bosco
10-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Now this is on impressive young man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w43Aew5OFaM

EndZoneQB
10-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Now this is on impressive young man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w43Aew5OFaM

We had a GDT thread for his HS game last night btw :) First play of the game he hooked up with the other NDSU commit Jones for an 80 yard TD!

Bisonguy
10-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Did he commit to NDSU last year, or how the heck did he know what color shirt/tie to wear??

EndZoneQB
10-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Wait, I never watched this video last night - is he really the #2 QB in 'Zona? If so, that means we got #3 RB and #2 QB out of that state - wow. This is class is looking to potentially be better than last years...if thats even possible. I was worried earlier, but I almost wonder if the Kansas win hasn't had a large impact for recruiting.

EndZoneQB
10-02-2010, 12:09 AM
After watching the highlights, he looks good, very good. He's got the over the top release that you really look for...plus if you watch his foot speed, it's pretty exceptional. He works out of the shotgun, so that is sort of a concern, but if he feels his strength is reading defenses, atleast he'll likely have the confidence in doing so. He fits the ball into some tight lanes, but it does look like he needs to get his arm strength up a bit. I saw him throw a half lob on an out and ideally that would be a little flatter. He just needs to grow up a bit, in which we have a perfect situation for right now, potential for a 4year starter.

tony
10-02-2010, 12:19 AM
.... He just needs to grow up a bit, in which we have a perfect situation for right now, potential for a 4year starter.

Lots of potential at the QB spot!

aces1180
10-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Lots of potential at the QB spot!

Which is why I believe Esley Thorton should be designated as a DB. With Brock Jensen poised to be a 3.8-year starter, bearing injury, it would behoove NDSU to use the talent where they can.

EndZoneQB
10-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Which is why I believe Esley Thorton should be designated as a DB. With Brock Jensen poised to be a 3.8-year starter, bearing injury, it would behoove NDSU to use the talent where they can.

I'm not sure Esley is a D-I DB of any kind. You can't just throw anyone back there... You need a different skill set, quick hips, quick feet, leaping ability.

Bisonguy
10-02-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm not sure Esley is a D-I DB of any kind. You can't just throw anyone back there... You need a different skill set, quick hips, quick feet, leaping ability.

Yeah, that and Bohl's stated that Esley is turning heads at practice at QB.

aces1180
10-02-2010, 12:45 AM

Fair enough...Use him as a WR then...Just get him on the field (next year, obviously, as he is redshirting).

aces1180
10-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Yeah, that and Bohl's stated that Esley is turning heads at practice at QB.

With all the talent we have or have coming in at the QB, I think it will be waste if he doesn't see the field in another position. Obviously things could change, but I envision Brock as the long-term man under center.

CaBisonFan
10-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Fair enough...Use him as a WR then...Just get him on the field (next year, obviously, as he is redshirting).

I hope that Esley will play where he's needed. If his athleticism is as good as advertised, I agree...get him on the field next year. Don't let him stand around for 2 more years waiting for his turn.

Bison"FANatic"
10-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Somewhere in ND 4M is shaking his head cursing up a storm.:D :D :D ;) ;)

EndZoneQB
10-02-2010, 03:03 AM

I still don't think he's a WR, either. We aren't in the NCC anymore. These skilled positions use basically the same measureables, and he is likely a QB or nothing. If they thought he would be a D-I WR or DB, he'd be a pretty special talent at this level...considering his height, etc. 6'3'' safeties/corners don't fall to FCS schools.

X-Factor
10-02-2010, 04:17 AM
I still don't think he's a WR, either. We aren't in the NCC anymore. These skilled positions use basically the same measureables, and he is likely a QB or nothing. If they thought he would be a D-I WR or DB, he'd be a pretty special talent at this level...considering his height, etc. 6'3'' safeties/corners don't fall to FCS schools.

6'3" builds usually don't make the best safeties/corners at any level of football. Earl Thomas 5/10
Bob Sanders 5/8
Darrelle Revis 5/11
etc

Bisonguy
10-02-2010, 07:07 AM
6'3" builds usually don't make the best safeties/corners at any level of football. Earl Thomas 5/10
Bob Sanders 5/8
Darrelle Revis 5/11
etc

Taylor Mays 6/3 ???

EndZoneQB
10-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Bob Sanders 5/8
Darrelle Revis 5/11
etc

It's easier being a safety at 6'3'' than a corner...it's not as pivotal to drop your hips and break down. That was the knock on the Vikings draft pick Cook at 6'2''...they say he's too tall. Bob Sanders is a bad example, he's a little small for safety, and if you look around the league, most are really 6'' - 6'1''. Corners can get away with being a little smaller because they are superb athletes.

Taylor Mays gets a lot of hype because of his measureables, but it remains to be seen how his pro career will pan out. He was overrated even at USC.

Grizzled
10-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Esly could play safety at this level no problem. Thats not my opinion its one of the coaches and some other people who see him everyday.

Taking three NFL level player and trying to compare that to what translates well at the FCS level isn't a real good comparison. Taylor Mays may have been overrated at USC but I wouldn't turn away an athlete who played like him if he wanted to come to NDSU.

Notorious
10-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Thorton would make an excellent FS...I'd give it until the end of spring ball to make a decision....

Bison"FANatic"
10-02-2010, 02:23 PM
We are two plays from Thorton either starting or being the back up this year or next. Depth can disappear in a hurry. Dang is it nice to have depth again

Notorious
10-02-2010, 02:26 PM
We are two plays from Thorton either starting or being the back up this year or next. Depth can disappear in a hurry. Dang is it nice to have depth again

Good point....AND, you never know what Jose may decide??? It's always possible that he may transfer.

bisonmike2
10-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Good point....AND, you never know what Jose may decide??? It's always possible that he may transfer.

something could come up with any of these guys. injuries, dropping out, transerring, trouble with law, graduating early and taking a job etc, etc. It's nice to finally see the coaching staff make the position a priority and to recruit it year after year even when it isn't a huge need.

lakesbison
11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Stanford has to be just jacked to be coming up to NDSU for next year.

Kid is as smooth as ive seen at the HS level, Ive seen him play twice on FOX AZ, and I think next year at QB is gonna be crazy competition.

Jose
Jenson
Esley
Stanford.