PDA

View Full Version : playoff scenerios

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 04:22 AM
The first 5 games are in the bag and were 3-2. Yes both of our losses were to conference teams but both are ranked. Were good enough to beat any team but capable of losing to every team, except Indiana State. Were young but healthy and we could have beaten WIU and had a chance to tie UNI late in the game.

If we can win 4 more games and get to 7 wins, we have a good shot at making the playoffs. That means we can go 4-2. Indiana State is a lock so that means we have to go 3-2. Is it completely unrealistic to think we can beat SIU and SDSU at home and win 1 road game against either Youngstown, Illinois State, or Missouri State? I think its not only possible, its likely. That would give us a conference record of 4-4.

If we can go 5-1, its a guarantee we will make the playoffs. All we need to do is squeak 1 more win out on the road. Illinois State looked beatable. Youngstown lost. That would give us a conference record of 5-3.

UNI has road games at SIU & WIU plus tough home games with YSU and Missouri State. Could they lose all 4?

Western Illinois has a tough schedule as well.

Its possible we could end up with a share of the conference title if we get some luck.

Before you say 7 win playoff teams are rare consider this. Our saragin rating is off the charts and the only 6-7 win teams who made the playoffs in recent years had wins over FBS teams. Plus 2 more teams will make the playoffs this year. The MVFC is finally getting some respect.

The point is we need to stay positive. We've already matched last years team in wins and we've shown flashes of brilliance. All it takes is for us to get hot late in the year and we could end up making the playoffs with a team that was picked to finish 6th or lower.

Let's pump it up!! Brock to Holloway is the future.

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 04:51 AM
The first 5 games are in the bag and were 3-2. Yes both of our losses were to conference teams but both are ranked. Were good enough to beat any team but capable of losing to every team, except Indiana State. Were young but healthy and we could have beaten WIU and had a chance to tie UNI late in the game.

If we can win 4 more games and get to 7 wins, we have a good shot at making the playoffs. That means we can go 4-2. Indiana State is a lock so that means we have to go 3-2. Is it completely unrealistic to think we can beat SIU and SDSU at home and win 1 road game against either Youngstown, Illinois State, or Missouri State? I think its not only possible, its likely. That would give us a conference record of 4-4.

If we can go 5-1, its a guarantee we will make the playoffs. All we need to do is squeak 1 more win out on the road. Illinois State looked beatable. Youngstown lost. That would give us a conference record of 5-3.

UNI has road games at SIU & WIU plus tough home games with YSU and Missouri State. Could they lose all 4?

Western Illinois has a tough schedule as well.

Its possible we could end up with a share of the conference title if we get some luck.

Before you say 7 win playoff teams are rare consider this. Our saragin rating is off the charts and the only 6-7 win teams who made the playoffs in recent years had wins over FBS teams. Plus 2 more teams will make the playoffs this year. The MVFC is finally getting some respect.

The point is we need to stay positive. We've already matched last years team in wins and we've shown flashes of brilliance. All it takes is for us to get hot late in the year and we could end up making the playoffs with a team that was picked to finish 6th or lower.

Let's pump it up!! Brock to Holloway is the future.

Our passing game has become one dementional. Holloway was double team much of the day and all he ran was the sideline pattern. No drag or slant patterns etc. The TE didnt get thrown to that I saw.

Teams still dont fear our passing game. why? Its not hard to figure out.

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Our passing game has become one dementional. Holloway was double team much of the day and all he ran was the sideline pattern. No drag or slant patterns etc. The TE didnt get thrown to that I saw.

Teams still dont fear our passing game. why? Its not hard to figure out.

Good observations. Hopefully Vigen will figure out the slant. Isn't that supposed to be a staples for the west coast? I think the wacky defense they were running confused everyone. One time it looked like they were running 5 linebackers. That's probably why we could throw deep but not underneath. Tough for a fr qb. Youngstown runs a normal defense. Should help.

ndsubison1
10-04-2010, 05:03 AM
although sigers had that crucial fumble I would like to see us utilize him more with his speed. i dont think ive seen gary williams at all this season? what gives. i know there must be a reason some of our redshirts arent getting PT but why not give cooper wahlo some limited PT? i liked what i saw from him in the spring game.

frankly, the WCO can look like a brutal offense when you're QB isn't very accurate. Gotta be 60% with this type of offense. Same thing with the WR, they missed some passes and also some were very tough catches. Only person I've seen make a tough catch consistently is Holloway.

Everybody knows the play calling situation. Our 2nd to last drive we DIDNT run once. Not once. I realize we were down and had to pass, but run it a few times there. Our running game was fine. Keep the D on their toes.

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 05:15 AM
although sigers had that crucial fumble I would like to see us utilize him more with his speed. i dont think ive seen gary williams at all this season? what gives. i know there must be a reason some of our redshirts arent getting PT but why not give cooper wahlo some limited PT? i liked what i saw from him in the spring game.

frankly, the WCO can look like a brutal offense when you're QB isn't very accurate. Gotta be 60% with this type of offense. Same thing with the WR, they missed some passes and also some were very tough catches. Only person I've seen make a tough catch consistently is Holloway.

Everybody knows the play calling situation. Our 2nd to last drive we DIDNT run once. Not once. I realize we were down and had to pass, but run it a few times there. Our running game was fine. Keep the D on their toes.

What are you talking about? We were 3rd and twelve and we ran it. But then we were also 3rd and 15 and threw a five yard pass? So that should even it out. :D
Wait did anyone else notice the backfield formation where we had two FBs side by side and one halfback behind them in the I formation? Well that play didnt work then there were 2 other unforgettable plays that left be absolutely confused.

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 05:26 AM
What are you talking about? We were 3rd and twelve and we ran it. But then we were also 3rd and 15 and threw a five yard pass? So that should even it out. :D
Wait did anyone else notice the backfield formation where we had two FBs side by side and one halfback behind them in the I formation? Well that play didnt work then there were 2 other unforgettable plays that left be absolutely confused.

That was flipping assinine. And we were completing bombs at a 50% clip!! They could not cover Holloway. Maybe Vigen was over his quota of bombs so he tried the run that had a 5% chance. I mean at least go 3 wide and run a draw play for fcks sake! I formation are you serious?

ndsubison1
10-04-2010, 05:26 AM

If you're talking about a scramble I mean designed running plays. We didnt run it at all on our 2nd to last drive, I remember being pissed right after it.

onbison09
10-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Good observations. Hopefully Vigen will figure out the slant. Isn't that supposed to be a staples for the west coast? I think the wacky defense they were running confused everyone. One time it looked like they were running 5 linebackers. That's probably why we could throw deep but not underneath. Tough for a fr qb. Youngstown runs a normal defense. Should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNSZgbJsSxU :hide:

Notorious
10-04-2010, 12:41 PM

Slants?...but that didn't really work out for Rice, Taylor, or TO....did it? ;)

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Slants?...but that didn't really work out for Rice, Taylor, or TO....did it? ;)

Never heard of a west coast without slants. And i don't think our TEs did much either.

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 09:34 PM
That was flipping assinine. And we were completing bombs at a 50% clip!! They could not cover Holloway. Maybe Vigen was over his quota of bombs so he tried the run that had a 5% chance. I mean at least go 3 wide and run a draw play for fcks sake! I formation are you serious?

May be if we had 3-4 receivers out their they wouldny be double covering the two that get sent. Hey that might even get a receiver open???