PDA

View Full Version : SIU postgame analysis.....

WYOBISONMAN
11-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Put 'em here.

BisonBabe
11-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Defense won us the game.

bisonfan11
11-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Mohler needs to be a better decision maker. He runs too much and none of his runs seemed to amount to anything. And Mohler doesn't seem to be a real threat in the passing game.

duluthbison
11-06-2010, 11:13 PM
From what I heard on the radio....it was an ugly win. Defense gave up too many yards (close to 300 I think). But hey, It's a win and it gets us that much closer to the playoffs!:nod:

IzzyFlexion
11-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Mohler needs to be a better decision maker. He runs too much and none of his runs seemed to amount to anything. And Mohler doesn't seem to be a real threat in the passing game.

He did have a beauty hitting Holloway in stride that would have been a pretty six.

chuckles
11-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Not a playoff caliber team

duluthbison
11-06-2010, 11:15 PM

But wasn't the goal to make an appearance? Think back to last year....if we make the playoffs and win the conference it will be a huge step from where we were at this point last year!

MN_BISON
11-06-2010, 11:15 PM

If they win out they sure as hell are but that's yet to be seen.

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2010, 11:19 PM

I think at this point Mohler is what he is. He isn't going to be much of a passing threat and he's going to continue to try and do more with his running.

If NDSu wants to make any kind of run, they are going to need their defense to play like they did today and then some. Defense I thought was very stout today.

Scooter1
Bison defense was very good.:)

Patty V is going to have a chance to influence the SDSU game again.:smh:

35 yard pass at the end of the first half for SIU was a false start...on the receiver that caught the ball. :smh:

Catch the ball Holloway!!! Perfect throw.:banghead:

You have to hit the wide open receiver in the endzone, Jose!! :banghead:

Defense definitely won this one. :nod:

IzzyFlexion
Only 2 carries for Voigtlander.
1st for 16, 2nd for 30.
That's an issue with me and I'm sure many others.

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2010, 11:20 PM

Defense was very solid today. One of their better games of the year, IMHO.

WYOBISONMAN
11-06-2010, 11:20 PM

I would agree.....if we limp into the playoffs we will have a hard time competing.

chuckles
11-06-2010, 11:21 PM
If they win out they sure as hell are but that's yet to be seen.

Yes don't get me wrong, they are still playoff eligible and I am happy of our win loss record. They just don't play fundamental football. Stupid mistakes, penalties, etc.. The team hasn't fired on all cylinders all season. IF we do make the postseason we better hope everything clicks better than it has in the regular season or all this hype to the playoffs will lead to a bisonville melt down.

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2010, 11:21 PM
I would agree.....if we limp into the playoffs we will have a hard time competing.

I didn't think we had any shot of the playoffs whatsoever this year. I think at this point I will take what I can get with that.

bri-dog
11-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Defense did give up a lot of yards, but there were a few big plays (including a couple in the "prevent") and they spent waaaayyy to much time on the field. I thought they showed a lot of heart and played their asses off for the most part. Got some key turnovers.

Do we have a game plan on offense, or does Vigen just draw the freakin' plays out of a hat? Of course he can use a REALLY small hat on first down, because the only 3 plays he has in the hat are "run right", "run left", and "run middle". I wonder what would happen if we ever threw on 1st down? I'd like to see a rundown of our first-down plays...:banghead:

semobison
11-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Big win! The defense doesnt give up a TD! If Holloway catches that perfect throw we would have blown this open early! The blocked punt and SIU having 4 turnovers was really the difference. Offense took the 3rd quarter off, Zero yards! I still think our offensive problem is that we are way too predictable. Can our D win 2 more for us??

MN_BISON
11-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Yes don't get me wrong, they are still playoff eligible and I am happy of our win loss record. They just don't play fundamental football. Stupid mistakes, penalties, etc.. The team hasn't fired on all cylinders all season. IF we do make the postseason we better hope everything clicks better than it has in the regular season or all this hype to the playoffs will lead to a bisonville melt down.

I hear ya Chuckles, agreed, things need to be cleaned up and the offense still has miles to go but after last year this team has come a long way and if they get to 8 wins and make the second season, they deserve to be praised even if things were to get ugly. One at a time though, next week The Herd has the Bunnies, time to take care of business and get OUR Marker back!

NDSUstudent
11-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Defense played great, Vigen needs to figure things out. I'm sorry but we had a bye week and we were playing a team that was basically starting their scout team secondary, give Jose a shot to exploit it. I swear I was watching Brad Childress running the Bison offense today.

But hey we won. 6-3 is looking good, beat the rabbits and we are playoff eligible. People don't you dare complain about our defense, six points on the scoreboard who cares about how many yards they had. The defense forced three turnovers and really we didn't have that many penalties. It was a lot like the KU game where we just said we have the lead, try to beat us and SIU couldn't do a damn thing against our D.

bisonmike2
11-06-2010, 11:41 PM
sdsu will take us to the woodshed if we play like that on offense next week.

No_Skill
11-06-2010, 11:44 PM
He did have a beauty hitting Holloway in stride that would have been a pretty six.

Yeah, unfortunately he's only good for one per game.

Fightin' Bison
11-06-2010, 11:45 PM
SIU had more rush yards, more pass yards, more 3rd down conversions, more 4th down conversions and more time of possession. Defense did not win this game. SIU lost it through turnovers and penalties. Bison got lucky by capitalizing after being beaten in every statistical category.

Scooter1
11-06-2010, 11:52 PM
SIU had more rush yards, more pass yards, more 3rd down conversions, more 4th down conversions and more time of possession. Defense did not win this game. SIU lost it through turnovers and penalties. Bison got lucky by capitalizing after being beaten in every statistical category.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

EXCEPT THE #1 STAT.....THE SCORE

I remember Mississippi Valley State University held us under 300 yards total offense in Fargo...i guess we got lucky then, too.

NDSUstudent
11-06-2010, 11:54 PM

Complete and utter fiction. The defense forced those turnovers and was their typical bend but don't break selves.

HerdBot
11-06-2010, 11:55 PM

Did you watch the same game as I did? Our defense allowed 6 points to one of the best offenses in the FCS. We were outgained because of turnovers, special teams points, a short field, and too many 3&outs on offense. We should have beaten them by 30 points.

NDSU1980
11-06-2010, 11:57 PM
It may not have been a stellar game for the offense and hopefully things get better, but we won, and that's what counts. One foot in front of the other; one game at a time and we'll get there. Trust me, the win's will come.

Fightin' Bison
11-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Complete and utter fiction. The defense forced those turnovers and was their typical bend but don't break selves.

Sorry if my facts got in the way of your opinion.

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Did you watch the same game as I did? Our defense allowed 6 points to one of the best offenses in the FCS. We were outgained because of turnovers, special teams points, a short field, and too many 3&outs on offense. We should have beaten them by 30 points.

Agreed. I don't know how anyone who watched the game can say our defense did not play well, especially considering. Our defense was outstanding.

silkamilkamonico
11-07-2010, 12:00 AM

You conveniently ignored the most important fact of all. 6 points to a team averaging 30 ppg.

NDSUstudent
11-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Facts? Our offense did nothing, you used their stats to make the defense look bad. The defense shut them down and their play and our special teams puts us in solid field position all game.

I don't care about time of possesion, yards gained, 3rd down, etc when we won the field position battle all day long.

IzzyFlexion
11-07-2010, 12:02 AM
SIU scored 38 vs. UNI.
Today, despite leading in total offense their 6 points is their second lowest total of the season. The Illini held them to 3.
Forcing/creating turnovers seems to be the biggest strength of this year's defense. A solid variety of blitz packages have been effective too.

NDSUstudent
11-07-2010, 12:06 AM
I just don't get how somebody can say we were lucky to win that game. It makes no sense. SIU barely even threatened to take the lead once, it was like a dream game because we for once controlled the game from start to finish.

silkamilkamonico
11-07-2010, 12:11 AM
I just don't get how somebody can say we were lucky to win that game. It makes no sense. SIU barely even threatened to take the lead once, it was like a dream game because we for once controlled the game from start to finish.

We didn't play very well at all offensively. We played more than well enough to win the game though, Southern Illinois didn't really threaten at all the entire game and our special teams made more impact plays then their entire offense the whole game.

I thought we controlled the entire game, just like you said, regardless of how our paltry offense.

walknroehl
11-07-2010, 12:17 AM

LOL. If our defense can give us 3 opinions every game you can have your "facts".

Hola
11-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Defense looked fast, much like they did at KU. I am guessing getting healthy and 2 weeks to prepare helps. Angles and tackling looked very good. Marcus Williams on the stop when the QB broke outside was a hec of a play. Pressure was good when it needed to be. Jose appears to be competent, but not a difference maker. As long as the defense plays like it did tonight, that will be enough to keep the Bison in the game. When they don't, not sure where who will be able to step up on the Offense at this time to offset any defensive lapses. I think Jensen held that type of promise, but with the amount of time he actually played the jury is still out. The team is very young, so even muddling though games and coming out with a win is a huge plus.

Fightin' Bison
11-07-2010, 12:45 AM
LOL. If our defense can give us 3 opinions every game you can have your "facts".

The problem is you can't count on the other team giving you the ball 3 times a game. Those giveaways tell more about why SIU scored 6 and played on a long field than anything else. Bison capitalized, which is what they are supposed to do, but do they win the game without the SIU mistakes (which can't be counted on from the next opponent)? Not with no offense. And I didn't "make" any facts. I repeated the truth as recorded by a nuetral party. Everything else is a story meant to make you feel good.

Scooter1
11-07-2010, 12:47 AM

Come over to my house and you can watch NDSU win again. :bow:

The majority of this game was played in SIU territory...forgot that FACT didn't you?:D

IzzyFlexion
11-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Come over to my house and you can watch NDSU win again. :bow:

The majority of this game was played in SIU territory...forgot that FACT didn't you?:D

Much of that can be attributed to the fantastic punting of Prelvitz.

Da_Bison
11-07-2010, 12:58 AM

I agree, when a team has to resort to a fake punt and an on side kick there basically sayin "we can't beat you straight up"

Hammersmith
11-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Two things I found funny even if they were meaningless.

1. Looking at the scoreboard and seeing a 7-0 Bison lead, but -11 yards offense was something I don't expect to see again.

2. Some of our guys have terrible situational awareness. Last SIU possession; fourth and 8. SIU QB scrambles and fumbles the ball about 5 yards shy of the 1st down marker. Bison players dive and fight for the football. As the refs try to pull apart the pile, other Bison players dance around waving their arms to indicate a Bison recover of the football. Dudes...it was 4th down! It didn't matter who recovered the fumble, it was Bison ball either way! Why fight for the football and risk injury(or a penalty that would restart the drive) when it's meaningless? Hell, gift wrap the ball and politely push it to any SIU player on the ground; it doesn't change the outcome.

Obligatory band comment: I guess I don't understand crowds around here. I thought that was the cheesiest show I've ever seen by a long shot. But everyone around me loved it. Go figure. Oh, and that was a painful SSB today.

1bizon1
11-07-2010, 01:03 AM
The problem is you can't count on the other team giving you the ball 3 times a game. Those giveaways tell more about why SIU scored 6 and played on a long field than anything else. Bison capitalized, which is what they are supposed to do, but do they win the game without the SIU mistakes (which can't be counted on from the next opponent)? Not with no offense. And I didn't "make" any facts. I repeated the truth as recorded by a nuetral party. Everything else is a story meant to make you feel good.

Just give it up, no one agrees with you on this one.

Hammersmith
11-07-2010, 01:07 AM
A question for those of you with great Bison/Sioux memories. Back when Babich called for that onside kick to start the 2nd half against the Sioux(late 90's?), was Lennon the coach or RT?

NDSUstudent
11-07-2010, 01:08 AM
A question for those of you with great Bison/Sioux memories. Back when Babich called for that onside kick to start the 2nd half against the Sioux(late 90's?), was Lennon the coach or RT?

It was 2000 so I'm guessing Lennon.

EndZoneQB
11-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Bison defense was very good.:)

35 yard pass at the end of the first half for SIU was a false start...on the receiver that caught the ball. :smh:

Catch the ball Holloway!!! Perfect throw.:banghead:

You have to hit the wide open receiver in the endzone, Jose!! :banghead:

Defense definitely won this one. :nod:

Grothmann should never have gone to the ground on that play. It wasn't the greatest throw, but that was definitely a catch if he stays up.

It seems like Mohler is handcuffed by the play calling. We came out spreading the defense out, moved the ball pretty decent. We took TWO shots deep in like 3 plays. Both were WIDE open. Holloway obviously dropped his, and Howard isn't as fast as Holloway. They NEVER went back to it. Did anyone noticed how the safeties were playing the whole game???? Nothing but DOWN HILL. They weren't looking for anything over the top...you gotta go back to it, on a different down than 3rd and 8.

EndZoneQB
11-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Just give it up, no one agrees with you on this one.

I disagree. He has great points. The defense made some plays, no doubt, but sometimes its better to be lucky than good. They had a few long runs, which is not a good sign. It was a win, but there is A LOT to work on for next week.

ISXBISON
11-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Defense looked solid. Great pressure on qb and he took a pounding. Got lucky quite a few times when SIU's receivers couldn't catch some easy balls. Evans looked really good today--had some great hits.

Offense...fugly. Need a qb that can see over the line. Missed several open receivers down field and across the middle. Duck and run...
Howard looked good.
Holloway's drop shoulda been an easy 6:banghead: :banghead:
DJ danced quite a bit again and missed some potential big gains.
Losing Lund is going to hurt--we're really thin on the line. Hinz looked pretty good but not a good thing having 2 true freshman starting.

Next week is definitely going to be interesting

duluthbison
11-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Defense looked solid. Great pressure on qb and he took a pounding. Got lucky quite a few times when SIU's receivers couldn't catch some easy balls. Evans looked really good today--had some great hits.

Offense...fugly. Need a qb that can see over the line. Missed several open receivers down field and across the middle. Duck and run...
Howard looked good.
Losing Lund is going to hurt--we're really thin on the line. Hinz looked pretty good but not a good thing having 2 true freshman starting.

The bunnies are gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or it could turn into a match like the Vikes v. Saints in the NFC game :hide:

BisoninNWMN
11-07-2010, 01:31 AM

Offense...fugly. Need a qb that can see over the line. Missed several open receivers down field and across the middle. Duck and run...Howard looked good.

Jose is not the long-term answer at QB. Jensen will be when healthy; but for now Jose is our man. He definitely cannot see open receivers because of his lack of size. He still makes poor decisions and takes unnecessary risks at times with his improvising.

The defense did play up to their potential today.

The offense needs to get better to win this next week. The Jacks are going to come in the FFD and try and smack us around......Bison better be ready.

Scooter1
11-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Grothmann should never have gone to the ground on that play. It wasn't the greatest throw, but that was definitely a catch if he stays up.
It seems like Mohler is handcuffed by the play calling. We came out spreading the defense out, moved the ball pretty decent. We took TWO shots deep in like 3 plays. Both were WIDE open. Holloway obviously dropped his, and Howard isn't as fast as Holloway. They NEVER went back to it. Did anyone noticed how the safeties were playing the whole game???? Nothing but DOWN HILL. They weren't looking for anything over the top...you gotta go back to it, on a different down than 3rd and 8.

If you DVR'd this game it is 33 minutes in. You will find that Grothman actually made a hell of an effort just to come within 6 inches of this ball. It was behind him and high. Oh well, you can't hit them all. Please watch it again.

BisonNolesFan77
11-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Defense forcing the turnovers and the special teams making SIU drive a long field was the difference in this game. Look at the differences in punt and kickoff nets...

WYOBISONMAN
Jose is not an outstanding QB, but he isn't awful either. Makes some mistakes, some jugement issues....but he has helped keep us in the fight for a playoff spot. He surely is an improvement over what we saw with Mertens.

BisonNolesFan77
If you DVR'd this game it is 33 minutes in. You will find that Grothman actually made a hell of an effort just to come within 6 inches of this ball. It was behind him and high. Oh well, you can't hit them all. Please watch it again.

Agree...Grothman made a hell of an effort, it was a garbage pass from Jose.

devin45k
11-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Jose is not the long-term answer at QB. Jensen will be when healthy; but for now Jose is our man. He definitely cannot see open receivers because of his lack of size. He still makes poor decisions and takes unnecessary risks at times with his improvising.

The offense needs to get better to win this next week. The Jacks are going to come in the FFD and try and smack us around......Bison better be ready.

I think we should know that by now about the QB situation. Except there is a small group that still thinks he can do something. I do not get it at all. I have seen absolutely no improvement with him. When he is in, they play to the skill level of the opponent and not to the skill level the Bison have.

He does give us more exposure though. When I went to the Bay area right after the Kansas win. I couldnt believe how many people knew the Bison because he was the QB.

BisonNeil
11-07-2010, 01:50 AM
The Good

Another W

The Bison defense bending but not breaking

The TO margin +4

Voit

The Bad

The offensive line- their pads are too high, they don't sustain blocks, and they are piss poor in picking up blitzes and in pass protection in general, a serious disappointment and the primary reason this offense stinks

WR dropsies has spread to Holloway, not a good thing

The Seriously Ugly

Mohler's ball security-the first game he doesn't throw an interception or fumble will be the first game the Bison put it all together

MVFC referees

The Disappointment

Veldman is turning into a bust, at the very least, a no show

BisoninNWMN
11-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Jose is not an outstanding QB, but he isn't awful either. Makes some mistakes, some jugement issues....but he has helped keep us in the fight for a playoff spot. He surely is an improvement over what we saw with Mertens.

Ya, true but the Bison should be 7-2 if it wasn't for his 2 fumbles in the red zone at Ill State. But it is what it is.

Bison are 6-3 and they control their own playoff chances. Although, the MV commish pointed out that 7-4 might still be enough to get in. But make it easy for the selection commitee by going 8-3....:nod: :nod: :nod:

NDSUstudent
11-07-2010, 01:56 AM
You could also say Jose won us the YSU game. It goes both ways, really Jose is as good as his O-line. When the line struggles and he is pressured it can get sketchy but when they do their job he is effective.

He won't be the star player most nights but he can manage the game effectively within the west coast.

BisoninNWMN
11-07-2010, 01:57 AM
The Good

Another W

The Bison defense bending but not breaking

The TO margin +4

Voit

The Bad

The offensive line- their pads are too high, they don't sustain blocks, and they are piss poor in picking up blitzes and in pass protection in general, a serious disappointment and the primary reason this offense stinks

WR dropsies has spread to Holloway, not a good thing

The Seriously Ugly

Mohler's ball security-the first game he doesn't throw an interception or fumble will be the first game the Bison put it all together

MVFC referees
The Disappointment

Veldman is turning into a bust, at the very least, a no show

That no-call on that false start with the ref right behind the receiver is the biggest joke of all. I have not been very impressed with any game called by MV refs.

Veldman is a poor blocker and ave receiver at best. If it is not his groin anymore than other TEs are just better......??

X-Factor
11-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Help wanted: QB

The play calling is the way that it is because Vigen has to keep the training wheels on for Mohler! His first drop back pass is a perfect example.

Defense was simply outstanding today, but any playoff team is going to be licking their chops when they see how limited we are offensively, provided we can win these next two!

BisoninNWMN
11-07-2010, 01:00 AM
You could also say Jose won us the YSU game. It goes both ways, really Jose is as good as his O-line. When the line struggles and he is pressured it can get sketchy but when they do their job he is effective.

He won't be the star player most nights but he can manage the game effectively within the west coast.

Ya, Jose can be effective if he plays within his abilities. His size is his biggest fault. There were open receivers that he clearly did not see. Ya, he can manage the west-coast but is he the QB for the future??

He is the QB now so hopefully he keeps getting better.

99Bison
11-07-2010, 01:04 AM
What we learned new today...
1. SIU is extremely aweful this year.
2. Play calling has actually been improving a bit over the course of the year.

What was reinforced...
1. Defense can play well.
2. Mohler is barely servicable. Honestly they should look at perez next week if Mohler plays another quarter like he usually does.

sambini
11-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Congrats on the win.. We need to get better to win back the MARKER++

NDSUstudent
11-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Ya, Jose can be effective if he plays within his abilities. His size is his biggest fault. There were open receivers that he clearly did not see. Ya, he can manage the west-coast but is he the QB for the future??

He is the QB now so hopefully he keeps getting better.

Is he the QB of the future. I don't know, he has to get better.

But really our receiver dropped an easy big play, he hauls that in and Jose looks a bit better. Jose did have a few bad throws. That said I really don't think Vigen or Bohl seemed that interested in doing much throwing the football today.

It was the Kansas game all over again.

WYOBISONMAN
11-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Congrats on the win.. We need to get better to win back the MARKER++

Damn straight Sambini! We need to OWN that trophy!

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-07-2010, 01:10 AM
our defense was OUTSTANDING:D:nod:

NDSU1980
11-07-2010, 01:13 AM

Jose has done just fine this year. In regards to Jensen, how can someone be anointed the next savior when he's only played three games, and one was against a cup cake and one was a loss?

Seriously, we are winning with Jose and that's what counts. There are lots of other factors that go into incomplete downs besides how tall the QB is, such as dropped passes, poor blocking, wrong routes run, etc. OK, rant over. Sorry.

bisonfan11
11-07-2010, 01:17 AM

What was reinforced...
2. Mohler is barely servicable. Honestly they should look at perez next week if Mohler plays another quarter like he usually does.

I didn't want to come to that conclusion, but over all Mohler's play is heading further and further south. Really the only game where I was like "wow look at Mohler" was when he came in relief of Brock Jensen in the YSU game. Mohler played with more authority and looked poised, but ever since then he has gotten worse, not better at this decision making. I personally don't buy that Mohler at 6' is too short as a QB, if Steve Walker could do it with his limited 6' stature so could Mohler. The real problem is that Mohler is waaayyy to indecisive. I mean there were some 3rd down plays where it seemed to take an infinity of time for Mohler to make a decision to either run or pass the football. And every time he ran he was always SHORT of the first down. Yes, we need some serious help at wide receiver (even Holloway is forgetting how to catch the football), but Mohler needs to man up and play the QB position better. If he can't then maybe we have to see if Dante Perez can do it. I have a ton of doubts about Perez (considering that he is 5'9" and had a HORRIBLE Spring Game), but we need a spark plug on offense at the QB position.

BisoninNWMN
11-07-2010, 01:21 AM
Jose has done just fine this year. In regards to Jensen, ow can someone be anointed the next savior when he's only played three games, and one was against a cup cake and one was a loss?

Seriously, we are winning with Jose and that's what counts. There are lots of other factors that go into incomplete downs besides how tall the QB is, such as dropped passes, poor blocking, wrong routes run, etc. OK, rant over. Sorry.

Just fine??

You think Jose is going to beat out Brock next year when Brock is healthy??

NO WAY!!

Brock has that "it" factor about him. His arm is stronger, he is bigger-faster-stronger and makes better decisions.

We can have this debate during spring-ball but for now Jose is the QB. I just hope he gets better for the Jacks.

Hola
11-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Agree with the observation of BisoninNWMN. Have to play with the QB you have not the one you would like to have and hopefully that is good enough over the next couple of games. The playbook definitely seems to open up with Brock vs Jose, and the physical attributes as well as the intangibles seem to favor Brock. Jose has a chance over the next couple of games to make a statement one way or the other. Right now, it appears that the the Bison are playing not to lose, as in manage the game and let special teams and the defense make the difference.

56BISON73
11-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Jose needs to PROTECT the FREAKING ball for christ sakes.

56BISON73
11-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Jose has done just fine this year. In regards to Jensen, how can someone be anointed the next savior when he's only played three games, and one was against a cup cake and one was a loss?

Lets not forget fumblitist. Hom many times has he put the ball on the ground, Not to mention drive killing crucial situations.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-07-2010, 01:43 AM
What more can you ask out of Jose? He threw a touchdown pass, he didn't throw any interceptions, he coughed a couple up but we still recovered them, lay off of him a little, he's our quarterback and that's how it is, i think the coaching staff knows what they're doing by putting Jose in over Dante, i know you guys are giving your matter of opinion here but im tellin you, don't be giving Jose all this because he's just a sophomore, this is a young team and he's still learning, so give him a break and just let him get used to the system, we're still winning with him aren't we?? Yes we are.

duluthbison
Lets not forget fumblitist. Hom many times has he put the ball on the ground, Not to mention drive killing crucial situations.

From what I could make out from the live feed, Jose did engineer some great drives! Yes he did make some mistakes but it isn't completely his fault.

NDSUstudent
11-07-2010, 01:48 AM
If we had good receivers I'd get the QB criticism but we don't, hell if we had a great line I'd get the criticism. It is what it is, the offense needs to pick up their play as a unit.

56BISON73
11-07-2010, 01:49 AM
What more can you ask out of Jose? He threw a touchdown pass, he didn't throw any interceptions, he coughed a couple up but we still recovered them, lay off of him a little, he's our quarterback and that's how it is, i think the coaching staff knows what they're doing by putting Jose in over Dante, i know you guys are giving your matter of opinion here but im tellin you, don't be giving Jose all this because he's just a sophomore, this is a young team and he's still learning, so give him a break and just let him get used to the system, we're still winning with him aren't we?? Yes we are.

Being a soph has NOTHING to do with it. Get used to the system? You got to be kidding me. How long has he been here. Geez.
Im not saying to put Dante in. Iam saying Jose is making crucial mistakes that he shouldnt be making. Period.

ps he also missed a wide open man for 7. That isnt the first time either.

MN_BISON
11-07-2010, 01:52 AM
I don't think Jose sees the field as well he could, maybe it's because of his size and it could be because he gets happy feet and bolts out of the pocket too soon. Yes, it's not all his fault, sometimes the protection isn't there but there are other times when it looks like he could step up. I don't think it was just by chance that we stretched the field more when Brock was in there. Whatever the case, it's his job now and I hope the Bison can just find a better flow because it's not there right now.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Well i dont think they are putting in Jose because he is worse then Dante, Jose is all we got. I'm a Jose fan but I know that Brock is better than him, the coaches just have to talk to him about not scrambling out of the pocket, but he can't just keep taking sacks like that, i mean he's 5'9" 170 pounds, he's gonna get hurt easily, I can understand him wanted to get out of the pocket once things get too crouded.

NDSUstudent
11-07-2010, 01:56 AM
I'm really to the point where I think Bohl needs to find assistant this off season that can groom QBs. I'm not saying get rid of Vigen but find a QB coach that can help out a bit. Something just isn't right there, it seems like our QBs never improve.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-07-2010, 01:57 AM
I'm really to the point where I think Bohl needs to find assistant this off season that can groom QBs. I'm not saying get rid of Vigen but find a QB coach that can help out a bit. Something just isn't right there, it seems like our QBs never improve.

I'm agreeing with you on that!!

jackrabbit1979
11-07-2010, 01:59 AM

What happened?

NDSUstudent
11-07-2010, 02:02 AM
What happened?

Nothing happened.

In fact Patty V actually said a 7-4 NDSU team would make the playoffs.

NDSU_grad
11-07-2010, 02:07 AM
What happened?

I'm pretty sure Leevon Perry will be suspended for the Jacks game for throwing a punch. Haven't seen the replay yet but I don't think they'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bisonwinagn
11-07-2010, 02:12 AM
I don't think Jose sees the field as well he could, maybe it's because of his size and it could be because he gets happy feet and bolts out of the pocket too soon. Yes, it's not all his fault, sometimes the protection isn't there but there are other times when it looks like he could step up. I don't think it was just by chance that we stretched the field more when Brock was in there. Whatever the case, it's his job now and I hope the Bison can just find a better flow because it's not there right now.

I don't think his Size really matters!!! :blush:

Scooter1
11-07-2010, 02:14 AM
It wasn't much of a punch and there was another Bison between the two.

Leevon was wrong, but the SIU guy was the instigator on this one.

Maybe she'll do nothing.

BTW our completely shitty defense is now 13th in the nation in scoring defense..in spite of the stagnant offensive production this year.

NDSUstudent
11-07-2010, 02:16 AM
I completely missed it, was that what those offsetting personal foul penalties were all about?

Scooter1
11-07-2010, 02:18 AM
YEP...that was it.

bisoneer
11-07-2010, 02:19 AM
From what I heard on the radio....it was an ugly win. Defense gave up too many yards (close to 300 I think). But hey, It's a win and it gets us that much closer to the playoffs!:nod:

No actually our D kept us in the lead as the offense was seemingly satisfied to play with a 7 to 10 pt. lead so there were a lot of punts and it was a battle of field position plus our D created 4 turnovers and a blocked punt and really kept them off the scoreboard... A great game by the D really even tho we lost the yardage stats as the Dogs offense was averaging 31 pts. per game and you could see the quickness and speed by some of their backs.

DjKyRo
11-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Only Bisonville could find disappointment from a win in a game a lot of people "felt sick" about. :(

Defense flat out dominated, don't let the numbers fool you. Played with a ton of emotion and fire and forced three turnovers. Great work by the defense, particularly Gratzek and Gatlin. Just awesome.

Jose managed the game adequately and if NDSU is winning games I can't complain. Those fumbles were brutal and thank god Cornick(?) fell on it in the first. Tough to see the offense choking off drives at the end and we could really have run this one up.

Losing Lund sure hurts, it's going to be interesting to see how Jesse Hinz steps up.

In the end, Bison won. We're a third of the way there in what I thought would be the toughest of upcoming games. Let's get STOKED for the SDSU game!

Hola
11-07-2010, 02:24 AM
Absolutely, a win is a win.

silkamilkamonico
11-07-2010, 02:31 AM
I completely missed it, was that what those offsetting personal foul penalties were all about?

Leevon Perry did throw a punch. And if he isn't suspended by the conference commissioner, he should be suspended by Bohl. That was absolutely terrible.

Yellow
11-07-2010, 02:36 AM
I am surprised with all the negativity on this board following a WIN against SIU. We are 6-3. At the beggining of the year we would be loving 6-3. Now lets go get the next one

DjKyRo
11-07-2010, 02:38 AM
I am surprised with all the negativity on this board following a WIN against SIU. We are 6-3. At the beggining of the year we would be loving 6-3. Now lets go get the next one

This. The team came out and controlled a game for four quarters. Reason to be stoked. :nod:

OrygunBison
11-07-2010, 02:52 AM
Reading this thread, you'd think we lost by 30.

That ball dropped by Holloway was as pretty of a ball thrown as the one that Jensen threw that caused you to anoint him as the next coming. Watching the game and listening to Scotty and Phil (and whoever that other dork is) seems like an entirely different game than what you guys all write about. There were kudos given to Vigen for creativity, lots to the defense and some strong praise for Jose, although Phil wants him to run all of the time rather than dropping back.

Bison locked a winning season today.

Bison take back the marker next week and potentially secure a playoff spot.

Considering where we came from, I cannot understand how you cannot be stoked for Bison Football right now!!!

Kermit
11-07-2010, 03:04 AM

What was reinforced...

I agree with all of this...except the improving play calling bit. QB, the receiving corps, and place kicking are weaknesses. Defense and punting game are strengths. This is not a playoff team, yet.

Dazz
11-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Anyone else notice that there was what looked like an SIU coach standing past the box all game. He had a headset, clipboard and SIU gear. I was sitting 4 rows up in section 21 and this dude was there all game. I don't know what was going on with that.

99Bison
11-07-2010, 03:12 AM
I agree with all of this...except the improving play calling bit. QB, the receiving corps, and place kicking are weaknesses. Defense and punting game are strengths. This is not a playoff team, yet.

I believe we have 2 capable wr this year, beyond that, nada. Imo the bit better play calling is masked by mohler anti ability.

stevdock
11-07-2010, 03:45 AM
There were 4 plays that really stood out to me today and they were all hustle/effort plays.

#1 Obviously punt block, not only to block it but to get it into the end zone, because I don't know if we score if that doesn't get into the end zone. But why try and run another punt block again the next time??

#2 Mohler's first fumble covered up by our lineman, didn't catch who but that was a LONG ways behind the line. Great hustle.

#3 Mohler's second fumble. For Hollaway to even have a chance to knock that out of bounds is insane. He was at least 20 yards away from the ball when it came out.

#4 The Marcus Williams pick/jump ball fight for the rebound. He basically said that's my ball and you are not taking it away from me.

There were lots of other big effort plays both offensively and defensively today that made the difference. It was just frustrating for most of the game to know that we should have had at least 14 more points, but instead be up by no more than 10 and know that we were one play away from being in a TIGHT game.

sambini
11-07-2010, 03:48 AM
Just keep winning Bison++++ Congrats its BUNNY WEEK++

onbison09
11-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Leevon Perry did throw a punch. And if he isn't suspended by the conference commissioner, he should be suspended by Bohl. That was absolutely terrible.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DjKyRo
11-07-2010, 05:57 AM
It's unfortuante that plays needed to be made on those two fumbles but Cornick (who fell onto the first) and Holloway deserve some big ups. Like you said, hustle plays and they deserve some credit.

I've never been more confident in our defense. The senior leaders are back and it made a world of difference. Gratzek and Boyer were absolute animals on the d-line, Anderson delivered a bone-crushing hit or two, Preston Evans seemed to live in the backfield. Corners had great coverage most of the time (Marcus got beat a few times and fell once), that DPI call was bull-honky.

All in all the defense is something we can lean on that can get us to the postseason. The offense MUST become more consistent, though they did show they could move the ball against the SIU D....it's just pulling the trigger and pounding it into the endzone that's the problem. It's both awesome and frustrating to know the score today could've been 40-6.

BraxtonT
11-07-2010, 06:00 AM
It was 2000 so I'm guessing Lennon.

Nope, it was 1997 in Grand Forks. The 2000 game was in Fargo. 1997 Sioux coach? I think it was TMWTFN, but not sure about that.

EightyfourBison
11-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Facts? Our offense did nothing, you used their stats to make the defense look bad. The defense shut them down and their play and our special teams puts us in solid field position all game.

I don't care about time of possesion, yards gained, 3rd down, etc when we won the field position battle all day long.

Commented to my buddy about field position during the game. It was key. Special teams and defense did great.

BraxtonT
11-07-2010, 06:27 AM
QB situation: If Dante is never going to play, why are they wasting a full scholarship on him. At the very least, they should not have redshirted him last year, because that forces them to burn that FULL SCHOLARSHIP next year, the year we will have three other guys! AAGGHH!!

Running backs: DJ's been good this year, but the best running back play was in Youngstown when Voigt and Sigers were getting a decent number of carries. Let's see, prepare for one guy (DJ) who gets 20+ carries or prepare for three guys (DJ w/ 12-15, Voigt and Sigers w/ 5-7 each)? If I'm the D Coordinator on the other team, I'd love to prepare against just one guy. DJ will be more effective if the other two guys get a few more carries in the game. The talent is there, coaches, use it.

Wide Receivers: How about the catch Justin Howard made right after Holloway's drop! Bad pass, but he hauled it in and got a first down. Great catch. BTW, Holloway needs to have a couple long ones thrown to him every game. There are times when he receives one-on-one coverage. Allow Jose and Warren to 'go for it' when they see it. WH needs to get back into the groove he had with Jensen for this team to have a chance to score points.

SIU punter: Saluki MVP for the day

Leevon Perry: Great plays on the fumble recoveries after his meltdown. Hopefully, nothing comes of the 'punch?', but you never know how Patty V. sees things.

Defense: This team will go only as far as they are able to carry them. Wonderful job today. Keep doing what you've been doing and PRAY that the offense will find a way to score points for you. Amazing how the run defense has tightened up since #70 got back in there. Way to go, Matt!

Vaaler Scoreboard: Seriously, Princeton and Penn? Who cares!! Appalachian State, the #1 team in the country, loses at Georgia Southern, but nobody knows until after the game. Would it kill them to post the UND score? Christ, they lost, so that would have gotten a few chuckles out of the stands when that got shown.

Text Poll: Absolutely the most stupid part of the gameday presentation. Nothing against Joe Mays, Tyler Roehl, etc..., but it is a slap in the face of all the greats that played before the year 2006.

The win: Another step toward being on the actual playoff bracket, not just the probable one.

Scoring first: Finally!!!!!!! Let's hope it'll be two games in a row next week.

ndsubison1
11-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Defense/Special Teams was great today. If you complain about either of those two then you are blind. SIU played very weird though. They rarely tried to go deep and played pretty conservative. However, we were more physical then them, we shut down their run game fairly well and dominated them at the line of scrimmage. We forced 4-5 turnovers. Love to see that. Gatlin's pick and the blocked punt won the game for us. Our offense was dreadful at times. We couldnt do anything offensively for most of the 2nd half. Thank god for our D. The TD pass to Landon Smith was very nice. Good play call. Jose's fumble almost brough SIU right back into the game. Seemed like SIU stacked the box the 2nd half and forced Jose to make plays. Jose has got to take care of the ball. If nothing is there just take a sack at times. I see our defense getting better. We stuck a lot of guys. Colton Heagle made some plays. Leevon Perry and Gratzek were pushing back their guards. Our ends were getting into the backfield. We were sticking ppl. If our offense could help out our defense we would be very good.

BisoninNWMN
11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Another thing that was very frustrating was our failed 4th down attempt. All we needed was 1/2 a football length and we run our usual fullback lead which takes 2-3 seconds to complete giving the defense plenty of time to get penetration.

Jose could have gotten 3 yds on a QB sneak......middle LBer was 3 yds off the ball.....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

As mentioned earlier by someone, this game could have been a huge blow-out for us.......GOOD teams do not leave points on the field. But a win is a win and we control our own destiny.

Kick the Jacks a**es!!!

GO BISON

Mr. Burgundy
11-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Some random thoughts.

Fargo North Principle Andy Dahlen dressed like an assistant coach for SIU and wearing their colors. On the sideline. Lets recap: His son play at UND, he played at UND. His twin daughters had full ride scholarships to NDSU and his son in law is Steve Walker. So, he is now a fan of SIU? I have a problem with that. If he is tight with Lennon....so be it, but don't go against the school that paid for 2 (3 if you include Steve) full ride educations. I would think he would be smart enough to remain pretty neutral on that topic.

Video boards. Can we please.....PLEASE work on the replay situation. Especially if it is controversial. It can fire up the crowd. The video boards are doing the same thing they have done for 10 years. Do we have a marketing department? Can they do anything to get the crowd going? How about showing stats....How about them not showing important scores for games. Just so boring.

Play calling was brutal on 3rd and 4th down. Slow developing plays that should have been quick hitters. Everyone in the building knows what is coming. How about a bootleg? How about pounding Voit when we need a tough yard. I almost feel bad for DJ, dude is thrown into the center repeatedly, kid runs hard. Then, they get Voit in space and send Sigers up the gut. Not sure I follow. Get WH the ball deep. Yes, he dropped it, but he won't do that again. How many times have we thrown it deep to him? What is the completion percentage? It has to be very high.

Defense and special teams were terrific. Keep that up. Amazing how young our defense is and how well they are playing. Great job. The article on Lemon in the paper shows what type of a person/leader he is to take a back seat to a freshman and help him along. Very impressive young man.

Gratzek....Thank you!

NDSU1980
11-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Only Bisonville could find disappointment from a win in a game a lot of people "felt sick" about. :(

Defense flat out dominated, don't let the numbers fool you. Played with a ton of emotion and fire and forced three turnovers. Great work by the defense, particularly Gratzek and Gatlin. Just awesome.

Jose managed the game adequately and if NDSU is winning games I can't complain. Those fumbles were brutal and thank god Cornick(?) fell on it in the first. Tough to see the offense choking off drives at the end and we could really have run this one up.

Losing Lund sure hurts, it's going to be interesting to see how Jesse Hinz steps up.

In the end, Bison won. We're a third of the way there in what I thought would be the toughest of upcoming games. Let's get STOKED for the SDSU game!

You are forgetting that had Jensen been playing we would have won by 50 points more. It's too bad that kid was out walking on water yesterday and wasn't available for playing. I wonder if reality will live up to the myth if and when he actually plays again.

BisoninNWMN
11-07-2010, 12:34 PM
You are forgetting that had Jensen been playing we would have won by 50 points more. It's too bad that kid was out walking on water yesterday and wasn't available for playing. I wonder if reality will live up to the myth if and when he actually plays again.

When he does win the QB job back in spring ball, you'll be there complaining that Jose got "railroaded".

Whatever.....

BisoninNWMN
11-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Burgundy, you are right about getting that tough yard.......Why not put Voigt in, he is 220 and would be a better short yard back. A QB sneak would have gotten us the 1st down yesterday.....:banghead:

DJ has been playing good FB for us. The Jacks are going to stack the box against us and our passing game needs to move the ball. If we cannot pass consistently...we lose next saturday.

GO BISON

IzzyFlexion
11-07-2010, 12:45 PM
QB situation: If Dante is never going to play, why are they wasting a full scholarship on him. At the very least, they should not have redshirted him last year, because that forces them to burn that FULL SCHOLARSHIP next year, the year we will have three other guys! AAGGHH!!

Gotta be 3 deep though. The Bison are one cheap shot away from Dante being needed.

BisonCardinal
11-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Defense came to play for all four quarters.

Offense still anemic.

Voitlander reminds me of Kyle Steffes.

Jose is our quarterback, but I still worry alot when he gets under pressure.

Why wasn't Dante put in on the last series? I don't trust Bohl's qb judgment. Just would like to see what he can do, even if it is for just one or two series.

Why can't we get a big (6'+) Big Ten or Big 12 qb transfer, like some of these other teams?

Did Cyrus Lemon play at all yesterday?

semobison
11-07-2010, 01:12 PM
37 running plays 16 passing is not a balanced offense. 3rd and 1, everybody, in the fargodome, including Bubba Schweigert knows what the Bison are going to run....We did go play action on first down one time and had a 20 yard completion to Smith...Whatever happened to keeping the other teams D off balance??....And dont you knuckleheads try to blame this on Jose!!..Not many qbs are very successful when they only throw on 3rd and long!!

Grizzled
11-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Some random thoughts.

Defense and special teams were terrific. Keep that up. Amazing how young our defense is and how well they are playing. Great job. The article on Lemon in the paper shows what type of a person/leader he is to take a back seat to a freshman and help him along. Very impressive young man.

Gratzek....Thank you!

Good points Burgandy. I have thought that all year. I know in the few times I've talked to any of the coaches they rave how important this years senior class has been this year. I know some on this board like to point out lack of talent (which I would argue) but they are really a key in bringing the young talent on this team and older talent together and have provided the leadership that was sorely lacking in years past.

Gratzek, the guy is twice as good as any d-linemen we have. We'd have one more win if he was healthy all year.

Lund broke a bone in his leg yesterday. That will be a huge loss for us going forward. Thanks for the great year Joe and best of luck in your recovery.

No_Skill
11-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Nothing happened.

In fact Patty V actually said a 7-4 NDSU team would make the playoffs.

I'm glad the decision is up to her.

No_Skill
11-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Nope, it was 1997 in Grand Forks. The 2000 game was in Fargo. 1997 Sioux coach? I think it was TMWTFN, but not sure about that.

Yes, and so began the "Bob's got Balls" chant.

Grizzled
11-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Not sure which one he is referring to. In 2000 it was a little pooch kick that took a perfect bounce straight up in the air and was recovered. That was a huge play and that was the only time the Bison have ever beat the Sioux in the FFD.

lakesbison
11-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Burgandy, you like Andy dahlen doing an und commercial from his freakin desk at Fargo north???

Are u serious????

bisonmike2
11-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Yes, and so began the "Bob's got Balls" chant.

That was excellent. My first Bison/Sue game. I thought they'd all be that fun.:mad:

17>1
11-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Haven't read the 11 previous pages so I may say things that have already been said and hashed over, but here goes. I think our special teams coach needs to get slapped up side the head. I understand there are certain things that a coach can't physically control but I really think alot of mistakes by a unit comes down to bad coaching. Opening kickoff, offsides penalty by Lemon. Salukis go 3 and out and have to punt, we call timeout because we have 12 men on the field. Salukis go 3 and out a short time later, and we block the punt and take it to the house, but with only 10 guys on the field. Trust me, I counted twice and looked over at the ST coach and he was tugging on some kids jersey to run out there and the kid didn't budge. I thought the D was spectacular today. SIU was going to put up some yards, but we didn't allow a TD. Pressure on the QB which I haven't seen in a while was the difference. I think Mohler did enough for us to win the game. Holloway dropped a TD pass that was a beauty of a throw. Kid needs to learn to check down to the next receiver or just take a sack, and not try to do too much. That game could have been way different if SIU recovers that fumble right away. What in the world is Vigen or Bohl thinking on a 3rd and 5, late in the game, when all we're doing is trying to run the clock out and set up for a FG? They call a pass play? Which almost gets picked. Why not run a play to the left, right into the middle of the hash marks, to set up a straight on chip shot FG for Jastrom? Instead, the clock stops, and Jastrom misses right from a spot on the far right of the hashes. Overall though, I had a blast at this game. Looking very forward to the Marker game Saturday.

Bisonfan1
11-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Some of the units are figuiring out how to play as a TEAM, it showed, again if the majority figuires this out, look out, it will be very obvious to every one when this happens.

OK, here we go again, it was pretty obvious when the game was in hand, why in the world was Jose still in, same crap, if he goes down the back up has no reps at all, get Dante some reps to get the jitters out of the way before he MAY have to come in for real. Why were they running DJ into the line also ?? WTF trying to get our starter hurt when the game was over ?? Didnt notice who else was still in, but those 2 stuck out. Voit needs more carries.

Wow biggest game in a long time coming up next week, there is NO reason nor excuse for dropping this next game, Coaches need to really step up and figuire some things out and effictively communicate and implement this week.
Face it, the bunny turds are a good team, The BISON ARE A BETTER TEAM, I dont want to see the Bison being outcoached by the bunny turds ever again. Plus I dont care to witness the scene that SDBison will put on if the UNTHINKABLE happens next week. NO EXCUSES is my battle cry this week, JUST WIN BABY !!!

BraxtonT
11-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Gotta be 3 deep though. The Bison are one cheap shot away from Dante being needed.

You're right, but we will be FOUR deep next year---> Jensen, Thorton, Mohler, and Perez. There will also be a redshirt from Arizona, so the 2012 year will also have four available.

I just think that the scholarships on Perez and Troy Jackson a few years ago were absolutely wasted. Take that one full scholarship and split it up for a couple of ND/ Minnesota offensive lineman, God knows that unit needs the depth. There is no way we are going to get kids outside of ND/ Minn to come here consistently without a full ride, so don't waste the ones you do have on guys who are never going to play.

By the way, I get it that Dante is the backup right now, but next year......

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH, redshirt a JUCO transfer quarterback??!! Brilliant!!!

onbison09
11-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Why not let Vandal try that 4th and 1 play? I don't think we're using him enough. Although it might be because of his injury.

IzzyFlexion
11-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Why not let Vandal try that 4th and 1 play? I don't think we're using him enough. Although it might be because of his injury.

Same damn thing that happened to Jangula. NFL caliber fullbacks that are called upon to sacrifice their bodies to block (which is obviously crucial for that position), but terribly under-utilized in terms of ball touches.

NDSU1980
11-07-2010, 04:06 PM
When he does win the QB job back in spring ball, you'll be there complaining that Jose got "railroaded".

Whatever.....

After Mertens I became very jaded about these so called QB's who were going to be the answer to all our problems before they ever proved anything. I go by what has happened, not by what some of you hope will happen.

Jose in two years has become a proven entity. Enjoy the wins and remember how last year was until Jose got to play.

56BISON73
11-07-2010, 04:19 PM

I agree!!!!

westnodak93bison
11-07-2010, 04:26 PM

I agree. We left at least 2 touch downs on the field imho. Warren makes that catch 8 out of 10 times and should have been six. Then there is Mr. Mohler's ball security issues.....good grief.

Bisonwinagn
11-07-2010, 05:02 PM

I think it'a a combination of bad coaching, bad play calling, and inconsistent QB play. All these things are limiting an offense that should be much more explosive than they have been. The team is way to talented to be struggling on offense and I think the QB is only part of it.

ndsubison1
11-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Some random thoughts.

Fargo North Principle Andy Dahlen dressed like an assistant coach for SIU and wearing their colors. On the sideline. Lets recap: His son play at UND, he played at UND. His twin daughters had full ride scholarships to NDSU and his son in law is Steve Walker. So, he is now a fan of SIU? I have a problem with that. If he is tight with Lennon....so be it, but don't go against the school that paid for 2 (3 if you include Steve) full ride educations. I would think he would be smart enough to remain pretty neutral on that topic.

Video boards. Can we please.....PLEASE work on the replay situation. Especially if it is controversial. It can fire up the crowd. The video boards are doing the same thing they have done for 10 years. Do we have a marketing department? Can they do anything to get the crowd going? How about showing stats....How about them not showing important scores for games. Just so boring.

Play calling was brutal on 3rd and 4th down. Slow developing plays that should have been quick hitters. Everyone in the building knows what is coming. How about a bootleg? How about pounding Voit when we need a tough yard. I almost feel bad for DJ, dude is thrown into the center repeatedly, kid runs hard. Then, they get Voit in space and send Sigers up the gut. Not sure I follow. Get WH the ball deep. Yes, he dropped it, but he won't do that again. How many times have we thrown it deep to him? What is the completion percentage? It has to be very high.

Gratzek....Thank you!

Agreed with the play calling. Especially in the 2nd half. I didnt see many bootlegs. Get Jose out to the outside and throwing on the run. Seems like he is better when he's throwing on rollouts and play action. Just seemed so strange. SIU did a good job for most of the 2nd half stacking the box and pressuring Jose. I think we could have blown that game out easily, just sucks to see that we didnt

westnodak93bison
11-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm sure no team will realize that when Lang enters the game on a short yardage situation he gets the ball up the gut each and every time. :confused:

bisonatrix
11-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Put 'em here.

2 thoughts.

-Thank god the defense and special teams got their act together this season. We'd be a 2-3 win team again if they hadn't. Gameballs to all.

-Jose Mohler is not the QB of the future for Bison football. I dont care if we get in the playoffs this year, long term he can't be the starter if we're going to become more than a 1-and-done playoff team. We can be better offensively going forward with either Jensen or Thorton if he's ready.

bisonfan11
11-07-2010, 07:52 PM

What is Steve Walker up to these days? I'd think he'd be one heck of a QB coach if not an offensive coordinator. Just saying, there was a lot of games in which Walker had all the play calling freedom in the work, so it is obvious Walker knew his stuff. Perhaps Walker can pass his knowledge on to future Bison QB's.

ndsubison1
11-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I liked when we were getting the play call audibile from the sidelines early in the game. We should do that more often.

onbison09
11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
I liked when we were getting the play call audibile from the sidelines early in the game. We should do that more often.
Why did we stop?

ndsubison1
11-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Why did we stop?

Beats me... It seemed to be effective at the time. It reminded me of Oregon how they all look to the sideline for the call haha

Gully
11-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Beats me... It seemed to be effective at the time. It reminded me of Oregon how they all look to the sideline for the call haha

I agree...we finally had some tempo and it seemed like we did well with that. I hope they do that more.

Hopeful-Bison-Baller
11-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Didnt read the thread but...

This game was my first ever NDSU football game @ NDSU. I was pissed that the crowd was small. But even though it was a small crowd, it did get pretty dang loud in there at times.

I LOVE the band. It made the game that much more fun for me. The only thing I didnt like was after scoring/kickoffs, when the students do that dance thing. I refuse to ever do that. Though I hate that, I gotta give respect for it. I will never do it, but it is fun to watch.

I wish I came up for the SDSU/NDSU next week instead of this SIU game (crowd purposes), but I had to witness the beating of my old school against my new school, and I had a good time. I think I will have the greatest time next year watching the games.

BadlandsBison
11-07-2010, 08:26 PM

This game was my first ever NDSU football game @ NDSU. I was pissed that the crowd was small. But even though it was a small crowd, it did get pretty dang loud in there at times.

I LOVE the band. It made the game that much more fun for me. The only thing I didnt like was after scoring/kickoffs, when the students do that dance thing. I refuse to ever do that. Though I hate that, I gotta give respect for it. I will never do it, but it is fun to watch.

I wish I came up for the SDSU/NDSU next week instead of this SIU game (crowd purposes), but I had to witness the beating of my old school against my new school, and I had a good time. I think I will have the greatest time next year watching the games.

Sorry everything was so disappointing. Could a recommend a different school for you?

EndZoneQB
11-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Wait, you were here and you didn't make an appearance at tailgating??

Hopeful-Bison-Baller
11-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Sorry everything was so disappointing. Could a recommend a different school for you?

Pretty sure I said I had a good time, and cant wait to go to games next year. But maybe I didnt.

Wait, you were here and you didn't make an appearance at tailgating??

Unfortunately no. Is underage drinking encouraged there? :D (I dont actually drink though)

EndZoneQB
11-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Pretty sure I said I had a good time, and cant wait to go to games next year. But maybe I didnt.

Unfortunately no. Is underage drinking encouraged there? :D (I dont actually drink though)

Haha, encouraged? No. Discouraged by anything other than a piece of rules literature? No. I get shit for looking like a kid and I've never been carded nor seen anyone else being carded. If you blend in and act like you've been there before, no one asks questions :) Besides, theres more to tailgating than drinking!

99Bison
11-07-2010, 10:31 PM
:D

It is really annoying when teams do that... even us. But hey if it works I am all for it... begrudingly.

westnodak93bison
11-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Anybody have a status on Joe Lund's injury?

Bisonguy
11-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Anybody have a status on Joe Lund's injury?

Pretty sure Bohl said broken fibia during the show today.

bisonhp330
11-07-2010, 11:09 PM
two words:

Mohler Sucks.

a few of you were jumping the Jose bandwagon after spring ball-and jumping me when i said it then and will say it now- he can't compete at this level. I hope the defense can get us to playoffs.

and Vigen needs to stop being do damn conservative- that last drive- 2 dive plays and a draw- go for the throat

westnodak93bison
11-07-2010, 11:35 PM

That sucks. Good luck to him in his recovery. I thought I saw Jesse Hinz in there. Too bad we had to lose his redshirt.

DjKyRo
11-07-2010, 11:35 PM
That sucks. Good luck to him in his recovery. I thought I saw Jesse Hinz in there. Too bad we had to lose his redshirt.

If I'm not mistaken he didn't have a redshirt to start with.

Hammersmith
11-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Wait, tibia or fibula? If it's the tibia, then he'll be on crutches and a cast for a while. If it's the fibula, then it should heal quick and not be much of a bother while it does. I got no fibulas anymore and it don't bother me none.

westnodak93bison
11-07-2010, 11:51 PM
two words:

Mohler Sucks.

a few of you were jumping the Jose bandwagon after spring ball-and jumping me when i said it then and will say it now- he can't compete at this level. I hope the defense can get us to playoffs.

and Vigen needs to stop being do damn conservative- that last drive- 2 dive plays and a draw- go for the throat

He has the skills just must make better decisions. No excuse for all the turnovers and near turnovers imho.

Bisonguy
11-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Wait, tibia or fibula? If it's the tibia, then he'll be on crutches and a cast for a while. If it's the fibula, then it should heal quick and not be much of a bother while it does. I got no fibulas anymore and it don't bother me none.

Pretty sure it was tibia and I was typing too fast before.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I see all these posts about Gratzek being the player of the game, of course he is! But you guys need to look at Coulter Boyer too! he had 2 sacks that forced fumbles in this game. This kid is a hard hitter and I love watchin this kid play.

soupcan
11-08-2010, 03:33 AM
It seems like the when the defense needs a big stop we get it done. on offense there are so many big 3rd and 1's and it seems like we always shit the bed with an obvious run that we cant block when the other team knows were running or a mind numbing penalty. Has this team improved from last year? Yes. Playoff contender? No.

DjKyRo
11-08-2010, 03:36 AM
Playoff contender? No.

Actually we're one win away from being playoff eligible. Getting there is the goal right now.

ndsubison1
11-08-2010, 03:37 AM
Boyer was named player of the week. why is nobody talking about him

TheBisonator
11-08-2010, 03:52 AM
Playoff contender? No.

This team has already proven that they are playoff contenders, simply due to their record compared to other teams in the FCS. "Championship contender" is a whole other bowl of cashews, though. They are not championship contenders by any means of the imagination, but if you don't think this team right now is not a PLAYOFF contender, it must be hard to convince you that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

DjKyRo
11-08-2010, 03:53 AM
This team has already proven that they are playoff contenders, simply due to their record compared to other teams in the FCS. "Championship contender" is a whole other bowl of cashews, though. They are not championship contenders by any means of the imagination, but if you don't think this team right now is not a PLAYOFF contender, it must be hard to convince you that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

I'd be nothing short of flabbergasted if we were championship contenders. I'm all for the idea of "anything can happen in the playoffs" but we were 3-8 last year. It's all about taking steps to improve and being on the cusp of playoff eligibility is an awfully impressive step if you ask me. The future bodes well.

TheBisonator
11-08-2010, 03:56 AM
I'd be nothing short of flabbergasted if we were championship contenders. I'm all for the idea of "anything can happen in the playoffs" but we were 3-8 last year. It's all about taking steps to improve and being on the cusp of playoff eligibility is an awfully impressive step if you ask me. The future bodes well.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I was pointing out that the notion that we are championship calibre is not based in reality. But thinking about where we were last year to where we are now is AWESOME.

BadlandsBison
11-08-2010, 04:03 AM

Truth. Our record is already an improvement over last year. If we can improve on our nagging mistakes, we can be championship contenders. We are close.

soupcan
11-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Just saying we still have alot of things to clean up before we could make any kind of run in the playoffs.

DjKyRo
11-08-2010, 04:12 AM
Just saying we still have alot of things to clean up before we could make any kind of run in the playoffs.

And if we do that, awesome. I'd be stoked. I'm just saying let's keep our success in the context of what we're still recovering from (the dreaded 3-8) and take our successes or failures in that context.

Like I've said all along, we have things to fix, but as is we're not a half-bad football team.

Kermit
11-08-2010, 04:17 AM

How 'bout that Coulter Boyer!

Seriously, Boyer has had a great year.

TransAmBison
11-08-2010, 04:19 AM
I read through these quickly and I think a lot of people just are not taking into account the situation. We played a very conservative game offensively because it was a defensive battle/low scoring game and we were ahead. Dale Lennon has always been a good coach with a good defense. No doubt he would have his boys ready to go. Our o-line was not giving Mohler a lot of time.

All in all I was happy with the game. The game was a chess match...each coach waiting for a mistake. Bohl kept it simple and let the defense handle things...which they did in amazing fashion. There were harder hits which should please CAS...who happened to find his way to sit right next to us...will have to talk to security about that one. The defense gave up 6 points. SIX POINTS!!!!! I'm pretty excited about that. The crowd was small...but we had some fun. Heck, we had old ladies wearin' teh 'stache and having a blast. I'm pumped people. We took care of business. No, we will not win a championship...and we made some foolish plays. Wow...our qb has a flair for the dramatic when it comes to fumbles...but we worked through them. Marcus Williams...stud...haven't been this pumped for a freshman since Walker and Mays.

Tomorrow I'll have to come up with my much anticipated* tailgate analysis.

*Okay, I might be the only one who anticipates it, but I really want to know what TAB thought of tailgating.

SDbison
11-08-2010, 05:40 AM
D is good. Offense is close to sucking. Again Mohler is an average QB at best, and Vigens play calling is as vanilla as ever. SDSU will have an easy time preparing for NDSU's vanilla choke offense. Can't say the offense has improved much over the course of the year. Lets audible out of the dive play when the D has 8 or 9 in the box. Mohler, you have started for over a year now....wake up! And WR's catch the F'ing ball first. That's right, if you are a wide receiver catch the damn thing or give your scholarship to someone else. Tired of the lame offense that plays not to lose. Get some fire or I am gonna come out of the stands and kick your a$$.

tony
11-08-2010, 05:47 AM
D is good. Offense is close to sucking. Again Mohler is an average QB at best, and Vigens play calling is as vanilla as ever. SDSU will have an easy time preparing for NDSU's vanilla choke offense. Can't say the offense has improved much over the course of the year. Lets audible out of the dive play when the D has 8 or 9 in the box. Mohler, you have started for over a year now....wake up! And WR's catch the F'ing ball first. That's right, if you are a wide receiver catch the damn thing or give your scholarship to someone else. Tired of the lame offense that plays not to lose. Get some fire or I am gonna come out of the stands and kick your a$$.

Glad we won or you'd be in a bad mood :)

Definitely some things to work on (example: Marcus Williams, you are going to be a stud but you cannot get dejocked by a RB when you are the contain guy.)

Face it: This game could have gone on for 40 quarters and SIU probably wouldn't have scored an offensive TD. Vanilla wins. If you are going to complain about playcalling - why not the 3rd and 1 (and then 4th & 1) where we did two deep, slow developing handoffs for absolutely nothing - I'd have liked to see a QB sneak on third down at least.

SDbison
11-08-2010, 05:57 AM
Glad we won or you'd be in a bad mood :)

Definitely some things to work on (example: Marcus Williams, you are going to be a stud but you cannot get dejocked by a RB when you are the contain guy.)

Face it: This game could have gone on for 40 quarters and SIU probably wouldn't have scored an offensive TD. Vanilla wins. If you are going to complain about playcalling - why not the 3rd and 1 (and then 4th & 1) where we did two deep, slow developing handoffs for absolutely nothing - I'd have liked to see a QB sneak on third down at least.
All part of the suck offense. If it doesn't stop sucking for SDSU no way NDSU wins. No way the playoffs are possible.

WYOBISONMAN
11-08-2010, 10:50 AM

I gotta say, from what I could see, the offense struggled a lot. We had some serious redzone issues and struggled early on to get in the endzone. The Bison had to rely on the defense to block a punt for our only TD of the first half! The offense only managed a FG!

It is great how or defense has made such incredile strides. The story with the offense, however, is not the same. Unless the offense steps up, it could be a rough outing against the Jacks. I do question Vigen's ability to get this offense moving. So far I am not very impressed. It sure would liven the broadcast up to see SD come out of the stands!;)

tony
11-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Should have qualified - vanilla wins against SIU. Vanilla won't win against SDSU.

WYOBISONMAN
11-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Should of qualified - vanilla wins against SIU. Vanilla won't win against SDSU.

I think Lennon is having some problems at SIU.......what we saw Saturday was surely a step down from other Saluki teams......I wonder if he will survive long term?

mgbison
11-08-2010, 12:49 PM
SDSU's offense sucked last year and they made the playoffs. SDSU's offense still sucks this year. Give Minnett his 30 carries for 110 yards and let the cb's and safeties sit back jump the 25 out patterns TOB will throw. If we get pressure on TOB, this game will be a blowout. Otherwise, it's gonna be a grinder.

We aren't gonna win pretty this year. So those of you that are expecting a clean error free game should just stay at home and check score updates after every quarter. A win is a win.

WYOBISONMAN
11-08-2010, 12:52 PM
SDSU's offense sucked last year and they made the playoffs. SDSU's offense still sucks this year. Give Minnett his 30 carries for 110 yards and let the cb's and safeties sit back jump the 25 out patterns TOB will throw. If we get pressure on TOB, this game will be a blowout. Otherwise, it's gonna be a grinder.

We aren't gonna win pretty this year. So those of you that are expecting a clean error free game should just stay at home and check score updates after every quarter. A win is a win.

Oh I would take an ugly win over a loss any day......but it would be nice to see the Bison put a solid whipping on a good team. This year that has not happened.

99Bison
11-08-2010, 12:59 PM
The problem is that with our offense we can't blow anyone out unless the defense or special teams scores 5 touchdowns no matter how many times the defense forces a punt.

NDSU_grad
11-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I really don't know what else Vigen is supposed to do with this offense. Granted, I don't think he's exactly Don Coryell, but I think he calls a pretty decent game. I cringe every time Mohler goes back to pass hoping he doesn't turn it over. I'm guessing Vigen does the same. When you have a defense that played like it did Saturday you call the game exactly like Vigen did.

Capn_Cat
11-08-2010, 01:22 PM
A grudging congrats from Cap'n Cat.

:mad:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dabison
11-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I really don't know what else Vigen is supposed to do with this offense. Granted, I don't think he's exactly Don Coryell, but I think he calls a pretty decent game. I cringe every time Mohler goes back to pass hoping he doesn't turn it over. I'm guessing Vigen does the same. When you have a defense that played like it did Saturday you call the game exactly like Vigen did.

Couldn't agree with you more!

So many people give him grief for his play calling, but he's making the best calls he can. Everyone wants extravegant plays but the calls are smart and what's best for this team.

A quarterback is everything in an offense and with the one we have right now it's best to keep him in good situations with the plays that are called.

CAS4127
11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
As many of you gave me shit about on Saturday, I predicted that we would lose this game, and stated as a basis for my prediction that SIU would play solid defense against us. They run, as you should have noticed, a 3-4 defenses, which, by design, is effective against screens, draws and misdirection plays, and dumps to RB's in the flats (which plays have been our big play producers this year). So, if you don't have a power running game, which we don't, your offensive scheme is limited, and you better execute well with what you have, but we didn't. Hence the lack of creativity and production. Mohler got his ass chewed by me when he fumbled near our North endzone early in game--yes, I was very close to him and he even looked up at me. With his small stature and hands, he needs to be extra careful with the ball, but he isn't. He is, in my opinion, a minor leaguer. A big thank you to our defense and punt return team, or we may have lost this game.

Oh, and SIU's noseguard in their 3-4 defense: 6' - 255 pounds, and I don't recall a bunchof, if any, big runs from us up the middle--just sayin.

runtheoption
11-08-2010, 04:06 PM
...noseguard in their 3-4 defense: 6' - 255 pounds, and I don't recall a bunchof, if any, big runs from us up the middle--just sayin.

Ya, but you said all we need is a 250 lb noseguard in a 3-4. Clearly your analysis was way off. Obviously. :)

lakesbison
11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
siu with jerry kill recruits last 2 years 18-6.

siu with lennon recruits this year 3-6.

opps.

BisonNeil
11-09-2010, 12:16 AM
There were 4 plays that really stood out to me today and they were all hustle/effort plays.

#1 Obviously punt block, not only to block it but to get it into the end zone, because I don't know if we score if that doesn't get into the end zone. But why try and run another punt block again the next time??

#2 Mohler's first fumble covered up by our lineman, didn't catch who but that was a LONG ways behind the line. Great hustle.

#3 Mohler's second fumble. For Hollaway to even have a chance to knock that out of bounds is insane. He was at least 20 yards away from the ball when it came out.

#4 The Marcus Williams pick/jump ball fight for the rebound. He basically said that's my ball and you are not taking it away from me.

There were lots of other big effort plays both offensively and defensively today that made the difference. It was just frustrating for most of the game to know that we should have had at least 14 more points, but instead be up by no more than 10 and know that we were one play away from being in a TIGHT game.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it Gatlin that got the INT on that play?

ISXBISON
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it Gatlin that got the INT on that play?

yes it was Gatlin

bisonfan11
11-09-2010, 02:16 AM
A grudging congrats from Cap'n Cat.

:mad:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I knew you weren't all that bad.:D

ndsubison1
11-09-2010, 05:23 AM
im watching the replay of the game. the pass interference call on us in the 2nd quarter was pathetic. the ball was out of bounds. the receiver wasnt even close to it. They called the interference on Jemison. But Marcus Williams was covering the WR it was being thrown to. LOL. P.S. IndyBison yes, this cleary was a bad call

westnodak93bison
11-10-2010, 02:15 AM

I gave him a congrats in another thread! :)

IndyBison
11-11-2010, 03:55 AM
im watching the replay of the game. the pass interference call on us in the 2nd quarter was pathetic. the ball was out of bounds. the receiver wasnt even close to it. They called the interference on Jemison. But Marcus Williams was covering the WR it was being thrown to. LOL. P.S. IndyBison yes, this cleary was a bad call

They didn't show this play on the Craig Bohl Show. I did see the potential false start play though. I think it would have been supported as a false start if it had been called but it could also be considered a legal shift.