PDA

View Full Version : Homecoming: Western Illinois

tony
09-26-2010, 03:18 AM
Just looked at the box score and Western Illinois absolutely hammered Indiana State on the ground. Almost 400 yards rushing but Western Illinois passed for only 19 yards.

Get ready for some smashmouth football, defense!

BisonNolesFan77
09-26-2010, 03:36 AM
For some reason, I am not all that worried about our D's ability to stop the run...I think we have a very solid front 7 and so far this year they have shown they can stop it.

stevdock
09-26-2010, 04:13 AM
I'm not worried about our ability to stop the run either. The only thing that could get worrisome would be the health of our players. When you run that much, the odds players are going to wear down and get hurt. Hope that doesn't happen.

yellowstreak
09-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Indiana State is worse than UND. Now that's saying something.

Twentysix
09-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Indiana State is worse than UND. Now that's saying something.

I really hope ISU and step it up. Its disappointing to have teams that are that bad. :'(.

I think we will beat WIU handily.

HandoEX
09-26-2010, 09:37 AM
WIU will be tough. Barr is a good qb and the Leatherneck are not in dissaray like they were when we barely beat them last year.

Can't wait for homecoming. The best week of the year (until the playoffs):nod:

Twentysix
09-26-2010, 10:40 AM
WIU will be tough. Barr is a good qb and the Leatherneck are not in dissaray like they were when we barely beat them last year.

Can't wait for homecoming. The best week of the year (until the playoffs):nod:

Psh, Mwill and Eaves will be stealin his balls out of the air!

just kidding, kind of. I do think we win this game though.

semobison
09-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Im glad this one is at home! The previous week the Necks hung something like 55 on Sam Houston! We are going to need to play 4 quarters of good football!

dannygunner
09-26-2010, 03:26 PM
This game scares me. Matt Barr is similar to Dante Warren in that he is a duel QB. He has only one pick this season and has thrown for 756 yards. He has also ran for 225 and a score. He only played in for games last year and the Bison have not seen him play since '08 in Fargo. That year, of course, he had Herb Donaldson running for 124 yards and 2 scores. This year, Barr has two solid backs in Byrce Flowers and Caulton Ray. Flowers, who is actually the backup, has 439 yards and 6 scores while Ray has 343 yards and 5 scores.
As a team, they average 287 yards a game on the ground, 193 through the air, and 40.5 points per game.
Of course, we have to take this with a grain of salt. WIU has played awful teams in their three wins. NDSU, on the other hand, beat an FBS school, and is 1-1 against ranked FCS teams. USD came to the Fargodome with the same type of hype offensively and were effectively shut down. Bison front seven is outstanding this year and actually has depth. There is no drop off when subs come in for Coulter Boyer or Preston Evans. It also makes the secondary that much better when the QB is making rushed throws.
I say it is going to be much like Weeks 3 and 4 for NDSU. Slow start, but Barr's going to be worn out by how much pressure is being put on him and the offensive will find its grove in the second half.
NDSU 24 WIU 14

BisonNeil
09-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Barr is a good QB but I would have been more concerned had our D not just played against another solid dual threat QB in Warren. I think the experience the front seven gained in containing Warren will carry over to this game.

I also like the fact that the Bison are relatively healthy and no new injuries that I can think of. Willson came back after only missing one game and they said it could possibly miss 2-4 and he was all over the field once again. Veldman suited up and could have gone if needed, so I suspect he will be back next week.

In other words, I like the chances a healthy Bison football team have against WIU, especially coming off a great second half of defense and offense.

dannygunner
09-26-2010, 07:47 PM
I like your reasoning, but I just do not want people to underestimate the Leathernecks and their talent. Already, these two teams have either surpassed or matched last years win totals.
Also, what is the deal with Bison fans this year? I have seen way too many empty seats at the Fargodome the past two games. If we want to continue with the home field advantage, we need to absloutely pack the dome this weekend. No excuses.

Barr is a good QB but I would have been more concerned had our D not just played against another solid dual threat QB in Warren. I think the experience the front seven gained in containing Warren will carry over to this game.

I also like the fact that the Bison are relatively healthy and no new injuries that I can think of. Willson came back after only missing one game and they said it could possibly miss 2-4 and he was all over the field once again. Veldman suited up and could have gone if needed, so I suspect he will be back next week.

In other words, I like the chances a healthy Bison football team have against WIU, especially coming off a great second half of defense and offense.

DjKyRo
09-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Matt Barr was 4-11 for 14 yards and a pick against Indiana St on Saturday.

tony
09-26-2010, 07:50 PM
. If we want to continue with the home field advantage, we need to absloutely pack the dome this weekend. No excuses.

As long as the tickets are paid for, I'll take quality over quantity.

When you have full houses, it's not like you have hardcore fans filling those seats and you might end up with more "Sit down and be quiet, I'm trying to finish this Sudoku deal" types. If all the crowds from here on in are like Saturday's, then that would be fine with me.

dannygunner
09-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Ahh the golf clap crowd. I totally agree. That crowd last week was amazing. I just like to see a packed house. Especially for such an important conference game.

When you have full houses, it's not like you have hardcore fans filling those seats and you might end up with more "Sit down and be quiet, I'm trying to finish this Sudoku deal" types. If all the crowds from here on in are like Saturday's, then that would be fine with me.

EndZoneQB
09-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Keep in mind we were 3-8 last year. Takes awhile to get that fanbase back in full swing. Homecoming always means a big crowd.

Twentysix
09-26-2010, 09:48 PM

I would like it full, whats the difference if those people are there not making noise as opposed to an empty seat? Blue seats just plain looks bad.

Though aslong as the tickets are sold that is the MOST important part.

tony
09-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Matt Barr was 4-11 for 14 yards and a pick against Indiana St on Saturday.

Yeah, but they were playing in a mud pit during a downpour.

http://www.whig.com/story/sports/9-26-WIU-wins-big

Barr went 25-38 against Purdue (no ints) and has 7 TDs vs 1 int on the season (and that one pick was the one in the rain this weekend.)

Bison"FANatic"
09-26-2010, 11:37 PM
I like the match up of our D against a smash mouth team. I think we can control their running game and get out on the road with a 4-1 record.

bisoneer
09-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Lets go, its homecoming and beat the leathernecks week!!!!! Bison will hopefully 'stay on a roll'... thanks to Bohl for starting Jensen vs. USD, a tough decision but obviously the right one.

onbison09
09-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Leathernecks is such a badass nickname.

Thunder_Struck
09-27-2010, 01:27 AM
The 1st two home games this year seemed to have many more empty seats between the 40's on the east side than previous years. There is not alot of empty seats, just seem to be more than previous seasons. Not sure what the story is. I sit on the west side so it's hard to see the blue seats on that side.

Herd
09-27-2010, 01:39 AM
The winner of this week's "Mirage Bowl" (They look like good teams, but they can't be, they sucked so bad in 2009) will be 4-1 and be getting some respect for a valley run.

We didn't learn much bout Western IL this week due to a driving rain for the entire game, other than Western is pretty stout up front compared to ISU blue. I would expect them to be a lot more balanced run/pass this week.

They have 3 people in the top 13 rushers in the Valley, the 13th being their QB Barr. Their Fr and So backs together average 200 yards/game. We'll need to win the battle up front.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-27-2010, 01:51 AM
The winner of this week's "Mirage Bowl" (They look like good teams, but they can't be, they sucked so bad in 2009) will be 4-1 and be getting some respect for a valley run.

We didn't learn much bout Western IL this week due to a driving rain for the entire game, other than Western is pretty stout up front compared to ISU blue. I would expect them to be a lot more balanced run/pass this week.

They have 3 people in the top 13 rushers in the Valley, the 13th being their QB Barr. Their Fr and So backs together average 200 yards/game. We'll need to win the battle up front.

The Leathernecks are always a tough physical football team. It will be a battle.

stevdock
09-27-2010, 03:15 AM
The 1st two home games this year seemed to have many more empty seats between the 40's on the east side than previous years. There is not alot of empty seats, just seem to be more than previous seasons. Not sure what the story is. I sit on the west side so it's hard to see the blue seats on that side.

I know what you mean. I'm on the East side and think the same thing about the west side between the 40's. I just assumed the East side was just as bad. I'm also assuming Homecoming will be much better and then when we come back after the road trip in good shape I'm hoping it will continue to fill in even more.

DjKyRo
09-27-2010, 03:16 AM
I know what you mean. I'm on the East side and think the same thing about the west side between the 40's. I just assumed the East side was just as bad. I'm also assuming Homecoming will be much better and then when we come back after the road trip in good shape I'm hoping it will continue to fill in even more.

Speaking of 40's, who's ready to tailgate?! :D

HerdBot
09-27-2010, 03:38 AM
I really hope ISU and step it up. Its disappointing to have teams that are that bad. :'(.

I think we will beat WIU handily.

This is going to be a very tough game and its a shame they are not ranked. We could easily lose and be 0-2 in the conference with a tough game at Youngstown. These guys know how to win and last year was a worst case scenario, just like us. Remember they beat us at the dome 2 years ago and we hadn't had a big Paschall run, we would have lost last year. They only lost to Purdue by 10 and absolutely destroyed Sam Houston State. They can run the ball and stop the run. Not a good matchup since we run like crazy. Their QB is solid and they got some great transfers. I say we win by 3 but if we play another bad 1st half we could lose. I think these guys would beat the Yotes.

BisoninNWMN
09-27-2010, 11:25 AM
This is going to be a very tough game and its a shame they are not ranked. We could easily lose and be 0-2 in the conference with a tough game at Youngstown. These guys know how to win and last year was a worst case scenario, just like us. Remember they beat us at the dome 2 years ago and we hadn't had a big Paschall run, we would have lost last year. They only lost to Purdue by 10 and absolutely destroyed Sam Houston State. They can run the ball and stop the run. Not a good matchup since we run like crazy. Their QB is solid and they got some great transfers. I say we win by 3 but if we play another bad 1st half we could lose. I think these guys would beat the Yotes.

True, but this is a different match-up for the Bison. A straight-ahead running team is not too common on our schedule. We see the spread or some version of it almost every week. This team will line up and dare us to stop them.....and I think the Bison are up to the task.

With all the running it will probably be a short game but I believe the Bison will win.

GO BISON

lakesbison
09-27-2010, 12:06 PM
WOW. A. IT'S HOMECOMING B. LEATHERNECKS.

NDSU 27
WKU 10

why is.anyone worried??? Don't worry, be happy.

westnodak93bison
09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
I hate 1pm starts. What is the point?

DjKyRo
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM

The game getting over in time to watch Oregon-Stanford. :nod:

Though I'd dig a 6 pm game more.

THEsocalledfan
09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
They can run the ball and stop the run. Not a good matchup since we run like crazy.

What about their pass D? Let's not forget, we have a solid QB now where we can actually put this in the advantage category!

HandoEX
09-27-2010, 03:38 PM

It's the only time my wife lets me drink at 8am, so that has to be part of it:D

56BISON73
09-27-2010, 05:59 PM
It's the only time my wife lets me drink at 8am, so that has to be part of it:D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bisoneer
09-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Western Ill. Report:

#23 Bryce Flowers, RB, Freshman, 5’-10”, 205#, had 192 yards on 26 carriers in bad conditions (steady rain including 2hrs b4 game) and 2 TD’s, good mud runner, quick feet, follows blockers well. From Pittsburg, Ca.
#25 Caulton Ray, Sophomore, RB, 5’-9”, 205#, had 118 yds, 2 TD’s, on 29 carries, Transfer from Michigan State. In high school rated top 65 RB in the country. Saw depth chart was stacking up against him at Michigan State and decide to play elsewhere. Has 3 years remaining of eligibility, including this year.
#4 Matt Barr, 6’-2”, 210#, Senior, Good, Smart QB (All Academic All Conference), only threw 19 times in the rain, ran for more yards than passing.
Most deep balls he threw were incomplete players slipping all over the place.
#12 , Kyle Glazier, Senior, 6’-1”, 220#, LB, lead team in tackles with 11, had a few bone crushing tackles vs Indiana State that temporarily knockout Sycamore players, nose for football, Team Defensive MVP.

If NDSU puts 8 in the box look for WIU to throw, Barr has had a couple of 400 yard passing games last year. WIU lost to Purdue by 3, 2 weeks ago.

BisonNolesFan77
09-28-2010, 01:06 AM
Is WIU a solid team, without a doubt yes. Personally, people are over hyping the 10 point lose to Purdue. Purdue is garbage, they just lost to Toldeo, beat WIU by 10, and beat a 1-3 Ball State whose only win came 27-10 over Southeast Missouri St. and one of the loses to Liberty. Purdue may be the Goofers only B10 win this year. WIU rushing numbers were not all that impressive against Purdue either, 36 for 120 for a 3.3 average.

If there is one thing that I believe this NDSU Defense can do is stop the run, call me crazy but I think the front 7 this year is very solid. This will be the 3rd game the Bison have seen a Dual Threat QB, Warren is very solid, but I don't know if we will see another QB as elusive as UNI's. Adjustments were made Saturday night, and that should carry over to this weekend. I have a ton of confidence in this defense, last season they were thinking then reacting, this season they seem to be back in their comfort zone, not having to think before they react, and just playing good, solid, hard hitting defense again.

I say lets play, the Bison win by more than 10...

Bison bison
09-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Western Ill. Report:
WIU lost to Purdue by 3, 2 weeks ago.

ORLY?

How about 31-21.

WIU had a solid showing, but didn't get things done. Also, Purdue is an awful Big 10, not quite Brewster bad, but close.

Bison bison
09-28-2010, 01:18 AM
I say lets play, the Bison win by more than 10...

Sounds good.

You play. I'll drink beer and watch from the stands.

bisonfan11
09-28-2010, 01:23 AM
I am a little concerned for this game because of how well Western Illinois is doing, but not overly concerned. Other than Purdue Western Illinois has not played anyone. We have been a little suspect against the run, but then again this week we will be keying on the run. I remember how we stuffed Kansas' 245 pound back time and time again to something like 19 carries for 65 yards, so yes we can stop the run. Our pass defense is good, after limiting Dante Warren to 156 yards passing I am not too worried about stopping the pass. It is not going to be a high scoring game.

NDSU-17
WIU-10

Herd
09-28-2010, 01:45 AM
We have some DBs who can cover this year. If we need to move Lemon into the box it won't be the end of the world this year. I really like what I see from 13, 4, 1, 2, 36, 15, and 7 against the pass so far.

Bison bison
09-28-2010, 01:49 AM
http://www.dneworld.com/Portals/24/images/Lemon-box.gif

Scooter1
09-28-2010, 02:45 AM
Thanks Bisoneer, a few things I would add....

The Purdue score was actaully a 10 point difference 31-21 (still respectable)

It's hard to judge this team due to the fact that two of the wins they had were Valporaiso and Indiana St. Valporaiso has scored just 33 points in four games and are 0-4 with the other three losses being Drake 21-19, Franklin 42-7, and St Joseph's Indiana 50-7. (Who the hell are Franklin and St. Josephs and how the hell do you lose to them so badly?)

W Illinois had 406 yards against Purdue. 120 on the ground and 286 in the air. I would say that is pretty respectable. Purdue is 2-2 with wins over W Ill and Ball State (Ball State just lost to Iowa 45-0 amassing about 120 total yards for the game)

Strength of schedule so far goes to the Bison. Sagarin Rankings for the opponents are...

NDSU......Kansas 77, UNI 126, Morgan St 205, and USD 150....139.5 average
W Ill.......Purdue 96, SHSU 184, Indiana St 219, Valporiaso 243....185.5 average.

4. Purdue vs W Illinois game thoughts.

Western Illinois scored first in this contest on very good field position to take a 7-0 lead. Purdue responded to take a 17-7 lead into half time. Purdue extended it's lead to 24-7 at the end of the third quarter. It should be noted that W Illinois was held to just 11 yards of offense in the third quarter. With 7 minutes left in the game W Ill finally mounted a drive and got back on the board to bring the game to 24-14. Purdue immediately responded stretch the lead back out to 31-14. Although W Illinois started out strong gaining 140 yards in the first quarter and 406 yards of offense total, it should be mentioned that they amassed 186 of those 406 yards in the final 7 minutes of this game when Purdue was playing a soft defense trying to run out the clock. W Illinois scored a late fourth quarter TD to make this respectable, however, this game was never in question. Looking at Purdue, I don't think that they are any better than the U of Minnesota.

Since this is homecomming week for the Bison they should be ready for this game. We have seen two very elusive QB's already so we should be ready for W Illinois. The advantage for W Illinois has to be that they are deep in runningback. However, DJ is running well behind an OL that seems to have found the right combination...finally.

Last week the prognosticators predicted the Bison defense to give up three times the points they were allowing over the first three games. Once again, the defense played outstanding. The USD quarterback had very tittle time to throw and had to run to hurt us. The W Illinois QB can run, but not as well as the USD QB. This game will be won on the defensive front which I give the edge to NDSU. NDSU is deep on the DL and can really wear down an opponent. We are both 3-1 but this is in the Fargodome and we are playing very well here.

Prediction....

NDSU 34 W Illinois 17

BisonNolesFan77
09-28-2010, 04:11 AM
Thanks Bisoneer, a few things I would add....

The Purdue score was actaully a 10 point difference 31-21 (still respectable)

It's hard to judge this team due to the fact that two of the wins they had were Valporaiso and Indiana St. Valporaiso has scored just 33 points in four games and are 0-4 with the other three losses being Drake 21-19, Franklin 42-7, and St Joseph's Indiana 50-7. (Who the hell are Franklin and St. Josephs and how the hell do you lose to them so badly?)

W Illinois had 406 yards against Purdue. 120 on the ground and 286 in the air. I would say that is pretty respectable. Purdue is 2-2 with wins over W Ill and Ball State (Ball State just lost to Iowa 45-0 amassing about 120 total yards for the game)

Strength of schedule so far goes to the Bison. Sagarin Rankings for the opponents are...

NDSU......Kansas 77, UNI 126, Morgan St 205, and USD 150....139.5 average
W Ill.......Purdue 96, SHSU 184, Indiana St 219, Valporiaso 243....185.5 average.

4. Purdue vs W Illinois game thoughts.

Western Illinois scored first in this contest on very good field position to take a 7-0 lead. Purdue responded to take a 17-7 lead into half time. Purdue extended it's lead to 24-7 at the end of the third quarter. It should be noted that W Illinois was held to just 11 yards of offense in the third quarter. With 7 minutes left in the game W Ill finally mounted a drive and got back on the board to bring the game to 24-14. Purdue immediately responded stretch the lead back out to 31-14. Although W Illinois started out strong gaining 140 yards in the first quarter and 406 yards of offense total, it should be mentioned that they amassed 186 of those 406 yards in the final 7 minutes of this game when Purdue was playing a soft defense trying to run out the clock. W Illinois scored a late fourth quarter TD to make this respectable, however, this game was never in question. Looking at Purdue, I don't think that they are any better than the U of Minnesota.

Since this is homecomming week for the Bison they should be ready for this game. We have seen two very elusive QB's already so we should be ready for W Illinois. The advantage for W Illinois has to be that they are deep in runningback. However, DJ is running well behind an OL that seems to have found the right combination...finally.

Last week the prognosticators predicted the Bison defense to give up three times the points they were allowing over the first three games. Once again, the defense played outstanding. The USD quarterback had very tittle time to throw and had to run to hurt us. The W Illinois QB can run, but not as well as the USD QB. This game will be won on the defensive front which I give the edge to NDSU. NDSU is deep on the DL and can really wear down an opponent. We are both 3-1 but this is in the Fargodome and we are playing very well here.

Prediction....

NDSU 34 W Illinois 17

St. Joseph's (IN) is a D2 powerhouse...such a powerhouse that the powerhouse that is the Indiana St. Sycamores beat them 57-7 to open their season.

Twentysix
09-28-2010, 05:00 AM
St. Joseph's (IN) is a D2 powerhouse...such a powerhouse that the powerhouse that is the Indiana St. Sycamores beat them 57-7 to open their season.

How come these same NAIA and Div 2 teams play so many of our opponents? Do most D2 schedules consist of 2 or 3 Upper division teams? Could you imagine us playing 4 FBS/BCS and 7 Conference games?

And on a similar note When is U of M playing Dickinson state in football? NAIA v FCS seems similar to me.....Nebraska v Augustana?? I can feel an ESPNish vibe comeing down. Which matchup breaks 150 points first!

dannygunner
09-28-2010, 05:06 AM
Here are a couple things that make me nervous about this game that may have to do with motivation factors.

1. We are the highest ranked team in the MVFC over two teams that have actually won a conference game and another who beat us in conference play. I know we can go into the whole "Bohl won't have these guys reading the press clippings" speech, but there is always a fear of overestimating your worth. We have to remember that our starting QB is a freshman and the defenses he played against are not exactly world beaters. This brings me to my second fear...

2. WIU is not ranked in the top 25, yet the see three teams in the top 25 with one win. (Elon, UNI, and SIU) Again, we can make the argument that they have played cupcake teams. However, this is where I think WIU draws their fire from. They are going to ask questions like why aren't we ranked and where is the respect we deserve. They will come into this game with a larger chip on their shoulders than you might expect.

Lastly, the last time NDSU was ranked this high was October 11, 2008. They were number 6 in the nation and ended up losing at home to 19th ranked WIU.

Scooter1
09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Here are a couple things that make me nervous about this game that may have to do with motivation factors.

1. We are the highest ranked team in the MVFC over two teams that have actually won a conference game and another who beat us in conference play. I know we can go into the whole "Bohl won't have these guys reading the press clippings" speech, but there is always a fear of overestimating your worth. We have to remember that our starting QB is a freshman and the defenses he played against are not exactly world beaters. This brings me to my second fear...

2. WIU is not ranked in the top 25, yet the see three teams in the top 25 with one win. (Elon, UNI, and SIU) Again, we can make the argument that they have played cupcake teams. However, this is where I think WIU draws their fire from. They are going to ask questions like why aren't we ranked and where is the respect we deserve. They will come into this game with a larger chip on their shoulders than you might expect.

Lastly, the last time NDSU was ranked this high was October 11, 2008. They were number 6 in the nation and ended up losing at home to 19th ranked WIU.

You make some good points. We are ranked higher than the others, because of who we have played. Kansas is a good win. UNI is still ranked because they beat NDSU at home (quality win), S Illinois should not be ranked right now. They are 1-3 and I will not give any team credit for beating Quincy University.

There is a reason why W Ill is not ranked in the top 25. The first being that they don't have a win against a team that is considered in the top 40 for FCS and two of those wins have come from teams that are, quite frankly, horrible. Valpo has 1 win in the last 15 contests and 4 in the last 26 with 2 of those wins coming from Concordia Wisconsin. Indiana St has 2 wins in the last 37 contests, those wins being St Joseph Indiana and W ILLINOIS. Pollsters remember embarrassing losses for a period of time. This is a big reason why W Illinois remains unranked. They are going to have to show some quality wins before getting some love. Their next three games will be key.
If W Illinois wins this game, then they will probably jump up to 18th. I seriously doubt that this will happen.

steelbison
09-28-2010, 01:39 PM

Danny, one thing you fogot to mention. We haven't had a real QB since Walker. We have one now and he's only going to get better and better. The last two years had a lot of problems, but the most glaring has been a QB who's a leader.

These kids are hungry!! Last year's 3-8 record will keep them motivated for every game.

I wasn't worried about USD, not worried about WIU. We win by 10-17 points..

Twentysix
09-28-2010, 09:54 PM

These are all new kids, what happend 2 or 3 seasons ago doesnt matter. Will these same kids lose to UNI next year? They did last year so by your theory we pretty much already lost.

What happened in years previous doesnt have much to do with a game.

Example: people quoted USD not playing well in Fargo historically. That had appsolutely 0 bearing on the game, thats just media fairytale crap.

NDSU1980
09-29-2010, 04:10 AM
Danny, one thing you fogot to mention. We haven't had a real QB since Walker. We have one now and he's only going to get better and better. The last two years had a lot of problems, but the most glaring has been a QB who's a leader.

These kids are hungry!! Last year's 3-8 record will keep them motivated for every game.

I wasn't worried about USD, not worried about WIU. We win by 10-17 points..

I'll argue the QB comment a little. Remember, Jose beat these guys last year when we were in the midst of our virtual death throes. Granted, WIU wasn't very good last year, but supposedly, neither were we. Look at it this way, Mohler is the only QB in recent memory to beat these guys. Can't remember if we ever played them before 2008.

At any rate, I can't see us losing this game if the O gets going by the middle of the first quarter.

NDSUstudent
09-29-2010, 04:14 AM
I'll argue the QB comment a little. Remember, Jose beat these guys last year when we were in the midst of our virtual death throes. Granted, WIU wasn't very good last year, but supposedly, neither were we. Look at it this way, Mohler is the only QB in recent memory to beat these guys. Can't remember if we ever played them before 2008.

At any rate, I can't see us losing this game if the O gets going by the middle of the first quarter.

Walker led the Bison to a win at WIU in 2007

NDSU1980
09-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Walker led the Bison to a win at WIU in 2007

Thanks for the correction. Can't keep track of them all any more.

Notorious
09-29-2010, 01:47 PM
I think I'm with Scooter, but will go:

Bison - 35
WIU - 10

onbison09
09-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I think this comes close to a "must win". Don't want to start 0-2 in conference play. Gotta hold serve at home.

aces1180
09-29-2010, 04:45 PM
31-16 Herd

No_Skill
09-29-2010, 05:17 PM
NDSU blows out WIU - 15%
NDSU wins a close game - 65%
WIU wins a close game - 15%
WIU blows out NDSU - 5%

Out team is on the rise and it's homecoming. Gonna be a sell out, gonna be loud. We win and then I feel comfortable talking playoffs.

CAS4127
09-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Steele--come on man--"We haven't had a real QB since Walker. We have one now . . . ?! While I agree he shows potential, he has only played in one full game! I'll wait to pass judgment one way or the other after three or so games, especially if he has to lead us to a win because we are either behind or the running game is not working. Very, very seldom does a team lose a game when they rush for ~350 yards. On the other hand, it is not so rare for a team to lose a game if they pass for 350, cuz that may just mean they were trying to play catch-up.

dannygunner
09-29-2010, 10:53 PM
NDSU blows out WIU - 15%
NDSU wins a close game - 65%
WIU wins a close game - 15%
WIU blows out NDSU - 5%

Out team is on the rise and it's homecoming. Gonna be a sell out, gonna be loud. We win and then I feel comfortable talking playoffs.

To borrow a line from Jim Mora; "PLAYOFFS!!!" But I digress. I like your precentage's because I believe both of these teams mirror each other better than other team in the MVC. Both want to run before they throw and rely on a field position game and strong "D" to allow them grind it out on the ground.

dannygunner
09-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Steele--come on man--"We haven't had a real QB since Walker. We have one now . . . ?! While I agree he shows potential, he has only played in one full game! I'll wait to pass judgment one way or the other after three or so games, especially if he has to lead us to a win because we are either behind or the running game is not working. Very, very seldom does a team lose a game when they rush for ~350 yards. On the other hand, it is not so rare for a team to lose a game if they pass for 350, cuz that may just mean they were trying to play catch-up.

As weird as this sounds, this Jensen's kid start could be eerily similar to Walker's first three starts. Walker's first start of his career was at home against a ranked opponent. Result, 30-17 win. Next game was on the road against an unranked opponent. Result, 31-17 win. Finally, a road game against a ranked conference opponent. Result, 25-7 win. Obviously there is some difference with the second game, but if Jensen does come through with a solid performance in this game, I will accept Walker comparison's.

dannygunner
09-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Before the local media gets to it on Saturday, I'll break it down.

O Line: Advantage NDSU. They have the size advantage and after last weeks performance, it seems that the new alignment maybe working.
QB: Advantage WIU. Matt Barr is a duel threat and he has been a four year starter. He was also the starting QB for Western when they won in Fargo two years ago.
RB: Advantage WIU. Sure, McNortan send the turf on fire last week, but WIU has more depth. Caulton Ray is listed as the starter, but Byrce Flowers is their leading rusher. Both have had big games for WIU. While NDSU has three running backs, only one has had a big game.
Recivers: Advantage WIU. We have a big play reciever in Warren Halloway, but outside of him, it seems rather slim. WIU has three guys this year who Barr can rely on, leading the way is Terriun Crump.

D Line: Advantage NDSU. This is one of the best front fours NDSU has had in years. Best of all, is the depth that NDSU has at this position.
Linebackers: Advantage NDSU. Evans is being himself, Anderson is finally staying healthy past game one and Chad Wilson looked just fine after missing action because of a rib injury.
Secondary: Advantage NDSU. Because the front seven have been so good, the back four have been able to captalize on mistakes. This does not mean to say they have not made plays. See Daniel Eaves vs. Kansas, and SDSU.
Special Teams: Advantage NDSU. Return game can be trusted, kicking game is solid and punter John Prelvitz again proves why punting is the most underrated part of a fb game. 8 of his 22 punts have ended up inside the 20.

bri-dog
09-29-2010, 11:18 PM
27 - 13 Bison!

NDSUstudent
09-29-2010, 11:59 PM
The kool-aid tastes good, Bison 31 WIU 17.

NDSU1980
09-30-2010, 03:25 AM
27-19 Bison. I'm hoping DJ runs all over this guys.

SDbison
09-30-2010, 03:51 AM
I hope the passing game goes big and opens up the running game. I think NDSU has underplayed the passing game so long because they didn't have a guy with the IT factor to make things happen through the air. DJ is small and capable, but the defense needs to be loosened up. This Bison team will destroy teams if they come out passing and weave the run into the play mix. Brock is the real deal.

Twentysix
09-30-2010, 03:53 AM
I hope the passing game goes big and opens up the running game. I think NDSU has underplayed the passing game so long because they didn't have a guy with the IT factor to make things happen through the air. DJ is small and capable, but the defense needs to be loosened up. This Bison team will destroy teams if they come out passing and weave the run into the play mix. Brock is the real deal.

I dont think they score more than 16. I believe that means we win.

Bisonguy
09-30-2010, 04:02 AM

I hope that Brock lines up with Vandal and DJ split behind him and they run this thing called the veer, even it's only for one series. That would mess with opposing D coordinators for the rest of the season.

BisoninNWMN
09-30-2010, 11:18 AM

Very TRUE!!

If the Bison can keep a consistent passing game that stretches the field, this team will be very tough to beat.

The RFR RB (42, I think) looked like he ran hard when he came in for a series against USD. Looks like he could be a good one also.

onbison09
09-30-2010, 12:23 PM
I hope that Brock lines up with Vandal and DJ split behind him and they run this thing called the veer, even it's only for one series. That would mess with opposing D coordinators for the rest of the season.

This. :nod: :nod: :nod:

THEsocalledfan
09-30-2010, 12:45 PM

SDbison, you sound like you are being pretty positive on this Bison team as am I. I think the Bison win this one handily 31-10.

BisonNeil
09-30-2010, 12:51 PM
27-19 Bison. I'm hoping DJ runs all over this guys.

That would be nice, but it sounds like the WIU defense is tough to run on.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/293024/group/Sports/

Grizzled
09-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Defensively Western is very good. Not the most athletic team we have seen this year but much more disciplined and all very confident in eachother with the system they run.

On offense they are going to throw everything at us. They will line up with four WR's on one play and than come back in a power formation the next. Defense will have to be disciplined and know what personel is on the field.

HerdBot
09-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Very TRUE!!

If the Bison can keep a consistent passing game that stretches the field, this team will be very tough to beat.

The RFR RB (42, I think) looked like he ran hard when he came in for a series against USD. Looks like he could be a good one also.

Playaction... they cheated the safeties and when we went deep they were "shocked!"

Scooter1
09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey guys, I'm diving deeper into the numbers...cause that's my hobbie when I'm not fishing on my days off....

I was reading the paper talking about the two defenses that will be on the feild. Boy, did they make W Illinois sound impressive. Western Illinois defense is allowing 13 PPG. That is an impressive stat. Would it make a difference to you if I told you that the teams they have played have a combined average of only 17.0 PPG? That's right, only 17 PPG.

The press is touting the Sam Houston game as proof of W Illinois prowess. Did you know that Sam Houston has two linemen and a tight end back from last year on offense and 6 new defensive starters? They are giving up 34.7 PPG. and scoring only 15.7 PPG. They scored 14 on the road against the leathernecks. That's about what they are averaging for the year.

W Illinois is scoring a ton of points (around 40 PPG). Did you know that their opponents average giving up over 31 PPG? Although W Illinois had 406 yards and 21 points vs Purdue, this game was not as close as the press implies. At 24-7 midway into the fourth and you have only 11 yards to show for 3rd quarter offensive production....the game is pretty much over. 186 yards of offense in the last 7 minutes of the game on a defense playing out the clock is fine for the stats, but don't blow smoke up my ass and say that this was a close game. Purdue has a struggling offense but still managed 31 in this contest.

W Illinois offensive line averages just 279 pounds? I wonder how this is going to play out in the second half being we have a deep defensive line?

cbline
09-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for doing the homework, Scooter. I read the Forum today too, and it did give a very positive slant to the Leathernecks. The Coyotes looked either gassed or in despair during the 4th quarter last week, and hopefully our O-line can do the same on Saturday: pound it, pound it, pound it. Plus, have our D get lots of 3-and-out's.

Bison"FANatic"
09-30-2010, 02:55 PM
I agree. There is a reason that the leathernecks are not ranked. Now don't get me wrong I think it will be a tough game but I am not buying into the hype on the leathernecks. I may be wrong but I can't pick against our D against these guys. This week is going to tell a lot about their program. Are they going to be contenders or pretenders?????????

56BISON73
09-30-2010, 04:25 PM
I have one ticket available for this game on the 32 yardline. Shoot me a pm if interested.

KilldeerBison
09-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks for doing the homework, Scooter. I read the Forum today too, and it did give a very positive slant to the Leathernecks. The Coyotes looked either gassed or in despair during the 4th quarter last week, and hopefully our O-line can do the same on Saturday: pound it, pound it, pound it. Plus, have our D get lots of 3-and-out's.

I agree, but to me the bison O & D line dominated the entire 2nd half.

ndsubison1
09-30-2010, 04:42 PM

in the West Coast it makes it so much tougher to pass if you can't run. The WCO addresses getting the running game going to open up the passing game more.

ndsubison1
09-30-2010, 04:45 PM
I agree. There is a reason that the leathernecks are not ranked. Now don't get me wrong I think it will be a tough game but I am not buying into the hype on the leathernecks. I may be wrong but I can't pick against our D against these guys. This week is going to tell a lot about their program. Are they going to be contenders or pretenders?????????

Me neither. Who have they beaten? No one. They also lost by 10 to a very mediocre Purdue team. WIU may be improved from last season but they have yet to beat a quality opponent

tony
09-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Me neither. Who have they beaten? No one. They also lost by 10 to a very mediocre Purdue team. WIU may be improved from last season but they have yet to beat a quality opponent

But they can't help who they played.

I remember them being able to run the ball against some very good Bison defenses in the past. Make no mistake about it: This will be a real test and if NDSU wins, I'll be a lot more optimistic about the rest of the season.

Bison bison
09-30-2010, 05:03 PM
+++

WIU plays MVFC smashmouth football.

ndsubison1
09-30-2010, 05:11 PM

I remember them being able to run the ball against some very good Bison defenses in the past. Make no mistake about it: This will be a real test and if NDSU wins, I'll be a lot more optimistic about the rest of the season.

still doesnt change the fact that they havent played anyone. Give them SDSU's schedule and they'd prolly be 0-3 as well. They are a physical team but Bison will win.

Capn_Cat
09-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Leather Nation 9
Prairie Poopers 6

SDbison
09-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Leather Nation 9
Prairie Poopers 6
More way off predictions by Capn Crap. :smh:

WYOBISONMAN
09-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Leather Nation 9
Prairie Poopers 6

Cappy....you r just being jealous of the Herd. The UNI kitties are done for the season.....:p

Capn_Cat
09-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Cappy....you r just being jealous of the Herd. The UNI kitties are done for the season.....:p

The Kitties'll do just fine. No worries.

THEsocalledfan
09-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Leather Nation 9
Prairie Poopers 6

Capn_Cat,

Thank you for visiting our board on a regular basis to learn what it is like to follow an elite program. I also enjoyed your prediction, but you are consused; NDSU is playing WIU not UNI.....

tjbison
10-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Leather Nation 9
Prairie Poopers 6

Great more Shit from the Bogus Captain!!!

Can yo name where that quote came from:D

BisonNolesFan77
10-01-2010, 02:05 AM

Actually, they can help who they play...NCAA doesn't draw random names out of a hat and say these two teams will play a OOC game do they?

When did they run the ball in the past?

2007 in Macomb - 32 Atts. for 121 Total Rushing, Big Herbie ran for 97
2008 in Fargo - 43 Atts. for 143, Big Herbie went 26 for 124
And Last Year in Macomb - 40 Atts. for 93

Those are not exactly huge numbers by any means...not saying that WIU is not a decent team, but some people are making them sound like world beaters cause they beat a garbage ISU Blue team, a garbage Valpo team, a who knows what SHSU team, and lost to a garbage Big 10 team.

NDSU wins and wins comfortably...

BisoninNWMN
10-01-2010, 02:16 AM
Leather Nation 9
Prairie Poopers 6

LOL.....just like your "intelligent" pick last week......Bison losing by double digits......LOL

BisoninNWMN
10-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Actually, they can help who they play...NCAA doesn't draw random names out of a hat and say these two teams will play a OOC game do they?

When did they run the ball in the past?

2007 in Macomb - 32 Atts. for 121 Total Rushing, Big Herbie ran for 97
2008 in Fargo - 43 Atts. for 143, Big Herbie went 26 for 124
And Last Year in Macomb - 40 Atts. for 93

Those are not exactly huge numbers by any means...not saying that WIU is not a decent team, but some people are making them sound like world beaters cause they beat a garbage ISU Blue team, a garbage Valpo team, a who knows what SHSU team, and lost to a garbage Big 10 team.

NDSU wins and wins comfortably...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

Until our defense proves us wrong, I will take them against any offense and especially WIU's offense. They are going to line up and come at us.....GOOD!!

Bison by at least 2 TD's.

ndbj52
10-01-2010, 02:28 AM
NDSU's defense will be fine they have proven how good they are and what they can do. I'm not worried about them. I am a little worried about the offense. They looked good last week but Western Illinois offers a different defensive look and the offense is young. This defense offers something they haven't seen before. It will be fun to see how the offense responds. In the end if they run the ball like they did last week it won't matter.

BisonBabe
10-01-2010, 03:09 AM
Leather Nation 9
Prairie Poopers 6

Capn it's always nice to have you stop by. But I will again disagree with you. I will not expect a blow out but do feel comfortable with the boys that it will be a win this weekend. The team is playing pretty well now. Just hoping that they are playing well for all 4 quarters not just 2. :p

HandoEX
10-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Anyone remember late in the WIU game last year when it was 3rd and long, Jose fumbled the snap, and WIU sacked him for a big loss when it was still a one score game? We only got to keep the ball because a WIU player foolishly taunted and gave us a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down.

Well, it looks like WIU is still a fairly heavily penalized team with 32 on the year for 311 yards. Maybe they'll gift wrap one for us like they did last year...

No_Skill
10-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin'.

Headed to Fargo now. See ya'll bright and early!

Go Bison!

THEsocalledfan
10-02-2010, 01:21 AM
I am on I 29 heading north. Just passes Sisseton. Go Bison!

tjbison
10-02-2010, 01:23 AM
I am on I 29 heading north. Just passes Sisseton. Go Bison!

STOP texting while driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)