PDA

View Full Version : A little crow eating is in order......

WYOBISONMAN
09-20-2010, 03:13 PM
It is about time for WYOBISONMAN to eat some crow. I was always a staunch defender of Mike Breske as DC and I thought we ran him out of town too soon. It sure looks like I was completely wrong on this issue. (No surprise as I am just a stupid fan out in Wyoming)! After Breske taking the reins as DC at Montana, the Griz are sitting at 1-2 with a piss poor looking defense. At NDSU Breske is gone and our defense is much improved! I am happy to eat crow over this one......

Please pass the spuds......

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2009/04/24/1240605367-eating_crow.jpg

MontanaBisonFan
09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Glad to see Breske in Missoula.
First time I can remember the Griz losing with the Bison and Bobcats winning on the same Saturday.
Hope to see Sac State score 35 points against Breske next Saturday too.

bisonmike2
09-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Can we start a movement to get him to go to UNI or SDSU?

HandoEX
09-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Breske just plain sucks. Thank God he is gone.

Greenie
09-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Regarding Breske --- as Colin Cowherd says...never hire the career assistant. He always followed Joe Glenn around, and if he would have been a 'star' assistant --> he would have been hired as a head coach somewhere.

TransAmBison
09-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Wyo, you better pass a plate to me...looks like I need a big helping as well...

HandoEX
09-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Regarding Breske --- as Colin Cowherd says...never hire the career assistant. He always followed Joe Glenn around, and if he would have been a 'star' assistant --> he would have been hired as a head coach somewhere.

Agreed. Also, never hire someone with a degree from SDSU.

steelbison
09-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Agreed. Also, never hire someone with a degree from SDSU.

THIS!!!

I think a big part of his problem is we run a tampa 2..Montana runs a tampa 2 and we both hired a guy that runs a 3-4....

No matter how hard you try that is just not going to work..

WYOBISONMAN
09-20-2010, 07:03 PM
THIS!!!

I think a big part of his problem is we run a tampa 2..Montana runs a tampa 2 and we both hired a guy that runs a 3-4....

Does Montana run a Tampa 2? I asked what they were running over on egriz, but they are in such a damn meltdown overthere I am unable to get a straight answer.

90BISON
09-20-2010, 07:07 PM
It is about time for WYOBISONMAN to eat some crow. I was always a staunch defender of Mike Breske as DC and I thought we ran him out of town too soon. It sure looks like I was completely wrong on this issue. (No surprise as I am just a stupid fan out in Wyoming)! After Breske taking the reins as DC at Montana, the Griz are sitting at 1-2 with a piss poor looking defense. At NDSU Breske is gone and our defense is much improved! I am happy to eat crow over this one......

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2009/04/24/1240605367-eating_crow.jpg

Don't be so hard on yourself WYO.....Maybe like you, I was at least hopefully optomistic about Breske's ability as the DC......it is becoming obvious very quickly, that he in-fact, sucked! :ranting:

steelbison
09-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Does Montana run a Tampa 2? I asked what they were running over on egriz, but they are in such a damn meltdown overthere I am unable to get a straight answer.

They did last year for sure...not sure what they are running now..my point was if you recruit kids to fit a system and then try to run a completely different system you will have trouble.

I know he has a history there..but looking at our situation I was surprised they went in that direction.

BisonNeil
09-20-2010, 07:24 PM

I've got the spuds if you'll pass the bird!

As much as it pains me to say this, I can't disagree with this. Besides, since he left Breske has shunned me and will not return my emails.

You should have smothered it with BBQ sauce, it would have gone down better.

DjKyRo
09-20-2010, 10:14 PM
I'll just continue to pimp the sh!t out of Hazleton. :nod:

NWNDBison
09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
THIS!!!

Thanks, SteelBison for putting a bit of a positive spin on this. I feel sorry for Breske. I don't know him, but I guess he's an average Joe who's fun to have a beer with. And he probably actually believed in himself.

He's probably feeling a lot worse than any of us about his lack of ability to get the job done.

Hope you can land a job where your talents work, Mr. Breske, but in any case...

...there's always insurance sales.

WYOBISONMAN
09-20-2010, 10:39 PM
They did last year for sure...not sure what they are running now..my point was if you recruit kids to fit a system and then try to run a completely different system you will have trouble.

I know he has a history there..but looking at our situation I was surprised they went in that direction.

Finally a response on egriz. Here is what I was told....

Of course it is different from last year. We did not blitz a tenth as much last year, and for what type of defense it is, I can't say. Most of the time he has a four man front, but he drops linemen, and brings whoever, so you really can't say he uses a 4-3 or a 3-4 or sometimes he uses an 8-3, and I mean that seriously.

westnodak93bison
09-20-2010, 11:08 PM
imho, Breske made things too complicated and the players were "thinking" too much and were always a 1/2 second late.

X-Factor
09-20-2010, 11:13 PM

I vote UNI!

Pst, don't tell Cap'n Cat. It will be our little surprise :p

WYOBISONMAN
09-20-2010, 11:50 PM
imho, Breske made things too complicated and the players were "thinking" too much and were always a 1/2 second late.

And this now from egriz.....

Yes basically a 4-3 but I have seen some 3-4 also. He moves guys around so much it's tough to tell sometimes. Yes they play cover 2 alot of the time but they also blitz a safety from time to time which is very dangerous out of a cover 2. I think the defense is multiple, I don't know any other way to describe it.

It sounds similar to what he was trying to do here. Pretty complex with a lot of shifting.

NDSUstudent
09-20-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't want to bash the guy too much because our team had a ton of problems last year, especially in regards to injuries at LB. But I do agree his defense was too complex, it seemed like it took the aggressiveness out of our defense.

DjKyRo
09-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Sounds like a great defensive scheme if you're in the pros where every player has the knowledge and awareness necessary to know a complex assignment like that (not to mention the safeties have the speed to blitz) but in college I just don't see where a scheme like that works.

CaBisonFan
09-21-2010, 12:07 AM
You really don't have to eat that plate. Looks like a killer to me.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-21-2010, 03:00 AM

Nah, let them fight over Vigen. :D

SDSUAlum08
09-21-2010, 04:52 AM
I don't want to bash the guy too much because our team had a ton of problems last year, especially in regards to injuries at LB. But I do agree his defense was too complex, it seemed like it took the aggressiveness out of our defense.

I would think that with his type of defense you really need to have good LBs. NDSU was hurt bad by injuries and other things last year at this postion. Add in the fact that his defense seems to be so complex and you take the agressiveness out of the players due to them thinking and then reacting. I'm sure the guy is smart as hell, though. I wouldn't doubt that maybe someone needed to be blamed with the poor performance last year and he ended up being that guy. Championships don't happen over night and the Griz are learning that too.

Well...that's figured out. :bow:

Now to figure out how SDSU can win a game......

JackJD
09-21-2010, 05:23 AM
I vote UNI!

Pst, don't tell Cap'n Cat. It will be our little surprise :p

Breske played for SDSU. He was a grad assistant at UNI. I think both programs wished him well and sent him out to work elsewhere.

Maybe he's some sort of undercover bad guy? Perhaps he should go to UND.

westnodak93bison
09-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Sounds like a great defensive scheme if you're in the pros where every player has the knowledge and awareness necessary to know a complex assignment like that (not to mention the safeties have the speed to blitz) but in college I just don't see where a scheme like that works.

Agree whole heartedly. Breske made things too complicated imho. Players were thinking too much instead of being aggressive.