PDA

View Full Version : Brian Ward - Defensive Backs Coach

Bison Dan
09-30-2010, 02:35 PM
He spoke at the team makers luncheon last Thursday and I came to realize that he might be the best defensive backs coach we've ever had. The play out of the d-backs this year is outstanding. When a recreiver does catch a ball there's one of our guys right on him. Even in our 10-1 years I remember opponent recreivers catching and running for a long time. I think he's the real deal and has our back 4 playing well.

westnodak93bison
09-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Good post. I was thinking the same thing. So far so good.

tcbison
09-30-2010, 02:47 PM
He spoke at the team makers luncheon last Thursday and I came to realize that he might be the best defensive backs coach we've ever had. The play out of the d-backs this year is outstanding. When a recreiver does catch a ball there's one of our guys right on him. Even in our 10-1 years I remember opponent recreivers catching and running for a long time. I think he's the real deal and has our back 4 playing well.

Nice observation. The secondary has been a strength so far. Nice to see some interceptions so far this year as well.

Scooter1
09-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Remember when we were all saying what a shitty player Daniel Eaves was? :banghead:

What a difference a year makes. :blush:

I am glad he is only a Junior. ;)

lakesbison
09-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Mwill, Eaves, Gatlin, Pike would make any coach look good, im just glad we finally recruited some talent at the position.

bisonmike2
09-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Is he new this year? It is nice to see that if the opposing team passes the ball down field there is a Bison player usually in the vicinity challenging the play. Last year our secondary looked lost.

Wally
09-30-2010, 02:54 PM
No doubt, great improvement by the dbs this year. It also helps the defensive backfield when the front 7 is playing just as great. Talent and a better scheme also help.(Good riddance, breske)

HandoEX
09-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Mwill, Eaves, Gatlin, Pike would make any coach look good, im just glad we finally recruited some talent at the position.

Gatlin barely plays. Banks and Pierre are playing twice as much as he is.

westnodak93bison
09-30-2010, 03:02 PM

ah, when haven't we had talent in the secondary? Dahl, Schommer, Earl, Richardson, (Bowman and Belmont before injuries).

tony
09-30-2010, 03:06 PM
It is really hard to believe that Marcus Williams is in his first year.

Also noticed Brendan Pierre make a sure tackle on a bigger WR which was nice to see (was wondering if Bohl should hand him off to Bucky at the end of last season to learn how to do take downs.)

MNLonghorn10
09-30-2010, 03:08 PM
always nice to see the stat board say something in the 200s for visiting team passing yards instead of 390+

OrygunBison
09-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Remember when we were all saying what a shitty player Daniel Eaves was? :banghead:

Yeah, and that is awful. I hope the folks on BV can refrain from name calling in the future. It is one thing to call someone out when they play poorly. It is a different thing altogether to be mean about it.

Sorry for the hijack. Carry on.

OrygunBison
09-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Forgot to mention, I have really liked the play of Eaves this year. He has been hard-nosed and aggressive. That is the Bison ball that I remember. I think that he'll turn out to be one of the best ever in a Bison uniform at that position.

Kermit
09-30-2010, 03:34 PM

Banks plays virtually all the time and he has been the steadiest CB. In the nickel package, he covers the slot receiver. He is one of the unsung heroes of this season, so far.

Williams and Pierre have split time at the other corner. Pierre actually started against USD, but they have alternated in all 4 games. Both are talented. I think Williams is a future star. He has come close to a couple of "Pick 6" chances the past 2 weeks. Marcus made a great tackle on a bubble screen to a slot receiver in the 2nd half against USD. He was covering the outside receiver and got blocked--but he got off the block quickly and came up to make the stop. He does need to get better on run support.

Gatlin always comes in with the nickel package. He has played little, if at all, in the base defense.

Speaking of the nickel package, I think it has been very effective. In addition to bringing in Gatlin, Pike comes in for Lemon to join Eaves at safety. There's been a bit more mix and match at LB, but typically it is Willson and Anderson with Jemison and Evans leaving. They also usually bring in a fresh DE to pair with Boyer. That unit has done a great job!

Herd80
09-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Agree...Banks has been outstanding so far, Williams and Pierre have been really solid. It still drives me nuts that we play a soft coverage so much, but you can't argue with the results.

BTW, this is off the thread topic but I've been wondering all year (and most of last year)...what happened to our bubble screen? We toasted lot's of teams for a few years with that play, but it seems to have vanished from the playbook.

ndsubison1
09-30-2010, 04:47 PM

I've noticed Gatlin plays a lot on 3rd down

56BISON73
09-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Agree...Banks has been outstanding so far, Williams and Pierre have been really solid. It still drives me nuts that we play a soft coverage so much, but you can't argue with the results.

BTW, this is off the thread topic but I've been wondering all year (and most of last year)...what happened to our bubble screen? We toasted lot's of teams for a few years with that play, but it seems to have vanished from the playbook.

The past couple years teams were killing us when we tried to run it. I think if the offense can keep progressing and not be so one dementional then that screen will become effective again.

tony
09-30-2010, 04:55 PM

They ran the bubble screen at least once against USD. Wasn't really paying attention in the other games. Heh, don't know why I thought of this now, but when I think of West Coast Offense, I think of slants over the middle - maybe they're never open because I don't remember seeing any.

Bison bison
09-30-2010, 05:05 PM

Because last year he and the rest of the secondary looked like crap.

12 months ago I wondered what had happened to our safeties and corners.

Today, I know - DC Breske.

EndZoneQB
09-30-2010, 07:57 PM

I think Bohl mentioned they took away the soft coverage in the USD game which is what helped us shut them down in the 2nd half. He said they played closer to the line and just ran with the receivers. I'm not sure that will be possible in all of our games, but it's nice to know we are thinking about that.

roadwarrior
09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
I was real happy to see coach Ward speak at Teammakers last week. This is a big change for Bohl, to bring some of his assistant coaches to the weekly meetings. It really helps to get the new assistants in front of the fans so we get to know who they are. You could tell he was pretty exicted how his guys had been playing so far this season.

CaBisonFan
09-30-2010, 08:06 PM

I remember one specific play at the dome last year when another team threw a medium pass into the middle of the endzone. There were probably 4 defensive backs within a few yards of the receiver. Touchdown...and all 4 Bison players stared at each other in bewilderment. It was embarrassing. This guy has apparently done an outstanding job. To me...it's the most improved unit of the team.

Good post. Thanks

ISXBISON
09-30-2010, 09:06 PM
I was real happy to see coach Ward speak at Teammakers last week. This is a big change for Bohl, to bring some of his assistant coaches to the weekly meetings. It really helps to get the new assistants in front of the fans so we get to know who they are. You could tell he was pretty exicted how his guys had been playing so far this season.

Agreed!!!!!