PDA

View Full Version : Red zone struggles hamper Bison offense

Swany
10-04-2010, 02:23 AM
http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=323

Preview: All week, Hendrickson and his WIU coaching staff challenged the Leathernecks to be the better second half team. “This year, North Dakota State has been a second half team and the coaches challenged ourselves to be the better second half team this game.”

The Bison would threaten several times late in the fourth quarter, making it as far deep as the WIU-13 and WIU-3 on successive drives. But both drives would stall, and the Bison failed to score any points.

“They had guys flying around all over the place,” said Jensen, describing NDSU’s inability to finish drives. “We really missed some key opportunities in the red zone, being able to convert in the red zone is huge and we didn’t do that today.”

CaBisonFan
10-04-2010, 02:46 AM
I think that Brock will decide that the first half is the time to put it to teams. Smart kid. We have a leader with a very intelligent football mind. Impressive, to say the least. The fumble on our first drive was huge. He'll fix it.

The red zone failures lie within the play calling. The game changes down there. We need an architect.

HerdBot
10-04-2010, 06:55 AM
I think that Brock will decide that the first half is the time to put it to teams. Smart kid. We have a leader with a very intelligent football mind. Impressive, to say the least. The fumble on our first drive was huge. He'll fix it.

The red zone failures lie within the play calling. The game changes down there. We need an architect.

Brock is the best deep ball QB this team has had in years, possibly ever. Walker never threw the ball that deep with as much accuracy. His numbers to Holloway are truely off the charts. Once he figures out the short stuff and red zone we will be a force. I would hope they spend much of the week practicing red zone offense and short passes. This kid is smart enough to pick it up fast.

THEsocalledfan
10-04-2010, 07:44 PM

Very, very hard to score in the red zone when:

1. You can't run due to time issues AND

2. It allows the D to play a zone where the all sit in the endzone and just keep everything in front of them.

I am not worried about those lack of conversions. The key is to not get down that far in the first place. THAT is the greater sin.....

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 09:45 PM

ex---we are on the half yardline. D-line is playing almost man up. MAY BE a shade to the inside gap and they arent pinching down. NOBODY is man up on the center. I see a QB sneak. Its a gimmee. So what do we do for 3 plays??? Run between the guard and tackle. You have a QB who is taller than the yardage needed and hes not being covered. He can FALL forward and score. 4th down--QB sneak-score

CAS4127
10-04-2010, 10:03 PM
ex---we are on the half yardline. D-line is playing almost man up. MAY BE a shade to the inside gap and they arent pinching down. NOBODY is man up on the center. I see a QB sneak. Its a gimmee. So what do we do for 3 plays??? Run between the guard and tackle. You have a QB who is taller than the yardage needed and hes not being covered. He can FALL forward and score. 4th down--QB sneak-score

HELLO!!!??? I also saw this on a couple of third down and short plays. That should not have to even be called, it should just be a given for the QB and center to have basic signal at line, like tapping right or left cheek of center and runnin the sneek (that's called coaching). No one else even needs to know it's gonna happen. If there is a "late" shift, you don't run it, and that should not even require another tap, it should just be a given between QB and center--that's called "communication".

IQ test for Vigen please!!:banghead:

56BISON73
10-04-2010, 10:08 PM
HELLO!!!??? I also saw this on a couple of third down and short plays. That should not have to even be called, it should just be a given for the QB and center to have basic signal at line, like tapping right or left cheek of center and runnin the sneek (that's called coaching). No one else even needs to know it's gonna happen. If there is a "late" shift, you don't run it, and that should not even require another tap, it should just be a given between QB and center--that's called "communication".

It works even better when you use a quick snap. All you need is the center and QB to be moving forward. This takes the D-shift out of the equation.

Grizzled
10-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Brock missed some open throws inside the redzone and also missed some checks. This isn't all on coaching. Once he gets his short passing game figured out so he's not over throwing guys or throwing behind guys he'll be tough. Until than he's not a real threat in the redzone as he struggles with accuracy throwing short. I could give five examples from each of the last two games that back this up.

Twentysix
10-04-2010, 10:58 PM

Like ellen paige?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc6vasL8i8w&feature=related

EndZoneQB
10-04-2010, 11:04 PM

I agree with this for more than one thing. There are some things that just shouldn't need to be said. Football isn't that hard to comprehend...and I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of players on this team capable of making decisions under fire but they feel held back by the coaching staff. For example, Favre last year calling his own plays after only being able to take so much of Chilly's play calling. At what point does a player put his neck out to make something happen on his own? I know a single player is not bigger than the team, but sometimes someone just needs to make a friggin play.

CAS4127
10-05-2010, 04:46 PM
"I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of players on this team capable of making decisions under fire but they feel held back by the coaching staff"

Anarchy will eventually rear it's head I would hope. Like I said in another thread yesterday, there are grumblings from "the within" at NDSU, and I think it is just a matter of time. One problem with getting a new OC and or new HC is that the quality players we have, including Jensen, will have to learn a new scheme when they already have talent yet to be truly exposed--think Brewster and his 3-4 OC's in the last same amount of years--YIKES!!

EndZoneQB
10-05-2010, 06:20 PM
"I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of players on this team capable of making decisions under fire but they feel held back by the coaching staff"

Anarchy will eventually rear it's head I would hope. Like I said in another thread yesterday, there are grumblings from "the within" at NDSU, and I think it is just a matter of time. One problem with getting a new OC and or new HC is that the quality players we have, including Jensen, will have to learn a new scheme when they already have talent yet to be truly exposed--think Brewster and his 3-4 OC's in the last same amount of years--YIKES!!

Yes and no. We run a common west coast offense, so find a coach that knows the WCO...which I will admit is harder than it was 10 years ago as everyone runs the spread. Maybe theres a potential OC already on the staff? Either way, a new OC is not the end of the world scheme-wise. Just find someone that fits with the program.

CAS4127
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
"We attempt to run an all too common west coast offense."

There, fixed it for you (I'm learnin from Ming!!). But I don't disagree (which means I don't totally agree) with you that a new OC would not be the end of the world, you would just be able to see it from there for awhile.

EndZoneQB
10-05-2010, 06:27 PM

There, fixed it for you (I'm learnin from Ming!!). But I don't disagree (which means I don't totally agree) with you that a new OC would not be the end of the world, you would just be able to see it from there for awhile.

Haha. It also depends a lot on our kids. They may pick it up extremely quickly. If we don't sit around and wait until May/June to make a move, yeah, we will probably have issues.

90BISON
10-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Oh, I think we've had an upfront seat for that view for a little while already! :confused: :(

SDbison
10-05-2010, 08:51 PM
All I know is Vigen has got to go. I think he had his chances and obviously he is in over his head. Just totally out of it. Again, Bohl as the executive needs to realize his team stock is dropping and Vigen is the culprit. If Bohl is stubborn about this then he deserves to be fired. Its simple.
I just don't understand all the love for Vigen and his quick rise to o-coordinator? Can't even rationalize why he was QB coach. Maybe Vigen is the greatest guy ever, but that doesn't make him a more than capable o-coordinator for team with FCS championship aspirations.

roadwarrior
10-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Bohl said something on the radio last evening to the effect that since Brock is only a freshman, they havent completely opened up the playbook yet. :banghead:

Coach, he has been on campus for over a year and I think he's smart enough to run a couple more plays by now!

TransAmBison
10-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Bohl said something on the radio last evening to the effect that since Brock is only a freshman, they havent completely opened up the playbook yet. :banghead:

Coach, he has been on campus for over a year and I think he's smart enough to run a couple more plays by now!
I picture the playbook sitting on the desk in Bohl's office. He looks at Vigen and says, "Go ahead, you open it."

Vigen, "No way, you open it."

Bohl, "I'll give you a dollar if you touch it."

Vigen, "Can I wear gloves?"

BadlandsBison
10-06-2010, 02:52 AM
I know of a certain running backs coach, ahem, who was a college quarterback. Mayhaps he should take a crack at playcalling? College quarterbacks make the best O-coordinators!

westnodak93bison
10-06-2010, 03:03 AM
I know of a certain running backs coach, ahem, who was a college quarterback. Mayhaps he should take a crack at playcalling? College quarterbacks make the best O-coordinators!

in time this will happen imho or he will get stolen by another school