PDA

View Full Version : Bisonville

SDSUAlum08
10-17-2010, 06:03 AM
You guys are Bipolar. One week it's the greatest team on the earth and the next it's the worst team. Jose is the worst player and next week he's alright.

You lost to a good team....ON.....THE.....ROAD!

I hear many of you saying that there is no way a team can win 4 games in a row and make the playoffs; also a few are saying there's no other game that's important than the Marker game? Are you kidding me? :confused:

(I know it isn't everyone...but still!)

GET A GRIP PEOPLE!! You're 4-3. You were 3-8 last year. If you see improvement to 6-5 or 7-4 then you have nothing to complain about. You can complain next year if things go bad...but not this year. You guys were terrible last year.

I'm actually hoping that the Jacks can pull off 5 wins over the next 5 games to win the conference and make the playoffs. You guys think the season is already over.

What is your world coming to?! :D

mgbison
10-17-2010, 06:31 AM
I think most posters on bisonville don't have any kids, havent' got laid in months or years, or don;t have jobs.

I've learned to love bison football/sports, but its a bit ridiculous. We were awesome in the 80's when we were giving out twice as many scholly's as the next school, and people wonder why we were dominant.

If alot of posters on bisonville were the AD of NDSU we would go through 2 head coaching changes a year. We would win every game by 21 points and never trail in any game. Anyways, what i'm saying is this might be the best post (or only good post) by a rabbit fan ever.

Bisonwinagn
10-17-2010, 07:00 AM
We're frustrated because we are more talented and a better team than ISU, but we shoot ourselves in the foot not one or two times a game, but six or seven, and give the game away on a platter. We did the same thing six times last year and that was the reason for the bad record. I don't have a problem if we play a good game and get beat by a better team, but mistake after mistake after mistake gets frustrating. ISU was probably the worst team left on our schedule and was a game we needed to win. Yes we can win the rest of the games but it's been three years of the same old mistakes which makes it hard to be positive.

BisoninNWMN
10-17-2010, 12:19 PM
We're frustrated because we are more talented and a better team than ISU, but we shoot ourselves in the foot not one or two times a game, but six or seven, and give the game away on a platter. We did the same thing six times last year and that was the reason for the bad record. I don't have a problem if we play a good game and get beat by a better team, but mistake after mistake after mistake gets frustrating. ISU was probably the worst team left on our schedule and was a game we needed to win. Yes we can win the rest of the games but it's been three years of the same old mistakes which makes it hard to be positive.

Good post!!

Kudos

rutlandbison
10-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Welcome to Bisonville.

lakesbison
10-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Shut up rabbits. We get laid too much, we get paid too much and THE ONLY place in life we are lacking is in wins for ndsu.

So go tailgate in the mud. Pee in a plastic jug. And go shoot.those pheasants then slap your girlfriend/cousins fat butt and live your sad lives.

NorthernBison
10-17-2010, 01:17 PM
I've learned to love bison football/sports, but its a bit ridiculous. We were awesome in the 80's when we were giving out twice as many scholly's as the next school, and people wonder why we were dominant.

That pretty much sums it up.

1. We were DOMINANT in the 80's against mostly underfunded DII programs. The NCC had almost no fully funded programs and we got ALL the best athletes.

2. Since 1990, we were a "solid" DII program but not even close to dominant. Our total success was probably third or fourth best in the NCC. Let alone comparing us to all of DII.

3. Now, many people expect us to be DOMINANT in FCS? Really? Where all of the top programs and basically all of the middle of the pack programs are funded at the same level?

4. Who has dominated FCS? Anybody? App State while they had an outstanding QB? Montana with a long string of playoff appearances but
not a long list of Titles?

I'm not happy about where we are but I'm convinced that the type of "dominance" that some are posting about will NEVER happen.

BisoninNWMN
10-17-2010, 01:29 PM

1. We were DOMINANT in the 80's against mostly underfunded DII programs. The NCC had almost no fully funded programs and we got ALL the best athletes.

2. Since 1990, we were a "solid" DII program but not even close to dominant. Our total success was probably third or fourth best in the NCC. Let alone comparing us to all of DII.

3. Now, many people expect us to be DOMINANT in FCS? Really? Where all of the top programs and basically all of the middle of the pack programs are funded at the same level?

4. Who has dominated FCS? Anybody? App State while they had an outstanding QB? Montana with a long string of playoff appearances but

I'm not happy about where we are but I'm convinced that the type of "dominance" that some are posting about will NEVER happen.

I disagree.

Nobody is going to win the NC every year but the upper echelon teams in 1AA are there every year to make the playoffs.

The Bison can/should be one of those teams. This is our 3rd year of el to make the playoffs; we need to basically win out to do it this year.

Can it be done?? You bet we can but we need vast improvements esp on the defensive side of the ball. Wow, after Kansas, I thought the D was going to be our strong suit.....ya, injuries happen but others need to step up.

lakesbison
10-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Ndsu was #14 , marquee win over Kansas.

ISU on road, 3 games at home.AND.WE PISS IT DOWN OUR LEG.

UN-freakin acceptable!!

bisonmike2
10-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Ndsu was #14 , marquee win over Kansas.

ISU on road, 3 games at home.AND.WE PISS IT DOWN OUR LEG.

UN-freakin acceptable!!

Completely agree. But it's also been the norm around here for far too long. Maybe I'm used to it because this loss didn't sting as bad as the other ones. I think on some subconscious level I expected it.

NorthernBison
10-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I disagree.

Nobody is going to win the NC every year but the upper echelon teams in 1AA are there every year to make the playoffs.

The Bison can/should be one of those teams. This is our 3rd year of el to make the playoffs; we need to basically win out to do it this year.

Can it be done?? You bet we can but we need vast improvements esp on the defensive side of the ball. Wow, after Kansas, I thought the D was going to be our strong suit.....ya, injuries happen but others need to step up.

And your point is? Somehow things have changed?

Hello. We didn't make the playoffs regularly over the last 13 years we competed in DII. What we are seeing isn't new. I'd submit that it hasn't been since the late 60's that we competed against our equals and were successful on a regular basis. And, I was there in the stands at Dakotah Field for every playoff game in the 80's. I missed very few regular season home games. It's been a long wait and I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

SDbison
10-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Talk about Debbie Downers. NorthernBison, you discredit not only the current NDSU football team, but all of them for the past 30 years! Essentially you are saying NDSU was only good from 1965 to 1990 due to a few more scholies? I highly doubt NDSU had a scholarship advantage that entire time, let alone the difference was that great except against teams like Morningside.
For the hundredth time, people mistake the frustration here as unreasonable fans who only like the team when they win. Its one thing to lose a game in a close battle due to a lost opportunity or the other team rising to the occasion, but the Bison are losing ugly. Mistakes all over the place, confusion on offense, poor play calling by the coaches, and a defense that has some hang up about being able to stop the opponent on 3rd down!
I think NDSU fans and Bisonville are much more passionate about football than SDSU. We have thousands more fans show up for tailgating and the game itself. There are dozens and dozens more regular posters on our messageboard. We have Bison Illustrated, and a metro area that loves to go to Bison games. We also had a winning tradition in the past. Teams like SDSU have had mediocrity for a long time and just got a taste of success the past couple years. SDSU used to treat basketball as king and football as a side event.
The reason for the high levels of frustration is the lack of recent success for the Bison. We expect to win nearly all our home games, we expect to win most rivalry games, we expect to win more than half of our road games and we expect to be in the running for the conference title and post season play. With the past winning tradition, excellent facilities, great university and fan support and outstanding recruits there is disappointment that the slump continues. I am starting to conclude that the biggest reason for the losses is that coaching is lacking and one or two of them need to be fired.
For those of you that accept mediocrity go ahead and change your allegiance to SDSU. NDSU fans expect a lot more. If you don't have higher expectations you will never succeed. If anything the head coach at NDSU needs to understand that Teammakers will not continue to tolerate season records that hang around .500. Maybe at SDSU that is OK, because they like to hunt and fish.

SDbison
10-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Completely agree. But it's also been the norm around here for far too long. Maybe I'm used to it because this loss didn't sting as bad as the other ones. I think on some subconscious level I expected it.
This is what I am worried about. Bison fans becoming complacent and expecting to lose, or not caring if they lose. Starting to sound like Bunnyville around here........

rutlandbison
10-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Talk about Debbie Downers. NorthernBison, you discredit not only the current NDSU football team, but all of them for the past 30 years! Essentially you are saying NDSU was only good from 1965 to 1990 due to a few more scholies? I highly doubt NDSU had a scholarship advantage that entire time, let alone the difference was that great except against teams like Morningside.
For the hundredth time, people mistake the frustration here as unreasonable fans who only like the team when they win. Its one thing to lose a game in a close battle due to a lost opportunity or the other team rising to the occasion, but the Bison are losing ugly. Mistakes all over the place, confusion on offense, poor play calling by the coaches, and a defense that has some hang up about being able to stop the opponent on 3rd down!
I think NDSU fans and Bisonville are much more passionate about football than SDSU. We have thousands more fans show up for tailgating and the game itself. There are dozens and dozens more regular posters on our messageboard. We have Bison Illustrated, and a metro area that loves to go to Bison games. We also had a winning tradition in the past. Teams like SDSU have had mediocrity for a long time and just got a taste of success the past couple years. SDSU used to treat basketball as king and football as a side event.
The reason for the high levels of frustration is the lack of recent success for the Bison. We expect to win nearly all our home games, we expect to win most rivalry games, we expect to win more than half of our road games and we expect to be in the running for the conference title and post season play. With the past winning tradition, excellent facilities, great university and fan support and outstanding recruits there is disappointment that the slump continues. I am starting to conclude that the biggest reason for the losses is that coaching is lacking and one or two of them need to be fired.
For those of you that accept mediocrity go ahead and change your allegiance to SDSU. NDSU fans expect a lot more. If you don't have higher expectations you will never succeed. If anything the head coach at NDSU needs to understand that Teammakers will not continue to tolerate season records that hang around .500. Maybe at SDSU that is OK, because they like to hunt and fish.
Is that serious coming from you?

NDSUstudent
10-17-2010, 02:11 PM
If we go 7-4 I'll be ecstatic but all I want to see is improvement. I'm tired of watching this skitzo team, I want to see some consistent play. Phil Hanson was saying our defense was playing as a bunch of individuals and not a team before the game yesterday and he was right on the money.

I also want to see the dome become our place of dominance again. We haven't won an MVFC game at home since Indiana State 11/1/2008. Yeah it has been almost two years, no wonder we are all so frustrated.

NorthernBison
10-17-2010, 02:16 PM
No SD,
I'm not discounting the success of the late 60's and the 80's. FYI, the 70's weren't exactly dominating throughout.

I loved the 80's. The Bison were the best out there. But yes, the majority of the regular season games were against underfunded programs. The Bison delivered when the post-season came around. If you want a current comparison, look at Montana. Cakewalk regular season and a playoff appearance every year.

Look what happened when they reduced scholarships at the end of the 80's. Everybody got real equal real fast. Hell, we didn't make regular playoff appearances after 1990. We never saw another Title game. Northern Colorado won multiple titles. Even UND won a title and played in another title game. Grand Valley state was dominant (even when we were in DII).

I'm not content with 6-5 seasons. I think we should regularly be 7-4 or better (assuming an FBS loss most years). I just get sick of everybody who flips out every time the team loses a game to programs who have just as many scholarships as us. ISU Red had some great athletes yesterday. That many kids who played at FBS schools indicates they have talent.

Is it coaching? I don't know. Blame Vigen if you want but I doubt that he ever told our 170 pound QB to pretend he was a fullback.

You know what my REAL post-season expectations are? If we make it 5 years out of 10 I would be pleasantly surprised. 3 or 4 might be realistic based on the conference we play in and the landscape of FCS football. Thats it.

tjbison
10-17-2010, 02:20 PM
ok 1999 we went 9-2 and spent the entire year in the top 20

2000- 10-1 regular season 12-2 overall beat the #1 team inthe nation in opening round of playoffs and more than likely would have won a NC if certain players hadn't been idiots before the Semi-final game. How many remember that.

These dominant season were against FULLY FUNDED programs. I'm not saying we need to win a NC every year but I AM tired of getting beat because our mental and coaching mistakes. I have no problem if we lose a game that we played our best and just flat out get beat, but when we piss games down our legs like yesterday it just pisses me off.

Oh and SDSU dude if you don't like it don't read it. Its a simple solution

stevdock
10-17-2010, 02:29 PM
UNI has probably been the most dominant team in the MVFC, and don't they make it 50% of the time. Not saying we should accept 50%, but for now it is a goal to shoot for.

No_Skill
10-17-2010, 02:36 PM
No SD,
I'm not discounting the success of the late 60's and the 80's. FYI, the 70's weren't exactly dominating throughout.

I loved the 80's. The Bison were the best out there. But yes, the majority of the regular season games were against underfunded programs. The Bison delivered when the post-season came around. If you want a current comparison, look at Montana. Cakewalk regular season and a playoff appearance every year.

Look what happened when they reduced scholarships at the end of the 80's. Everybody got real equal real fast. Hell, we didn't make regular playoff appearances after 1990. We never saw another Title game. Northern Colorado won multiple titles. Even UND won a title and played in another title game. Grand Valley state was dominant (even when we were in DII).

I'm not content with 6-5 seasons. I think we should regularly be 7-4 or better (assuming an FBS loss most years). I just get sick of everybody who flips out every time the team loses a game to programs who have just as many scholarships as us. ISU Red had some great athletes yesterday. That many kids who played at FBS schools indicates they have talent.

Is it coaching? I don't know. Blame Vigen if you want but I doubt that he ever told our 170 pound QB to pretend he was a fullback.

You know what my REAL post-season expectations are? If we make it 5 years out of 10 I would be pleasantly surprised. 3 or 4 might be realistic based on the conference we play in and the landscape of FCS football. Thats it.

That's a really good point. I heard 3 transfers from big schools. Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Minnesota...I think.

I'm not saying that's the reason for the loss, but how does ISU get three transfers and we have none?

No_Skill
10-17-2010, 02:39 PM

2000- 10-1 regular season 12-2 overall beat the #1 team inthe nation in opening round of playoffs and more than likely would have won a NC if certain players hadn't been idiots before the Semi-final game. How many remember that.

These dominant season were against FULLY FUNDED programs. I'm not saying we need to win a NC every year but I AM tired of getting beat because our mental and coaching mistakes. I have no problem if we lose a game that we played our best and just flat out get beat, but when we piss games down our legs like yesterday it just pisses me off.

Hell yes I remember. That was the year we got screwed out of a home playoff game and had to play in the kitty litter bowl and lost to the eventual Champ.

SDbison
10-17-2010, 02:41 PM
That's a really good point. I heard 3 transfers from big schools. Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Minnesota...I think.

I'm not saying that's the reason for the loss, but how does ISU get three transfers and we have none?
A few FBS rejects made ISU's team that good? I am sure they got in our players heads and that why so many mistakes were made! Oh yeah, didn't NDSU beat an entire team of FBS players earlier this year?

No_Skill
10-17-2010, 02:45 PM
A few FBS rejects made ISU's team that good? I am sure they got in our players heads and that why so many mistakes were made! Oh yeah, didn't NDSU beat an entire team of FBS players earlier this year?

Did you only read the first sentence?

Bison"FANatic"
10-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Did you only read the first sentence?

I thought Bohl said at teammakers they have 18 transfers

No_Skill
10-17-2010, 03:02 PM
I thought Bohl said at teammakers they have 18 transfers

From FBS? More likely JC transfers.

Do we have any from FBS?

lakesbison
10-17-2010, 03:25 PM
No FBS. Bohl won't stoop , listen.

A.GREAT coach already has told Jose to go outta bounds, a.GREAT coach motivates his young TALENTED team to a win. Geez!!!

met1990
10-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Shut up rabbits. We get laid too much, we get paid too much and THE ONLY place in life we are lacking is in wins for ndsu.

Haha--This is why Bisonville needs Lakesbison.

bisonmike2
10-17-2010, 03:43 PM

A.GREAT coach already has told Jose to go outta bounds, a.GREAT coach motivates his young TALENTED team to a win. Geez!!!

The first part is true. The coaches should have already addressed that situation with Jose. If you see X then do Y but look out for Z. But the last part doesn't hold water. Motivation only works for a play here or there then that's where a well coached teams tendencies should take over. Ask newly fired coach brew how well motivation works in consistently winning games.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-17-2010, 03:51 PM

ISU's reject RB's ran all over us. Just saying..................

semobison
10-17-2010, 04:05 PM
There have been some positives with the Bison this year. What concerns me the most is our defense is getting pushed around. You dont win at this level if you cant stop the run, and this has been ongoing this season and last.... And we miss Matthew, big time!

TransAmBison
10-17-2010, 05:43 PM

I remember that a little different. I remember an AD who created such a scandal that things all of a sudden got reshuffled and the playoff game became an away game and we had our two top QB's knocked out. Jordan didn't have the horses. That and going down 14-0 early in the game sealed the deal.

runtheoption
10-17-2010, 06:18 PM
We're frustrated because we are more talented and a better team than (fill in the blank)

Bisonwinagn, this isn't directed just at you, because I keep hearing this over and over again the last 3 years from many different people.

Are we really more talented than the other teams we lose to? If this is true, Bohl and the whole staff should be immediately fired, because a coaching staff should be able to get these supposed more talented athletes that NDSU has to win and make the playoffs every year.

If there are so many fans that recognize this alleged talent edge that NDSU has, then Gene Taylor and the NDSU higher ups have obviously failed in not recognizing this same thing. I say "obviously failed" because if they would see this same thing, then they should be bringing in a staff that can get these superior athletes to perform.

I truly question whether our players are more talented than these other teams we lose to.

tjbison
10-17-2010, 06:35 PM
We are not more talented, but we are not far less talented either. All you have to do is look at the Freshman that are playing right now. I love watching Billy Turner when he is totally kicking butt like in YSU, you can also see alot of youth and there are some technique issues but he will get them, Marcus Williams will mold into a pivitol player also I think. We have Talent and speed, look at how DJ and the gang literally made the secondary of YSU look like 5th graders and the entire USD team looked like 1st graders. UNI had more overall team speed that I will agree with but it wasn't a huge gap. I think alot of this would be gone with better coaching of the fundamentals. One example of the Fundamentals look at the D-line in Kansas to now, wow EVERY pass those guys had their hands up to try and block it along with the LB's and we had 3 batted passes in that game, I haven't seen that lately also being a Dlineman their technique such as swimmoves etc.. are not up to par, which is shown in our lack of QB sacks and pressures. Gratzek has great fundamentals as he has shown by breaking numerous double teams, again I think as the kids mature they will get better but I hope the D coaches are doing this with them and not assuming they learned all that already.

Bottom line Fundamentals

oh and what the hell are our Linebackers doing making shoulder bump tackles like a corner does??? WRAP UP AND BRING THEM DOWN Evans and Jemison BOTH missed a huge run play at the line of scrimmage diving for a shoulder ram instead of meeting him in hole and driving thru him. Damn frustrating when you played D yourself. I can only imagine what Phil was thinking watching that yesterday

BisoninNWMN
10-17-2010, 07:02 PM
I remember that a little different. I remember an AD who created such a scandal that things all of a sudden got reshuffled and the playoff game became an away game and we had our two top QB's knocked out. Jordan didn't have the horses. That and going down 14-0 early in the game sealed the deal.

......and Delta State using cat litter to try and dry the field out....:( :( .....makes it tough for a running team.

IMO, we win the NC if that semi-final game is in the FFD.

BisoninNWMN
10-17-2010, 07:03 PM
This is what I am worried about. Bison fans becoming complacent and expecting to lose, or not caring if they lose. Starting to sound like Bunnyville around here........

Good point.....

jarhead
10-17-2010, 08:05 PM
I thought I heard the broadcast team mention 5 FBS transfers for I state yesterday, all starters. Considering the rebuilding process they were going through I can see why it would be appealing to kids who weren't seeing any hope of playing time at their schools. We aren't really in that position right now, even if it seems that way. Depth will always be a problem with only 63 schollies which makes it all the more important that you
don't miss in your recruiting. We did, and now we're paying for it but, it's getting better every year. I don't know how you get the word out that you
have position needs but FBS transfers and JUCOS offer the possibility of quick fixes/depth.

stevdock
10-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Should a coach really have to tell a QB to duck out of bounds when you are going up against a bigger, stronger defensive player, especially after you pick up a huge 3rd down conversion?? My guess is though when Jensen went down for the season the coaches already told him to minimize the unnecessary shots. It would be one thing if he was the size of Jensen or even Mertens last year, but he's not. He's got to know better. If the coaches did tell him that and Mohler still tried to run over the guy, then who is at fault??

THEsocalledfan
10-18-2010, 03:56 PM

This was an outstanding post by SDBison. We will not accept being mediocre; it is what will always seperate us from the U of M's and SDSU's of the world. I am not yet firmly in the "fire Bohl" camp, but I am trending that way if they rest of the season in this brutal, but not sure that is even possible with Jose. Part of the reason I have been semi-supporting Vigen on this board is that I think Bohl is the one to criticize much more often than Vigen.....

NorthernBison
10-18-2010, 04:18 PM
This was an outstanding post by SDBison. We will not accept being mediocre; it is what will always seperate us from the U of M's and SDSU's of the world. I am not yet firmly in the "fire Bohl" camp, but I am trending that way if they rest of the season in this brutal, but not sure that is even possible with Jose. Part of the reason I have been semi-supporting Vigen on this board is that I think Bohl is the one to criticize much more often than Vigen.....

Hey, I agree with SDBison and you on the "expectations". I was simply trying to point out that falling short of those expectations isn't something new. IMO, it has been happening quite regularly since 1991.

CAS4127
10-18-2010, 04:27 PM
By SDSUalum
You guys are Bipolar. One week it's the greatest team on the earth and the next it's the worst team. Jose is the worst player and next week he's alright.

Please don't generalize!!

clenz
10-18-2010, 04:28 PM
UNI has probably been the most dominant team in the MVFC, and don't they make it 50% of the time. Not saying we should accept 50%, but for now it is a goal to shoot for.

Just one minor thing.

UNI has won 14 of the 25 Gateway/MVFC conference titles...or 56% of the conference titles...sadly no FCS National Titles.

THEsocalledfan
10-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey, I agree with SDBison and you on the "expectations". I was simply trying to point out that falling short of those expectations isn't something new. IMO, it has been happening quite regularly since 1991.

Ain't that the truth. But, we will be back. There is simply too much interest and money to prevent that and should eventually overcome the shock of many about playing in Fargo, ND.

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Could not agree with this more. We should have a program that is a perennial contender, but the fact of the matter is we don't, and we haven't for quite some time now.

I mean what, we've been playing in the FargoDome since 1994, for 16 years, and we have still yet to host a playoff game in there? LMAO Please correct me if I'm wrong.

CAS4127
10-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Having now read this entire thread, I concur with my brethern SDB, Northern, So-called and RTO. Boy it is much easier to post after what one was going to say has alread been said.

Oh, and for the "what it's worth" category, I NEVER thought I would see the day when NDSU had a better chance at making the playoffs in Basketball rather than Football year in and year out--but that is where we are and continue to head at this point. Not only do we not have as talented of players as others in the MVFC, we also have less talented coaches, which, when combined = losses and fan frustration, which, if again combined, leads to declining support and interest. Are you reading this Gene Taylor?

SDbison
10-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Having now read this entire thread, I concur with my brethern SDB, Northern, So-called and RTO. Boy it is much easier to post after what one was going to say has alread been said.

Oh, and for the "what it's worth" category, I NEVER thought I would see the day when NDSU had a better chance at making the playoffs in Basketball rather than Football year in and year out--but that is where we are and continue to head at this point. Not only do we not have as talented of players as others in the MVFC, we also have less talented coaches, which, when combined = losses and fan frustration, which, if again combined, leads to declining support and interest. Are you reading this Gene Taylor?
Post of the Football Year! Take that Koolaid drinkers!

56BISON73
10-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Could not agree with this more. We should have a program that is a perennial contender, but the fact of the matter is we don't, and we haven't for quite some time now.

I mean what, we've been playing in the FargoDome since 1994, for 16 years, and we have still yet to host a playoff game in there? LMAO Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This would be true IF---- I REPEAT IF----we were still in D2. But we are not. Things that were a "given" in D2 doesnt wash now. We have moved up a level in play. We just arent there YET. Many think we should just be there automatically just because of tradition, facilities etc. Our new competition has had a head start on us and its going to take some time to get to the level we need to be. I might also add that our new competiton doesnt give a shit what we did in D2.
At times we show flashes of what we should be. But we arent there yet on a consistant basis.

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
This would be true IF---- I REPEAT IF----we were still in D2. But we are not. Things that were a "given" in D2 doesnt wash now. We have moved up a level in play. We just arent there YET. Many think we should just be there automatically just because of tradition, facilities etc. Our new competition has had a head start on us and its going to take some time to get to the level we need to be. I might also add that our new competiton doesnt give a shit what we did in D2.
At times we show flashes of what we should be. But we arent there yet on a consistant basis.

True. I think regardless of results we have an oppurtunity to be a top dog. We have a committed booster club, facilities, fanbase, geographical area recruiting, history, and resources to be a team that can be on the upper echelon every year. I think there are a lot of teams that aren't in the position we are in terms of fielding a competitive team year in and year out, instead of hoping for that great season/coach/class/whatever.

IMHO I don't see any reason that would hold us back from being an upper tier program, and I don't understand why it always seems like we are missing something or rebuilding significantly somewhere. We have a very good young nucleus that can hopefully be the start to something that will come year in and year out with those occasional exceptions of down seasons.

56BISON73
10-18-2010, 06:30 PM
True. I think regardless of results we have an oppurtunity to be a top dog. We have a committed booster club, facilities, fanbase, geographical area recruiting, history, and resources to be a team that can be on the upper echelon every year. I think there are a lot of teams that aren't in the position we are in terms of fielding a competitive team year in and year out, instead of hoping for that great season/coach/class/whatever.

IMHO I don't see any reason that would hold us back from being an upper tier program, and I don't understand why it always seems like we are missing something or rebuilding significantly somewhere. We have a very good young nucleus that can hopefully be the start to something that will come year in and year out with those occasional exceptions of down seasons.

I agree. Many think this should happen over night. An instant gratification thing. Well its just not that easy.
iTS GOING TO TALE ALOT OF WORK. But we will get there.
If we lose fans while we go through this rough patch then BYE see ya. You arent much of a fan. Its easy being a fan when you are winning. Times like these you find where your fan base really is.

NorthernBison
10-18-2010, 07:06 PM

The thing that might MASK some of our improvement will be that there are many MORE programs that fully commit themselves at this level. Our margin for error is tiny.

You go into the season expecting that every FCS game is winnable. Still, a few mistakes in any game might result in a loss so one or two are almost inevitable. Now, throw in a few key injuries and an extra mistake or two and the playoff run is out the window. Not many cupcakes on the schedule. And don't kid yourself, we aren't going to sneak up on anybody.

THEsocalledfan
10-18-2010, 07:09 PM
I agree. Many think this should happen over night. An instant gratification thing. Well its just not that easy.
iTS GOING TO TALE ALOT OF WORK. But we will get there.
If we lose fans while we go through this rough patch then BYE see ya. You arent much of a fan. Its easy being a fan when you are winning. Times like these you find where your fan base really is.

PL, you played for NDSU, too. My question to you is what is your opinion of the current coaching? I am starting to lose faith; seems like CAS has been there for some time, and just wondering your opinion.

lakesbison
10-18-2010, 07:24 PM
whatever, FCS is a joke, and We should be 6-0, UNI, WIU, ILL ST are NOT THAT GOOD.

with a wrinkle here, a play call there, ONE FREAKIN DEFENSIVE STAND. and not starting out 0-7 0-10 gets us at 6-0.

NDSU should be above FCS, the TALENT on this team is amazing, the young kids should all be starting from day 1. They are FBS caliber (turner, olson, m williams)

its an embrassment to be 4-3, an absolute EMBARASSMENT.

CAS4127
10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
And, let us not forget that Bohl himself has a lot to do with the frustration level of some of us. He said, and I quote him loosely, we want to come out of the transition years ready to win a National Championship.

56, I must respectfully disagree with your position that we can not be a contender year in and year out; that that was D2 stuff, etc. Why can't we be? Like Gabe, with whom I am "arguing" in another thread, said there, "Southern Illinois has won a Championship and has been a dominating team for the last 10 years. Let's not even talk about UNI's 15 Conference Championships and annual playoff runs." Since when does NDSU have to take a backseat to those programs. WTF!!!!!!

56BISON73
10-18-2010, 07:52 PM
PL, you played for NDSU, too. My question to you is what is your opinion of the current coaching? I am starting to lose faith; seems like CAS has been there for some time, and just wondering your opinion.

Its really hard for me to make a definative judgement as Iam not in contact with them on a regular basis. I havent seen them coach practices etc.
But from what I can ascertain from game day the team is disiplined one week and not the next. We make stupid mistakes at the most criticle times. Iam not talking about simple errors. Iam talking about Vital errors. Game changing errors. It goes beyong mear description what it does to a team and the outcome of a game when these happen.
There is often confusion on the sidelines on who is supposed to be playing. etc etc etc
At times there is a total lack of fundlemental football being played. Like going for the show boat hit on defense instead of wrapping the runner up.
There is an old saying. If you cant do the small things right you certainly wont do the big things right when the opportunity presents its self.

This all falls to coaching. I myself cant imagine that the coaches aarent teaching this stuff so that would then fall on the players just not getting it and performing.
Then there are times when we are just getting our ass handed to us in the trenches.
Its very confusing to me to say the least and I just cant figure out if there is anyone place to point the finger or not.
But the fact still remains--no matter how badly it seems that we have played we still are in every freaking game.
Remember---at this level of play one or two plays can make the difference between winning and losing,
We could also go in to opportunities lost and given but we would be travelling the same road again.

But alot of this falls back to coaching. Coaching should fit a system to the talent level of the players involved. I think our players could be better utilized.

56BISON73
10-18-2010, 07:59 PM
And, let us not forget that Bohl himself has a lot to do with the frustration level of some of us. He said, and I quote him loosely, we want to come out of the transition years ready to win a National Championship.

56, I must respectfully disagree with your position that we can not be a contender year in and year out; that that was D2 stuff, etc. Why can't we be? Like Gabe, with whom I am "arguing" in another thread, said there, "Southern Illinois has won a Championship and has been a dominating team for the last 10 years. Let's not even talk about UNI's 15 Conference Championships and annual playoff runs." Since when does NDSU have to take a backseat to those programs. WTF!!!!!!

CAS I never said we couldnt be a contender year in and year out. Its just that dont expect it right out of the box JUST because we did it in D2. This is a different level of play.
For ex would you expect App State to move up to 1-A and win Big Ten championships right out of the box? Just because of there past success in 1-AA?

CAS4127
10-18-2010, 08:08 PM
CAS I never said we couldnt be a contender year in and year out. Its just that dont expect it right out of the box JUST because we did it in D2. This is a different level of play.
For ex would you expect App State to move up to 1-A and win Big Ten championships right out of the box? Just because of there past success in 1-AA?

56: Hope to talk with you Saturday about this, but, just to get the conversation started, FCS today is much like DII years ago, prior to DII being watered down with newcomers who then had voting rights and, who, in line with lessor DII schools, voted to begin decreasing scholarships (this is why we moved up). FWIW, I have talked personally with several coaches who were at DII and 1AA levels, and they concur. In fact, one even said the he thinks our 88 team would have beat Georgia Southern (IAA champs) that year, and the GS coach agreed with him. Plus, like many of the last several years, the current Bison are way smaller than in the glory years of NDSU football. Trust me, you didn't see inside LB's that were under 6 feet tall and weighed less than 220 pounds for example. And people wonder why we had a difficult time stopping some tough running backs on Saturday??!!

TransAmBison
10-18-2010, 08:21 PM
56: Hope to talk with you Saturday about this, but, just to get the conversation started, FCS today is much like DII years ago, prior to DII being watered down with newcomers who then had voting rights and, who, in line with lessor DII schools, voted to begin decreasing scholarships (this is why we moved up). FWIW, I have talked personally with several coaches who were at DII and 1AA levels, and they concur. In fact, one even said the he thinks our 88 team would have beat Georgia Southern (IAA champs) that year, and the GS coach agreed with him. Plus, like many of the last several years, the current Bison are way smaller than in the glory years of NDSU football. Trust me, you didn't see inside LB's that were under 6 feet tall and weighed less than 220 pounds for example. And people wonder why we had a difficult time stopping some tough running backs on Saturday??!!
You'll have to settle for me, since 56Bison73 will be unavailable for comment. I believe he will be "hunting" or a better description will be driving around until comes upon some roadkill and then tags it.:D

SDbison
10-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Hope to meet and chat with you Saturday CAS. If I did meet and chat with you at the last home game then my apologies.....the booze might have erased some things.:D

CAS4127
10-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Hope to meet and chat with you Saturday CAS. If I did meet and chat with you at the last home game then my apologies.....the booze might have erased some things.:D

I'll be there--just warning you!!

56BISON73
10-18-2010, 10:30 PM

I can agree with you to a certain extent. I even mentioned many moons ago that the the current FCS remined me of D2 from many years ago. But was pretty much yelled down at that point.:D
The major difference that I see is the speed of the game is faster. And some of the position players are bigger with increased speed as well. IMO.

You know I have wondered about the LBs size myself and for some reason it didnt click until your post. You nailed that one.

And again you are correct that there are two different D2 eras each one with its own set of circumstances and quality of players.

This weekend is up in the air for me right now. Waiting on a few business things to come about to set the ball in motion.

56BISON73
10-18-2010, 10:31 PM
You'll have to settle for me, since 56Bison73 will be unavailable for comment. I believe he will be "hunting" or a better description will be driving around until comes upon some roadkill and then tags it.:D

Where do you think YOUR sausage came from:D

freelancer
10-19-2010, 08:52 PM

So go tailgate in the mud. Pee in a plastic jug. And go shoot.those pheasants then slap your girlfriend/cousins fat butt and live your sad lives.

This guys a joke...

lakesbison
10-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Ok TANK! nice try.

bisonfan11
10-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Just one minor thing.

UNI has won 14 of the 25 Gateway/MVFC conference titles...or 56% of the conference titles...sadly no FCS National Titles.

And NDSU should aspire to be that big road block in UNI's path to winning the MVC crown year in and year out instead of an "overrated door-mat". Because we came in to the MVC feeling good (some people feeling over confident) that we could be a serious challenger to the MVC crown. Instead the team has headed south and we look silly to the fans of SDSU, UNI, and SIU.

HerdBot
10-19-2010, 09:40 PM
I think NDSU fans and Bisonville are much more passionate about football than SDSU. We have thousands more fans show up for tailgating and the game itself. There are dozens and dozens more regular posters on our messageboard. We have Bison Illusotrated, and a metro area that loves to go to Bison games. We also had a winning tradition in the past. Teams like SDSU have had mediocrity for a long time and just got a taste of success the past couple years. SDSU used to treat basketball as king and football as a side event.

SD that was a great post. One of the best ever.

And also the teams we beat in the Playoffs were FULLY FUNDED! For the most part the NCC was fully funded and was the best D2 conference on the planet. Northern Colorado and UND won Championships. South Dakota went to the Championship. Our Championship teams could have beaten the D1AA Championship teams. ED Schultz once said the 80s teams would have beaten the Gophers. Given the recent wins it makes sense.

Besides the Gophers, Western Michigan, Kansas, Ball State all had more scholarships than we did. We beat a fully funded Montana team as a D2 team in in 2003. Anyone who implies we didn't earn our D2 titles should be shot on site!

99Bison
10-19-2010, 09:52 PM

Who's talking about "just because of DII" stuff? It seems that the complaint is really:
- No one is saying we should be winning like it's the 80's, it's more like we should be very competitve like most the 90's at least.
- This is 7 years into "a different level"
- The switch over these 7 years is more like going from high end FCS to WAC/MWC than FCS to the Big Ten.
- Anyone would put the 06 and 07 and probably even 05 teams up against the MVFC and felt comforatable about competiting each year.
- Consistenly competing and beating upper tier teams (BCS) that you are not even supposed to competitive with.
- **** the biggest frustration IMHO is that the resources for football at the beginning of this 7 years were already on par or above where you were going. If you are going just by this, this is like going from WAC to MWC... which is nothing.

How is anyone supposed to think that you can't be competitive year in and year out yet... is 7 years still "out of the box" is 3 years in MVFC coming off of two 10-1 seasons still not "out of the box"?

Yes, sure one can buy into some adjustment period when changing conferenes but in this case sure doesn't seen to imply that you can't be competitive.

HerdBot
10-19-2010, 09:54 PM
If you look at the scholarship differences its tougher to jump from D2 to D1AA.
Correct me if im wrong but isn't it 45 split scholarships to 65 full to 90 full?

56BISON73
10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Who's talking about "just because of DII" stuff? It seems that the complaint is really:
- No one is saying we should be winning like it's the 80's, it's more like we should be very competitve like most the 90's at least.
- This is 7 years into "a different level"
- The switch over these 7 years is more like going from high end FCS to WAC/MWC than FCS to the Big Ten.
- Anyone would put the 06 and 07 and probably even 05 teams up against the MVFC and felt comforatable about competiting each year.
- Consistenly competing and beating upper tier teams (BCS) that you are not even supposed to competitive with.
- **** the biggest frustration IMHO is that the resources for football at the beginning of this 7 years were already on par or above where you were going. If you are going just by this, this is like going from WAC to MWC... which is nothing.

How is anyone supposed to think that you can't be competitive year in and year out yet... is 7 years still "out of the box" is 3 years in MVFC coming off of two 10-1 seasons still not "out of the box"?

Yes, sure one can buy into some adjustment period when changing conferenes but in this case sure doesn't seen to imply that you can't be competitive.

If you look at all of our games we have been competitive. We have just lost a whole bunch of them.

What Ive seen more than anything else is its not that they want to be competitive because we are. They dont understand why we arent dominating like the teams of old.

Even one of those 10-1 teams could have been 6-5 very easily.

roadwarrior
10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
If you look at the scholarship differences its tougher to jump from D2 to D1AA.
Correct me if im wrong but isn't it 45 split scholarships to 65 full to 90 full?

36 - 63 - 85, I think

Bison"FANatic"
10-19-2010, 10:10 PM
36 - 63 - 85, I think

For a second I thought you should be posting in the badabing thread then I figued with those numbers it must be UND cheerleaders

99Bison
10-19-2010, 10:31 PM
If you look at all of our games we have been competitive. We have just lost a whole bunch of them.

What Ive seen more than anything else is its not that they want to be competitive because we are. They dont understand why we arent dominating like the teams of old.

Even one of those 10-1 teams could have been 6-5 very easily.

Disagree, the domination word is rarely used and usually by only lakes.

I don't think anyone believes 7-13 is being competive in the conference, especially the way we have been losing:
4-4
2-6
1-3

Bisonguy
10-19-2010, 10:56 PM

I don't think anyone believes 7-13 is being competive in the conference, especially the way we have been losing:
4-4
2-6
1-3

Yeah, I don't believe domination is a realistic expectation. However, the 35% conference winning percentage is horrible. Heck, I'd be happy if it was a meager 51%.

The move to DI had ONE major goal: for the football team to be a top 10 team on a regular basis and contending for conference and national championships. That was the exact sales pitch by Chapman, Taylor, and Bohl. The funding and support is in place, but the product has fallen flat on it's face.

I'm not for firing Bohl this season, but if Taylor hasn't poured a gallon of kerosene under Bohl's chair and has a box of strike-anywhere matches ready to go in the offseason, something's rotten in the football offices in the Fargodome. It's piss or get off the pot time for next season.

56BISON73
10-19-2010, 11:11 PM

4-4
2-6
1-3

I Use the word competitive because we have been in every game. My comments had nothing to do with conference results-standings.

BlueBisonRock
10-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I don't believe domination is a realistic expectation. However, the 35% conference winning percentage is horrible. Heck, I'd be happy if it was a meager 51%.

I'm not for firing Bohl this season, but if Taylor hasn't poured a gallon of kerosene under Bohl's chair and has a box of strike-anywhere matches ready to go in the offseason, something's rotten in the football offices in the Fargodome. It's piss or get off the pot time for next season.

White gas gets a much better 'flash' and effect. :D

(Great post!)

TransAmBison
10-20-2010, 01:49 AM
You know things are reaching their breaking point when Bisonguy gets this blunt.

Tatanka
10-20-2010, 01:53 AM
You know things are reaching their breaking point when Bisonguy gets this blunt.

This. Someone needs to get that man some fabric softener for his action khakis, STAT.

TheBisonator
10-20-2010, 02:56 AM
I feel really weird being completely on PL's side on this issue.

(j/k, PL. You're all right. :D)

UTH
10-20-2010, 03:10 PM
For a second I thought you should be posting in the badabing thread then I figued with those numbers it must be SDSU's cheerleaders

Cudos on the quick reply - I thought the same thing.

SDSUAlum08
11-12-2010, 04:50 AM

I hear many of you saying that there is no way a team can win 4 games in a row and make the playoffs; also a few are saying there's no other game that's important than the Marker game? Are you kidding me? :confused:

GET A GRIP PEOPLE!! You're 4-3. You were 3-8 last year. If you see improvement to 6-5 or 7-4 then you have nothing to complain about. You can complain next year if things go bad...but not this year. You guys were terrible last year.

I'm actually hoping that the Jacks can pull off 5 wins over the next 5 games to win the conference and make the playoffs. You guys think the season is already over.

BUMP

You guys are Bipolar. I can't even imagine the melt down if SDSU wins Saturday. Good luck and I hope it's a great game.

Go Jacks!

lakesbison
11-12-2010, 05:03 AM
DAM RIGHT WE"LL MELTDOWN!

you got a freakin chance to go 2-0 and get a home playoff game, its RIGHT THERE... WE as FANS OF A PRESTIGIOUS PROGRAM DEMAND IT!@!!!

NDSUFan_Sav
11-12-2010, 05:16 AM
BUMP

You guys are Bipolar. I can't even imagine the melt down if SDSU wins Saturday. Good luck and I hope it's a great game.

Go Jacks!

not worse then Kai's mom :D

lakesbison
11-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Or the bathroom brawler!

Or the 'COKE THROWER'--right Ming??

Gully
11-12-2010, 12:48 PM
BUMP

Go Jacks!

This is true. I think the expectations are just so high around here (I'm not saying that's a bad thing). We're 6-3 but I think most people are very dissapointed in the results.....which sounds weird to say but that's how high the expectations are.

I think most people, however, agree that the future looks bright over the next few years. We have a lot of young kids playing and playing well. Not too many seniors. Gratzek will probably be the biggest loss....he is just a beast.

THEsocalledfan
11-12-2010, 12:59 PM
BUMP

Go Jacks!

Some day, if SDSU ever develops tradition in football, has great facilities, and actually sell out CAS more than once a season, you will understand.

onbison09
11-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Some day, if SDSU ever develops tradition in football, has great facilities, and actually sell out CAS more than once a season, you will understand.

And Boom Goes the Dynamite

onbison09
11-12-2010, 02:20 PM
This is true. I think the expectations are just so high around here (I'm not saying that's a bad thing). We're 6-3 but I think most people are very dissapointed in the results.....which sounds weird to say but that's how high the expectations are.

I think most people, however, agree that the future looks bright over the next few years. We have a lot of young kids playing and playing well. Not too many seniors. Gratzek will probably be the biggest loss....he is just a beast.

And I think that's a great thing. Like Rex Ryan said, "Hey we're the underdog great! F*** that!"

tjbison
11-12-2010, 06:18 PM
8 to 0

You figure it out Bunny fan

BisonNeil
11-12-2010, 10:42 PM

Everything you have stated is true for every team that are as young as the Bison. Youth breeds inconsistency. If you watched college football at all on TV you would know that because they talk about it all the time, such as with NC State. Patience...

BisoninNWMN
11-13-2010, 12:14 AM
8 to 0

You figure it out Bunny fan

Enough said!!!!!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

SDSUAlum08
01-12-2011, 01:43 AM

BUMP

Had to put this up top just for a laugh. It was right after a loss to Illinois State. A thread on the SDSU board reminded me of when I wrote this. Looks like things ended up OK for you guys...

BadlandsBison
01-12-2011, 02:25 AM
BUMP

Had to put this up top just for a laugh. It was right after a loss to Illinois State. A thread on the SDSU board reminded me of when I wrote this. Looks like things ended up OK for you guys...

Nah, things are awful;)

lakesbison
01-12-2011, 03:21 AM
You see, SDSU would be gizzing down their leg for the Robert Morris win (1 playoff win), they woulda Randy Marshe'd the room after the MSU win.................. but here in bisonville..

we are PISSED OFF WE DIDNT WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

BadlandsBison
01-12-2011, 04:12 AM
You see, SDSU would be gizzing down their leg for the Robert Morris win (1 playoff win), they woulda Randy Marshe'd the room after the MSU win.................. but here in bisonville..

we are PISSED OFF WE DIDNT WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

BAHAHA you're killing me!

Jay
01-12-2011, 04:37 AM
Ahhh... an old fashion!