PDA

View Full Version : No reason for NDSU/UND FB game now.....

WYOBISONMAN
11-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Well, with one fell swoop the Big Sky conference has removed most of the incentive for UND to continue to beg NDSU for a football game. Now, as it stands, there is little incentive to renew the rivalry on any regular basis. Both schools will have limited OOC games each year and neither will want to tie one up with a rivalry game every year. I am perfectly OK with this.

Fast50Dad
11-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I think UNI would make a better rivalry than UND.

Go Bison!

overquota
11-02-2010, 01:10 PM
As usual you are correct. 100% correct. Lets only meet in the playoffs.

Facts
11-02-2010, 01:14 PM
UND has football?

aces1180
11-02-2010, 01:20 PM
UND has football?

Agreed...UND isn't getting close to the playoffs anytime soon.

Facts
11-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Agreed...UND isn't getting close to the playoffs anytime soon.

buthockey...:hide:

bisonfan11
11-02-2010, 01:40 PM
buthockey...:hide:

But NOT Men's Basketball. :D Men's Basketball is much more important than Hockey. We win!!

missingnumber7
11-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, with one fell swoop the Big Sky conference has removed most of the incentive for UND to continue to beg NDSU for a football game. Now, as it stands, there is little incentive to renew the rivalry on any regular basis. Both schools will have limited OOC games each year and neither will want to tie one up with a rivalry game every year. I am perfectly OK with this.

My name is missingnumber7 and I approve of this message.

missingnumber7
11-02-2010, 01:43 PM
butthockey...:hide:

That sounds gay.

bisonfan11
11-02-2010, 01:49 PM

I agree, plus one of our 3 OOC games is always going to be against a FBS opponent because we get real good guaranteed money from it (plus some sweet national exposure when we upset the FBS school). That leaves 2 more games that we COULD schedule UND. The problem is that one of those games we will more than likely schedule a weak team (for a home opener) and a stronger non-conference game. I still don't understand why the BSC is raving about UND when they will always be the #2 school in North Dakota when it comes to football and basketball. It's not like UND's hockey team is going to play in the BSC as well. Don't get me wrong, I think we play in the very BEST football conference in the nation. Normally the BSC is Montana and then every body else. But I do know that we had serious interest in the BSC and they shot us down. I just don't get it, maybe the fact that we beat Montana left a sour taste in the BSC, so they were too scared to allow NDSU to join...oh well.

Thunder_Struck
11-02-2010, 02:02 PM
The reason why NDSU and SDSU where not invited to the Big Sky is that the Western schools in the Big Sky did not want it. This time those same schools didn't want it, but Montana was holding a trump card (WAC invite). Montana had some leverage and used it.

HerdBot
11-02-2010, 02:27 PM

I'm starting to agree with you. I would love to play the game but it's just not very realistic. Both schools will have new rivalries anyway...
Once every so often is better than never.

HerdBot
11-02-2010, 02:28 PM
The reason why NDSU and SDSU where not invited to the Big Sky is that the Western schools in the Big Sky did not want it. This time those same schools didn't want it, but Montana was holding a trump card (WAC invite). Montana had some leverage and used it.

Plus they were not going to do 2 split divisions back then

bisonfan11
11-02-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm starting to agree with you. I would love to play the game but it's just not very realistic. Both schools will have new rivalries anyway...
Once every so often is better than never.

Think of it this way. Iowa and Iowa State play each other each year, however University of Iowa fans don't care as much about the Iowa/Iowa State game as they do the Minnesota/Iowa game. Now that UND is in another conference that takes away the "luster" of the UND/NDSU game (plus right now UND doesn't look like much of a FCS team as of yet). Plus from what I read on Siouxsports.com either the Sioux accepted the Big Sky invite or be left with out a conference home (because the MVC did not offer an invitation to UND). I am happy that UND wasn't invited to the MVC because that would only water down the MVC, not make it a stronger conference.

stevdock
11-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Don't we need a home cupcake though every year?? They fill the cupcake part, now if they would consent to playing us in Fargo every year, I think we could make it happen still.

If they don't consent, well then just like the rest of you have said, we don't need them and they really don't need us much anymore either.

IndyBison
11-02-2010, 03:06 PM
UND will get better. They have strong alumni support and a history of successful athletic programs.

I thought it was a good move for NDSU to go to the conferences they did because it exposes them at least somewhat in markets that are hot recruiting markets. UND going to the Big Sky takes them in opposite directions. It seems like that will make it harder but we'll have to see.

Contrary to popular belief, Fargo and Grand Forks are not exactly hot spots for recruits to consider. If I'm a decent athlete in Illinois or Wisconsin, would I rather play for a school that has a decent percentage of their road games relatively close to my home town or do I want to play games in places like Idaho, Montana, and Utah? It probably doesn't affect the Minnesota or Dakota recruits much at all.

lakesbison
11-02-2010, 03:09 PM
It effects them big time (_if u see.this post )
Ndsu will own these kids, as we.do now, that's why und.usd left, they couldn't out recruit
_zero reason to play them.

NorthernBison
11-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Gene's first call when Georgia Southern was to Faison. That is a clear indication that there has been direction given to get them on the schedule. That is the opposite of what the direction was under the Chapman Administration.

I don't believe this will ever turn into an every year game. Maybe every other year or a contract to play 4 times in 8 years or something like that.

There is a strong likelihood that the BSC and the MVFC will continue to leave early season dates open for their teams to schedule OOC so there should be dates that match up for both schools. Not every year but often enough.

Lakes is right. We will OWN them. It is now our turn to beat them consistently. After all, they bitch slapped us regularly for the last decade we played them in DII. Talk about Ownage. I remember getting beat damn near every year for a very long time. Let's turn that one around.

SDbison
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Gene's first call when Georgia Southern was to Faison. That is a clear indication that there has been direction given to get them on the schedule. That is the opposite of what the direction was under the Chapman Administration.

I don't believe this will ever turn into an every year game. Maybe every other year or a contract to play 4 times in 8 years or something like that.

There is a strong likelihood that the BSC and the MVFC will continue to leave early season dates open for their teams to schedule OOC so there should be dates that match up for both schools. Not every year but often enough.

Lakes is right. We will OWN them. It is now our turn to beat them consistently. After all, they bitch slapped us regularly for the last decade we played them in DII. Talk about Ownage. I remember getting beat damn near every year for a very long time. Let's turn that one around.
and NDSU beat UND every year for 12 or 13 years in a row prior to that.

Jim Puetz
11-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Wouldn't UND be considered an easy non-conference game? Similar to a Wagner or Central Connecticut.

NorthernBison
11-02-2010, 03:48 PM
SDBison, I remember those years too. Precisely my point regarding turning this thing around.

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 04:09 PM
SDBison, I remember those years too. Precisely my point regarding turning this thing around.

Well, I happen to remember those years too. I say let's get NDSU FB into the playoffs year after year, win some or several national championships, and don't even bother playing the sewage. Let them finish low to mid range in BSC year after year while we are a dominating force in FCS football. For me, that would be perfect, and would eliminate completely even the remote chance of them getting lucky and beating us. Let's do our thing, and let them do theirs.

SDbison
11-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Well, I happen to remember those years too. I say let's get NDSU FB into the playoffs year after year, win some or several national championships, and don't even bother playing the sewage. Let them finish low to mid range in BSC year after year while we are a dominating force in FCS football. For me, that would be perfect, and would eliminate completely even the remote chance of them getting lucky and beating us. Let's do our thing, and let them do theirs.
Amen, Amen

bisonfan11
11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Wouldn't UND be considered an easy non-conference game? Similar to a Wagner or Central Connecticut.

As long as NDSU doesn't over look the Sue, yeah it should be an easy game. I just worry that NDSU would be too cocky and let UND play better than they actually are.

DjKyRo
11-02-2010, 04:18 PM

This has been my take for a while. As is, they're the cupcake. I'll take them over an Austin Peay or Savannah State, but not at the expense of Minneosta, Colorado St., etc. Fortunately it looks like we wouldn't need to lose those games.

UTH
11-02-2010, 04:18 PM
In election season parlance, I would like to call this piece of news a "Mandate". The conferences have spoken, and any hope to renew head-to-head competition is gone. It is now time for the last of the holdouts to move on and embrace the excitement of the intensifying rivalry with the entire State of South Dakota. After this week's game, the obvious reality will become clear and apparent to all of Bisonville.

I am UTH and I approve this thread.

Abandon all hope ye who enter here*
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/xsk8r4lifex/people/100_3058.jpg

*those who want to continue living in the past, anyway:nod:

bisonmike2
11-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Agreed, there is no incentive for UND to continue to beg us for a game once they get into the Big Sky. But watch them turn this around on us and continue to blame NDSU if we don't meet on a consistent basis. Not that it is a big deal. I'd like for it to happen but I'm not going to get too upset if we dont' play them.

Dabison
11-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Where will they recruit? I hear talk about recruiting the west with other Big Sky teams but how will they get them over all the others. As for ND, MN, WI, SD recruits who in their right mind pick to play at UND? I see this move in the long hull hurting their football program especially the way the Big Sky is being watered down with their additions and already poor teams.

No doubt they needed a conference but I think the trigger was pulled too soon.

As for the game between the two... I hope it comes back but like everyone else it'll have to be every other year or so. Unless there's a way to make it happen more often. It's a great game for the schools and the state. I can't wait to see the Bison mop up the Siouxage someday. Bring back the Nickel to NDSU!

NorthernBison
11-02-2010, 04:21 PM

I wish it were that simple. WE really don't get to decide. I think there is support for two schools to meet on the football field that comes from the respective President's offices and has been passed to the AD's. I'm pretty sure that BOTH schools have been told to "play nice" and "get along" or there will be consequences. I have no illusions that Bresciani is well aware that NDSU goodwill in Bismarck is pretty low right now. No "boat rocking" in the near future.

That said, the MVFC does have a need to win some games against other conferences to solidify playoff spots. If that means handing the Big Sky an OOC loss, why not indulge them?

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I wish it were that simple. WE really don't get to decide. I think there is support for two schools to meet on the football field that comes from the respective President's offices and has been passed to the AD's. I'm pretty sure that BOTH schools have been told to "play nice" and "get along" or there will be consequences. I have no illusions that Bresciani is well aware that NDSU goodwill in Bismarck is pretty low right now. No "boat rocking" in the near future.

That said, the MVFC does have a need to win some games against other conferences to solidify playoff spots. If that means handing the Big Sky an OOC loss, why not indulge them?

That (support) starts from the fanbase of ND and moves up to the Presidents through various means--no need for Bison fans to be a part of that.

NorthernBison
11-02-2010, 04:40 PM
That (support) starts from the fanbase of ND and moves up to the Presidents through various means--no need for Bison fans to be a part of that.

Bison and Sioux fans are all over the board on this. Some violently oppose playing. Others strongly favor it. Most of the rest have pretty mixed feelings on the subject. Then there are the people who don't really follow either school but still paid attention when they played.

We really aren't any different here in ND than they are in other states where rivalries exist. That's why it will happen eventually.

KilldeerBison
11-02-2010, 05:05 PM

I thought that it came from the ND legislature.

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 05:15 PM
I thought that it came from the ND legislature.

Legislators--possibly portion of ND fanbase. Legislator's constituents--definetly large portion of ND fanbase. Bison fans--portion of many Legislator's constituents. I'll let one of BV's accountants do the math.

WYOBISONMAN
11-02-2010, 05:27 PM
It effects them big time (_if u see.this post )
Ndsu will own these kids, as we.do now, that's why und.usd left, they couldn't out recruit
_zero reason to play them.

Bull.....reality says they went to the Sky because it offered them a home for football, not because of recruiting competition.

WYOBISONMAN
11-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Absolutely, and that was the point of my thread......no reason for this game for either party now.

DjKyRo
11-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm not one of those violently in favor of or opposed to playing the Siouxage, but I love that there's enough vitriol between the two to warrant that kind of response from some people. Granted they act like idiots most of the time but that hatred is what fuels a great football rivalry.

Trampled
11-02-2010, 05:38 PM
With a weaker conference, UND's chances of making playoffs should be higher than ours. It is very likely that Montana could have a down year and then who is there? With the MVC every year will be tough.

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Absolutely, and that was the point of my thread......no reason for this game for either party now.

I hear you--I was responding to another post. My guess, however, is that the sewage would like to have this game, which is just one more reason for us not to schedule it!

aces1180
11-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I was one who never wanted the game to end (thanks UND) and have coveted a meeting as soon as possible (win or lose for the Bison). The excitement and hype for the game is second to none and is worth the crap involved with it if NDSU loses.

THEsocalledfan
11-02-2010, 05:47 PM

No reason?

I come on this board and hear about tradition. The national titles, the NCC titles, that tradition of great facilities, fan base, coaches, players, etc. But THE rivalry is not part of that tradition? Yes, new traditions get created, but traditions don't get forgotten.

From a conference standpoint, I agree with WYO, but tradition is clearly the reason to play them. Further, that "lack" of tradition has already gotten them in hot water in Bismarck (SOMETHING I PREDICTED YEARS AGO AND WAS RIDICULED OVER ON THIS BOARD) and will continue to do so unless something is worked out. I suspect the politicians could be satisfied on an every other year or more basis, but likely that is it.

This is the reason I was so dismayed with Summit in how they handled UND. They have now potentially guarenteed we do not have firm resolution of this issue for some time. (Really wonder if the Big Sky would have come calling if both USD and UND already in Summit.......maybe, maybe not and would have pushed Summit harder on football.)

Gully
11-02-2010, 05:50 PM
The vast majority of Bison fans I know do NOT want to play UND. This is great news!

All we need to look out for is adding a team or two to the Summit in case we happen to lose more teams....which I really don't think is likely.

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 06:11 PM
No reason?

I come on this board and hear about tradition. The national titles, the NCC titles, that tradition of great facilities, fan base, coaches, players, etc. But THE rivalry is not part of that tradition? Yes, new traditions get created, but traditions don't get forgotten.

From a conference standpoint, I agree with WYO, but tradition is clearly the reason to play them. Further, that "lack" of tradition has already gotten them in hot water in Bismarck (SOMETHING I PREDICTED YEARS AGO AND WAS RIDICULED OVER ON THIS BOARD) and will continue to do so unless something is worked out. I suspect the politicians could be satisfied on an every other year or more basis, but likely that is it.

This is the reason I was so dismayed with Summit in how they handled UND. They have now potentially guarenteed we do not have firm resolution of this issue for some time. (Really wonder if the Big Sky would have come calling if both USD and UND already in Summit.......maybe, maybe not and would have pushed Summit harder on football.)

I now know the basis for your moniker/username--you are a closet UND're

THEsocalledfan
11-02-2010, 07:27 PM
I now know the basis for your moniker/username--you are a closet UND're

CAS, you met me in person; you know I am no such thing. However, I have felt passionate about this since NDSU moved up. I certainly understood not playing early on, but not any more. We have stooped to their level and I am hopeful the new President is going to fix this. (If he doesn't, Bismarck will.....)

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 07:33 PM
CAS, you met me in person; you know I am no such thing. However, I have felt passionate about this since NDSU moved up. I certainly understood not playing early on, but not any more. We have stooped to their level and I am hopeful the new President is going to fix this. (If he doesn't, Bismarck will.....)

The jury is out--sorry. My bet: When we finally play them, you come wearin their colors.

THEsocalledfan
11-02-2010, 07:49 PM
The jury is out--sorry. My bet: When we finally play them, you come wearin their colors.

TAB, will you please assure CAS that I am not a Truck fan? Is anyone who wants to play the Trucks a Truck fan in CAS's world? (yes, I know you are just trying to have a little fun at my expense.....)

KilldeerBison
11-02-2010, 07:52 PM

This is the very reason I don't respect UND, if/when they don't get their way, they cry to Bismarck. Always the threat of legislators making NDSU do what UND wants, a real turn off.

lakesbison
11-02-2010, 07:53 PM
End This Please>

No Und, Never Again!! Woo Hoo!!

THEsocalledfan
11-02-2010, 07:54 PM
This is the very reason I don't respect UND, if/when they don't get their way, they cry to Bismarck. Always the threat of legislators making NDSU do what UND wants, a real turn off.

Now, I will agree with this, but I do find it comical how everyone who made fun of me saying this would happen are now no where to be found......

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 07:56 PM

KDB: Agreed.

By Socalled:
TAB, will you please assure CAS that I am not a Truck fan? Is anyone who wants to play the Trucks a Truck fan in CAS's world? (yes, I know you are just trying to have a little fun at my expense.....)

Socalled: First, Trust TAB? Never ! Fun at your expense--or anyone elses (including my own)--also NEVER!!:D

KilldeerBison
11-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Now, I will agree with this, but I do find it comical how everyone who made fun of me saying this would happen are now no where to be found......

Marco.... Polo! :paperbag:

missingnumber7
11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
No reason?

The issue I have with the bolded is that as it stands now there are 4 FB members in the summit, with UXD's that makes 6. But then again it would only be 5 because SUU was going to leave anyway. It wasn't a long term solution, and leaving the MVFC isn't an option for something call strength of conference...so Summit football makes no where near the same product...and this is hilarious that it is somehow NDSU's fault that we didn't get the Summit to do football...I think its Roger Thomas's fault that UND didn't go D1 when we did.

cyborgg
11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
As long as NDSU doesn't over look the Sue, yeah it should be an easy game. I just worry that NDSU would be too cocky and let UND play better than they actually are.

FBS teams are in the same position when they schedule NDSU but they still do it. You make yourself look small and petty when you want FBS teams to schedule you then you don't want to play a rival because you're worried about losing a game every now and then.

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 08:21 PM
FBS teams are in the same position when they schedule NDSU but they still do it. You make yourself look small and petty when you want FBS teams to schedule you then you don't want to play a rival because you're worried about losing a game every now and then.

At least we have to make ourselves look that way, as opposed to actually being that way in the grand scheme of things--both figuritively and literally!!

Ya, I know the line that's comin: "Yabut, we have Hockey!" Response: Who cares?!

THEsocalledfan
11-02-2010, 08:22 PM
The issue I have with the bolded is that as it stands now there are 4 FB members in the summit, with UXD's that makes 6. But then again it would only be 5 because SUU was going to leave anyway. It wasn't a long term solution, and leaving the MVFC isn't an option for something call strength of conference...so Summit football makes no where near the same product...and this is hilarious that it is somehow NDSU's fault that we didn't get the Summit to do football...I think its Roger Thomas's fault that UND didn't go D1 when we did.

Who said it was NDSU's fault that Summit didn't do football? I sure didn't and if you construed my comments that way, you are not getting the point. Futher, I fully agree that RT and Kuppy are to blame for most of the problems.

As for long term Summit stability, I blame the Summit for all the Summit problems.....

56BISON73
11-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Think of it this way. Iowa and Iowa State play each other each year, however University of Iowa fans don't care as much about the Iowa/Iowa State game as they do the Minnesota/Iowa game. Now that UND is in another conference that takes away the "luster" of the UND/NDSU game (plus right now UND doesn't look like much of a FCS team as of yet). Plus from what I read on Siouxsports.com either the Sioux accepted the Big Sky invite or be left with out a conference home (because the MVC did not offer an invitation to UND). I am happy that UND wasn't invited to the MVC because that would only water down the MVC, not make it a stronger conference.

IMO I think you are a little misguided in these thoughts.
I would get 4-5 hundred for 2 tickets to the ISU game as opposed to 2-3 hundred for MN.
The MN game is is a good rivalry but not close to the ISU game. Plus Iowa would invade the baggie because there were so many easy tickets to come by and it is a pretty short drive for many fans to travel to.
The MN rivalry doesnt compare to ISU.

I find it funny that some now think that the rivalry game shouldnt be played because UND is now going to be in a different conference. If anything with them playing in the BSC it should make it even more intense. Not only do you have the school vs school angle you also now have MVFBC vs BSC on who is stronger. Games like these are played every year by other schools with great fan fare. But for some reason some here just want to dismiss it out of hand. I guess they like playing the Morgan states that dont mean squat.

cyborgg
11-03-2010, 12:38 AM
I would get 4-5 hundred for 2 tickets to the ISU game as opposed to 2-3 hundred for MN.
The MN game is is a good rivalry but not close to the ISU game. Plus Iowa would invade the baggie because there were so many easy tickets to come by and it is a pretty short drive for many fans to travel to.
The MN rivalry doesnt compare to ISU.

I find it funny that some now think that the rivalry game shouldnt be played because UND is now going to be in a different conference. If anything with them playing in the BSC it should make it even more intense. Not only do you have the school vs school angle you also now have MVFBC vs BSC on who is stronger. Games like these are played every year by other schools with great fan fare. But for some reason some here just want to dismiss it out of hand. I guess they like playing the Morgan states that dont mean squat.

ISU Iowa is huge no matter what Iowa fans try to say. You know it's a big rivalry when the other side says they don't care but they talk about you every day.

NorthernBison
11-03-2010, 12:52 AM
ISU Iowa is huge no matter what Iowa fans try to say. You know it's a big rivalry when the other side says they don't care but they talk about you every day.

Wow! You have no idea how that last comment nailed it.

UTH
11-03-2010, 02:14 AM

Maybe... This is true because ISU is the best football in the area and has the biggest, baddest, and awesomest fan base around. With that in mind, it would be easy to understand how ISU travels so well, thereby doubling the value of your tickets.:p

Just a thought.;)

bisonatrix
11-03-2010, 09:07 AM

i'm sorry, but does everybody really get up for Wagner? Or Central Connecticut? Austin Peay? Murray State?

we're always scrambling at the last minute to fill some last second dinky ass team in when one is 70 miles to the north and a whole lot more fun to kick ass on. whatever happened to "Bring on the Competition"! that's what we're signing up for?

Fwiw-taylor wants to do it, tried to fill in UND when GSU cancelled. so half or more of this is on the dumbasses up north. eventually it will happen. at least theyll play non-conference in all other sports.

Bisonguy
11-03-2010, 11:09 AM
i'm sorry, but does everybody really get up for Wagner? Or Central Connecticut? Austin Peay? Murray State?

we're always scrambling at the last minute to fill some last second dinky ass team in when one is 70 miles to the north and a whole lot more fun to kick ass on. whatever happened to "Bring on the Competition"! that's what we're signing up for?

Fwiw-taylor wants to do it, tried to fill in UND when GSU cancelled. so half or more of this is on the dumbasses up north. eventually it will happen. at least theyll play non-conference in all other sports.

Taylor's already tried three times to have the football game since we've moved to DI. The issue definitely has not been on our end.

tony
11-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Taylor's already tried three times to have the football game since we've moved to DI. The issue definitely has not been on our end.

Not sure how bisonatrix would not know this fact already.

That said, the same reasons exist for having the game as there ever were.

missingnumber7
11-03-2010, 01:38 PM

In my mind it all goes on RT and Kupchella...they said they weren't going to play us, I hate to hold a grudge, but if you want to pin it on someone it goes on them. And none of the new regime at UND has attempted to make a change or apoligize for RT's lunacy.

Da Bison
11-03-2010, 01:47 PM
In my mind it all goes on RT and Kupchella...they said they weren't going to play us, I hate to hold a grudge, but if you want to pin it on someone it goes on them. And none of the new regime at UND has attempted to make a change or apoligize for RT's lunacy.

++ This ++

THEsocalledfan
11-03-2010, 05:45 PM

100% on the money. Als the reason I worship the group the Tatanka walks on as he did more to demonize these two, for being two of the biggest morons ever, than all the rest of us will be able to do in our lifetime.

bisonatrix
11-04-2010, 06:41 PM
End This Please>

No Und, Never Again!! Woo Hoo!!

You do realize they are going to keep playing in the other sports aside from football right? sorry to disappoint you but they figure those games draw a tad better than the battles with Jamestown and Mayville State.