PDA

View Full Version : Expansion not over...UM & MSU recieve WAC invite? USD to the MVFC?

AKBison
11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
This has been a wild ride. Here is what is being reported from what I can tell. What is fact and what is speculation is up to the Sioux to figure out.

The Missoulian is reporting that

It sounds like the Grizzlies and Montana State received formal invites from the WAC on Friday - the same day the Big Sky invited in North Dakota, South Dakota and Southern Utah. http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/article_916afb36-e6ff-11df-b097-001cc4c002e0.html

Fullerton has changed his tune about the future of Big sky membership.

"One line attributed to Fullerton reads: The Big Sky does not anticipate losing any of its current nine core members. He backed off from that later Monday."

"Maybe I should say that the league does not want to lose anyone." said Fullerton, mindful that the Western Athletic Conference is courting UM...."Probably that statement was a little bit of hopeful thinking. I can also say that we have no knowledge that anybody is leaving at this particular time." http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/article_61c5e7a6-e5c9-11df-91e6-001cc4c002e0.html

Finally, there is this gem from Kolpack.

Colleague Terry Vandrovec asked a great question of Northern Iowa head coach Mark Farley today in the Mo Valley teleconference on the Coyotes and the Big Sky. “My only thought is South Dakota would be a tremendous addition to our league,” Farley said.http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2010/11/03/uni-coach-usd-would-be-great-addition/

Followed by the USD athletic director claiming a decision has not been made yet.

Sayler said other factors included in the decision vary from time zone differences to traveling challenges.The athletic department will make a decision by the end of the week, on Friday at the latest, Sayler said "I'm hoping to have a press conference on Thursday, if not Friday," he said. Sayler said the department is not leaning toward one option or the other, and making the right decision is ultimately the most important factor, he said. "We're just making sure that we're making a good decision in good time," http://www.volanteonline.com/sports/usd-athletics-to-announce-home-of-coyote-sports-1.2391581

It is very unlikely that Montana State will be heading the WAC anytime soon but IMO, UM is gone and will align themselves with the Texas schools in terms of their move up schedule. For those counting at home, UNI would make for four yes votes in favor of USD to the MVFC. (NDSU, SDSU, WIU). MSU was very much in favor of the Dakota schools and would likely be in favor of adding USD. USD waters down the conference some but this would be a good thing for schools like ISU blue and MSU who have struggled historically. Thoughts?

tony
11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
My main thought is: Holy carp! Good finds.

Other than that:

There's a decent chance that all the Dakota DI schools will be better off than they were a year ago.
I'd rather have more than just a simple majority of MVFC schools vote to add USD. I really would like to keep Youngstown State happy.

zooropa
11-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I really would like to keep Youngstown State happy

With proper scheduling, adding USD wouldn't increase YSU's travel budget, as the MVFC would keep an 8 game schedule.

AKBison
11-03-2010, 06:58 PM
YSU leaving the MVFC wouldn't break the hearts of anybody in the league. Also, I am not sure of the vote count, but didn't NDSU get into the Gateway by the skin of its teeth?

onbison09
11-03-2010, 07:00 PM
:D

(That is all)

tjbison
11-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I've said it all along if they think UND and SUU were added to the Fluffy because they are sooo attractive and powerful everyone is wrong. There was a reason Fullerton changed his tune on expansion in a matter of weeks after YEARS of NO's

wow
11-03-2010, 08:11 PM
It is very unlikely that Montana State will be heading the WAC anytime soon but IMO, UM is gone and will align themselves with the Texas schools in terms of their move up schedule. Thoughts?

If Montana goes WAC, can Montana State realistically turn it down? FBS conference invites don't come along every day, and I would have to think the same dynamics between the UxD/xDSU schools happen with MSU and UM. They might not be able to realistically make the jump, but wouldn't they have to die trying, if for no other reason to keep up with UM and stay relevant in their own state?

bisonmike2
11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I like the idea of USD in the MVFC and Summit. I also like the idea of UND stuck on an island in a Montana/Montana St-less Big Sky Conference.

Bison bison
11-03-2010, 08:57 PM
YSU leaving the MVFC wouldn't break the hearts of anybody in the league. Also, I am not sure of the vote count, but didn't NDSU get into the Gateway by the skin of its teeth?

I would be sad as I think that the Penguins coach is a total idiot and I like to watch poor coaches at the helm of teams (other than the Bison).

tjbison
11-03-2010, 09:39 PM

Where would YSU go??? OVC is NOT in the books, CAA isn't going to add a FB only school and I doubt YSU will leave the Horizon for all other sports. Only way they leave is a FBS conference invite which isn't happening

80ALUM
11-03-2010, 09:47 PM
I like the idea of USD in the MVFC and Summit. I also like the idea of UND stuck on an island in a Montana/Montana St-less Big Sky Conference.

This and a Bison win on Saturday would so make my week!:nod:

coldspot
11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Where would YSU go??? OVC is NOT in the books, CAA isn't going to add a FB only school and I doubt YSU will leave the Horizon for all other sports. Only way they leave is a FBS conference invite which isn't happening

pioneer football league

nevermind, theyre a non-scholarship football conference.

Hammersmith
11-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Some have suggested that YSU has been in the basement of the Horizon for so long that they might consider the OVC. They've been 32-94 in conference over the last 7 years, with their best season being 8-10 in 2007. I don't necessarily agree with the theory, but there's at least a nugget of truth in it.

tony
11-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Some have suggested that YSU has been in the basement of the Horizon for so long that they might consider the OVC. They've been 32-94 in conference over the last 7 years, with their best season being 8-10 in 2007. I don't necessarily agree with the theory, but there's at least a nugget of truth in it.

Heh, that kind of points out why I have a soft spot for YSU: There is no doubt that football is the biggest sport at Youngstown State - good to have programs like that in a football conference.

Elephants Dream?
11-04-2010, 12:14 AM

I LOVE this idea!

Bison bison
11-04-2010, 01:37 AM
There is an easy scheduling solution to adding USD to the MVFC: have all teams play 8 games, that is every team but one.

Unofficially divide the schools into east/west divisions:

NDSU
SDSU
USD
UI-N
WIU
-----
MSU
ISU-R
ISU-B
SIU
YSU

(one could flip MSU and WIU)

have every team play all teams in their division (4 games) and all teams but one in the other division (4 games).

there would be four home and four away games.

i wouldn't like formal divisions, but rather just use divisions as a way to manage scheduling.

there are some shortcomings as it isn't a round-robin, e.g. every decade or so the conference champ will not play the runner up. but that's not a big deal because i can't imagine at least two teams making the playoff field every year (if not three or four)

what i definitely don't want is for there to be an east/west division or even worse a summit and mvc division.

a nice perk of this is that it makes an ever so slight dent in travel. instead of YSU visiting Fargo five times in ten years, it will visit four.

my thoughts are that this really wouldn't be a big deal to non-summit league teams, but would really, really help the summit/USD/FCS football out.

hell, if the mvfc has any brains they charge USD big bucks for joining. The BATNA figure would be what they would have to pay the big sky (plus the difference in travel between the summit and the bsc. That would be millions. Of course, that would also be the a$$hat/UND thing to do.

Charge USD $500,000 double what the XDSU's paid. Even a million dollars wouldn't be completely unreasonable.

USD is a great institution, they would add to the MVFC's reputation academically.

tony
11-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Just to be clear Northern Iowa is UNI, not NIU (it's the UNI-Dome not the NIU-Dome). NIU is Northern Illinois.

Bison bison
11-04-2010, 01:48 AM
thanks, mrs. crabapple. :)

you have any thoughts on the post?

AKBison
11-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Supposedly the decision has been leaked and a poster on SDSUfans claims that the Yankton newspaper will break the story sometime this evening. Me thinks the Sioux are in trouble...

tony
11-04-2010, 01:54 AM
thanks, mrs. crabapple. :)

you have any thoughts on the post?

Your idea made perfect sense to me.

Bison bison
11-04-2010, 01:56 AM
word on the street is that USD is going to the BSC for FOOTBALL-ONLY.

tony
11-04-2010, 02:05 AM
word on the street is that USD is going to the BSC for FOOTBALL-ONLY.

D'oh... how in the heck did I miss that scenario?

Gully
11-04-2010, 02:39 AM
D'oh... how in the heck did I miss that scenario?

Would the Big Sky want them for football only? You'd think they'd make them join for all sports given that they just added UND.

Coyote Fan
11-04-2010, 02:44 AM
You know what is really funny in all of this. Just this summer most NDSU fans were probably laughing at USD, not thinking they were worthy of D1 let alone the MVFC. Now the tone is starting to change where the majority of NDSU fans would actually welcome and think that USD is a decent addition. Even many Jacks fans that wanted USD to rot in purgatory forever are liking the idea or are at least open to it.

Wow how things can change. It is kind of amazing how big the win was when USD defeated Minnesota, now the Big Sky and MVFC are fighting over USD to get in. Not that the Minnesota win made that big of a difference. USD isn't really even having that great of a year in football. Mediocre would best describe it.

The way it looks the Yotes and Bison will start to play as conference foes again. See ya around and please break that three game losing streak against a particular opponent coming up on the schedule

tjbison
11-04-2010, 02:47 AM
You know what is really funny in all of this. Just this summer most NDSU fans were probably laughing at USD, not thinking they were worthy of D1 let alone the MVFC. Now the tone is starting to change where the majority of NDSU fans would actually welcome and think that USD is a decent addition. Even many Jacks fans that wanted USD to rot in purgatory forever are liking the idea or are at least open to it.

Wow how things can change. It is kind of amazing how big the win was when USD defeated Minnesota, now the Big Sky and MVFC are fighting over USD to get in. Not that the Minnesota win made that big of a difference. USD isn't really even having that great of a year in football. Mediocre would best describe it.

The way it looks the Yotes and Bison will start to play as conference foes again. See ya around and please break that three game losing streak against a particular opponent coming up on the schedule

It has more to do with screwing UND IMO, but I do think USD will be ok in the Valley if all this is true and yes it has nothing to do with beating MN

Gully
11-04-2010, 02:49 AM

The Yotes win over the Gophers was great, I was certainly a big fan that day. Touchdown Yotes!

TbonZach
11-04-2010, 02:50 AM
It has more to do with screwing UND IMO, but I do think USD will be ok in the Valley if all this is true and yes it has nothing to do with beating MN

^^This.^^ I've never really had too big of a problem with USD being in the MVFC or the Summit. UND, on the other had, can go sit on the pointy end of a broom.

TransAmBison
11-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I don't really care what happens to USD (except a closer road game would be cool) but I love the idea of UND's goat getting ripped away from them just as they were about to thrust. :D

Mr. Burgundy
11-04-2010, 02:55 AM
From what I understand, tomorrow is going to be really funny!

TheBisonator
11-04-2010, 03:01 AM

The notion of USD joining both our conferences is palatable if it screws the sue. Now you need to get to work on some facility construction (new arena, half of dome) if you want my respect.

TransAmBison
11-04-2010, 03:02 AM
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt4/bobjohnson_03/automotivator80.jpg

MontBison
11-04-2010, 03:09 AM
I promise ya'll MSU is not moving up! And I would be shocked if UM did. THEY WOULD HAVE TO ADD TWO WOMENS SPORTS!!! NOT HAPPENING!!!

tjbison
11-04-2010, 03:11 AM
I promise ya'll MSU is not moving up! And I would be shocked if UM did. THEY WOULD HAVE TO ADD TWO WOMENS SPORTS!!! NOT HAPPENING!!!

Maybe not right now, but sounds like the WAC gave them a open Invitation so they could join next year or the following, give them some time to get their ducks in a row

TransAmBison
11-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Maybe not right now, but sounds like the WAC gave them a open Invitation so they could join next year or the following, give them some time to get their sheep in a row
Fixed it for ya.

Bison bison
11-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Maybe not right now, but sounds like the WAC gave them a open Invitation so they could join next year or the following, give them some time to get their ducks in a row

Montana has had an unofficial spot in the WAC for years.

AKBison
11-04-2010, 03:17 AM
Posters on SDSUfans are claiming that several local news rags are now reporting that USD has recieved a last minute invite to the MVFC. The meltdown on Siouxsports should be epic. (Not that I ever go there or anything) :D

99Bison
11-04-2010, 03:18 AM

Dude nothing has changed... as others stated people enjoy the option of UND in no mans land, and don't think there's any fighting over USD, if anything USD is begging MVFC/Summit as it would save them millions in travel.

WYOBISONMAN
11-04-2010, 03:54 AM
LMAO......here is a little gem that is typical of the gnashing of teeth and wailing going on over on Siouxsports.com. This is f'ing priceless......:D

Totally agree with you, Fasion and Kelly go to the state board to speed up the process for the removal of the nickname so we can get a site visit from the summit. Next, the summit is going to visit but we decide to cancel the visit because the BSC offers a full membership which we accept right away without our so called "partner" USD getting the proper agreements necessary because we wanted to look like big shots! So, USD struggles to get the approvals and in the mean time the MVFC invites USD to their conference starting 2012. One of the struggles was the buyout money which UND should have been talking to USD and maybe even helped them out in that scenerio so we have our partner. Why not wait and make it a package deal with USD? I thought we were travel partners and partners throughout the transition. So, why not wait a week and stroke your own ego until everyone is on the same page? Yeah, we look like idiots again just like we did when RT thought it was dumb to move up to DIAA. We have a serious problem with leadership at UND for the past 10-15 years.

Please don't come back and say it is hindsight because USD left us and we didn't see it coming. YOU JUST DON'T LET IT COME DOWN TO THAT!!! You cover your ass. We deserve to be the only team within 800 miles to our closest conference member. We deserve it if Montana and Montana State leave and are stuck with a $hity conference. What are you going to tell me next? The alumni need to donate more because of the expenses while the people asking for the money don't know their head from their @$$. Yeah, I am taking some shots here but they are well deserved. If you don't think this is accurate you are only kidding yourself. If and when others laugh at us we should almost be laughing at ourselves for the terrible moves we have made.

Alright, I think that covers a little bit of what is on my chest about our horse $hit administration but my main point is UND lacks of strategic vision!!!!

BlueBisonRock
11-04-2010, 03:58 AM
LMAO......here is a little gem that is typical of the gnashing of teeth and wailing going on over on Siouxsports.com. This is f'ing priceless......:D

Some brave volenteer who has not yet been banned from SS aught point them to the TAB Demovators.... This may help calm the mood and slow this meltdown. Really. Do it for the kids!

Tatanka
11-04-2010, 04:00 AM

Priceless, yes, but not nearly as funny as the usual brand of winged monkey you see up there. :rofl:

This dude actually gets it, and he's pissed at the right people for the right reasons.

Bisonguy
11-04-2010, 04:03 AM
I don't see what the problem is. I'm sure Northern Colorado is happy to have a travel partner for all sports other than football.

Bison bison
11-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Yeah 'cause it's real easy to get from Greeley to Grand Forks...

WYOBISONMAN
11-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Priceless, yes, but not nearly as funny as the usual brand of winged monkey you see up there. :rofl:

This dude actually gets it, and he's pissed at the right people for the right reasons.

I dunno......UND's only option all along was the Sky. I doubt they would have got and invite to the MVFC. Given those assumptions, the only prudent move for UND was to join the Sky since it gave all sports a home. Getting in the Summit and being a FB independent would have not been a good choice. But......this is still funny as hell!!!:D

zooropa
11-04-2010, 04:09 AM

Well, let's be honest. SDSU & NDSU were real partners in transition. They pitched the Big Sky jointly, they pitched the Summit jointly, and they pitched the MVFC jointly.

USD & UND weren't partners in the slightest. They could have been, but UND was already married to that damned nickname of theirs. And if this is poetic justice for their earlier conduct, well, so be it.

Tatanka
11-04-2010, 04:09 AM
I dunno......UND's only option all along was the Sky. I doubt they would have got and invite to the MVFC. Given those assumptions, the only prudent move for UND was to join the Sky since it gave all sports a home. Getting in the Summit and being a FB independent would have not been a good choice. But......this is still funny as hell!!!:D

I see what you're saying but I don't think it's the recent decisions that are the main source of his rage...

Bisonguy
11-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Yeah 'cause it's real easy to get from Greeley to Grand Forks...

Only 100 miles farther than the closest BS school, and doubtful that they'd break up the Montana schools.........

Bisonguy
11-04-2010, 04:17 AM

They were given the freakin instruction manual showing they would have to commit to the Summit before any consideration was given by the MVFC by the xDSU's and now most likely, USD.

Hello, McFaison???????

zooropa
11-04-2010, 04:22 AM
They were given the freakin instruction manual showing they would have to commit to the Summit before any consideration was given by the MVFC by the xDSU's and now most likely, USD.

Hello, McFaison???????

And THAT is exactly why I think this is a fit outcome to this saga.

On what basis did they expect NDSU, SDSU and ESPECIALLY WIU to press for their admission to the Valley?

This is another Faustian twist for the school that sold its soul for a $100M arena.

Bisonguy
11-04-2010, 04:29 AM
And THAT is exactly why I think this is a fit outcome to this saga.

On what basis did they expect NDSU, SDSU and ESPECIALLY WIU to press for their admission to the Valley?

This is another Faisonian twist for the school that sold its soul for a $100M arena.

Fixed it for you. :blush:

Tatanka
11-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Soooooooo.... how long until UND comes begging, hat in hand, to the MVFC/Summit?

Over/under: 2.5 years.

zooropa
11-04-2010, 04:33 AM
Fixed it for you. :blush:

Oh, this is bigger than Faison.

Faison is like the third or fourth victim in a horror flick:

You know, there's the chick (or guy+chick) who die because they don't know something's evil. Then there's the guy who dies when everyone else finds out its evil, and then there's the guy who dies trying to fight whatever it is, because it's evil, and he's basically good (but doesn't have top billing).

That guy? That's Faison.

He's the guy that would get warned by the guy with top billing: "Be careful, man, you don't know what you're dealing with in there."

Bisonguy
11-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Soooooooo.... how long until UND comes begging, hat in hand, to the MVFC/Summit?

Over/under: 2.5 years.

And the conferences can name their price- One. Billion. Dollars.

Mr. Burgundy
11-04-2010, 04:39 AM
And the conferences can name their price- One. Billion. Dollars.

It is amazing how many football/basketball bandwagon fans UND probably had in the last 48 hours....they are instantly back wearing hockey gear.

ndsubison1
11-04-2010, 05:49 AM
I love the MVC adding USD for football. I feel like they will eventually be a solid program and it's good location. Plus, it means they will stay in the Summit and give the conference more stability. I also absolutely love UND being left in the dust with so many questions surrounding the Big Sky right now. They have no travel partner, they are basically isolated from the rest of the conference. And Montana/Montana State are no guarantees to stay in the future

Bisonguy
11-04-2010, 05:56 AM
What if Dale Lennon helped block UND being considered from the MVFC??? :confused:

Will there be 'stache salutes on Saturday??

met1990
11-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Und did what it had to do--it certainly doesn't need to apologize for joining a historically strong conference that takes care of most of its athletics needs. Good for them.

Who knows what the future holds for the Big Sky/Summit/MVFC/etc.? However, I have to think that if Und would have settled its stupid nickname issue years ago it would have been in a similar position as USD--one of strength. After all, USD had the option of Summit/MVFC and Big Sky. I hope we find out how much the buyout impacted USD's decision, but for their case--it's good to have options (unlike Und).

In the short term, this worked out well for everyone. With conference shakeups all over the place, who knows how it will work long term. All I know is I'm happy with how things worked out for NDSU!

TbonZach
11-04-2010, 06:06 AM
What if Dale Lennon helped block UND being considered from the MVFC??? :confused:

Although that would be very, very interesting, I don't think that happened. I would hope Lennon would be too much of a stand-up guy to do that. Maybe I should rephrase that. While he may not have gone to bat for them, I don't think he would outright block them.

TbonZach
11-04-2010, 06:10 AM
....However, I have to think that if Und would have settled its stupid nickname issue years ago it would have been in a similar position as USD--one of strength.

Where have you been? UND has had a position of strength the entire time! :D

Bisonguy
11-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Although that would be very, very interesting, I don't think that happened. I would hope Lennon would be too much of a stand-up guy to do that. Maybe I should rephrase that. While he may not have gone to bat for them, I don't think he would outright block them.

What if the stache went rogue on him???

NDSUstudent
11-04-2010, 06:21 AM

This could be the work of Lennon's stache, doubt his stache wanted to go back to GF after spending years plotting its successful escape.

tony
11-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Haven't seen this one yet:

Missoulian: South Dakota will not make move to Big Sky Conference (http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/article_8da06c90-e7cf-11df-988e-001cc4c03286.html)

Big Sky commissioner Doug Fulerton confirmed late Wednesday night that South Dakota instead accepted an 11th-hour invitation to join the Missouri Valley Conference.

met1990
11-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Haven't seen this one yet:

Missoulian: South Dakota will not make move to Big Sky Conference (http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/article_8da06c90-e7cf-11df-988e-001cc4c03286.html)

Interesting link. Here's another quote I found interesting. I wonder who gets left out of the annual Montana game if that happens?

"Once you stop thinking about divisions you start looking at more of a format like the Big Ten has run with 11 members," Fullerton said. "They play their rivals every year and rotate the rest of the people through. It's an uneven schedule but they can create the kind of schedule they want. I don't see how you do divisions with the odd number. That creates problems for you."

tony
11-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Interesting link. Here's another quote I found interesting. I wonder who gets left out of the annual Montana game if that happens?

"Once you stop thinking about divisions you start looking at more of a format like the Big Ten has run with 11 members," Fullerton said. "They play their rivals every year and rotate the rest of the people through. It's an uneven schedule but they can create the kind of schedule they want. I don't see how you do divisions with the odd number. That creates problems for you."

Well, if Montana joins the WAC, that solves both problems. Nobody gets Montana and they're back to an even number.

met1990
11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, if Montana joins the WAC, that solves both problems. Nobody gets Montana and they're back to an even number.

Good point.

Hansel
11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Does this mean Douple pwned Fullerton?

In the last year Douple has ditched 2 schools 300+ RPI MBB teams, while Fullerton has added 2 schools, both with 300+ RPI MBB teams.

Somehow this is Chapman's fault

99Bison
11-04-2010, 03:21 PM
13 football members... ugh yuck, what do you do with that. Unless of course montana's leave then it's not that horrible, but 11 is still a ton.

This means more than one team isn't playing Montana in FB every year.

met1990
11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
OK, dumb question. What are the benefits of having a conference travel partner for A) each school and B) the conference? For example, NDSU and SDSU are "travel partners" in the Summit. What difference does it make if its the XDSUs or NDSU and WIU, and SDSU and IPFW? It's not like NDSU and SDSU meet up at the airport and fly together to away games.

I'm only running on about 90 minutes of sleep and I've been listening to PA talk about Brad Childress and hockey all morning, so forgive me if the question is laughable...

Bison"FANatic"
11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
It is more a scheduling partner as you can get two games close together to decrease costs of travel between the two games. Kill two birds with one stone type of thing.

bisonmike2
11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
OK, dumb question. What are the benefits of having a conference travel partner for A) each school and B) the conference? For example, NDSU and SDSU are "travel partners" in the Summit. What difference does it make if its the XDSUs or NDSU and WIU, and SDSU and IPFW? It's not like NDSU and SDSU meet up at the airport and fly together to away games.

I'm only running on about 90 minutes of sleep and I've been listening to PA talk about Brad Childress and hockey all morning, so forgive me if the question is laughable...

I think, and I've been wrong before (just once) but it's more for visiting teams. They can come play us on a Thursday, then bus down to Brookings for another game to end the roadtrip on a Saturday. Obviously this doesn't work for football but most of the other sports.

zooropa
11-04-2010, 04:47 PM

Travel partner benefits:

2 games per weekend for soccer, volleyball, and basketball, except for the weekend that you play your travel partner.

Being able to bus from one travel partner to the other (e.g. fly to Sioux Falls, bus to Brookings, bus to Fargo, fly out of Fargo).

Essentially, an 'odd school out' like UND in the Big Sky & USD in the Summit, creates a weekend during the conference season that won't be fully utilized, requiring a non-conf make up game somewhere along the line.

It also means one round trip plane flight (for IUPUI, Oakland, IPFW at least) for only one conference game, increasing the aggregate cost per game.

Elephants Dream?
11-04-2010, 04:51 PM
In the last year Douple has ditched 2 schools 300+ RPI MBB teams, while Fullerton has added 2 schools, both with 300+ RPI MBB teams.

You seem to be forgetting there are many other sports involved
than just MBB.

zooropa
11-04-2010, 04:54 PM
You seem to be forgetting there are many other sports involved
than just MBB.

UND & SUU have lousy WBB programs, lousy soccer programs, mediocre VB programs, the only strengths are cross country at SUU and swim/dive at UND.

BisBison
11-05-2010, 01:38 AM
UND & SUU have lousy WBB programs, lousy soccer programs, mediocre VB programs, the only strengths are cross country at SUU and swim/dive at UND.

Too bad the Big Sky doesn't sponsor swim/dive. :D

zooropa
11-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Too bad the Big Sky doesn't sponsor swim/dive. :D

Don't they?

But 'they are one of the premier all sports conferences in the country', or so I read somewhere........ SiouxSports.com.......

coldspot
11-05-2010, 03:09 AM
Don't they?

But 'they are one of the premier all sports conferences in the country', or so I read somewhere........ SiouxSports.com.......

all sports*

* except swimming, diving, baseball, golf, wrestling, skiing, teh hockies

TbonZach
11-05-2010, 04:01 AM
all sports*

* except swimming, diving, baseball, golf, wrestling, skiing, teh hockies**

**Yet. UND will wield their position of strength and force the Big Fluffy to add these sports.

zooropa
11-05-2010, 04:30 AM
all sports*

* except swimming, diving, baseball, golf, wrestling, skiing, teh hockies

and maybe softball, or maybe not. UND thought they were adding softball, Montana State's AD had heard nothing about it.

And, thus, be glad that the xDSUs are where they are.... That is, in a conference where things like this would be discussed and settled ahead of time.

tony
11-05-2010, 04:34 AM
and maybe softball, or maybe not. UND thought they were adding softball, Montana State's AD had heard nothing about it.

And, thus, be glad that the xDSUs are where they are.... That is, in a conference where things like this would be discussed and settled ahead of time.

Before anybody gets too cocky, keep this in mind: :)

O Fortuna / O Fortune,
velut luna / like the moon
statu variabilis, / you are changeable,
semper crescis / ever waxing
aut decrescis / ever waning

-from the Carmina Burana

Elephants Dream?
11-05-2010, 05:57 AM

Keep in mind that the soo used to kick our asses in MBB & WBB
about half the time. Some members of this board have too short
of a memory, IMO. It's hard to recruit in the transition years.
Jones will probably get fired coming out of transition.
Roebuck may/may not retire at that time.
They won't stay doormats forever.

zooropa
11-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Before anybody gets too cocky

I think there's an instructive contrast between Douple and Fullerton. And if Douple hasn't been as aggressive about some things as we might like (media, primarily, IMO), at least he hasn't pulled the kind of blunders that Fullerton pulled on Monday:

- announce the acquisition of a school before that school has signed on the line

- announce that 'nobody's leaving' and then backtrack a few hours later

- announce the addition of a new sponsored sport that affects a number of schools and another conference (the Pacific Coast Conference), without informing presidents and ADs first.

And that's just what can be documented. Who's to say how USD, UND, and SUU were pitched to the presidents? Whether UND and USD were sold as a package deal.

Bison bison
11-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I can't see that UND and USD weren't pitched together.

They could have been added together if people would have kept their mouth shut.

Unfortunately for the Big Sky Fullerton is a loud-mouth (remember the talk about the SU's a few years back).

met1990
11-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Sources: Three teams to join WAC
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5789078

University of Denver, Texas-San Antonio and Texas State will join the WAC in 2012-13 to offset the departures of Boise State, Fresno State and Nevada to the Mountain West, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

Montana could also join the WAC in all sports, especially if the Grizzlies decide to bump up from FCS to FBS in football. Montana, a FCS power, is expected to make a decision in the next few weeks. If the Grizzlies decide against the move then Seattle would likely step in with all sports except football.

The WAC's perfect scenario, according to multiple sources, is to get to nine football schools, including Montana and 10 basketball schools.

Hammersmith
11-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Motana staying in Big Sky.

http://www.kpax.com/news/um-staying-in-big-sky-conference/

Hambone
11-11-2010, 05:20 PM

Well, that can't be right. Bison and Jack fans on here said they were gone for sure. I'm confused.....:confused:

Although the next line from you guys will be that they are only staying for another couple years, which is entirely possible......

CAS4127
11-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Well, that can't be right. Bison and Jack fans on here said they were gone for sure. I'm confused.....:confused:

Although the next line from you guys will be that they are only staying for another couple years, which is entirely possible......

We here on BV refuse to have a dialogue with you because your user icon and signature are racist--think MVFC/Summit!!

Hambone
11-11-2010, 05:29 PM
We here on BV refuse to have a dialogue with you because your user icon and signature are racist--think MVFC/Summit!!

Ummm, you just did have dialog with me. :confused: :D

zooropa
11-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Well, that can't be right. Bison and Jack fans on here said they were gone for sure.

They're gone. They'll spend the next few years getting things in place for a move, and then pffffft. Gone.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1106574/4046570

CAS4127
Ummm, you just did have dialog with me. :confused: :D

I know, so I could lead into the zing-whap ending! You ain't feelin so good about this Big Sky thing, we both no that.

Where'd you get that username btw?

bisonatrix

read the release from the school

http://montanagrizzlies.com/news/index.aspx?n=2010/114/9294&m=0

geez, what idiots to continue an instate rivalry. haven't NDSU and UND shown the world what a stupid idea it is to play your instate schools? WHY WON'T THE REST OF THE NCAA FOLLOW OUR BRILLIANT LEAD!!!!

coldspot
11-11-2010, 05:39 PM
read the release from the school

http://montanagrizzlies.com/news/index.aspx?n=2010/114/9294&m=0

geez, what idiots to continue an instate rivalry. haven't NDSU and UND shown the world what a stupid idea it is to play your instate schools? WHY WON'T THE REST OF THE NCAA FOLLOW OUR BRILLIANT LEAD!!!!

good question, ask the supreme beings to the north, theyre the ones that dont want to play.

Hambone
11-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I know, so I could lead into the zing-whap ending! You ain't feelin so good about this Big Sky thing, we both no that.

Where'd you get that username btw?

Actually, I'm excited about the Big Sky - mainly that our FB team has a home, as do most other sports (sad about baseball and softball as of now, but I think the S&D teams will still be competing in the Conference USA meet at the end of the year, although not as members). That said, I think the Summit / MVFC setup is pretty good as well - we'll have to see what happens in the future.

Username - just a nickname given to me by highschool friends - only about 5 people call me it. Has no relevance to my actual name or anything, so no good story as to how it came to be :)

CAS4127
11-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Actually, I'm excited about the Big Sky - mainly that our FB team has a home, as do most other sports (sad about baseball and softball as of now, but I think the S&D teams will still be competing in the Conference USA meet at the end of the year, although not as members). That said, I think the Summit / MVFC setup is pretty good as well - we'll have to see what happens in the future.

Username - just a nickname given to me by highschool friends - only about 5 people call me it. Has no relevance to my actual name or anything, so no good story as to how it came to be :)

I hear you on the bolded portion above!

I have a friend I call Hambone (don't see him that often anymore) who is a big Sioux fan--can't be same person, can it?

Hambone
11-11-2010, 05:46 PM
I hear you on the bolded portion above!

I have a friend I call Hambone (don't see him that often anymore) who is a big Sioux fan--can't be same person, can it?

Is that person originally from NW North Dakota? Now living in the Cities?

CAS4127
11-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Is that person originally from NW North Dakota? Now living in the Cities?

Nope, but hey. we tried. Living in the Cities?! Well, look at the bright side, you should be able to catch some flights to UND road games!!:D

Hambone
11-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Nope, but hey. we tried. Living in the Cities?! Well, look at the bright side, you should be able to catch some flights to UND road games!!:D

Like my flight to Missoula tomorrow :) Although the Sioux will probably lose, it's gonna be a lot of fun :nod:

CAS4127
11-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Like my flight to Missoula tomorrow :) Although the Sioux will definitely lose, it's gonna be a lot of fun :nod:

There, fixed that one up for you a little. Have fun--I think they sell beer at their Stadium.

NDSU_grad
11-11-2010, 06:11 PM

If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one would you think liked dolphins most? I'd say Flippy, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong though. It's Hambone.”

roadwarrior
11-11-2010, 06:40 PM
There, fixed that one up for you a little. Have fun--I think they sell beer at their Stadium.

No beer sales at Montana.

CAS4127
11-11-2010, 06:42 PM
No beer sales at Montana.

Oh, like YOU'VE have been there or something!!

Northern Colorado does--how's that?!!

roadwarrior
11-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Oh, like YOU'VE have been there or something!!

Northern Colorado does--how's that?!!

I'll drink to that!

bisonhusker
11-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Like my flight to Missoula tomorrow :) Although the Sioux will probably lose, it's gonna be a lot of fun :nod:

Probably? It will be a "Mess in Missoula." Make the tee shirts.