PDA

View Full Version : Defensive improvement by the numbers

99Bison
09-23-2010, 05:01 AM
Comparing the 2009 and 2010 numbers through week 3

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=284

WYOBISONMAN
09-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Those stats look like we are heading the right direction on D. Now.....hopefully the offense will follow!

HandoEX
09-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Wowzers, those statistical improvements are pretty amazing. It's cool to see a year over year comparison, thanks!

SDBisonbacker
09-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Helps when the front four can dop their job and the linebackers do not play 9 yards back like last year. The games i went to last year drove me nuts watching the line stand, read, react and the middle linebackers play so far back. Going back to what these Junior and Seniors were recruited to do, play "Tampa 2' helps a lot.

CAS4127
09-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Not tryin to be negative here, but I am just not sold on this D yet! Lots of MVFC teams run spread offenses and include speed option in the mix. We have not effectively defended that play for several years. Not to repeat myself, but this started in 2nd have of Wyoming game, and has never been corrected. Also, to supplement what SDBb is sayin relative to LB's, I do not think they are being properly coached on pass defense. It is one thing to get to your coverage area, it is another to keep your head on a swivel so that you see who is coming into your zone, and then move/slide to cover that player while keeping an eye on QB to see where he may be thinking of throwing. Footnote: Mohler is "very good" at telegraphing his passes--not a good thing obviously.

OldBison
09-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I don't agree that going from 1.3 sacks in the first three games to 3 sacks in 3 games is a huge improvement. One sack a game is still a statistic of ineffective pass rushing :hide:

Likewise, 1.3 turnovers to 2 TOs? Come on!

If this D can keep USD under 14 pts, then I will believe we have a transformed defense.

99Bison
09-23-2010, 06:00 PM
To me looks like the PPG, TO's, 3rd down are the big improvment.

MN_BISON
09-23-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't agree that going from 1.3 sacks in the first three games to 3 sacks in 3 games is a huge improvement. One sack a game is still a statistic of ineffective pass rushing :hide:

If this D can keep USD under 14 pts, then I will believe we have a transformed defense.

Doubtful, you'll find something else to b!tch about. :D

NDSUstudent
09-23-2010, 06:04 PM
The biggest stat there is the 3rd %. That was our Achilles heal last year, we could never get the other team off the field on third down.

Oh and a three sack per game average would be good enough for 8th last year in the FCS. Great to see the pressure being forced, that is huge in the Tampa 2.

Fightin' Bison
09-23-2010, 06:08 PM
To me looks like the PPG and TO's are the big improvment.

Yards per pass completion and yards per rush are not looking good. If they don't get in the end zone, though, I guess it isn't that important.

HandoEX
09-27-2010, 04:48 PM

What are you going to complain about now? :D

11 ppg through 4 games is pretty stout.

KC Bison
09-27-2010, 05:03 PM

Darn, apparently we still have a bad defense.

90BISON
09-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Darn, apparently we still have a bad defense.

But we are getting ever so close.....if we could have just blocked that field goal, we would then have an awesome defense! ;)

ISXBISON
09-27-2010, 05:09 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the article I believe it's a 1.3 to 3 sack avg/game, not 3 in 3 games. That's a pretty decent improvement.

Bisonguy
09-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the article I believe it's a 1.3 to 3 sack avg/game, not 3 in 3 games. That's a pretty decent improvement.

That is correct on both accounts.

The defense also now has six interceptions through 4 games. That's twice as many for the ENTIRE 2009 season. Very good improvement there.