PDA

View Full Version : Ducks new basketball floor

OrygunBison
11-06-2010, 09:43 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Oregon-s-crazy-new-basketball-floor-is-quintesse?urn=ncaab-283060&ref=nf

Pretty cool if you ask me. You be the judge...

bisonmike2
11-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Is that Stonehenge underneath the O?

Hammersmith
11-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Is that Stonehenge underneath the O?

Looks like Pi something Pi to me.

bisonmike2
11-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Looks like Pi something Pi to me.

mmmmmmm Pi.

IzzyFlexion
11-07-2010, 12:45 AM
mmmmmmm Pi.

Let me tip this one in for you.
http://gettwicetheresults.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/homeranticipation.gif

bisonmike2
11-07-2010, 12:47 AM
http://oumathclub.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/mmmmmmm-pi-pie-doris-humor-funny-food-demotivational-poster-1224399447.jpg

MNLonghorn10
11-07-2010, 01:59 AM
looks horrible...like the jerseys

zooropa
11-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Zoiks.

It's a 94 foot long Rohrschach blot

mango
11-07-2010, 02:52 AM
It is an interesting concept with the whole idea of looking up from a forest floor. I don't know how well it worked though

OrygunBison
11-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Tough crowd.

onbison09
11-07-2010, 04:31 AM
looks horrible...like the jerseys

I don't mind the different combos so much but those feathers are awful

IzzyFlexion
11-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Sorry Orygun, but that floor is just brutal in my opinion. Being unique and progressive is one thing, but.............ughhh.

MNLonghorn10
11-07-2010, 01:40 PM
so below the O it says "matt" after phil knights dead son?? awkward...

bisonmike2
11-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I looked at it again and just now noticed the trees. I thought it was just a gigantic white blotch on the floor.

OrygunBison
11-07-2010, 02:28 PM
so below the O it says "matt" after phil knights dead son?? awkward...

That's the name of the building.

WYOBISONMAN
11-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Back in undergrad school when I used to smoke dope......I would sometimes see stuff that looked like that floor......not sure if that is good for a BB program......:p

OrygunBison
11-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Back in undergrad school when I used to smoke dope......I would sometimes see stuff that looked like that floor......not sure if that is good for a BB program......:p

If you spend any time in Eugene, you'd understand that it is completely appropriate for that same reason. The counterculture is still very much alive and well at the UofO.

zooropa
11-08-2010, 01:28 AM
See it in real life here:

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205025431&SPSID=4297&SPID=235&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=500#

I'm looking at the men's 3 pt. line and thinking that's gonna cause some problems.

sambini
11-09-2010, 03:30 AM

They must of had some ditch weed when they designed it...

tony
11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Dunno.

Kind of expected it to look like a tie-dyed hemp t-shirt stretched over a hippie's gut so I'm kind of disappointed.

GradBison
11-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Looks like someone with severe diarrhea took an explosive dump on white canvas.

It's also not very "functional" as been pointed out about the 3-point line, and the center court line.

Superfan
11-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I hope you guys are being sarcastic and I'm not picking up on it. I think it's phenomenal.

OrygunBison
11-09-2010, 05:29 PM
I hope you guys are being sarcastic and I'm not picking up on it. I think it's phenomenal.

Thank you. It seems that BV's sole purpose is to create a venue for people to pile onto the negative lately.

I personally think that this new floor will be phenomenal and that it will contribute well into this new venue. The MATT certainly is state-of-the-art. I will probably go check it out this weekend if I can get in. (I sometimes like to show my "architect's badge" to gain access to construction sites...)

CAS4127
11-09-2010, 05:45 PM

Maybe they just don't know what "qintessential" means?!:hide:

bisonmike2
11-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Looks like someone with severe diarrhea took an explosive dump on white canvas.

It's also not very "functional" as been pointed out about the 3-point line, and the center court line.

See I was thinking it was some sort of other bodily fluild. I was expecting this in the corner.

*Designed by Peter North

BisonAccountant44
11-09-2010, 07:40 PM
It's not bad. The picture looks 100x's better than the graphic version did. They are going to have to do something about that three point line though. I'm not sure how I feel about the Pac 10 logo's in white either, they look out of place to me.

mebisonII
11-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Thank you. It seems that BV's sole purpose is to create a venue for people to pile onto the negative lately.

I personally think that this new floor will be phenomenal and that it will contribute well into this new venue. The MATT certainly is state-of-the-art. I will probably go check it out this weekend if I can get in. (I sometimes like to show my "architect's badge" to gain access to construction sites...)

So Orygun, how do you feel about the SHAC design? ;)

I'm torn on it. As an 'artistic' thing, its kind of cool. Functionally, I think the visibility of the lines might be a little problematic. In a way though, I kind of dislike it just because it signals another step in the athletics arms race. How long before we have to spend half-a-million dollars on a pretty design for our BB court just so we can recruit players? I may be a prematurely-aged-old-fuddy-duddy, but I think the traditional look is just fine.

OrygunBison
11-11-2010, 05:21 AM
So Orygun, how do you feel about the SHAC design? ;)

I'm torn on it. As an 'artistic' thing, its kind of cool. Functionally, I think the visibility of the lines might be a little problematic. In a way though, I kind of dislike it just because it signals another step in the athletics arms race. How long before we have to spend half-a-million dollars on a pretty design for our BB court just so we can recruit players? I may be a prematurely-aged-old-fuddy-duddy, but I think the traditional look is just fine.

Alright, funny guy. I'm assuming that you are referring to my critique of the design for the SHAC in another thread, right? Well, that wasn't me piling onto the negative because I seemed to be the only one that had any sort of meaningful concerns about the aesthetics, k. It is my job (literally) to challenge design to be better, for the same cost of construction. I'm pretty damn good at it, too. Great design on the cheap is something that we have promoted in my firm since inception. I have offered an educated opinion on a subject that I am very versed and passionate about. That is different from others on here that truly believe that they know much more than all of the coaches and players and feed of each other's pissyness. So there.

Regarding the new Ducks floor, I think it is great. I like the vision. For me, this is an example of a school that designs their new facilities to lead their peers, rather than just "keeping up with the Joneses". Rest assured that if the rest of college BB courts start doing this sort of stuff, the UofO will be the ones to re-introduce the elegance of the old style of floor.

mebisonII
11-11-2010, 01:56 PM
:fight: :fight:

Just giving you crap, man. No biggie.
:)

OrygunBison
11-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Huh, I guess I get a little feisty after a few drinks...

mebisonII
11-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Huh, I guess I get a little feisty after a few drinks...

But you type surprisingly coherently! :nod:

OrygunBison
11-11-2010, 06:10 PM
But you type surprisingly coherently! :nod:

Well, my drinking last night was in a sort of professional environment. I was with a client after we were unanimously approved by Planning Commission last night on a project that we are working on. It has been one battle after another on the project so we had a few cocktails to celebrate a first victory.

KC Bison
11-17-2010, 11:37 PM
"The court is framed on all sides by a forest of fir trees". How's that work, do you have to look between the trees to see the court or what?

zooropa
11-18-2010, 12:19 AM
It is my job (literally) to challenge design to be better, for the same cost of construction.

I like the vision.

http://www.goducks.com//pics31/640/MK/MKWPRTLIMNMSCYJ.20101106012013.jpg

Proportion doesn't cost extra. Something Harold Spitznagel understood, and South Dakota hasn't had an architect of his caliber since.

As far as the 'vision' on display at Oregon, I find it at odds with both your desire for 'better design for the same cost' as it is arguably less functional and certainly more expensive than a more conventional design.

And if you'd like high falutin' philosophicapated reasons for dissing the floor, they are as follows:

- functionality (covered above). Under HDTV quality lighting, unless the halfcourt, tip off circle, and men's three point lines are picked out by iridescent paint, they'll disappear. Heck, I can't see the half court line or tip off circle in that pic.

- branding. Allegedly, those are trees. Not quite sure how well that image is going to translate under HDTV--certainly better than under the old NTSC standards, but still, how many 'innocent eyes' are going to look at that and read 'forest'

- novelty is not the same as vision. I am a fan of modern art and modern architecture. While I wouldn't pretend to go toe to toe with you, I know the difference between Corbu, Wright, and Gehry.

This novelty, IMO, lacks the urge to 'do things better' that underpinned the Modernist movement. It is simply (IMO) giving in to a certain world-weary satiety with convention, in pursuit of something not necessarily better, but certainly different.

If the period beginning with Beethoven, Delacroix and Turner and ending with De Kooning, Pollock, Corbu, Gehry and Mies were to be compared with the Renaissance, this is a mannerist hangover.

I can't consider the Oregon floor as anything other than novel, and novelty, IMO, is a poor justification for doing anything.

Perhaps I'm in need of a few beers so I don't take this so seriously.....

onbison09
11-18-2010, 12:54 AM
OK that looks better than the picture but still meh

OrygunBison
11-18-2010, 02:04 AM
http://www.goducks.com//pics31/640/MK/MKWPRTLIMNMSCYJ.20101106012013.jpg

Proportion doesn't cost extra. Something Harold Spitznagel understood, and South Dakota hasn't had an architect of his caliber since.

As far as the 'vision' on display at Oregon, I find it at odds with both your desire for 'better design for the same cost' as it is arguably less functional and certainly more expensive than a more conventional design.

And if you'd like high falutin' philosophicapated reasons for dissing the floor, they are as follows:

- functionality (covered above). Under HDTV quality lighting, unless the halfcourt, tip off circle, and men's three point lines are picked out by iridescent paint, they'll disappear. Heck, I can't see the half court line or tip off circle in that pic.

- branding. Allegedly, those are trees. Not quite sure how well that image is going to translate under HDTV--certainly better than under the old NTSC standards, but still, how many 'innocent eyes' are going to look at that and read 'forest'

- novelty is not the same as vision. I am a fan of modern art and modern architecture. While I wouldn't pretend to go toe to toe with you, I know the difference between Corbu, Wright, and Gehry.

This novelty, IMO, lacks the urge to 'do things better' that underpinned the Modernist movement. It is simply (IMO) giving in to a certain world-weary satiety with convention, in pursuit of something not necessarily better, but certainly different.

If the period beginning with Beethoven, Delacroix and Turner and ending with De Kooning, Pollock, Corbu, Gehry and Mies were to be compared with the Renaissance, this is a mannerist hangover.

I can't consider the Oregon floor as anything other than novel, and novelty, IMO, is a poor justification for doing anything.

Perhaps I'm in need of a few beers so I don't take this so seriously.....

Wow, you put your big boy pants on today!!! Congratulations!!!

Regarding novelty vs. vision, perhaps this is a little of both, I will give you at least that. Perhaps they'll rip it out in 20 years when it has worn out its welcome. I will say, however, that there is something completely Northwestern about this. This region has a unique slant on the Modern (that's with a big "M") style. While you conjure up the names of landmark architects such as Corbu, Wright and Gehry (who is certainly not a straight up Modern Architect), I would look more specifically at the works of regional greats such as Pietro Belluschi, Arthur Erickson, Miller/Hull, Olson Sundberg Kundig, the Patkau's, Allied Works, Skylab, Thomas Hacker, Holst and Colab.

Things really are different here...I think in a good way. Your average citizen here is pretty thoughtful and engaged with the built environment and its relationship with the natural one. I get the floor design because I am from here...or at least have been for the last 14 years. Maybe that is the whole point. It is uniquely Northwestern. That is not to say that it is wasteful or "not better" as you allude to. As a work of art, it speaks to me and I think that it will speak to many from the region. We are intimately connected with our environment here. Might it seem off from afar, certainly. But who cares? It'll serve OUR purposes just fine. Heck, maybe it'll even inspire someone along the way.

As it relates to my previous comments of great design for no more cost, I will give you that one in the context of the Ducks floor. I'm not so sure that I connected the two or really intended to do so, but nonetheless, there's certainly something substantially different at play in Eugene. I think certain top markets can go that route. I will likely never be in that world. All my projects have strict budgets and I like to think that they are all thoughtfully crafted. I still stand by the statement when it concerns the BSA, though. Some significant additional thought could make the project very special without breaking the bank.

OrygunBison
11-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention one thing. People here generally smoke a lot of weed, so, you know, there IS that...

zooropa
11-18-2010, 02:42 AM
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention one thing. People here generally smoke a lot of weed, so, you know, there IS that...

:D

At the same time that I rail against novelty qua novelty, it *is* effective. Especially when everyone is doing it. This floor decoration while being nothing I particularly care for is quintessentially "University of Oregon", and that means something.

FWIW, I consider Gehry to be comparable to Michelangelo in straddling two periods: last of the moderns and first of the PoMo Mannerists,as Michelangelo's later work was quite of the Mannerist vein (especially the Last Judgment and the tomb of Giuliano di Medici).

BTW I admire your respect for your profession.

One other thing: I've long been a fan of what I call "Environmental Modern", starting with Fallingwater and the Taliesins, but (it seems) being best practiced in the West--or rather the mountain west. Enjoyed the Arthur Erickson designs--but I'd like to do something about his website. Yikes.

Here's a tidbit for you. The state of South Dakota intended to hire Wright to design the Sylvan Lake Lodge in the Black Hills in 1936. They insisted on a 'spec' design from him. He refused, and SD architect Spitznagel got the commission, Spitz later said that insisting on a sample of work from Wright was like asking a skilled surgeon to operate on a dog as a demonstration of competence. Wright for his part paid Spitz the tribute of not insulting his work--which ended up being pretty quotidian (Spitz went on to do better work):

http://images.traveltoday.net/images/dl/jpg/true/true/540/540/aHR0cDovL2ltYWdlLnBlZ3MuY29tL2NvbnRlbnQvSC9INlYvSD ZWUC9INlZQTC9JUDEwODU0ODBfRXh0MV9qLmpwZw==.jpg

Wright, for his part, loved the Hills in general and Spearfish Canyon in particular.

OrygunBison
01-16-2011, 08:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MM9PyTx-6A

Matthew Knight Arena opening ceremony. Sorry for the poor video quality. I could not find any better ones.

Tatanka
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MM9PyTx-6A

Matthew Knight Arena opening ceremony. Sorry for the poor video quality. I could not find any better ones.

Pssssshhhhhhht. I can see that any time I want at the BSA on a Monday night conference game.