PDA

View Full Version : The Official "It's Almost Hoops Season" Thread

DjKyRo
10-13-2010, 08:25 PM
ARGH! I can't wait. This is going to be a fun season to watch.

HandoEX
10-13-2010, 08:33 PM
That 10 day stretch when we play Minnesota, SDSU, and the Who is going to be awesome! There better be another bus trip to Brookings this year too! That trip was unbeleivable last season!

ndsubison1
10-13-2010, 08:40 PM
That 10 day stretch when we play Minnesota, SDSU, and the Who is going to be awesome! There better be another bus trip to Brookings this year too! That trip was unbeleivable last season!

Yes, this must happen again.

Twentysix
10-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Can't wait!!

lakesbison
10-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Basketball time, at least Saul & co. Can adjust, scout and scheme. Oh, and MOTIVATE his players. Dammit, Lakes party bus gets booked this week.

roadwarrior
10-25-2010, 12:01 AM
It was fun watching the men's team scrimmage on saturday morning! There was a lot of talent out there on the court!

First exhibition game just over a week away.

Herd
10-25-2010, 12:17 AM
A few Questions:

So Road, do you have a guess on who will redshirt? Bjork, Baxter, Wright

Also, Wilson and Hale have to sit per ncaa rules, right?

Based on the team picture, it looks like Braun put on 25 lbs, and Nagel lost 10 . . . can you confirm or deny?

Can Aaberg bring some offense this year?

Does Bjork make it look as easy around the hoop as what I saw last year in high school? No one could stop him.

Going to be a fun year!!!

roadwarrior
10-25-2010, 12:21 AM
A few Questions:

Based on the team picture, it looks like Braun put on 25 lbs, and Nagel lost 10 . . . can you confirm or deny?

Does Bjork make it look as easy around the hoop as what I saw last year in high school? No one could stop him.

Bjorklund wont redshirt. I think Baxter will, and Wright is still unknown.
Hale definitely does, not sure about Wilson
Braun definitely added weight, and Nagel definitely dropped weight.
Bjorklund knows how to finish.

Herd
10-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Bjorklund wont redshirt. I think Baxter will, and Wright is still unknown.
Hale definitely does, not sure about Wilson
Braun definitely added weight, and Nagel definitely dropped weight.
Bjorklund knows how to finish.

Nice assist, thanks!

ndsubison1
10-25-2010, 12:57 AM
A few Questions:

Burgundy addressed all of this on one of the latest threads

Kermit
10-25-2010, 01:18 AM
It was fun watching the men's team scrimmage on saturday morning! There was a lot of talent out there on the court!

First exhibition game just over a week away.

FUN scrimmage! Format was like a regular game. Opposing teams were coached by Saul and Richman. Will Ryan was the referee! Freddie Coleman sat out with an apparently minor "lower body injury." Saul picked his team first and took Lundberg, Braun, Tveidt, Carlson, Bjorklund, and Wright (6th man). Richman had Zastrow, Felt, Baxter, Aaberg, Hale, and Newell. Demar Wilson didn't play due to injury. Several players changed sides for the second half.

Some highlights:

Drew Lundberg continues to be perhaps the most improved player on the team. The biggest difference appears to be his level of confidence. My personal theory is that the mask he was forced to wear last season was a significant factor. Drew is strong, tough, and is showing the ability to penetrate the lane and create. He scored on 3 consecutive possessions at one point in the scrimmage.

Mike Tveidt was the best player on the floor. He played 3, 4, and even a little 2. He scored in many different ways, played good defense, and looked like an all-conference player.

Eric Carlson is relentless. He is constantly looking to attack the rim and he will take advantage of even slight mismatches. He has really improved his finishing. Several times, I saw him just rip the ball away from an opponent.

Marshall Bjorklund started the scrimmage on fire. Nobody is going to hand a starting position to a true freshman, but Marshall is really making a case for himself. Excellent fundamentals. Very good post moves and ability to score around the rim. Very good rebounder.

Jordan Aaberg and Andy Nagel have both improved significantly.

Trayvonn Wright is just too good to redshirt. He combines great length and tremendous athletic ability with surprisingly good ball skills and instincts. He had a patented highlight real alley oop dunk. He will have some ups and downs, but it will be worth it! The biggest question may be whether his body can endure the long season.

I think I saw more entry passes into the low post in this scrimmage that I saw in any Bison game in the last 3 years!

Saul Phillips is one of a kind! I was standing right behind his bench during a time out. Saul was calmly critiquing his group's offensive and defensive performance, then without skipping a beat he looked at Nate Zastrow and said, "Those are really horrible socks!" (Nate did have some bad socks.) Several teammates offered advice about what kind of socks Nate should wear and they all had a quick laugh before the horn sounded and they went right back to work. Priceless.

Can't wait for the first exhibition game. Go Bison!!

DjKyRo
10-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Good stuff Kermit! Thanks for the updates and yes, November 3rd can't come soon enough. I'll be helping cover the game on the 6th, if anyone's interested.

Wally
10-26-2010, 03:02 AM
What's the word on Marcus Williams playing? I know he was possibly going to play hoops along with football.

ndsubison1
10-26-2010, 03:08 AM
What's the word on Marcus Williams playing? I know he was possibly going to play hoops along with football.

He could possibly play in December

ndsubison1
10-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Forum article on Freddy and the team

Coleman and forwards Michael Tveidt and Eric Carlson are sure-bet starters. After that, Phillips said there are several options.

“Wide open and I’ve been trying to mix up the lineup every day in practice,” he said.

Redshirt freshman guard Taylor Braun and true freshmen Marshall Bjorklund and TrayVonn Wright are pushing returning players. Bjorklund, a 6-foot-8 center, will not redshirt.

Wright, Phillips said, is getting a close look to play right away.

“TrayVonn does something in practice every day that just makes you shake your head,” Phillips said.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/296056/

Sounds like TrayVonn is too athletic/good to redshirt :nod:

NDSUFan_Sav
10-26-2010, 09:08 AM
I want to add that Felt's shooting is much improved since last season hopefully he keeps that rhythm going into the season, the kid can flat out shoot from beyond the arc.

clenz
10-27-2010, 08:45 PM
I think UNI and NDSU should try to set someting up.

UNI and UND have set something up becuse our coach played for UND, but he also has ties to NDSU...I believe.

HandoEX
10-27-2010, 08:47 PM

UNI and UND have set something up becuse our coach played for UND, but he also has ties to NDSU...I believe.

Yeah, he was here in 2000-2001 I beleive. I'd love to see this matchup happen!

clenz
10-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah, he was here in 2000-2001 I beleive. I'd love to see this matchup happen!

We were at UND last year, and I think they come here the next two years and that is pretty much all due to Coach Jacboson's connection. We had no real reason to go to ND, as we don't recruit ND, last season other than him.

However, NDSU/UNI is a budding football rivalry and adding a couple basketball games into the mix would be a ton of fun.

Here is a clip from his bio on the athletic site. NDSU has given us the two coaches that have done the most to turn our basketball program into the top 25 team it is. :D

While this is Jacobson's first head coaching job, he had 12 years of prior assistant coaching experience. Before joining former UNI head coach Greg McDermott in Cedar Falls beginning with the 2001-02 campaign, he served one season as an assistant coach under McDermott at Division II North Dakota State. His responsibilities there included serving as recruiting and academic coordinator.

Jacobson has a long history in the North Central Conference, having played at the University of North Dakota from 1989-93. He was a four-year letterman for the Sioux, a two-year starter, and he ended his career as the school's all-time assist leader. UND made two Elite Eight appearances and four regional appearances, along with winning two conference championships, during his career. He was team captain in 1991-92 and 1992-93, was named to the NCC's All-Academic Team in 1993, and was a player representative to UND's letterwinner's association from 1991-93.

In September of 2008, his 1989-90 team from the University of North Dakota - when he was a freshman guard for the Fighting Sioux - was inducted into the UND Athletics Hall of Fame. That squad finished 28-7 overall, including a perfect 16-0 at home, and finished third in the nation.

He was a student assistant coach at North Dakota from 1993-94. From 1994-96, he was a graduate assistant at UND and became a full-time assistant coach for the Sioux from 1996-2000, prior to spending the 2000-01 season at North Dakota State University.

A native of Mayville, N.D., Jacobson graduated from Mayville-Portland High School in 1989 as valedictorian. He received his bachelor's degree in physical education from the University of North Dakota in 1994.

HandoEX
10-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Just please ask the UNI administration to leave our current coaches where they are:D

THE HERD
10-27-2010, 08:56 PM

I agree. I would definitely be at that game, UNI has a great program. I was really pulling for you guys last March.

clenz
10-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Just please ask the UNI administration to leave our current coaches where they are:D

No problem.

You can keep Bohl, in fact we are praying for that one
Jacobson signed a 10 year deal in March
Our women's coach led out women's team to the first every conference title and NCAA appearance
Our wrestling coach is going to get UNI wrestling back where we belong - I'll be at the NDSU meet in CF
Our Volleyball team is ranked in the top 15 in the nation
Our track and field program is one of the best in the nation...indoor
Our softball coaches have us going the right way...but i wouldn't mind stealing your softball coach:D

You make sure you keep your hands off of our coaches:p

SlickVic
10-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Mike Tveidt was the best player on the floor. He played 3, 4, and even a little 2. He scored in many different ways, played good defense, and looked like an all-conference player.

Eric Carlson is relentless. He is constantly looking to attack the rim and he will take advantage of even slight mismatches. He has really improved his finishing. Several times, I saw him just rip the ball away from an opponent.

Marshall Bjorklund started the scrimmage on fire. Nobody is going to hand a starting position to a true freshman, but Marshall is really making a case for himself. Excellent fundamentals. Very good post moves and ability to score around the rim. Very good rebounder.

Jordan Aaberg and Andy Nagel have both improved significantly.

Trayvonn Wright is just too good to redshirt. He combines great length and tremendous athletic ability with surprisingly good ball skills and instincts. He had a patented highlight real alley oop dunk. He will have some ups and downs, but it will be worth it! The biggest question may be whether his body can endure the long season.

I think I saw more entry passes into the low post in this scrimmage that I saw in any Bison game in the last 3 years!

Saul Phillips is one of a kind! I was standing right behind his bench during a time out. Saul was calmly critiquing his group's offensive and defensive performance, then without skipping a beat he looked at Nate Zastrow and said, "Those are really horrible socks!" (Nate did have some bad socks.) Several teammates offered advice about what kind of socks Nate should wear and they all had a quick laugh before the horn sounded and they went right back to work. Priceless.

Can't wait for the first exhibition game. Go Bison!!

I think that tweet should be the best player on the floor everynight at the bsa this season its his senior year he needs to step up and step into the big man on campus role no more blending in get to the block and go to work...I havnt seen any of bjorkland other than the late show and he had a sweet pass it makes the game so much easyer when you put a post who can pass out on the floor who can also score points in the paint...your not going to win to many games at any level if come cluth time you can't throw the ball down to the block with confidence so hopefully this year with marshall and tweet down there running things we won't be such a gong show down the stretch...I'm just jacked for this team this season especially with freddy playing point running the show pick and roll pick and pop 2 man game with him and tweet spread the floor with a shooter like felt get trayvonne andy big nasty nagal and aaburg/bjorkland crashing the boards team should be pretty tough to stop in the summit once saul gets his substatutions set...but the big thing is being able to run the block and hopefully when a mouse is in tweets house he goes straight towards the painted area and starts drawing double teams...defensively this team has all the pieces to be dominant come tourney time...its all about knowing your role and from what I've seen so far this roster should buy into there roles completley I think this team all suprise some people late in the season aka come on baby let's do the twist put your dancing shoes on shirley +++++

roadwarrior
10-27-2010, 09:24 PM
I think that tweet should be the best player on the floor everynight at the bsa this season its his senior year he needs to step up and step into the big man on campus role no more blending in get to the block and go to work...I havnt seen any of bjorkland other than the late show and he had a sweet pass it makes the game so much easyer when you put a post who can pass out on the floor who can also score points in the paint...your not going to win to many games at any level if come cluth time you can't throw the ball down to the block with confidence so hopefully this year with marshall and tweet down there running things we won't be such a gong show down the stretch...I'm just jacked for this team this season especially with freddy playing point running the show pick and roll pick and pop 2 man game with him and tweet spread the floor with a shooter like felt get trayvonne andy big nasty nagal and aaburg/bjorkland crashing the boards team should be pretty tough to stop in the summit once saul gets his substatutions set...but the big thing is being able to run the block and hopefully when a mouse is in tweets house he goes straight towards the painted area and starts drawing double teams...defensively this team has all the pieces to be dominant come tourney time...its all about knowing your role and from what I've seen so far this roster should buy into there roles completley I think this team all suprise some people late in the season aka come on baby let's do the twist put your dancing shoes on shirley +++++

Translation: Getcha popcorn ready!

Tatanka
10-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Translation: Getcha popcorn ready!

Does Google have the slick to English translator working yet, or is this your own work? :)

DjKyRo
10-27-2010, 10:31 PM

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/excitement.gif

SlickVic
10-28-2010, 12:38 AM

thats my girl bison mike knows what im talkin about lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWftGwtw12M

tjbison
10-28-2010, 01:53 AM

Thats just freaky!!!