99Bison
10-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Slinde stats of the week:

Redzone efficiency by the numbers
2010 Bison vs. opponents
http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=351

bisonaudit
10-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Why is red zone efficiency measured as a simple percentage of opportunities versus times scoring? Why not opportunities times 7 compared to points scored.

What good is a metric that treats a FG the same as a TD?

Opponents would be at 53% and we'd be at 62% under metric that weights FGs and TDs. This mirrors the average points per trip metric which is in the story but gets burried by the efficiency tables, and deemphasized because there doesn't appear to be much difference between 4.15 and 4.31. However, when expressed as a percentage the same information totally flips the script instead of being 12 percentage points worse than our opponents in the red zone we're actually 9 percentage points better.

OrygunBison
10-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Why is red zone efficiency measured as a simple percentage of opportunities versus times scoring? Why not opportunities times 7 compared to points scored.

Opponents would be at 53% and we'd be at 62% under metric that weights FGs and TDs. This mirrors the average points per trip metric which is in the story but gets burried by the efficiency tables, and deemphasized because there doesn't appear to be much difference between 4.15 and 4.31. However, when expressed as a percentage the same information totally flips the script instead of being 12 percentage points worse than our opponents in the red zone we're actually 9 percentage points better.

Math geek...

bisonaudit
10-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Math geek...

Yes, but, this one really that's not about math. It's about reading comprehension and understanding how football works. The math isn't really geeky its just multiplication and division.

I thought the article was great. Probably the best one in the by the numbers series and far better than anything that the Forum does in the way of statistical work.

I just had a little different perspective and not just compared to the author. I think that everyone does Red Zone Effeciency "wrong." It's a specific knit I like to pick because its another excuse/justification/cover up for coaches kicking to much and not playing offense on all 4 downs enough. A 20yd FG is not 100% efficiency.

The world is just one giant story problem.

CAS4127
10-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Bisonaudit = Baby Einstien!

Scooter1
10-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by bisonaudit

You are exactly right.

Two teams play each other. Team A scores 5 of the 6 times they were in the red zone. Team B scores 6 of the 6 times they were in the red zone. Team a wins the game 35-18.....yeah, but holy shit look at the team B red zone percentage!!!!! :eeek:

We need a new stat called red zone slugging %.

Facts
10-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I've found it works very efficiently. I don't really get too uptight about numbers though...
http://product.expotv.com/2/8/4/284317_150x150.jpg

Bison bison
10-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by bisonaudit

You are exactly right.

Two teams play each other. Team A scores 5 of the 6 times they were in the red zone. Team B scores 6 of the 6 times they were in the red zone. Team a wins the game 35-18.....yeah, but holy shit look at the team B red zone percentage!!!!! :eeek:

We need a new stat called red zone slugging %.

because all statistics save the score are boolsh#t.

BisonAccountant44
10-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Yes, but, this one really that's not about math. It's about reading comprehension and understanding how football works. The math isn't really geeky its just multiplication and division.

I thought the article was great. Probably the best one in the by the numbers series and far better than anything that the Forum does in the way of statistical work.

I just had a little different perspective and not just compared to the author. I think that everyone does Red Zone Effeciency "wrong." It's a specific knit I like to pick because its another excuse/justification/cover up for coaches kicking to much and not playing offense on all 4 downs enough. A 20yd FG is not 100% efficiency.

The world is just one giant story problem.

++++++++++

99Bison
10-21-2010, 09:41 PM
You guys should give the author feedback - good, bad and indifferent. His email is at the end of the articles. He would like it and also give him other ideas.

OR I can play messenger, poorly. :D

BlueBisonRock
10-21-2010, 09:49 PM
You guys should give the author feedback - good, bad and indifferent. His email is at the end of the articles. He would like it and also give him other ideas.

OR I can play messenger, poorly. :D

Doesn't he follow Bisonville like the rest of the Fargo media?

:D