PDA

View Full Version : USD game recap (from the eyes of a Coyote)

yoteforever
09-26-2010, 09:24 PM
First of all, kudos to your team and coaching staff for what was an unbelieveable 2nd half. They really did what it took to wrestle control of the game. I had been on this board for 10 days or so, and after reading alot of posts and claims and such, I would make the following comments:

1.) #8 is plain ass fast, and can cut on a dime. We had not seen that in a player yet year to date.

2.) Your coaches either made 2nd half adjustments that earned their salary, or somene lit a torch in your teams ass. Either way, that was a very impressive 3rd quarter.

3.) Your tailgate is a fun scene and should be the envy of all FCS teams nationwide. I also go to Iowa State games where tailgating is first and the game 2nd, and although theirs might be larger, yours is first class.

4.) Your facilty you play in is very impressive. It's nice having a city of 100,000 + people that think progressively partner with the Univesity to build such a great facility. (that all being said, it is not very loud in there at least to what I thought was coming. The noise factor was not intimidating but it could be)

5.) I have heard SDSU fans rip your fan base apart, but I have to tell you they were good to me anyway. At half, when we led, either they didn't say much, or they asked if we were playing at the same level as we did against Minnesota. I heard very little COYOTES suck, or go home. Most thankedus for coming to Fargo.

6.) You showed without question you were the better team tonight. Our roof caved in the 3rd quarter, and that had everything to do with how you rallied the troops at half. That long run and long pass play hit s hard. That hadn't happened all year.

7.) My only question I have, and won't be answered till I watch tape or game replay was the officiating. I am not one that ever says an official costs us a game, and I won't here either. Maybe we were indeed guilty of every penalty we had, and if so, that's fine, but what really won the game for you was we had our first (4) starts in the 2nd half at or around the 10. EVERY time on the KO return was a major penalty. That is painful to take. When your punt returner muffed the kick deep in our territory, and an officla had a premature whistle blow, they adminsitered the penalty incorrectly. I was on that end, right in front of us, and the official "anticipated" your return man catching the ball, which he muffed, yet they gave you the extra yards he fumbled. The rules in college football require you to call the ball dead at impact where the ball was (sort of in your posession).

Not to whine, but I did think the officiating was not very good, especially worse than I thought a D-1 crew should be.

8.) As a former player from umpteen years ago, it was good for me to see the rivalry renewed. I have read where many of your posters blasted our school facilities, and after seeing yours last night, I have to agree. We need to make the investment to update and be what they need to be.

Congrats on the win. Best wishes the rest of the year.

Yoteforever

EndZoneQB
09-26-2010, 09:39 PM
7.) My only question I have, and won't be answered till I watch tape or game replay was the officiating. I am not one that ever says an official costs us a game, and I won't here either. Maybe we were indeed guilty of every penalty we had, and if so, that's fine, but what really won the game for you was we had our first (4) starts in the 2nd half at or around the 10. EVERY time on the KO return was a major penalty. That is painful to take. When your punt returner muffed the kick deep in our territory, and an officla had a premature whistle blow, they adminsitered the penalty incorrectly. I was on that end, right in front of us, and the official "anticipated" your return man catching the ball, which he muffed, yet they gave you the extra yards he fumbled. The rules in college football require you to call the ball dead at impact where the ball was (sort of in your posession).

Not to whine, but I did think the officiating was not very good, especially worse than I thought a D-1 crew should be.

Also, your guy called for a fair catch and then ran with the ball. That SHOULD have been a penalty as well.

Either way, good game, glad you made the trip up here. I sure hope you enjoyed yourself tailgating...even tho I don't think I saw you.

Twentysix
09-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Alot of the spotting was terrible aswell.

I was always under the impression when you run the ball and the "Ball" breaks the goal line it is a touchdown, it does not matter if you end up outside the endzone etc. Aslong as it goes past the line its a touchdown. They blew two of those calls aswell as horrendous spots for NDSU throughout the game. (Once DJ extended his arm into the endzone before running out of bounds. and once Jensen was on our centers back with the ball over the line by atleast a full foot. then slid back towards the 1 as the play was over)

I wasnt paying as close attention to USD's spotting. Id assume it went both ways.

Thanks for comeing, Im sure youll be back soon enough.

If it makes you feel anybetter we got the short end of the stick last year repeatedly. And the vikings game had some questionable officating and spots today.

yoteforever
09-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Also, your guy called for a fair catch and then ran with the ball. That SHOULD have been a penalty as well.

Either way, good game, glad you made the trip up here. I sure hope you enjoyed yourself tailgating...even tho I don't think I saw you.

I forgot that one.

Did you see him call for a fair catch? The reason I ask, is our returners give hand signals "below" the waist to indicate where he is running. I didn't see his hands go above the waist. If he raised his hand (above the shoulders) then he indeed called fair catch. If not, then you have another blown call.

Did you see him call fair catch?

ndsubison1
09-26-2010, 10:07 PM

I was always under the impression when you run the ball and the "Ball" breaks the goal line it is a touchdown, it does not matter if you end up outside the endzone etc. Aslong as it goes past the line its a touchdown. They blew two of those calls aswell as horrendous spots for NDSU throughout the game. (Once DJ extended his arm into the endzone before running out of bounds. and once Jensen was on our centers back with the ball over the line by atleast a full foot. then slid back towards the 1 as the play was over)

I wasnt paying as close attention to USD's spotting. Id assume it went both ways.

If it makes you feel anybetter we got the short end of the stick last year repeatedly. And the vikings game had some questionable officating and spots today.

Yeah there were to along the endzone that looked like tds but the refs spooted it at like the 1. thought that was terrible

ndsubison1
09-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I forgot that one.

Did you see him call for a fair catch? The reason I ask, is our returners give hand signals "below" the waist to indicate where he is running. I didn't see his hands go above the waist. If he raised his hand (above the shoulders) then he indeed called fair catch. If not, then you have another blown call.

the ref signaled fair catch tho because he called the play dead

MNLonghorn10
09-26-2010, 10:12 PM
it was a quick wave. coach bohl focussed a little on it this morning on his show so its not like it was just something we saw infront of us.

i also have never seen so many special teams penalties. when i see a kick off, my focus is always 100% on the returner so i never see the stuff going on around him.. but yea, bad luck on you guys but if you were blocking in the back after every kick off, thats disciplinary issues your team has to work on, not anything the refs can do about.

meh i dont know, i thought the dome was loud. i think itll get gradually louder next week for homecoming and if the bison keep winning and more people fill in the seats, itll be at potential.

Bison Dan
09-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Just beat und!

yoteforever
09-26-2010, 10:20 PM
the ref signaled fair catch tho because he called the play dead

The ref signalled fair catch? The last I knew he wasn't supposed to return kicks

ndsubison1
09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
The ref signalled fair catch? The last I knew he wasn't supposed to return kicks

:rolleyes:

yes the ref signaled fair catch. you know, when he blew the whistle thingy

Caves39
09-26-2010, 10:40 PM
4.) Your facilty you play in is very impressive. It's nice having a city of 100,000 + people that think progressively partner with the Univesity to build such a great facility. (that all being said, it is not very loud in there at least to what I thought was coming. The noise factor was not intimidating but it could be)

Congrats on the win. Best wishes the rest of the Yoteforever

Dome seemed pretty loud when tiny 2 and your O had a few false start penalties on big drives where you needed to score. I'm sure if somebody else pointed out this preposterous statement you would come on here and let us know how the 10,000 seat shed you guys play in gets so much louder.

yoteforever
09-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Dome seemed pretty loud when tiny 2 and your O had a few false start penalties on big drives where you needed to score. I'm sure if somebody else pointed out this preposterous statement you would come on here and let us know how the 10,000 seat shed you guys play in gets so much louder.

First of all, I complimented your team and effort, but for the record, I was at the game, and all I read all week was just how loud you were. The only time it was loud was when you scored and had the big pass play, and that noise was a result of the action on the field, not a proactive crowd trying to make it tough to play in. The first half was a morgue at best.

Now, regarding your claims. Did I say our Dome was deafening? NO I did not. I know better. We have the same type of crowd, I'll refer to them as fair weather fans. Fans that sit on their hands.

Second, I don't recall jumping offside when we were "driving" the ball. The only time the crowd was loud when we had the ball was after your first score in 2nd half and our posession following.

I wasn't being negative I was merely pointing out it wasn't "ear popping" loud as many claim. You have a good team, but you my friend, drink wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much kool-aid

MNLonghorn10
09-26-2010, 11:01 PM
its hard to be loud when you have literally 0 passing yards until the bison picked up like 30 in garbage time going into halftime.

it was a typically called vigen(bison offensive coordinator) first half.

stevdock
09-26-2010, 11:17 PM
First of all, I complimented your team and effort, but for the record, I was at the game, and all I read all week was just how loud you were. The only time it was loud was when you scored and had the big pass play, and that noise was a result of the action on the field, not a proactive crowd trying to make it tough to play in. The first half was a morgue at best.

Now, regarding your claims. Did I say our Dome was deafening? NO I did not. I know better. We have the same type of crowd, I'll refer to them as fair weather fans. Fans that sit on their hands.

Second, I don't recall jumping offside when we were "driving" the ball. The only time the crowd was loud when we had the ball was after your first score in 2nd half and our posession following.

I wasn't being negative I was merely pointing out it wasn't "ear popping" loud as many claim. You have a good team, but you my friend, drink wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much kool-aid

You are very right about the crowd. More often than not our crowd is not as loud as it could be. My guess though is you are comparing a Viking game compared to our game, and that's not a fair comparison. NEVER will a Bison game ever get that loud consistently. Well at least I assume it is consistently loud for the Vikes although I've never been there.

Last though was the loudest it's been since the Sam Houston game at the end of the game. There have only been a few games where the crowd was as into it as it was last night in the last 10 years?? One of the SDSU games was consistently pretty good. The one thing about UND games though was there were so many UND fans there that it's just not going to be as loud as it could, although some of them were quite loud.

I will say that I thought over all 3rd downs were good last night, not great, but a huge improvement. When it mattered the crowd was into the game, but we do have so many fans there that want to be entertained and don't realize that they can make a difference in the game.

DjKyRo
09-26-2010, 11:21 PM
All I'll say about the crowd is that Homecoming oughta be ballistic.

No_Skill
09-26-2010, 11:24 PM
We have definately not peaked as far as crowd noise level goes.

Once we get our first home playoff game...that place will be nuts. :nod:

roadwarrior
09-27-2010, 01:07 AM
The UNI-dome and the DakotaDome are very similar in design. (Both were originally air supported domes and both were replaced with a fixed roof.) The way the metal roof echoes every sound is the same in both places. The Fargodome has a different design that absorbs a lot of the crowd noise.

CaBisonFan
09-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Thank you yoteforever. Very classy.

I watched the entire Minnesota game and was very impressed with your team. Not sure what happened in the 3rd quarter, but what I saw was the unleashing of our considerable athleticism. It's about time. We've been in some kind of funk for over 2 years. After being ranked #1 quite a bit during our transition time, we got a little spoiled by that team. But if last night was an indication, we might be back in the hunt.

I've always had great respect for USD and its programs. I lived in Brookings for seven years. Frankly...SDSU & the city have a big-city/small-city complex that's a little hard to be around. Lots of good people though.

I won't argue with the calls. I'd have to watch it again. You could be right.

Good luck against UND.

We are a proud bunch...especially concerning our football program and its tradition. We get feisty when it falters. I liked the idea of the renewal of this rivalry. You've had some outstanding teams over the years. I'll never forget some of the classic matchups from the 80s. If we were #1 in the country...I think that USD was usually #2...which ain't bad at all. I had Chul Schwanke as a student in Hutchinson. Wonder how he's doing.

Caves39
09-27-2010, 01:42 AM

Trust me I'm the last person that drinks wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much kool-aid when it comes to the football program.

X-Factor
09-27-2010, 01:55 AM
If you are shoved up in the corner with all of the coyote fans of course it is going to be quiet. On the other hand, go field level by the student section where the Coyotes are at and it can be extremely loud at times.

yoteforever
09-27-2010, 01:56 AM
If you are shoved up in the corner with all of the coyote fans of course it is going to be quiet. On the other hand, go field level by the student section where the Coyotes are at and it can be extremely loud at times.

There might be something to that.

Gully
09-27-2010, 02:10 AM
There might be something to that.

I think there is...my seats are on the same side as the students but on the North end and I didn't think it was all that loud (although it was improved). I have two other seats on the other side and I sit there ocassionally and it seems louder over there, I think because it's opposite the students.

In any event, I'm sure the field is loud because all the noise is directed that way.

Fun game and I sure hope USD does well the rest of the way, especially next week.

HerdBot
09-27-2010, 02:16 AM

Edit: I thought you were watching on TV. Sitting in the Yote section was the quieter end. Noise is aimed downward.

It was loud in the first half but not deafening but in the 3rd and early 4th the noise was incredible. The crowd caused many penalties.

This is FCS football. I've been all over and I've never heard another FCS stadium louder. Montana? More fans but without a dome they are quieter. Northern Iowa is the closest I've heard. If you can find an FCS stadium that is louder I haven't seen it. He'll its a fact that we are louder than Kansas, Iowa State, and Minnesota.

bisoneer
09-27-2010, 02:22 AM
Nice posts Yotemeister... Thanks for coming to FGO, your QB is a really good player, he got beat up and kept on going... good luck to you the rest of the year... What is USD planning to do for a football conf. after the GW is toast? Are you coming over to the MVFC?

NDSUstudent
09-27-2010, 02:24 AM
The south endzone is much louder. You have the student section and the metal bleachers, it is hell for any team that gets backed up over there.

Bisonguy
09-27-2010, 02:57 AM
In the third quarter you couldn't hear somebody standing next to you and yelling in your ear if you were on the sidelines. Don't know what that translates to on the field, but it was just as loud as the SHSU game go-ahead TD for a couple Yote drives and 3rd downs.

Tatanka
09-27-2010, 03:10 AM
The south endzone is much louder. You have the student section and the metal bleachers, it is hell for any team that gets backed up over there.

Do you think it's just coincidence that when the Bison pick which direction they want to face, they pin the other team in the South endzone EVERY GAME?

IndyBison
09-27-2010, 03:15 AM
I forgot that one.

I won't comment on any of the other officiating comments because I didn't see any of the game and anything I say will be discarded as "protecting the officials at all costs". But this one is pretty straightforward. A rule change was made a few years ago that any signal by the return guy will cause the ball to be dead once it is possessed. It's only a "fair catch" if the return team gives a valid fair catch signal (hand above his head).

For the most part there is no difference between the two. One difference is on a fair catch, the return team could use a free kick to attempt a field goal. Let's say the return team has a fair catch at the kicking team's 45 yard line. They could tee the ball up at the 45 and the receiving team could get no closer than the 35 until the ball is kicked. If the ball goes through the uprights, it's 3 points.

Based on the description, I'm guessing the official saw some kind of signal from the return guy that caused the ball to become dead upon possession. A common signal is the "get-away" signal (similar to an official's incomplete pass signal).

NDSUstudent
09-27-2010, 03:17 AM

If you are talking about the special teams penalties, you guys did have a lot of blocks in the back. I thought only one as questionable and that was one where your blocker almost got him from the side.

That said it is long held belief here that MVFC refs can be iffy at times. I really miss the Big 10 refs we used to bring in.

HerdBot
09-27-2010, 03:19 AM
Do you think it's just coincidence that when the Bison pick which direction they want to face, they pin the other team in the South endzone EVERY GAME?

More reason to get the students spread out so we can bring the noise on the other end.

NDSUstudent
09-27-2010, 03:20 AM

I know, that is why Bohl is almost an automatic defer at home if he wins the toss. We might have one of the few domes where what endzone you are defending actually means something.

56BISON73
09-27-2010, 03:20 AM
First of all, kudos to your team and coaching staff for what was an unbelieveable 2nd half. They really did what it took to wrestle control of the game. I had been on this board for 10 days or so, and after reading alot of posts and claims and such, I would make the following comments:

1.) #8 is plain ass fast, and can cut on a dime. We had not seen that in a player yet year to date.

2.) Your coaches either made 2nd half adjustments that earned their salary, or somene lit a torch in your teams ass. Either way, that was a very impressive 3rd quarter.

3.) Your tailgate is a fun scene and should be the envy of all FCS teams nationwide. I also go to Iowa State games where tailgating is first and the game 2nd, and although theirs might be larger, yours is first class.

5.) I have heard SDSU fans rip your fan base apart, but I have to tell you they were good to me anyway. At half, when we led, either they didn't say much, or they asked if we were playing at the same level as we did against Minnesota. I heard very little COYOTES suck, or go home. Most thankedus for coming to Fargo.

6.) You showed without question you were the better team tonight. Our roof caved in the 3rd quarter, and that had everything to do with how you rallied the troops at half. That long run and long pass play hit s hard. That hadn't happened all year.

8.) As a former player from umpteen years ago, it was good for me to see the rivalry renewed. I have read where many of your posters blasted our school facilities, and after seeing yours last night, I have to agree. We need to make the investment to update and be what they need to be.

Congrats on the win. Best wishes the rest of the year.

Yoteforever

Dont feel bad as the Bison have had many games like that last year. Not to mention a game this year where we had 100 + yards in penalties.

bisoneer
09-27-2010, 03:24 AM
I thought the roughing penalty on one of our linemen who smacked thier QB right after he released the ball was lame by the refs to toss that flag a our guy had momentum and Dante Warren had just let it go...

56BISON73
09-27-2010, 03:27 AM
I thought the roughing penalty on one of our linemen who smacked thier QB right after he released the ball was lame by the refs to toss that flag a our guy had momentum and Dante Warren had just let it go...

I think there was more to the call than that. I think I heard a helmet to helmet. I could be wrong.

JustinTyem
09-27-2010, 03:32 AM
I think there was more to the call than that. I think I heard a helmet to helmet. I could be wrong.

It was very clear that the Qb got hit in the face.

bisoneer
09-27-2010, 03:39 AM
The ref said something about hitting the QB when he was in a defenseless position so there could possibly be some new rule on hitting a qb when he is in the action of throwing???

Bisonguy
09-27-2010, 03:41 AM
The ref said something about hitting the QB when he was in a defenseless position so there could possibly be some new rule on hitting a qb when he is in the action of throwing???
IIRC it was called a hit above the shoulder pads of a defenseless player.

OrygunBison
09-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Just do us a favor and put that pansy DIII team you play next week in its place.

56BISON73
09-27-2010, 03:47 AM
IIRC it was called a hit above the shoulder pads of a defenseless player.

That was it.

BisonFan33
09-27-2010, 04:18 AM
The officiating issue is typical of any fan/team that is on the loosing side of a competition. There has been many comments on this particular thread about how we, the Bison, got screwed many times last year by officials. Do I think that there were questionable calls made at questionable times last year? Of course, one example being the Illinois State game when they called Unnecessary Roughness on a 20+ run by Mertens at the end of the game that would have put us in field goal position with a chance to tie the game. With that being said, what if we would have went 7-4 or 8-3 last year? Would there be as much talk about officials? No, because we would be talking about winning.

Football is a game that involves overcoming adversity, something USD was unable to do in the second half. When there was a penalty that put them in a "not so good" situation, they were unable to execute and dig themselves out of the hole that they put themselves in, not the officials. What happened when the Bison had a first down called back because of unnecessary roughness and then the next play which also resulted in a first down called back for holding? The offense overcame and played football. I actually spoke to a Coyote fan after the game who had the nerve to tell me that one particular holding penalty on the Coyotes is what lead to the second half dismantling. Needless to say he left out the 2 INTs by their all savor quarterback and the 3 consecutive offensive plays that were touchdowns. When it comes down to it, NDSU clearly showed they were the better team and even though USD has a very respectable team that is going to make a lot of noise in the Great West, they just haven't reached the level the Bison are playing at.

And one quick note, and I guess sort of a Thank You. Maybe I am just looking really way too deep into things but did anyone else notice that when they announced the 90' championship team during the 3rd qtr it really jump started the crowd which then jump started the defense? So thank you to the 1990 National Championship team not for only for what you have done in the past but for what you do and will continue to do for this program!

extremerouge
09-27-2010, 04:32 AM
The officials were great west officials right? Doesn't the away team bring the officials?

NDSUstudent
09-27-2010, 04:37 AM
The officials were great west officials right? Doesn't the away team bring the officials?

It depends on the contract but I think that is usually done for more higher profile teams. I know it has happened in basketball but I don't think I've seen it for football.

Bisonguy
09-27-2010, 04:41 AM

Pretty sure they were MVFC officials. NDSU used Big Ten officials back in the GWFC days for nonconf games.

Bisonguy
09-27-2010, 04:45 AM
It depends on the contract but I think that is usually done for more higher profile teams. I know it has happened in basketball but I don't think I've seen it for football.

If you're talking about Kansas State, it was in the contract that they would have officials from their own conference. I think it's more the exception than the rule. If the Gophers ever played at NDSU in BB or FB, I'd guess they would require the use of Big Ten officials.

gotts
09-27-2010, 05:46 AM
I won't comment on any of the other officiating comments because I didn't see any of the game and anything I say will be discarded as "protecting the officials at all costs". But this one is pretty straightforward. A rule change was made a few years ago that any signal by the return guy will cause the ball to be dead once it is possessed. It's only a "fair catch" if the return team gives a valid fair catch signal (hand above his head).

For the most part there is no difference between the two. One difference is on a fair catch, the return team could use a free kick to attempt a field goal. Let's say the return team has a fair catch at the kicking team's 45 yard line. They could tee the ball up at the 45 and the receiving team could get no closer than the 35 until the ball is kicked. If the ball goes through the uprights, it's 3 points.

Based on the description, I'm guessing the official saw some kind of signal from the return guy that caused the ball to become dead upon possession. A common signal is the "get-away" signal (similar to an official's incomplete pass signal).

So if it were indeed a "fair catch" signal and the return man tried to advance the ball after the signal... it's a dead ball, 5 yard delay of game penalty, right?

JustinTyem
09-27-2010, 06:54 AM
So if it were indeed a "fair catch" signal and the return man tried to advance the ball after the signal... it's a dead ball, 5 yard delay of game penalty, right?

Right,but the officials didnt call a faircatch. Instead they used that bs,dead ball call. Its one of the dumbest rules in college football and its new!!!!!:banghead: :fight: :pan: :ranting: :confused:

Coyote Fan
09-27-2010, 07:11 AM
In no way do I believe that the officiating had a major impact in this game, at least to the point where it significantly favored one team or the other. USD plays undesciplined football too often which has been a trademark since Meierkort took over the program. USD's undisciplined play combined with a pourous defense is why the Coyotes lost. NDSU played well and that obviously had alot to do with it. I felt that USD's playcalling was way too predictable. I think they ran on first down way too often. USD is a passing team, NDSU is a running team. NDSU was smart enough to take away what USD did best. USD was not smart enough to do the same. Sure NDSU was physical but it's the job of the coaching to make the necessary adjustments in the game. NDSU's coaching staff schooled USD's coaches as much as the players schooled USD's players.

I may have a completely different take than some Coyote fans but I felt USD didn't take advantage of the first half when things were kind of going a bit more their way. They should have been much more agressive in trying to extend the lead instead of trying to sit on a lead. You aren't going to sit on a 6 point lead against an NDSU team at the Fargo Dome. Not gonna happen. If USD would have been much more agressive on first down I think they could have moved down the field much more efficiently.

USD is a Jeckly and Hyde type team. They can play so well one week and so poorly the next. They kind of showed both faces against the Bison on Saturday. It's seems like when things are going well for USD they thrive but when adversity hits is often times when USD kind of crumbles. Then the penalties start happening and the playcalling on both ends gets predictable.

The USD defense could not afford to allow NDSU to ball control the ball as much as they did in the second half. I personally don't have a problem with the big play touchdowns as much as I do allowing a team to drive down the field on long drives without being creative enough to force the hand of the offense. USD didn't blitz nearly enough or try to cause enough havoc for the Bison offense. They played conservative trying to make the Bison beat themselves. This seems to be USD's philosophy on defense and it doesn't work more often than not. I believe USD has the talent, especially on offense to compete well at FCS. They just don't have discipline instilled in their fiber on a dailey basis and it shows in games especially in tough moments of games.

NDSU played well or at least I hope they did. USD played well for a half but during halftime the NDSU coaches showed their advantage over USD in the locker room. That is when the game probably changed.

Good game, hope to see ya again. I heard somewhere that NDSU was coming down to Vermillion in 2013, don't know how much truth there is to that.

DjKyRo
09-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Good game, hope to see ya again. I heard somewhere that NDSU was coming down to Vermillion in 2013, don't know how much truth there is to that.

It looks like it is indeed in Vermillion in 2013 then back in Fargo in 2015. Good scheduling by your AD, I know we would've killed for this equivalent 2-for-1. I intend to make that game in Vermillion and I'm sure plenty others do as well.

gotts
09-27-2010, 07:25 AM
From the depths of section 20 I saw that USD took advantage of quick slants and passes in the flats early on. The offense resembled that of a team that was playing to not get blown out, not a team playing to win. Granted, I haven't seen much USD action, but one would have to think that they would take a few more shots downfield earlier in the game than they did. Notice how the opening drive started on the 50 yard line and by the time USD scored, there was only 7:30 remaining in the quarter?

Either the Bison defense really stymied the Coyotes on first and second downs and couldn't stop a 3rd (or in one case, 4th down) or the play calling looked to dink and dunk the Bison (yeah, I know missed tackles had to do with this too, but not really my point :D).

After the half, the adjustments were made and the Bison found a way to finally get their hands on Dante Warren. Whether it was an adjustment in coverage, scheme, or just flat out a better pass rush, the little slants and swing passes weren't quite as effective.

Just a few things I saw 7 rows from the top!

mgbison
09-27-2010, 07:48 AM
The biggest problem with the coyote offense is that Dante Warren is making every play. Once we realized that on every third and 5 that he is just gonna drop back and run for the first down, their offense becomes easier to stop.

He is a great scrambler, but is an average passer at best. I remember after the first out pattern that they ran that our corners were going to take one of those to the house. Mwill should have right before the half. I don't think they went deep very often because 1) warren doesn't have the worlds most accurate arm and 2) I thought our d backs were faster and more athletic than their receivers.

The Coyotes should be able to score points all year just because Warren is so athletic that even if you know he's going to run, it's hard to stop him. They are gonna have to figure out how to play some defense. I would like to see Illinois State vs USD this year. Both teams have great offenses, but terrible d's. I think the score would be something like 63-60.

Coyote Fan
09-27-2010, 07:59 AM
NDSU was not giving Warren much time and it got worse in the second half. I think he is a better passer than he is getting credit for here. He had more time and picked apart Minnesota. OK so the Gophers defense is somewhat in question but he made some very difficult throws in that game and was fairly accurate from everything that I can remember. He had a couple of bad throws but for the most part when he was given time in the pocket I think he did well.

USD's offensive line is supposed to be good but maybe they are a bit over rated. The running game is not working real well and Dante does indeed do alot with his feet not only to run for positive yards but also to buy him more time to throw.

I didn't see the C Florida game but from everything I have seen when given the time Warren has been good passing the ball.

As far as the Bison fan watching the game from up top I actually have no problem throwing the slants if they are open and working. A quarterback and O Coordinator need to know the coverages and know when to throw quick slants, outs, crossing patterns, deep patterns, whatever. Sounds like the Bison adjusted within the game much better than USD. It seems like USD tends to get stubborn instead of taking what is there in an aggressive fashion. USD's offense is the best when it's creative and unpredicable. What I think USD's biggest problem is that they don't learn from past mistakes and get them corrected going forward. They tend to make the same mistake over and over again.

KilldeerBison
09-27-2010, 01:34 PM
The biggest problem with the coyote offense is that Dante Warren is making every play. Once we realized that on every third and 5 that he is just gonna drop back and run for the first down, their offense becomes easier to stop.

He is a great scrambler, but is an average passer at best. I remember after the first out pattern that they ran that our corners were going to take one of those to the house. Mwill should have right before the half. I don't think they went deep very often because 1) warren doesn't have the worlds most accurate arm and 2) I thought our d backs were faster and more athletic than their receivers.

The Coyotes should be able to score points all year just because Warren is so athletic that even if you know he's going to run, it's hard to stop him. They are gonna have to figure out how to play some defense. I would like to see Illinois State vs USD this year. Both teams have great offenses, but terrible d's. I think the score would be something like 63-60.

I agree, I thought the half time decision was to make USD beat us with the pass and shut down the qb running stuff. This seemed to blow the wind out of USD's offense. The NDSU linemen dominated the 2nd 1/2 on both sides of the ball.

HerdBot
09-27-2010, 02:19 PM
In no way do I believe that the officiating had a major impact in this game, at least to the point where it significantly favored one team or the other. USD plays undesciplined football too often which has been a trademark since Meierkort took over the program. USD's undisciplined play combined with a pourous defense is why the Coyotes lost. NDSU played well and that obviously had alot to do with it. I felt that USD's playcalling was way too predictable. I think they ran on first down way too often. USD is a passing team, NDSU is a running team. NDSU was smart enough to take away what USD did best. USD was not smart enough to do the same. Sure NDSU was physical but it's the job of the coaching to make the necessary adjustments in the game. NDSU's coaching staff schooled USD's coaches as much as the players schooled USD's players.

I may have a completely different take than some Coyote fans but I felt USD didn't take advantage of the first half when things were kind of going a bit more their way. They should have been much more agressive in trying to extend the lead instead of trying to sit on a lead. You aren't going to sit on a 6 point lead against an NDSU team at the Fargo Dome. Not gonna happen. If USD would have been much more agressive on first down I think they could have moved down the field much more efficiently.

USD is a Jeckly and Hyde type team. They can play so well one week and so poorly the next. They kind of showed both faces against the Bison on Saturday. It's seems like when things are going well for USD they thrive but when adversity hits is often times when USD kind of crumbles. Then the penalties start happening and the playcalling on both ends gets predictable.

The USD defense could not afford to allow NDSU to ball control the ball as much as they did in the second half. I personally don't have a problem with the big play touchdowns as much as I do allowing a team to drive down the field on long drives without being creative enough to force the hand of the offense. USD didn't blitz nearly enough or try to cause enough havoc for the Bison offense. They played conservative trying to make the Bison beat themselves. This seems to be USD's philosophy on defense and it doesn't work more often than not. I believe USD has the talent, especially on offense to compete well at FCS. They just don't have discipline instilled in their fiber on a dailey basis and it shows in games especially in tough moments of games.

NDSU played well or at least I hope they did. USD played well for a half but during halftime the NDSU coaches showed their advantage over USD in the locker room. That is when the game probably changed.

It was a fun game. Hopefully you guys turn things around next week vs the who?

THEsocalledfan
09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
its hard to be loud when you have literally 0 passing yards until the bison picked up like 30 in garbage time going into halftime.

it was a typically called vigen(bison offensive coordinator) first half.

Wow, still ripping the coach after a fairly good game. Good grief....give it a rest until more deserved. Not all the bad plays were Vigen fault in the first half, and he was on fire in the second.

THEsocalledfan
09-27-2010, 03:12 PM

I appreciate the excellent comment and the kudoos to the NDSU coaches; that is all right on target.

But you neglect one big fact; USD wasn't even close to the same level of talent as NDSU. I was impressed with Warren, but as a whole, your team can't hold a candle to NDSU in terms of talent based on what I saw. For example, when NDSU made you throw, why couldn't you? Why did NDSU blow you off the line of scrimage? Why couldn't you cover the receivers? If you have talent (and coaching which is state is deficient), you make the plays and overcome. Your team did not do that and you can't blame it all on coaching. It is partly due to being a day late and a dollar short on the move up to D1. (Sorry, had to be said and clearly not your fault.)

With that said, I think USD is an excellent football team. I really do. However, I am now starting to move NDSU into the elite realm of FCS talent. Championship calibur? No, but deep playoff contender for sure. I may still be early on this, but I have having trouble finding a clear weakness. If they take it to WIU this weekend, and win as I think they will, I think I may be on to something......

80ALUM
09-27-2010, 04:16 PM

I thought it was loud on Saturday at the game but when I watched the recording of the game it sounded even louder. Students were great. Announcers kept commenting on how loud the students were and what a great crowd we had. After watching the replay i could see the students definitely had an effect on the USD team. If you sit on the same side as the students and down at the other end you don't realize what an impact they have on the game.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Wow, still ripping the coach after a fairly good game. Good grief....give it a rest until more deserved. Not all the bad plays were Vigen fault in the first half, and he was on fire in the second.

we had 0 passing yards with like 3 minutes left to go in the 1st half.

the stat board said

NDSU: 0

that deserves a rippage.

cbline
09-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Discussion on Saturday night in Rows R and S in Section 32: how did that USD team ever put 41 points on the Gophers? Was it an anamoly, or are the Gophers just that bad on defense???

bri-dog
09-27-2010, 04:25 PM
On the other hand, remember that -- as it's been mentioned several times- there were at least 2, and maybe 3, dropped passes on the first drive. That part was NOT Vigen's fault. And those drops were drive-killers, so no chance for more completions on the drive...

coldspot
09-27-2010, 04:26 PM
we had 0 passing yards with like 3 minutes left to go in the 1st half.

the stat board said

NDSU: 0

that deserves a rippage.

vigen was calling for those dropped passes?

bisonmike2
09-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Just beat und!

I approve of this message.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2010, 04:27 PM
vigen was calling for those dropped passes?

ok so what were the drops. 5-10-15? yards downfield?

whatever it was, ndsu wasn't doing jack in the air on offense.

Facts
09-27-2010, 04:28 PM
With that said, I think USD is an excellent football team. I really do. However, I am now starting to move NDSU into the elite realm of FCS talent. Championship calibur? No, but deep playoff contender for sure. I may still be early on this, but I have having trouble finding a clear weakness. If they take it to WIU this weekend, and win as I think they will, I think I may be on to something......

Against better defenses (See UNI game) this has been obvious so far: o-line is the glaring weakness.

That said, I hope they continue to improve.

Kermit
09-27-2010, 04:30 PM

I've been critical of Vigen at times, but he and the offensive staff deserve nothing but praise for the performance against the 'yotes. When he had the right matchups and the players were executing, the playbook opened up. Let's keep it going now!

Facts
09-27-2010, 04:31 PM
I think there is...my seats are on the same side as the students but on the North end and I didn't think it was all that loud (although it was improved). I have two other seats on the other side and I sit there ocassionally and it seems louder over there, I think because it's opposite the students.

In any event, I'm sure the field is loud because all the noise is directed that way.

Fun game and I sure hope USD does well the rest of the way, especially next week.

Multiple seats for you to follow the action on both ends of the dome??: I just figured out why the Dome is "sold out" and we still see empty seats.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I've been critical of Vigen at times, but he and the offensive staff deserve nothing but praise for the performance against the 'yotes. When he had the right matchups and the players were executing, the playbook opened up. Let's keep it going now!

im just saying the offense had the crowd silent for half of the game. going into halftime down 13-7 and really being outgained by over double the yards is something that shouldnt be ignored at either.

everyone and their grandmas know it difference between night and day in the 2nd half.

THEsocalledfan
09-27-2010, 04:52 PM
im just saying the offense had the crowd silent for half of the game. going into halftime down 13-7 and really being outgained by over double the yards is something that shouldnt be ignored at either.

everyone and their grandmas know it difference between night and day in the 2nd half.

Is it that hard to admit that Vigen clearly did well last game? Do you not like to win? Do you not like halftime adjustments? Come on, let's be fair.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2010, 05:10 PM
no, hate the win. vacate it!

i thought the second half was spectacular. but youre ignoring also the pretty poor 1st half, these are the same game. its 2 games in a row where its been dog fights for the first half.

tony
09-27-2010, 05:17 PM
no, hate the win. vacate it!

i thought the second half was spectacular. but youre ignoring also the pretty poor 1st half, these are the same game. its 2 games in a row where its been dog fights for the first half.

The first half might have been a little better if the passing game had worked at all. WRs looked like they were wearing boxing gloves and then Jensen got a little high and wide. In my mind, that's not on the game plan - the problem was execution and the cure is more game experience.

What I like is that, for a young team, neither the coaches or players panicked and everybody settled down in the second half and executed.

56BISON73
09-27-2010, 05:17 PM

But they were very close on multiple opportunities in the first half. So to me the first half was somewhat entertaining as you could see what was happening and figured that second half adjustments would be important.

56BISON73
09-27-2010, 05:18 PM
The first half might have been a little better if the passing game had worked at all. WRs looked like they were wearing boxing gloves and then Jensen got a little high and wide. In my mind, that's not on the game plan - the problem was execution and the cure is more game experience.

What I like is that, for a young team, neither the coaches or players panicked and everybody settled down in the second half and executed.

Bingo. They played with much better pose this time around.

MNLonghorn10
09-27-2010, 05:26 PM
But they were very close on multiple opportunities in the first half. So to me the first half was somewhat entertaining as you could see what was happening and figured that second half adjustments would be important.

so how much of that had to do with the crowd not being as loud as the original poster expected it to be?

56BISON73
09-27-2010, 05:35 PM
so how much of that had to do with the crowd not being as loud as the original poster expected it to be?

I think expectations need to be tempered when dealing with what you think the crowd should be doing. The Bison dropped passes right out of the box that could have set the tone very quickly. Then there were other misses that disappointed some in the crowd as well. But thats football.

I dont know if that answers your question or not.

CAS4127
09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Let's see here. Since getting our asses physically kicked by UNI, the emphasis was on getting the running game going and being more physical up front ("strong running game and very physical play along with solid D wins games" was my quote--loosely). My prediction last week was NDSU 28-USD 17 if we get are running game going as a result of more physical play by O-line (Picked USD win if not). Well, we finally saw our O-line physically dominate in the 2nd half, and, bingo, here comes the running game. Also, much improved QB play (Hello!) and a steady D=solid win.

Now I would like to see DJ get more physical at the end of runs--take the last long run toward NE corner of endzone where he just allowed himself to be shoved out of bounds. His O-line deserves a little more than that. Ya, he may have been tired, but my guess is that SD's Dbacks were a little tired too. Also way too many QB draws called. That play is one that needs to be set up, not run as a base offensive play. Run load with Jensen following the backs through the hole if you want him to carry ball.

Celebration over--we have a very tough Leatherneck team comin to our house on homecoming.

IndyBison
09-27-2010, 06:02 PM

Could be but it is somewhat of a judgment call. The rule states one type of delay of game is "deliberately advancing the ball after it is dead." So would you flag a guy for continuing to run after he steps on the sideline? No. But he technically violated the rule.

There is another specific rule under fair catch that applies in this case. Rule 6-5-2: No Team B player shall carry a caught or recovered ball more than two steps in any direction after a valid or invalid fair catch signal by any Team B player.

Rules also have Approved Rulings (AR) which include examples of how rules should be applied. In an AR for this play, a comment includes "Two steps are permitted to enable B1 to come to a stop or to regain balance." Again, there is still some judgment to this call. A friend in the MAC had a play where the return guy took 6 or 7 steps and they flagged him for delay of game. The evalutor gave him a poor grade and called it "too technical".

As for Big 10 vs. MVFC officials, there is now an organization known as the Midwest Football Officials Alliance. It is made up of officials previously with the Big 10, MAC, and MVFC. The supervisor is Bill Carrollo, former NFL referee. Theoretically they are all on the same staff but most officials predominantly call games in one of the three conferences. The understanding is that will ultimately blend. The better officials will work Big 10 games and the lower group will work MVFC. That doesn't mean the MVFC will be getting bad officials. It takes many years and lots of evaluation to get to this level. All of the officials in the Alliance are good officials. Doesn't mean they don't make mistakes or have issues though.

BisonNeil
09-27-2010, 06:07 PM

In addition, before DJ scored his first TD, Jensen had gotten in twice. Pretty clear on the Bohl show.

Notorious
09-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Also way too many QB draws called. That play is one that needs to be set up, not run as a base offensive play.

This ^^^^^^

This play should be used sparingly and only when set up with an effective passing attack. Vigen seemed to call a slightly better game, but I'm thinking it was likely better execution, rather than an improvement in play calling, that propelled us in the 2nd half.

I'm still not sold on our offensive philosphy, if there is one...but, if 11 players execute, sometimes it just doesn't matter what plays are called...they all work.

BisonNeil
09-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Against better defenses (See UNI game) this has been obvious so far: o-line is the glaring weakness.

That said, I hope they continue to improve.

I have been leary of the offensive line but I think they are improving, so no longer a "glaring" weakness. Yes, they have only put two second halves together, but I suspect that it will take another game or two before they fully gel. They just need some experience in their current positions.

BisonNeil
09-27-2010, 06:23 PM

I agree. Vigen ran between the tackles way too often against Morgan State, didn't see any of that this game until the drive they used to shove it down the Coyotes throat.

tony
09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm still not sold on our offensive philosphy, if there is one...but, if 11 players execute, sometimes it just doesn't matter what plays are called...they all work.

Seriously? Bohl's offensive philosophy hasn't changed since the Montana game. Establish run, mix in short passes, open up play action, and IMPOSE THE BISON WILL.

You might not like it but I doubt there is a team in football that has been more consistent with its offensive philosophy.

Notorious
09-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Seriously? Bohl's offensive philosophy hasn't changed since the Montana game. Establish run, mix in short passes, open up play action, and IMPOSE THE BISON WILL.

You might not like it but I doubt there is a team in football that has been more consistent with its offensive philosophy.

I hear you, but do you think that's the "company line", or do you really believe that is what is actually put into action. I don't completely disagree with you...maybe the past couple years' of poor execution has given me a negative impression....

CAS4127
09-27-2010, 06:46 PM
" I doubt there is a team in football that has been more more consistent with its offensive philosophy"--I agree, but consistency in "offensive philosophy" does not necessarily mean "effective" offensive philosophy! It's one thing to have a consistent philosophy, and a wholly different matter to be creative within it with the play calls, setting up plays in your book, and taking advantage of a known or observed defensive weakness by calling a play within your offensive package that is designed to do so. So, you don't necessarily have to change philosophy, just use it more effectively and creatively. I think that is one of the problems many of us have--not the plays themselves, but the play that is called. Fair enough?!

56BISON73
09-27-2010, 06:51 PM
" I doubt there is a team in football that has been more more consistent with its offensive philosophy"--I agree, but consistency in "offensive philosophy" does not necessarily mean "effective" offensive philosophy! It's one thing to have a consistent philosophy, and a wholly different matter to be creative within it with the play calls, setting up plays in your book, and taking advantage of a known or observed defensive weakness by calling a play within your offensive package that is designed to do so. So, you don't necessarily have to change philosophy, just use it more effectively and creatively. I think that is one of the problems many of us have--not the plays themselves, but the play that is called. Fair enough?!

Well said.

stevdock
09-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Do you think we see the same play up to ten times a game though because they see those weaknesses on tape and think we can take advantage of them?? Most of DJ's big runs on Saturday were pretty much the same play. The problem in the past though is when we see that play run 10 times last week and see it run 10 more times this week. Not hard to defend the second time around, especially if it is the week after.

CAS4127
09-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Do you think we see the same play up to ten times a game though because they see those weaknesses on tape and think we can take advantage of them?? Most of DJ's big runs on Saturday were pretty much the same play. The problem in the past though is when we see that play run 10 times last week and see it run 10 more times this week. Not hard to defend the second time around, especially if it is the week after.

Well, it may be the "same" play, but different blocking schemes and or assignments for different defensive schemes/stunts. And sometimes, like Saturday, after we had worn them out physically, they are sayin, "Oh shit, here it comes again!"

But I still subscribe to notion of more creativity in the play calling.

tony
09-27-2010, 09:29 PM

So basically you want to call the plays? Maybe the 10-1 teams had more talent and experience - maybe that, and not play calling, is the difference between 3-8 teams and 10-1 teams.

Some people seem to think that football games are won or lost on play calling so everytime that the Bison lose, it's bad play calling. Talent, experience, health, chemistry, and execution have nothing to do with winning games - it's ALL play calling. Really? REALLY?

Yes, if you can't tell, if I never read another freaking post about how play calling is the be all and freaking end all of football, it will be still be too soon. :)

What's even more boggling, is that when confronted with a win, some people insist that the play calling is STILL bad. Apparently, other teams don't have scholarships, don't pay their coaching staffs, and all exist just to be cannon fodder for the unstoppable football power that is NDSU. NDSU has been so blessed by all the angels in heaven, that Vigen should be able to pull ten guys at random from Section 21 and by simply calling the plays that our angy playcalling experts have drawn up on Madden, we'd score a TD on every damn play. Well, I've put up with it for three weeks and now you get the rant. :hungry:

CAS4127
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Some people seem to think that football games are won or lost on play calling so everytime that the Bison lose, it's bad play calling.

What's even more boggling, is that when confronted with a win, some people insist that the play calling is STILL bad.

Slight contradiction there, but, I understand your position. What I and others are saying is that our play calling can/should and hopefully will get better, and we (or at least I) seem to be consistent, in that I question the play calling in both wins and losses.

I don't sit in Secion 21 btw!

THEsocalledfan
09-27-2010, 09:44 PM
So basically you want to call the plays? Maybe the 10-1 teams had more talent and experience - maybe that, and not play calling, is the difference between 3-8 teams and 10-1 teams.

Some people seem to think that football games are won or lost on play calling so everytime that the Bison lose, it's bad play calling. Talent, experience, health, chemistry, and execution have nothing to do with winning games - it's ALL play calling. Really? REALLY?

Yes, if you can't tell, if I never read another freaking post about how play calling is the be all and freaking end all of football, it will be still be too soon. :)

What's even more boggling, is that when confronted with a win, some people insist that the play calling is STILL bad. Apparently, other teams don't have scholarships, don't pay their coaching staffs, and all exist just to be cannon fodder for the unstoppable football power that is NDSU. NDSU has been so blessed by all the angels in heaven, that Vigen should be able to pull ten guys at random from Section 21 and by simply calling the plays that our angy playcalling experts have drawn up on Madden, we'd score a TD on every damn play. Well, I've put up with it for three weeks and now you get the rant. :hungry:

I could not agree with a post more than this.

BlueBisonRock
09-27-2010, 09:47 PM

NDSU has been so blessed by all the angels in heaven, that Vigen should be able to pull ten guys at random from Section 21 and by simply calling the plays that our angy playcalling experts have drawn up on Madden, we'd score a TD on every damn play.

Well, there is some beef in the lower area, but with bad knees on some of us and vision problems on others, I suspect the only contributor would be SD... :D

Of course, we have the young son of one of our key fans who is learning when and how to go (yes, he is in training!)... I suspect he could cause some real disruption as he makes another run down the line and breaks for the head.

tony
09-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Some people seem to think that football games are won or lost on play calling so everytime that the Bison lose, it's bad play calling.

What's even more boggling, is that when confronted with a win, some people insist that the play calling is STILL bad.

Slight contradiction there, but, I understand your position. What I and others are saying is that our play calling can/should and hopefully will get better, and we (or at least I) seem to be consistent, in that I question the play calling in both wins and losses.

I don't sit in Secion 21 btw!

A) Well, I wasn't saying that NDSU won because there was great play calling. Just pointing out that people want it both ways... or, scratch that, they do want it one way: The way where they can complain about play calling regardless of a game's outcome.

B) Well, there is one spot open: I figured that NDSU has such advantages that Vigen only really needs 10 guys and I only picked section 21 because due to their constant milk drinking, they should be very athletic. If I had said section 34 (or what have you, that would have just been ridiculous.)

CAS4127
09-27-2010, 09:59 PM
A) Well, I wasn't saying that NDSU won because there was great play calling. Just pointing out that people want it both ways... or, scratch that, they do want it one way: The way where they can complain about play calling regardless of a game's outcome.

B) Well, there is one spot open: I figured that NDSU has such advantages that Vigen only really needs 10 guys and I only picked section 21 because they due to their constant milk drinking, they should be very athletic. If I had said section 34 (or what have you, that would have just been ridiculous.

My posts on play calling on this thread have not been
"complaining", per se. Rather (and maybe it means the same to some, but not me) I call it "questioning" the play calling, at least at certain points. For example, there were several times during the game where I said to myself (no one else would listen) "I like that play call!", including the bomb toward south endzone, which was not only a good call but a hell of a throw!:cheers:

tony
09-27-2010, 10:08 PM
My posts on play calling on this thread have not been
"complaining", per se. Rather (and maybe it means the same to some, but not me) I call it "questioning" the play calling, at least at certain points. For example, there were several times during the game where I said to myself (no one else would listen) "I like that play call!", including the bomb toward south endzone, which was not only a good call but a hell of a throw!:cheers:

Hehe, yeah, and my comments weren't just directed at you (or even mainly at you - from your posts, I figure you know play calling.)

No_Skill
09-27-2010, 10:43 PM

Sweet! I'm in. I've never played a down of football, but let's give it a shot.

DjKyRo
09-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Sweet! I'm in. I've never played a down of football, but let's give it a shot.

I call RB! NDSU's next 1,000-yard rusher, here I come! :)

Twentysix
09-27-2010, 11:15 PM
I call RB! NDSU's next 1,000-yard rusher, here I come! :)

Ill tape a stick to your head that has a beer attached via string, Said beer will be indefinetly out of reach, but only slightly. Just run for the beer and you can do it.

Tatanka
09-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Ill tape a stick to your head that has a beer attached via string, Said beer will be indefinetly out of reach, but only slightly. Just run for the beer and you can do it.

You could do this for Ming, but he's already figured out that if he just lays on the ground, the beer will eventually come to him if he's on a slight incline...

tony
09-28-2010, 04:00 AM
You could do this for Ming, but he's already figured out that if he just lays on the ground, the beer will eventually come to him if he's on a slight incline...

Ming: Master of Beer Entropy!

steelbison
09-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Let's see here. Since getting our asses physically kicked by UNI, the emphasis was on getting the running game going and being more physical up front ("strong running game and very physical play along with solid D wins games" was my quote--loosely). My prediction last week was NDSU 28-USD 17 if we get are running game going as a result of more physical play by O-line (Picked USD win if not). Well, we finally saw our O-line physically dominate in the 2nd half, and, bingo, here comes the running game. Also, much improved QB play (Hello!) and a steady D=solid win.

Now I would like to see DJ get more physical at the end of runs--take the last long run toward NE corner of endzone where he just allowed himself to be shoved out of bounds. His O-line deserves a little more than that. Ya, he may have been tired, but my guess is that SD's Dbacks were a little tired too. Also way too many QB draws called. That play is one that needs to be set up, not run as a base offensive play. Run load with Jensen following the backs through the hole if you want him to carry ball.

Celebration over--we have a very tough Leatherneck team comin to our house on homecoming.

DJ is never going to be a physical back, but he does bring another aspect as we saw the other night. Can cut on a dime and has the speed to take it the distance. I personally would use Lang in short yardage and goal line. Loved the way he puts his head down and gets it done.

Totally agree on the QB draws...maybe 1-2 game..not 1-2 a series.

The two long balls are something I hope we continue to try 2-3 times/game. That really opens up the running game.

Kermit
09-28-2010, 02:21 PM
DJ is never going to be a physical back, but he does bring another aspect as we saw the other night. Can cut on a dime and has the speed to take it the distance. I personally would use Lang in short yardage and goal line. Loved the way he puts his head down and gets it done.

Totally agree on the QB draws...maybe 1-2 game..not 1-2 a series.

The two long balls are something I hope we continue to try 2-3 times/game. That really opens up the running game.

I agree on Lang and the use of the long ball.

They may have over-used the QB draw, but I do think that Jensen's running gives opposing defenses something else to worry about. He is especially effective out of the shotgun/spread. While he is not elusive, he is good at getting upfield and gaining yards after contact.

THEsocalledfan
09-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I agree on Lang and the use of the long ball.

They may have over-used the QB draw, but I do think that Jensen's running gives opposing defenses something else to worry about. He is especially effective out of the shotgun/spread. While he is not elusive, he is good at getting upfield and gaining yards after contact.

I think the draws on the goal line are always tough to defend, along with the little QB counter play. However, you need to be very careful overusing it in other situations. It was a great play for Mertens as it was all he did well and you were willing to chance him getting hurt. Brock, despite his running ability, will excel much more as a pocket passer, so you don't want him getting hurt.

CAS4127
09-28-2010, 02:40 PM
"I think the draws on the goal line are always tough to defend, along with the little QB counter play."

Agree-Having these plays in the arsenal has a tendency to "hold" or "freeze" the linebackers, thus allowing crossing patterns or post patterns over the top of LB's (especially with TEnds) to be more effective. Can also open up wide or swing-type (not middle--think LB's hangin tight in middle) screens. Hate to say this here in "our" forum, but UND has run these plays effectively near goal line for many years, and, yes, they did it against us several times over the last years that we played them. You can line up in standard-type formations, and the D has to sit there and wonder which of the 5-6 plays they will see. As long as you don't consistently run the same or similar play, their computer down and distance numbers garnered from watching and analyzing film will not give them much to rely upon.

I'm thinkin, and hopin, our playbook opens up a little more in red zone (if not entire feild), if needed, with Jensen at QB and these plays as available options. Keeps the D on their heels!!

BlueBisonRock
09-30-2010, 07:56 PM
A brilliant snippett from the Sid at the Star Tribune in his column defending the illustrious and needed (we still want him coaching the goophs!) Tim Brewster.

How do you figure this one out? Last Saturday, North Dakota State crushed South Dakota 38-16 at the Fargodome, two weeks after the Coyotes edged the Gophers 41-38 at TCF Bank Stadium.

Middle of Page 2 (http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/104047873.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUi D3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsl)

CAS4127
09-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I especially liked one of the comments to Sid on the article, to wit:

"This article is about as bad as your Gopher win by 40+ against NDSU predictions in 2006 and 2007."

THEsocalledfan
09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
How do you figure this one out? Last Saturday, North Dakota State crushed South Dakota 38-16 at the Fargodome, two weeks after the Coyotes edged the Gophers 41-38 at TCF Bank Stadium.

HHHHMMMMMMMMM.........what could it be. Oh yea, NDSU is better than Minnesota. Why can't people in Minneapolis just admit this?

I am looking forward to robbing the bank next year.

Tatanka
09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
I absolutely unequivocally 100% endorse Sid's call for patience and not firing Brewster :nod:

Green-N-Gold
09-30-2010, 09:29 PM
I especially liked one of the comments to Sid on the article, to wit:

"This article is about as bad as your Gopher win by 40+ against NDSU predictions in 2006 and 2007."

Pretty sure he was saying 60+ in 2006 and then toned it down to "only" 40+ in 2007. What a maroon.

KilldeerBison
09-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I absolutely unequivocally 100% endorse Sid's call for patience and not firing Brewster :nod:

I'm onboard with you! What if Brewster quits? Somebody should buy him a ticket to the Rose Bowl this yr., might make him feel like he has accomplished his goal!

BlueBisonRock
09-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Pretty sure he was saying 60+ in 2006 and then toned it down to "only" 40+ in 2007. What a maroon and gold.

FIFY

Even more true than you initially thought!

No spelling nazi intent, I just could not pass this one up!

heckler
09-30-2010, 11:17 PM
According to these highlights we lost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1kObd5Vfkg

BisonCardinal
10-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Good find! I think McNorton only got 25 yards in this game, right?

Scooter1
10-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Hey, how come it was in color?

The NDSU offense must have been sluggish due to the dozen pancakes that Cornick had.:D

ndsubison1
10-01-2010, 08:34 AM
this just in. dj mcnorton just ran for another 100 yards on the yotes again. ZING!

EndZoneQB
10-01-2010, 12:48 PM
According to these highlights we lost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1kObd5Vfkg

Don't worry, I set the record straight in the comments.

heckler
10-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Don't worry, I set the record straight in the comments.

LOL they deleted our comments.

EndZoneQB
10-01-2010, 06:44 PM
LOL they deleted our comments.

Don't worry, I don't have much to do today. I'll keep reposting it.

HandoEX
10-01-2010, 07:22 PM
what did the deleted comments say?

heckler
10-01-2010, 07:28 PM
One asked what the final score was... another comment asked why all the highlights were from the first half... I posted some stats...and another post was the score and stats. He deleted the post so I readded it and that happened about three times until he figured out he could block me from posting.