 03:38 AM
One number to look at:

NDSU held ISU-b to 15. ISU-b put 41 on the Jacks the next week.

Our defense is awesome.

Stats mean nothing in rivalry games. This is gonna be another battle

EmeraldCityBison
11-10-2010, 04:21 AM
For all intensive purposes, the team should approach the next two games as if they were playoff games themselves. Winning them both is the only way to keep playing.

BraxtonT
11-10-2010, 04:44 AM
For all intensive purposes, the team should approach the next two games as if they were playoff games themselves. Winning them both is the only way to keep playing.

Not trying to be a wiseguy, because I just want to know for sure. Is this the correct wording or should it be "intents and"? Any grammarians out there to help out? If so, please.

Sorry for the mini-thread drift!!

TbonZach
11-10-2010, 05:10 AM
Not trying to be a wiseguy, because I just want to know for sure. Is this the correct wording or should it be "intents and"? Any grammarians out there to help out? If so, please.

I guess it can be both. In the "intensive purposes" case, it could mean that every game should be intense and be treated as a playoff. In the "intents and purposes" case, it could means just that.

EmeraldCityBison
11-10-2010, 05:26 AM

Good catch.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_saying_'all_intents_and_purposes'_or_'all_i ntense_purposes'

OrygunBison
11-10-2010, 05:53 AM

Good lord, we're fans. We're allowed to look ahead. Nobody needs us to be focused on the coming week to ensure a win for the team.

HerdBot
11-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Yup....to a certain degree. I take my hat off to the optimists.

Thanks CA...

I wouldn't call it "optimism." Much of what I post has actual thought behind it and isn't just a knee jerk reaction to a win or a loss. :) I predicted the team would go 7-4 before the season started. After we beat Kansas, I increased it to 8-3.

I really think this team has the talent and the will to win and compete with any team.

Anyway...

So last month I post a thread called "We're in a great position" and I get ripped a new one. I was called a kool aid drinker, homer, and pretty much every name in the book.

Now we're possibly 1 win away from the playoffs and 2 away from a home playoff game.

Win or lose, we ARE in a great position.

If the defense can play like they are capable of we're going to win. I'm tellin' ya this is a great defense. They struggled mid season because of injuries and some young guys learning on the fly. They are healthy now and starting to gel. Remember, this is the same unit that made the Jayhawks look like the FCS team. They shut out an SIU team with a very powerful offense. It's the same defense that kept a powerful Indiana State out of the end zone. The same team that put up 40 on the Jacks a week later. This is a great defense and the scary part is they haven't even come close to peaking.

Offense? As long as we run the ball, don't turn the ball over, don't commit too many penalties, and play the field position game... that's all we need.

Now we just need to go out and WIN! We have the potential to win by double digits but odds are it will be a real close game. The margins are so close so if the crowd can pump it up and help creat some false starts or delay penalties it would make a HUGE difference!

Sell the dome out on Saturday!!

HerdBot
11-10-2010, 07:30 AM

Even if we weren't in the playoff run they would treat SDSU like a playoff game.

BisoninNWMN
11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks CA...

I wouldn't call it "optimism." Much of what I post has actual thought behind it and isn't just a knee jerk reaction to a win or a loss. :) I predicted the team would go 7-4 before the season started. After we beat Kansas, I increased it to 8-3.

I really think this team has the talent and the will to win and compete with any team.

Anyway...

So last month I post a thread called "We're in a great position" and I get ripped a new one. I was called a kool aid drinker, homer, and pretty much every name in the book.

Now we're possibly 1 win away from the playoffs and 2 away from a home playoff game.

If the defense can play like they are capable of we're going to win. I'm tellin' ya this is a great defense. They struggled mid season because of injuries and some young guys learning on the fly. They are healthy now and starting to gel. Remember, this is the same unit that made the Jayhawks look like the FCS team. They shut out an SIU team with a very powerful offense. It's the same defense that kept a powerful Indiana State out of the end zone. The same team that put up 40 on the Jacks a week later. This is a great defense and the scary part is they haven't even come close to peaking. Offense? As long as we run the ball, don't turn the ball over, don't commit too many penalties, and play the field position game... that's all we need.

Now we just need to go out and WIN! We have the potential to win by double digits but odds are it will be a real close game. The margins are so close so if the crowd can pump it up and help creat some false starts or delay penalties it would make a HUGE difference!

The defense will keep us in the game.

To win, we need the offense to sustain drives and convert more 3rd downs. Jose, if he starts, needs to play within himself and take what the defense is giving him. Throw it away, take a sack, go out of bounds instead of trying to make a play....that is when he makes back-breaking mistakes.

Run the ball
Play good defense
Play field position

We WIN!!

bisonfan11
11-10-2010, 11:26 AM
In the early part of the season I was exctied, but wanted to keep everything in perspective. Now it looks like we have a great chance to get to the play-offs. LET'S DO THIS 2-0!!!!! It starts by beating the Bunnies this week-end.

Facts
11-10-2010, 01:26 PM
FYI, the bison are also two bad losses away from another... gulp... 6-5. :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide:
which I said I'd be happy with following 3-8

bisonfan11
11-10-2010, 01:41 PM
FYI, the bison are also two bad losses away from another... gulp... 6-5. :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide:
which I said I'd be happy with following 3-8

A little bit of good news...the Bison have not lost 2 games in a row all season. The worst I foresee is 1-1 and a 7-4 record at the end of the regular season.

HandoEX
11-10-2010, 02:17 PM
We won't lose another game.

DePereBisonFan
11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
"We won't lose another game." Hando - you predicting a national championship?? :nod:

bisonmike2
11-10-2010, 03:00 PM
All playoff threads should be deleted until after we take care of our business. We are teasing the Gods of fate with this playoff talk people.

Civil06
11-10-2010, 03:42 PM
All playoff threads should be deleted until after we take care of our business. We are teasing the Gods of fate with this playoff talk people.

Nah, this is what makes sports so fun to follow. In our first year in the Valley, some of us, especially me, were assuming and expecting to win the national championship. I was so confident in fact, that I was politely trashtalking some really cool App. State fans at the Wyoming tailgate:) . I didn't think we could lose, but a few weeks later when I walked out of the UNIdome and we had a losing record for the first time since the pre-Stauss era, it wasn't only disappointing, but painful. Part of being a fan is setting up high expectations, being surprised when your team doesn't meet them, and cocky when they do.

I like the kool-aid high. WE WILL WIN OUT AND HOST A PLAYOFF IN THE FFD! Put it on the board, YESSSS!!!

HandoEX
11-10-2010, 04:00 PM
There's a 0% chance we miss the playoffs. We are in.

perthbison
11-10-2010, 05:35 PM
:nod: a victory margin similiar to montana over the sue on saturday would be perfect!

CAS4127
11-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks CA...

Anyway...

If the defense can play like they are capable of we're going to win. I'm tellin' ya this is a great defense. They struggled mid season because of injuries and some young guys learning on the fly. They are healthy now and starting to gel. Remember, this is the same unit that made the Jayhawks look like the FCS team. They shut out an SIU team with a very powerful offense. It's the same defense that kept a powerful Indiana State out of the end zone. The same team that put up 40 on the Jacks a week later. This is a great defense and the scary part is they haven't even come close to peaking.

Offense? As long as we run the ball, don't turn the ball over, don't commit too many penalties, and play the field position game... that's all we need.

Good god Gabe, you have got to quit setting yourself up. Win or lose??!! If we lose, we are not in a great position, as we would then HAVE to win next week to get to 7 wins. Don't let your excitement get in the way of intelligent posting!! Plus, if we lose this weekend, it will be way more difficult for us to get in the PO's, as we would drop down several spots and have to "win" our way in again in the last weekend of the regular season. Think about it!!!

Bottom line, we need to win out to make playoffs, as our ranking is just not high enough to leave us in the 20 team group if we lose another won, especially this late in the season when at-large selection will be based largely on late-season runs into the polls!

HerdBot
11-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Good god Gabe, you have got to quit setting yourself up. Win or lose??!! If we lose, we are not in a great position, as we would then HAVE to win next week to get to 7 wins. Don't let your excitement get in the way of intelligent posting!! Plus, if we lose this weekend, it will be way more difficult for us to get in the PO's, as we would drop down several spots and have to "win" our way in again in the last weekend of the regular season. Think about it!!!

Bottom line, we need to win out to make playoffs, as our ranking is just not high enough to leave us in the 20 team group if we lose another won, especially this late in the season when at-large selection will be based largely on late-season runs into the polls!

True but with a win Saturday we could be in. Even if we lose to MSU. Of course winning both is perfect. So you don't think a 1 game season means were in a good position?

Grizzled
11-10-2010, 06:34 PM
We are in a good position because we control our own destiny with playoff consideration. This time of year that is all a team can ask for. I don't want to rely on other teams losing so we can get in.

HerdBot
11-10-2010, 06:44 PM
We are in a good position because we control our own destiny with playoff consideration. This time of year that is all a team can ask for. I don't want to rely on other teams losing so we can get in.

Yep. Win both and we may get a home playoff game. Split and we could still get in. Its a pretty simple concept, actually. In fact most teams would love to be in our position.

The difference is I think controlling your own destiny is good. Others just want to jump directly into the playoffs.

CAS4127
11-10-2010, 07:01 PM
True but with a win Saturday we could be in. Even if we lose to MSU. Of course winning both is perfect. So you don't think a 1 game season means were in a good position?

"Could" is the operative word. I say if we lose either of our next 2 we have a very small chance of making the playoffs.

We controlled our own destiny at the beginning of the season, and put ourselves in a hole that required us to win our last three in a row. Let's just win and not worry about it. On the other hand, if we lose either, let the chips fall where they may, and NDSU has nothing to bitch about if we don't get in, as, again, we made our own bed!!

CAS4127
11-10-2010, 07:31 PM
And Gabe, do not, I repeat, do not look at the GPI thread--you may end up with self-inflicted wounds!

Herd80
11-10-2010, 08:23 PM
I must be missing something, and at the risk of sounding negative...

If we finish 7-4, and in the bottom 1/2 of the conference, are the odds of being chosen for an at-large spot even in double digits? I suppose it's happened, but other than Kansas we don't have a win that could be considered a quality win. Some might suggest that Kansas isn't too impressive.

NDSUstudent
11-10-2010, 09:08 PM
38 teams can still get 7 DI wins, I'd say a 7-4 NDSU would be fighting with about 4 teams for the last spot. So I'll call it a 25% shot and winning out means a 100% shot as long as RT isn't put on the selection committee between then and now.

Thumper 76
11-10-2010, 09:10 PM
38 teams can still get 7 DI wins, I'd say a 7-4 NDSU would be fighting with about 4 teams for the last spot. So I'll call it a 25% shot and winning out means a 100% shot as long as RT isn't put on the selection committee between then and now.

I'd have to go with what Herd said above. The chances of NDSU making it at 7-4 have to be considered around or below the 10% mark just because of the fact that they don't have a quality win since Kansas, and being in the bottom half of your conference will look really bad.

TransAmBison
11-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I'd have to go with what Herd said above. The chances of NDSU making it at 7-4 have to be considered around or below the 10% mark just because of the fact that they don't have a quality win since Kansas, and being in the bottom half of your conference will look really bad.
But...but...but...thumper....

met1990
11-10-2010, 09:14 PM
But...but...but...thumper....

Is a Butthumper kind of like Buthockey?

TransAmBison
11-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Both are close (inbred) relatives to the buttmonkey...

Herd80
11-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Right now, I'm really sorry I said anything at all...Buttmonkey? Really?

NDSUstudent
11-10-2010, 09:20 PM

It all depends on how many 7-4 teams there are. I'll stick with 25% just because Patty V seemed optimistic about it and just a few years ago she was singing a very different tune about 7-4. It could go up or down depending on what happens this weekend. NDSU's major problem right now is if the team goes 7-4 is the Herd has losses to UNI and WIU. Both those teams have a trump card over us and I'd say it is likely both finish at least 7-4.

BlueBisonRock
11-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Right now, I'm really sorry I said anything at all...Buttmonkey? Really?

Are we again focused on Wyoming's pledge?

Thumper 76
11-10-2010, 09:30 PM

A Butthumper is a person who gives out a Butthumping, the act of spanking a team horribly at their home field in a crushing, physical manner. :D

met1990
11-10-2010, 09:35 PM
A Butthumper is a person who gives out a Butthumping, the act of spanking a team horribly at their home field in a crushing, physical manner. :D

So absolutely nothing like a Buthockey?

Tatanka
11-10-2010, 10:45 PM

JUst going to have to take your word for it. You sure seem to know a lot about humping butts.

NDSUstudent
11-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Morgan State plays South Carolina State at home on ESPNU tonight. SCSU is ranked in most polls, a loss to Morgan would not only make us look better but it puts an end to SCSU's playoff hopes and dreams.

Lets go Bears.

Thumper 76
11-11-2010, 04:49 PM
So absolutely nothing like a Buthockey?

No nothing like butthockey

Thumper 76
11-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Morgan State plays South Carolina State at home on ESPNU tonight. SCSU is ranked in most polls, a loss to Morgan would not only make us look better but it puts an end to SCSU's playoff hopes and dreams.

Lets go Bears.

Not gunna happen.

90 BISON
11-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Not gunna happen.

Yeah and your point?... :D

CaBisonFan
11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
CA what is your opinion on the QB situation? If Jensen is even 75% would you risk further injury if Mohler's ball control skills continue to suffer/the offense comes out flat?

If he's dressed...I'll assume that he can play. That's how I see it.

You can bet that one of SDSU's goals is to stick it to Jose on every play...and even risk a roughing penalty or two. That...you can write down.

Their style is to intimidate the QB...to send the house...and to risk giving up the bigger play. Dangerous situation for any of our quarterbacks. Our offensive line (and running backs) had better be on their game in terms of protection.

If the docs say he's a 'go'.....play him. I'm sure that he'll be wearing some type of protective device if the intention is to play him at all.

Would I risk his future? Nope...but if the docs say it's ok...play him.