PDA

View Full Version : Is the track facility going to be the right size?

AKBison
09-28-2010, 05:09 PM
For those in the "know" about t&f and out fans of the sport, is a 200m indoor track the preferred indoor or acceptable indoor track size? I have no idea at all and was just curious. Everyone seems to be building a 300m track around a football field these days so I was curious how this compares.

99Bison
09-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Currently this is still being planned, but by the sounds of it this in an indoor track facility, 200M with 8 42 inch lanes, seating for 1800 (?? can't remember what he said). Ryun was asked about his wishlist for this and was pumped about this being the ultimate for them.

tony
09-28-2010, 06:01 PM
For those in the "know" about t&f and out fans of the sport, is a 200m indoor track the preferred indoor or acceptable indoor track size? I have no idea at all and was just curious. Everyone seems to be building a 300m track around a football field these days so I was curious how this compares.

Uh, I've never even heard of a 300 meter indoor track - it makes about as much sense as a 600 meter outdoor track (i.e. none whatsoever.) In fact, I'll go farther: It sounds like something designed by a committee who knows nothing about track at all.

From what I understand*, a time posted on a 300 meter track would not count either for a record or for qualifying for the NCAA indoor meet. The only records that could be set on such a track are those for that particular track and a conference meet could never be held there. In short, a 300 meter indoor track is not competition grade.

* Which isn't that much. I could definitely be wrong.

AKBison
09-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Makes perfect sense as to why we would want to go with a 200m track. Thanks!

Edit: I did a little more research on this as I was curious. This is from an article that was talking about Arkansas 300m indoor track.

There are only two other indoor facilities that have eight lanes — Clemson and Iowa State. Just four — Akron, Iowa State, Kentucky and Notre Dame — have tracks that are more than 200 meters. Iowa State's Lied Recreation Center is the only indoor college track in the country that has eight lanes and 300 meters. Akron goes six and 300, Kentucky six and 290 and Notre Dame six and 320.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2010/02/11/sports/nh2064201.txt

It sounds like a 200m 8 lane indoor track would indeed be top notch in the world of DI athletics. No wonder coach Ryun was pumped about this.It also sounds like a 300m track is legit for competition but 98% of indoor track is run on a 200m.

tony
09-28-2010, 07:24 PM
It sounds like a 200m 8 lane indoor track would indeed be top notch in the world of DI athletics. No wonder coach Ryun was pumped about this.It also sounds like a 300m track is legit for competition but 98% of indoor track is run on a 200m.

Yeah, I did some checking and I guess you can use a 300 meter track for qualifying times but not for records. To get a qualifying time, you just have to adjust them like you would for a banked track. Still makes no sense to me.

When in doubt, you'd think you'd go with what they run the World Indoor as well as NCAA Indoor track championships on.

The_Sicatoka
09-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Is it a competition facility or a training facility? That answer probably figures into track length selection.

99Bison
09-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Is it a competition facility or a training facility? That answer probably figures into track length selection.

Both.... dedicated facility.

Castor Troy
09-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I am not sure what Ryun's wish list would be. A 300 meter track is great for both workouts and competition. Since the turns are less sharp the times are faster and it also helps for injury prevention. There is a different qualifying standard for any kind of track you can think of: 300 meter, 200 meter flat, 200 meter banked, 160 meter flat, 160 meter banked.

I think that a 200 meter banked track would be the best option unless the facility will have multiple uses such as intermural b-ball, etc. Manitoba has one and everyone seems to like it.

roadwarrior
09-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I would bet budget constraints wouldn't allow for a 300 meter track.

tony
09-28-2010, 10:50 PM
I am not sure what Ryun's wish list would be. A 300 meter track is great for both workouts and competition. Since the turns are less sharp the times are faster and it also helps for injury prevention. There is a different qualifying standard for any kind of track you can think of: 300 meter, 200 meter flat, 200 meter banked, 160 meter flat, 160 meter banked.

I think that a 200 meter banked track would be the best option unless the facility will have multiple uses such as intermural b-ball, etc. Manitoba has one and everyone seems to like it.

200 banked... that would be cool!

sambini
09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Like the one in Lincoln banked with hydralics..

tony
09-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Like the one in Lincoln banked with hydralics..

Or we could go old school like they do at Madison Square Garden... nice thing about that is that you could go crazy and set the track up at the FargoDome if you wanted.

Bisonguy
09-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Or we could go old school like they do at Madison Square Gardens... nice thing about that is that you could go crazy and set the track up at the FargoDome if you wanted.

Don't be getting too crazy. IIRC a 300m indoor modular banked track was one of 1234's repeating topics, along with getting rid of books in libraries, etc.

Tatanka
09-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Don't be getting too crazy. IIRC a 300m indoor modular banked track was one of 1234's repeating topics, along with getting rid of books in libraries, etc.

Did someone mention FieldTurf? :hide:

DORMIE
09-29-2010, 01:25 AM
It's late after a couple of adult beverages, but do you think that they would actually proceed with an indoor track facilitity without an input from Ryan and Lars. Some of you guys have to get a grip. They will build the best facility with the finances available.

sambini
10-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Lars and Ryan are involved. It will be nice...

Castor Troy
11-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Lars and Ryan are involved. It will be nice...

I saw Lars at tailgating on Saturday and he says that it will be a 200 meter flat 8-lane track.

Bison05
12-04-2010, 02:48 AM
Athletes LOVE running on a 300-meter track. It's a lot easier on joints, there is less congestion and, due to the fewer turns, it's a lot faster (hence the adjusted qualifying standards like was mentioned earlier in the post).

The biggest pain in the butt with the BSA track was it was actually measured to 220 yards... which isn't quite the same distance as 200 meters so all of the races (200m, 400m, 800m) had a different finish line.

A 300-meter would be nice, but not really necessary. Lars, Godrey and Stevie are pumped to have this new facility. It will be HUGE for recruiting for a program that is currently a powerhouse and has been for a long time!

tony
12-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Athletes LOVE running on a 300-meter track. It's a lot easier on joints, there is less congestion and, due to the fewer turns, it's a lot faster (hence the adjusted qualifying standards like was mentioned earlier in the post).

Just for the record, I loved running on 200 meter tracks... made me feel fast... but then I wasn't much of an athlete. :)

Bison bison
12-10-2010, 01:45 AM

Actually, I heard that Gene really screwed up the plans.

He thought that " meant feet.