PDA

View Full Version : Montana getting site visit from WAC

overquota
09-29-2010, 09:01 PM
"Benson said WAC officials will make campus visits to each of the schools and that invitations could then be extended "in the next 30 to 60 days."

"Texas-San Antonio and Texas State are each Football Championship Subdivision schools that are looking to make the move to Football Bowl Subdivision status. Benson said Montana — a member of the FCS Big Sky Conference — did not make a formal presentation to join the WAC and is conducting a feasibility study of whether it wants to make the move to FBS."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seattleuniversity/2013026139_seattleu30.html

Hammersmith
09-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Does anyone else think the WAC wants Montana way more than Montana wants the WAC? Getting a site visit when you didn't even make a formal presentation? I think Montana's going to stay put and the Big Sky will offer SUU within two months. WAC will take the Texas schools, and Denver & Seattle will be toss-ups. At least we can see the end of this wave of realignment coming to an end.

tony
09-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah, my guess is that if Montana wants it, they'll get a WAC invitation because so far everytime a conference does a site visit, they offer a conference spot.

Herd
09-29-2010, 10:41 PM
If I look into the Bison future and compare being in the WAC to an All-MVC bid, it's not even close. I'd take the MVC way before the WAC, especially with a brand new Basketball arena on the horizon. Bottom of the barrel FBS football with bad basketball and traveling all over God's green earth in 3-4 times zones does nothing for me. I can't begin to understand why a central time zone school like NDSU sees visions of granduer in today's WAC.

Gully
09-29-2010, 11:32 PM
If I look into the Bison future and compare being in the WAC to an All-MVC bid, it's not even close. I'd take the MVC way before the WAC, especially with a brand new Basketball arena on the horizon. Bottom of the barrel FBS football with bad basketball and traveling all over God's green earth in 3-4 times zones does nothing for me. I can't begin to understand why a central time zone school like NDSU sees visions of granduer in today's WAC.

Does NDSU feel that way about the WAC?

roadwarrior
09-29-2010, 11:34 PM
I think some NDSU fans think that of the WAC.

KTF
09-30-2010, 02:18 PM
What can the Big Sky do to sweeten the pot for Montana to stay? I can't see them letting Montana go without a fight. Look at Texas. The Big Twelve gave them more TV revenue to stay, I can see the Big Sky doing the same sort of thing to keep Montana..

bisonmike2
09-30-2010, 02:21 PM
I think some NDSU fans think that of the WAC.

The WAC is WACK!

WYOBISONMAN
09-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Good god, the WAC sucks. It is a joke of a FBS conference.

overquota
09-30-2010, 02:32 PM
I disagree, I think Montana is gone from FCS. They are viewing more life with more scholarships, more asst coaches. Greater visibility. Higher ranked non-conference opponents.

If towns like, Manhattan KS can host an FBS school so can Fargo or Bozeman.

dmksioux
09-30-2010, 02:39 PM
What can the Big Sky do to sweeten the pot for Montana to stay? I can't see them letting Montana go without a fight. Look at Texas. The Big Twelve gave them more TV revenue to stay, I can see the Big Sky doing the same sort of thing to keep Montana..

Add North Dakota and South Dakota to the Big Sky...at least as football affiliates. :)

Personally I would prefer the Summit/MVFC for UND. As far as where we end up, it's going to be whoever offers first...

KTF
09-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Add North Dakota and South Dakota to the Big Sky...at least as football affiliates. :)

Personally I would prefer the Summit/MVFC for UND. As far as where we end up, it's going to be whoever offers first...

It is looking more and more like UND could possibly get a call from the Big Sky if in fact Montana does bolt. Good for NDSU and UND... ;-)

cbline
09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
It is looking more and more like UND could possibly get a call from the Big Sky if in fact Montana does bolt. Good for NDSU and UND... ;-)

But what would be the overall "value" of the Big Sky if the premiere member leaves? Would it be considered a lesser conference come auto-bid time??

tony
09-30-2010, 04:28 PM
But what would be the overall "value" of the Big Sky if the premiere member leaves? Would it be considered a lesser conference come auto-bid time??

Somebody usually steps up when the big dog leaves.

tjbison
09-30-2010, 04:38 PM
I really hope they go to the WAC, its not a jump up except in money and then I hope the UXD's go to the even fluffier BSC, and as for the conference I believe now the Davis and Poly are stable and in a auto bid they will take over control

dmksioux
09-30-2010, 05:20 PM

I guess what I was getting at is that the Montana schools have always been open on expanding to the Dakotas. Perhaps that is how the Big Sky can "sweeten the pot" to get Montana to stay. As I said earlier, I prefer the Summit/MVFC combo to the Big Sky...and even more so to a Montana less Big Sky.

Tatanka
09-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Sweeten the pot by adding UxD? Why? Because Montana needs two more virtually guaranteed conference wins? Methinks someone is overstating their value and appeal.

KTF
09-30-2010, 05:40 PM

I am not a conference person so this is my personal thought on the situation. There are other great minds on this board that seem to know tons more then I about this topic/

The BSC wouldn't be so dominated in football with Montana gone.

Adding Cal Poly and UC Davis appears to help out the conference as both have strong football programs and are solid schools in California. (What the California university system financial position is unknown). I don't follow their other programs so I have no idea what other values they add as conference affiliation appears to be about the whole university and not the athletic department only.

Adding UND seems to make sense as a football only member but if they don't have a travel partner with USD it doesn't seem to make sense for an all conference affilliation. However the BSC may not worry about this and extend an invitation...

If Montana State does or does not go seems to make a big difference in UND vs. SUU or UND/USD vs. SUU...

just my limited $.02

KTF
09-30-2010, 05:43 PM
I guess what I was getting at is that the Montana schools have always been open on expanding to the Dakotas. Perhaps that is how the Big Sky can "sweeten the pot" to get Montana to stay. As I said earlier, I prefer the Summit/MVFC combo to the Big Sky...and even more so to a Montana less Big Sky.

Don't kid yourself in thinking that the BSC conference is open to expanding to the dakota schools. They slammed the door pretty hard on NDSU/SDSU.

tony
09-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Don't kid yourself in thinking that the BSC conference is open to expanding to the dakota schools. They slammed the door pretty hard on NDSU/SDSU.

I could see actually see Montana trying to get such a concession from the rest of the conference if they have no intention of going FBS. If their goal is the FBS, the UxDs aren't going to tip the scales, of course.

Good luck, UND! Not having a conference is no fun whatsoever (as Bison fans can readily attest.)

dmksioux
09-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Sorry to keep quoting your posts, but just trying to clarify. Yes the BSC has been against expansion to the Dakotas but the Montana Schools have actually been open to that idea. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Montana and Montana State both were in favor of adding NDSU/SDSU. In order to sweeten the pot, perhaps offering UND/USD membership would give Montana some incentive to stay in the BSC.

With all the movement, UND/USD should be able to find a home soon. As long as it's not the Southland Conference (as it's also been thrown around :confused: ), I will be happy.

Bison bison
09-30-2010, 06:37 PM
That Southland thing is batsh#t crazy.

UND will have a home in the Summit soon enough.

The Big Sky isn't going to add only one Dakota school. And even UND should have enough patience to wait two months for their Summit invite.

Tatanka
09-30-2010, 06:40 PM
In order to sweeten the pot, perhaps offering UND/USD membership would give Montana some incentive to stay in the BSC.

OK. I'm done smacking for now. Please help me understand this. Seriously.

BadlandsBison
09-30-2010, 06:53 PM

1. Combine UxD's Underpants

2. ...

3. Big Sky Conference

tjbison
09-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah I'm not getting the whole UND/USD will keep UM in FCS thing, if anything it will make them look at the Jump as affiliation with pour football and sub 300 RPI BBall
isn't exactly "sweetening the Pot" for them

dmksioux
09-30-2010, 07:24 PM

If Montana wants to stay in the Big Sky and go to a two division format with 12 teams, someone needs to be added. There are not many options for FCS schools in the West. UND is a "Tier 1 University" (ranked #159, MSU #183, UM #191). UND is a flagship school in a state with a budget surplus (stability). UND has a solid fan base in the West and a familiar opponent for many Griz Fans.

Oh and of course the biggest reason...we have hockey!;)

Weren't the Montana schools in favor of adding NDSU/SDSU?

KTF
09-30-2010, 07:53 PM
If Montana wants to stay in the Big Sky and go to a two division format with 12 teams, someone needs to be added. There are not many options for FCS schools in the West. UND is a "Tier 1 University" (ranked #159, MSU #183, UM #191). UND is a flagship school in a state with a budget surplus (stability). UND has a solid fan base in the West and a familiar opponent for many Griz Fans.

Oh and of course the biggest reason...we have hockey!;)

Weren't the Montana schools in favor of adding NDSU/SDSU?

Now that I recall, Montana and Montana State were in favor but they were the only two that publicly supported the dakota schools. The rest seemed to snub their nose. Montana leaving only weakens the support and if state goes, it seems like the support is all but dead.

Now if they stay but want a 12 team 2 division football team that would be UND's best chance for invite in my mind.

By the way, where do you get the "tier I university" rankings? I would like to see where other schools in the region rank ;-)

Why would USD turn down their invite to the summit to go to the Big Sky? Seriously... I didn't realize that UND and USD were in this together like the SU's were...

dmksioux
09-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Since you asked...here is a link. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/compare/items+10300+2536+3005+3471+9265
The SoDak schools aren't Tier One in this ranking...

USD/UND aren't in it together. If we end up in the Big Sky, I would hope that USD would also end up there, but we aren't a "package deal" as the SU's were.

imabison
09-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Since you asked...here is a link. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/compare/items+10300+2536+3005+3471+9265
The SoDak schools aren't Tier One in this ranking...

USD/UND aren't in it together. If we end up in the Big Sky, I would hope that USD would also end up there, but we aren't a "package deal" as the SU's were.

Ok, say the Big Sky tell the skol up north your in IF you can bring USD with you, and USD agrees, who is going to come up with the exit money for USD to leave the summit league. I do believe they have been officially accepted, but
have they paid their fees yet?

Lots of unseen questions to be answered anyway you look.

WYOBISONMAN
10-01-2010, 01:50 AM
I don't think Montana gives one shit about UND or USD.

tjbison
10-01-2010, 01:54 AM

^^^^^^^THIS

DIBISON
10-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Now that I recall, Montana and Montana State were in favor but they were the only two that publicly supported the dakota schools. The rest seemed to snub their nose. Montana leaving only weakens the support and if state goes, it seems like the support is all but dead.

Now if they stay but want a 12 team 2 division football team that would be UND's best chance for invite in my mind.

By the way, where do you get the "tier I university" rankings? I would like to see where other schools in the region rank ;-)

Why would USD turn down their invite to the summit to go to the Big Sky? Seriously... I didn't realize that UND and USD were in this together like the SU's were...

I don't think that USD would give up Summit membership either, especially considering they'd be joining SDSU & NDSU in the same conference. Football is another issue all together for both UND & USD. Even if UND gets an invite to the Summit that doesn't solve their football issue, even if the Summit sponsors football it won't be a legit conference.

MN_BISON
10-01-2010, 02:23 AM
What year is Montana scheduled to come to NDSU? I hope Gene slipped in a huge buyout because I don't think the Griz will be coming if they're in the WAC.

DIBISON
10-01-2010, 02:25 AM
I believe 2013.

No_Skill
10-01-2010, 02:47 AM

...but teh hockies!!! TEH HOCKIES!!!!!!

TbonZach
10-01-2010, 03:34 AM
...but teh hockies!!! TEH HOCKIES!!!!!!

Won't someone please think of teh hockies?!?!?!

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/thinkofthechildren.jpg

WYOBISONMAN
10-01-2010, 03:46 AM
MY GOD TEH HOCKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://lamumar.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/scared-monkey.png

dmksioux
10-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTF http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=406952#post406952)

So if the poster (see link below) who is starting rumors on the UND/USD/SUU to the Big Sky is correct, it appears as though I wasn't too far off :) :hide:
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46294&start=75

Tatanka
10-26-2010, 12:09 AM
teh hockies?

tjbison
10-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTF http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=406952#post406952)

So if the poster (see link below) who is starting rumors on the UND/USD/SUU to the Big Sky is correct, it appears as though I wasn't too far off :) :hide:
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46294&start=75

Ok, Montana and Montana St. are not in need of UND and USD PERIOD understand. The BSC is in desperation mode for some reason, weather it be UM and MSU leaving for the WAC (which leaves the BSC a whole bunch of junk) or THEY UM and MSU have stayed and a couple of the Financially strapped schools in the league are dropping FB now that the BSC has decided they will take FB only members. TRUST ME ITS NOT BECAUSE SUU UND AND USD ARE POWERHOUSES otherwise the Valley would have lapped you up in a heart beat.

dmksioux
10-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Ok, Montana and Montana St. are not in need of UND and USD PERIOD understand. The BSC is in desperation mode for some reason, weather it be UM and MSU leaving for the WAC (which leaves the BSC a whole bunch of junk) or THEY UM and MSU have stayed and a couple of the Financially strapped schools in the league are dropping FB now that the BSC has decided they will take FB only members. TRUST ME ITS NOT BECAUSE SUU UND AND USD ARE POWERHOUSES otherwise the Valley would have lapped you up in a heart beat.

:)
When or where did I say anything about Montana/MSU wanting us because we are a powerhouse? Perhaps its because we are academic peers? Who knows the reason... Or even if its true. Its just an internet rumor at this point. Just thought I would have some fun with my earlier prediction of the Montana schools lobbying for the Dakotas.

MN_BISON
10-26-2010, 03:12 AM
Question, what the heck happened to site visits? I keep reading about announcements coming later this week but has any official even set foot on campus at UND, SUU or USD? I have to think those in power at the big fluffy have heard about the crazy speed and said that's good enough for them. I mean even if they don't care about looking at the bunker and talking to Brian and his pals you'd think they'd want to hit the Red Pepper and Bonzers.

Tatanka
10-26-2010, 03:15 AM
Question, what the heck happened to site visits? I keep reading about announcements coming later this week but has any official even set foot on campus at UND, SUU or USD? I have to think those in power at the big fluffy have heard about the crazy speed and said that's good enough for them. I mean even if they don't care about looking at the bunker and talking to Brian and his pals you'd think they'd want to hit the Red Pepper and Bonzers.

Clearly, they met up in an undisclosed location in Hillsboro. Probably near the waste pits of the sugar beet plant so the UND contingent would feel at home even without the Simplot plant perfuming the air.

MN_BISON
10-26-2010, 03:29 AM
Well Terry V chimes in on Twitter regarding SUU: For what it's worth, SID says there is no truth to the rumor that Southern Utah has scheduled a press conference for a major announcement.

Remember, SUU doesn't have crazy speed so they might be on the outside looking in at the Big Fluffy.

dmksioux
10-26-2010, 03:40 AM

I read it somewhere not sure where, but supposedly Fullerton was at UND a week or two ago. It was a Monday/Tuesday visit. I think I saw it on Siouxsports but don't believe there was a link or source to go with it.