PDA

View Full Version : Reality Sinks In - But....

CaBisonFan
10-04-2010, 02:38 AM
It was actually a pretty strange feeling as the game was nearing its end Saturday. I was disappointed in the outcome...but not in the team. Yes...mistakes were made. There are a lot of 'what ifs.' But that goes for most games...win or lose.

But for me...I saw a Bison football team on my computer screen yesterday. I saw 'fire' and 'desire.' I saw tremendous athleticism that probably will turn into something really good in about a year. Yes...this team will improve during this season. But as much as I'm all for winning now, it's not reality. Who knows...they could still finish very strong.

I saw flashes of brilliance on the field. Mr. Jensen...you have earned my respect. And Warren Holloway...amazing. The list is long. So many names...some older...some new. Gratzek was absolutely amazing. Talk about desire...whoa.

During most of my life I've lived and died each Bison Saturday. Something different happened yesterday. I calmly shut the computer off...and enjoyed the day. They lost a game. Yup...a game.

I think that this 'team' knows what it is all about. They're just not ready to show it on the scoreboard every Saturday.

John Wooden was once asked what his best team was during his career. He told the reporter that it was a team in the early 60s that went 14-13. When asked why, he said: "the boys gave everything during every practice for every minute, and during every minute of every game. They were champions." Out of this philosophy came the great dynasty. I think that Coach Wooden would have been impressed if he'd seen the Bison play on Saturday. He would have told them to go home and be college students. "Boys...winning is not on the scoreboard. You played like champions today. You played Bison Football. I'm proud of you."

Things are different now. I've written consistently that my greatest desire is just to watch Bison football again. I saw it on Saturday. Perspective...:cool:

TransAmBison
10-04-2010, 02:51 AM
I agree completely CA. There was no epic meltdown. We were just beat. I do not believe we played a great team, but we played a team that made very few errors and played sound, fundamental football. Jensen is improving...but I expect we have seen far from his best...that will come in the next few years. Holloway has stepped up like I never would have believed. McNorton is busting his tail. He earned every yard. I do believe the play callings is suspect, but I have a feeling that will change next year. More receivers will be available next year...another year of experience for our o-line.

I'm still saying you need to come to a game in person this year, CA. Get your ticket and come tailgating for the last home game. You won't be disappointed.

4mcruenomore
10-04-2010, 03:12 AM
One thing is for sure, tailgating is awesome, and bison pride is always there no matter what!!! Drink Up!

onbison09
10-04-2010, 03:18 AM
Thanks CA. I needed that. I apologize for some of my posts around here the past couple of days :blush: I think one of my problems is I want the team to win too bad

CaBisonFan
10-04-2010, 03:18 AM
I agree completely CA. There was no epic meltdown. We were just beat. I do not believe we played a great team, but we played a team that made very few errors and played sound, fundamental football. Jensen is improving...but I expect we have seen far from his best...that will come in the next few years. Holloway has stepped up like I never would have believed. McNorton is busting his tail. He earned every yard. I do believe the play callings is suspect, but I have a feeling that will change next year. More receivers will be available next year...another year of experience for our o-line.

I'm still saying you need to come to a game in person this year, CA. Get your ticket and come tailgating for the last home game. You won't be disappointed.

Yes...a solid opponent that made no serious mistakes. They were able to control the ball and wear us down defensively. Jensen's up-side appears to be huge. I am still critical of the play calling...like you. More targets for Brock will definitely help. I'm going to talk to the boss about flying up. I appreciate the invite...:nod:

But I wouldn't want to sit in the jewelry rattling section again. I'd want to sit with real Bison fans. God...those people were boring to be around. I'd pay more to get a bad seat with people who actually try to get the Bison fired up.

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 03:22 AM
Yes...a solid opponent that made no serious mistakes. They were able to control the ball and wear us down defensively. Jensen's up-side appears to be huge. I am still critical of the play calling...like you. More targets for Brock will definitely help. I'm going to talk to the boss about flying up. I appreciate the invite...:nod:

But I wouldn't want to sit in the jewelry rattling section again. I'd want to sit with real Bison fans. God...those people were boring to be around. I'd pay more to get a bad seat with people who actually try to get the Bison fired up.

Hmmm so they werent real Bison fans???

CaBisonFan
10-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Hmmm so they werent real Bison fans???

Anyone who sits on their hands for four solid quarters, doesn't use their voice to support the team (ever), claps politely when the Bison do something good, elbows on knees, no intensity (ever), and the only time (I mean only time) you hear their voice is when you stand up to cheer (siddown!!)...yeah...they're not real Bison fans.

I was in the stands for your games PL. Even when things were a little down under Ev...you got support. Big-time. The small bleachers where the booster types sat back then were into the game. You guys were given huge ovations (including the offensive line) when these real fans saw what you did. I saw it PL. It was consistent. It was all over the stadium. The hand-sitters were a small, small minority...up in the far corners or the endzone. You know this is true PL. The money crowd actually watched the frickin' game...and were intensely supportive...right behind your bench and under the broadcast booth. Oh yeah. They were real Teammakers. They understood that support wasn't just money. They were more than happy to show it. And they showed up in all kinds of weather.

The crowd I'm talking about now is in the thousands. They might as well be at the mall...or a movie. We've made coming to a football game like a quiet social event...very comfy. Oh yes...the analytical, quiet, and (sometimes) former player is there too in that section. Very quiet. Too cool to cheer in a big way. I saw it PL...:nod:

Outdoor football + good football = jacked up crowd

Right now...the tailgate attitude stops at the door.

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Anyone who sits on their hands for four solid quarters, doesn't use their voice to support the team (ever), claps politely when the Bison do something good, elbows on knees, no intensity (ever), and the only time (I mean only time) you hear their voice is when you stand up to cheer (siddown!!)...yeah...they're not real Bison fans.

I was in the stands for your games PL. Even when things were a little down under Ev...you got support. Big-time. The small bleachers where the booster types sat back then were into the game. You guys were given huge ovations (including the offensive line) when these real fans saw what you did. I saw it PL. It was consistent. It was all over the stadium. The hand-sitters were a small, small minority...up in the far corners or the endzone. You know this is true PL. The money crowd actually watched the frickin' game...and were intensely supportive...right behind your bench and under the broadcast booth. Oh yeah. They were real Teammakers. They understood that support wasn't just money. They were more than happy to show it. And they showed up in all kinds of weather.

The crowd I'm talking about now is in the thousands. They might as well be at the mall...or a movie. We've made coming to a football game like a quiet social event...very comfy. Oh yes...the analytical, quiet, and (sometimes) former player is there too in that section. Very quiet. Too cool to cheer in a big way. I saw it PL...:nod:

I agree to an extent but the dome was pretty loud. Great leadership on the field. The players were TRYING to fire the crowd up. That's huge. Problem is when the crowd got into the game they kept converting 3rd and longs.

But we've got a chance to make the dome one of the loudest stadiums in all of college football. No exaggeration either. We may not have an outdoor stadium that is ours so we need to take advantage of what we have. A really loud stadium and home field advantage. That should be the campaign. Kind of like what the comings did back in 98. "WELCOME TO THE LOUDEST STADIUM IN THE NFL!" It worked.

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 05:51 AM

I didnt need to read anything more than the first paragraph.
That has to be the most sanctamonious piece of bullshit Ive seen here.
Supposed fans deriding other fans because they dont meet their expectation of how they think they should cheer????? Talk about small town small time BS. You take the cake. You and lakes need to get together. He can tell you how great he thinks he is and you can tell him how great things used to be and then you can critisize everyone that doesnt meet your Bison Guide to being a Fan. That will be a best seller Iam sure.

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 06:07 AM
I didnt need to read anything more than the first paragraph.
That has to be the most sanctamonious piece of bullshit Ive seen here.
Supposed fans deriding other fans because they dont meet their expectation of how they think they should cheer????? Talk about small town small time BS. You take the cake. You and lakes need to get together. He can tell you how great he thinks he is and you can tell him how great things used to be and then you can critisize everyone that doesnt meet your Bison Guide to being a Fan. That will be a best seller Iam sure.

I think your being a bit hard on him. Is saying he wants fans to cheer louldly A BAD THING? Maybe the part about not being real fans was a bit over the top but they are certainly lacking in their enthusiasm. Maybe its a midwest thing or they are just too shy? Kind of reminds me of the movie footloose. You can't cheer in this town. But 90% of other boards complain about the same thing. We just have higher expectations.

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 06:38 AM
I think your being a bit hard on him. Is saying he wants fans to cheer louldly A BAD THING? Maybe the part about not being real fans was a bit over the top but they are certainly lacking in their enthusiasm. Maybe its a midwest thing or they are just too shy? Kind of reminds me of the movie footloose. You can't cheer in this town. But 90% of other boards complain about the same thing. We just have higher expectations.

NO he did not say he just wants them to cheer. He said they arent Bison fans if they dont etc.
I dont care if they cheer or not. If they show up they are supporting there team. I will take a fan like that over an obnoxious fan any day.
Who has higher expectations? YOU????Are you speaking for the Bison Nation?
This is the only place I have ever heard people telling other people they arent fans because of there supposed lack of enthusiasm.
The problem is you arent going to the game to watch the game. You are going because you think you are part of the game or want to be a part of it. If thats what gets you off fine. But dont tell me that those that dont cheer to your expectation arent fans.
On a better note throw your expectations of how you think a fan should cheer in the crap can. That way you can get over yourselves and not worry how those around you are cheering.:D It will give you one less thing to worry about and you can learn the difference between cover 1 and cover 2.:nod: .

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 06:48 AM
NO he did not say he just wants them to cheer. He said they arent Bison fans if they dont etc.
I dont care if they cheer or not. If they show up they are supporting there team. I will take a fan like that over an obnoxious fan any day.
This is the only place I have ever heard people telling other people they arent fans because of there supposed lack of enthusiasm.
The problem is you arent going to the game to watch the game. You are going because you think you are part of the game or want to be a part of it. If thats what gets you off fine. But dont tell me that those that dont cheer to your expectation arent fans.
On a better note throw your expectations of how you think a fan should cheer in the crap can. That way you can get over yourselves and not worry how those around you are cheering.:D It will give you one less thing to worry about and you can learn the difference between cover 1 and cover 2.:nod: .

I guess I've never equated cheering with being obnoxious. You are a smart guy and understand it is a fact that noise causes false starts, delay of game penalties, and loss of concentration or general confusion. It also causes the players to get fired up and gets the adrenaline flowing. That means a better home field advantage and a better chance of winning the game. The average fan doesn't recognize this. The GREAT FANS or SMART FANS, like most of Bisonville are very loud. So if I had to rephrase it for CA I would do it like this. We need the fans to be smarter and cheer. Many of the fans who don't heer play a huge role in the team by joining teammakers. Let's take it to the next level. Donate. Go to the game. Cheer. Make a difference.

Facts
10-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Good debate. One question for you 56Bison73: How do you define home field advantage?

NorthernBison
10-04-2010, 01:32 PM
There is something called "taking the crowd out of the game". I'm sure most of us have heard it before.

WIU did exactly that on Saturday. They did it convincingly and you can't blame the fans for that any more than you can blame a player for getting beat by a superior play by his opponent.

aces1180
10-04-2010, 01:41 PM
There is something called "taking the crowd out of the game". I'm sure most of us have heard it before.

WIU did exactly that on Saturday. They did it convincingly and you can't blame the fans for that any more than you can blame a player for getting beat by a superior play by his opponent.

I think we actually took ourselves out of the game on Saturday after that fumble inside WIU territory. It was a like a balloon being deflated. WIU did a good job of keeping their foot on the Bison throats, that's for sure.

aces1180
10-04-2010, 01:43 PM

I have a 1-year old daughter who cries when daddy stands up to cheer...Does that not make me a fan because I want my daughter to enjoy her first season of Bison football?

Bison bison
10-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I have a 1-year old daughter who cries when daddy stands up to cheer...Does that not make me a fan because I want my daughter to enjoy her first season of Bison football?

I'm more concerned about your daughter.

:)

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 01:58 PM

I think your the exception and not the rule. Personally i would get a babysitter if possible.

aces1180
10-04-2010, 02:10 PM
I think your the exception and not the rule. Personally i would get a babysitter if possible.

No, I want her to be there with me. Bison football is a family thing for us, so excluding her is not the answer. If that means I can cheer as much as I used to, so be it.

However, I'm still as big of a fan as ever.

TransAmBison
10-04-2010, 02:17 PM
No, I want her to be there with me. Bison football is a family thing for us, so excluding her is not the answer. If that means I can cheer as much as I used to, so be it.

But I am willing to bet you are dying to cheer, and your kid will be cheering right beside you before long. You and CA are on the same side.

aces1180
10-04-2010, 02:34 PM
But I am willing to bet you are dying to cheer, and your kid will be cheering right beside you before long. You and CA are on the same side.

I am dying to cheer more...I've made her cry a few times, but felt really bad about it.

We did get her the Drew Brees kid's ear protectors (already decorated with Bison stickers), but I think she gets scared because she isn't used to daddy acting like a maniac at home.

I just don't like it when people dictate or decide how a "real fan" should support their team.

Kermit
10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I am not as demonstrative as some hardcore fans. I do cheer. I stand up when I think the situation warrants. I'm more reserved than some, but I am at the games because I love football and I love the Bison. I'm not a football expert, but I grew up watching tape with my dad (a high school coach) and I like to watch the game from a more analytical perspective.

I understand that others are different than me and have different values, attitudes, and preferences. I do resent that someone would say I'm not a "real fan" because I don't act the way they want me to when I watch a game. Can't we be more tolerant of other people who are older/younger, quieter/louder than us?
:ranting: :hide:

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I guess I've never equated cheering with being obnoxious. You are a smart guy and understand it is a fact that noise causes false starts, delay of game penalties, and loss of concentration or general confusion. It also causes the players to get fired up and gets the adrenaline flowing. That means a better home field advantage and a better chance of winning the game. The average fan doesn't recognize this. The GREAT FANS or SMART FANS, like most of Bisonville are very loud. So if I had to rephrase it for CA I would do it like this. We need the fans to be smarter and cheer. Many of the fans who don't heer play a huge role in the team by joining teammakers. Let's take it to the next level. Donate. Go to the game. Cheer. Make a difference.

Come on. You know as well as I do that cheering in itself isn't obnoxious. But there some cheering fans who are. I will answer further when I get to the cities. Hotol internet is out and I'm using my cell for this.

Bison bison
10-04-2010, 02:46 PM

Why don't you think of your daughter first?

I have a four-year-old daughter who is a huge Bison fan, but she doesn't like the noise and stays at home.

Game day is a huge deal for our family as well, but not so much that I think that 'excluding' my daughter is a big deal.

Kermit
10-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I think it is ironic that some people who call themselves the "real Bison fans" threaten to stay away from games because the atmosphere/other fans/stadium/dome security etc. don't meet their standards. I go for the football and none of those things will keep me away.

I also think it is ironic that some of the people who want to dictate how "real fans" should behave habitually refer to FargoDome security people as Nazis. I think we could all benefit from a little more tolerance of others.

TransAmBison
10-04-2010, 02:51 PM
I removed the poster's name from the quote above, because my comment is not intended to be personal. I just want to make a point...

I am not as demonstrative as some hardcore fans. I do cheer. I stand up when I think the situation warrants. I'm more reserved than some, but I am at the games because I love football and I love the Bison. I'm not a football expert, but I grew up watching tape with my dad (a high school coach) and I like to watch the game from a more analytical perspective.

I understand that others are different than me and have different values, attitudes, and preferences. I do resent that someone would say I'm not a "real fan" because I don't act the way they want me to when I watch a game. Can't we be more tolerant of other people who are older/younger, quieter/louder than us?
:ranting: :hide:
If you really look at the quote you commented on, you will see he really narrowed it down. Not only did the quote say the person never cheers, but also yells at others for standing. He really narrowed the focus. He went so far as to say the people had to yell at others for showing their support before he labeled them as not being a fan. In no way did that include you or Aces, because you did not fit all the criteria. Now, you both suck as fans in my opinion though, but that is just because you are #%!#ing #$&#s not to mention #%#$ %$#&!!!!!! :D

aces1180
10-04-2010, 02:55 PM
What don't you think of your daughter first?

I have a four-year-old daughter who is a huge Bison fan, but she doesn't like the noise and stays at home.

Game day is a huge deal for our family as well, but not so much that I think that 'excluding' my daughter is a big deal.

To each their own. I want her there with me and their aren't any other options for her anyway, as we come from Bemijdi, and keeping her at home is not an option. We figure we'll take her to the games now, and if she decides she doesn't want to go in a few years, we'll make other arrangements. The only other option is skipping games completely, but that is not something we want to do.

If I didn't think of my daughter first, she wouldn't have hearing protection. In fact, one of the dome security personnel actually complimented us for using the ear muffs.

The issue is not the noise, its the actions that go with it when I cheer.

Kermit
10-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I agree with you about the specific post that I quoted. I will delete the quote from my post. I am just tired of people complaining about EVERYTHING. If you are a fan, just go the games and have a good time in your own way. Be tolerant of others and ENJOY! Don't worry that the FargoDome isn't like Bryant-Denny stadium. Don't worry that some of the fans look different than you or had more/less to drink than you did. Just have fun!!!!!!!

Go Bison!!

bisonmike2
10-04-2010, 03:03 PM
I am dying to cheer more...I've made her cry a few times, but felt really bad about it.

We did get her the Drew Brees kid's ear protectors (already decorated with Bison stickers), but I think she gets scared because she isn't used to daddy acting like a maniac at home.

I just don't like it when people dictate or decide how a "real fan" should support their team.

This is why I support screaming and yelling at your kids at home. Then it allows you to go to sporting events and be the fan you really want to be.

Bison bison
10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
My kids are pretty well prepped for the games as my time at home is evenly divided among

1. Joyous tirades
2. Moaning and weeping
3. Shocked silence
4. Twitching and muttering "WTF, WTF, WTF..."

roadwarrior
10-04-2010, 03:16 PM
If the score in the first half would have been reversed and we were up by 21-3, everybody would be complimenting the fans for being so loud two weeks in a row. The reality is that a week ago we were celebrating being ranked #13 in the country and this week we are winless in the conference. It seems that the frustration over that fact has the fans attacking each other.

EndZoneQB
10-04-2010, 03:21 PM
I agree with you about the specific post that I quoted. I will delete the quote from my post. I am just tired of people complaining about EVERYTHING. If you are a fan, just go the games and have a good time in your own way. Be tolerant of others and ENJOY! Don't worry that the FargoDome isn't like Bryant-Denny stadium. Don't worry that some of the fans look different than you or had more/less to drink than you did. Just have fun!!!!!!!

Go Bison!!

There's no reason it can't be like that...it's a college football game...even Bohl has something to say about it. I do agree about being tolerant though. I have never caused an issue with anyone or security until this week. If security tells me to do something and I feel it is appropriate, they'll hear an "Ok" and immediate compliance. For example, at the USD game, I was in the concourse area as Hando sits across it from me, and the security lady told me I had to take my seat. I had no problem and actually apologized. She thanked me and seemed to be enjoying my enthusiasm later on in the game. They went over and above that this week and it really hit me in the stomach...I had to make a post about it and see if everyone else was having the same experiences. Not only to gather us up, but to actually do something constructive about it. I know security is there for a reason, but we need some checks and balances on the system.

I mean, if I was really as bad as security made me out to be, would my uncle be bringing his 10 & 8 year old daughters to the game when he KNOWS exactly how I am?

tony
10-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Odd thing was that the fans did sound pretty loud on the web feed.

BTW, that play when Jemison knocked both the blocker and the receiver down was outstanding!

CAS4127
10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Not sure if this is the correct thread for this comment, but here goes anyway!

What I saw Saturday at the game confirmed some of the things I have posted previously, and one that I haven't. First, I am still question the offensive play calling--we just did not set up any plays. Even if the "set-up" play goes for a loss, and least you are setting something up for later. Also, play calling in the red-zone was horrific! Remember we talked about creativity in the red zone, like screens, naked boots (with throwback if there), draws, etc., all of which can be set up earlier in the drive or game. Second, and this I have not said before--WE ARE LACKING LEADERSHIP AND TEAM CHEMISTRY ON BOTH SIDES OF HE BALL AND ON THE SIDELINE. Regardless of whether we are young or not, someone has to step up a be a leader, and that person does not have to be the most well-liked, he needs to be someone who can make plays, understands the scheme, whether offense or defense, and "be there" at the end of a play, whether he is in on it or not. Example: last serious, Jensen throws an incomplete pass and is dusted at end and laying on ground. The rest of the offense runs of the field, and NO ONE helped him to his feet. R U EFFIN KIDDING ME?! If I would have been on sideline as a defensive player, I would have had perhaps the uncontrollable urge to run out there myself, help him to his feet and jog to the sidelines side-by-side with him. In other words, stay true to your teamates in both good times and bad, whether on offense or defense. Then, when the balance of the offense gets to the sideline, I did not observe any coach chewing the rest of the offensive players asses for leaving there QB, who, in my opinion, played his heart out, laying on the field by himself. That was bullshit, and I personally was pissed.

Long story short--WE ARE LACKING LEADERSHIP ON AND OFF THE FIELD AND SOMEONE NEEDS TO STEP UP. IT STARTS WITH COACHING STAFF AND ENDS WITHT HE PLAYERS. UNTIL AND IF WE SEE THIS, WE WILL CONTINUE TO BE A AVERAGE TEAM, DESPITE OUR TALENT LEVEL!! JUST EFFIN SAYIN MY FRIENDS.

P.S. I LIKE JENSEN EVEN MORE NOW--HE LOWERED HIS PADS WHEN HE FINISHED RUNS AND OTHERWISE PLAYED WITH EMOTION!!

Kermit
10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=EndZoneQB;408629]There's no reason it can't be like that...it's a college football game...even Bohl has something to say about it. I do agree about being tolerant though. I have never caused an issue with anyone or security until this week...QUOTE]

EndZoneQB, believe me, I enjoy the enthusiasm that you and other bring to the table! Tolerance of others is the point I wanted to make.

Kermit
10-04-2010, 03:44 PM

What I saw Saturday at the game confirmed some of the things I have posted previously, and one that I haven't. First, I am still question the offensive play calling--we just did not set up any plays. Even if the "set-up" play goes for a loss, and least you are setting something up for later. Also, play calling in the red-zone was horrific! Remember we talked about creativity in the red zone, like screens, naked boots (with throwback if there), draws, etc., all of which can be set up earlier in the drive or game. Second, and this I have not said before--WE ARE LACKING LEADERSHIP AND TEAM CHEMISTRY ON BOTH SIDES OF HE BALL AND ON THE SIDELINE. Regardless of whether we are young or not, someone has to step up a be a leader, and that person does not have to be the most well-liked, he needs to be someone who can make plays, understands the scheme, whether offense or defense, and "be there" at the end of a play, whether he is in on it or not. Example: last serious, Jensen throws an incomplete pass and is dusted at end and laying on ground. The rest of the offense runs of the field, and NO ONE helped him to his feet. R U EFFIN KIDDING ME?! If I would have been on sideline as a defensive player, I would have had perhaps the uncontrollable urge to run out there myself, help him to his feet and jog to the sidelines side-by-side with him. In other words, stay true to your teamates in both good times and bad, whether on offense or defense. Then, when the balance of the offense gets to the sideline, I did not observe any coach chewing the rest of the offensive players asses for leaving there QB, who, in my opinion, played his heart out, laying on the field by himself. That was bullshit, and I personally was pissed.

Long story short--WE ARE LACKING LEADERSHIP ON AND OFF THE FIELD AND SOMEONE NEEDS TO STEP UP. IT STARTS WITH COACHING STAFF AND ENDS WITHT HE PLAYERS. UNTIL AND IF WE SEE THIS, WE WILL CONTINUE TO BE A AVERAGE TEAM, DESPITE OUR TALENT LEVEL!! JUST EFFIN SAYIN MY FRIENDS.

P.S. I LIKE JENSEN EVEN MORE NOW--HE LOWERED HIS PADS WHEN HE FINISHED RUNS AND OTHERWISE PLAYED WITH EMOTION!!

Good stuff! No doubt, the red zone offense was poor. I'm not sure how much of the blame to put on play calling. We don't seem to have reliable receivers who can make a play in traffic (except for Holloway), nor do we have a power runner. Veldman's absence has been a factor. He got in for a few plays but it was apparent that he is still having trouble running.

Frankly, I think we got beat by a more experienced football team that played almost mistake free ball. Our QB is young, talented and able to make big plays. Their QB is able to make the right play at the right time.

We couldn't stop the run when we needed a big stop. We couldn't stop their big wide receivers. The best team won this one.

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 09:03 PM

This is not the point. The point is saying some one is a better or more of a fan because they stand and or cheer. Thats BS. We arent debating cause and effect.
There are many that actually like to watch a football game. So what if they dont cheer. Where do people get off by saying its a requirement to be a good Bison Fan. Again I call BS.
Some people travel great distance to get to the games. Are they more or a better of fan than anybody else? NO.
If you want to cheer. Then cheer. Dont worry about that other fans may be cheering, standing etc or not and the possible reasons why. Where do people get off on passing judgement on those that just want to watch their Bison play?

The show is on the field. Not in the stands.

Damn crap like this just honks me off. Ok Im better now. I think. :nod:

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 09:15 PM
This is not the point. The point is saying some one is a better or more of a fan because they stand and or cheer. Thats BS. We arent debating cause and effect.
There are many that actually like to watch a football game. So what if they dont cheer. Where do people get off by saying its a requirement to be a good Bison Fan. Again I call BS.
Some people travel great distance to get to the games. Are they more or a better of fan than anybody else? NO.
If you want to cheer. Then cheer. Dont worry about that other fans may be cheering, standing etc or not and the possible reasons why. Where do people get off on passing judgement on those that just want to watch their Bison play?

The show is on the field. Not in the stands.

Damn crap like this just honks me off. Ok Im better now. I think. :nod:

I wasnt disputing that fans who don't cheer aren't real fans. CA was. Fans that support the team in any way are good fans. It's just that fans who cheer louder are more impactful because they play a role in causing penalties. In my opinion that makes them more impactful fans on game day than the person who does the occasional golf clap. To be impactful is smarter. Noise helps.Therefore fans who cheer are smarter fans. Not better fans.

I want to help the team win in more ways than my donation.

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 09:24 PM
I wasnt disputing that fans who don't cheer aren't real fans. CA was. Fans that support the team in any way are good fans. It's just that fans who cheer louder are more impactful because they play a role in causing penalties. In my opinion that makes them more impactful fans on game day than the person who does the occasional golf clap. To be impactful is smarter. Therefore fans who cheer are smarter fans. Not better fans.

There you go again. Just repackaged.

But you are free to believe what you wish. I will not trudge on your fandom.

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 09:39 PM
There you go again. Just repackaged.

But you are free to believe what you wish. I will not trudge on your fandom.

I am a firm believers that its harder to maintain a drive when its 1st and 15 instead of 1st and 10. I can't understand how any fan doesn't recognize that. I can't understand why they wouldn't want to help their team win. Its either a will issue or a skill issue with fans. So either they don't understand the basics of football or they just don't care. Considering the group in front of me was cheering when we were on offense they probably just don't understand football. Then again the people behind me didn't cheer at all but were decked out in green and gold and had season tickets so they are helping fund the team. They care just either are shy or don't share the passion like some of us.

Twentysix
10-04-2010, 10:34 PM
One huge problem I had with the team (after it was pointed out by a former Olineman) was toward the end of the game the Oline gave up a huge hit on Jensen and then just walked off the field. They didnt even help him up. No respect.

CaBisonFan
10-04-2010, 11:03 PM
If the score in the first half would have been reversed and we were up by 21-3, everybody would be complimenting the fans for being so loud two weeks in a row. The reality is that a week ago we were celebrating being ranked #13 in the country and this week we are winless in the conference. It seems that the frustration over that fact has the fans attacking each other.

And who put fuel on this whole discussion to begin with?

I apologize. Fans who never cheer, even from the get-go, are just as good as the ones who bust their ass to try to get the dome rocking...even when things aren't going well...my bad 73...:cool:

Sheez

TransAmBison
10-04-2010, 11:05 PM

I apologize. Fans who never cheer, even from the get-go, are just as good as the ones who bust their ass to try to get the dome rocking...even when things aren't going well...my bad 73...:cool:

Sheez
56 has a right to his opinion, but so do you. It was a good post.

sambini
10-04-2010, 11:35 PM
We all love the Bison win or lose...

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 11:36 PM

Sheez

I don't think you need to apologize. Fans that don't cheer either don't understand how important it is to cheer or they don’t care. You can teach fans that don't know why its important to cheer. If they don't share the passion there is nothing you can do. The team or marketing department will have to inspire them. You can try and inspire them by making cool videos. Were lucky that they are giving money and that's the best we can do. There is a reason why there are bandwagon fans. We were all bandwagon fans at some point... what inspired us?

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 11:40 PM
I am a firm believers that its harder to maintain a drive when its 1st and 15 instead of 1st and 10. I can't understand how any fan doesn't recognize that. I can't understand why they wouldn't want to help their team win. Its either a will issue or a skill issue with fans. So either they don't understand the basics of football or they just don't care. Considering the group in front of me was cheering when we were on offense they probably just don't understand football. Then again the people behind me didn't cheer at all but were decked out in green and gold and had season tickets so they are helping fund the team. They care just either are shy or don't share the passion like some of us.

You just cant stop from slighting Bison fans can you. Cheering has nothing to do with the basics of football.

If they are decked out in green and gold and have season tickets they dont have any less passion than you do they just express it differently.

Its obvious that its you who doesnt get it.

tjbison
10-04-2010, 11:44 PM
You can go to ANY stadium in the country Pro, College, High School, Sunday school whatever and you will ALWAYS find fans that watch and others that Cheer. Does it seem like we have more relaxed fans? maybe My section seems good we have a older couple in front of us that doesn't "pump it up" but they do stand at kickoff, 3rd Down and generally enjoy the game. I on the other hand make noise and holler some things and he and his wife always turn and give a smile, so I will not call them out because they don't scream and clap like I, but I do try and make up for them;) afterall they atleast attend the games and STAY TILL THE HORN SOUNDS, IMO thats a more Loyal fan:hide:

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 11:51 PM
If they are decked out in green and gold and have season tickets they dont have any less passion than you do they just express it differently.

3 possibilities. 1) great fans but don't understand that cheering is important. 2) bought into the marketing and follow the team because its trend. Have NDSU gear to fit in. Have also attended Sioux hockey games. Like the team but its not really a big deal. 3) are big fans but too shy to cheer.

I would guess that they are# 2. That's ok. They support the team. It will take some inspiration to get them to cheer. They can get it from the team kicking ass on the field or by learning about the tradition. Some day they could be as big of a fan as we are.

HerdBot
10-05-2010, 12:12 AM
You just cant stop from slighting Bison fans can you. Cheering has nothing to do with the basics of football.

Its obvious that its you who doesnt get it.

That's where well have to agree to disagree. Jumping on the bandwagon and wearing team colors because its frenzy does not equal passion. They are either bandwagon fans or just don't understand. If they are bandwagon fans that's ok too. Just don't put them in the same category as you or i. We can hope that the team kicks ass and inspires them to someday be like us.

56BISON73
10-05-2010, 12:17 AM
That's where well have to agree to disagree. Jumping on the bandwagon and wearing team colors because its frenzy does not equal passion. They are either bandwagon fans or just don't understand. If they are bandwagon fans that's ok too. Just don't put them in the same category as you or i. We can hope that the team kicks ass and inspires them to someday be like us.

Dont put me in your category. Pompus and I dont mix well together. I will now leave you to play in your high and mighty sandbox where you can gaze down on the rest of us so called fans.

Bison bison
10-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Loud fans can and do make a difference. For example, Section 21 caused a false start during the WIU game. I don't what the hell the tea party set over in Section 20 was doing.

Fans should be made aware of this FACT, if they aren't already.

However, some people just aren't inclined to cheer much or at all.

That's alright, they're still fans in my book. They just need to sit with the other lamos in Section 20.

HerdBot
10-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Dont put me in your category. Pompus and I dont mix well together. I will now leave you to play in your high and mighty sandbox where you can gaze down on the rest of us so called fans.

So basically your saying your no more passionate than a bandwagon fan. Or do you mean a bandwagon fan is just as passionate as you are. Everyone is equally as passionate? Did you actually read my post are do you have a case of verbal diarrhea?

344Johnson
10-05-2010, 03:34 AM
The players worked hard. They looked like they really wanted it out there. Yeah, they need some work. Jensen, has a wonderful deep ball. Short and intermediate needs some work, then again i could be wrong, we don't run anything short or intermediate. McNorton, we all got on his case early in the season....something tells me our boy DJ has been reading some bisonville cause he is running like a man now. Same for the O-Line. Very proud of everyone's effort on the field. All in all, a very, very athletic team.

Granted, I still don't have faith in Bohl or Vigen (especially Vigen). Bad playcalling, still not that disciplined of a team. Baby steps I guess. Maybe work Dante Perez into the game sometimes, he is a good athlete apparently? Maybe they should be prepared for opposing gameplans better. Maybe they should adapt in the first half sometimes? I don't know, I am a freshman in college but just something I've picked up on since Bohl has taken over.

Couldn't agree with you all more about the fan support. Students leave wayyy to early(not this guy). Between the 30's on the bison sideline (perhaps on our side too? I can't exactly see). I wish people would sell their ticket if they were not planning on going to the game. Something the university should work on.

CAS4127
10-05-2010, 03:16 PM
One huge problem I had with the team (after it was pointed out by a former Olineman) was toward the end of the game the Oline gave up a huge hit on Jensen and then just walked off the field. They didnt even help him up. No respect.

26: I posted the below yesterday--couldn't agree with you more, and I am a former LB for the Bison. This is a major problem, IMHO.

What I saw Saturday at the game confirmed some of the things I have posted previously, and one that I haven't. First, I am still question the offensive play calling--we just did not set up any plays. Even if the "set-up" play goes for a loss, and least you are setting something up for later. Also, play calling in the red-zone was horrific! Remember we talked about creativity in the red zone, like screens, naked boots (with throwback if there), draws, etc., all of which can be set up earlier in the drive or game. Second, and this I have not said before--WE ARE LACKING LEADERSHIP AND TEAM CHEMISTRY ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL AND ON THE SIDELINE. Regardless of whether we are young or not, someone has to step up a be a leader, and that person does not have to be the most well-liked, he needs to be someone who can make plays, understands the scheme, whether offense or defense, and "be there" at the end of a play, whether he is in on it or not. Example: last series, Jensen throws an incomplete pass and is dusted at end and laying on ground. The rest of the offense runs of the field, and NO ONE helped him to his feet. R U EFFIN KIDDING ME?! If I would have been on sideline as a defensive player, I would have had perhaps the uncontrollable urge to run out there myself, help him to his feet and jog to the sidelines side-by-side with him. In other words, stay true to your teamates in both good times and bad, whether on offense or defense. Then, when the balance of the offense gets to the sideline, I did not observe any coach chewing the rest of the offensive players asses for leaving there QB, who, in my opinion, played his heart out, laying on the field by himself. That was bullshit, and I personally was pissed.

Long story short--WE ARE LACKING LEADERSHIP ON AND OFF THE FIELD AND SOMEONE NEEDS TO STEP UP. IT STARTS WITH COACHING STAFF AND ENDS WITH THE PLAYERS. UNTIL AND IF WE SEE THIS, WE WILL CONTINUE TO BE A AVERAGE TEAM, DESPITE OUR TALENT LEVEL!! JUST EFFIN SAYIN MY FRIENDS.