PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of Bison - Not Easy

CaBisonFan
09-24-2010, 04:26 AM
1. We have what appears to be a dominant defense in the making. Finally...the re-appearance of some defensive backs that seem to know where they're going...and a few guys that like to hit. Eaves...whoa!!

2. An outstanding, yet developing, linebacking corp.

3. A defensive line with depth, desire, and quickness. Different names come up as contributors on almost every series.

4. A running back group that 'should' be pretty strong...but they're running at holes that aren't there. Of course...running to the same gaps on first & third down most of the game isn't a good thing. Translation: Change up the plays some...and we might be surprised at our ability to run and block.

5. It 'looked' like we found our offensive leader. Will he get to play?

6. Our kicking game has been outstanding...with some lapses in coverage...but not bad.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

#4 can be adjusted and improved. Judging this offensive line is not easy. The play calling over the past 2+ years has been like watching Ground Hog Day.

#5...Does our HC have the courage? Or has he been in Washington too long? The story is still out on Jensen & Mohler...but I do believe that Brock earned the nod. I was reminded that calling an audible is possible. Man...it was fun to watch it happening.

Fix 4 & 5...and with some luck...we're contenders. Don't fix them...and this year will be like waking up in 2008 & 2009.

Is this a movie with a recurring script...or a football team in the making?

WYOBISONMAN
09-24-2010, 04:56 AM
Well put CA!

BisonNeil
09-24-2010, 01:26 PM
The play calling over the past 2+ years has been like watching Ground Hog Day. [/B]

CA, thanks for the chuckle this morning. I love that movie!

THEsocalledfan
09-24-2010, 01:57 PM
The play calling over the past 2+ years has been like watching Ground Hog Day.

CA, that was perhaps one of your funniest comments ever. I nearly spit coffe on the screen. Reps to you!

Herd
09-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Can we (the Bison) generate offense against a descent team? That is the question. KU & UNI - nothing Morgan - some, but are they a poor team? I don't really know.

If our offense is going to go 3 and out all game against good defenses, then we are in trouble. I was a Jose fan to start the season, but I have changed sides for SD. I think Jensen gives our offense much more potential in the passing game.

bisonmike2
09-24-2010, 04:11 PM
The play calling over the past 2+ years has been like watching Ground Hog Day.

Great breakdown CA, but I disagree with you on this. I think you meant this as an insult, but after further examination, it's a compliment.

First of all, Ground Hog Day is a great movie, and very underrated. It's some of Bill Murray's best work.

Second, it's estimated that Bill Murray spent 8.7 years stuck in the time loop. (source: http://www.wolfgnards.com/index.php/2009/06/16/how-long-does-billy-murray-spend-in-grou) Much longer than our recent streak of bland play calling but look what Bill Murray's character was able to accomplish in that time.

He became and expert pianist and ice sculptor. He also used that time to learn french and card tricks as well as his most impressive feat, the bank robbery. Think of all the steps he needed to memorize and execute at the appropriate time. That's practice and dedication to execute that feat is impressive and that level would be greatly appreciated around NDSU football.

stevdock
09-24-2010, 04:52 PM
What I'm looking forward to this game for is to find out if we actually know something about this team. We think we have a good defense, but do we know it for sure?? (How good are the teams we've played) We think we may have found a QB, but we don't know that for sure either. And we don't even definitely know if Mohler isn't that QB to be honest.

CaBisonFan
09-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Great breakdown CA, but I disagree with you on this. I think you meant this as an insult, but after further examination, it's a compliment.

First of all, Ground Hog Day is a great movie, and very underrated. It's some of Bill Murray's best work.

Second, it's estimated that Bill Murray spent 8.7 years stuck in the time loop. (source: http://www.wolfgnards.com/index.php/2009/06/16/how-long-does-billy-murray-spend-in-grou) Much longer than our recent streak of bland play calling but look what Bill Murray's character was able to accomplish in that time.

He became and expert pianist and ice sculptor. He also used that time to learn french and card tricks as well as his most impressive feat, the bank robbery. Think of all the steps he needed to memorize and execute at the appropriate time. That's practice and dedication to execute that feat is impressive and that level would be greatly appreciated around NDSU football.

Accurate on the insult part...but actually more frustration. I love the movie...but I don't want to watch it eleven times each fall for the next seven or eight years. For me...football is fun to watch when teams are creative on both sides of the ball. The teams that are really successful are creative, talented, and execute well on a regular basis. Not news to you, I'm sure...but that's what I enjoy watching. I'm used to seeing it in Bison football. I'll rent the movie if I want to watch it.

Bill Murray is one of my favorite actors...ever. His in-laws actually live here in Hemet, CA. There have been Murray sitings at one of the local pubs several times...and he's been seen riding a Harley downtown many times.

You've made some very good points. My only comment would be to say that 7 or 8 years might be a stretch in terms of establishing an offense that works. I wouldn't mind seeing a hint of artistry on offense... :D

Relating to other comments made...I don't see Brock as a slam-dunk QB yet. I just think that he deserves the nod for tomorrow. The offense actually moved...and it sustained some drives in the 2nd half. I felt that Morgan State was pretty doggone physical at several positions. What they really lack is a QB. They'd be decent if they had one.