PDA

View Full Version : ISU post game analysis.............

WYOBISONMAN
10-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Put the post game analysis here.........

onbison09
10-23-2010, 11:16 PM
It's a win but it's ugly. I'm hopeful for the future though. If we could play two complete halves, we'd be good and next year could be awesome.

WYOBISONMAN
10-23-2010, 11:17 PM
OK Bisonbabe......this gem is the quote of the WEEK.....from the gameday thread.....LOL......ROFL!!!!!:D

We all want it now but we also need to have some maturity and be patient

Wally
10-23-2010, 11:18 PM
We extended ISU's road losing streak to 36 games thank God.

JSUBison
10-23-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm glad DJ isn't a senior. :)

onbison09
10-23-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm glad DJ isn't a senior. :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

semobison
10-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Defense played much better! Offense was shakey. Penalties were terrible! I mean, holding on a field goal attempt!!

Bisonwinagn
10-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Defense played the best game of the season by far except maybe Kansas. It helped alot to get Gratzek back and they will have a chance in the next few games if they get some other players back. Offense needs to clean things up and play four quarters. Playoffs start against SUI. :D

bisonmike2
10-23-2010, 11:31 PM
it's a win but I'm not excited about a 12 point victory over a team that hasn't won a road game in 6 years. Play like that next week against SIU and they will beat us by 20.

Bisonwinagn
10-23-2010, 11:40 PM
it's a win but I'm not excited about a 12 point victory over a team that hasn't won a road game in 6 years. Play like that next week against SIU and they will beat us by 20.

You might be right, but if we had played defense like we did today against ISURed and YSU we would have beaten them by 20.

Also it looks like UNI is going to run away with the conference again. :banghead:

NDSUstudent
10-23-2010, 11:41 PM
It was a win, still a ton of room for improvement but at least the defense finally showed up.

NDSUstudent
10-23-2010, 11:42 PM
You might be right, but if we had played defense like we did today against ISURed and YSU we would have beaten them by 20.

Also it looks like UNI is going to run away with the conference again. :banghead:

Yeah, the tackling was much better and it seemed like we were a step quicker rather than slower. I think we held them to 27 yards on the ground which is a huge improvement over the last three games. Things should only get better coming off the bye.

WYOBISONMAN
10-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Yeah, the tackling was much better and it seemed like we were a step quicker rather than slower. I think we held them to 27 yards on the ground which is a huge improvement over the last three games. Things should only get better coming off the bye.

Taking the run away really let us nail the throwing game as well.

North Side
10-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Lets take a break, get healthy, and win 3 more! :nod:

NDSUstudent
10-23-2010, 11:50 PM
DJ is at 841 yards, creeping closer and closer to 1,000. The guy impresses me more each week.

Monster game today 146 and 2 TDs on the ground and 86 yards receiving.

HerdBot
10-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Put the post game analysis here.........

We won. It was an ugly win but you don't get style points. We should have won by 30 points and were clearly the superior team, like I said before.

- Pentalites - Ridiculous. 13 of them and at the worst possible times. We took a field goal off the board. We jumped offsides on a punt and ended up giving them the ball and they scored.

- Special teams. Missed 2 field goals and had one taken away because of a stupid penalty. There is 9 points right there.

- Defense. Bailed out the offense. Clearly we needed Gratzek badly. I was pretty impressed with them overall. May be getting closer to the team that started the year.

- Offense. Sloppy. Ugly. Penalties. Could have done better.

- Attendance: Students were a non factor.They should give up about a thousand seats to real fans instead of whining about not getting enough.

Bottom line: win the next 3 and we go to the playoffs. Good job!

Bison"FANatic"
10-24-2010, 12:44 AM
This about sums up this team, I just hope the right one shows up enough the next 3 games.

Dissociative identity disorder

Dissociative identity disorder is characterized by the presence of two or more distinct or split identities or personality states that continually have power over the teams behavior

Bisonguy
10-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Good news- I found the first half Bison offense.

Bad news- It was located on the side of a milk carton.

Thank goodness for that pick 6. Prior to that the team and crowd were pretty much lifeless.

mebisonII
10-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Good to come up with a win, but, man, penalties, penalties, penalties. What was DJ's final tally? Over 100 yds?* The next two opponents are tougher and we can't give away an entire football field and expect to stay in it.

Anywho, that game was a must-win, and we won, so Wa-hoo!

And I'm glad to hear that the rainforest perservered despite the set-backs.

*DJKyRo's final tally on penalty yards, not #8's yards, which I know were over 200 total.

Tatanka
10-24-2010, 01:09 AM
It's a W, even if that's followed by a T and and F.

sambini
10-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Just win baby

EndZoneQB
10-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Us>MVFC. Bottomline! haha jk, met some great ISU fans today, looking forward to the trip to Terre Haute next year!

TheBisonator
10-24-2010, 01:37 AM
1. Thank God we won.

2. Thank God we have a bye.

TheBisonator
10-24-2010, 01:53 AM
Marist, Rhode Island, Georgetown, Gardner-Webb, Davidson, Youngstown State, Texas State, Indiana State, Sacramento State, Illinois State and Portland State were all mathematically eliminated from at-large contention for the playoffs with their losses today.

Either McNeese State or SE Louisiana will be eliminated in the next half hour or so. Tennessee State is close to losing, so they would be eliminated.

North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Western Illinois, Northern Iowa and Missouri State are the only remaining MVFC teams that are still eligible for an at-large playoff bid.

If Tennessee State loses, that would make exactly 50 teams in the FCS (not counting SWAC or Ivy schools or transitionals) fighting for 20 playoff spots. Assuming all AQ winners are within that 50, that means 40 teams are fighting for 10 spots. And we're one of them.

1bizon1
10-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Some of the play calling today was iffy. Anyone notice when the defense was jumping, waving, yelling trying to get Bohls' attention to accept/decline the illegal receiver downfield call? Both the non-call, offensesive pass interference and then later the defensive interference (horse poop call) in the same corner of the field. Same official and same call/play that others have mentioned. OUCH!

bisonfan11
10-24-2010, 02:34 AM
Offense: Looked okay, once again D.J. looked great. Jose had his up and down moments. On the positive he was not a turn-over machine and for the most part didn't think of himself as a full back. The offensive line was a mixed bag today. The blocking was great keeping Mohler protected well enough, and the run blocking was outstanding as NDSU rushed for 196 yards (McNorton had 146 of those yards). However the O-Line had their fair share of penalties as well, and the Bison were only 4-12 on 3rd downs.

Defense: Looked fairly well with the return of Matt Graztek. NDSU held ISU-Blue's best running back Darrius Gates to 14 yards on 9 carries and held ISU-Blue to a total of 27 yards rushing. Even better is that ISU-Blue was 3-15 on 3rd down conversions. The only concerning thing I could find is that ISU-Blue's QB had 330 yards passing on our defense. I do feel however, that we will be better with the bye coming up next week as our banged up starters on D will get a chance to heal more, and should make the Bison defense more formidable against SIU, SDSU, and MSU.

Over all it was a decent win. Indiana State is much improved, so the fact that we beat them and held them to 15 points is a good thing. I think it would be good if the coaching staff focuses more on gametime discipline. I mean 14 penalties for 128 yards is unacceptable. Yes, this team is young, but they are a talented team, and most good young teams are able to look more impressive as the season goes on. The offensive line has improved tremendously (at least in controlling the line of scrimmage), but they now must improve mentally and limit their mental mistakes (off-sides, and holds). Let's hope that Bohl and co. gets this team to be more disciplined. If that happens, we very well might be able to beat SIU, SDSU, and MSU and finish 8-3 and POSSIBLY sneak into the play-offs (however I see the Bison losing 1 of the last 3 games and finishing 7-4 just missing the play-offs).

bison93
10-24-2010, 02:35 AM
Defense played solid and carried the team even scoring when the offense couldn't. Offense is AWOL.. Mohler was reluctant or unable to through the deep ball and held on to the ball too long. Vigen better figure out how to get the offense jump started or Southern Illinois and SDSU are going to thump us.. :hide:

bisonfan11
10-24-2010, 02:48 AM
Defense played solid and carried the team even scoring when the offense couldn't. Offense is AWOL.. Mohler was reluctant or unable to through the deep ball and held on to the ball too long. Vigen better figure out how to get the offense jump started or Southern Illinois and SDSU are going to thump us.. :hide:

It doesn't help that NDSU has 1 wide receiver in Holloway. The few times Mohler threw the ball down field the receivers (Holloway and Mack) failed catch the ball. Yeah Holloway is legit, but there is no #2 WR on the Bison team limiting the passing game. I think Mohler is a little reluctant because he has faith in Holloway and no one else, and most of the time the opposing team's defense is able to take away Holloway, therefore leaving Mohler with no other passing options (except for McNorton on screen plays). Not that I am a Mohler apolgist (because I firmly believe that once Jensen is healed the team is his), but this team does not have any other weapons in the passing game except for Holloway and McNorton (however maybe Voightlander should be used more as a WR like he was along with McNorton last year).

DjKyRo
10-24-2010, 02:51 AM
It doesn't help that NDSU has 1 wide receiver in Holloway. The few times Mohler threw the ball down field the receivers (Holloway and Mack) failed catch the ball. Yeah Holloway is legit, but there is no #2 WR on the Bison team limiting the passing game. I think Mohler is a little reluctant because he has faith in Holloway and no one else, and most of the time the opposing team's defense is able to take away Holloway, therefore leaving Mohler with no other passing options (except for McNorton on screen plays). Not that I am a Mohler apolgist (because I firmly believe that once Jensen is healed the team is his), but this team does not have any other weapons in the passing game except for Holloway and McNorton (however maybe Voightlander should be used more as a WR like he was along with McNorton last year).

I'd say Howard is becoming a better WR. I'm still not sold on Mack, and Duchscher has been nowhere since getting on scholarship.

bisonfan11
10-24-2010, 03:02 AM
I'd say Howard is becoming a better WR. I'm still not sold on Mack, and Duchscher has been nowhere since getting on scholarship.

I hope that Howard continues to do well. That would help Mohler out a lot to be able to not only to have Holloway as a reliable target, but Howard as well.

TheBisonator
10-24-2010, 03:03 AM

That's some awesome positivity there.

Facts
10-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Figure 1. Pictoral summary of the 2010 NDSU football season and Bisonville.
http://ieet.org/images/coaster.jpg

SUBISON247
10-24-2010, 04:16 AM
in my opinion
run defense: wow looked like the old days
pass defense: did alright, but we gave up too much in the middle of the field. Lots of green space in our zone today.

Overall we were lucky to win this one. We need to clean up the penalties and stiffen up the zone.

bisoneer
10-24-2010, 04:20 AM
Great Defense kept us in this one and even got us some free points!! The penalties need to be more balanced out so can someone get on the refs about that please... DJ is becoming a phenom with those big plays and believe me we need them as we still do not have a sustained offense as Mohler is so inconsistent.... he needs to work on his decision making skills.

99Bison
10-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Generally speaking... horrible emotion to start the game as usual. Horrible passing offense and QB play. Horrible penalties by refs and team alike. Great Defense, won the game for us, created all the momentum, turned the game around. Good running offense. Avg to poor play calling. Indiana state looked about 10% better than they were the past 2 years.

99Bison
10-24-2010, 04:52 AM
I hope that Howard continues to do well. That would help Mohler out a lot to be able to not only to have Holloway as a reliable target, but Howard as well.

I believe he is the solid #2 WR in reality and is good. However, Jose has zero pocket presence and typically immediately looks for dumping to the RB's... so yea doesn't really matter.

Twentysix
10-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Those teams that lost to isu must be bad. Cause were bad. Not saying we wont win more games, but were bad. Our pass coverage was the worse its been all year. We had what 3 pass breakups? All the other incompletes are just dropped balls by the other team. I love the "lets let there receivers go 20 yards deep and stop, we will continue to play little kids rules football and allow the reciever the required 5 yard cushin while he waits for the ball to be thrown to him or the other reciever who has done the same thing." Oh what do you know 22 yd completion by ISUb. Good thing the reciever decided to fall down instead of being tackled cause he could of put up even more yards.

We did come through when it counted. But that was some shitty pass coverage. A bit improved in the second half. W/o the momentum from that interception we lose this game imo.

P.s. Isn't the band way over stepping there bounds? They played through every kickoff return and played well into the play clock 10 to 15 times last night. I can't believe we weren't flaged for artifical noise.

PotG should of been tied between Eaves and Turner. Turner wrestling that ball out of the defenses hands in the endzone was fantastic play on his part, I thought he was down but the refs make weird calls all the time and that one went our way.

NDSU1980
10-24-2010, 01:06 PM
AS others have said, clean up the penalties and the bye should help us heal. Didn't think it was a bad game, certainly not to the extant that a couple of you downers are carrying on about. Jose is getting the job done and we will get those last 3 W's.

Twentysix
10-24-2010, 01:18 PM
AS others have said, clean up the penalties and the bye should help us heal. Didn't think it was a bad game, certainly not to the extant that a couple of you downers are carrying on about. Jose is getting the job done and we will get those last 3 W's.

The team has potential. No doubt about it. They just need to clean it up and play tighter defense. We need to get over our red zone fear aswell.

Bison Dan
10-24-2010, 02:11 PM
The team has potential. No doubt about it. They just need to clean it up and play tighter defense. We need to get over our red zone fear aswell.

I hate it when we play zone coverage but in this case with their qb I think our game plan was to keep the ball in front of our cb's. and not let him make the big play. Our freshman played great and I think everyone can see improvement from game to game. This qb scored 59 against ISU so we did a good job on D. Penalties need to go away and offense is not hitting cylinders.

99Bison
10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Can't complain about the D at all this game... they won the game. They gave up 1/yd per rush with 26 attempts, they other team threw 47 passes. The defensive system worked well against this opponent, not giving up the big play and making them work for all the yards a chunk at a time. Yes it's mildly annoying to watch the zone get picked apart with no pressure. However, when we actually brought pressure the QB couldn't handle it at all.

Biggest wtf of the night on calls:
1. Calling time out at the end of first half after opponent takes knee with 26 seconds left when you only have 2 time outs.
2. Calling second and final time out and end of first half after opponent takes knee with 6 seconds left, after the knee was taken at 19 seconds.
3. Calling a punt block in 1st quarter tied 0-0 against Indiana State, who has some confidence from winning last 3 games and needs 5 yards for a first down at midfield.

MHDBisonfan
10-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Can't complain about the D at all this game... they won the game. They gave up 1/yd per rush with 26 attempts, they other team threw 47 passes. The defensive system worked well against this opponent, not giving up the big play and making them work for all the yards a chunk at a time. Yes it's mildly annoying to watch the zone get picked apart with no pressure. However, when we actually brought pressure the QB couldn't handle it at all.

Biggest wtf of the night on calls:
1. Calling time out at the end of first half after opponent takes knee with 26 seconds left when you only have 2 time outs.
2. Calling second and final time out and end of first half after opponent takes knee with 6 seconds left, after the knee was taken at 19 seconds.
3. Calling a punt block in 1st quarter tied 0-0 against Indiana State, who has some confidence from winning last 3 games and needs 5 yards for a first down at midfield.

I thought perhaps Coach Miles might call HIS timeouts at the end of the game when we were taking a knee, just to poke back. I give him credit for being classy enough not to do that.

Bisonguy
10-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Those teams that lost to isu must be bad. Cause were bad. Not saying we wont win more games, but were bad. Our pass coverage was the worse its been all year. We had what 3 pass breakups? All the other incompletes are just dropped balls by the other team. I love the "lets let there receivers go 20 yards deep and stop, we will continue to play little kids rules football and allow the reciever the required 5 yard cushin while he waits for the ball to be thrown to him or the other reciever who has done the same thing." Oh what do you know 22 yd completion by ISUb. Good thing the reciever decided to fall down instead of being tackled cause he could of put up even more yards.

We did come through when it counted. But that was some shitty pass coverage. A bit improved in the second half. W/o the momentum from that interception we lose this game imo.

P.s. Isn't the band way over stepping there bounds? They played through every kickoff return and played well into the play clock 10 to 15 times last night. I can't believe we weren't flaged for artifical noise.

PotG should of been tied between Eaves and Turner. Turner wrestling that ball out of the defenses hands in the endzone was fantastic play on his part, I thought he was down but the refs make weird calls all the time and that one went our way.

The band was fine. SDSU continues playing after the ball is snapped.

Bison"FANatic"
10-24-2010, 03:09 PM
I was interested to see how the reception between coaches was going to be at the end of the game. They were actually shaking hands and hugged so it was nothing like the way Farley and Bohl greet each other. That end of the first half gamesmanship was just plain interesting. I wonder what the thought process was behind it? It not like the defensive line was blowing up the center trying to get a bad snap after the time outs???????

buffalobob
10-24-2010, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=bisonfan11;418291]Offense: Looked okay, once again D.J. looked great. The offensive line was a mixed bag today. The blocking was great keeping Mohler protected well enough, and the run blocking was outstanding as NDSU rushed for 196 yards (McNorton had 146 of those yards). However the O-Line had their fair share of penalties as well, and the Bison were only 4-12 on 3rd downs.

Tell me one time the O-line was penalized in yesterday's game.

IzzyFlexion
10-24-2010, 03:42 PM

ISU plays to their strength. When you have a QB that talented receivers play more inspired, run better routes, and as a result tend to find ways to get open more often than not.
I certainly don't think that NDSU is "a bad team". But if they do make the playoffs, I fear it may be one and done. But, it would be a big step forward from the last two seasons and the youth will continue to gel and improve for 2011.
Oh, and big ups to Daniel Eaves. TTHS Wildcat pride! I hope his family was there to see the game

99Bison
10-24-2010, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=bisonfan11;418291]Offense: Looked okay, once again D.J. looked great. The offensive line was a mixed bag today. The blocking was great keeping Mohler protected well enough, and the run blocking was outstanding as NDSU rushed for 196 yards (McNorton had 146 of those yards). However the O-Line had their fair share of penalties as well, and the Bison were only 4-12 on 3rd downs.

Tell me one time the O-line was penalized in yesterday's game.

You are correct. There were no oline penalty's other than a couple on special teams - and they were not oline men. Most of the holding penalties where on RB, TE, etc.

ndsubison1
10-24-2010, 07:17 PM
1st half was brutal. 2nd half we looked much better. Two things the coach's must address with this team heading into the bye week and SIU in two weeks: 1. Pass coverage/defense and 2. Penalties. Evans is below average in coverage at best, I just dont know if he has the range to cover so much ground in the middle of the field in the tampa 2. Indiana St. seemed to exploit the area between our corners and safeties along the sideline. We didnt give up a lot of big plays, which is great, but pass coverage must improve if we want to win our next 2-3 games and make the playoffs.

On the bright side, that INT by Eaves was the turning point in the game. Our offense was struggling and if we dont get that pick 6 we prolly end up losing. It def. gave us some spark. Mohler was decent yesterday. 12-20 I believe with 185 yards or something like that. 0 TD but respectable

stevdock
10-24-2010, 07:54 PM
While Eaves stepping in front of that ball for the Pick 6 was huge, that was a forced pick by the D-Line. They were all over the QB, collapsed the pocket quickly, and forced a very bad throw. Probably his worst throw of the day.

Bison"FANatic"
10-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Wasn't it a well timed blitz as I thought it was Preston that was bearing down on the QB?

Tatanka
10-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Wasn't it a well timed blitz as I thought it was Preston that was bearing down on the QB?

Sure was, and sure was.

Tatanka
10-24-2010, 11:10 PM

It's about time our band took advantage and filled in the dead spots with some good noise. They didn't overstep one iota. Hell, IIRC when we played in Mississippi Valley State the band played over the game routinely, such as it was. Keep up the good work GSMB! Hell, if Youngstown can use artificial noisemakers, the band should be able to play until the offense breaks huddle just like everywhere else.

Oh, and they've played through kickoff returns for a long, long, LONG time.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
10-25-2010, 01:10 AM
I believe he is the solid #2 WR in reality and is good. However, Jose has zero pocket presence and typically immediately looks for dumping to the RB's... so yea doesn't really matter.

Sure that's bad for Jose to always dump it to the RB's but that's actually not killing us! DJ had 86 receiving yards yesterday!!

Hammersmith
10-25-2010, 02:26 AM

The band can play as long as the ball is dead. If they play through the snap, then the refs can flag them. As for Wipeout during the kickoffs, I think that is technically illegal, but it's tradition and the refs don't call it. I saw a quote from the rulebook that said drum cadences are allowed during kickoffs, but I don't think it said anything about the winds playing. I wonder if that's why Wipeout was chosen? A big chunk of the song is drum solos, so maybe it satisfies the spirit of the rule if not the letter.

And, yes, the southern bands totally flout the rules and don't get called. It's part of the culture. For them, the game exists so the band has a place to play; the football team is an afterthought.

CAS4127
10-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Bottom line on this game as the we beat a physically out-matched team just like we should have. It was an ugly win. The D played fairly well, and the offense did enough to win. Biggest "hole" I saw on both sides of the ball was the lack of "physicality". We were much bigger, stronger and even a little faster than they were, yet we did not physically pound the shit out of a team that was not capable of matching up with us. I hardly even heard a pad crack the entire game, and, at times, you could have heard a pin drop in there. SIU and SDSU will be way more physical, so we had better get that issue addressed asap, even though Bohl broached the same issue after the UNI game. We get beat by teams that are more physical than us (UNI and WIU for example), and SIU and SDSU are that type of team.

NorthernBison
10-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Bottom line on this game as the we beat a physically out-matched team just like we should have. It was an ugly win. The D played fairly well, and the offense did enough to win. Biggest "hole" I saw on both sides of the ball was the lack of "physicality". We were much bigger, stronger and even a little faster than they were, yet we did not physically pound the shit out of a team that was not capable of matching up with us. I hardly even heard a pad crack the entire game, and, at times, you could have heard a pin drop in there. SIU and SDSU will be way more physical, so we had better get that issue addressed asap, even though Bohl broached the same issue after the UNI game. We get beat by teams that are more physical than us (UNI and WIU for example), and SIU and SDSU are that type of team.

Holy crap!!!

I saw you out in the tailgate lot but I didn't see you sitting next to me at the game. How the heck did you hear me talking about the Bison not being physical enough? Maybe we were just thinking the same thing?

CAS4127
10-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Holy crap!!!

I saw you out in the tailgate lot but I didn't see you sitting next to me at the game. How the heck did you hear me talking about the Bison not being physical enough? Maybe we were just thinking the same thing?

Omnipresence!!

TransAmBison
10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Our punting team will get challenged by SDSU for sure...maybe SIU. Mark it down. SDSU will charge and I am really concerned they will block at least one. That game will be won on special teams play. Also, if they do not set up the screen better we will not be successful on that play against better teams. Oh it worked this last game, but a more disciplined team will we waiting for it. I still want to see a four wide out set just to add some confusion to the defense. I don't really care if we don't have four good wide outs...they can just be a diversion for a qb run if nothing else.

CAS4127
10-25-2010, 05:40 PM
And, although probably not the correct thread 4 this, but I think the Bison should go back to the 3-4 defensive base. I can elaborate more, but I will save that for face-to-face conversations. For starters, tho, speedy, but smaller LB's, especially the outside LB's, thrive in a 3-4. Think we have any??!! No, I'm not saying we should do it now, but I think the staff should consider it for Spring ball and next year! The Tampa 2 is putting too much pressure on our safeties ans inside LB (recall seem routes from Saturdays game here).

tcbison
10-25-2010, 05:55 PM
And, although probably not the correct thread 4 this, but I think the Bison should go back to the 3-4 defensive base. I can elaborate more, but I will save that for face-to-face conversations. For starters, tho, speedy, but smaller LB's, especially the outside LB's, thrive in a 3-4. Think we have any??!! No, I'm not saying we should do it now, but I think the staff should consider it for Spring ball and next year! The Tampa 2 is putting too much pressure on our safeties ans inside LB (recall seem routes from Saturdays game here).

My biggest concern would be getting a NT for the 3-4. We don't have one currently on the roster to be a big NT, and Gratzek graduates this year. I see what you are saying about the LB but IMHO we don't have a front 3 for the 3-4.

CAS4127
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
NT does not have to be that big in a 3-4. Can be in the 6' to 6.2/250-260 range, especially if he was a top-notch wrestler at some point in HS carrier.

tcbison
10-25-2010, 07:47 PM
NT does not have to be that big in a 3-4. Can be in the 6' to 6.2/250-260 range, especially if he was a top-notch wrestler at some point in HS carrier.

250 lbs NT effective in a 3-4 scheme. Yeah, that sounds like a recipe for success.

CAS4127
10-25-2010, 07:50 PM
250 lbs NT effective in a 3-4 scheme. Yeah, that sounds like a recipe for success.

Ya, your right, I would know nothin about it!!;)

Bison"FANatic"
10-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Usually a good nose tackle in the 3-4 is a heck of a lot bigger than 250. I have to agree with TC on this one. The nose tackle in a 3-4 has to at least make the guards account for him otherwise the ILBS are going to get eaten alive by the line. That is why it is best to have a very big (size wise not height) and strong guy at the nose that will keep demand a double team.

BadlandsBison
10-25-2010, 08:07 PM
3-4 is better against the spread in my opinion. The qb makes a read on a d-lineman when running the spread option, so more defenders in the second level is more effective.

ndsubison1
10-25-2010, 08:49 PM
My biggest concern would be getting a NT for the 3-4. We don't have one currently on the roster to be a big NT, and Gratzek graduates this year. I see what you are saying about the LB but IMHO we don't have a front 3 for the 3-4.

I see Perry as a potential NT for that kind of defense

SDbison
10-25-2010, 08:53 PM
I think NDSU's pass defense absolutely sucked against Indiana State. Keep that up and SIU and SDSU will each rack up 400 yards in the air.

NDSUstudent
10-25-2010, 08:59 PM
I think NDSU's pass defense absolutely sucked against Indiana State. Keep that up and SIU and SDSU will each rack up 400 yards in the air.

SIU and SDSU can go right ahead and throw 47 passes. That means they'll be struggling on the ground and we will likely win.

SDbison
10-25-2010, 09:10 PM
SIU and SDSU can go right ahead and throw 47 passes. That means they'll be struggling on the ground and we will likely win.
Keep fooling yourself.

NDSUstudent
10-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Keep fooling yourself.

The pass defense was fine last week, if a team throws 50 passes they are going to complete passes and gain yards through the air. Especially against our defensive scheme which is to prevent the big play.

I thought third down was your big worry, ISU Blue was 3 for 15 on third down and 0 for 2 on fourth down. The defense made plays when they had to, still some execution problems(mostly penalties) but that is correctable.

HerdBot
10-25-2010, 09:32 PM

Because we shut down the run game. They had 28 yards. That's the cover 2. Bend but don't break and give up field goals, no big plays for TDs, and limited points.

DjKyRo
10-25-2010, 10:32 PM
I just want to point out that none of the schools we play from here on out will have Jake Locker's backup in as a transfer. Defense gave up a hell of a lot through the air but give at least some credit to a good quarterback.

BisoninNWMN
10-26-2010, 01:05 AM
I just want to point out that none of the schools we play from here on out will have Jake Locker's backup in as a transfer. Defense gave up a hell of a lot through the air but give at least some credit to a good quarterback.

With our Tampa-2 and soft zones we play....ANY good QB can complete a good % of his passes.

Middle of the field and flats are always open against us. The corners consistently play 10-12 yds off the ball. Teams have exploited this all year and the last 3 teams will as well.

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 03:03 PM
With our Tampa-2 and soft zones we play....ANY good QB can complete a good % of his passes.

Middle of the field and flats are always open against us. The corners consistently play 10-12 yds off the ball. Teams have exploited this all year and the last 3 teams will as well.

There you go! The 3-4 on the other hand, has less soft spots and gives you more realistic blitz opportunities from the LB's rather than the corners of safeties, expecially the outside LB's. People are figuring out the Tampa 2 and exploiting it. A 3-4, while not hard to figure out either, allows a defense with better players than the offense it is up against to attack and shut them down. Tampa 2 is not designed for that. So, if we have such great talent, we should be able to run the 3-4, if not, keep continuing to "hide" that fact by running the T2--just sayin!

semobison
10-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Hey. we only gave up 15 points to a team that had been lighting it up. If we can stop the run on a weekly basis, from here on out and force the other team to throw, I like our chances! Sure we are going to give up some yardage through the air, but its hard to win in this league if you cant run the ball!

Bison"FANatic"
10-26-2010, 03:28 PM
One of the problems with the 3-4 is that you have to have the people to run it. Lb's are one of the major positions for injuries and even a slight injury can be very glaring. We have not had enough depth at LB to run a 4-3 the last few years much less throw in another LB for the 3 -4.

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 03:33 PM
One of the problems with the T-2 is that you have to have the people to run it.

The T-2 was originally designed because of the players Tampa had at the time, not as some sort of epiphany from God.

stevdock
10-26-2010, 03:38 PM
As was said though, we don't have enough LB's to run a 3-4 though. Plus other than Gratzek I don't think we have a NT that can handle that middle lineman position either. This team has been recruited to play the 4-3. Whether we switch or not, would ultimately depend on whether we could get the right personnel to run it.

Bison"FANatic"
10-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Wow where did that epiphany come from really you have to have the people to run a D???? We don't have the people to run a 3-4. It was looked at in spring football in 09 and it went nowhere. It would be a failure to go to a 3-4 at this time with who we have. Heck if we don't have a person step up for Gratzek next year the 4-3 Tampa 2 will be in trouble because we have to have someone in that position that can get pressure on the QB. Look what happened when he was out this year. I also don't see the 280 290 lb plug with speed and leverage on our roster at this time that can control both A gaps and free up the ILBS in a 3-4.

just my .02

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Not sayin we have the players to do it now. I just think we should consider seriously a switch away for the T-2. It was "invented" as a special defense because of what Tampa had at the time, and, at least in my opinion, is at the end of it's time for now. Football evolution in a way!

bisonhusker
10-26-2010, 06:28 PM
There you go! The 3-4 on the other hand, has less soft spots and gives you more realistic blitz opportunities from the LB's rather than the corners of safeties, expecially the outside LB's. People are figuring out the Tampa 2 and exploiting it. A 3-4, while not hard to figure out either, allows a defense with better players than the offense it is up against to attack and shut them down. Tampa 2 is not designed for that. So, if we have such great talent, we should be able to run the 3-4, if not, keep continuing to "hide" that fact by running the T2--just sayin!
Time to go find a 6 foot kid weighing in at 250 to plug up the middle on the 3-4........

Bison Dan
10-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Because we shut down the run game. They had 28 yards. That's the cover 2. Bend but don't break and give up field goals, no big plays for TDs, and limited points.

Exactly right - but some people expect perfection in their lives. With this qb the coaches had the defense in the right place all game long. Now if we can cut out the stupid mental mistakes and get Jose to play up we'll be fine. Oh and the O line needs to get going also.

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Time to go find a 6 foot kid weighing in at 250 to plug up the middle on the 3-4........

My word: "attack". Your word: "plug". Difference ya think?!

bisonhusker
10-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Keep fooling yourself.

Your negative attitude on everything is one reason I barely read this board. It is one thing to be fair or critical on some aspects, but it is another thing to be a complete negative nancy on everything that is life. Getting pretty old.

SDbison
10-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Your negative attitude on everything is one reason I barely read this board. It is one thing to be fair or critical on some aspects, but it is another thing to be a complete negative nancy on everything that is life. Getting pretty old.
Telling it like it is.......have to go back to look at who I was replying to with that comment. The Bison football program has spent way to long on the bottom half. Not acceptable with the kind of support this program gets.........

TransAmBison
10-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Husker, it has been three years of crap. Honestly, can't you see how it pushes a fan? I don't know you very well, but from my observations you don't like the program seen in a negative light. You don't like negative things to be talked about. Our best opportunity now is with our backs against the wall we must win out the last 3 games for a shot at the playoffs. SD has a lot of material to work with as far as frustrations go. Yeah, I think he could be a little more positive. Dj could be a little more realistic. I could be a little more serious. Tatanka could be a little more funny. UTH could be a little less of a commie. CAS could make an attempt to actually learn a little about football.

So you don't read the site that often anymore. Some fans don't go to games now. We all find ways to cope. Some cope by venting on here. At least we aren't Cubs fans. Sorry onbison.

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Husker, it has been three years of crap. Honestly, can't you see how it pushes a fan? I don't know you very well, but from my observations you don't like the program seen in a negative light. You don't like negative things to be talked about. Our best opportunity now is with our backs against the wall we must win out the last 3 games for a shot at the playoffs. SD has a lot of material to work with as far as frustrations go. Yeah, I think he could be a little more positive. Dj could be a little more realistic. I could be a little more serious. Tatanka could be a little more funny. UTH could be a little less of a commie. CAS could make an attempt to actually learn a little about football.
So you don't read the site that often anymore. Some fans don't go to games now. We all find ways to cope. Some cope by venting on here. At least we aren't Cubs fans. Sorry onbison.

I think I'm going to change my username to SocalledCAS3-4defenseruntheoptionoffensepostthetrannyway.

bisonhusker
10-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Well said, and I totally agree. I get as pissed off as anyone, trust me. I also am real about things. I expected us to chase a playoff birth this year. That is what we are doing. I expected us to be 0-2 to start the season....so us being 5-3 now isn't that bad....based on what we started with. I am real in that we play a ton of very solid freshman and there are going to be ups and downs.

I just refuse to listen to CONSTANT negative energy. If that is all that is brought to the table, I tune it out. You guys have a great discussion going, and it is appreciated. I don't mind being critical. I for one may absolutely lose it if we don't score first next weekend. The coaches need to have the team fired up. No excuses no explanations. But if you ONLY bitch and moan, it is old.

SDbison
10-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Well said, and I totally agree. I get as pissed off as anyone, trust me. I also am real about things. I expected us to chase a playoff birth this year. That is what we are doing. I expected us to be 0-2 to start the season....so us being 5-3 now isn't that bad....based on what we started with. I am real in that we play a ton of very solid freshman and there are going to be ups and downs.

I just refuse to listen to CONSTANT negative energy. If that is all that is brought to the table, I tune it out. You guys have a great discussion going, and it is appreciated. I don't mind being critical. I for one may absolutely lose it if we don't score first next weekend. The coaches need to have the team fired up. No excuses no explanations. But if you ONLY bitch and moan, it is old.
So you all got me pegged......damn.
Guess I should feel guilty (but I do not) calling out the issues with the disappointing Bison teams we have had put up with for the past 2.5 years. I agree, this one shows a bit of promise, but a long ways to go.
Personally I could care less what you all think about me......I am just that thick skinned. I am not out to win a popularity contest. Bisonhusker......don't listen to or read what I post then. Guess I could call out the errors on some of your posts in basketball and football, but I won't stoop that low. Thanks buddy!

BisoninNWMN
10-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Telling it like it is.......have to go back to look at who I was replying to with that comment. The Bison football program has spent way to long on the bottom half. Not acceptable with the kind of support this program gets.........

Very true!!!!

We should be in the hunt for the conference championship EVERY year!!!

Superfan
10-27-2010, 01:40 PM
So you all got me pegged......damn.
Guess I should feel guilty (but I do not) calling out the issues with the disappointing Bison teams we have had put up with for the past 2.5 years. I agree, this one shows a bit of promise, but a long ways to go.
Personally I could care less what you all think about me......I am just that thick skinned. I am not out to win a popularity contest. Bisonhusker......don't listen to or read what I post then. Guess I could call out the errors on some of your posts in basketball and football, but I won't stoop that low. Thanks buddy!

You calling me a cocksucker?

No I'm not calling you a cocksucker. You want me to call you a cocksucker?

Call me a cocksucker

Ok....You're a cocksucker

You're outta...

Whoa! What the fuck is that?

A scene from Bison Durham.

TransAmBison
10-27-2010, 01:47 PM
A scene from Bison Durham.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Well, isn't that the cat's meow?

Scooter1
10-27-2010, 02:17 PM
My word: "attack". Your word: "plug". Difference ya think?!

Here is the difference.

"An attack plug differs from a regular plug because it is a vibrating, self inserting ribbed plug made from pressure treated Sycamore wood that has been boned so it won't chip or break." - Former ISU grad, "Flight Attendant Kevin".

Tatanka
10-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Here is the difference.

"An attack plug differs from a regular plug because it is a vibrating, self inserting ribbed plug made from pressure treated Sycamore wood that has been boned so it won't chip or break." - Former ISU grad, "Flight Attendant Kevin".

http://blogs.1077theend.com/files/2010/07/Beavis_and_Butthead_horror.png

clenz
10-27-2010, 09:33 PM

Ben Boothby...I think you'll QB remembers him....is 6' listed at 280, but I'd be shocked if that were the case.

Then again he was a great HS wrestler like was mentioned in the thread as being a quality needed

CAS4127
10-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Ben Boothby...I think you're QB remembers him....is 6' listed at 280, but I'd be shocked if that were the case.

Then again he was a great HS wrestler like was mentioned in the thread as being a quality needed

Thank you, clenz! Dat dare was me dat said dat dare!

clenz
10-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Oh wow...that was bad. It's amazing what errors you'll miss from a blackberry

:hide:

Bison"FANatic"
10-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Huge jump from 250 to 280. I still wouldn't want to put a 250 lb nose out there in this league.

CAS4127
10-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Huge jump from 250 to 280. I still wouldn't want to put a 250 lb nose out there in this league.

What I posted:

Not a huge jump, especially if it is fat and not muscle. It is better to be hard-bodied than fat-bodied in college (ya, I know, bring on the co-ed comments). I just think we have the type of LB's in our system that would do better in 3-4 and that the 3-4 would be better for stopping the counters and speed options we are seeing more and more of. Enough said on this one til we need to talk about it. Where's the SIU prediction thread?!