PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Prognostication week 9

X-Factor
10-30-2010, 11:16 PM
The Bison received a LOT of help this week in the playoff hunt.

Teams that lost:

Furman (4-4)
James Madison (4-4)
Montana(6-3) They have a win over a DII so that sets them back a lot today. Lose the Brawl of the Wild and they stay home for the first time in eons.
South Dakota State (4-5) Out of playoff hunt, as is ISU-B with only 3 DI victories to date. ISU-B has a very outside chance of winning the autobid however.
Chattanooga (5-3) They have a date with #1 Appy next week
Georgia Southern (4-4) Sweet revenge after hearing they bought us out. You're staying home for T-giving GSU. Take that pansies
Richmond (4-4)

N. Arizona (4-3) is down 21-0 to Sac State.

This year is shaping up to have a few 7-4 teams make it, although a 7-4 Valley team making it is still unlikely

Tatanka
10-30-2010, 11:19 PM

Teams that lost:

Furman (4-4)
James Madison (4-4)

Montana(6-3) They have a win over a DII so that sets them back a lot today. Lose the Brawl of the Wild and they stay home for the first time in eons. How AWESOME would that be?

South Dakota State (4-5) Out of playoff hunt, as is ISU-B with only 3 DI victories to date. ISU-B has a very outside chance of winning the autobid however.
Georgia Southern (4-4) Sweet revenge after hearing they bought us out. You're staying home for T-giving GSU. Take that pansies
Richmond (4-4)

This year is shaping up to have a few 7-4 teams make it, although a 7-4 Valley team making it is still unlikely

:eek: :eek:

bisonatrix
10-30-2010, 11:21 PM

Teams that lost:

Furman (4-4)
James Madison (4-4)
Montana(6-3) They have a win over a DII so that sets them back a lot today. Lose the Brawl of the Wild and they stay home for the first time in eons.
Richmond (4-4)

Uh oh Bisonville......

....so would it be in our best interest to ROOT for the Suzies to pull off a titanic upset in Missoula in two weeks?????

X-Factor
10-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Possible Autobids

Montana St. -B Sky
Liberty - B South
Delaware - CAA
Bethune Cookman - MEAC
UNI - MVFC
Robert Morris - NEC
Jacksonville State - OVC
Lehigh - Patriot
Appy - Southern
SFA - Southland

10 possible at-large bids

Eastern Washington - B Sky
W&M - CAA
Wofford - Southern
Villanova -CAA
UNH - CAA
Southeast Missouri State
UMASS - CAA
Western Illinois - MVFC
NDSU - a lock if 8 wins, still very much a possibility with 7 wins
Furman - Southern

DjKyRo
10-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Uh oh Bisonville......

....so would it be in our best interest to ROOT for the Suzies to pull off a titanic upset in Missoula in two weeks?????

It would be in our best interest to root for a violation of the rules of the game whereby both teams lose. :)

NDSUstudent
10-30-2010, 11:29 PM
:eek: :eek:

They gave up 259 on the ground, everyone here is familiar with their D-Cord...

bisonatrix
10-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Possible Autobids

Montana St. -B Sky
Liberty - B South
Delaware - CAA
Bethune Cookman - MEAC
UNI - MVFC
Robert Morris - NEC
Jacksonville State - OVC
Lehigh - Patriot
Appy - Southern
SFA - Southland

10 possible at-large bids

Eastern Washington - B Sky
W&M - CAA
Wofford - Southern
Villanova -CAA
UNH - CAA
Southeast Missouri State
UMASS - CAA
Western Illinois - MVFC
NDSU - a lock if 8 wins, still very much a possibility with 7 wins
Furman - Southern

The MVC with three bids? Highly doubtful. My guess is 8-3 would get Montana in, and we kinda needed MSU to lose as well to set up a loser out in the brawl of the wild. Montana State and Eastern are virtual playoff locks now. FCS bends over backward to get Montana home playoff games so they can turn a profit on them. And wow, 5 bids for the CAA? 9 is the perfect number my ass.....

Tatanka
10-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Uh oh Bisonville......

I hope they lose before then so I don't even have to consider that as a possibility. :hide:

bisonatrix
10-30-2010, 11:48 PM
I hope they lose before then so I don't even have to consider that as a possibility. :hide:

Montana is off next week then hosts UND and MSU

Tatanka
10-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Montana is off next week then hosts UND and MSU

Well then I hope IDLE kicks their ass. UND isn't fit to hold the Griz' jockstraps, but I will have a good laugh either way that week.

:blush:

X-Factor
10-30-2010, 11:59 PM
The CAA deserves that many bids. And as weak as the MVFC is this year, a lot of other conferences will have trouble getting teams to the 7DI win mark. An 8-3 Montana easily makes the playoffs, a 7-4 Montana absolutely does not. I think they lose the Brawl of the Wild and beat UND, hence 7-4.

Mandan_Herd_Fan
10-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Would a 7-4 CAA team get in over a 8-3 Valley team?

Tatanka
10-31-2010, 12:08 AM
The CAA deserves that many bids. And as weak as the MVFC is this year, a lot of other conferences will have trouble getting teams to the 7DI win mark. An 8-3 Montana easily makes the playoffs, a 7-4 Montana absolutely does not. I think they lose the Brawl of the Wild and beat UND, hence 7-4.

I think they would likely be the first 7-4 team in, if any get in, due to the lifetime achievement award they continually ride into the top of the polls. Now if UND was to somehow beat them :rofl: Ok I can't even finish that sentence.

HandoEX
10-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Last week, the MVFC was the second highest rated conference according to GPI. 3 MVFC teams is a very decent possibility, especially if NDSU is the third team.

Mandan_Herd_Fan
10-31-2010, 12:18 AM
I think they would likely be the first 7-4 team in, if any get in, due to the lifetime achievement award they continually ride into the top of the polls. Now if UND was to somehow beat them :rofl: Ok I can't even finish that sentence.

One of the Griz wins was a DII, so they have to win out to be 8-3 to become eligible.

bisonatrix
10-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Well then I hope IDLE kicks their ass. UND isn't fit to hold the Griz' jockstraps, but I will have a good laugh either way that week.

:blush:

I'm sure their fans were saying that about us in 2003. This might be the weakest Montana team since then (both that year and this year they had new coaches, so that probably plays a part). For Montana all the pressure is on them.

That said I dont see it either.

bisonatrix
10-31-2010, 12:34 AM
One of the Griz wins was a DII, so they have to win out to be 8-3 to become eligible.

Weber State is actually in the mix now too. Although they, believe it or not, opened with a lost at Boston College, and close at Texas Tech. Ouch.

If selection committees were both done just via computer Montana would be in trouble....but committees are people. My guess is they would still take a 7-4 Montana on name alone. Though it would be interesting to see what would happen if Montana declared their intent to go to the WAC in the next month. Perhaps the committee would be more apt to keep them out if they did so as an F you of sorts....

EndZoneQB
10-31-2010, 12:36 AM
Weber State is actually in the mix now too. Although they, believe it or not, opened with a lost at Boston College, and close at Texas Tech. Ouch.

If selection committees were both done just via computer Montana would be in trouble....but committees are people. My guess is they would still take a 7-4 Montana on name alone. Though it would be interesting to see what would happen if Montana declared their intent to go to the WAC in the next month. Perhaps the committee would be more apt to keep them out if they did so as an F you of sorts....

If they are 7-4 and one of their wins is a non-counter...which would make them 6-4...and not eligible...no?

roadwarrior
10-31-2010, 12:40 AM
The Griz are currently 5-3 against D-I opponents, with UND and Montana State remaining, both home games.
They beat Western State to start the season.

Tatanka
10-31-2010, 12:42 AM
The Griz are currently 5-3 against D-I opponents, with UND and Montana State remaining, both home games.
They beat Western State to start the season.

Well then. They have to win both.

ndsubison1
10-31-2010, 01:05 AM

http://preaprez.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/nelson_ha_ha.jpg

bisonatrix
10-31-2010, 02:07 AM
Well then. They have to win both.

I'm not so sure. like you said, Montana does get the lifetime achievement award (good line btw). at the end of the day its like the NCAA Hoops tournament-that committee is supposed to use RPI and other computer based things, but they still play favorites. ironically this is one case where not having a computer rankings system ala the BCS would hurt in the FCS.

Tatanka
10-31-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm not so sure. like you said, Montana does get the lifetime achievement award (good line btw). at the end of the day its like the NCAA Hoops tournament-that committee is supposed to use RPI and other computer based things, but they still play favorites. ironically this is one case where not having a computer rankings system ala the BCS would hurt in the FCS.

But a six win team? really?

clenz
10-31-2010, 02:20 AM

That six win team brought in roughly 55% of the playoff revenue for the NCAA last season.

Tatanka
10-31-2010, 02:23 AM
That six win team brought in roughly 55% of the playoff revenue for the NCAA last season.

Well, then. That's worth, oh, wait, nothing unless there's full on shenanigans at work.

TransAmBison
10-31-2010, 02:26 AM
Well, then. That's worth, oh, wait, nothing unless there's full on shenanigans at work.
Shenanigans...is that still open? You know, the one right next to the Ralph?

MN_BISON
10-31-2010, 02:26 AM

I don't think that will fly but could you imagine the shitstorm if they let the Griz in with 6 DI wins and left out a 7 or 8 win team. Whoever got screwed would go wild and unleash some pretty nasty hell fire on the asshats that pulled that crap.

By the way, why in the name of college football am I having to watch OSU beat the hell out of the Gooophers when I could be watching the Ducks? (I know, wrong thread, but good god ABC!)

DjKyRo
10-31-2010, 02:40 AM
A team like James Madison is the type we need to worry about - middle-of-the-pack as far as the CAA goes but they've got the credentials for an at-large bid in their victory over a ranked FBS team. Perfect scenario - NDSU goes 3-0 in their next 3 to finish 8-3. An FBS win regardless is huge, but that FBS team beat ranked Georgia Tech (if they look that far, which I don't think they do). Also beat a ranked USD team that also has an FBS win. Not many 7- or 8-win FCS teams can boast the same.

Right now there are 21 teams ranked ahead of us (according to the coaches' poll) and we need all ten of those to get the AQ (thus meaning more at-large spots available). We definitely outperform the credentials of some of the teams ahead of us - you can't tell me 5-3 Cal Poly (ranked ahead of us, with non-con wins over a D-II school, Montana, and currently close with 1-7 St. Francis) matches what NDSU has done this season. Montana losing would be huge.

8-3 is a lock, 7-3 is an outside shot but still very possible.

bisoneer
10-31-2010, 02:43 AM
Uh oh Bisonville......

Oh yeah, any time the Grizz lose that is a good thing even if the siox do it to it.

BraxtonT
10-31-2010, 04:05 AM
And wow, 5 bids for the CAA? 9 is the perfect number my ass.....

I agree 100%, as I've been saying this for a while. Too many would rather see the MV beat the hell out of each other and have everyone end up with 3+ conference losses, because that is the best way to do it. Bull. The CAA way is the way to go and the Big Sky seized the opportunity to do the same thing. The MV had the UxDs in their back pocket and threw them away like annoying pieces of lint. No foresight, the MV will be kicking themselves for this in the coming years.

4mcruenomore
10-31-2010, 04:30 AM
You all know, that everybody loves teh Griz. Even with 3 wins, they will make the playoffs before us. I am afraid, if we win out, we will get screwed.

EndZoneQB
10-31-2010, 04:40 AM
I agree 100%, as I've been saying this for a while. Too many would rather see the MV beat the hell out of each other and have everyone end up with 3+ conference losses, because that is the best way to do it. Bull. The CAA way is the way to go and the Big Sky seized the opportunity to do the same thing. The MV had the UxDs in their back pocket and threw them away like annoying pieces of lint. No foresight, the MV will be kicking themselves for this in the coming years.

This conference shake up isn't over yet. Don't count the MVFC out from stealing USD just yet. Stranger things have happened....and USD is supposedly withholding their announcement(if there is one). There has to be something the public doesn't know yet.

DIBISON
10-31-2010, 05:33 AM

Bull sh........

BraxtonT
10-31-2010, 06:15 AM
This conference shake up isn't over yet. Don't count the MVFC out from stealing USD just yet. Stranger things have happened....and USD is supposedly withholding their announcement(if there is one). There has to be something the public doesn't know yet.

I hope it plays out this way.

BraxtonT
10-31-2010, 06:24 AM
Bull sh........

Well, that's serious sh....

I'll rep you, DI, if you can name the movie where that comeback was said.

Playoff selections in the coming years will be the only way to know who's right and wrong.

IzzyFlexion
10-31-2010, 12:41 PM

55%? Is that true?
That is staggering, if so.
Further, I know that the NCAA has historically done some things that appear corrupt, but even a 3rd grader would be able to smell the stink on a move like that. (putting in a 6 win Montana team)

mgbison
10-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Then they should put NDSU in with 7 wins for sure. We would sellout the playoff game and probably outbid almost anyone (except maybe Montana or Appy).

EndZoneQB
10-31-2010, 05:00 PM
55%? Is that true?
That is staggering, if so.
Further, I know that the NCAA has historically done some things that appear corrupt, but even a 3rd grader would be able to smell the stink on a move like that. (putting in a 6 win Montana team)

FCS playoffs brought in 2 million in revenue last year...Montana made 1.2 million of that.

NDSUstudent
10-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Autobids
Big Sky-EWU
Big South-Liberty
CAA-W&M
MEAC-BCU
MVFC-UNI
NEC-RMU
OVC-JSU
PL-Lehigh
SoCon-App St
SLC-SFA

At-Large
Montana St
Cal Poly
Villanova
Delaware
UMASS
WIU
NDSU
SEMO
Wofford
SC St

Round 1
Robert Morris @ SC St
Cal Poly @ NDSU
Lehigh @ UMASS
Wofford at Bethune Cookman

Round 2
SC St/RMU @ #1 App St
Liberty vs William and Mary

Cal Poly/NDSU @ #4 EWU
WIU @ SFA

Wofford/Bethune Cookman @#2 JSU
SEMO @ UNI

Lehigh/UMass @ #3 Delaware
Villanova @ Montana St

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
10-31-2010, 07:01 PM
MSU is going to be a really tough game, they have improved alot! but i say if we beat SIU by at least 10 we can go 3-0 in these last 3 games. Playoffs...NATIONAL TITLE!!!:nod:

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
10-31-2010, 09:10 PM

And everybody picked SDSU to finish 2nd in the conference! HAHA!

KilldeerBison
10-31-2010, 09:35 PM

That's the MVFC for you! I like NDSU's chances if we clean-up our game and finish healthy.

ndsubison1
11-01-2010, 01:55 AM

Here were my predictions b4 the season:

1. SIU :o
2. ISU :o
3. NDSU :D
4. UNI
5. SDSU :)
6. YSU
7. Indiana St.
8. Missouri St.
9. WIU :o

:p

Bisonwinagn
11-01-2010, 03:20 AM

ISU-B plays UNI this weekend with first place on the line. Who would have thought that to start the season?

MontBison
11-01-2010, 04:00 AM
It kills me to say this but I really doubt MSU will beat UM so we should talk about MSU being out of it before UM.

IzzyFlexion
11-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Not sure about the final, but........
Halftime score:
SIU: 24
NDSU: 0

SDbison
11-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Playoffs? Are you delusional fans still talking playoffs.......seriously?
Lets just see what the Bison bring this week and the following week. Then maybe it will be practical to talk playoffs. Before then you all are wasting your time.
As fans, especially those living in and around Fargo, you should be recruiting the most crazy nuts sports fans that don't hunt to come to the game this Saturday. Then all of you silent loving seated fools need to start making some noise so the dome becomes an advantage for the home team.

HandoEX
11-01-2010, 04:00 PM
THE BISON WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS! PUMP IT UP!!!

SDbison
11-01-2010, 04:41 PM
THE BISON WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS! PUMP IT UP!!!
PLAYOFFS!
PLAYOFFS?
PLAYOFFS?

CAS4127
11-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Pure and simple--3 more wins = "possible" playoff bid. Anything less = no playoff bid. It's as simple as that my friends.

HerdBot
11-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Pure and simple--3 more wins = "possible" playoff bid. Anything less = no playoff bid. It's as simple as that my friends.

If we get 8 wins with a win over Kansas, with 2 losses to teams in the top 10, and do not make the playoffs than we got royally bent over.

TransAmBison
11-01-2010, 05:50 PM
If we get 8 wins with a win over Kansas, with 2 losses to teams in the top 10, and do not make the playoffs than we got royally bent over.
The only problem is our only meaningful win is against Kansas...and they are terrible. True, they count for something, but there ends our claim to greatness. Not too much. Yeah, we lost to 2 ranked teams...but we lost. Losses don't count for much. 8-3 would give us a good chance at the playoffs, but it all becomes subjective. We can be thankful TMWTFN has no influence or even 10-1 would have us on the outside looking in.

Playoffs are fun to think about, but it all starts this weekend with the 'stache in our way. Gabe, you want this win bad...WILL YOU BE 'STACHE-IN???????????

CAS4127
11-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Yeah, we lost to 2 ranked teams...but we lost. Exacttalacktalallackly!!

HandoEX
11-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Show me the last playoff eligible, 8 D1 win team from top 5 FCS conference that did not make the playoffs. Seriously, show me. There is no way we miss the playoffs with 8 wins in this tough of a conference. No possible way.

MNLonghorn10
11-01-2010, 06:10 PM
MSU is going to be a really tough game, they have improved alot! but i say if we beat SIU by at least 10 we can go 3-0 in these last 3 games. Playoffs...NATIONAL TITLE!!!:nod:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wAxDMfEGhoY/TI6y4IuY8aI/AAAAAAAAAS8/NCjMIHtSW0E/s320/Not+Sure+if+serious.jpg

Capn_Cat
11-01-2010, 06:36 PM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/wcfcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/3/63/5f5/3635f563-9d0c-5905-bbb3-8e7a9b7ba142-revisions/4c9548a27c087.image.jpg

Follow the dancing Cats to the playoffs.......

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

SDbison
11-01-2010, 08:48 PM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/wcfcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/3/63/5f5/3635f563-9d0c-5905-bbb3-8e7a9b7ba142-revisions/4c9548a27c087.image.jpg

Follow the dancing Cats to the playoffs.......

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
A couple gay cats dancing......who cares!
UNI will lose in the playoffs as usual anyway.

CAS4127
11-01-2010, 08:49 PM
A couple gay cats dancing......who cares!
UNI will lose in the playoffs as usual anyway.

In addition to being penalized and fined for helmet-to-helmet contact.

ndsubison1
11-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Playoffs? Are you delusional fans still talking playoffs.......seriously?
Lets just see what the Bison bring this week and the following week. Then maybe it will be practical to talk playoffs. Before then you all are wasting your time.
As fans, especially those living in and around Fargo, you should be recruiting the most crazy nuts sports fans that don't hunt to come to the game this Saturday. Then all of you silent loving seated fools need to start making some noise so the dome becomes an advantage for the home team.

Yes, because we still have a chance to make them...

CAS4127
11-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Yes, because we still have a chance to make them...

Alah Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber???!!!!

TransAmBison
11-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Alah Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber???!!!!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0JjK2c-5-N0/Sx_jiEha7mI/AAAAAAAAD3I/yw1FQU16BjU/s320/a_chance.jpeg

HerdBot
11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0JjK2c-5-N0/Sx_jiEha7mI/AAAAAAAAD3I/yw1FQU16BjU/s320/a_chance.jpeg

That would be funny if we had to win 6 in a row but were currently ranked with a win over an FBS squad and need to win our next 2 home games against teams that are not going to the playoffs. Then we get Missouri State.