PDA

View Full Version : Hinterstocker Resigns

bisongirl
10-19-2010, 10:51 PM
http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=349

TbonZach
10-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Please tell me this is a really early April Fools joke.

You've been great, Coach! We'll miss you!

onbison09
10-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Good luck Coach!

DjKyRo
10-19-2010, 11:03 PM
WHAT?!?! Why would he do this to us?!

For whatever the reason, good luck Coach. Thanks for all you did for the team!

heymch86
10-19-2010, 11:12 PM
unbelievable. something serious must be up if he couldn't hold out for one more month. I hope everything is ok with his and his family's health.

Big loss for the Bison, coach H restored Bison volleyball to national prominence after it struggled early in the transition.

NWNDBison
10-19-2010, 11:26 PM
unbelievable. something serious must be up if he couldn't hold out for one more month. I hope everything is ok with his and his family's health.

Big loss for the Bison, coach H restored Bison volleyball to national prominence after it struggled early in the transition.

Yes, Hinterstocker's resignation CANNOT be attributed to performance. He's great. It's not his fault, and certainly not JLo's fault that the team is struggling from her deficit. How many teams are there in the Summit League? 9? If we're third, there are 6 other teams wishing they could be Bison.

Something serious is up. Coach Hinterstocker needs our prayers. Best wishes for you, coach, in whatever struggles you face.

99Bison
10-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Hinterstocker has been on big health program this year, also he has been very thin, hopefully he will be ok if it is indeed a health related issue.

Whatever it is does explain the year (not just recently) of the team seeminly being distracted and not up to par.

HandoEX
10-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Wow, he was a GREAT coach. This is just shocking!!! This really, really sucks but best of luck to him!

ISXBISON
10-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Shocking and huge loss for NDSU. To not finish the season--it must be something pretty serious. Best wishes to him and his family!

MN_BISON
10-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Kolpack just tweeted this: It appears the pressures of the job led to NDSU head volleyball coach Erich Hinterstocker to suddenly resign today.

Bisonguy
10-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Kolpack just tweeted this: It appears the pressures of the job led to NDSU head volleyball coach Erich Hinterstocker to suddenly resign today.

That's unfortunate. He did a great job elevating Bison volleyball into DI.

Hammersmith
10-20-2010, 12:37 AM
They also lost their best player to a lacerated liver (seriously, how does that even happen in a non-contact sport?)

Bummer for the Bison. Arguably VB and T&F have been their most consistent successes in D1.

Contact with the floor. Very hard contact with the floor.

Hammersmith
10-20-2010, 12:46 AM

This just keeps getting stranger. I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole.

Tatanka
10-20-2010, 12:51 AM
This just keeps getting stranger. I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole.

Did you at least catch her name before taking the plunge?

NDSUstudent
10-20-2010, 12:57 AM
I can't believe this, I remember talking with Erich back when I was writing with the Spectrum and he was always my favorite person in the athletic department to interview. Great guy and great coach.

It was a pleasure watching his team compete. Good luck to him in the future, he did a lot for Bison volleyball.

ndsubison1
10-20-2010, 12:57 AM

Pressure? Arent we at the top of the standings?

Hammersmith
10-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Did you at least catch her name before taking the plunge?

Goldie. She said her name was Goldie.

sorry, the quote was too good not to use

sambini
10-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Good luck Coach

roadwarrior
10-20-2010, 02:09 AM

Any pressure that was there was pressure he put on himself. Too bad, we will surely miss him!

roadwarrior
10-20-2010, 02:10 AM
They also lost their best player to a lacerated liver (seriously, how does that even happen in a non-contact sport?)

This happened with a collision with another player, so in fact it was a contact sport that day.

Bison bison
10-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Best of luck to Erich and his family.

He kept Bison volleyball exciting.

bisoneer
10-20-2010, 03:03 AM
This is shocking news for all Bison volleyball players and fans alike... Good luck to Coach Hinterstocker and we wish you well...

You players need to hang in there and go out there and play hard for new coach Thompson! Good luck and we will be at the Sat. night game with our HS volleyball playing daughter - good luck!!

unbison
10-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Obviously, I'm not in his head, but couldn't he wait until the season is over?

Everyone has pressure in their jobs, but I think leaving his team in the middle of the season is kind of weak.

Like I said, I'm not sure if their are other circumstances (family, medical, etc.), but I find it quite odd. If there is anything wrong, I hope he can figure it out.

This is d1 sport no offseason......just times when we see him show up 4 work

99Bison
10-20-2010, 03:18 AM
Any pressure that was there was pressure he put on himself.

This ^^^^^^^^^

90BISON
10-20-2010, 05:47 AM
Thank you coach & good luck, you will certainly be missed. :smh:

BisoninNWMN
10-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Good luck to coach H.

Tough time for the Lady Bison VBers.

GO BISON

JSUBison
10-20-2010, 02:08 PM
:confused:

http://volleytalk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=34806

tony
10-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Good luck to Coach Hinterstocker and the volleyball team.

Tatanka
10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Please let's not have this devlove into rumor and innuendo.

EDIT: Too late.

CAS4127
10-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Please let's not have this devlove into rumor and innuendo.

EDIT: Too late.

Nor "devolve" into rumor and innuendo!:D Seriously tho, I feel bad for Coach H, the team, and Bison athletics in general, whatever the reason for the resignation.

GRAFTONBISON
10-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Good luck to Coach H. in the future.

Question though.......Lynn Dorn was quoted on radio as saying the Coach did not address the team himself. Is this typical of a coach resigning? Maybe I am naive, but that doesn't seem very professional to me?

Maybe someone can set me straight.

The Lost Dutchman
10-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Here's the press conference from just a little bit ago with Lynn Dorn. Kari and 2 players were supposed to speak but they were too uncomfertable at the time given the situation. So it's just Lynn Dorn speaking......... http://740thefan.com/uploads/Lynn%20Dorn%20Presser.mp3

Bison bison
10-20-2010, 08:19 PM
thanks, puffy.

The Lost Dutchman
10-20-2010, 08:20 PM
I just feel terrible for these young ladies, they came to this school partly because of Erich and before you know it he's gone. It'd be tough not to feel bitter and upset considering he still has yet to address them.....

Bison bison
10-20-2010, 08:20 PM
no kidding.

man up, erich.

tony
10-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Split the speculation and gossip into their own "special" thread.

Bison bison
10-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Well here's the gist of the press conference.

Erich didn't have work-life balance and decided to step away from coaching.

He coached with intensity and it apparently proved to be too much.

Lynn didn't see it coming.

The team and remaining coaches are pretty emotional right now. As expected, they, especially the upper classman, had a deep relationship with Erich.

SDbison
10-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Well here's the gist of the press conference.

Erich didn't have work-life balance and decided to step away from coaching.

He coached with intensity and it apparently proved to be too much.

Lynn didn't see it coming.

The team and remaining coaches are pretty emotional right now. As expected, they, especially the upper classman, had a deep relationship with Erich.
So the coach pulled on a few players jerseys and used too strong of language now and then....wow.....without more details I have to believe this was all there was.....no verbal berating of a player or true physical abuse. Guess in the PC world coaches are always supposed to be nicey nicey.
WTF? So after reading what someone at Alabama said.......that they would hire him anytime......I can only believe that this is another Lynn Dorn screw up (can she just please step down on her own soon.......what an embarassment).
So the coach was a little tough, yet the players liked him and he was very successfull.........trade that for an unknown and a likely downturn in the success of NDSU's volleybal program. Fantastic. :banghead:

CAS4127
10-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Sorry SD:
http://media.fakeposters.com/results/2010/10/22/27lv8l61wo.jpg

80ALUM
10-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Bismarck Tribune had the article today concerning disgruntled parents. I have yet to see the Conference standings, scores, mention of Conference championships, hosting Summit League Championships, etc., ever in the trib., but this is what they choose to print. I find that very interesting. :ranting:

Tatanka
10-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Bismarck Tribune had the article today concerning disgruntled parents. I have yet to see the Conference standings, scores, mention of Conference championships, hosting Summit League Championships, etc., ever in the trib., but this is what they choose to print. I find that very interesting. :ranting:

But you're not surprised at all are you?

80ALUM
10-22-2010, 08:01 PM
But you're not surprised at all are you?

No, not surprised.

tony
10-22-2010, 08:19 PM
You know what an actual journalist might do? Follow up a story in which two women go to the hospital claiming to have been raped at a college party in Grand Forks and, wham, all of the sudden the whole thing just goes away.

Speculate on that for a minute (just not on this site :) ).

Seriously, that incident really bugs me. WTF kind of show are they running up in Grand Forks anyway?

Tatanka
10-22-2010, 08:45 PM
You know what an actual journalist might do? Follow up a story in which two women go to the hospital claiming to have been raped at a college party in Grand Forks and, wham, all of the sudden the whole thing just goes away.

Seriously, that incident really bugs me. WTF kind of show are they running up in Grand Forks anyway?

I don't know but they sure seem to bury their turds pretty good. It's disgusting, really--a perfect storm of journalistic incompetence and protectionism.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 04:51 AM
I love how someone resigns, and it is printed and people are so shocked and surprised, and then 2 days later bad shit comes out about that person. Don't be so surprised, if someone gives it all up, something is going on.

Jack Handy
10-23-2010, 05:41 AM
My understanding is both alleged victims asked the police to not pursue the charges.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 05:46 AM
My understanding is both alleged victims asked the police to not pursue the charges.

He resigned for a reason, eventually things will come to ahead.

Jack Handy
10-23-2010, 06:08 AM
He resigned for a reason, eventually things will come to ahead.
Sorry, was replying to this post: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showpost.php?p=417500&postcount=43

NWNDBison
10-23-2010, 03:39 PM

The same could be said about USAToday. Sensationalism sells newspapers.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/volleyball/2010-10-22-1813707529_x.htm

I don't know about volleyball, specifically, but following the Bismarck Tribune from time to time, I have been quite pleased about their coverage of NDSU Bison teams. after all, they are 200 miles away.

pancake83
10-26-2010, 12:54 AM

I don't know about volleyball, specifically, but following the Bismarck Tribune from time to time, I have been quite pleased about their coverage of NDSU Bison teams. after all, they are 200 miles away.

It's been so long since I have posted on here, but I felt compelled.

The same sort of issue came up with Zaundra Bina after she coached here for 10+ years with a more than stellar record, lost a bunch of matches in the transition to Div. 1, and former players complained about her being tough and verbally abusive (to some degree) and Lynn sided with the players.

Apparently now, Erich was warned by Lynn about the same issues, and even though he was winning, while doing a damn fine job coaching (and having to deal with their 'quarterback' suffering a freak accident and out for the rest of the season) and they lose a few matches to opponents they shouldn't have. I know this is her job to listen to the players- but she is also very demanding to work for.

I do find it funny that parents are coming out of the wood-work now (after the media hounds any Joe Schmoe with a Bison Volleyball t-shirt in their closet looking for dirt) after the fact and saying he was verbally abusive, and too demanding, and coached with intensity. I'm not totally taking EH's side, but if you ask me - this is what has brought the program back to the top - cripes sakes the Bison were 45th in NCAA rpi last year! Out of 330+ schools, when the Summit League is ranked about 23rd out of 30 or so conferences - do you know how mind-bottling that is??? (yes, Ricky Bobby reference). He brought accountability to the players, coaches, staff, and changed the gym culture of NDSU Volleyball as we knew it, and to where is was in the hey-day, and where it always should be.

Now, if a girl got her feelings hurt because she didn't play as much, I'm sure she could take a little responsibility for herself and look at the big picture of what's best for the team, and maybe make herself better to get her back on the court, and help the TEAM out.

It's easy to point fingers and throw cheap shots when someone is down. I don't necessarily agree with the timing of stepping down mid-season, as it may look selfish, but at least he had the decency to take a self survey and realize he's in over his head for his own safety and health - whatever the actual reason was he stepped away. I hope that he is better, and that he is truly happy and I know he'll be patrolling a sideline somewhere down the line, but I imagine he'll take some time off.

For those of you who say 'Man Up' - anything he does now will draw more attention to himself and away from the team and what they are still trying to accomplish, which is win a conference championship. You can look at it from two sides - I'm sure the girls want an explanation from their old coach - but it would be another distraction for them to think about.

Oh btw...hats off to KT in her coaching debut, and the girls for going 2-0 on the weekend - focusing on the task at hand. This last stretch is where is gets tough.

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but the 'allegations' and rumors are getting out of hand, just trying to protect the man that Erich is. Good luck to the Bison the rest of the way out, and good luck to the Hinterstockers.

Hambone
10-26-2010, 01:16 AM

Seriously? This is now a conspiracy theory? Well if you were to pay any attention instead of thinking that UND gets away with everything, and poor NDSU gets dragged through the mud on everything, you'd know that both of the victims decided that they didn't want any charges pressed. Of course, to all you folks with your damn pity party and the conspiracy theorists have your heads so far up your asses that if you can turn any type of thread into a Sioux bash, you do.

There. Now that's off my chest. Back to the point of the thread - sad that what happened went down as it did, as the Bison had a very good volleyball team. Hopefully they can keep their season going well.....

56BISON73
10-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Seriously? This is now a conspiracy theory? Well if you were to pay any attention instead of thinking that UND gets away with everything, and poor NDSU gets dragged through the mud on everything, you'd know that both of the victims decided that they didn't want any charges pressed. Of course, to all you folks with your damn pity party and the conspiracy theorists have your heads so far up your asses that if you can turn any type of thread into a Sioux bash, you do.

There. Now that's off my chest. Back to the point of the thread - sad that what happened went down as it did, as the Bison had a very good volleyball team. Hopefully they can keep their season going well.....

Who paid them off? Hows that for a conspiracy:D Just to get it started.:D:D

Hambone
10-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Who paid them off? Hows that for a conspiracy:D Just to get it started.:D:D

I see what you did there:)

80ALUM
10-26-2010, 03:05 AM

I guess then it is the times you are following them that they have some kind of coverage 'cause it isn't much. NDSU is actually about 180 miles away and the closest DI school. If proximity has anything to do with it why so much coverage of UND?

BlueBisonRock
10-26-2010, 03:15 AM

During the seven years I lived in Bismarck (80s - before a number of posters here were born), I was never satisfied with the coverage given to the Bison by Abe and the Bismarck Tribune. And yes, there was a small vocal element that made a case for coverage. Abe was an up nord grad and had this philosophy that the eastern part of the state did not exist (with exception for the butthockey).

Fortunatly, televison had been invented and we were able to attend some games through the air waves. And we did make the trip on 94. However, getting a summary and stats of the game in the Monday paper (no sunday edition) was impossible.

Yep, it is ancient history, but I gotta tell you. The coverage did not change when we moved to the Twin Cities (was still lousy).

silkamilkamonico
10-26-2010, 04:45 AM

The same sort of issue came up with Zaundra Bina after she coached here for 10+ years with a more than stellar record, lost a bunch of matches in the transition to Div. 1, and former players complained about her being tough and verbally abusive (to some degree) and Lynn sided with the players.

Apparently now, Erich was warned by Lynn about the same issues, and even though he was winning, while doing a damn fine job coaching (and having to deal with their 'quarterback' suffering a freak accident and out for the rest of the season) and they lose a few matches to opponents they shouldn't have. I know this is her job to listen to the players- but she is also very demanding to work for.

I do find it funny that parents are coming out of the wood-work now (after the media hounds any Joe Schmoe with a Bison Volleyball t-shirt in their closet looking for dirt) after the fact and saying he was verbally abusive, and too demanding, and coached with intensity. I'm not totally taking EH's side, but if you ask me - this is what has brought the program back to the top - cripes sakes the Bison were 45th in NCAA rpi last year! Out of 330+ schools, when the Summit League is ranked about 23rd out of 30 or so conferences - do you know how mind-bottling that is??? (yes, Ricky Bobby reference). He brought accountability to the players, coaches, staff, and changed the gym culture of NDSU Volleyball as we knew it, and to where is was in the hey-day, and where it always should be.

Now, if a girl got her feelings hurt because she didn't play as much, I'm sure she could take a little responsibility for herself and look at the big picture of what's best for the team, and maybe make herself better to get her back on the court, and help the TEAM out.

It's easy to point fingers and throw cheap shots when someone is down. I don't necessarily agree with the timing of stepping down mid-season, as it may look selfish, but at least he had the decency to take a self survey and realize he's in over his head for his own safety and health - whatever the actual reason was he stepped away. I hope that he is better, and that he is truly happy and I know he'll be patrolling a sideline somewhere down the line, but I imagine he'll take some time off.

For those of you who say 'Man Up' - anything he does now will draw more attention to himself and away from the team and what they are still trying to accomplish, which is win a conference championship. You can look at it from two sides - I'm sure the girls want an explanation from their old coach - but it would be another distraction for them to think about.

Oh btw...hats off to KT in her coaching debut, and the girls for going 2-0 on the weekend - focusing on the task at hand. This last stretch is where is gets tough.

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but the 'allegations' and rumors are getting out of hand, just trying to protect the man that Erich is. Good luck to the Bison the rest of the way out, and good luck to the Hinterstockers.

http://madtown.cc/d/27616-1/Slow-Clap.gif

SDSUAlum08
10-26-2010, 05:54 AM

This. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: