PDA

View Full Version : Jr college & FBS transfers

Bison"FANatic"
10-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I understand that it is best to have a home grown football team that was recruited by us totally. But has this been a area the last 3 years that we are totally missing the boat. Willson is dang good this year and Howard (strange story with moving up a division, I don't know where to put him as it is very rare) Yuen did his job the last few years.

This is some of the players and their stats from the 3 teams to beat us this year. I know some had some good transfer DB's and other transfer players also but tough to quantify that out of the stats and I didn't look it up further.

UNI
Tirrell Rennie Community College 172 yards passing, 123 yards rushing

Western Illinois
Coulter Ray Michigan State 106 yards rushing Led team
Terrian Crump JC (I think) 75 yards receiving Led team
Lito Senatus College of Sequias (JC????) 45 yards receiving 2 TD 2nd on team to Crump

Illinois State
Ashton Leggit Michigan State 146 yards rushing 61 yards receiving 1 TD
Erik Smith Wisconsin 113 yard rushing 30 yards receiving

I have been very happy the last few years with the HS recruiting. But are we missing the boat by not trying to bring in a few more transfers. Is it another downfall of this staff the last few years? Not all will work out as we found out this year but we have been killed at the skill position by transfer players. Are we throwing in the towel on transfers because some don't work out? I am not saying we need a team full of transfers as this would not be good long term but I think we need to do a better job identifying them and getting a few more here.

lakesbison
10-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Myself and Burgandy have been bitching about this for the past 5 years!!!

its an ABSOLUTE JOKE that we havent had a significant FBS transfer.

HandoEX
10-19-2010, 03:52 PM
While I agree that it would be nice to have FBS transfers make an impact, we have brought 2 of them to Fargo in the last two recruiting classes. It just so happens that neither worked out (and both have gone on to do little at the schools they've ended up at).

Tyler Westphal was a 4* heralded transfer and he has 4 tackles in 4 games at a fricken D3 school! Sidney Haynes has 13 catches in 7 games.

coldspot
10-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Myself and Burgandy have been bitching about this for the past 5 years!!!

its an ABSOLUTE JOKE that we havent had a significant FBS transfer.

maybe our coaching staff is telling kids interested in transfering here that theyre not guaranteed playing time and that turns them off. why would a kid want to go to a second school that he might not get to play at? or maybe they want to go closer to home. fargo isnt exactly close to any fbs hotbeds other than the twin cities which is still 3+ hours away.

lakesbison
10-19-2010, 04:16 PM
why are you telling a FBS kid they wont play here?

IndyBison
10-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Starting QB for Indiana State is a transfer from Washington Their current coach recruited him when he was an assistant for Willingham. From what I've heard, he's having a great season.

BisonAccountant44
10-19-2010, 04:18 PM
maybe our coaching staff is telling kids interested in transfering here that theyre not guaranteed playing time and that turns them off. why would a kid want to go to a second school that he might not get to play at? or maybe they want to go closer to home. fargo isnt exactly close to any fbs hotbeds other than the twin cities which is still 3+ hours away.

I would assume this, along with the fact that we haven't made the FCS playoffs yet and that, aside from the two 10-1 years, we really haven't proved much at this level.

I would say that we need to start to win consistently, make a run at a NC, and then the type of impact transfer players we're talking about will be more likely to consider us. I know if I was one of these guys, I would probably be asking 3 things regarding any FCS school that I may transfer to. 1. Could we win now? 2. How much would I play? 3. How far from home is it?

HerdBot
10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
While I agree that it would be nice to have FBS transfers make an impact, we have brought 2 of them to Fargo in the last two recruiting classes. It just so happens that neither worked out (and both have gone on to do little at the schools they've ended up at).

Tyler Westphal was a 4* heralded transfer and he has 4 tackles in 4 games at a fricken D3 school! Sidney Haynes has 13 catches in 7 games.

Great point. Bison Fanatic pointed this out but the way to build a great team is with 5 year redshirts. They are bigger, stronger, and smarter than most players at any level. Look at Joe Mays, Humber, Dahl, Schoemer, Roehl, Heckendorf, and all the guys who made it to the NFL. Couple that with the same offensive coordinator with the same system and you have one hell of a team. Not to say transfers can't help. Paschal was a 3 year player. But transfers are brought in as a stop gap and desperate move. Most are not smart enough to pick up an offense or defense in 1 year. The exception has been JUCOs playing DT. Guys like Dwight Summerville were huge but only getting 2 years out of them kind of suck.

I think were headed in that direction again.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
10-19-2010, 05:09 PM
I understand that it is best to have a home grown football team that was recruited by us totally. But has this been a area the last 3 years that we are totally missing the boat. Willson is dang good this year and Howard (strange story with moving up a division, I don't know where to put him as it is very rare) Yuen did his job the last few years.

This is some of the players and their stats from the 3 teams to beat us this year. I know some had some good transfer DB's and other transfer players also but tough to quantify that out of the stats and I didn't look it up further.

UNI
Tirrell Rennie Community College 172 yards passing, 123 yards rushing

Western Illinois
Coulter Ray Michigan State 106 yards rushing Led team
Terrian Crump JC (I think) 75 yards receiving Led team
Lito Senatus College of Sequias (JC????) 45 yards receiving 2 TD 2nd on team to Crump

Illinois State
Ashton Leggit Michigan State 146 yards rushing 61 yards receiving 1 TD
Erik Smith Wisconsin 113 yard rushing 30 yards receiving

I have been very happy the last few years with the HS recruiting. But are we missing the boat by not trying to bring in a few more transfers. Is it another downfall of this staff the last few years? Not all will work out as we found out this year but we have been killed at the skill position by transfer players. Are we throwing in the towel on transfers because some don't work out? I am not saying we need a team full of transfers as this would not be good long term but I think we need to do a better job identifying them and getting a few more here.

There are many reasons for transferring and most of them are bad. Our history with transfers gives us a clear reason why our roster is not full of them

CAS4127
10-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I would assume this, along with the fact that we haven't made the FCS playoffs yet and that, aside from the two 10-1 years, we really haven't proved much at this level.

I would say that we need to start to win consistently, make a run at a NC, and then the type of impact transfer players we're talking about will be more likely to consider us. I know if I was one of these guys, I would probably be asking 3 things regarding any FCS school that I may transfer to. 1. Could we win now? 2. How much would I play? 3. How far from home is it?

http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/I-Agree[1].gifcompletely. Winning consistently will also yield consistent, high-quality HS recruits. But, you have to be able to judge talent/quality properly as well, whether HS or JUCO--just sayin!

SDbison
10-19-2010, 05:34 PM

But,...........Tyler has a hot girlfriend.

lakesbison
10-19-2010, 06:30 PM
yea, he made the right choice.

lakesbison
01-25-2011, 07:49 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21604

Mon st just got a Nebraska rb.

5+ years and ZERO FBS TRANSFERS TO NDSU. WHAT THE !!!

coldspot
01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
maybe the transfer process from FBS to NDSU sucks (from NAIA to NDSU was a breeze, but that was in-state and all my credits transfered). or we're just not interested in bringing in some other school's excess baggage and would rather grow our own talent. just throwing ideas out there.

MontBison
01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
A few things about that Lakes, 1 Mont St's starting rb has been ruled ineligible so they needed a rb, Dmac is also pretty good friends with the guy so he basically got him in at MSU. I think its different circumstances with this one.

bisonhusker
01-25-2011, 09:37 PM
maybe the transfer process from FBS to NDSU sucks (from NAIA to NDSU was a breeze, but that was in-state and all my credits transfered). or we're just not interested in bringing in some other school's excess baggage and would rather grow our own talent. just throwing ideas out there.

Why do you consider a transfer to be excess baggage? In the case of the Nebraska kid, he is a great student that wanted an option to play. He would be their backup RB this year. He is HS friends with the MSU quarterback. Every team we played last year in conference has a few transfers and some schools are very agressive on getting them. I sure wish we were.

Lakes, speed up bro...that is old news! "haha"

ndbj52
01-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Other than getting guys moving down from FBS schools I say we have done faily well. Willson was great this year as was Pike another JUCO transfer and Gaitlin was good the past two years. All of them stepped in and learned the defense in a short time and were able to produce on the field.

lakesbison
01-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Husker let's push our agenda. FBS kids that wanna play!!

westnodak93bison
01-25-2011, 11:33 PM
why are you telling a FBS kid they wont play here?

Why would you guarantee anybody playing time?

sambini
01-25-2011, 11:34 PM
You have to earn it...

BisonNeil
01-26-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm with Lakes and Burg on this one, I too wish we were on the minds of FBS transfers.

Bryant Allen left for Illinois State. Granted, he is from MO, but if he really wanted to be close to home why not go to SIU instead? My point is that no one needs quality WRs worse than NDSU, he probably had a legit chance here to contribute.

All I am saying is that it would be nice to be in the minds of some of these guys as they look for playing time. Illinois State has three FBS transfers already and since they will be in spring practice, they may have dramatically improved their team.

unbison
01-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Bball team could have used him as well he played both for d gophers

ndbj52
01-26-2011, 01:49 AM
I agree that we lack in getting FBS recruits, I think we have done good though on the JUCO side of things

westnodak93bison
01-26-2011, 02:20 AM
I think we make up for the lack of FBS transfers when we get FBS talent that have problems with the NCAA "clearing house". There has to be a few guys like Marcus Williams out there every year. If they don't pan out with grades then we lose nothing and gave the kid a chance.

silkamilkamonico
01-26-2011, 06:29 AM
My point is that no one needs quality WRs worse than NDSU, he probably had a legit chance here to contribute.

Glaring and concerning weaknesses on this team. Who's developoing these guys? Or should I say trying to and failing miserably? Calhoun-Powell and Wahlo Jr were both supposedly outstanding gets and great talents, at least according to this board anyways, and couldn't even sniff the field in an underachieving and poor WR group.

Someone in the coaching staff is not doing their job at that position, IMHO.

SamsRams
01-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Glaring and concerning weaknesses on this team. Who's developoing these guys? Or should I say trying to and failing miserably? Calhoun-Powell and Wahlo Jr were both supposedly outstanding gets and great talents, at least according to this board anyways, and couldn't even sniff the field in an underachieving and poor WR group.

Someone in the coaching staff is not doing their job at that position, IMHO.

so you are complaining that freshman don't play more? Forget your whole great coach vs bad coach......your main point is why didn't we see more of the freshman. Yeah good luck with that argument!

steelbison
01-26-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm with Lakes and Burg on this one, I too wish we were on the minds of FBS transfers.

Bryant Allen left for Illinois State. Granted, he is from MO, but if he really wanted to be close to home why not go to SIU instead? My point is that no one needs quality WRs worse than NDSU, he probably had a legit chance here to contribute.

All I am saying is that it would be nice to be in the minds of some of these guys as they look for playing time. Illinois State has three FBS transfers already and since they will be in spring practice, they may have dramatically improved their team.

Agree, our main problem is we are no where near a major population center. Illinois St is near Chicago which really helps. Kids when transferring want to be close to home. We would have a chance at Gophers kids who want to transfer if they are from Minnesota.

Our only other chance would be kids with friends on the team. Plus we are trying to clean up our program and we didn't have a lot of luck in doing that with the previous transfers.

HandoEX
01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Illinois St is near Chicago which really helps. .

I bet the 130 mile drive from Normal to Chicago takes almost as long as the 220 mile drive from Fargo to Minneapolis.

BisonNeil
01-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Agree, our main problem is we are no where near a major population center. Illinois St is near Chicago which really helps. Kids when transferring want to be close to home. We would have a chance at Gophers kids who want to transfer if they are from Minnesota.

Our only other chance would be kids with friends on the team. Plus we are trying to clean up our program and we didn't have a lot of luck in doing that with the previous transfers.

You know, you make a good point about Minnesota.

Last year Josh Campion and Nick Rengel tried to hook up with NDSU and for whatever reason, Bohl didn't take them. Academics and a back injury may have shied him away from Campion, but after playing at an academy Campion is listed on this years recruiting class for Kill, so he obviously has talent.

I don't know why the coaches didn't go for Nick. He came to MN to play TE/DE but was moved to FB and ended up #2 on the depth chart after spring practice. NDSU was a bit thin at a couple of those positions this year (Bruhn moved from FB to TE), so I initially thought he would be attractive.

Could it be Bohl is simply not interested in FBS transfers?

Bison"FANatic"
01-26-2011, 02:47 PM

I believe this to be true. Just the way he has made some comments at teammakers about other teams that have them and if they will come to play that week or not.

I thought we might start getting a few that didn't play at FBS that we had recruited over the years but they ended up at the at a FBS school. You would think we would have a good relationship with them already. You would think a few here and there would be beneficial to a team and could fill some holes.

Bison"FANatic"
01-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I guess SIU doesn't have a problem with transfers. 6 is a bunch though.

http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012511aac.html

lakesbison
01-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Can u imagine if we got a Florida transfer or something like that?? Argh

silkamilkamonico
01-26-2011, 09:45 PM
so you are complaining that freshman don't play more? Forget your whole great coach vs bad coach......your main point is why didn't we see more of the freshman. Yeah good luck with that argument!

What does "complaining about freshmen playing more" have to do with "supposedly talented recruits who are nowhere to be seen in an underachieving unit"?

Our passing game is a joke....if it isn't the unit, or the coaching staff, maybe our QB's really are that bad. Inquiring minds would like to know.

westnodak93bison
01-26-2011, 09:58 PM
What does "complaining about freshmen playing more" have to do with "supposedly talented recruits who are nowhere to be seen in an underachieving unit"?

Our passing game is a joke....if it isn't the unit, or the coaching staff, maybe our QB's really are that bad. Inquiring minds would like to know.

I think it is a combination of things. If you look at the film from our games you will see WRs wide open that QBs never even saw, WRs dropping balls or running poor routes and of course far too predictable play calling. I don't think the passing game as a whole is that far off from becoming productive.
It can be turned around. Our defense turned around in the off season, punting really improved, DJ became a star etc.

Superfan
01-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Can anybody tell me how many FBS recruits the top 4 teams in the country had? Villanova, Delaware, EWU, and Ga Southern. The Bison are 41-14 since the transition to DI, they had consecutive 10-1 seasons and just made a run deep into the playoffs with what most would consider a very young team. I'm happy with the guys we're recruiting. Now, tell me that the top 4 teams have a considerable amount of FBS transfers and I could rethink my position.

DjKyRo
01-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Didn't the Tyler Westpahl ordeal show us that transfers aren't necessarily going to be massive impact players? Last I checked we went 9-5 without any high-profile transfer guys (due respect to Chad Willson and Justin Howard) and only look to get better.

SamsRams
01-26-2011, 10:51 PM

Besides everything, not much. But according to you, the whole coaching staff and every coaching staff in the world is poor if their freshman dont contribute.

lakesbison
01-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Ewu and novas qbs were FBS guys

." The Bison are 41-14 since the transition to DI, they had"

38-6?? (3-8 year withstanding) superfan, math bro. Haha j.kidd

IzzyFlexion
01-26-2011, 11:07 PM
I bet the 130 mile drive from Normal to Chicago takes almost as long as the 220 mile drive from Fargo to Minneapolis.

Unless you leave downtown no later than 2:00.
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1566/X0505/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1566-0219545.jpg

EndZoneQB
01-27-2011, 12:42 AM
You know, you make a good point about Minnesota.

Last year Josh Campion and Nick Rengel tried to hook up with NDSU and for whatever reason, Bohl didn't take them. Academics and a back injury may have shied him away from Campion, but after playing at an academy Campion is listed on this years recruiting class for Kill, so he obviously has talent.

I don't know why the coaches didn't go for Nick. He came to MN to play TE/DE but was moved to FB and ended up #2 on the depth chart after spring practice. NDSU was a bit thin at a couple of those positions this year (Bruhn moved from FB to TE), so I initially thought he would be attractive.

Campion was never coming to NDSU.

Herd
01-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Only people that assume crazy things like . . . for example: MN players are automatically better than players from ND (just because of their address) . . . would be nieve enough to think that FBS transfers will automatically be better than the players Bohl is already bringing in.

It's not surprising who's pimping this thread. To Mr. Bohl, keep doing what you are doing.

lakesbison
01-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Oh herd, thanks bud.

6 years in and 1 DISTINCT advantage FCS has is for FBS players moving down and playing right away. And we have ZERO??

NDSU gets kids into the pros, period. If I'm buried at a big 10-12, SEC,ACC I'm jumping at NDSU to be a star for 2 years and get in the scouts eyes

Herd
01-27-2011, 03:04 AM
Oh herd, thanks bud.

6 years in and 1 DISTINCT advantage FCS has is for FBS players moving down and playing right away. And we have ZERO??

NDSU gets kids into the pros, period. If I'm buried at a big 10-12, SEC,ACC I'm jumping at NDSU to be a star for 2 years and get in the scouts eyes

I really just want good players, most of them for 4 years. Getting FBS transfer for sole purpose of bragging about it on AGS doesn't do anything for me . . . but I know we disagree on that. I'm not opposed to an FBS transfer, but I'm happy with some of the jucos instead like Gatlin & Pike. It is a little surprising that we have not had a gopher transfer down,but that will happen when NDSU gets a few more playoff runs under our belt, or when we beat the gophers again. You know as well as I do the opinion that schools like MN have about the bison . . . They lost to us in 2007, but they'll swear they'll beat us by 40 this year.

IzzyFlexion
01-27-2011, 03:38 AM
I really just want good players, most of them for 4 years. Getting FBS transfer for sole purpose of bragging about it on AGS doesn't do anything for me . . . but I know we disagree on that. I'm not opposed to an FBS transfer, but I'm happy with some of the jucos instead like Gatlin & Pike. It is a little surprising that we have not had a gopher transfer down,but that will happen when NDSU gets a few more playoff runs under our belt, or when we beat the gophers again. You know as well as I do the opinion that schools like MN have about the bison . . . They lost to us in 2007, but they'll swear they'll beat us by 40 this year.

This is my favorite Gopher "FUN FACT"
During the past 4 seasons, Minnesota has played 1 Dakota school per year and are 2-2.
Wait for it......................
TOTAL CUMULATIVE SCORE:
The 3 Dakota teams: 90
Minnesota Gophers: 85
And please.......no "way to jinx next year's game a-hole!" comments.

rutlandbison
01-27-2011, 01:42 PM
During the past 4 seasons, Minnesota has played 1 Dakota school per year and are 2-2.
TOTAL CUMULATIVE SCORE:
Hey, way to jinx next years game a-hole!

Superfan
01-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Ewu and novas qbs were FBS guys

." The Bison are 41-14 since the transition to DI, they had"

38-6?? (3-8 year withstanding) superfan, math bro. Haha j.kidd

AHH my bad. I looked back at the 2009 media guide but forgot that it didn't include 2009 or 2010 (ps why the eff was the 2010 media guide never posted?).

2002 - last year in NCC
2003 - 8-3
2004 - 8-3
2005 - 7-4
2006 - 10-1
2007 - 10-1
2008 - 6-5
2009 - 3-8
2010 - 9-5

Total - 61-30

HandoEX
01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
TOTAL CUMULATIVE SCORE:

It would have been a game ending jinx, but MN has only played 3 Dakota teams in the last 4 years :p . They beat MT State in '08 as their only FCS opponent. So, with no jinx, Bison 31-Gophers 10

KC Bison
01-27-2011, 08:16 PM
It would have been a game ending jinx, but MN has only played 3 Dakota teams in the last 4 years :p . They beat MT State in '08 as their only FCS opponent. So, with no jinx, Bison 31-Gophers 10
They have played 4 Dakota teams since 06. They beat the Bison, lost to Bison, beat the Jacks, and lost to Yotes.

IzzyFlexion
01-29-2011, 10:21 AM

KC Bison beat me to it.
Bison X 2 2006, 2007.
Jacks X 1 2009.
Coyotes X 1 2010.
So, 5 years I guess.

But, the cool part is still the cumulative score.