PDA

View Full Version : Why does it seem that we always lead the MVC in injuries?

bisonfan11
10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
It has seemed that ever since the '08 season we have always had a score of injuries on this team. I was hoping that this season we could be a little healthier, but yet once again we are looking more and more like the "Banged-up" Bison. Why is that? Granted I do not actively scout the other 8 teams in the MVC to see how many injuries they have, but it seems like we always (since '08 anyways) have at least one major loss or more and our injury report list is quite large. I know that this is football and football is a very physical sport, but it seems like NDSU has to deal with one injury after another more often than not. I feel that some of the reason for the long list of injuries is the Astro-Turf in the Fargodome. I feel it is high time that NDSU shells out the extra $$ and purchases Field-Turf instead. Perhaps that might protect players on home games a little more. But still why do we lose so many players?? And why is it that it seems most other MVC teams get by with very little injuries during the season??

(If I am wrong about this let me know, but be civil).

roadwarrior
10-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Yep, that dang astro turf caused Brock's broken collarbone and Brendin's broken wrist.

HandoEX
10-14-2010, 02:29 PM
I think it's no worse here than at any other valley team. I also think it has been used as a crutch to try to excuse poor play.

bisonfan11
10-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Yep, that dang astro turf caused Brock's broken collarbone and Brendin's broken wrist.

I know that astro turf did not cause those injuries, but over all (from '08-now) quite a few of NDSU's injuries have been in part because of astro-turf (see Jensen's turf toe and Graztek's season ending injury). I have also heard that astro-turf is the LEAST SAFE playing surface for football. I just figure with the money that the athletic department is getting that it might be time to look for a safer alternative for astro turf.

SDbison
10-14-2010, 02:59 PM
I think some players on Bison teams of the last few years have tried to carry too much of the load on their back. The lack of depth of quality / experienced players is evident. I think some guys are playing great and showing up on game day while others are not. If you try to be exceptional on every play it is possible to push yourself to injury. Obviously some are just fluke injuries.

tjbison
10-14-2010, 03:11 PM
I know that astro turf did not cause those injuries, but over all (from '08-now) quite a few of NDSU's injuries have been in part because of astro-turf (see Jensen's turf toe and Graztek's season ending injury). I have also heard that astro-turf is the LEAST SAFE playing surface for football. I just figure with the money that the athletic department is getting that it might be time to look for a safer alternative for astro turf.

Bison Football has been played on Astro Turf For YEARS that is a poor excuse IMO, also it isn't up to the School on the surface they play on its the City. NDSU has Sprint turf (brother to Field turf) on its Practice field.

mgbison
10-14-2010, 03:22 PM
We don't have any more injuries than any other team. Look at SIU, they've lost 3 or 4 preseason all conference players for the year. MSU has no linebackers left. The list goes on.

We didn't have a serious injury until the WIU game. We can't complain. Gratzeck will be back, Willson can wear a cast, Vandal will be back. The only year ending injuries to starters are Pierre and Jensen.

Dabison
10-14-2010, 03:37 PM
We really do need some new indoor turf. The stuff we'd get would look nice and I'm sure a lot better to play on. Save a knee or two.

X-Factor
10-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Like the above post said, go take a look at Southern Illinois before you complain. College football is a high contact sport and there will always be injuries. IMO we are very healthy.

stevdock
10-14-2010, 04:06 PM
I think some players on Bison teams of the last few years have tried to carry too much of the load on their back. The lack of depth of quality / experienced players is evident. I think some guys are playing great and showing up on game day while others are not. If you try to be exceptional on every play it is possible to push yourself to injury. Obviously some are just fluke injuries.

The last few years I think you are absolutely right. The other part is that the MVFC is a very physical conference, very similar at some points to the NCC. Back in the 90's you could definitely blame the turf, but I don't see very many injuries caused from the turf in the last few years.

Dabison
10-14-2010, 04:16 PM
I think the worst part is running on it. I has to take a toll on the players joints and muscles. Eventually weakening the joints and muscles because of all the wear and tear. This would be a good thesis for a masters: "The effects of astro turf to field turf on an athletes body in a span of 4/5 years"

CAS4127
10-14-2010, 04:27 PM
By SDBison:
I think some guys are playing great and showing up on game day while others are not. If you try to be exceptional on every play it is possible to push yourself to injury.

I must respectfully disagree with you on this point, my friend. Players are more prone to be injured if they ARE NOT giving 100% on each play, and when "finishing" a play. Take Jason Miller (former RB) for example, he was fast, had some talent, and, physically big and strong enough to play for the Bison, but, he would let up just before getting hit--result--separated hip joint/career ending injury. If a LB sees a runner slowing up before contact, the cross-hairs become even more focused and it's "Katy bar the door"/earhole time!!

Otherwise, I do not believe our turf is the reason for injuries. There are plenty of injuries in FB, whether on grass or some form of turf. Heck, one of my worst injuries came at Northern Colorado, and that was a grass field. As for how it happened, well, that is a whole nother story that I am still pissed about (think cheap ass helmet to the knee!!).

lakesbison
10-14-2010, 05:04 PM
CAS, miller and I outdrank you numerous times over on college street. I cant wait to tell him this post!!

*WINK*

Dabison
10-14-2010, 05:33 PM
By SDBison:

I must respectfully disagree with you on this point, my friend. Players are more prone to be injured if they ARE NOT giving 100% on each play, and when "finishing" a play. Take Jason Miller (former RB) for example, he was fast, had some talent, and, physically big and strong enough to play for the Bison, but, he would let up just before getting hit--result--separated hip joint/career ending injury. If a LB sees a runner slowing up before contact, the cross-hairs become even more focused and it's "Katy bar the door"/earhole time!!

Otherwise, I do not believe our turf is the reason for injuries. There are plenty of injuries in FB, whether on grass or some form of turf. Heck, one of my worst injuries came at Northern Colorado, and that was a grass field. As for how it happened, well, that is a whole nother story that I am still pissed about (think cheap ass helmet to the knee!!).

Agree with you 100%!

I'm saying players get worn down more by all the pounding on the harder surfaces.

It's like running on sidewalk compared to grass. Grass feels a lot nicer on my knees afterward.

CAS4127
10-14-2010, 05:38 PM
[
B]I'm saying players get worn down more by all the pounding on the harder surfaces[/B].

Can't disagree with you on that one, but, then, they need to understand their physical limits, and take a self-called break (think tap on top of helmet after a play that your back-up is supposed to see), don't you think?

56BISON73
10-14-2010, 05:51 PM
By SDBison:

100% CAS 100%

TransAmBison
10-14-2010, 05:53 PM
What the heck do you guys know? Just cause you played football you think you have a clue? :D Ask Lakes, he will tell you the real reasons.

CAS4127
10-14-2010, 06:02 PM
What the heck do you guys know? Just cuz you played football you think you have a clue? :D Ask Lakes, he will tell you the real reasons. Fixed that for ya!

Also, don't be a thread killer now, Tranny (I kind of like that reference to you more then TAB btw), and it's not like we are playin Glory Days on the jukebox and tellin war stories or anything. Just givin our thoughts on subject at hand. As for Lakes, I think he bailed on BV and joined BKiefer's site--check out his posts on the contempleted move to FBS by some current FCS teams in that regard.:D

lakesbison
10-14-2010, 06:20 PM
I used to run circles around CAS and MILLER and GIDLEY and FREDRICKS and HYLAND. no doubt. dont talk to me about football

SDbison
10-14-2010, 06:39 PM
By SDBison:

As a former college football player I also know the give 100% or get hurt rule. Yes it is often true, but I am talking about fatigued players throwing their bodies around trying to make something happen. For example some guys trying to give 110% and getting hurt in the process. It does happen.

CAS4127
10-14-2010, 06:42 PM
As a former college football player I also know the give 100% or get hurt rule. Yes it is often true, but I am talking about fatigued players throwing their bodies around trying to make something happen. For example some guys trying to give 110% and getting hurt in the process. It does happen.

SD--reference my #15 post-I agree with you.

Dabison
10-14-2010, 08:55 PM
[

Can't disagree with you on that one, but, then, they need to understand their physical limits, and take a self-called break (think tap on top of helmet after a play that your back-up is supposed to see), don't you think?

I agree. I'm talking more about as the season goes on. Guy's legs and bodies feel a heck of a lot better when they're able to practice on the grass during fall camp.

Having the new field turf for wet practices has to help too.

Wally
10-15-2010, 12:03 AM
It's the curse of the Fargodome and it all started with Arden Beachy getting hurt in the 1st game in the dome:hide: :hide:

X-Factor
10-15-2010, 01:55 AM
It's the curse of the Fargodome and it all started with Arden Beachy getting hurt in the 1st game in the dome:hide: :hide:

How long before the Fargodome ends up on this list?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39522005/America_s_Most_Haunted_Homes

HerdBot
10-15-2010, 02:12 AM
It has seemed that ever since the '08 season we have always had a score of injuries on this team. I was hoping that this season we could be a little healthier, but yet once again we are looking more and more like the "Banged-up" Bison. Why is that? Granted I do not actively scout the other 8 teams in the MVC to see how many injuries they have, but it seems like we always (since '08 anyways) have at least one major loss or more and our injury report list is quite large. I know that this is football and football is a very physical sport, but it seems like NDSU has to deal with one injury after another more often than not. I feel that some of the reason for the long list of injuries is the Astro-Turf in the Fargodome. I feel it is high time that NDSU shells out the extra $$ and purchases Field-Turf instead. Perhaps that might protect players on home games a little more. But still why do we lose so many players?? And why is it that it seems most other MVC teams get by with very little injuries during the season??

(If I am wrong about this let me know, but be civil).

Most of our injuries occurred on youngstowns field turf. Our practice field is field turf and natural grass. Grass causes more injuries because its not even. But the dome turf is ghetto and ugly as hell. Needs to be replaced and removethe retarded looking fargodome logo.

Twentysix
10-15-2010, 04:30 AM

Season ending? Wow bohl was being light when he said 2 to 4 weeks then.