PDA

View Full Version : Bison offensive line looks to find form against South Dakota

99Bison
09-23-2010, 11:31 PM
It’s been a tough start for North Dakota State’s offensive line. A unit that has traditionally been a strength for the Bison unexpectedly finds itself in the glaring spotlight as a glaring weakness.

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=285

BisoninNWMN
09-23-2010, 11:53 PM
There will be growing pains with this combination but once they get into form they will be very good.

Fightin' Bison
09-24-2010, 12:11 AM
"In an attempt to find the right combination to unlock the struggling running game, last weekend, the Bison reshuffled the entire offensive line, with the exception of left tackle Michael Arndt. Austin Richard moved from center to left guard, Joe Lund moved from left guard to center, Paul Cornick moved from right tackle to right guard, and Billy Turner entered the line up at right tackle."

This a lot like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic. Everything is in a different place but its still the same pieces of furniture.

OldBison
09-24-2010, 01:45 PM
No question the OL is the weak link. I hope inexperience is the problem and not a lack of talent, but only time will tell I guess. :hide:

I found it interesting what Bohl said about the RBs:

"... the Bison running backs have to make a play when presented with the opportunity. “[O]ur running backs need to make some plays. They’ve got to get to the point where they’ve got a defender there and they’ve got to beat some people,” said Bohl."

Running backs? As in plural? As in more than one? DJ has had 40% of the carries, Sigers about 13% and Voit a meggar 6%. I'd say the probability is that there is only one guy not making the plays when needed and I don't think Voit is getting enough of a shot to contribute. Besides, DJ is horrible in pass protection when he stays in the pocket to help out. :banghead:

buffalobob
09-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I think that's another reason our o-line looks to be struggling. We don't have a Kyle Steffes, Tyler Roehl, or Pat Paschall. We have to remember that the last three all got a look at the pros. A inexperienced line and a so-so runningback do not make for a great combination!

NDSUstudent
09-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I'd love to see Voigt get 50% of the carries just once. I don't understand why he or that Lang kid aren't more involved more.

tony
09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
There will be growing pains with this combination but once they get into form they will be very good.

Agreed (as long as they stay healthy.)

BraxtonT
09-25-2010, 05:54 AM
I think that's another reason our o-line looks to be struggling. We don't have a Kyle Steffes, Tyler Roehl, or Pat Paschall. We have to remember that the last three all got a look at the pros. A inexperienced line and a so-so runningback do not make for a great combination!

Not jumping on you, buffalobob, but most Bisonville members were saying that RB would be just fine this year. You are right about Kyle, Tyer, and PP not being around anymore. If DJ doesn't get 100 yards against a suspect defense like USD, I hope Coach Bohl will be more willing to test the waters with his other options.

Oh, the O-line wasn't looking too bad when Jensen was opening up the field with his runs and his throwing ability.

Go Rams!! Prove 'em all wrong!

lakesbison
09-25-2010, 04:19 PM
DJ gets 150+ 2tds.

Today is when we get out swagga back

A1pigskin
09-26-2010, 02:32 AM
The offensive line did good today.

semobison
09-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Lakes, you way underestimated DJ! Hopefully this thread will be put to rest also!

A1pigskin
09-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Lakes, you way underestimated DJ! Hopefully this thread will be put to rest also!

He had some holes today.

THEsocalledfan
09-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Did the student do the old "There's hole in you defense" chant? Or, do they not know the classics?

steelbison
09-26-2010, 02:41 AM
He had some holes today.

True..but he made a lot of people miss and his cuts were great.

Voit had a couple of runs where if he would have followed his blocking outside he would have had big runs. Instead he stuck it up for a couple of three yard gains.

DJ deserves the kudos after people have bashed him for years.

A1pigskin
09-26-2010, 02:44 AM
DJ did gain yards up the middle by diving, which he gained 3 or 4 each time. I want to see the same performance in the next game. DJ's 250 yds today is very respectable.

No_Skill
09-26-2010, 02:48 AM
DJ did gain yards up the middle by diving, which he gained 3 or 4 each time. I want to see the same performance in the next game. DJ's 250 yds today is very respectable.

Respectable? Hell after that game I'd play him over Chris Johnson on my fantasy team

MinotBison
09-26-2010, 02:52 AM
If they were looking to find their form, I think that after tonight's game, it's safe to say they found it. Big time.

steelbison
09-26-2010, 02:54 AM

if 250 is just "respectable" what's a good game..500 plus?:banghead: :banghead:

semobison
09-26-2010, 03:00 AM
Id say its a little better than respectable! DJ is great when he can get to the second level. He might not be the guy I would want to get 3 tough yards but you get him into the secondary he is exciting!

Tatanka
09-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Did the student do the old "There's hole in you defense" chant? Or, do they not know the classics?

Students defintely need some education in the classics. Perhaps a Bison History 101 class is in order?

tony
09-26-2010, 06:43 PM

Yeah, DJ might have been tackled going sideways once the whole game.

I'll have to rewatch the game but I think he might have broken more tackles than ankles (and he broke A LOT of ankles.)