PDA

View Full Version : YSU Win Recap...

NDSUstudent
10-10-2010, 12:07 AM
The good.... We won and got a very gritty performance from Jose Mohler. That was a clutch play we haven't seen from the QB spot for a while. Can't say enough about his play after being thrust into the game.

The bad... Injuries everywhere, ISU Red may not play defense but they can score. We'll need a few guys to heal up or step up in a hurry.

The ugly.... Defense, I know we were hurt but we won't win a lot giving up 500 yards and 250 on the ground. Gotta clean it up.

Bottom line: We got our first conference win and now move to 4-2. With three of our final five games at home, we control our own destiny when it comes to making something of this season. Time to trust Jose to get it done and put ourselves right back into the thick of the MVFC race with a W next week.

Civil06
10-10-2010, 12:09 AM
The ugly.... Defense, I know we were hurt but we won't win a lot giving up 500 yards and 250 on the ground. Gotta clean it up.

I agree. I give their running backs credit for running awfully hard.

A1pigskin
10-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Jose pulled us through. He stepped up and made a sweet pass to sew up the game.

BisonNolesFan77
10-10-2010, 12:15 AM
The good.... We won and got a very gritty performance from Jose Mohler. That was a clutch play we haven't seen from the QB spot for a while. Can't say enough about his play after being thrust into the game.

The bad... Injuries everywhere, ISU Red may not play defense but they can score. We'll need a few guys to heal up or step up in a hurry.

Bottom line: We got our first conference win and now move to 4-2. With three of our final five games at home, we control our own destiny when it comes to making something of this season. Time to trust Jose to get it done and put ourselves right back into the thick of the MVFC race with a W next week.

Good call. I would give our stable of horses, DJ, Voight, Sigers, and Lang a ton of credit, they ran hard all night. Jose played very well. Big conference road win.

An ugly that we need to clean up is our kicking game, can't miss a chip shot and give they great field position by kick offs going out of bounds. But they overcame them tonight and had a great win!

DjKyRo
10-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Clutch clutchity clutch-clutch. Justin Howard stepped up and broke out of that tackle like a champ.

Play-calling down in the red zone on the last drive was awfully questionable, they're stuffing the run and the right side of the field is wide open - why not try a rollout that way to Grothmann or Veldman/Smith? On the flipside, Mohler's first TD pass to DJ out of the backfield was slick.

DJ established himself as a dual-threat back solidly, 130 yards receiving and another 92 rushing for 222 total yards. Really like how he's developing.

Sigers had some shotgun-blast runs, love that we're utilizing his speed more and it's paying dividends. Voigt finally broke a few too.

The bend-but-don't-break defense did its job today. Gotta tighten up on the run D but the two fumbles were heads-up plays and it's plays like those that are going to save us in this kind of game.

Offense looking more and more polished as the season goes on, can't wait to see the team back in the Fargodome in two weeks.

BisoninNWMN
10-10-2010, 12:19 AM
It would still be nice to have a kicker that can make easy FGs.......28 yds????

That has been an Achilles heal for years now.....

bisonpride4ever
10-10-2010, 12:23 AM
i posted this in the GDT, but probably should've posted it here instead:

this is what I take from this game. the BISON came into a hostile environment. when listening to the game on the radio, the crowd sounded loud. the BISON were missing their top defensive lineman and probably one of their best players. jenson gets knocked out of the game and the rest of the season. we got down 10-0 early, we battled back and battled back. we lost key guys during the game to injury, we kept battling. we missed a chip shot field goal and YSU drove down and took the lead. we kept battling back and look what happened. if this game isn't a definition of dealing with adversity, then i don't know what is. i'm super-duper proud of the BISON and they way they still managed to get it done despite everything. it was great hearing on the radio at the end the BISON faithful that were there screaming LET'S GO BISON! The fact that they can still do this is reason enough to never EVER give up on this team!

IzzyFlexion
10-10-2010, 12:23 AM
It would still be nice to have a kicker that can make easy FGs.......28 yds????

That has been an Achilles heal for years now.....

On the plus side, he did drive that last kickoff to the YSU 2 yard line resulting in relatively poor field position.

BisoninNWMN
10-10-2010, 12:25 AM
On the plus side, he did drive that last kickoff to the YSU 2 yard line resulting in relatively poor field position.

True......but still, he needs to make those. Maybe I am nit-picking.....but, kickers need to make those.

semobison
10-10-2010, 12:59 AM
It was a Big win. We did a lot of very good things in this game. I thought we got conservative with the lead. In this league you cant sit on a lead. I think we had a good chance to put this one away earlier, and it almost got away from us...Kickoffs cant go out of bounds, YSU took it 60 yards for Td's on both occasions....We can play better D, giving up 500 yards usually means an L at the end of the day...Improvement in these areas and there is no reason we cant run the table!

Tatanka
10-10-2010, 01:00 AM
What a colossal fail by YSU throwing the ball on the 2nd down at the end of the game. could have burned the clock down to nothing. Didn't.

YSU announcers called it too...

Good win Bison! Hope for some miracle healing this week.

56BISON73
10-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Way too many opportunities in the red zone that werent capitalized on.
If you look at the majority of yards on the ground that were gained were off the tackles. Not in between them. WHY we keep trying to run power FB in the Red zone is beyond me. Our running backs have speed and we need to use that to our advantage. Get them out there in space.

Gully
10-10-2010, 01:07 AM
What a colossal fail by YSU throwing the ball on the 2nd down at the end of the game. could have burned the clock down to nothing. Didn't.

Yes, and they first guessed him on it. I was pretty frustrated during the game but I guess a win is a win.

I thought the play calling was pretty good except when they went conservative late third/early fourth quarter. That's when they started stopping us. Need to play to win!

I know a lot of players hobbled off.....any updates?

aces1180
10-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Let's not forgot that we lucked out on that fumble at the goal line...But being lucky is part of football.

I loved the passion and the way our team played today.

Let's hope the injuries are minor and we can come back next week with another W.

gotts
10-10-2010, 01:40 AM
I really liked the Coulter Boyer stiff-arm on the fumble return at the end of the game! Nice to see the skill players on the receiving end of those for once!

56BISON73
10-10-2010, 01:41 AM
I really liked the Coulter Boyer stiff-arm on the fumble return at the end of the game! Nice to see the skill players on the receiving end of those for once!

Give the ball to a lineman and he knows what to do with it. :D

aces1180
10-10-2010, 01:42 AM
Give the ball to a lineman and he knows what to do with it. :D

Did you ever hit paydirt, PL?

4mcruenomore
10-10-2010, 01:43 AM
I just have a couple of thoughts:

I'm disappointed in the kicker, he has had a great year up to this, maybe just a bad game? He'll pull out of it I hope.

Props to DJ and the rest of the backs, wow, hell of a game

Props to Mohler, coming in cold, he did a great job

Defense, they need to regroup, but we still won, we needed this win so bad. It feels good to win again against a good team.

Tatanka
10-10-2010, 01:46 AM

Just to clarify, he means ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD.

aces1180
10-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Just to clarify, he means ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD.

Head=gutter...Haha

CarringtonBison
10-10-2010, 01:48 AM
I just have a couple of thoughts:

I'm disappointed in the kicker, he has had a great year up to this, maybe just a bad game? He'll pull out of it I hope.

Props to DJ and the rest of the backs, wow, hell of a game

Props to Mohler, coming in cold, he did a great job

Defense, they need to regroup, but we still won, we needed this win so bad. It feels good to win again against a good team.

this ^^^^^^^^^^

56BISON73
10-10-2010, 01:53 AM

No. Never did.

I did have an opportunity in semi pro ball. Went down on punt coverage and the ball got stripped from the return man. It bounced right in front of me. So I dove on the ball to recover it. Which I did. But just coming out of college ball I forgot that I could get up and run with it. By the time I realzed it I had guys all over me. I had nothing but green in front of me.
Then on our next punt the same thing happened. This time it bounced right in my hands. I recovered it again and after 10 yards I got tackled. My chance at immortality was no more. But I have to admit that goal line looked sweet.:D

aces1180
10-10-2010, 01:55 AM
No. Never did.

I did have an opportunity in semi pro ball. Went down on punt coverage and the ball got stripped from the return man. It bounced right in front of me. So I dove on the ball to recover it. Which I did. But just coming out of college ball I forgot that I could get up and run with it. By the time I realzed it I had guys all over me. I had nothing but green in front of me.
Then on our next punt the same thing happened. This time it bounced right in my hands. I recovered it again and after 10 yards I got tackled. My chance at immortality was no more. But I have to admit that goal line looked sweet.:D

In my short football career, I scored a TD on a QB keeper to the right side(we ran the wishbone and I was the backup, so not too many opportunites)...Next play, I threw a pass for a 2-point conversion...Later on that year, I caught a 2-pointer, as I was a starting TE normally...Glory days, haha.

CaBisonFan
10-10-2010, 02:02 AM

this is what I take from this game. the BISON came into a hostile environment. when listening to the game on the radio, the crowd sounded loud. the BISON were missing their top defensive lineman and probably one of their best players. jenson gets knocked out of the game and the rest of the season. we got down 10-0 early, we battled back and battled back. we lost key guys during the game to injury, we kept battling. we missed a chip shot field goal and YSU drove down and took the lead. we kept battling back and look what happened. if this game isn't a definition of dealing with adversity, then i don't know what is. i'm super-duper proud of the BISON and they way they still managed to get it done despite everything. it was great hearing on the radio at the end the BISON faithful that were there screaming LET'S GO BISON! The fact that they can still do this is reason enough to never EVER give up on this team!

You just described the tradition of Bison football. That is all I ask. Thanks

Bison bison
10-10-2010, 02:09 AM

this.

their coach is a f#cking idiot.

56BISON73
10-10-2010, 02:15 AM
In my short football career, I scored a TD on a QB keeper to the right side(we ran the wishbone and I was the backup, so not too many opportunites)...Next play, I threw a pass for a 2-point conversion...Later on that year, I caught a 2-pointer, as I was a starting TE normally...Glory days, haha.

Hey I just remembered that I kicked extra points in HS. Does that count?
I always liked the way they listed them in the paper---

PAT: Long

aces1180
10-10-2010, 02:17 AM

Damn right it counts!

aces1180
10-10-2010, 02:18 AM

Damn right it counts!

Toe-punch? My job was kicking off and that's how I did it..We always went for two, however.

Tatanka

Wait, they had newspapers back then??? Wow. Cool.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN

^^^^^^^This!!!!!!!

NDSU1980
10-10-2010, 02:19 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

56BISON73
10-10-2010, 02:26 AM
Damn right it counts!

Toe-punch? My job was kicking off and that's how I did it..We always went for two, however.
Yes without the square toe.

56BISON73
10-10-2010, 02:34 AM
Wait, they had newspapers back then??? Wow. Cool.

Yeah it was really cool. But they only printed one copy which they nailed to the tree down by the Saloon and Barber shop. There were only two people in town who could read. So they took turns reading it to who ever wanted to know what happened.:D

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-10-2010, 02:39 AM
It was a Big win. We did a lot of very good things in this game. I thought we got conservative with the lead. In this league you cant sit on a lead. I think we had a good chance to put this one away earlier, and it almost got away from us...Kickoffs cant go out of bounds, YSU took it 60 yards for Td's on both occasions....We can play better D, giving up 500 yards usually means an L at the end of the day...Improvement in these areas and there is no reason we cant run the table!

Did anyone else notice, every time their RB started inside and then bounced outside for a big gain, our DE/LB's were being held. I know this sounds very homerish, but watch the game again and you'll see for yourself. It was driving me crazy the whole second half.

Holding has become common-place in the modern football era at both the college and pro levels and it is very frustrating. Almost everytime a RB breaks one open for a big gain, some OLineman is gulty of holding. I swear that holding could be called on every play, but the refs don't even bother to call it anymore. Its almost like traveling in the NBA, its a no call.

Tatanka
10-10-2010, 02:48 AM
^^^^ This. But it's not worth complaining about. it's universal.

A1pigskin
10-10-2010, 12:23 PM
this.

their coach is a f#cking idiot.

I was wondering why the coach wasn't trying to run the clock down.

NorthernBison
10-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Did anyone else notice, every time their RB started inside and then bounced outside for a big gain, our DE/LB's were being held. I know this sounds very homerish, but watch the game again and you'll see for yourself. It was driving me crazy the whole second half.

Holding has become common-place in the modern football era at both the college and pro levels and it is very frustrating. Almost everytime a RB breaks one open for a big gain, some OLineman is gulty of holding. I swear that holding could be called on every play, but the refs don't even bother to call it anymore. Its almost like traveling in the NBA, its a no call.

That's true but the DE has a job of setting the edge. No way should he be inside all the time like that. This didn't happen once or twice. The RB was hanging out in the backfield, nobody had laid a finger on him, and then he sprinted around the end.

I apologize if this has been discussed but I am frustrated that we cannot seem to run the ball in short yardage situations. We have a 300 pound average on the OL. We run power often with three backs in the backfield. This is FCS football, not the NFL.

If we have anybody in the backfield that can run over a tackler, I haven't seen it yet.

When it is first and goal from the 4, there is no excuse for dancing in the backfield and losing 4 yards. The only cut that should be made is at or after the LOS. That happened on the possession that ended with the missed FG.

There was also another situation in the fourth quarter where we faced third and short (like 1 yard). Instead of a power run, we went play-action and rolled out Jose and ended up losing big yardage on a sack. Really? We don't think we can line up and get a yard.

rutlandbison
10-10-2010, 02:10 PM
After watching the game I am convinced Sigers needs more touches.

NDSUstudent
10-10-2010, 02:14 PM
And I'm convinced that Lang and Voigt should carry the ball in short yardage situations every time.

Tatanka
10-10-2010, 02:17 PM
That's true but the DE has a job of setting the edge. No way should he be inside all the time like that. This didn't happen once or twice. The RB was hanging out in the backfield, nobody had laid a finger on him, and then he sprinted around the end.

I apologize if this has been discussed but I am frustrated that we cannot seem to run the ball in short yardage situations. We have a 300 pound average on the OL. We run power often with three backs in the backfield. This is FCS football, not the NFL.

If we have anybody in the backfield that can run over a tackler, I haven't seen it yet.

When it is first and goal from the 4, there is no excuse for dancing in the backfield and losing 4 yards. The only cut that should be made is at or after the LOS. That happened on the possession that ended with the missed FG.

There was also another situation in the fourth quarter where we faced third and short (like 1 yard). Instead of a power run, we went play-action and rolled out Jose and ended up losing big yardage on a sack. Really? We don't think we can line up and get a yard.

Lang looks like a good solution to the issue you describe. IIRC he pounded one up the middle in teh first half for a critical first down. It was a thing of beauty.

bisoneer
10-10-2010, 03:00 PM
True......but still, he needs to make those. Maybe I am nit-picking.....but, kickers need to make those.

The pressure obviously got to him, overall the kicking has been a bit better than last year, at least he hasnt blooped an xp under the cross bar...

BisonNeil
10-10-2010, 03:43 PM

The other bad: too many penalties. How many holding calls cost big yards (Sigers had one great run called back) or first downs?

onbison09
10-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Don't know if this on here already but Bohl talked about the injuries:
Brock: Year
Pierre: Year, wrist
Anderson: Stingers
Vandal: Preliminary is strained MCL 2-4 weeks
Gratzek: 2-4 weeks with a knee

NDSUstudent
10-10-2010, 03:54 PM
There are two more who sat out the YSU game....

Hushka....Concussion should be be back next week
Colvin....Concussion should be be back next week

NDSUstudent
10-10-2010, 03:56 PM
The other bad: too many penalties. How many holding calls cost big yards (Sigers had one great run called back) or first downs?

I don't know, we had some untimely penalties(Richard tackled the DE on that Sigers run and their DE probably wasn't go to make a play) but 5 penalties for 43 yards isn't exactly a ton. The other two huge penalties were obviously on kickoffs.

99Bison
10-10-2010, 04:06 PM
- Great job finding a way to win instead of a way to lose finally.

- Running game was good, nice to see variety of backs running well and of course the blocking all the way down field.

- Would love to see DJ discover how to use his newfound straight ahead speed integrated with his running style more, he could be very very good.

- Loved to see Howard get in there finally, mark this down, if we ever actually establish a passing game, he will be key.

- Offensive play calling got reallllly conservative when ahead. We got two turnovers ahead by 8, had all momentum and got zero points and very few yards out of them. Oppotunity to take control of the game given away.

- For future games, either the offensive game plan with Mohler needs to include passing opportunities more than 5 yards down field or Mohler needs to figure out how to look down field. A defense prepared to see Mohler and our 0 yard passes to the RB will shut down that sleeping.

- Defense gave up a lot, did create some turnovers though, which were critical.

- Injuries getting to be a big concern and are mounting up on key guys Vandal (3 weeks), Gratzek (1-3 more weeks), Pierre (year), Jensen (year), Anderson (stingers), Veldmen (lingering), Heagel (SP teams, year), 2 concussions last week, several others missed several plays last couple games and so on.

- Still my least favorite play for the last 6 years is short yardage - line up with 1 WR and everyone else jammed in as close together as possible... This means the 10 other guys better execute perfectly in order to gain 1/2 - 2 yards.

- All in all fairly ugly game for both teams, but also plays were being made so some nice potential.

BraxtonT
10-10-2010, 05:24 PM
And I'm convinced that Lang and Voigt should carry the ball in short yardage situations every time.

I agree 100% with this! I am a big Voigt fan, but I'd lean towards letting Lang do this job.

Jay
10-10-2010, 05:29 PM
- Would love to see DJ discover how to use his newfound straight ahead speed integrated with his running style more, he could be very very good

I think he already is great. Breakout year. Never thought he was as fast as he actually is... holy cow!

BraxtonT
10-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I thought the play calling was pretty good except when they went conservative late third/early fourth quarter. That's when they started stopping us. Need to play to win!

Agree with this.

The other thing I noticed was that DJ was the only one getting touches during this period of the game. The way the other three backs were being mixed in while scoring those TDs was working great. I would like to see the others get a few more touches.

DJ's doing very well, but recent history (Babich and Bohl era) has shown that the truly successful years have had a quality #2 back to spell the starter. Roehl had PP, Gordon had Perkins, Cinque Chapman was quality for a year or two, etc...