PDA

View Full Version : Secondary

yellowstreak
10-24-2010, 04:03 PM
4-Gatlin looked really impressive last night in pass coverage. He was helped off the field near the end of the game. Will he be playing next week?

1-Williams has been doing a good job IMO for a RFr.

13-Banks gets a lot of tackles for a CB, but not for the right reasons. Nickleback material IMO.

7-Eaves had a great interception/TD. He's got a nose for the ball. He's pretty good in coverage during spread offensive formations.

36-Lemon won't be back next year. I'm not too worried about that.

KTF
10-24-2010, 05:48 PM
1 - Williams will be a 4 yr starter at corner along with Brendon Pierre (out for season) - Williams needs to work on ball catching skills as he could have an INT in every game this year. Yesterday he dropped on off the tips of his fingers.

4- Gatlin not sure what happened but they do need him. Did you notice in the 4th qtr about half way through when ISU was driving for the field goal that Freddie Banks was covering #19 of ISU (WR). 3 of 4 plays were to him on the west side of the field. After that Gatlin covered him and shut him down.

13-banks you are right on. He won't be back next year along with Gatlin.

Definitely a recruiting need to replace these guys.

Herd
10-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Williams was being pulled down by the receiver on his best pick opportunity yesterday, so not many would have made that catch. It was the only play the whole game where a flag wasn't thrown, and it should have had one.

KTF
10-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Williams was being pulled down by the receiver on his best pick opportunity yesterday, so not many would have made that catch. It was the only play the whole game where a flag wasn't thrown, and it should have had one.

I think the one you are talking about was near the south endzone but he also had an opportunity, I thought, near the 20-30 yardline near the north endzone earlier in the game (2nd qtr?) It was just a bit out of reach of his outstretched hands.

Anyway, he is a solid player that is showing great improvement. Glad he is a Bison!!

ndsubison1
10-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Eaves int. return was a turning point in the game. If we dont get that I think we prolly lose. Pass defense was below average at best yesterday.

SportsLover
10-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Our pass defense does need a lot of work but on the plus side our run defense was awesome holding a team averaging 237 yards/game to 27 yards is what we needed to do after Illinois St ran all over us.

stevdock
10-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Eaves int. return was a turning point in the game. If we dont get that I think we prolly lose. Pass defense was below average at best yesterday.

I thought the pass defense was fine considering ISU picked apart the zone. All ISU did all game long was throw behind the LB's and in front of the Safeties. Really smart coaching on ISU's part and I have been waiting for a team to do that. Also not much our players could have done differently considering they don't call the plays. When our DB's had one on one coverage I thought most of them did very well. Banks got picked on for a while is the only bad coverage that I can think on when it was one on one.

ndsubison1
10-24-2010, 07:42 PM
I thought the pass defense was fine considering ISU picked apart the zone. All ISU did all game long was throw behind the LB's and in front of the Safeties. Really smart coaching on ISU's part and I have been waiting for a team to do that. Also not much our players could have done differently considering they don't call the plays. When our DB's had one on one coverage I thought most of them did very well. Banks got picked on for a while is the only bad coverage that I can think on when it was one on one.

True. Im just glad we didnt give up many big plays. D played a lot better yesterday and it helped having Gratzek in there

tony
10-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Some very good play in the secondary, but it's a team game. Second half of the game the D was getting into their backfield a lot and that helped out the secondary a lot.

BTW, I know Marcus Williams is called a redshirt freshman but, really, this is his first year with the program and that makes his performance that much more impressive. Great job snuffing out the reverse, for example.

99Bison
10-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Have been very impressed with Williams all year... every team picks on banks when there is man coverage. And when not man coverage and no pressure by front 4 the zone gets picked apart as it should. Eaves and Heagle at safeties looking good.

HerdBot
10-24-2010, 09:57 PM
4-Gatlin looked really impressive last night in pass coverage. He was helped off the field near the end of the game. Will he be playing next week?

1-Williams has been doing a good job IMO for a RFr.

13-Banks gets a lot of tackles for a CB, but not for the right reasons. Nickleback material IMO.

7-Eaves had a great interception/TD. He's got a nose for the ball. He's pretty good in coverage during spread offensive formations.

36-Lemon won't be back next year. I'm not too worried about that.

I think Lemon is really good at stopping the run but some of his pass coverage is so so. He's a great leader and an intense guy. I think he's a blackbelt too so I wouldn't piss him off if I were you. :)

Marcus Williams is already a good player and he's just a freshman!

Banks has been decent but needs to do it more consistantly.

Eaves - Great suprise. He reminds me of some other former Bison guys who are playing on sundays.. not quite there yet but some day he will be. Has a knack for the big hit

Gatlin - I remember last year thinking he got beat AGAIN? This year he seems to be making plays. It's tough for a JUCO to learn the offense quickly. Must finally be catching on.

KTF
10-24-2010, 10:02 PM
I think Lemon is really good at stopping the run but some of his pass coverage is so so. He's a great leader and an intense guy. I think he's a blackbelt too so I wouldn't piss him off if I were you. :)

Marcus Williams is already a good player and he's just a freshman!

Banks has been decent but needs to do it more consistantly.

Eaves - Great suprise. He reminds me of some other former Bison guys who are playing on sundays.. not quite there yet but some day he will be. Has a knack for the big hit

Gatlin - I remember last year thinking he got beat AGAIN? This year he seems to be making plays. It's tough for a JUCO to learn the offense quickly. Must finally be catching on.

I think you meant defense ;-)