PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Autobid Question

Answer Guy
09-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Right now SIU is 1-3, and their win does not qualify.

Say they go 6-1 the rest of the way to finish 7-4, 6-2 in conference. Everyone else goes 5-3 or worse.

Does the autobid outweigh the lack of 7 qualifying wins, or are they just out of luck?

Bison bison
09-27-2010, 04:40 PM
gotta have 7.

Hammersmith
09-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Say they go 6-1 the rest of the way to finish 7-4, 6-2 in conference. Everyone else goes 5-3 or worse.

Does the autobid outweigh the lack of 7 qualifying wins, or are they just out of luck?

Autobid trumps everything. You can have a losing season and still win the autobid if the cards fall right. The 7 DI wins is a guideline for the selection committee when it comes to choosing the at-large seletions.

mebisonII
09-27-2010, 04:42 PM
gotta have 7.

Autobid trumps everything. You can have a losing season and still win the autobid if the cards fall right. The 7 DI wins is a guideline for the selection committee when it comes to choosing the at-large seletions.

Deathmatch on the autobid question.

Hammersmith
09-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Deathmatch on the autobid question.

I'm taking the rusty barbed wire.

Bison bison
09-27-2010, 04:48 PM
he's right.

do i get consolation points because SIU is going to go 4-7 and the issue is moot.

SDBisonbacker
09-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Tallking to people, with knowledge, on Saturday night The MVFC has sent three the past couple of years...the Autobid and two at large. Witht he strength at the top this year it should be no different.

Hammersmith
09-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Tallking to people, with knowledge, on Saturday night The MVFC has sent three the past couple of years...the Autobid and two at large. Witht he strength at the top this year it should be no different.

It's actually been only two teams the last few years. You have to go back to 2006 to find the last year we had three teams in it(ISU-red, SIU, YSU). Over the last decade, the MVFC has averaged 2.4 teams per year. Even with the extra two at-large bids this year, I'm starting to think this won't be the year we get back to three. There are just so few good OOC wins among the MVFC this year.

SDBisonbacker
09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
It's actually been only two teams the last few years. You have to go back to 2006 to find the last year we had three teams in it(ISU-red, SIU, YSU). Over the last decade, the MVFC has averaged 2.4 teams per year. Even with the extra two at-large bids this year, I'm starting to think this won't be the year we get back to three. There are just so few good OOC wins among the MVFC this year.

Sorry the information was wrong. We were people from the Athletic Department Saturday night and that is what they told us.

HerdBot
09-27-2010, 05:23 PM

If you win the conference you get in, no matter what. The at large requires 7 D1 wins.

SIU has 0 D1 wins right now. They needs 7 and they only have 7 games left. If they lose 1 game they will be out of the at large contention. But if they go 6-1 or 5-2, they would have a chance to win the conference. I wouldn't count these guys out just yet. Anything can happen in conference play but they have some tough games ahead of them.

SDSU is in a little better shape than SIU. They are going to have to go 7-1 for any chance at an at large.

Illinois State is in a great position with 2 D1 wins and 2 conference wins. Most of their tough gmes are at home and the only tough road games they have are at Northern Iowa and Western Illinois.

Youngstown is in great shape with 3 D1 wins. Missouri State is still in the mix too. Tought to read them but they took Illinois State to double OT and lost.

The MVFC is completely wide open right now. As good as we're going right now we still have zero conference wins. We're in a good position for an at large bid. Realistically if we go 4-3 we could get in as an at large. I wold feel more comfortable going 5-2 with 8 D1 wins.

Northern Iowa is in great shape. If they go 6-2 they will get an at large bid.

Hammersmith
09-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Sorry the information was wrong. We were people from the Athletic Department Saturday night and that is what they told us.

I thought it was regularly three teams as well, but I typed up a post about it last night and decided to doublecheck my facts just before I submitted it. I was pretty surprised by what I found. It turns out we get a very good percentage of our teams in the playoffs(30%), but we've also been in a slump lately. It was just coincidence that you posted your comment about 12 hours after I happened to look all the info up. No offense meant by my earlier post.

lakesbison
09-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Why aren't u on the great west site asking this;? Or.is your man hump partner lennon your only vice for d1 fball

Hammersmith
09-27-2010, 05:54 PM
If you win the conference you get in, no matter what. The at large requires 7 D1 wins.

SIU has 0 D1 wins right now. They needs 7 and they only have 7 games left. If they lose 1 game they will be out of the at large contention. But if they go 6-1 or 5-2, they would have a chance to win the conference. I wouldn't count these guys out just yet. Anything can happen in conference play but they have some tough games ahead of them.

SDSU is in a little better shape than SIU. They are going to have to go 7-1 for any chance at an at large.

Illinois State is in a great position with 2 D1 wins and 2 conference wins. Most of their tough gmes are at home and the only tough road games they have are at Northern Iowa and Western Illinois.

Youngstown is in great shape with 3 D1 wins. Missouri State is still in the mix too. Tought to read them but they took Illinois State to double OT and lost.

The MVFC is completely wide open right now. As good as we're going right now we still have zero conference wins. We're in a good position for an at large bid. Realistically if we go 4-3 we could get in as an at large. I wold feel more comfortable going 5-2 with 8 D1 wins.

Okay, you've convinced me, we still could get 3 teams in. Maybe UNI, YSU and us? I just hope we don't get the wrong combination of wins and losses(SIU winning enough to mess up our records, but not enough to get a bid, etc.).

BisonNeil
09-27-2010, 06:27 PM
gotta have 7.

Wrong, autobid is an autobid.

Bisonguy
09-27-2010, 06:28 PM

An at-large berth does not technically require 7 DI wins, but the teams do usually have 7 DI wins that are being considered. Here's the info for at-large berths from last year's FCS championship handbook: (http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2009/09_1AA_Football.pdf)

At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I football committee, assisted by four
regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to
complete the bracket;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one
conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of
not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
Division I opponents; and
5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote
for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.
6. For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it,
a guaranteed at-large position shall be awarded in any year in which its conference
champion team meets all of the following conditions:
a. Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;
b. Team wins a minimum of two non-conference games against Division I teams
representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year;
and
c. Team finishes the season ranked 16 or higher in an average of the last regularseason
media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by the
committee on an annual basis). For 2009, the media poll will be the Sports
Network Poll, the coaches poll will be the FCS Coaches poll and the computer
poll will be a variation of the Gridiron Power Index – using only the following.........

Bisonguy
09-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Okay, you've convinced me, we still could get 3 teams in. Maybe UNI, YSU and us? I just hope we don't get the wrong combination of wins and losses(SIU winning enough to mess up our records, but not enough to get a bid, etc.).

The CAA might have seven in this year, taking away nearly everyone's chance at an at-large spot. :hide:

Hammersmith
09-27-2010, 06:34 PM
The CAA might have seven in this year, taking away nearly everyone's chance at an at-large spot. :hide:

You ain't kidding. The CAA is nasty this year. We can only hope their non-divisional format this season ends up knocking a few of them down.

X-Factor
09-27-2010, 08:17 PM
gotta have 7.

edit: Looks like Bisonguy beat me to it!

Answer Guy
09-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Why aren't u on the great west site asking this;? Or.is your man hump partner lennon your only vice for d1 fball

I wasn't aware SIU moved to the Great West. Probably have to be an NDSU graduate to know that.

My bad.

lakesbison
09-27-2010, 09:43 PM
No, why is a UND fan trying to post crap about DALE LENNON on our website. your love affair is cute.

admin
09-27-2010, 10:57 PM

Here's an idea: If and when you ever get back from having your posts moderated, you can put AnswerGuy on ignore.

Twentysix
09-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Best scenario in zee world! Uni does right the ship, we get the AQ and get home playoff games. UNI is on the other side of the bracket, Both teams meet in the NC and the first time since transition we beat UNI is for a title.

DjKyRo
09-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Nothing would be more satisfactory than having the tables turned and knocking UNI out of the playoffs in the Fargodome in front of a sellout crowd.

heckler
09-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Here's an idea: If and when you ever get back from having your posts moderated, you can put AnswerGuy on ignore.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OldBison
09-28-2010, 12:22 AM
No, why is a UND fan trying to post crap about DALE LENNON on our website. your love affair is cute.

No different than the one you had with Mertens and Mohler. How'd that work out for you :hide:

ndsubison1
09-28-2010, 12:45 AM
How about put lakes on moderation until saturday so he can post live during tailgating and the game

admin
09-28-2010, 12:48 AM
No different than the one you had with Mertens and Mohler. How'd that work out for you :hide:

And you can join Lakes.

tjbison
09-28-2010, 12:49 AM
And you can join Lakes.

WOW angry elf you laying the smack down???

:hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide:

CaBisonFan
09-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Does our win at Kansas count for anything in the at-large category? DI...meaning 'any' DI ??

BisBison
09-28-2010, 03:22 AM
Does our win at Kansas count for anything in the at-large category? DI...meaning 'any' DI ??

It's a counter.:nod:

CaBisonFan
09-28-2010, 03:27 AM

Lakes...it's OK man. Lennon is an opportunist who just happened to land in a great situation. Same at UND. He came in when the Bison were going through some problems. He's a good coach, and he's also looking for the big-time contract. If he doesn't win the big one at SIU really soon he'll try to jump to a mid-level FBS school for a million or two.

In the old 'fire & ice' video he said something like this..."NDSU grads work on the farm...and UND grads own the farm." I lost respect for him because of that arrogance. Rocky had nothing but class on that movie.

Don Morton, Rocky Hager, Solomonson, Erhardt, and other great coaches throughout Bison history wouldn't have done that. I'll put Bohl on that list too.

Lennon isn't worth spending any more time on. He's probably a decent guy, a 'good' coach, and that's all. He inherited big-time talent at SIU. Let the Undy folks hang their hat on him. Did you watch the empty Alerus last Saturday on TV? OMG...it was unbelievable. They're 'really' struggling with finances & fan support in the transition.

Don't get yourself in trouble over him. He ain't worth it. Get yourself off the moderated list. You're better than this...:nod:

lakesbison
09-28-2010, 03:34 AM
yea ca.

i agree. maybe its a 24 hour thing. just wish und fans couldnt troll.

BraxtonT
09-28-2010, 04:01 AM
Hey Ca, I thought you were wrong about that quote on Lennon, so I popped in the old tape. You're right, of course, it was Lennon. I don't hold that against him too much, as it was the quote they were looking for for the documentary.

Anyway, I hadn't watched that segment in years, but 'Wow' that was a fun time in Bison-Sioux history. Though it was good to 'turn off' the series these last few years, there is a generation of ND kids growing up without the greatest rivalry these parts have ever seen. That being said, "Go 'yotes"!! and as always...

....Go Bison!!!

BraxtonT
09-28-2010, 04:06 AM
One more thing, whatever happened to the "Hawaiian shirt guys"? Surely, at least one of you is a contributing member here in Bisonville.

ISXBISON
09-28-2010, 04:51 AM
yea ca.

A lot of people feel the same about you Lakes--not just on other message boards:nod: :nod: :nod:

CaBisonFan
09-28-2010, 05:07 AM
yea ca.

I've been where you are lakes. I understand the emotions. Let it go. Who gives a shit what happens up there? I don't. They have their flagship program, and we have ours. We've had big success in some other sports too. The Big Dance, softball, volleyball, wrestling, women's basketball, etc.

Let's hang our hat on that.

You've put up some really, really, really good posts lately. Keep it here. Focus on the Bison. Keep feeding us the inside information that you get. It's enough.

Don't go to other teams' forums and piss them off. They don't matter. What matters happens here.

I went to SDSU's forum last Saturday to wish them luck against Nebraska. That's it. They showed no appreciation at all. Nadda...so screw it totally.

I used to go to the gopherhole way back, and to the Siouxforum...er something like that. Got into some smack and it was fun for a while. But it was really a waste of my time. And all it does is make us look bad. I stopped about 4 years ago at the gopherhole...and about 5 years ago on the sioux site.

It ain't worth it. Put your energy here. We need all kinds of opinions and information here. Yours are just as good as anyone's. You can be really important here. People on the other sites don't care who you are. We do.

CaBisonFan
09-28-2010, 05:18 AM
Hey Ca, I thought you were wrong about that quote on Lennon, so I popped in the old tape. You're right, of course, it was Lennon. I don't hold that against him too much, as it was the quote they were looking for for the documentary.

Anyway, I hadn't watched that segment in years, but 'Wow' that was a fun time in Bison-Sioux history. Though it was good to 'turn off' the series these last few years, there is a generation of ND kids growing up without the greatest rivalry these parts have ever seen. That being said, "Go 'yotes"!! and as always...

....Go Bison!!!

Hey Brax,

I agree...it wasn't really that big of a deal. Just a little dose of normal arrogance that can pop out of anyone's mouth at the right (or wrong) time. Was just trying to get a point across to lakes.

And yeah...it's really too bad that the games stopped. What a frickin mess this whole thing caused. To think that we could have teamed with UND for this transition. It would have been a 'natural.' Both schools in the Big Sky...with the natural rivalry with Montana's schools. Frickin' beautiful. Oh well.

North Dakotans shouldn't have to be this angry with each other over athletics. We have two 'great' large universities. That should be good enough. I'm actually a Sioux hockey fan. My son is in his last year of law school there. He loves it up there...and he's always been a hockey freak. So I've gotta be.

So do I care about UND? Yes

But when it comes to the other sports, I'm purely green & gold...yup...gold.

Sorry to all you 'yellow' folks.....:cool:

I can't get the image of the 80s teams out of my head. Their unis were green & gold. Maybe I've been in the sun too long down here.

Capn_Cat
09-28-2010, 05:29 AM
Just relax, everyone. UNI has this year in the bag. Think "at large".

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

:innocent:

mgbison
09-28-2010, 05:34 AM
i'm cool with at large. Quick question? Isn't there some sort of bidding for home field in the playoffs, instead of the higher seed just getting to play at home.

If that's the case, it would definitely help our cause if we were an at large. I'm guessing we would be able to outbid the majority of FCS schools.

stevdock
09-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes there is bidding in the playoffs. The first round they try and match up teams as often as possible to have a bus ride as long as it is not a conference opponent. They also seed the top four teams but that's it. Then both teams bid to have the playoff game at home. And I heard that when we get into the playoffs Taylor is going to be VERY aggressive to make sure we get as many home games as we can.

Answer Guy
09-28-2010, 04:57 PM
I am one of those people that often wake up feeling like I don’t know everything. So when this scenario occurred to me, I decided to ask people who might know what would happen. My question got discussed and answered, and I appreciate it.

The reason I used Southern Illinois as an example is that they seem to be the only team that could mathematically and/or realistically be in that situation this season.

just wish und fans couldnt troll.
Where is the trolling? I did not mention UND. I did not mention Dale Lennon. If you would like to check, they came up in posts #12 and #18.

When visiting another school’s board, having an interest and being respectful will go a long way, as I’m sure you have found also.

Bison"FANatic"
09-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Is your signature line real or is that made up? If real..... my oh my:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

DjKyRo
09-28-2010, 06:11 PM
FWIW I thought this was an entirely legitimate question. Heck, I wondered what would happen too when I first read it.

lakesbison
09-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Yea fanatic. I stuck up for my deceased father that HE made fun of and despicable jokes. So at least I did it privately. He's less than a man to post a pm in public on his every post in his signature.
But none of you stick up for me, and yet he's still here laughing at every post you let him het away with. Yet I get moderated every other week.

Wheres the bison pride to stick up for me?

56BISON73
09-28-2010, 07:49 PM
A very legit question no matter where it came from. Glad that there were some people who could give us the correct answer.

gotts
09-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I am one of those people that often wake up feeling like I don’t know everything. So when this scenario occurred to me, I decided to ask people who might know what would happen. My question got discussed and answered, and I appreciate it.

The reason I used Southern Illinois as an example is that they seem to be the only team that could mathematically and/or realistically be in that situation this season.

Where is the trolling? I did not mention UND. I did not mention Dale Lennon. If you would like to check, they came up in posts #12 and #18.

When visiting another school’s board, having an interest and being respectful will go a long way, as I’m sure you have found also.

Can I get this in a recording??? :D

Answer Guy
09-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Is your signature line real or is that made up? If real..... my oh my:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

It's 100% real.

Hammersmith
09-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Yes there is bidding in the playoffs. The first round they try and match up teams as often as possible to have a bus ride as long as it is not a conference opponent. They also seed the top four teams but that's it. Then both teams bid to have the playoff game at home. And I heard that when we get into the playoffs Taylor is going to be VERY aggressive to make sure we get as many home games as we can.

This used to be true, and may still be true; I haven't been able to find the 2010 FCS Championship Handbook to confirm(I hate the new ncaa.org site design). With the 16 team format, the top 4 teams were seeded, and the remaining 12 teams submitted bids for the other 4 games. The 8 non-seeded, non-winning teams were geographically sorted to minimize travel distance. Under that system, it was almost guaranteed that NDSU would get a first-round home game if we made the playoffs. After that, it depended on if we were one of the seeds, or if the seed in our part of the bracket had gotten knocked out.

With the expansion to 20 teams, more teams will have to be seeded to give us the play-in games; it's just unknown(at least to me) whether or not all teams will be. It could mean that the bidding system will completely go away, or it might not. Until the handbook is out, we won't know for sure. Last year, the handbook was first posted on Sep 22, so it should be out soon, if not already. If it is out and someone has seen it, would you mind dropping the link?

Bison"FANatic"
09-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I am interested to see how the info Hammersmith wants turns out. Just from my own personal opinion and no sited reference or anything concrete....... There will still be bidding. The NCAA is all about the $ and they would not want to give a huge guaranteed gates at some programs around the country. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. I just hope we are in the mix at the end and that we can end this dang drought of no home playoff games.

Now I wait for those that know to enlighten us on the new system.

Bisonguy
09-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Pretty sure they were only going to add two seeds at most. There's been banter about seeding the entire field for some time, but nothing has ever happened from it.

I'm also anxiously awaiting the 2010 FCS championship handbook now that the field has expanded. I also have to agree with Hammer that the revamped NCAA site sucks.

Hammersmith
09-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Just to be a bit clearer, when I said more will have to be seeded under a 20-team system, I was talking about from the bottom. If you're going to have 4 play-in games, then you have to identify the bottom 8 teams by merit. While you might not give them numbers, you still are effectively seeding them. That's what I meant by more seeds.

I guess if I were doing it, I would use bidding to determine the location of all of the play-in games. Then the winner of that game would face a seeded team. The other first-round game would also be determined by a bid. From that point on, either the seed would get home field advantage, or you'd go back to bids if the seed was knocked out in the first round. Who knows what the committee will do, though.

Something like this(x4):

seed
----
\
\
----
---- / \
\ / \
bid ---- \
/ \
---- ----
/
---- /
\ /
\ /
bid ----
/
/
----

Tatanka
09-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Just to be a bit clearer, when I said more will have to be seeded under a 20-team system, I was talking about from the bottom. If you're going to have 4 play-in games, then you have to identify the bottom 8 teams by merit. While you might not give them numbers, you still are effectively seeding them. That's what I meant by more seeds.

I guess if I were doing it, I would use bidding to determine the location of all of the play-in games. Then the winner of that game would face a seeded team. The other first-round game would also be determined by a bid. From that point on, either the seed would get home field advantage, or you'd go back to bids if the seed was knocked out in the first round. Who knows what the committee will do, though.

Something like this(x4):

seed
----
\
\
----
---- / \
\ / \
bid ---- \
/ \
---- ----
/
---- /
\ /
\ /
bid ----
/
/
----

Your ASCII art kung fu is powerful.

No_Skill
09-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Your ASCII art kung fu is powerful.

...but mine is much betta.

___,,___
,d8888888888b,_
_,d889' 8888b,
_,d8888' 8888888b,
_,d8889' 888888888888b,_
_,d8889' 888888889'688888, /b
_,d8889' 88888889' `6888d 6,_
,d88886' _d888889' ,8d b888b, d\
,d889'888, d8889' 8d 9888888Y )
,d889' `88, ,d88' d8 `,88aa88 9
d889' `88, ,88' `8b )88a88'
d88' `88 ,88 88 `8b,_ d888888
d89 88, 88 d888b `88`_ 8888
88 88b 88 d888888 8: (6`) 88')
88 8888b, 88 d888aaa8888, ` 'Y'
88b ,888888888888 `d88aa `88888b ,d8
`88b ,88886 `88888888 d88a d8a88` `8/
`q8b ,88'`888 `888'"`88 d8b d8888,` 88/ 9)_6
88 ,88" `88 88p `88 d88888888888bd8( Z~/
88b 8p 88 68' `88 88888888' `688889`
`88 8 `8 8, `88 888 `8888, `qp'
8 8, `q 8b `88 88" `888b
q8 8b "888 `8888'
"888 `q88b
"888'

yeah, I stole it...big whoop, wanna fight about it?