PDA

View Full Version : Warren Holloway

HerdBot
11-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Warren Holloway? He is an elite deep threat. He had a 3 game stretch that he was absolutely phenomenal. He took over the South Dakota game like Randy Moss in his prime. I haven't even seen a lot of balls thrown his way since. The only throw to him on Saturday was a deep ball that would have been an easy six. He had the guy beat by 5 yards but he dropped it. We'll have to give him a free pass on that one because normally he has great hands. Why isn't he getting more throws?

Morgan State - 3 receptions - 37 yards - 2 TD
South Dakota - 3 receptions - 109 yards - 1 TD
Western Illinois - 7 receptions - 184 yards

KTF
11-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Warren Holloway? He is an elite deep threat. He had a 3 game stretch that he was absolutely phenomenal. He took over the South Dakota game like Randy Moss in his prime. I haven't even seen a lot of balls thrown his way since. The only throw to him on Saturday was a deep ball that would have been an easy six. He had the guy beat by 5 yards but he dropped it. We'll have to give him a free pass on that one because normally he has great hands. Why isn't he getting more throws?

Jenson isn't around to throw it deep to him...

bisonmike2
11-08-2010, 04:12 PM

Was going to say this. Jenson stretched the field a lot more than Jose.

SDbison
11-08-2010, 04:25 PM
This............and NDSU runs the West Choke offense. The Bison also have Vigen as QB coach and offensive coordinator. I am just as qualified to be the VP of Engineering and CEO of the complany I work at. At least I have an engineering degree and plenty of experience.
NDSU will continue to suffer on offense as long as Bohl keeps insisting Vigen is good for this team. He is underqualified and just like a rookie player we have to go through unnecessary growing pains. Also no guarantee Vigen will ever be a good offensive cordinator.
THIS IS A BIG MISTAKE BY BOHL.

HerdBot
11-08-2010, 04:40 PM

Jose can throw deep. He just doesn't throw deep as much. Is that the coach or the player?

TransAmBison
11-08-2010, 04:45 PM
He only had that one throw to him...and he dropped it. That drop was huge. He HAS to make that catch. Other than that, I didn't see him getting open. I have to wonder if he is not very good at running routes. Anybody out there know anything on this? He is far from a go-to guy...is it him, the qb, the OC, or a combo of all? Personally, this game was a chess match that Bohl got ultra conservative on...and I can't blame him. We get creative and make a mistake and things could go bad. If we were behind everything would have to change, but against Lennon I think he went the best route. But, Holloway should still be getting his touches...so that makes me question his route running ability.

HerdBot
11-08-2010, 04:52 PM
He only had that one throw to him...and he dropped it. That drop was huge. He HAS to make that catch. Other than that, I didn't see him getting open. I have to wonder if he is not very good at running routes. Anybody out there know anything on this? He is far from a go-to guy...is it him, the qb, the OC, or a combo of all? Personally, this game was a chess match that Bohl got ultra conservative on...and I can't blame him. We get creative and make a mistake and things could go bad. If we were behind everything would have to change, but against Lennon I think he went the best route. But, Holloway should still be getting his touches...so that makes me question his route running ability.

I haven't heard anything about his route running. He's a game breaker with major speed. I'm not saying he needs 10 throws a game but we need to get this guy involved and stretch the defense.

Siouxfallsbison
11-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Heard from a reliable source that the DB covering Holloway is a projected to go in the 3rd round this year.

HerdBot
11-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Heard from a reliable source that the DB covering Holloway is a projected to go in the 3rd round this year.

Well not sure if it's the same guy but Holloway sure make him look bad on the deep ball. Of course had he caught it the guys stock would have dropped. :)

semobison
11-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Holloway, very inconsistant! He is no Cole Heckendorf!

tcbison
11-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Holloway, very inconsistant! He is no Cole Heckendorf!

You mean Kole Heckendorf.

ndbj52
11-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Jose can throw deep. He just doesn't throw deep as much. Is that the coach or the player?

Player. Jose cam throw deep but isn't as effective as Jenson. Jose is much more effective in the screen game.

bisonfan11
11-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I would like to see Holloway run more intermediate routes. Holloway is a great deep threat, but not much else.

BisoninNWMN
11-08-2010, 09:50 PM

He is not elite by any means. Elite makes that wide open catch for a TD. Good, ya but he drops balls and runs poor routes also.

Elite for the Bison were Heck and Travis White in our short DI existence.....WH has a long way to go to be compared to them. But he is a deep threat for us that teams need to be aware of.

stevdock
11-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Jose consistently throws the worst deep ball between the three healthy QB's before the game. Also he doesn't get enough air under the ball. The wide open pass to Howard that he missed was a perfect example. All he had to do was throw it up there and let him run underneath it. The funny thing is I think Jensen gets too much air under the ball, but I'll take that rather than not getting enough.

Ferd
11-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Jose consistently throws the worst deep ball between the three healthy QB's before the game. Also he doesn't get enough air under the ball. The wide open pass to Howard that he missed was a perfect example. All he had to do was throw it up there and let him run underneath it. The funny thing is I think Jensen gets too much air under the ball, but I'll take that rather than not getting enough.

Which is exactly what he did for Hollaway, but, oops... he dropped it :banghead:

OMG... it was a sure 6.

But don't quit throwing to him.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Warren is more of a deep pass receiver, Jose doesn't have a huge arm, Justin Howard is more of the short pass receiver and that is why Howard is getting more passes thrown to than Warren :bow:

TransAmBison
11-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Warren is more of a deep pass receiver, Jose doesn't have a huge arm, Justin Howard is more of the short pass receiver and that is why Howard is getting more passes thrown to than Warren :bow:
That's just a nice way of saying Holloway doesn't run good routes or have good hands. :hide: Kind of like a girl telling Herdmentality he's a really good friend...somebody she can talk to and not worry about things getting "physical".

DjKyRo
11-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Jensen developed a great chemistry with Holloway, hitting him deep a number of times. We're seeing that same chemistry develop between Mohler and Howard. Different QBs simply have different tendencies and while Jensen has a solid deep ball I was concerned with his ability to hit the short passes - I can't help but recall the ball he air-mailed right over the RB's head when he was wide-open in the flat. Thank goodness he didn't short that pass because it'd have been a fumble if it had stayed in-bounds. The WCO is so dependent on the nickle-and-dime stuff and as beneficial as it is to have an effective deep-ball QB it's more critical, in my opinion, to have an efficient short- to mid-range QB. Jose's been reliable in the short game and it's how our offense is built, and thus far it's been moderately effective in moving the ball downfield. The problems with punching it into the endzone are evident, but I'm not convinced it's the QB's fault exclusively. I'm of the opinion that we'll be alright while Jose is our QB, and after the season and into spring and fall camp we can decide who the "QB of the Future" is going to be.

semobison
11-08-2010, 11:11 PM
The reason we dont go downfield is that we only throw on 3rd and long, they send pressure, and we dont have time for a deep route to develope! Having success in the deep passing game depends on the element of suprise. Play action on 1st down, 2nd and short.... The problem we have on offense is that we are WAY to predictable!!

Bisonwinagn
11-08-2010, 11:38 PM
The reason we dont go downfield is that we only throw on 3rd and long, they send pressure, and we dont have time for a deep route to develope! Having success in the deep passing game depends on the element of suprise. Play action on 1st down, 2nd and short.... The problem we have on offense is that we are WAY to predictable!!

Agreed. I don't think we have plays in the playbook that send receivers deep more than one out of ten times. Almost all the plays are designed to go for five yards. Just the syle of offense.

ndsubison1
11-09-2010, 01:13 AM

Because of our QB/play calling. I dont get how we dont try to get him more involved

ndsubison1
11-09-2010, 01:14 AM
I am just as qualified to be the VP of Engineering and CEO of the complany I work at. At least I have an engineering degree and plenty of experience.

Congrats? .