PDA

View Full Version : GSMB - Epic Movie Show

mebisonII
11-08-2010, 10:17 PM
So I can't find it on youtube, and I think you have to have facebook to see this, but the video of the Epic Movie Show by the GSMB is just awesome. Starts a little slow with a couple stills, but the Robin Hood arrow and the rocking ship (Pirates of the Caribean??) were fantastic. That must have been a fun and hard show to put together!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=635649930619&oid=132085200150015

TbonZach
11-08-2010, 11:15 PM
So I can't find it on youtube, and I think you have to have facebook to see this, but the video of the Epic Movie Show by the GSMB is just awesome. Starts a little slow with a couple stills, but the Robin Hood arrow and the rocking ship (Pirates of the Caribean??) were fantastic. That must have been a fun and hard show to put together!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=635649930619&oid=132085200150015

I can attest to that. It seemed like the drill charts changed every other rehearsal. Other than that it was a great show to put on the field. And yes, it was Pirates.

My favourite comments from the video:

1) "That's so cool!" (referring to the arrow)
2) "It's sinking!" (referring to the ship)
3) "Boba Fett!

Hammersmith
11-09-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm so sorry, but I think that was the cheesiest show I've ever seen. I remember my thoughts on Saturday(I was high up on the west side near the 50 - perfect view).

"Oh, Superman. That's decent to start. That must be the Superman shield on the field, but it's nearly impossible to make out since it's green uniforms on a green field."

"Oh, Jurassic Park. That's typical. Please don't make a dinosaur, please don't make a dinosaur, please don't... Oh look, it's a dinosaur."

"What the heck is this music? What the heck is this drill? What the heck are those two doing with plastic somethings?" - BTW, I still don't know. Gladiator, maybe? At least do Ben Hur if you're going to do a fighting scene.

"Okay, Robin Hood. Why is there a giant dildo on the field, and why is it headed for the flag girls?"

"Pirates of the Caribbean. God I hate this music so much" Long story.

"Star Wars. The only words that a band should ever be allowed to spell on the field are the name of the school(NDSU), the mascot(BISON), or Ohio(special case). R2D2 - okay, that one was cool(although no one got it). Boba Fett - ehhh."

"ET. Going to go for the finger? Would fit with the dildo from Robin Hood. Nope, a bike that very few will understand."

I had to explain what almost every form was to the people around me, so I'm not exaggerating by much. And if you're going to do movie themes with related forms, where the heck was the flux capacitor from Back to the Future? That one looks pretty cool when you have the band moving like the lights. It also gives everyone a craving for pot and cheetos.

Again, sorry for being the cynical bastard that I am.

BigDeal
11-09-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm so sorry, but I think that was the cheesiest show I've ever seen. I remember my thoughts on Saturday(I was high up on the west side near the 50 - perfect view).

"Oh, Superman. That's decent to start. That must be the Superman shield on the field, but it's nearly impossible to make out since it's green uniforms on a green field."

"Oh, Jurassic Park. That's typical. Please don't make a dinosaur, please don't make a dinosaur, please don't... Oh look, it's a dinosaur."

"What the heck is this music? What the heck is this drill? What the heck are those two doing with plastic somethings?" - BTW, I still don't know. Gladiator, maybe? At least do Ben Hur if you're going to do a fighting scene.

"Okay, Robin Hood. Why is there a giant dildo on the field, and why is it headed for the flag girls?"

"Pirates of the Caribbean. God I hate this music so much" Long story.

"Star Wars. The only words that a band should ever be allowed to spell on the field are the name of the school(NDSU), the mascot(BISON), or Ohio(special case). R2D2 - okay, that one was cool(although no one got it). Boba Fett - ehhh."

"ET. Going to go for the finger? Would fit with the dildo from Robin Hood. Nope, a bike that very few will understand."

I had to explain what almost every form was to the people around me, so I'm not exaggerating by much. And if you're going to do movie themes with related forms, where the heck was the flux capacitor from Back to the Future? That one looks pretty cool when you have the band moving like the lights. It also gives everyone a craving for pot and cheetos.

Again, sorry for being the cynical bastard that I am.

Where have I seen that drill before???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfxETOrzpFk&feature=related

Hammersmith
11-09-2010, 01:05 AM

Not quite as cheesy, but still pretty bad.

Things we can learn from Ohio State:

Don't line up your letters. The HOLLYWOOD looks better than if they would've lined it up perfect.
Props make the difference.
Size matters. Bigger bands can spread out the field and make shapes more obvious.
Titanic - cheesy. Titanic breaking apart while it sinks - hilarious.
Was that Yogurt or Yoda? (Spaceballs reference)
Overall, space people out more, and don't be afraid to stretch horizontal.

Still my favorite "fun" show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2UaVcZPsYU

gobison.gsb
11-09-2010, 01:11 AM

:hide: Yeah. There are some definite similarities. :blush: When picking out music for an "Epic" movie show, besides Indiana Jones, this was the most recognizable music out there. Since the music was similar, hence the similar drill. But we tried our best to make it original to us in some aspects.

To give some people some perspective of the hard work we've put into this show. In a normal GSMB show, there is usually movement on the first and third songs for a total of 15-20 'sets' or movements. This show had continuous music for 8 minutes with 38 sets (counting sub-sets).

All in all, it maybe cheesy, but it was intended for the students (or a the last game, lack-thereof). We were trying a different show that we have never done before and extremely proud of the work and result on the field.

Hope that makes it a little more understandable.

North Side
11-09-2010, 01:13 AM
sweet job.... GSMB has come a long way since my freshman year back in 07

Hammersmith
11-09-2010, 01:33 AM
:hide: Yeah. There are some definite similarities. :blush: When picking out music for an "Epic" movie show, besides Indiana Jones, this was the most recognizable music out there. Since the music was similar, hence the similar drill. But we tried our best to make it original to us in some aspects.

To give some people some perspective of the hard work we've put into this show. In a normal GSMB show, there is usually movement on the first and third songs for a total of 15-20 'sets' or movements. This show had continuous music for 8 minutes with 38 sets (counting sub-sets).

All in all, it maybe cheesy, but it was intended for the students (or a the last game, lack-thereof). We were trying a different show that we have never done before and extremely proud of the work and result on the field.

Hope that makes it a little more understandable.

Please don't think I'm mocking the effort of the band members. You can only learn/march the drill you're given. More than most, I understand the work it takes to put this stuff on the field(I put in 6 years). I do have to say that I don't think you've reached the max that can be done. I wish I still had some of my old charts, but I think we used to do 15+ sets per song(1st & 3rd songs) back in the old days. And at least 3 and often 4 shows per year. I just don't like your drill writing, and I haven't all year. It's uninspired. I could break down the problems, but this really isn't the place. But I bet I can guess that most of it is written by the grad students, maybe some by undergrad music majors, and some by Sig. And I suspect Sig doesn't have much experience with modern drill outside of the couple years he spent at Memphis as a doctoral student(sorry if I'm totally wrong with that). I would love to see some modern DCI techniques worked into the shows. I know the GSMB can never do the same kind of drill as a top drum corps, but it could easily add some elements that would have a big impact. Sorry, this is a pet peeve thing.

Hammersmith
11-09-2010, 02:04 AM
To those who hated the show:

the fans don't clap when the band did "classic rock" shows (elton john, chicago, journey, stix, aerosmith)

the fans don't clap when the band did "themed" shows (007, Wild West, Latin, World Tour Show)

the fans only really applauded with a Batman symbol or doing the "Thriller" dance.

the band just did their most epic show,in my opinion, and some complain.

They are more than happy to take suggestions, so please, let them know what kind of shows you want to see so you can stop complaining.

You just aren't going to get a huge response out of the FD crowd no matter what you do. Accept it as quickly as you can and don't let it bother you. If the crowd barely makes noise during the football game, how can you expect it to do better for the band when half the crowd is grabbing a hot dog or taking a piss, and those left in the stands are busy talking to each other about the Vikings/bad QB play/crops/the deer they bagged/etc. Take what you can get and let the rest go. And I wasn't complaining about the choice in music(except for Pirates - which is a personal thing - and whatever that fighting song was - get that out of the folder as soon as you can). As I said in the post above, it was the drill I had problems with, not the music or the execution.

You want impact? Make the drill fit the music. As far as I've seen this year(and I think I've seen all the shows at least once), there's no link. If the music is fast, use drill that is fast and tight. If the music is broad and slow, use open forms that span the field. Get rid of symmetry except for impact points. Use more curved shapes. Not circles, curves. They're more difficult, but the payoff is bigger. Use the whole field. Sure the power zone is great, but stuffing 200+ players into it just gets everything squashed. Only use it for the end and the rare exception. Use half-time steps more often.

I can go on and on(obviously), but I think you get the point. The stuff I'm seeing on the field looks more like the final projects we did in Dr. Mack's marching band methods class than what I'd hope to see from a well-supported DI marching band. The sound is great. The execution of the drill is pretty darn good. It's not the band members I'm calling out. Now, if you're one of the drill writers, I can see why you might not like what I'm saying. But drill writing takes many(many) years of practice to get good at, and(if I'm right) I'm not comfortable that we're seeing the product of people who have only been doing this a short time. There is most definitely a place for student-created work, but not in the drill. At least not all the drill. Maybe one student-created show per year(counting grad students). Or a student show that has been thoroughly worked over by someone experienced. Have the student creator(s) be part of the rewrite and use it as a learning experience. If no one on staff is good enough at drill writing, hire a pro for at least one show a year and study what they do. Get DVDs of the DCI championships and pick them apart. You guys are musicians! Think opera. Think musicals. Heck, grab some Gene Kelley musicals and watch how he turns raw music into something visual. Apply that to the drill writing. It will help.

Okay, gotta quit now. Have little s&*ts to deal with in the morning. Just think of me as a Froelich. Cutting you apart to make you better.

TbonZach
11-09-2010, 02:07 AM
....I could break down the problems, but this really isn't the place....I would love to see some modern DCI techniques worked into the shows. I know the GSMB can never do the same kind of drill as a top drum corps, but it could easily add some elements that would have a big impact. Sorry, this is a pet peeve thing.

Actually I would love to hear some of your ideas. I agree that a lot of the drill has been lackluster this year.

*EDIT: you posted your mini-rant right before me and they ended up on separate pages. I like your ideas, though.

gobison.gsb
11-09-2010, 02:30 AM
Actually I would love to hear some of your ideas. I agree that a lot of the drill has been lackluster this year.
*EDIT: you posted your mini-rant right before me and they ended up on separate pages. I like your ideas, though.

Just curious, as compared to what drill, in what year?........

TbonZach
11-09-2010, 03:01 AM
Just curious, as compared to what drill, in what year?........

Compared to nothing. For the most part, the drill has always been lacking since I've been here. Obviously I'm no expert but I do understand it's a hard task to write good drill. I've always been in favour of hiring out the drill writing if the money were available. Now, with that said, I do think the overall drill has grown leaps and bounds in the past couple of years.

Ok. Enough thread drift. Go band! Great show! Looking forward to Saturday/Sunday!

99Bison
11-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Good Job GSMB on this forget Hammersmith today, he's just cynical old band guy. :) The show was more attentively watched, people we figuring it out around me and yes it drew way more applause than anything else this year. Personally liked the ship movement and R2D2.

BigDeal
11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Okay, I figured it out. go.band is or knows the person who spent countless hours on pyware in the middle of the night trying to get those K's and T's to line up nice and thus the reaction when the first remotely negative comment towards the band this year was when the show was called "cheesy." You guys should be so lucky as to get a 10 week free pass into the season. A record perhaps?

Basically, Hammersmith and I have the exact same thoughts so I'm not going to waste time retyping everything he said a few hours ago, but I have a few things to add.

The first rule of writing drill is the pick good music. This arrangement was a miss for me. It reminded me of a medley a high school band would play to finish out the last "fun" concert of the year. Pirates is overdone, Robin Hood's music was good, but it was released back in '91, and I don't know what the sword fighting thing was. All that thematic material needed drill to go with it and thus you got picture, transition, picture, transition, etc. It was still better than almost every show I ever marched with the GSMB, but Hammersmith raises good points about the larger picture.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f378/owlmirror/drillbabydrill.jpg

I was really hoping for the "wow" drill factor when the band enrollment exploded in 2008. Instead, I have seen straight lines, curved symmetrical lines, and boxes or variations of boxes with everything being symmetrical to the 50 yard line. Drill writing is going from sideline to sideline. We've waited years for the numbers we have now. Show off the band's size by stretching yourselves closer to the endzones and extend yourselves no farther than those back hashes. You looked cluttered back there. Mix up the intervals. Everyone is always two steps away from each other. Get some 3 (not ideal) or 4 step intervals in there and mix it up to show some contrast.

Every set is being written as an impact set. Work the audience a little bit by throwing in some curvilinear lines, asymmetrical sets, and work up to that big impact. I know it's scary to think of asymmetrical lines if you were in band prior to 2008, but they are a good thing when used correctly.

Better yet, hire the drill out. That's why people have those jobs... because they are good at what they do. Undergrads shouldn't be writing drill for DI programs. I hope, anyway, the band isn't relying on undergrads to do it.

Now, anyone who has been around a while knows that these criticisms are much different than the "red drums suck," "fire the director," "please don't let the band travel" attitude of before. You should also know by now that everyone on Bisonville thinks they know everything about everything and band members who do not have thick skin should not log in. Your sound is full, your music selection has come a long way, your marching is much more precise, and the colorguard finally knows what they are doing. Now, where does the band want to go from here?

tony
11-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Good Job GSMB on this forget Hammersmith today, he's just cynical old band guy. :) The show was more attentively watched, people we figuring it out around me and yes it drew way more applause than anything else this year. Personally liked the ship movement and R2D2.

Arrr. Nice pirate ship!

Bison"FANatic"
11-09-2010, 12:31 PM
I was just happy to sit in the stands and not be able to predict the next shape that I had saw for the last 15 years. It was entertaining and I look forward to this weekend.

mebisonII
11-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Like any sort of performance, you're never going to be able to please everyone. :) I enjoyed it and its getting lots of comments on facebook, so lots of other people enjoyed it too.

Go band!

p.s. band controversy is good for BV...I know of at least one member who found the site because he heard people were bashing the band, and then never really left... ;)

BigDeal
11-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Like any sort of performance, you're never going to be able to please everyone. :) I enjoyed it and its getting lots of comments on facebook, so lots of other people enjoyed it too.

Go band!

p.s. band controversy is good for BV...I know of at least one member who found the site because he heard people were bashing the band, and then never really left... ;)

Me? You? TbonZach? Any number of other people?

mebisonII
11-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Me? You? TbonZach? Any number of other people?

Me for sure. Not sure how the rest of you all found the place, or who approved your memberships! :p

FromTheEmpire
11-09-2010, 09:07 PM
GSMB has been doing wonderful the last two seasons. Much different from the past when it was very predictable.

I don't mean to go on a band tangent here but the Univ. of Michigan did a very cool rendition of the Wizard of Oz here with some knocks on their Big Ten rivals (minus the Gophers of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Dd7w8_AYc

BigDeal
11-09-2010, 09:40 PM
go.band, check you PM's

TbonZach
11-09-2010, 10:58 PM
You? Me? Them? Everybody! Everybody!

Fixed it. ;)

And I'm another one that found BV because of the band bashing back in 2004.

stevdock
11-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Please don't take offense to this but I look forward to the days again where the football team is leaps and bounds ahead of the band. Used to be that way, now the band has caught up and last couple years exceeded the football team. This year, I think they are about even.

Good news for the band though that means they have greatly improved. The last few years I've actually watched most of the halftime shows. Before then, I honestly didn't care for many reasons (not loud enough, not big enough, etc).

Herd Mentality
11-12-2010, 05:46 PM
I was oblivious to any formations in the front row. Love the comment on the video about somebody chanting "one more song"... Hell, I had a little liquor in me and I was just happy I recognized a few of the songs they were playing.

Girls twirling guns always gets some props IMHO though.

mebisonII
11-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Please don't take offense to this but I look forward to the days again where the football team is leaps and bounds ahead of the band. Used to be that way, now the band has caught up and last couple years exceeded the football team. This year, I think they are about even.

Good news for the band though that means they have greatly improved. The last few years I've actually watched most of the halftime shows. Before then, I honestly didn't care for many reasons (not loud enough, not big enough, etc).

There are two ways to get there, hope we pick the right one! :nod:

BigDeal
11-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Maybe the band and the football team need to swap practice areas to level the playing field!

go.band
11-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Maybe the band and the football team need to swap practice areas to level the playing field!

This year they actually have. The band has used the grass practice fields more than they have used Dakotah!

Bison bison
11-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Girls twirling guns always gets some props IMHO though.

Palin 2012!