PDA

View Full Version : Any Questions Why DJ is the Starting RB Now.

Retired Ol' Ball Coach
10-14-2010, 05:14 AM
This is the ol ball coach from Texas, I'm back. The only thing that has changed, is I'm retired now. For those of you who don't know me, I'm not new to bisonville. I just lost my password. NOW LET'S TALK FOOTBALL. For those of you who don't know, I'm DJ's biggest fan. A few of you are still dogging this kid,and all he's trying to do is bring a championship to NDSU. 6.1 ypc. 570 apys last 3 games. D(ance)&j(ive). He's still dancing and jiving at the line, waiting for a hole to open. Maybe DJ should teach the rest of the RB's the Texas 2 step. What do you think (4mcrue and bisioin nwmn)?. Looks like you two are the biggest DJ haters in bisonville.

OrygunBison
10-14-2010, 05:27 AM
I think that it is precisely the reduction of "dancing" and "jiving" that is the result of the huge input from DJ this year. He's been hitting the hole hard now and he has a new fan in me, that's for sure.

GO DJ!!!

ndsubison1
10-14-2010, 05:59 AM
This is the ol ball coach from Texas, I'm back. The only thing that has changed, is I'm retired now. For those of you who don't know me, I'm not new to bisonville. I just lost my password. NOW LET'S TALK FOOTBALL. For those of you who don't know, I'm DJ's biggest fan. A few of you are still dogging this kid,and all he's trying to do is bring a championship to NDSU. 6.1 ypc. 570 apys last 3 games. D(ance)&j(ive). He's still dancing and jiving at the line, waiting for a hole to open. Maybe DJ should teach the rest of the RB's the Texas 2 step. What do you think (4mcrue and bisioin nwmn)?. Looks like you two are the biggest DJ haters in bisonville.

Welcome back! DJ's been pretty good the past few games and has solidified himself as our premier back! I think plenty more good games are in store for him

The Lost Dutchman
10-14-2010, 06:21 AM

Isn't it more so that DJ just really wasn't the same type of caliber back that Paschall and other backs that were ahead of him in the previous years? Say what you want to say, but DJ wasn't near as patient with his blocks in years past.

DjKyRo
10-14-2010, 06:26 AM
No questions here. DJ is my homeboy.

BisoninNWMN
10-14-2010, 11:25 AM

He has proved me wrong so far....great.

I just didn't have much confidence in him after seeing him last year.

Hopefully, he keeps it up.

GO BISON

Gully
10-14-2010, 12:45 PM
DJ is running with more aggression this year and has another top end gear that has been very impressive. No question he should be the starter. At times, however, he still dances too much. For example, short yardage in the red zone against Youngstown he danced and lost yards where he should have just put his head down and taken what he could get because there wasn't any room and there were two or three defenders there. But he's improved greatly and is at his best when the line opens a big enough hole to get him to the second level. That's where his moves can make linebackers and dbs look foolish. Hopefully the line continues to improve and we'll see more of him downfield.

bisonfan11
10-14-2010, 01:45 PM
D.J. proved me wrong, straight up. I was more concerned about him before the season started looking at his body of work up to the start of this season. One thing I know is that in the previous two years the O-Line has been solid and McNorton AT THAT TIME couldn't take advantage of the solid O-Line because he danced too much making it easier to tackle him for either a short gain or a loss of yardage. I had my doubts after the Kansas and UNI game, but starting in the 4th quarter of the Morgan State game McNorton started coming alive. So, I was wrong about McNorton. Who cares? All I want to see is that the BEST option for the team is playing, and I will go on record for saying that McNorton is the best option until he graduates. I also like his versatility. Look at the YSU game McNorton had 221 all purpose yards (90 rushing yards and 131 receiving yards). Would I have thought that he'd be this good? No. But am I pleasantly surprised and happy for McNorton? Absolutely.

When I wrote my post criticizing the coaching staff on starting McNorton over Voightlander I saw it like the coaching staff was making a "Mertens-like" mistake (hoping a player is good enough even though the player isn't all that good). I mean the '08 and '09 season was full of blunders in personnel decisions by coach Bohl, so I was guarded that starting McNorton was the best decision, but in turn McNorton has asserted himself as the best running back on this team. I am now firmly on the McNorton bandwagon because he has proved to me that he IS in fact good enough to start. Kudos D.J.

Herd Mentality
10-14-2010, 02:12 PM
As the man who coined D(ance&)J(ive)...

He did dance around way too much before, and like Gully mentions, sometimes he does do it when he shouldn't. I think he's made a great adjustment. I don't think there's ever been any question that he's talented.

CAS4127
10-14-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree, for what it is worth, that DJ has improved, but still dances a little too much before hitting the line of scrimmage, especially when it is a "up the middle" (as they say) run. There is just a little hesitation there when the play is really supposed to be a quick hitter, as in a trap or power run call, where you don't wait for hole to open, you just hit it where it is called, and be prepared to bounce off and bump it outside if not there. He, however, does explode through the gap/whole on the perimeter runs, which are plays designed to have RB allow the blocks to get set up and wait for whatever develops--much like a screen. Just sayin!!

P.S. And Sigers should get at least 10-15 touches a game--I really like him--you guys just wait and see what he does when he becomes the featured back. As a former defensive player (and current elite football mind--credit to PA there), I would not want to try to defend against him--but I would give it the old college try!!

lakesbison
10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
BALL COACH!!

I THOUGHT YOU WERE MEETING US IN LAWRANCE!! WHAT THE DUECE!!

see you soon, right?

DJ was my man from the start !

BlueBisonRock
10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
As a former defensive player (and current elite football mind--credit to PA there), ...!

Are you sayin' you've been schooled by the sausage? :D

lakesbison
10-14-2010, 05:05 PM
PA = Paul Allen. duh.

CAS4127
10-14-2010, 05:10 PM
PA = Paul Allen. duh.

Lakes is right again!! And my post probably should have read "and current, self-proclaimed elite football mind".

Otherwise, I like that we have two exceptional backs to go to--that's a good thing--just ask former Gofer coach GMason.

56BISON73
10-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Welcome back! DJ's been pretty good the past few games and has solidified himself as our premier back! I think plenty more good games are in store for him

He never left. Hes been here the whole time.

silkamilkamonico
10-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Isn't it more so that DJ just really wasn't the same type of caliber back that Paschall and other backs that were ahead of him in the previous years? Say what you want to say, but DJ wasn't near as patient with his blocks in years past.

It's simply a growing process.

DJ McNorton as a JR is putting up better stats than Pat Paschell as a JR. I think that says a lot actually.

tony
10-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Ball Coach, I can reset your password on your old account if you want. Just drop me a PM.

When other posters were talking about our crazy depth at RB during the preseason, I didn't chime in to agree so I'm very glad that DJ is having a great year. Yeah, he hesitates sometimes and sometimes tries to bounce it outside. Although Rocky might consider this "big-play" hunting, I haven't seen anybody complaining when bouncing to the outside gains 20 or 30 yards.

DJ is breaking more tackles, doesn't fumble, and is an excellent receiver out of the backfield (that play where he ducked behind the offensive line and snuck into the end zone was beautiful, btw). Heck, DJ is the second leading receiver and is averaging over 16 yards a catch (which would be good for a WR, much less a RB.)

EndZoneQB
10-14-2010, 07:20 PM
It's simply a growing process.

DJ McNorton as a JR is putting up better stats than Pat Paschell as a JR. I think that says a lot actually.

Or the fact that Paschall was behind Roehl...oh wait, sorry for clouding the discussion with facts :)

Tatanka
10-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Or the fact that Paschall was behind Roehl...oh wait, sorry for clouding the discussion with facts :)

And BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

silkamilkamonico
10-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Or the fact that both Roehl, and Paschel, both ran behind better run blocking olines than DJ has this year. Oh wait, dammit, there's that clouding of facts again!

:)

westnodak93bison
10-15-2010, 02:59 AM
Or the fact that both Roehl, and Paschel, both ran behind better run blocking olines than DJ has this year. Oh wait, dammit, there's that clouding of facts again!

:)

yep, ole Buckman and Foster are tough to replace

sambini
10-15-2010, 04:12 AM

He can flat out play coach. ++++

HerdBot
10-15-2010, 04:25 AM

He's the clear cut #1 running back right now. He's improved his speed, vision, and hits the hole faster. But 2 years ago he did not impress. I think he learned a lot watching Paschall & Roehl. I could care less about the past. All I care about is the future and it looks bright! Go DJ!

Bison Dan
10-15-2010, 01:50 PM
He's the clear cut #1 running back right now. He's improved his speed, vision, and hits the hole faster. But 2 years ago he did not impress. I think he learned a lot watching Paschall & Roehl. I could care less about the past. All I care about is the future and it looks bright! Go DJ!

People need to remember the DJ is only a Junior. 2 years ago a Freshman. He's had to learn how to be a great RB at this level. He'll finish with over 1,000 yards this season. Not bad considering the first 2 games. Anyone notice that he doesn't turn over the ball much?

HandoEX
10-15-2010, 03:07 PM
People need to remember the DJ is only a Junior. 2 years ago a Freshman. He's had to learn how to be a great RB at this level. He'll finish with over 1,000 yards this season. Not bad considering the first 2 games. Anyone notice that he doesn't turn over the ball much?

IIRC, DJ does not have a single fumbe in his career at NDSU.

CAS4127
10-15-2010, 04:02 PM
IIRC, DJ does not have a single fumbe in his career at NDSU.

Why, why I ask, did you have to jinx him??:banghead:

56BISON73
10-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Why, why I ask, did you have to jinx him??:banghead:

Yep. Ever notice when an announcer on TV says something to that effect the very next play---whooops there goes the football.:nod:

CAS4127
10-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Yep. Ever notice when an announcer on TV says something to that effect the very next play---whooops there goes the football.:nod:

Not to be a "thread-killer" but, in high school, while playing in a BB game, I swish the first of two freethrow. Ref says, "You have nice touch on your FT's". Yep--you guessed it, airballed the next effin one!!!:blush:

4mcruenomore
10-16-2010, 02:48 AM
Yes, DJ has proven me wrong, and I hope he continues to do well. BUT, since I was called out in this thread, I do feel that Ryan Smith as a true freshman is ahead of DJ a couple of years ago, so look out. Yes, I know, I know, I still think Jake Miller is a premier back, and I'm sad we didn't recruit him. BUT, I think Ryan is going to be awesome, well, he's a Bison, ofcourse he will be. Good luck to DJ the rest of the season!

SlickVic
10-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Not to be a "thread-killer" but, in high school, while playing in a BB game, I swish the first of two freethrow. Ref says, "You have nice touch on your FT's". Yep--you guessed it, airballed the next effin one!!!:blush:

Did you play for lute olson cas4217????? Jk I know that was before your time but at one time lute did coach the indians +++++++

westnodak93bison
10-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Good post. I agree.

Fightin' Bison
10-16-2010, 03:41 PM
I guess the real comparison would be what the other backs would do if given the same opportunities? We will never know.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Still keeps on dancing I see.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 08:54 PM
No dancing here, western ND style, #2 in rushing yards at NDSU, class B AA football, not fancy dancy Texas football:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1K3eWr-kEI

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 09:32 PM
No dancing here, western ND style, #2 in rushing yards at NDSU, class B AA football, not fancy dancy Texas football:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1K3eWr-kEI

I didn't get a chance to watch that entire video, but I believe it ended with another Steffes fumble.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 09:38 PM
I didn't get a chance to watch that entire video, but I believe it ended with another Steffes touchdown.

fixed it for you

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 09:39 PM
fixed it for you

Was it a fumble or a TD? He was an amazing Rb to watch when he wasn't fumbling, almost as good as Pat Paschell.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Was it a fumble or a TD? He was an amazing Rb to watch when he wasn't fumbling, almost as good as Pat Paschell.

I don't seem to see Pat in the record book? HMMMMM, let me look again, Oh Yeah, class B right there, there he is STEFFES.

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't seem to see Pat in the record book? HMMMMM, let me look again, Oh Yeah, class B right there, there he is STEFFES.

That's like saying John Gagliardi is the best coach in the history of college football. I didn't think you would ever acknowledge Minnesota > North Dakota in football! I guess there's a first for everything.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 09:48 PM
That's like saying John Gagliardi is the best coach in the history of college football. I didn't think you would ever acknowledge Minnesota > North Dakota in football! I guess there's a first for everything.

Neither Pat or DJ are from Minnesota, so don't get your post at all. Look at the rushing record book there silk, educate yourself.

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Neither Pat or DJ are from Minnesota, so don't get your post at all. Look at the rushing record book there silk, educate yourself.

Touche

1) Lamar Gordon 783 carries / 4700 yards
2) Kyle Steffes 800 carries 3952 yards

Looks like we're both wrong, and Wisconsin is where it's at.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Touche

1) Lamar Gordon 783 carries / 4700 yards
2) Kyle Steffes 800 carries 3952 yards

Looks like we're both wrong, and Wisconsin is where it's at.

True, too bad LG kicked in some windows and was completely wasted drunk and barely was kept on the team. Had some trouble keeping that open bleeding wound the last year. I heard he changed socks after each series, blood soaked. I love the out of state players for being such upstanding "thug" characters.

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 09:59 PM
True, too bad LG kicked in some windows and was completely wasted drunk and barely was kept on the team. Had some trouble keeping that open bleeding wound the last year. I heard he changed socks after each series, blood soaked. I love the out of state players for being such upstanding "thug" characters.

Just think, if he didn't shatter that glass door, he would have shattered Kyle Steffes' NDSU rushing numbers, that's for sure.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Just think, if he didn't shatter that glass door, he would have shattered Kyle Steffes' NDSU rushing numbers, that's for sure.

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Actually he is super lucky that Reggie Scott raped that chick, otherwise he wouldn't even be relevant.

If he wouldn't have been relevant at #2, than Kyle Steffes isn't relevant...currently.

SDSUAlum08
10-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Actually he is super lucky that Reggie Scott raped that chick, otherwise he wouldn't even be relevant. We need to recruit more inner city players for sure.

Wow...

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I guess retired ball coach is actually DJ, since has hasn't been posting, SINCE he's trying to play.

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 10:14 PM
If DJ is the ol ball coach, he is blowing up another defense himself. Another great run, and great screen by DJ!

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 10:15 PM
If DJ is the ol ball coach, he is blowing up another defense himself. Another great run, and great screen by DJ!

Everyone here just commented on the blocking, and he still danced almost missing the opening.

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Everyone here just commented on the blocking, and he still danced almost missing the opening.

Another game of averaging around 6 ypc, running behind the worst oline NDSU has had collectively since arguably before the option days. His weakness is hitting the hole consistently, but then again, he's probably the most explosive big play RB NDSU has had since the option days ala Tony Satter style.

Dude's had more runs of 20+ yards this year alone then a lot of NDSU RB's have had in their career.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Another game of averaging around 6 ypc, running behind the worst oline NDSU has had collectively since arguably before the option days. His weakness is hitting the hole consistently, but then again, he's probably the most explosive big play RB NDSU has had since the option days ala Tony Satter style.

Dude's had more runs of 20+ yards this year alone then a lot of NDSU RB's have had in their career.

that's fine, just win then if he is so good. prove me wrong.

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 10:28 PM
that's fine, just win then if he is so good. prove me wrong.

Oh he's winning. He's winning in style.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Oh he's winning. He's winning in style.

Ok SILKMYMILKMONICA, looks like you have a beef with me, sweet.

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Ok SILKMYMILKMONICA, looks like you have a beef with me, sweet.

That's cute. Can you please hate on some more NDSU student athletes please?

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 10:49 PM
That's cute. Can you please hate on some more NDSU student athletes please?

No, I'll just hate on MILKMYSILKMONICA, atleast my screen name means something to me, not milkingmymother wtf is that?

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 10:52 PM
No, I'll just hate on MILKMYSILKMONICA

I'm from ND so you might have some problems with that.

...atleast my screen name means something to me, not milkingmymother wtf is that?

That is absolutely brilliant. Cherio for you on that one.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm from ND so you might have some problems with that.

That is absolutely brilliant. Cherio for you on that one.

You are a complete tool. If you are a man, meet up at tailgate SIU.

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 11:02 PM
You are a complete tool. If you are a man, meet up at tailgate SIU.

That is outstanding. You are a regular Lawrence Welk. What happens at tailgate SIU? Are you going to sing the North Dakota Hymn for me?

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 11:09 PM
That is outstanding. You are a regular Lawrence Welk. What happens at tailgate SIU? Are you going to sing the North Dakota Hymn for me?

Just want to meet you in person and drink a beer. If you still have bad feelings toward me, then so be it and have it out then in person. It's bison football man.

mebisonII
10-23-2010, 11:11 PM
You guys are awesome. Wish I would have been watching this thread instead of the GDT. :rofl: :fight: :fight: :fight: :rofl:

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Just want to meet you in person and drink a beer. If you still have bad feelings toward me, then so be it and have it out then in person. It's bison football man.

I don't have bad feelings towards you. I don't even know you. I am simply wondering why you are hating on NDSU student athletes. And clearly by your personal remarks towards me, which I have made none btw, you're the one that has bad feelings.

4mcruenomore
10-23-2010, 11:15 PM
I don't have bad feelings towards you. I don't even know you. I am simply wondering why you are hating on NDSU student athletes. And clearly by your personal remarks towards me, which I have made none btw, you're the one that has bad feelings.

Nah, let's have a couple of beers. It's all good.

tony
10-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Very good game by DJ.

bisonfan11
10-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Just so everyone in Bisonville knows this, I was wrong about DJ. McNorton is a stud and not only the best running back on the team, he is the best offensive player on the Bison regardless if the Bison win or lose.

Gully
10-24-2010, 01:35 AM
DJs speed continues to impress me once he gets an opening. He's run very hard this year as well and doesn't put the ball on the ground very often either.

Scooter1
10-24-2010, 01:41 AM
I thought I would throw this out there.....

Pat paschall numbers after game 8...(7 played)
1034 rushing
139 receiving
1174 Total
7 TD

DJ McNorton after 8 games....
841 rushing
282 passing
1123 Total
9 TD

EndZoneQB
10-24-2010, 01:56 AM
I thought I would throw this out there.....

Pat paschall numbers after game 8...(7 played)
1034 rushing
139 receiving
1174 Total
7 TD

DJ McNorton after 8 games....
841 rushing
282 passing
1123 Total
9 TD

Good post, and DJ does look MUCH improved in the open field with his speed this year - VERY impressive. He's quite an open field weapon...aka why don't we run more screens or him split out more often?? Once he gets to that second level my god is that kid dangerous...one of the best I've seen. When he makes a cut, he hardly loses any speed...it's really impressive...I'm glad he's a Bison!

bisonfan11
10-24-2010, 02:39 AM
Is there any room on the D.J. fan club? I know I doubted him before the season, but I was wrong.:hide: I would like to be on team D.J. for good.

WYOBISONMAN
10-24-2010, 02:47 AM
Early in his career it seemed like DJ would do a lot of running east to west, but now he is much more north/south.

ndsubison1
10-24-2010, 08:27 PM
DJ has very good football speed. His cuts and jukes are great

99Bison
10-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Anyone notice DJ "danced" the first couple carries on the first drive then immediately on next possession ran more agressively and hit the intended hole. DJ looks fantastic when he runs agressively - physical and powerful speed.

stevdock
10-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Anyone notice DJ "danced" the first couple carries on the first drive then immediately on next possession ran more agressively and hit the intended hole. DJ looks fantastic when he runs agressively - physical and powerful speed.

Yep, noticed that. I think it was a little more than the first drive though. I thought it was last 1st quarter or early 2nd where Polasek was all over the RB's. Don't know if that was DJ or fullbacks or what, but shortly after that Bohl did the same thing to that huddle of players and then DJ really took off. Like I said don't know if it was directed at DJ or maybe it was blocks not being made by the FB/WR or maybe it was something totally unrelated. It was towards the specialty people though and not the O-line as they were further down the bench.

FYI Polasek might be one of the best assistant coaches we have had in a very long time. I've been very impressed. LOCK HIM UP (if you can).

DjKyRo
10-24-2010, 11:26 PM
I like reading this thread because I feel like everyone's talking about me. :)

Tatanka
10-24-2010, 11:46 PM
I like reading this thread because I feel like everyone's talking about me. :)

Oh no. Not another one. :D

Mandan_Herd_Fan
10-25-2010, 03:33 PM
I had the privilege of sitting in the wine and cheese seats this week, right behind the bison bench row 3. Anyway, the running back coach Polasek came up to DJ and said "look what happens when you don't do that dancing sh#t". I think it's been a conscious effort by the staff and DJ to improve his running style. Great job DJ.

Bison81
10-25-2010, 03:56 PM
i was questioning DJs ability , was thinking voitlander was more the ticket....
i'm on board with DJ .. wow.

Tatanka
10-25-2010, 04:09 PM
I had the privilege of sitting in the wine and cheese seats this week, right behind the bison bench row 3. Anyway, the running back coach Polasek came up to DJ and said "look what happens when you don't do that dancing sh#t". I think it's been a conscious effort by the staff and DJ to improve his running style. Great job DJ.

++ To Polasek as well.

HandoEX
10-25-2010, 04:26 PM
++ To Polasek as well.

Polasek is a terrific coach and DJ is just flat out great.

CAS4127
10-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Sigars is every bit as good as DJ, but that's a good thing. And, not to start an argument, but DJ does is not physical by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to see a physical player, pay attention to #40, Andrew Grothman--now that is how you play the game my friends. Not much limelight for him, but the blocks he makes are coming from his heart and soul! He is a major reason for our long runs and screens!

ndsubison1
10-25-2010, 08:58 PM

So you're saying Polasek has been reading bisonville? :D ;)

ndsubison1
10-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Sigars is every bit as good as DJ, but that's a good thing. And, not to start an argument, but DJ does is not physical by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to see a physical player, pay attention to #40, Andrew Grothman--now that is how you play the game my friends. Not much limelight for him, but the blocks he makes are coming from his heart and soul! He is a major reason for our long runs and screens!

and he caught a nice flood pass :nod:

Scooter1
10-25-2010, 10:48 PM

It looks like DJ stacks up rather nicely when compared to other NDSU backs that were considered Greats. DJ has been getting some good yards after contact this year. You may want to rethink your position after looking at these comparative stats.

statistical comparision of backs after 8 games....

Kyle Steffes (junior year)

180 /802 yards rushing 4.45 YPC
6 / 25 receiving
8 TD's
827 total yards 103.5 YPG

Tyler Roehl (Junior year)

141 / 988 yards rushing 7.0 YPC
13 / 126 yards receiving
14 TD's
1114 Total yards 139.25 YPG

DJ McNorton (junior Year)

134 / 841 yards rushing 6.276 YPC
16 / 282 yards receiving
9 TD's
1123 Total Yards 140.375

silkamilkamonico
10-25-2010, 11:44 PM
It looks like DJ stacks up rather nicely when compared to other NDSU backs that were considered Greats. DJ has been getting some good yards after contact this year. You may want to rethink your position after looking at these comparative stats.

6 / 25 receiving
8 TD's

13 / 126 yards receiving
14 TD's

16 / 282 yards receiving
9 TD's
1123 Total Yards 140.375

Great post and I agree.

I think the majority of people lable DJ "second tier" behind recent greats because he isn't quite as physical as guys like Roehl or even Steffes who was more of a downhill runner. I don't think he is quite as physical as them, but I do think he's more explosive in the open field then both of those players. He's a big play RB in every way.

IMHO, DJ is every bit placing himself in the recent greats category with the season he's having, regardless of his different skillset.

CarringtonBison
10-26-2010, 01:11 AM

6 / 25 receiving
8 TD's

13 / 126 yards receiving
14 TD's

16 / 282 yards receiving
9 TD's
1123 Total Yards 140.375

good post and thanks for the numbers. DJ is a good back who has improved his game a lot this year. He has more to improve and I look forward to his continuing contributions.

DjKyRo
10-26-2010, 01:55 AM
Great post and I agree.

I think the majority of people lable DJ "second tier" behind recent greats because he isn't quite as physical as guys like Roehl or even Steffes who was more of a downhill runner. I don't think he is quite as physical as them, but I do think he's more explosive in the open field then both of those players. He's a big play RB in every way.

IMHO, DJ is every bit placing himself in the recent greats category with the season he's having, regardless of his different skillset.

Absolutely agree. A yard is a yard, doesn't matter how you get it and DJ has come up clutch for us a number of times. Can't wait to see him develop into his senior year, not to mention see what else he's got this season. :)

NDSUstudent
10-26-2010, 01:59 AM
Great post and I agree.

I don't know, when healthy Roehl was an absolute freak. He could plow over an LB or blow right by them. Only Lamar was more explosive in my book.

I do love how DJ is maturing, he now has a sneaky burst of speed to go with elusiveness which makes him very dangerous. Especially now that he is playing with a bit of an edge and hitting the hole harder.

BlueBisonRock
10-26-2010, 02:07 AM
I don't know, when healthy Roehl was an absolute freak. He could plow over an LB or blow right by them. Only Lamar was more explosive in my book.

I do love how DJ is maturing, he now has a sneaky burst of speed to go with elusiveness which makes him very dangerous. Especially now that he is playing with a bit of an edge and hitting the hole harder.

Yes, he hits the hole harder and hits it before he has his hesitation step (also was refered to as dancing). And, I only saw him hesitate a few times on Saturday. By changing speed and direction after he has daylight, he is able to make some great moves and has open field in front of him. He is now expoiting his strengths rather than exposing a weakness.

He has three more games (or more if Gabe, Kyro, and a couple of others are on track) this year and a whole bunch next year. He is and will continue to make his presence known.

mgbison
10-26-2010, 02:30 AM
DJ is just a different back. He isn't as physical but he is a better all around back and because he doesn't try to run everybody over, he lessens his chance of getting banged up.

Roehl was a great back. However, he only had 1 really good year. He was banged up a lot of his senior year. It is a good example of why you can't run over everybody all the time. Also, Roehl wasn't afraid to fumble. How many fumbles did he have in his career? Quite a few. He was a leader though and his intensity is missed (siu game comes to mind)

Roehl's 06 season may go down as the best performance by a NDSU back ever, but Steffes and Gordon did it consistantly for 4 years.

DjKyRo
10-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Between a guy like Paschall who's great on the ground and DJ who's above average in the run and pass game, I'd prefer the multi-dimensional guy. The key last year was "load up the box and stuff Paschall" and our team couldn't do anything. With a guy like DJ he gives us other options to pursue that keeps defenses guessing and has really helped the quarterback get some confidence to make the tougher throws.

ndsubison1
10-26-2010, 02:38 AM
DJ is a typical WCO back. He's very capable of getting carries between the tackles, he's explosive. He also can catch the ball out of the backfield and run routes.

met1990
10-26-2010, 04:23 AM
Roehl's 06 season may go down as the best performance by a NDSU back ever, but Steffes and Gordon did it consistantly for 4 years.

This reminds me of the fan text message poll at the last Bison game. It was a question along the lines of "who is your favorite Bison running back?". I don't recall who won the poll. I just recall that Tony Satter was in last place with 6 percent. I told my wife that if I one Bison football game determined my life and I picked the players, I would pick Tony Satter as my RB with no second thoughts.

EndZoneQB
10-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Steffes did it consistently. Gordon did it explosively consistent.

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 02:53 PM

6 / 25 receiving
8 TD's

I didn't say DJ was not a good back, I just said if you think he is physical you are dead wrong. Also, being physical takes it's toll on a defensive. No one is backing away from tackling him in the 3rd of 4th quarter. We can compare stats all you want, but those have nothing to do with how physical a back is.

13 / 126 yards receiving
14 TD's

16 / 282 yards receiving
9 TD's
1123 Total Yards 140.375

I didn't say DJ was not a decent back, I just said if you think he is physical you are dead wrong. Also, being physical takes it's toll on a defensive. No one is backing away from tackling him in the 3rd of 4th quarter. We can compare stats all you want, but those have nothing to do with how physical a back is.

semobison
10-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Tony Satter was the most exciting Bison RB I have seen! He played in an offense where we didnt have a feature back. What were his career yards per carry? Around 10 yards a pop, I believe!

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Tony Satter was the most exciting Bison RB I have seen! He played in an offense where we didnt have a feature back. What were his career yards per carry? Around 10 yards a pop, I believe!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: --He would easily be an All-American in this offense and, yes, in this incredibly talented, high level of FB--the allmighty FCS!

Fightin' Bison
10-26-2010, 06:58 PM

Where are these guys now?

CAS4127
10-26-2010, 07:18 PM
"We" got off topic. DJ is our best back right now, and is the starter as a result, with Sigers not far behind, and with others waiting in the wings. We're just fine at RB position right now, other postions, not so fine.

SDbison
10-26-2010, 07:23 PM
"We" got off topic. DJ is our best back right now, and is the starter as a result, with Sigers not far behind, and with others waiting in the wings. We're just fine at RB position right now, other postions, not so fine.
Agreed. If the Bison were better at passing the running game would open up even more........and if the defense didn't spend 3/4ths of the game on the field they wouldn't be so tired and the offense would have more time to score (of course this implies the offfese can do more than 3 and out, or fumble, or penalty, etc). Kind of a catch 22 when you think about it!

EndZoneQB
10-26-2010, 07:29 PM

It's the one position we can legitimately say we have constantly recruited well. When we get Ojuri back next year, our backfield will be DEADLY...especially if Crockett is still around. I just wish we had that kind of depth everywhere on the field.

99Bison
10-27-2010, 05:18 PM
This reminds me of the fan text message poll at the last Bison game. It was a question along the lines of "who is your favorite Bison running back?". I don't recall who won the poll. I just recall that Tony Satter was in last place with 6 percent. I told my wife that if I one Bison football game determined my life and I picked the players, I would pick Tony Satter as my RB with no second thoughts.

Thought that was a funny travesty, it goes to show who votes in the fan text message polls... those that can remember only the last couple years.

Scooter1
10-27-2010, 07:27 PM
I didn't say DJ was not a decent back, I just said if you think he is physical you are dead wrong. Also, being physical takes it's toll on a defensive. No one is backing away from tackling him in the 3rd of 4th quarter. We can compare stats all you want, but those have nothing to do with how physical a back is.

Well, what you actually said was "DJ is not physical by any stretch of the imagination." You didn't say DJ needs to be more physical, you took an absolute stance. DJ has in fact had numerous 6,7,8,9 + yards this year where he has gotten the bulk of those yards after a broken tackle or initial contact. Just because a player doesn't lower his head and try to run over someone doesn't mean that they aren't physical. Is he physical compared to Roehl...no. But, he is consistantly getting yards after contact, that is something you associate with a physical back. You are right that no one is backing away from DJ in the third and fourth quarter, they appear more frozen trying to figure out which way to go to make the tackle.

Consistently hitting someone who just wants to run through you takes it's toll on a defense, but so does trying to tackle a back that has just made you look for your jock on the previous play.

CAS4127
10-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, what you actually said was "DJ is not physical by any stretch of the imagination." You didn't say DJ needs to be more physical, you took an absolute stance. DJ has in fact had numerous 6,7,8,9 + yards this year where he has gotten the bulk of those yards after a broken tackle or initial contact. Just because a player doesn't lower his head and try to run over someone doesn't mean that they aren't physical. Is he physical compared to Roehl...no. But, he is consistantly getting yards after contact, that is something you associate with a physical back. You are right that no one is backing away from DJ in the third and fourth quarter, they appear more frozen trying to figure out which way to go to make the tackle.

Consistently hitting someone who just wants to run through you takes it's toll on a defense, but so does trying to tackle a back that has just made you look for your jock on the previous play.

Well I can't say that I don't necessarily not disagree with you on most of your points!

Scooter1
10-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Well I can't say that I don't necessarily not disagree with you on most of your points!

Well, I can't say that I'm not necessarily not surprised a sentence like this came from.....oh, you were making an attempt at humor.:blush:

bisoneer
10-30-2010, 03:39 AM
DJ has really come into his own... next year - watch out!!!

DjKyRo
10-30-2010, 04:01 AM
DJ has really come into his own... next week - watch out!!!

FYP! :nod: :D