PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks to get students and fans fired up

HerdBot
10-25-2010, 12:29 AM
We have 2 weeks to get the student tickets handed out, tickets sold out, and the fan base energized. The game is the most important game of the year and possibly of our short D1 history. Win the next 2 and we have a shot at the playoffs against MSU. Everyone needs to be fired up.

If its not sold out and we're reading about how there are student tickets remaining a week out we need to fire some marketing people.

Tatanka
10-25-2010, 12:33 AM
We have 2 weeks to get the student tickets handed out, tickets sold out, and the fan base energized. The game is the most important game of the year and possibly of our short D1 history. Win the next 2 and we have a shot at the playoffs against MSU. Everyone needs to be fired up.

If its not sold out and we're reading about how there are student tickets remaining a week out we need to fire some marketing people.

IN ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jay
10-25-2010, 12:42 AM
North Dakota deer opener weekend... sellout might be tough

tjbison
10-25-2010, 12:44 AM

Sell out is tough even without deer hunting, You would have thought with the George Strait concert in town and all the out of towners the Media Dept would have put in a Advertizing blitz to try and get the visitors to the game. I see no indication they will make any attemp to advertise the SIU game either.

Sad deal

DjKyRo
10-25-2010, 12:45 AM
I'll be there!

silkamilkamonico
10-25-2010, 12:46 AM

Yea I know alot of regulars who will be missing the game for deer hunting. Hopefully some of the other people that haven't been going fill in for them.

HerdBot
10-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Sell out is tough even without deer hunting, You would have thought with the George Strait concert in town and all the out of towners the Media Dept would have put in a Advertizing blitz to try and get the visitors to the game. I see no indication they will make any attemp to advertise the SIU game either.

Sad deal

Its not even about advertising. Its about HYPING the game and creating excitement. There are more than enough fans out there. They just need to fire them up and get their attention. Its not like the entire Bison fan base hunts.

stevdock
10-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Good luck. My seats for every game are reserved, but they are based on what is available on Saturday. I fully expect to sit between the 40's on the east side. I haven't sat between the 40's this often EVER before.

56BISON73
10-25-2010, 01:15 AM

MN deer opener as well.

Tatanka
10-25-2010, 01:17 AM
MN deer opener as well.

Well then. Look for <12000 asses in seats. *facepalm*

HerdBot
10-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Good luck. My seats for every game are reserved, but they are based on what is available on Saturday. I fully expect to sit between the 40's on the east side. I haven't sat between the 40's this often EVER before.

I sat in row O since there were 5 empty seats. My seats are in row BB

NDSUFan_Sav
10-25-2010, 03:12 PM
im jacked for this game wish it wasnt so far away!!! there will be a 3 boot rotation. hopefully fans show up and support this team! the negativity is getting old.

HerdBot
10-25-2010, 05:01 PM
im jacked for this game wish it wasnt so far away!!! there will be a 3 boot rotation. hopefully fans show up and support this team! the negativity is getting old.

Looks like the win has kept the negativity away for at least 2 more weeks. But I'm suprised they are not out saying positive things either. But in all honesty how can fans not be pumped up for this game?

Went to a store and saw the clerk wearing a Bison shirt... got him all fired up for the game. He didn't know we had a chance at the playoffs if we win out. Chalk that up as a failure for the marketing team.

roadwarrior
10-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Went to a store and saw the clerk wearing a Bison shirt... got him all fired up for the game. He didn't know we had a chance at the playoffs if we win out. Chalk that up as a failure for the marketing team.

We have a marketing team?

56BISON73
10-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Looks like the win has kept the negativity away for at least 2 more weeks. But I'm suprised they are not out saying positive things either. But in all honesty how can fans not be pumped up for this game?

Why are you bitching here about marketing? Why dont you present your ideas to the people who make those decisions?
A very small percentage of the bison fan base posts on BV.
Go to the powers that be if you truely want to make a difference. If you dont you are nothing more than a talking head and it means nothing.

CAS4127
10-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I will be at this game regardless of deer opener. Opener is for amateurs--sorry 56. Anybody have tickets 4 sale?

HerdBot
10-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Why are you bitching here about marketing? Why dont you present your ideas to the people who make those decisions?
A very small percentage of the bison fan base posts on BV.
Go to the powers that be if you truely want to make a difference. If you dont you are nothing more than a talking head and it means nothing.

I have and they still do the same deal. They think they are so smart. So since they ignore me I post my complaints here. Kind of like you complain about everything on this board. But you must be different.

56BISON73
10-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I have and they still do the same deal. They think they are so smart. So since they ignore me I post my complaints here. Kind of like you complain about everything on this board. But you must be different.

So you have sat down with them and presented your concerns to the powers that be? Or was it a phone call that said you need to do this and do that?

I complain about everything? LOL How old are you? But from your reply I can see why they ignored you.

HerdBot
10-25-2010, 07:29 PM
So you have sat down with them and presented your concerns to the powers that be? Or was it a phone call that said you need to do this and do that?

I complain about everything? LOL How old are you? But from your reply I can see why they ignored you.

I have emailed them which in the 21st century is the same as writing a letter. You need to do step 1 before you go to step 2. I can give ideas. They need to act on them.

CAS4127
10-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Actually, I think he is the "Gabe" from Stephen King's Pet Cemetery novel. You know, the one where the little kid gets run over and killed by a semi, get's buried in the "pet cemetery" and then comes back to life as a mentally unstable human!!

56BISON73
10-25-2010, 07:41 PM
I have emailed them which in the 21st century is the same as writing a letter. You need to do step 1 before you go to step 2. I can give ideas. They need to act on them.

In the business world if you arent known to the people you wish to bring forth an idea a face to face presentation is usually warranted. If you cant present your proposal is a business like fashion and with facts you cant expect them to
take you seriously. That is if you are really serious. Your actions or inactions will be proof of that.

SDbison
10-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Pumping up the 2010 football team like they are going to win out and make the playoffs would be like doing the same for last year's mens basketball team. They are both competitive, but nowhere close to being good enough to win 3 in a row against some pretty damn good opponents.

SIU.......you can bet Dale Lennon and his stache will present a tougher game than Indiana State.

SDSU.......is getting better (all around) every week lately.....I can't say that about NDSU (still too many holes in the offense and defense).

MSU.....on the road......for pride, chance or definite playoff spot. Bohl is not very good with games he has to win.

Watching this Bison team week in and week out is like knowing the tracks are bad enough there is eventually gonna be a train wreck. Sorry Sav, you keep on pumping up this team, but eventually you are going to have to face reality. Call me negative, but I think I have seen lots of football games and lots of teams in my lifetime. Just too many issues with this Bison team to get excited about playoffs.

HandoEX
10-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Typical Bisonville, just a bunch of HATERS!

SDbison
10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Typical Bisonville, just a bunch of HATERS!
I think we need to talk more about NDSU's transition to FBS and DI hockey!

HandoEX
10-25-2010, 09:02 PM

You son of a...

:mad:

56BISON73
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
:offtopic:

:offtopic::rofl::pan:

Facts
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM

I must spread reps around...

HerdBot
10-25-2010, 09:25 PM
In the business world if you arent known to the people you wish to bring forth an idea a face to face presentation is usually warranted. If you cant present your proposal is a business like fashion and with facts you cant expect them to
take you seriously. That is if you are really serious. Your actions or inactions will be proof of that.

This isn't a business proposal. We pay these people well to do this. How about they take their skills and put them to work. All fans can do is offer ideas and its their job to figure it out. I say instead of running the same commercial they should take a page from theNFL and focus on the opponent and story lines. The commercial is good but not all season. Why did the USD game do so well? DUH... STORY LINES!!

HerdBot
10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Pumping up the 2010 football team like they are going to win out and make the playoffs would be like doing the same for last year's mens basketball team. They are both competitive, but nowhere close to being good enough to win 3 in a row against some pretty damn good opponents.

SIU.......you can bet Dale Lennon and his stache will present a tougher game than Indiana State.

SDSU.......is getting better (all around) every week lately.....I can't say that about NDSU (still too many holes in the offense and defense).

MSU.....on the road......for pride, chance or definite playoff spot. Bohl is not very good with games he has to win.

Watching this Bison team week in and week out is like knowing the tracks are bad enough there is eventually gonna be a train wreck. Sorry Sav, you keep on pumping up this team, but eventually you are going to have to face reality. Call me negative, but I think I have seen lots of football games and lots of teams in my lifetime. Just too many issues with this Bison team to get excited about playoffs.

Its going to be tough and your not negative for thinking that way but until we lose the playoffs are a reality. We still have to pay the bills regardless of how the season plays out. SDSU will probably sell out no matter what but SIU is not a lock. Besides the game will be on TV in Illinois too and we need to promote the team and make the dome look good. Atmosphere is a big deal when were selling Fargo to Illinois kids.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-25-2010, 09:54 PM
pump what up? no where did i say we will make the playoffs etc. i think we will end 7-4. I just want fans to realize we are improved compard to last year. im not trying to necessarily pump them up but being aggressive on being negative wont get you anywhere. sure say stuff you agree with good and bad but taking an aggressive approach is doing you no good. if you dont agree with anything this team is doing right or improved in certain areas there is something wrong.

we all want this team to win, but it isnt always going to happen. for the most part we are fairly young so lets hope for improvement this bye week and come out strong our last 3 games.

56BISON73
10-25-2010, 09:54 PM
This isn't a business proposal. We pay these people well to do this. How about they take their skills and put them to work. All fans can do is offer ideas and its their job to figure it out. I say instead of running the same commercial they should take a page from theNFL and focus on the opponent and story lines. The commercial is good but not all season. Why did the USD game do so well? DUH... STORY LINES!!

I figured I would get a response like this. Just another talking head.

HerdBot
10-25-2010, 11:44 PM
I figured I would get a response like this. Just another talking head.

A typical and predictable response from you as well. As usual you add nothing to a conversation except for criticism. I've never met you but you must be very frustrating to talk to.

56BISON73
10-26-2010, 01:05 AM
A typical and predictable response from you as well. As usual you add nothing to a conversation except for criticism. I've never met you but you must be very frustrating to talk to.

I gave you a course of action to which you would get an audience to voice your concerns and or ideas.
You offered nothing but inaction-excuses. If I have a question I make calls and talk to the people who matter and can give me an answer. Again you do neither. All you do is bitch and shoot pom poms out of your ass with no effect. Nothing is more frustrating or tiring than to watch a talking head like yourself who wont do what he himself is preaching. Either do something to find the answers or STFU.

only idiots are frustrated talking with me as they have no common sense so they cant understand what is being offered. But they are good at excuses. Kind of like you.

tjbison
10-26-2010, 01:07 AM
I gave you a course of action to which you would get an audience to voice your concerns and or ideas.
You offered nothing but inaction-excuses. If I have a question I make calls and talk to the people who matter and can give me an answer. Again you do neither. All you do is bitch and shoot pom poms out of your ass with no effect. Nothing is more frustrating than to watch a talking head like yourself who wont do what he himself is preaching. Either do something to find the answers of just STFU.

only idiots are frustrated talking with me as they have no common sense so they cant understand what is being offered. But they are good at excuses. Kind of like you.

First Wyo shooting Monkeys out his ass now Pom Poms:hide:

:D

HerdBot
10-26-2010, 02:18 AM
You offered nothing but inaction-excuses. If I have a question I make calls and talk to the people who matter and can give me an answer. Again you do neither. All you do is bitch and shoot pom poms out of your ass with no effect. Nothing is more frustrating or tiring than to watch a talking head like yourself who wont do what he himself is preaching. Either do something to find the answers or STFU.

Listen. Im not the marketing department. I emailed them my ideas. They are the ones who are paid a hansome salary to put this stuff together. You think its practical for a fan to put together a marketing plan? I don't know about you but I don't have the time to do that. I work for a fortune 200 country and every good idea has started by a simple email. That's the reality of todays culture. The difference is my company actually reads them and follows through. Expecting any more than a good email with good info to spur ideas is assinine. So you really didn't offer anything with your comments except for negativity by calling me a talking head.

roadwarrior
10-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Looks like at least 2 fans are getting fired up! All for the wrong reasons though. :smh:

BlueBisonRock
10-26-2010, 02:49 AM
Listen. Im not the marketing department. I emailed them my ideas. They are the ones who are paid a hansome salary to put this stuff together. You think its practical for a fan to put together a marketing plan? I don't know about you but I don't have the time to do that. I work for a fortune 200 country and every good idea has started by a simple email. That's the reality of todays culture. The difference is my company actually reads them and follows through. Expecting any more than a good email with good info to spur ideas is assinine. So you really didn't offer anything with your comments except for negativity by calling me a talking head.

I'm guessing he had you at pom poms. :hide:

As an attempt (and likely a foolish one) to mediate, I spent a career at a Fortune 10 corporation. I saw great ideas and (lets just say), not so great ideas. The problem was not necessarily the 'greatness' of the idea. Rather it was the volume and expectation that every idea must be implemented. For a moment, think about the absolute chaos that would occur if every idea that was presented was then to be accepted without consideration to budget, process, or quality.

The notion of a business case is critical to the acceptance of any idea regardless of cost as there is always the gotcha's (now why in the hell didn't anyone think of that happening) that popped up. If a person championed an idea, that person was expected to complete (or delegate the completion) of a business case that would look at the cost, the benefit, and the process impacts to insure that good idea's remained good ideas.

I get what you are saying (better marketing is necessary and here is how). I get what PL is stating (I'm from Arkansas, show me [Tatanka to have a hissy fit in moments]). The good news is that there is middle ground. But getting to this middle ground will require a bit of effort and perspiration, just like it would in Corp. America. After all, we want facts. Even on Bisonville.

I believe all involved would be plesantly surprised with the results.

Tatanka
10-26-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm from Arkansas, show me

Dude. You kill me. :rofl:

SDbison
10-26-2010, 03:13 AM
I thought Missouri is the "show me state"?

56BISON73
10-26-2010, 03:17 AM
Dude. You kill me. :rofl:

Ditto

:rofl::rofl:

Tatanka
10-26-2010, 03:17 AM

Precisely, SD! :D

BlueBisonRock
10-26-2010, 03:18 AM

It is. However, I took editorial liberty on teh internets to poke at Tatanka rather than simply stating PL was almost from Missouri. :blush:

SDbison
10-26-2010, 03:24 AM
It is. However, I took editorial liberty on teh internets to poke at Tatanka rather than simply stating PL was almost from Missouri. :blush:
OK.....didn't read it all and was busy messin with all the football minds on othr threads that believe NDSU has an awesome football team. They are good, not great.......hopefully some day soon they will be awesome.

Tatanka
10-26-2010, 03:25 AM

That's like saying you're almost from Iowa. :rofl:

SDbison
10-26-2010, 03:28 AM
So back on topic......so how will two weeks (1.5 now) get more fans to show up for the game......

students don't give a rip.......too busy reading facebook and looking for the next party to bother picking up "free" tickets to go to the game.

local residents will be focused on the hunt for bambi.......hell I have to agree, the thrill of hunting and getting a deer trumps the performance of the Bison for most home games over the past 3 years!

met1990
10-26-2010, 03:33 AM
Does anyone know how much students pay toward the activity fee or whatever it's called that gets them into games for "free"? What all does it cover (just sporting events or other activities)?

I was just wondering what it actually costs students to attend a football game (or basketball game/etc.) if you spread that cost over all of the potential opportunities that are available to them.

56BISON73
10-26-2010, 03:35 AM

So instead of following through this is what you are going to hang your hat on for your lack of action?
No need to respond. Ive heard enough.

HerdBot
10-26-2010, 03:41 AM
So instead of following through this is what you are going to hang your hat on for your lack of action?
No need to respond. Ive heard enough.

My lack of action? Am I on the marketing payroll. I have no decision making authority. Just good ideas. They have to put it into action.

HerdBot
10-26-2010, 03:56 AM
So back on topic......so how will two weeks (1.5 now) get more fans to show up for the game......

students don't give a rip.......too busy reading facebook and looking for the next party to bother picking up "free" tickets to go to the game.

local residents will be focused on the hunt for bambi.......hell I have to agree, the thrill of hunting and getting a deer trumps the performance of the Bison for most home games over the past 3 years!

I would agree but there are a few games that they show up in huge numbers. Why do they show up early in the year but not later? What is different?

Hunting? Is Saturday during the bison game the only time to hunt? The Ralph or Metrodome are not empty just because its hunting season.

BlueBisonRock
10-26-2010, 04:07 AM
My lack of action? Am I on the marketing payroll. I have no decision making authority. Just ideas. Decision makers need to see if they have merit.

Fixed it for you. :banghead:

silkamilkamonico
10-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Hunting? Is Saturday during the bison game the only time to hunt? The Ralph or Metrodome are not empty just because its hunting season.

I know families of Bison fans that run in the double digits who won't think twice about choosing hunting over a Bison game. They can hunt, and listen to the Bison game. It's likely their favorite week of all of fall, as they get the best of both worlds.

ndsubison1
10-26-2010, 08:10 AM
it is going to be a tall task to get the students and most of the crowd fired up for the next two home games :paperbag:

HerdBot
10-26-2010, 02:58 PM
it is going to be a tall task to get the students and most of the crowd fired up for the next two home games :paperbag:

The sad part is it shouldn't be. This is what we've hoped for. A shot to make the playoffs and a game against SIU and SDSU that mean even more. If that wont fire fans up, what will?

HerdBot
10-26-2010, 03:06 PM
They should have something on the website right now talking about the game. How about make the student tickets available early. Why wait a week? Just because the team has a bye that doesn't mean marketing gets a bye.

80ALUM
10-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Doesn't look like the chance to win a t-shirt with a $500 coupon for tuition, is working to attract any additional students. Wish my kid would win that. He is at all the games.

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 03:11 PM
The sad part is it shouldn't be. This is what we've hoped for. A shot to make the playoffs and a game against SIU and SDSU that mean even more. If that wont fire fans up, what will?

Sorry man, but 5-3 and having to win out is not what "we've hoped for". The fanbase would be way more fired up if we had only one or no losses and were consistently playing well. Mediocore teams will result in mediocore support, and that is exactly what has happened to Bison FB the past 2-3 years. Going to games is becoming more of a social event than an event we used to feel that we just couldn't miss, whether hunting season (another social event in a way) or not. And, yes, 5-3 is mediocore, especially given the teams we have beaten compared to those to whom we have lost.

stevdock
10-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Not necessarily true that a good product will trump hunting. Look at the 10-1 years for the attendence during hunting opener. 14 and 15 thousand, which will be about where we are. Now butts in the seats were nowhere close to that and never will be. I would be shocked if there will be more than 12 thousand people there for the SIU game.

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 03:54 PM
the 10-1 years We weren't playoff eligible in those years tho.

stevdock
10-26-2010, 04:00 PM
We weren't playoff eligible in those years tho.

What's that have to do with anything?? You were saying mediocre teams don't draw well. Well both of those teams were not mediocre and still did horribly at the gate going up against hunting.

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 04:05 PM
What's that have to do with anything?? You were saying mediocre teams don't draw well. Well both of those teams were not mediocre and still did horribly at the gate going up against hunting.

I knew I should have just spelled it out to begin with, but was hoping you could just do the math:

(Undefeated or only 1 loss + playoff eligible) > (5-3 + mediocore/non-playoff-type team/inconsistency)

THE HERD
10-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Its going to be tough and your not negative for thinking that way but until we lose the playoffs are a reality. We still have to pay the bills regardless of how the season plays out. SDSU will probably sell out no matter what but SIU is not a lock. Besides the game will be on TV in Illinois too and we need to promote the team and make the dome look good. Atmosphere is a big deal when were selling Fargo to Illinois kids.

Might be tough getting a lot of students at the SIU game ,cuz it falls on one of North Dakotas nationaly holidays......The Deer gun opener. It affects the whole crowd not just the students too......a lot of people out of town that week.

THE HERD
10-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Sorry already talked about

HerdBot
10-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Not necessarily true that a good product will trump hunting. Look at the 10-1 years for the attendence during hunting opener. 14 and 15 thousand, which will be about where we are. Now butts in the seats were nowhere close to that and never will be. I would be shocked if there will be more than 12 thousand people there for the SIU game.

So your saying the only way people will show up is if we go 10-1. Last time I checked only a few teams in the country go 10-1. This years product is not that bad. I know every team has their share of bandwagon fans. I wont be shocked if we only have 12k fans because they don't have an effective plan. People act like winning 2 more games at home with a bye week is impossible. In fact I think we have a better than 50%chance of doing it. Are they tough games? What ever happened to "bring on the competition? !"

stevdock
10-26-2010, 06:47 PM
So your saying the only way people will show up is if we go 10-1. Last time I checked only a few teams in the country go 10-1. This years product is not that bad. I know every team has their share of bandwagon fans. I wont be shocked if we only have 12k fans because they don't have an effective plan. People act like winning 2 more games at home with a bye week is impossible. In fact I think we have a better than 50%chance of doing it. Are they tough games? What ever happened to "bring on the competition? !"

Gabe I never said that the only way people will show up is if we go 10-1. I said even during the 10-1 years attendance for the first home game after deer season started was 14 and 15 thousand. We definitely won't have anymore than that no matter who we play. Why?? Because how many years in a row has that happened. ISU-B two years ago I believe tickets sold were about 17 or 18K but there was more like 10 or 11K there. In this area, hunting trumps football. I don't understand it, but have learned to accept it. Has nothing to do with who we are playing, how good we are, or even NDSU's marketing department, that's just what it is.

stevdock
10-26-2010, 06:56 PM
I knew I should have just spelled it out to begin with, but was hoping you could just do the math:

(Undefeated or only 1 loss + playoff eligible) > (5-3 + mediocore/non-playoff-type team/inconsistency)

Ok here's some more facts for you then. In 1999, I know long time ago, but it was my senior year of college and I went to every game both home and away. That team was ranked no lower than 16th all season. They had a 3 point loss to UND and a 2 point loss to UNC in the second to last game. So in other words through the home schedule a 1 loss team that was playoff eligible. The highest attendance that year was a little over 14K, while the rest were between 8 and 12K.

Now we have gained a ton of people to the area since then, which has helped attendance, but looking back at history tells you that sometimes the Bison draw well with good teams and sometimes they don't with good teams. Also wasn't our highest attendance average two years ago when we were 6-5?? Or at least close to it.

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 07:06 PM
You can't look at specific years in a vacuum. You have to consider other factors, such as, but not limited to, what happened the year before, fan expectations, etc. What I am saying is that, IMHO, if this team were knock-out, we would not be worring about attendance, nor would we be "busying" ourselves with getting students/fans fired up. Those things would take care of themselves.

SDbison
10-26-2010, 07:48 PM
What is sad is the population is that small in the upper midwest, the deer hunting fanatics that big of a factor, the Bison remaining mediocre for the past several years and the growth of Bison fans not that great that the dome cannot be filled for an important SIU game.

BlueBisonRock
10-26-2010, 08:01 PM
What is sad is the population is that small in the upper midwest, the deer hunting fanatics that big of a factor, the Bison remaining mediocre for the past several years and the growth of Bison fans not that great that the dome cannot be filled for an important SIU game.

Yes it is. I have the same problems for this game with all 4 of my younger brothers. However, I have convinced my daughter, the UofMN grad to come to Fargo with me to see some better (safe word even for SD's sensitive eyes) football and some excellent tailgating!

HerdBot
10-26-2010, 09:30 PM
You can't look at specific years in a vacuum. You have to consider other factors, such as, but not limited to, what happened the year before, fan expectations, etc. What I am saying is that, IMHO, if this team were knock-out, we would not be worring about attendance, nor would we be "busying" ourselves with getting students/fans fired up. Those things would take care of themselves.

One of the factors may be marketing. Its time to try something different.

Off topic I just talked to a student and I asked him if he's going in 2 weeks. He said no because they always sell out and he doesn't want to wake up at 5 am to get tickets. When I told him there were thousands of empty seats he seemed surprised. Interesting.

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
One of the factors may be marketing. Its time to try something different.

Off topic I just talked to a student and I asked him if he's going in 2 weeks. He said no because they always sell out and he doesn't want to wake up at 5 am to get tickets. When I told him there were thousands of empty seats he seemed surprised. Interesting.

I'll just re-post the following in response to "student" comment:
"What I am saying is that, IMHO, if this team were knock-out, we would not be worrying about attendance, nor would we be "busying" ourselves with getting students/fans fired up. Those things would take care of themselves."

HerdBot
10-26-2010, 10:35 PM
I'll just re-post the following in response to "student" comment:
"What I am saying is that, IMHO, if this team were knock-out, we would not be worrying about attendance, nor would we be "busying" ourselves with getting students/fans fired up. Those things would take care of themselves."

You must have misread the post. I said they didnt get tickets bexcause they thought they were sold out.

CAS4127
10-27-2010, 04:53 PM
You must have misread the post. I said they didnt get tickets bexcause they thought they were sold out.

Well, you can't cure stupid, that's for sure. But, that said, I will stay with my earlier post, and say that an interested student/fan would not "think" they were sold out and leave it at that, they would check to be sure because they would not want to miss out if this team were a knock-out. . . . . . . . . . .

HandoEX
10-27-2010, 05:02 PM

I think SIU will be a really tough draw. If we win against SIU (which I fully expect us to), the SDSU game will draw a huge gate, like sellout, standing room only...

NorthernBison
10-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Well, you can't cure stupid, that's for sure. But, that said, I will stay with my earlier post, and say that an interested student/fan would not "think" they were sold out and leave it at that, they would check to be sure because they would not want to miss out if this team were a knock-out. . . . . . . . . . .

I'm not really sure that student attitudes have changed that much. Are some of us wishing for something that hasn't ever really been there?

My memory of the student section in the early 80's when we were really starting the Championship runs is of a student section that was never full (except for the UND game). I went to playoff games throughout the 80's and anybody could sit in the Student Section. There was no trouble sitting anywhere you wanted.

I think only a small portion of the student population give a crap about going to games regardless of the success of the team.

BTW, I expect tough sledding for the SDSU game no matter what is on the line. No classes on Thursday and it is in the middle of deer season so plenty of students will make it a 4 day weekend. Campus will be a wasteland.

CAS4127
10-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Below is from NDSU on facebook. They post info about tickets every week. How a student would not know if there are tickets available is beyond me, but maybe the GASF of students has dwindled over the years.

Be BISON STRONG and join me at the next Bison home game! Here is SPECIAL TICKET OFFER for the NDSU vs Southern Illinois football game on Nov 6 at the Fargodome. Catch all the excitement of Bison football for only $12! Follow the link below and enter “BISONSTRONG” in the special offer code box!

CAS4127
10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Bump: The below post from current student was found in another thread and confirms GASF is low to zero--just sayin!

Many of the students today don't have the memory of the winning seasons - you ask a freshman or sophomore and they'll probably only remember this season or the last. Once the team gets out of this few year slump and starts producing, I'm sure the casual student will be returning to the game.

Also, there is a tremendous lack of advertising for the games. Nothing on campus says "hey, there's a game Saturday - get your tickets and go!" I'd wager most of the students (the ones who haven't been showing up lately) have no idea if it's a home game or an away game. Getting rid of the tickets at the BSA would be a good idea too - the students who get a text or a call from their friends on Saturday asking them to go to the game are left out now, because they don't have a ticket. If they went back to the old system (slide your card, go in) I think more of the casual students would show up.

gotts
10-27-2010, 07:18 PM
So 3-4 times a week I can get a text from the OB telling me what cheap booze they've got on special that night, but NDSU athletics hasn't thought of anything like that to help distribute student tickets?

WTF?

DjKyRo
10-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I'll be at the SIU game cheering my ass off.

MN_BISON
10-27-2010, 07:23 PM
I'll be at the SIU game cheering my ass off.

Good to know, now round up 3,999 of your best friends and bring them with you. ;)

56BISON73
10-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Bump: The below post from current student was found in another thread and confirms GASF is low to zero--just sayin!

One must also realize that many students could give a rip about NDSU sports. They could care less whos playing on Sat. When I was at the Ill. State game I talked to a couple who had never been to a FB game in their 4 years on campus. They decided that may be they would go to one game before they graduated. I also knew some like that when I was in school so the lack of student attendance really isnt surprising to me. Especially since the team is iffy.

SportsLover
10-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Good to know, now round up 3,999 of your best friends and bring them with you. ;)

3,998 actually:D

Bisonfan1
10-28-2010, 03:59 PM
One must also realize that many students could give a rip about NDSU sports. They could care less whos playing on Sat. When I was at the Ill. State game I talked to a couple who had never been to a FB game in their 4 years on campus. They decided that may be they would go to one game before they graduated. I also knew some like that when I was in school so the lack of student attendance really isnt surprising to me. Especially since the team is iffy.

Nice to see someone gets it, that weekend is the great North Dakota Holiday along with " it's cold out" wimp wimp will make for an embarrasing home crowd. Just when the Bison need fan's the most the fair weather fans and fairys bail. The walking dead premires this Sunday on AMC, I say the walking dead premires on November 6th at the " dead dome " Tatanka should be on the SU marketing staff with the stache idea, brilliant, it will be way fun, too bad NDSU couldnt have come up with this and everyone gets a stache at the door to get the fence balancers to fall into the dome instead of the field, the bar or the mall.

Tatanka
10-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Nice to see someone gets it, that weekend is the great North Dakota Holiday along with " it's cold out" wimp wimp will make for an embarrasing home crowd. Just when the Bison need fan's the most the fair weather fans and fairys bail. The walking dead premires this Sunday on AMC, I say the walking dead premires on November 6th at the " dead dome " Tatanka should be on the SU marketing staff with the stache idea, brilliant, it will be way fun, too bad NDSU couldnt have come up with this and everyone gets a stache at the door to get the fence balancers to fall into the dome instead of the field, the bar or the mall.

:) you're too kind. Well, I can safely say that the first 750 people to show up at the Horny Bison tailgate (Stache Out HQ) will get a stache... if they're not already sporting their own creation. :nod:

HerdBot
10-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Below is from NDSU on facebook. They post info about tickets every week. How a student would not know if there are tickets available is beyond me, but maybe the GASF of students has dwindled over the years.

Price isn't the issue. Besides, student tickets are free. If people realize it's a good game and they can create excitement, people will pay good money to see it. This is an important game to keep our playoff hopes alive. That's what they need to promote.

How about promote it on campus with signs and the band. Maybe get a street team together

CAS4127
10-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Price isn't the issue. Besides, student tickets are free. If people realize it's a good game and they can create excitement, people will pay good money to see it. This is an important game to keep our playoff hopes alive. That's what they need to promote.

How about promote it on campus with signs and the band. Maybe get a street team together

Well HelleffinO! Student tickets are free, you need to tell people it may be a good game and that they can create excitement, and, we need to get a street team together to promote both, despite that they are obvious to any true fan. Sorry man--can't go there.

HerdBot
10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Well HelleffinO! Student tickets are free, you need to tell people it may be a good game and that they can create excitement, and, we need to get a street team together to promote both, despite that they are obvious to any true fan. Sorry man--can't go there.

Most students are NOT true fans. It's just a reality. Remember, most students aren't even from here. They don't know the teams we play and the implications. You need to make it into an EVENT for them. Since they live in a computer world you need to get the tickets in front of them. How a bout reserve online? Since the games on TV, they could award a $500 tuition voucher to the craziest bastard they spot on TV. They could work with Channel 11

You need to stir up the Bison Pride in the fairweather fans as well.

CAS4127
10-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Most NDSUstudents apparently are NOT true fans.

There, created some bulletin board material you can use against them when they register online for tickets. And, it's not reality, it's pa-the-tic!

SportsLover
10-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Most students are NOT true fans. It's just a reality. Remember, most students aren't even from here. They don't know the teams we play and the implications. You need to make it into an EVENT for them. Since they live in a computer world you need to get the tickets in front of them. How a bout reserve online? Since the games on TV, they could award a $500 tuition voucher to the craziest bastard they spot on TV. They could work with Channel 11

You need to stir up the Bison Pride in the fairweather fans as well.

I would rather have it be the drunkest/craziest student on TV

TransAmBison
10-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Ming, come get your prize. :D

HerdBot
10-29-2010, 07:01 PM

That's what I meant... they could have interactive voting with live tv and the video boards but the catch is they (drum roll) announce it in the 4th quarter!

DjKyRo
10-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Just got the confirmation that I'll be calling the game on the radio (96.3) and am doing the basketball game right after, so....yeah. :(

Tatanka
10-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Just got the confirmation that I'll be calling the game on the radio (96.3) and am doing the basketball game right after, so....yeah. :(

But you can still wear a 'stache.

DjKyRo
10-29-2010, 11:11 PM

I fully intend to.

NDSUFan_Sav
10-30-2010, 06:13 AM

why don't you just say no for once :D

NDSUFan_Sav
10-30-2010, 06:14 AM
why don't you just say no for once :D

I fully intend to.

that's what I like to hear!!!

coldspot
10-30-2010, 06:41 AM
so now we're a little more than a week until the siu game. has anything been done to make an increase to the student attendance?

IzzyFlexion
10-30-2010, 01:11 PM

Do any of you have any influence of the mini jumbotron (a bit of an oxymoron) operator? I'd like to see a stache cam at some point during the game on my web feed.

Tatanka
10-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Do any of you have any influence of the mini jumbotron (a bit of an oxymoron) operator? I'd like to see a stache cam at some point during the game on my web feed.

STACHE CAM. Make it happen!1!1!!1!!

DjKyRo
10-30-2010, 07:09 PM
STACHE CAM. Make it happen!1!1!!1!!

I don't have any input into the presentation but if I happen to get a chance I'll barge into the operator box and try to get a word in before security hauls me off.

HerdBot
10-30-2010, 07:53 PM
so now we're a little more than a week until the siu game. has anything been done to make an increase to the student attendance?

Nope. Nothing. They are content having a mediocre turnout for a very important game. Who cares that the dome will look empty onTV. We don't want to make a good impression. Why try to get the tickets distributed early when we can make a last minute scramble. There are a ton of good seats left in the premium sections. Epic failure this week. These guys suck.

56BISON73
10-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Nope. Nothing. They are content having a mediocre turnout for a very important game. Who cares that the dome will look empty onTV. We don't want to make a good impression. Why try to get the tickets distributed early when we can make a last minute scramble. There are a ton of good seats left in the premium sections. Epic failure this week. These guys suck.

One would have thought with all of your bitching you would have used that energy to actually do something productive about it.

HerdBot
10-30-2010, 10:20 PM
One would have thought with all of your bitching you would have used that energy to actually do something productive about it.

Your right. Im going to quit my job and focus on NDSU marketing. Ill offer my services for free and they can take the money they paid those schmucks to promote the game.

aces1180
10-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Your right. Im going to quit my job and focus on NDSU marketing. Ill offer my services for free and they can take the money they paid those schmucks to promote the game.

Serious question: Have you ever worked in marketing?

HerdBot
10-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Serious question: Have you ever worked in marketing?

Yes and my entire family as well.

56BISON73
10-30-2010, 10:42 PM

So with all of this supposed great expertise, plus working for a Fortune 200 Company you still havent figured out how to get your wonderful ideas accross to the people at NDSU?

Hey Ive got a degree in Radiographic Technology not marketing and Ive figured it out. If you need some help give me a shout.:D

aces1180
10-30-2010, 10:43 PM

Ok...Then you know they are working with a budget...My guess is they focused a lot of funds towards the 10,000 Strong Campaign, with not much left for the last couple games.

I agree that more should be focused towards the students, but my best guess is that they are short on their budget.

You really can't blame the marketing department for apathetic students and fans, though, IMO.

Tatanka
10-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Ok...Then you know they are working with a budget...My guess is they focused a lot of funds towards the 10,000 Strong Campaign, with not much left for the last couple games.

I agree that more should be focused towards the students, but my best guess is that they are short on their budget.

You really can't blame the marketing department for apathetic students and fans, though, IMO.

OK, I'll bite. Which idea exactly costs a whole bunch of money?

roadwarrior
10-30-2010, 11:29 PM
My guess is they focused a lot of funds towards the 10,000 Strong Campaign, with not much left for the last couple games.

If they did, I sure didn't see it!

aces1180
10-30-2010, 11:30 PM
OK, I'll bite. Which idea exactly costs a whole bunch of money?

Advertising...TV, radio, newspapers, Internet ads, etc.

Unfortunately, the grassroots stuff (FB, Twitter, etc.) isn't working.

As far as the students go, that's on them, not the athletic department.

HerdBot
10-30-2010, 11:32 PM

To get the students fired up... with some brains they could do it for minimum cost or even FREE! Get a group together. Walk campus. Get Thundar on campus. Set up a mobile ticket office. Post flyers. Use You Tube, Facebook, and Twitter. Post something on the NDSUwebsite. How about some cross marketing with our great partners like Scheels. The ideas are right there. They just need to sit down, put together a plan, and execute it.

aces1180
10-30-2010, 11:36 PM
To get the students fired up... with some brains they could do it for minimum cost or even FREE! Get a group together. Walk campus. Get Thundar on campus. Set up a mobile ticket office. Post flyers. Use You Tube, Facebook, and Twitter. Post something on the NDSUwebsite. How about some cross marketing with our great partners like Scheels. The ideas are right there. They just need to sit down, put together a plan, and execute it.

They have been using FB, Twitter, Youtube, etc. It's not working. Using Thundar is good in theory, but he is a student and probably also has a job, so does that give him time? The mobile ticket office will also require staff, which also costs money.

And I bet cross marketing will cost money...I work in marketing and that stuff isn't free, no matter how good a relationship you have with the other organization.

Tatanka
10-30-2010, 11:43 PM
OK then. So you're saying the only solution is more money?

Are you arguing on principle or are you actually defending the fail? I'm curious. Not trying to be a dink (although that is my nature), just trying to understand.

aces1180
10-30-2010, 11:47 PM
OK then. So you're saying the only solution is more money?

Are you arguing on principle or are you actually defending the fail? I'm curious. Not trying to be a dink (although that is my nature), just trying to understand.

I think things need to change...They are too complacent, IM). I'm just trying to point out there isn't just one thing that is wrong, but a combination of many. The things they are doing are not working and there is no easy solution right now.

I get pissed, however, that the students bitch about not having enough tickets one week and the next home game there are 2,000 blue seats. The fact that the athletic department made more available to them even pisses me off even more. Many students are lame and should be ashamed of themselves. They are lucky to be able to pick up tickets in advance, while I had to wait in line to get in, which nowadays would mean no tailgating.

aces1180
10-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Oh, and I also think it would help to have all games start at 6:00 pm. I feel the primetime start gives the game a more of a "special event-like" atmosphere.

Tatanka
10-30-2010, 11:53 PM
I think things need to change...They are too complacent, IM). I'm just trying to point out there isn't just one thing that is wrong, but a combination of many. The things they are doing are not working and there is no easy solution right now.

I get pissed, however, that the students bitch about not having enough tickets one week and the next home game there are 2,000 blue seats. The fact that the athletic department made more available to them even pisses me off even more. Many students are lame and should be ashamed of themselves. They are lucky to be able to pick up tickets in advance, while I had to wait in line to get in, which nowadays would mean no tailgating.

I can get on board with all of this.

Gully
10-30-2010, 11:57 PM
How about we put a consistent product on the field and become a routine playoff team? That would change everything.

HerdBot
10-31-2010, 12:30 AM
They have been using FB, Twitter, Youtube, etc. It's not working. Using Thundar is good in theory, but he is a student and probably also has a job, so does that give him time? The mobile ticket office will also require staff, which also costs money.

And I bet cross marketing will cost money...I work in marketing and that stuff isn't free, no matter how good a relationship you have with the other organization.

Get a group of volunteers together to make it happen. That of course takes some leadership. Put some flyers up. They don't even have a story on the NDSU website. Its not like they don't have any money.

56BISON73
10-31-2010, 12:58 AM
Get a group of volunteers together to make it happen. That of course takes some leadership. Put some flyers up. They don't even have a story on the NDSU website. Its not like they don't have any money.

Why dont you volunteer to be the leader?

TransAmBison
10-31-2010, 01:59 AM
How about we put a consistent product on the field and become a routine playoff team? That would change everything.
The only idea worth anything in this whole thread. Winning cures all.

IzzyFlexion
10-31-2010, 12:49 PM

Curious.........Does the DNR in your area require a special license for you?:D :D
http://piloseo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/baiting-seos-300x229.jpg

HerdBot
10-31-2010, 03:13 PM

I'd love to if I had the time. I was thinking this should be done on a student level.

TransAmBison
10-31-2010, 04:11 PM
I think you two should defer all marketing decisions to Lakes.

HerdBot
10-31-2010, 04:21 PM

He's a git er done type guy. I'm just a whiner. Agreed.

BisoninNWMN
10-31-2010, 04:40 PM
15K for the Indiana State game was an embarassment, IMO.

Would be nice to have full domes for the last 2 games.....

56BISON73
10-31-2010, 04:45 PM
I'd love to if I had the time. I was thinking this should be done on a student level.

You really dont need to spear head this thing. All you have to do is arrange a meeting with marketing, the student body president and Gene Taylor. Present your ideas. Considering that you work in marketing for a Fortune 200 company your ideas would have some weight to them. As a fan your job is now done and its now on the powers that be to decide what to do with your ideas.

If you are such a forward thinker you could also propose a partnership with your company and the Bison to help them with their marketing. Makes your company look good and companies are always looking for positive strokes with in the community when they dont have to take actual money out of there pocket and can use on site resources.

Hell Im getting pretty good with this stuff. :D

56BISON73
10-31-2010, 04:50 PM

He did say at one time that he had a degree in marketing.
:D

Mr. Burgundy
10-31-2010, 06:01 PM
15K for the Indiana State game was an embarassment, IMO.

Would be nice to have full domes for the last 2 games.....

I am in total agreement....and the funny thing is that we had 2.5 times the crowd that UND had yesterday, and we are the ones complaining. I love our fanbase. High expectations. Lets win 3 in a row and start acting like Bison.

HerdBot
10-31-2010, 09:32 PM
I am in total agreement....and the funny thing is that we had 2.5 times the crowd that UND had yesterday, and we are the ones complaining. I love our fanbase. High expectations. Lets win 3 in a row and start acting like Bison.

What kills me is were trending in the wrong direction.

aces1180
11-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Per Facebook:

Message 1: Bison Football Team is back at home this week with a crucial game vs. Southern Illinois. Student Tickets can be picked up tomorrow at the BSA from 8-5 PM.

Message 2: Be BISON STRONG and join me at the next Bison home game! Here is SPECIAL TICKET OFFER for the NDSU vs Southern Illinois football game on Nov 6 at the Fargodome. Catch all the excitement of Bison football for only $12! Follow the link below and enter “BISONSTRONG” in the special offer code box!

HerdBot
11-02-2010, 04:38 AM
You really dont need to spear head this thing. All you have to do is arrange a meeting with marketing, the student body president and Gene Taylor. Present your ideas. Considering that you work in marketing for a Fortune 200 company your ideas would have some weight to them. As a fan your job is now done and its now on the powers that be to decide what to do with your ideas.

If you are such a forward thinker you could also propose a partnership with your company and the Bison to help them with their marketing. Makes your company look good and companies are always looking for positive strokes with in the community when they dont have to take actual money out of there pocket and can use on site resources.

Hell Im getting pretty good with this stuff. :D

When you said "All you need to do" you make it sound like it's easy. It's not gonna happen. Although I have a marketing background my current job is not in marketing. It requires a ton of travel and I have a family with kids so I really don't have time to do this. But I guarantee you that the NDSU marketing team who dedicates 40 hours per week at doing this does.

However... I do have time to post idea's on my cell phone, email them, and bitch.

I'm not a crusty old retired man with too much time on my hands. Sorry couldn't resist. :)

sambini
11-02-2010, 04:44 AM
Per Facebook:

Message 1: Bison Football Team is back at home this week with a crucial game vs. Southern Illinois. Student Tickets can be picked up tomorrow at the BSA from 8-5 PM.

Message 2: Be BISON STRONG and join me at the next Bison home game! Here is SPECIAL TICKET OFFER for the NDSU vs Southern Illinois football game on Nov 6 at the Fargodome. Catch all the excitement of Bison football for only $12! Follow the link below and enter “BISONSTRONG” in the special offer code box!

Be there++++++++

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 03:23 PM
When you said "All you need to do" you make it sound like it's easy. It's not gonna happen. Although I have a marketing background my current job is not in marketing. It requires a ton of travel and I have a family with kids so I really don't have time to do this. But I guarantee you that the NDSU marketing team who dedicates 40 hours per week at doing this does.

However... I do have time to post idea's on my cell phone, email them, and bitch.

I'm not a crusty old retired man with too much time on my hands. Sorry couldn't resist. :)

Nor do you have sausage!!

HerdBot
11-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Nor do you have sausage!!

I have fresh sausage. Not old shrivelled up dried up sausage.

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 07:11 PM

That's not what Lakes said!!

HerdBot
11-02-2010, 07:13 PM
That's not what Lakes said!!

You set me for that one! :)

TransAmBison
11-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes, but are the only one who seems to be admiring your sausage. PL's sausage has been marveled at by the masses. If I were you, I would not get into a sword fight with him...that is if I were you.

HerdBot
11-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Yes, but are the only one who seems to be admiring your sausage. PL's sausage has been marveled at by the masses. If I were you, I would not get into a sword fight with him...that is if I were you.

My sausage is the best kept secret in the FM area

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 07:21 PM

Well, that is because there are more women than men in the FM area, or hadn't you noticed?!:D

TransAmBison
11-02-2010, 07:22 PM
My sausage is best kept secret from the FM area
Fixed it for ya.

HerdBot
11-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Fixed it for ya.

LOL! This discussion has taken a strange turn. Maybe we could market sausage to bring in the masses.

CAS4127
11-02-2010, 07:27 PM
LOL! This discussion has taken a strange turn. Maybe we could market sausage to bring in the masses.

That's what happens when "Tranny" gets involved.:D

TransAmBison
11-02-2010, 07:40 PM
PL already does!

BlueBisonRock
11-02-2010, 08:49 PM
OK, we can debate sausage, but lets keep the discussion away from the jerky!

(dried up old sausage, my a$$)

56BISON73
11-02-2010, 10:13 PM

Yes I can see how busy you are considering all of your whinny posts. :D

56BISON73
11-02-2010, 10:15 PM

Small secrets are usually best kept quite as you obviously are aware of.:D

HerdBot
11-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Yes I can see how busy you are considering all of your whinny posts. :D

Its the beauty of a smart phone. Its my 'bitch on demand" device I can bring anywhere. It makes my bitching more efficient.

56BISON73
11-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Its the beauty of a smart phone. Its my 'bitch on demand" device I can bring anywhere. It makes my bitching more efficient.

I cannot argue with you on that point. :D touche