PDA

View Full Version : Keys to Victory against South Dakota

bisonfan11
09-25-2010, 02:17 AM
We are doing okay heading into week 4 with a 2-1 record. And now we are going to be facing South Dakota. From what I have seen this is a decent South Dakota team, however I think we are a bit better than they are. Here are this weeks "keys to victory".

1. Stop Dante Warren.- This is a given. Dante might be the best threat both rushing AND passing that we have seen this season. Our defense has to be on their toes and be ready to defend Warren no matter what he does. With the problems that NDSU had containing UNI's dual threat QB (I can't remember his name) is it absolutely necessary to keep Warren away from taking this game over. Do I think that Warren will have a field day like he had against Minnesota, no. But I do think that Warren will give the defense fits enough to the point where he might be able to make a big play with either his feet or his arm. If we shut down Warren, game over, Bison blow out South Dakota.

2. Offense needs to take advantage of the weak 'Yote D.-This is the same defense that gave up 350 yards of total offense to Northwestern Oklahoma State. I believe that NWOSU is a NAIA school. Yeah, the 'Yote defense is not all that solid. Sure South Dakota had 5 INT's, but they were playing a school much softer than Morgan State. This very well might be the WORST defense we play against all season long, we might as well take advantage of that and put up some points. Heck even the mess that is the Goofers had all day to throw against South Dakota. If the Bison struggle against South Dakota's defense, they are in a world of hurt because the Bison will not face any other defenses this soft (except maybe Indiana State's D).

3. Somebody has to establish them self as the #1 running back.- If McNorton is to be the #1 RB in this offense he best start looking like one. If McNorton can't then let Sigers, Voightlander, Smith, and any one else I forgot to mention have a stake at the #1 RB spot. So far all the Running backs (a position that was supposed to be a stregnth) have been mediocre at best, especially McNorton. If the Bison had that one GREAT back (a la Paschall, Roehl, and Steffes) then that would make the line look a little better.

4. The Bison have to raise the level of intensity.- South Dakota is a good team no doubt about that. If the Bison come in with a half a** attitude they will get smoked. The Bison have to come out and take over this game early. There is no "finding the offense in the 4th quarter" against South Dakota. The Bison have to make a statement and make a statement early. If they do we will have a lot to be excited about the Bison from here on out.

CaBisonFan
09-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Good post 11. Really good...:nod:

I like the intensity topic. We seem to fall into a coma from time to time...but it's much better this year so far. I'd like to see the offensive line 'run' to the line of scrimmage out of the huddle. They did some of that against Morgan State. Strange...but it seemed to send a message.

Keep writing.

bisonfan11
09-25-2010, 02:52 AM
Good post 11. Really good...:nod:

I like the intensity topic. We seem to fall into a coma from time to time...but it's much better this year so far. I'd like to see the offensive line 'run' to the line of scrimmage out of the huddle. They did some of that against Morgan State. Strange...but it seemed to send a message.

Keep writing.

Thanks CA you are one of my favorite posters, so coming from you thanks. I could only listen to the Kansas game on the radio, but from what I heard the entire team was jacked. Sure the offense stunk, but it was more the plan to play conservative to eliminate turnovers. The UNI game seemed to be a big lack of intensity and emotion, the team played flat, and that irritated me as a loyal Bison fan. Last week listening to the game (I had to work otherwise my wife and I would have been there in person) NDSU started out with out much intensity but once Morgan State got the lead at 9-7, then the intensity came back and by the 4th quarter we were seeing a team that we haven't seen this year at all. If we don't start out with the intention of really REALLY wanting to take it to South Dakota, they will beat us if our intensity is too low. Heck, if I were on the South Dakota team I'd feel good about myself too, I mean how can you not like your chances against NDSU when you beat a FBS school (a Big Ten school at that), are 2-1 and ranked 20th in the country. They will be gunning for us. The question is can we take the gas out of their tank before they have a chance to take it to us?

bisoneer
09-25-2010, 03:21 AM
Let's try Voitlander on first down runs or Sigers, then put
DJ in for 3rd down runs and pass patterns... offense has got to get going to say the least... the run has been non existent, need to keep the powerful yote O off the field, ball control will need ot be a priority!!!

loney23
09-25-2010, 06:35 AM
The bison better watch out for will powell. if they can stop him and dante warren they should be alright. it will be fun to watch preston evans this week. I think he'll have a little extra in the tank beings he grew up only an hour away from vermillion.

ndsubison1
09-25-2010, 06:36 AM
score more points then them. thats the key. im not worried, their defense sucks. ours is fine

NDSUFan_Sav
09-25-2010, 07:09 AM
score more points then them. thats the key. im not worried, their defense sucks. ours is fine

if our D-Line can get to the QB and cause hurries/sacks/etc I feel better but if not then I think our backs could struggle.

BisoninNWMN
09-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Play sound assignment sharp defense and pursue to the ball.

USD will get some yards but if the defenders stay within their assignments, we will be fine.

Offense needs to sustain drives to keep their O off the field.

I hope they kick to Smith.....I'm waiting for him to return one....:nod: :nod:

Wally
09-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Our Offensive and Defensive Lines. O Line really needs to make it happen starting now. D Line needs to be aggressive, yet be disciplined. With Warren's abilities, he is the key to stopping them offensively.