PDA

View Full Version : Running game

NDSUFan_Sav
09-27-2010, 07:17 AM
While tailgating for the game on saturday I was mentioning how I wanted to see our running game blow up and surprise some people. Well I think they did just that, I was excited to see the running game do so well. A lot of people have given DJ a rough time and saying how you think others should be running the ball cuz he wasn't getting it done.

Well, he sure proved himself why he is our starting RB. One of the runs that stood out to me when he broke it outside (going to the north endzone) with his speed and he was looking for blocks down field well instead of waiting he just used more speed and picked up a big gain.

Someone (I think Kermit) brought up about Lang in another thread. Every practice I've been to that kid impresses me EVERY time he always hits it hard and gives it everything he has every down.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Good one Sav. It almost felt like DJ and the offensive line were telling us that we're wrong. Whatever their reason was...I'm just glad that they did it.

Kermit
09-27-2010, 01:59 PM
I think there were a number of factors that accounted for the improved running game against USD in the second half. DJ deserves a lot of credit for running well. The offensive line obviously blocked well, but I think they also made some adjustments in tactics. In the first half, USD's defensive front was frequently shifting one gap towards our strong side just before the snap and it was effective--much less so in the second half. You can't discount the impact of a couple Jensen to Holloway deep strikes on making the defense back up a little. Finally, our guys physically manhandled the Coyotes late. Whether it was because of superior conditioning or whether the Coyotes just got discouraged I'm not sure.

roadwarrior
09-27-2010, 02:12 PM
From the spring game stats:

Derrick Lang : 16 rushes for 78 yards, an average of 4.9

roadwarrior
09-27-2010, 02:13 PM
You can't discount the impact of a couple Jensen to Holloway deep strikes on making the defense back up a little.

This ^ ^ ^

bisondad
09-27-2010, 09:17 PM
This ^ ^ ^

"THIS " Made all the difference

bisoningrandforks
09-27-2010, 11:28 PM
your right bisondad!!

NDSUFan_Sav
09-27-2010, 11:38 PM
yes, our passing game helped a lot, but I felt our O-Line helped a lot too.

56BISON73
09-27-2010, 11:42 PM
yes, our passing game helped a lot, but I felt our O-Line helped a lot too.

When the passing game started to click they didnt blitz as much which took the pressure off the o-line. The o-line was improved but the passing game made there d loosen up and not play as tight.

BisonNeil
09-28-2010, 12:06 AM
From the spring game stats:

Derrick Lang : 16 rushes for 78 yards, an average of 4.9

And don't forget, a preferred walk-on!!

Herd
09-28-2010, 12:51 AM
My question is . . . who is our #2 if DJ gets dinged this year?

I know who I'd play, but what do you guys think? In all honesty, I think our #2 would be #22, but he's not playing much football this year. IMO, we'll miss him before the year is out.

Who is it? Can anyone else be featured for 20 carries this year and handle the load?
23 Voit
28 Sigers
42 Lang
24 Smith
#1 - just play him both ways

OrygunBison
09-28-2010, 04:08 PM
My question is . . . who is our #2 if DJ gets dinged this year?

I know who I'd play, but what do you guys think? In all honesty, I think our #2 would be #22, but he's not playing much football this year. IMO, we'll miss him before the year is out.

Who is it? Can anyone else be featured for 20 carries this year and handle the load?
23 Voit
28 Sigers
42 Lang
24 Smith
#1 - just play him both ways

I think that Sigers and Lang together would be a pretty good combo. I'd love to see Lang really get developed.

Esquire
09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
When are they going to give Sigers the ball up the middle.....he is pbly the fastest guy on the field. The only time he is utilized is on the reverse... and everyone in the stands knows its coming when he lines up at wide receiver. Granted he is small, but UNI's little guy had no problems running up the middle. Give him a chance.

westnodak93bison
09-28-2010, 04:21 PM
I know everyone is excited about the rushing production against USD but I don't think USD is a very good defense. UCF lit them up for over 200yds on the ground.

CAS4127
09-28-2010, 04:24 PM
"In the first half, USD's defensive front was frequently shifting one gap towards our strong side just before the snap and it was effective--much less so in the second half."

This is called a "stem" defensive front shift. Typically the offense knows or at least expects that it is coming, because, if it doesn't come, it is "Katie by the door" as far as a running play to the strong side (which is typical 90% or more of the time), as Dline would have to stunt in order to fill and manage the correct gaps.

"I think that Sigers and Lang together would be a pretty good combo"
I agree, and throw in a little (no pun intended) Smith for a slightly different look and style of running.

bisonaudit
09-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Katy bar the door.

CAS4127
09-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Katy bar the door.

R U "auditing" my posts for spelling or other errors? :hide:

bisonaudit
09-28-2010, 06:05 PM
R U "auditing" my posts for spelling or other errors? :hide:

Not at all. I thought it may have been one of those misheard lyric deals and honestly questioned if I had it correct or if you did so I looked it up.

CAS4127
09-28-2010, 06:09 PM
You have it correct--I was typing too fast and did not proofread--back to topic for others tho!

Go Bison and running game!! "Katy bar the door" as they say in the business!

Herd80
09-28-2010, 06:42 PM
When are they going to give Sigers the ball up the middle.....he is pbly the fastest guy on the field. The only time he is utilized is on the reverse... and everyone in the stands knows its coming when he lines up at wide receiver. Granted he is small, but UNI's little guy had no problems running up the middle. Give him a chance.

I was wondering why they kept running Sigers up the middle the first three games of the year...3-4 times a game for next to nothing in yardage. Some counter, off-tackle or quick pitch action...now I could go for that.