PDA

View Full Version : Opening A Can Of Worms

Comfortably Numb Bison
10-16-2010, 04:53 PM
OK, I gotta ask this.

Lets just say we make the playoffs and/or have a winning record... Then it sounds like Brew Crew is going to be sent down the Mississippi River on a slow boat to China. Would Bohl be considered again or crazy enough to take a dead end job at the U of M.

tjbison
10-16-2010, 04:55 PM
short answer..........NO! they will need a better more proven coach to right that ship

Bison"FANatic"
10-16-2010, 04:59 PM
The big difference I see in bringing in Bohl is that it would be two totally different O and D schemes. It took Brewster a few years to recruit more of a spread type offensive player and and their D. Bohl would have made more sense after Mason as the philosophy was closer. I think switching type of players again would set them back even further. But I am no AD

NDSUstudent
10-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Brewster has scrapped the spread, they are a power running pro style offense now. But I don't think Bohl is a candidate for this kind of job right now, I think the Gophers will try to make a splash if they can.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-16-2010, 05:07 PM
OK, I gotta ask this.

Lets just say we make the playoffs and/or have a winning record... Then it sounds like Brew Crew is going to be sent down the Mississippi River on a slow boat to China. Would Bohl be considered again or crazy enough to take a dead end job at the U of M.

Are you kidding? Bohl has proven the last 3 years that he is a mediocre coach at the FCS level. If Maturi has any brains he wouldn't even think of Bohl. Then again..............:D

WYOBISONMAN
10-16-2010, 05:09 PM
I doubt Bohl would even get a look from MN (not that I know what goes on in the athletic dept. at MN.....LOL;) ).

No_Skill
10-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Dan Barreiro did bring his name up a few weeks ago on his show. :blush:

KTF
10-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Over on Gopherhole.com, Bohl was suggested as a predesscor to Brewster. Most, if not all, gopher fans want nothing to do with Bohl. They claim he has had nothing but discipline problems at NDSU and Nebraska, doesn't know how to recruit, can't win big games, and his departure from the Nebraska program.

The interesting thing is when Brewster was hired, Bohl was consulted by Maturi as to some of the candidates. I know that Maturi and Bohl are friends.

Most of the fans think they are going to bring a big time coordinator from an elite program. Definitely looking thru maroon and gold glasses on that one!!

At this point, I don't see Bohl being gobbled up by any program this year. Maybe if they make the palyoffs this year and next.

Bison"FANatic"
10-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Brewster has scrapped the spread, they are a power running pro style offense now. But I don't think Bohl is a candidate for this kind of job right now, I think the Gophers will try to make a splash if they can.

I see, shows how much I have been paying attention to the Gophers:( :(

Mr_Meanor
10-16-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't see the Gophers looking at Bohl. I would love to see the U of M take a serious look at Mike Tice. Tice did a good job with the Vikings considering the talent he had. I think he would be a good recruiter and would put a hard nose football team on the field. Anyone think Tice would be interested in a head coaching job at the college level?

NDSUstudent
10-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I bet Tice would, but he doesn't have a college degree.

Mr_Meanor
10-16-2010, 05:41 PM
I bet Tice would, but he doesn't have a college degree.

I didn't know Tice never graduated. I think he would be a great college coach.

TransAmBison
10-16-2010, 05:44 PM
OK, I gotta ask this.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:
:rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

stevdock
10-16-2010, 05:56 PM
If Bohl were interviewed for the job would he be stupid enough to take it knowing he could and maybe should lose to an FCS team next year??

overquota
10-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately for the Gopher fans, they are going to have a hard time, hiring a big name coach who can make a splash, for two reasons.

1. Anybody looking at that program, knows it has a bigger problem than the wrong coach.

2. Instead of learning from the mistakes, that Notre Dame, Nebraska and U of Washington, did in hiring "Splashy" big name coaches, only to fire them every 3 to 4 years, they need to really put in an effort and find a coach or coordinator that has the resume to turn around the ship. Someone who has turned other ships around, or a coordinator with a resume of being able to help win games with a defense or offense when he has the least amount of talent on the field. For example, Oregon State has the 2nd best record in the PAC10 over the last 4 years with out any superstars, the roster is filled with 1 star players.

tony
10-16-2010, 06:13 PM
If Bohl were interviewed for the job would he be stupid enough to take it knowing he could and maybe should lose to an FCS team next year??

Heh, first Bohl would make it part of his contract that the U of M not schedule FCS teams. Second, if his contract guaranteed enough money to retire on, why not?

That said, wouldn't Farley be the leading contender from the pool of MVFC coaches? If nothing else, he'd beat USD by 50.

Gully
10-16-2010, 06:43 PM
The big difference I see in bringing in Bohl is that it would be two totally different O and D schemes. It took Brewster a few years to recruit more of a spread type offensive player and and their D. Bohl would have made more sense after Mason as the philosophy was closer. I think switching type of players again would set them back even further. But I am no AD

Minnesota already ditched the spread and went back to a more traditional running game.

ndsubison1
10-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Not a chance.

Some possible candidates: Troy Calhoun, Air Force; Al Golden, Temple coach; Mike Leach, former Texas Tech, Mark Mangino, former KU; Jim Leavitt, former South Florida; Kevin Sumnin, Houston (some MN ties); Darrell Bevell, Vikings O-Coordinator; Carl Pelini, Nebraska D-Coord;

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Its official, Brewster is done.

They can have Bohl, although even the U of M isn't that dumb. Or are they..............:hide:

semobison
10-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Tony Dungy?

onbison09
10-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Tony Dungy?

No chance. He'd be stupid to take that.

jarhead
10-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Dungy was asked about the Gopher job and he said he was not interested. He said he likes being an analyst and having time to spend with his family in Florida. As Rodriguez found in trying to bring the spread north to Michigan, it isn't always easy recruit-
ing the type of athlete you need in a certain area of the country. The coach you hire better fit your real or realistically potential recruiting base or you will probably have a hard time filling your needs. I think Ohio State would have a hard time winning if they relied solely on players from Florida. With rare exceptions (Notre Dame eg) home state kids are going to provide the core of most schools rosters.