PDA

View Full Version : recruiting needs

KTF
10-11-2010, 03:40 AM
Now that the season is roughly half over and we have seen the ups and downs of this team, is there really any glaring needs that the coaches could tailor their recruiting efforts for?

Last year was obvious... This year I have to believe it is about adding depth.

If you were coach Bohl, what position would you target?

ndsubison1
10-11-2010, 04:01 AM
Seems like next year we wont need an emphasis on bringing in many jucos. I would say we would get a juco CB and maybe an OL.

All positions obviously need more depth but if I had to pick 3 positions to target I would say:

CB, OG, and P

HerdBot
10-11-2010, 04:01 AM
OLINE, LINEBACKERS, DBS, and 1 Qb so we don't get ourselves into a jam. Probably need another rockstar running back.

Think were loaded at DE and Wide outs.

We need a balance of good players every year. QB, DB, and skilled players are the toughest to find.

EndZoneQB
10-11-2010, 04:04 AM
OLINE, LINEBACKERS, DBS, and 1 Qb so we don't get ourselves into a jam. Probably need another rockstar running back.

Think were loaded at DE and Wide outs.

We need a balance of good players every year. QB, DB, and skilled players are the toughest to find.

Pretty certain we already have that for this years class :)

HerdBot
10-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Seems like next year we wont need an emphasis on bringing in many jucos. I would say we would get a juco CB and maybe an OL. All positions obviously need more depth but if I had to pick 3 positions to target I would say:

CB, OG, and P

Teams with too many Jucos usually suffer. 3-4 year players are the foundation of a good team. They are ready physically and mentally. Jucos are ready physically but not mentally. Loom at our dominating teams. Mays, Humber, Dahl, Heckendorf, Roehl, Jangula, Walker, Schoemer, Buckman, Frick, Wurzbacher, and Lardinois all played 4 or 5 years. ALL had legit NFL aspirations. Not to mention all the good players who didn't get NFL looks but contributed in big ways. Guys like Safe, Compton, Septak, Ebel,and our tradition of great o lineman.

Who are the rock stars on this team? DJ, Boyer, Gratzek, Holloway, Richard, Evans, Anderson, Arndt, and Vandal. All are 3-4 year players. Forgot about Lemon too. Eaves has had some great moments too.

What I like about this team is we have youth so we should be good for years. Sigers, Marcus Williams, Howard, Jemison, Jirek, Perry, Lund, Turner, Hagen, Pierre, and Ryan Smith are young, playing well, and gaining experience. Not to mention our 2 young QBs. That's like 10 players.

What have Jucos done for us lately? Last year Gatlin didn't do much but he's poised to have 1 good year. Willson has been good. Mack hasnt done much. Has Boen Anderson played much? Dante Perez is 3rd string.
Retention is huge.

ndsubison1
10-11-2010, 05:15 AM
Teams with too many Jucos usually suffer. 3-4 year players are the foundation of a good team. They are ready physically and mentally. Jucos are ready physically but not mentally. Loom at our dominating teams. Mays, Humber, Dahl, Heckendorf, Roehl, Jangula, Walker, Schoemer, Buckman, Frick, Wurzbacher, and Lardinois all played 4 or 5 years. ALL had legit NFL aspirations. Not to mention all the good players who didn't get NFL looks but contributed in big ways. Guys like Safe, Compton, Septak, Ebel,and our tradition of great o lineman.

Who are the rock stars on this team? DJ, Boyer, Gratzek, Holloway, Richard, Evans, Anderson, Arndt, and Vandal. All are 3-4 year players. Forgot about Lemon too. Eaves has had some great moments too.

What I like about this team is we have youth so we should be good for years. Sigers, Marcus Williams, Howard, Jemison, Jirek, Perry, Lund, Turner, Hagen, Pierre, and Ryan Smith are young, playing well, and gaining experience. Not to mention our 2 young QBs. That's like 10 players.

What have Jucos done for us lately? Last year Gatlin didn't do much but he's poised to have 1 good year. Willson has been good. Mack hasnt done much. Has Boen Anderson played much? Dante Perez is 3rd string.
Retention is huge.

:confused:

What? I said we only need to bring in a juco for cb and maybe an OL, I wasn't talking about every position. lol. All I meant was one for CB and OL. Then after that the positions we need to target on are CB, OG, and P. I didnt mean bring in a juco for those 3. I guess I should have seperated both thoughts. That being said, I do think we need to bring in at least 1-2 every year. We wil be young again at CB next year and will likely have to bring one in at that position.

DjKyRo
10-11-2010, 05:22 AM
We have a good QB-HB combo coming in in those two kids from AZ, and you can't write a script like the one those two come in with. I say we go after one or two good WRs and build up our O-line and defensive backfield a bit - LBs are stacked for a few years, as is the D-line if some of the younger guys pan out. RB looks stacked for the foreseeable future if Ojuri and Crockett work out.

BisonNolesFan77
10-11-2010, 05:40 AM
If we are going to bring in JUCO's, they have to come in for the spring semester. Being able to have a nearly full offseason with the team, plus spring ball is huge. Look at the JUCO's who were mentioned, who is the only one to come in Spring semester, probably the one making the biggest impact, Chad Willson.

As for what we need this cycle, a QB is a must, and I think this staff has learned that you have to take a QB each cycle. OL for sure, we are thin on the inside. You can never have too much depth at LB, a deep LB core also pays off huge in special teams, make up a large part of kick coverage. I don't think we go nuts on LB's like we did last season with Olson, Carter, Emmanuel, etc. though.

I still have questions about our WR's, Powell-Calhoun and Wahlo are young, but I was expecting them at least to see the field a bit this season.

Safety is another area that has me a bit concerned, and the place where I could see a JUCO coming in and making a big difference. Eaves, Pike, and Ollman are the upperclassmen we will have next season, Gion will be coming off injury, and Van Voorhis and Blackmore I cant comment on. I do think Dudzik and Heagle will be studs though. Is Ollman seeing the field much this season on anything but ST? With him getting his redshirt yanked last season, I was expecting to see him out there more.

And lastly, I think CB has to be a huge priority in recruiting, and another place a JUCO could make a huge impact.

BisonNolesFan77
10-11-2010, 05:47 AM
I should add, I think we see a FB brought in this cycle, or Lang moves to FB which right now I can't say I am in favor of. 4 FB's on roster and 2 are seniors. I also think we see a TE in the class.

HerdBot
10-11-2010, 06:01 AM
:confused:

What? I said we only need to bring in a juco for cb and maybe an OL, I wasn't talking about every position. lol. All I meant was one for CB and OL. Then after that the positions we need to target on are CB, OG, and P. I didnt mean bring in a juco for those 3. I guess I should have seperated both thoughts. That being said, I do think we need to bring in at least 1-2 every year. We wil be young again at CB next year and will likely have to bring one in at that position.

I was trying to further your point. We only need a fee Jucos

Herd
10-11-2010, 06:37 AM
Will Crocket be here next year? That's the big question at RB. He's a good one if he's here.

ndsubison1
10-11-2010, 07:06 AM
cannot overlook punter

as for crockett i think he's grayshirting or whatever you want to call it. same thing as marcus williams

KTF
10-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Wow great comments!! Not much more I can add to the thoughts that have been presented. A few questions though:

Is Ojuri coming back?
Does the red shirt kicker punt?
Who is #5&6 at LB that will possibly take Matt Andersons place? (Olson??)
Do the coaches move Turner to the left tackle spot to fill Arndt's position with a seasoned veteran or put an inexperienced player there?
Has anybody heard Wes Hudsons name called at CB? (I haven't)
Looking at the OL per the roster, we have the numbers waiting in the wings but are they all not ready to go?

DjKyRo
10-11-2010, 01:35 PM
From what I know, answers to two of your questions (their accuracy is another matter ;)):

Is Ojuri coming back? - He is still enrolled at NDSU and has reportedly watched practices - one must assume he wants to come back, and I hope he does.

Who is #5&6 at LB that will possibly take Matt Andersons place? (Olson??) - Olson, Don Carter and Kyle Emmanuel are the names I've been hearing.

HandoEX
10-11-2010, 01:56 PM
From what I know, answers to two of your questions (their accuracy is another matter ;)):

Is Ojuri coming back? - He is still enrolled at NDSU and has reportedly watched practices - one must assume he wants to come back, and I hope he does.

Who is #5&6 at LB that will possibly take Matt Andersons place? (Olson??) - Olson, Don Carter and Kyle Emmanuel are the names I've been hearing.

Emmanuel is now a DE.

DjKyRo
10-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Emmanuel is now a DE.

Like I said, the accuracy was up for debate. :D

lakesbison
10-11-2010, 02:17 PM
OLSON will be a starter the next 3 years.

RB is solid. QB is solid. WR is solid (with Vraa, Gebhardt on sideline)

Id say DL #1, OL #2, DB #3 in that order.

Kermit
10-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Cornerback is a HUGE need. Of 5 CBs on the current roster (Banks, D. Colvin, Gatlin, Pierre, and M. Williams) three are seniors (Banks, Colvin, and Gatlin). That means we will have no more than TWO returning CBs in spring ball: Pierre (coming off a broken wrist) ans Williams (possibly coming off of basketball season).

Wesley Hudson started fall camp as a CB, but he was moved to RB (is he even practicing now?). Zach Colvin was recruited as a CB, but his is apparently an academic non-qualifier. I have heard that he is still expected to be on the team next fall. Dudzik was recruited as a safety, but he has played some CB on the scout team.

I think we will need at least one juco CB who can play right away.

Punter is another big need. Voigtlander is the backup. Keller punted some in high school, but his stats weren't very good.

HandoEX
10-11-2010, 02:28 PM
We need CBs more than anything. We graduate Colvin, Banks, and Gatlin. That leaves the cupboard pretty bare for experience outside of Williams and Pierre.

I'd rank our needs in this order...

CB
LB (we always need 2 stud LBs in every class)
OL (depth needed)
TE (didn't get one last year)
P (none on the roster for next year)
FB (didn't get one last year)

Kermit
10-11-2010, 02:38 PM
We need CBs more than anything. We graduate Colvin, Banks, and Gatlin. That leaves the cupboard pretty bare for experience outside of Williams and Pierre.

I'd rank our needs in this order...

CB
LB (we always need 2 stud LBs in every class)
OL (depth needed)
TE (didn't get one last year)
P (none on the roster for next year)
FB (didn't get one last year)

Yes. I agree we can always use stud linebackers. We need to improve in that position group and linebacker types are valuable on special teams. There is some young talent there, but more is needed.

TE is definitely a need. Smith graduates, Veldman will be a senior. Bruhnn had to be fill in from FB to fill a void. Nelson has not yet seen the field and Vaadeland has been injured since he came to campus. We need a stud TE who can block and reliably catch the ball in traffic.

I think the OL group is pretty good, but you need to recruit about 3 every year and none have committed yet this year.

DL is in pretty good shape with a lot of young talent and two commitments already.

Gully
10-11-2010, 02:53 PM
CB and OL should be recruited extra hard with possibly going Juco for at least one CB.

Beyond that recruit all positions evenly. We need to get out of this cycle where one year we don't have a QB, the next year we don't have LB, etc.

HerdBot
10-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Cornerback is a HUGE need. Of 5 CBs on the current roster (Banks, D. Colvin, Gatlin, Pierre, and M. Williams) three are seniors (Banks, Colvin, and Gatlin). That means we will have no more than TWO returning CBs in spring ball: Pierre (coming off a broken wrist) ans Williams (possibly coming off of basketball season).

Wesley Hudson started fall camp as a CB, but he was moved to RB (is he even practicing now?). Zach Colvin was recruited as a CB, but his is apparently an academic non-qualifier. I have heard that he is still expected to be on the team next fall. Dudzik was recruited as a safety, but he has played some CB on the scout team.

Punter is another big need. Voigtlander is the backup. Keller punted some in high school, but his stats weren't very good.

Great point on corners. I hope they are looking for JUCO corners who play in the cover 2 defense now. Let's get them scouted early and in school for the summer so they can get started learning the defense. Need to start thinking about next year. Maybe we can find the next john richardson.

HerdBot
10-11-2010, 03:27 PM

What about John Pike? Is he a corner or safety?

HandoEX
10-11-2010, 03:34 PM
What about John Pike? Is he a corner or safety?

Pike is a free safety

Thunder_Struck
10-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I go with:
1st - OL
2nd - CB
3rd - LB - maybe a few undersized guys with speed that would be good against the spread.

I think we are strong at FB - Bruhn, and then Grothman who is playing alot and doing well, but we could take one more as well.

HandoEX
10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I go with:
1st - OL
2nd - CB
3rd - LB - maybe a few undersized guys with speed that would be good against the spread.

I think we are strong at FB - Bruhn, and then Grothman who is playing alot and doing well, but we could take one more as well.

I hate seeing us skip two classes in a row at any position. If we don't get a fullback this class, that's exactly where we'd be.

BisonNolesFan77
10-11-2010, 11:44 PM
There absolutly needs to be a TE and a FB in this class. FB's take a beating, ask Jangula and Vandal, going into next season with two on the roster doesn't leave any wiggle room. TE, I think we see more of Bruhn there for his blocking abilities next season, not Veldmans strongest skill. Need to recruit a TE who is not just a pass catcher.

BisonNolesFan77
10-11-2010, 11:49 PM

I really hope Dudzik stays at Safety, he looks like a great athlete and I want this Defense to have that great athlete/elite safety it's been missing for a few years now. Opens up so many things you can do with the defense when you don't have to protect your Safties.

Bisonwinagn
10-11-2010, 11:50 PM
OLSON will be a starter the next 3 years.

RB is solid. QB is solid. WR is solid (with Vraa, Gebhardt on sideline)

Id say DL #1, OL #2, DB #3 in that order.

I agree with this order. DL is not nearly good enough against the run! I would also add Kicker at 1.5. I don't think coaches spend enough time recruiting kickers who many times decide a game.

EndZoneQB
10-11-2010, 11:52 PM
I really hope Dudzik stays at Safety, he looks like a great athlete and I want this Defense to have that great athlete/elite safety it's been missing for a few years now. Opens up so many things you can do with the defense when you don't have to protect your Safties.

I personally think you gain way more having elite corners. You can leave them on an island and do a lot more elsewhere...but obviously in Tampa2, elite safeties are important.

HandoEX
10-11-2010, 11:56 PM
I agree with this order. DL is not nearly good enough against the run! I would also add Kicker at 1.5. I don't think coaches spend enough time recruiting kickers who many times decide a game.

Do we need 3 kickers next year? I don't think so, we can wait another year. We already will have Jastram (senior) and Keller (rF) next year.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
10-12-2010, 12:30 AM
A big, tall wide receiver would be nice! an Offensive line, CB, P.

met1990
10-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Bohl needs to focus on bringing in a largely immobile yet extremely tall (at least 7'7") player exclusively for blocking field goals and PATs. If said tall person can do a decent Dikembe Mutombo finger wag after stuffing a PAT or fg, I'd even consider yanking the red shirt. Sure, it might be swapping his best "stand there and hold up your arms" season for his worst, but Bohl needs wins NOW.

Everyone may have opinions on recruiting needs, but I am right.

bisonfan11
10-12-2010, 01:01 AM
I'd say it seems like we have already addressed recruiting a QB and a RB. I think we need to to look strongly at: O-Linemen, D-Linemen, Linebackers, a few Wide Receivers (more possession type receivers), and Tight End or too.

bisonfan11
10-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Bohl needs to focus on bringing in a largely immobile yet extremely tall (at least 7'7") player exclusively for blocking field goals and PATs. If said tall person can do a decent Dikembe Mutombo finger wag after stuffing a PAT or fg, I'd even consider yanking the red shirt. Sure, it might be swapping his best "stand there and hold up your arms" season for his worst, but Bohl needs wins NOW.

Everyone may have opinions on recruiting needs, but I am right.

Right on, then we have everything solved then. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

tjbison
10-12-2010, 01:22 AM
O-coordinator :hide:

soupcan
10-12-2010, 04:09 AM
Move Brian Ward to O cordinator. Chad Wilson has saved the lb's this year, get another juco like him for depth. pick up a juco d lineman thats all jacked up on roids. get a juco cb for depth. we are stacked at rb, take a break there and load the cupboard back up on the o line and db's and let them learn how to play d1 football.

ndsubison1
10-12-2010, 04:15 AM
I was trying to further your point. We only need a fee Jucos

my bad :hide: lol

BisonNolesFan77
10-12-2010, 04:53 AM
I personally think you gain way more having elite corners. You can leave them on an island and do a lot more elsewhere...but obviously in Tampa2, elite safeties are important.

You can't go wrong with elite corners or safeties, I think we have one very good CB who has the potential to be elite in M. Williams, but our safety play has been non-existent since we lost Dahl and Schommer. I think the coaching staff needs to go after all DB's hard this cycle...and if you are recruting a guy who you know will be a CB, bring a depth chart and make sure it is very clear there is a chance to play soon.

EndZoneQB
10-12-2010, 04:58 AM
You can't go wrong with elite corners or safeties, I think we have one very good CB who has the potential to be elite in M. Williams, but our safety play has been non-existent since we lost Dahl and Schommer. I think the coaching staff needs to go after all DB's hard this cycle...and if you are recruting a guy who you know will be a CB, bring a depth chart and make sure it is very clear there is a chance to play soon.

I'm of the philosophy that defenses are built with great D-backfields...and you're right, Williams will be an elite corner.

ndsubison1
10-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Hopefully we can bring Michael Allen in from prep school

Kermit
10-12-2010, 01:47 PM
...but our safety play has been non-existent since we lost Dahl and Schommer...

I would have agreed with this statement LAST year, but I think the safety play has improved this season. Daniel Eaves has been quite noticeable in a good way.

runtheoption
10-12-2010, 08:38 PM
To summarize all my esteemed Bisonville peers who have posted before me in this thread:

We need to recruit every position. Bring in a JUCO or 2. It would be nice to have some crazy speed. LB'ers contribute heavily to special teams early in their careers. A really, really, really tall person to block kicks and trash talk would be useful.

CAS4127
10-12-2010, 08:42 PM
To summarize all my esteemed Bisonville peers who have posted before me in this thread:

We need to recruit every position. Bring in a JUCO or 2. It would be nice to have some crazy speed. LB'ers contribute heavily to special teams early in their careers. A really, really, really tall person to block kicks and trash talk would be useful.

Yabut everyone forgot the tailgaiting beer sponser/supplier recruitee!! I'm losing faith in BV!!:D

TransAmBison
10-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Yabut everyone forgot the tailgaiting beer sponser/supplier recruitee!! I'm losing faith in BV!!:D
You are the new guy around here...you are the beer sponsor/supplier. :D

CAS4127
10-12-2010, 09:45 PM
You are the new guy around here...you are the beer sponsor/supplier. :D

Warning--:offtopic: I don't (normally) drink beer--unless it is out of a boot and being forced upon me like some hazing incident(chanting included)!:hide: Cripe, the wife asked me if I thought I was back in college when she saw me do that (I was sorta thinkin the same thing as I was doing it btw.).

This thread has now been officially hijacked--sorry guys!

BisonNolesFan77
10-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I would have agreed with this statement LAST year, but I think the safety play has improved this season. Daniel Eaves has been quite noticeable in a good way.

It has improved yes, and Eaves has had a very solid season thus far, but the safety play couldn't get any worse than it was last year.

met1990
10-14-2010, 03:22 AM

After watching the Bison/YSU replay on KTHI 11.2, I have three comments.

No. 1: NDSU desperately needs a 7'7" PAT and field goal blocking specialist.

No. 2: It looked like Chad Willson broke his thumb with more than 11 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

No. 3: If Coulter Boyer would have scored on the fumble return to clinch the game, I assume he would have spiked it or thrown it into the YSU fans.

tony
10-14-2010, 03:54 AM
The paper said Willson broke his thumb in the first quarter... :eek:

met1990
10-14-2010, 03:58 AM
The paper said Willson broke his thumb in the first quarter... :eek:

Yikes! That may be true. I just saw him getting tended to by trainers on the field with about 11:20 left in the fourth quarter. He looks like a good juco pickup!

EndZoneQB
10-14-2010, 04:42 AM
Yikes! That may be true. I just saw him getting tended to by trainers on the field with about 11:20 left in the fourth quarter. He looks like a good juco pickup!

He seems like an old fashioned football player. Flies around to the ball, always in on plays...very consistent. Definitely solidified the linebacking corps....Anderson has looked better than I thought he would this year as well.