PDA

View Full Version : Is Bohl too slow to make a change?

WYOBISONMAN
09-20-2010, 03:08 PM
I did not see the Morgan State game live, had to watch the video after the fact (I was too busy watching WYO get raped by Boise State). But, the thought that occurs to me is that perhaps Bohl is to resistant to changing the plan when things are not working. Clearly his hand was forced putting Jensen in due to the injury to Jose.

This possible resistance to change the game plan when what is being tried is failing bothers me. It took far to long to bench Mertens when things were heading in a bad direction during the past two seasons. Last year, by the time Mertens was benched, the season was already lost.

This year Bohl's hand was forced to make a QB change when an injury occured. I just can't help but wonder how long the change may have taken if there was no injury. The Bison can't sit mired in mediocrity. When things appear to not be working, I hope the staff will make changes rather than continuing with business as usual.

I surely wish Jose all the best and hope that he is healed and healthy soon!

roadwarrior
09-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Don't forget how Bohl didn't put Walker in as starting QB the week following his almost miracle rescue of the northern colorado game.

OrygunBison
09-20-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't think it is a given that Jensen is the QB once Jose is healthy. If Jose is still sitting this week due to injury and Brock has a poor showing, what would YOU do?

bisonmike2
09-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't think it is a given that Jensen is the QB once Jose is healthy. If Jose is still sitting this week due to injury and Brock has a poor showing, what would YOU do?

Pop quiz hot shot. What do you do!?
http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp-content/uploads/imageskeanu-speed-small.jpg
Shoot the hostage.

And you put in Dante Perez and begin preparing for the 2011 season.

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I did not see the Morgan State game live, had to watch the video after the fact (I was too busy watching WYO get raped by Boise State). But, the thought that occurs to me is that perhaps Bohl is to resistant to changing the plan when things are not working. Clearly his hand was forced putting Jensen in due to the injury to Jose.

This possible resistance to change the game plan when what is being tried is failing bothers me. It took far to long to bench Mertens when things were heading in a bad direction during the past two seasons. Last year, by the time Mertens was benched, the season was already lost.

This year Bohl's hand was forced to make a QB change when an injury occured. I just can't help but wonder how long the change may have taken if there was no injury. The Bison can't sit mired in mediocrity. When things appear to not be working, I hope the staff will make changes rather than continuing with business as usual.

He said that he planned on playing Brock anyway. I think the difference this time is simple. Stauss and Mertens were the absolute crystal clear #1 QB's on the team, having started for over a year. Jose was the late fill in starter last year only after the season was lost and he barely beat out Brock this year. He's never been the clear #1 guy, even as late as 2 weeks before the season started. I think he keeps Brock as the starter with a short leash. At any time, he can go back to Jose. But the consensus is everyone wants Brock to start because he's got the potential to be a 3-1/2 year starter, which is HUGE!

Bison"FANatic"
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I agree that he does take to long but I thought I read in Sundays paper or heard on the radio that he said Jenson was going to get playing time anyway against Morgan. Now I guess that could have been as much as Perez was able to get but it sounded like Jenson was going to get a look.

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 03:51 PM

If the offense plays like it did in the 2nd half there is no chance he loses the spot but if it sputters, a decision would have to be made. It all depends on what he struggles with. I think both guys are solid but I like the idea of a 4 year starter. It will pay dividends down the road.

Mad Dog 20-20
09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Since you mentioned it...Why isn't Voigtlander getting any carries? I like McNorton, but I never thought MV would be a guy that wouldn't see the ball. Anybody have any insight to why he isn't playing more?

OldBison
09-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Give Bohl a break!

With the lack of QB recruiting throughout most of his tenure at NDSU he has not had any experience thinking about putting another QB in the game because he has never had one before to even consider. Come on, the guy is adjusting to new experiences, give him some time :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

OldBison
09-20-2010, 04:16 PM
I agree that he does take to long but I thought I read in Sundays paper or heard on the radio that he said Jenson was going to get playing time anyway against Morgan. Now I guess that could have been as much as Perez was able to get but it sounded like Jenson was going to get a look.

Jensen. JENSEN. JENSEN. JENSEN!!! With an 'e', get it? I think it behooves all of us to spell the players names correctly, it ain't that hard to show respect :blush: :bow:

Bison"FANatic"
09-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Ya I also think Jenson will have a great game against USD. I guess time will tell.

WYOBISONMAN
09-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Give Bohl a break!

With the lack of QB recruiting throughout most of his tenure at NDSU he has not had any experience thinking about putting another QB in the game because he has never had one before to even consider. Come on, the guy is adjusting to new experiences, give him some time :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I doubt anyone would ever be accusing me of rushing to judgement on Bohl. That being said, a lot of fans are wondering about his apparent resistance to make a change.

OrygunBison
09-20-2010, 04:52 PM
But the consensus is everyone wants Brock to start because he's got the potential to be a 3-1/2 year starter, which is HUGE!

While I agree with your point, consensus amongst fans isn't really all that important to a coach.

While I generally want to put the best guy on the field for any game, the potential of almost 4 full years of a starting QB has me really jazzed.

THEsocalledfan
09-20-2010, 05:36 PM
I doubt anyone would ever be accusing me of rushing to judgement on Bohl. That being said, a lot of fans are wondering about his apparent resistance to make a change.

Wyo, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. He clearly said but post-game and during the Craig Bohl show that he planned on playing Brock, regardless of Mohler's performance, so I think he may be "getting it," he just is a slow learner.

Everone, take a deep breath as every indication I am hearing, at this point, is Brock will start at least next week. I am sure we will know more after the press conference.

NDSU1980
09-20-2010, 05:39 PM

Yea, just like Jose got playing time against Wagner last year too. About as much as Perez got on Saturday, which was no more then a couple plays. After last years QB fiasco, I've got little faith in Bohl.

aces1180
09-20-2010, 05:41 PM
According to Kolpack's Twitter, NDSU lists Jose Mohler or Brock Jensen as the starter vs. USD.

http://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER

TransAmBison
09-20-2010, 05:44 PM
I would consider it a smart move to not announce the starting qb until gametime...but if it isn't Jensen...well, I already told you guys the plan.

THEsocalledfan
09-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I would consider it a smart move to not announce the starting qb until gametime...but if it isn't Jensen...well, I already told you guys the plan.

Was this the plan?

http://www.niklassmith.com/torch%20mob.jpg

TransAmBison
09-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Was this the plan?

Pretty close...

GradBison
09-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Was this the plan?

Yes, with a little more pitchforks sprinkled in.

I'm in if needed.

tony
09-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Was this the plan?

Is that supposed to be intimidating? Nobody is even wearing yellow.

Tatanka
09-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Is that supposed to be intimidating? Nobody is even wearing yellow.

Dude. Even our band director is IN, and I see at least one dome nazi.

steelbison
09-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Yea, just like Jose got playing time against Wagner last year too. About as much as Perez got on Saturday, which was no more then a couple plays. After last years QB fiasco, I've got little faith in Bohl.

You have to remember one thing..last year Jose was suspended and he made his own bed.

He had to prove himself off the field as well as your QB has to be your leader. Bohl really didn't have a choice to play him early in the year. People seem to forget that.

Brock, from what I"m told is a leader and hopefully takes this team to new heights.

bisonfan11
09-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Just look at the running back position for an answer to that question. McNorton has done NOTHING for us and yet Bohl won't even think to start Voightlander. The funny thing is that I was listening to the game on Saturday and one of the commentators even said that McNorton does not fit the"mold" of a NDSU back. NDSU runs a power running sceme that requires a back to run north/south. McNorton is more of an east/west runner, that is why McNorton is only averaging like 2.9 yards/carry. Remember the passing game clicked more with Brock Jensen than with Mohler, perhaps the ground game would be better with Voightlander instead of McNorton. And by the way how could Mike Sigers jump a head of Voightlander in the depth chart. Sigers is more of a 3rd down speed back than an every down back.

bisonmike2
09-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Just look at the running back position for an answer to that question. McNorton has done NOTHING for us and yet Bohl won't even think to start Voightlander. The funny thing is that I was listening to the game on Saturday and one of the commentators even said that McNorton does not fit the"mold" of a NDSU back. NDSU runs a power running sceme that requires a back to run north/south. McNorton is more of an east/west runner, that is why McNorton is only averaging like 2.9 yards/carry. Remember the passing game clicked more with Brock Jensen than with Mohler, perhaps the ground game would be better with Voightlander instead of McNorton. And by the way how could Mike Sigers jump a head of Voightlander in the depth chart. Sigers is more of a 3rd down speed back than an every down back.

Completely agree. In the presser today, he made it a point to say that DJ is the guy at RB. I have seen nothing from DJ this year that would warrant that security. He had a couple of nice runs against Kansas, but that's it. Why not throw out Voit? He can't do any worse than DJ's 2.9 ypc. I don't trust Bohl with the RB decision, and I especially don't trust him with the QB decision. Brock needs to start this week.

ndsubison1
09-20-2010, 09:02 PM
As for the RB situation I think it's been more of the OL struggling then anything

Tatanka
09-20-2010, 09:04 PM
As for the RB situation I think it's been more of the OL struggling then anything

This .

56BISON73
09-20-2010, 09:21 PM

Did Jensen have more yards than DJ???? It looked like it to me.

56BISON73
09-20-2010, 09:21 PM

Big part of it.

Bison"FANatic"
09-20-2010, 09:25 PM
It also helped when we started to be able to pass DJ started to get some decent runs. I know Bohl always preaches we use the run to set up the pass.... but dang when they stack the box we have to use the pass to set up the run and hopefully we will be able to. The O line is going to need to continue to improve and that is a position that you can see great strides from week to week.

EndZoneQB
09-20-2010, 09:52 PM
From what I understand, Voigt hasn't been the workaholic he wishes had. I can all but guarantee the reason he has moved down in the depth chart is because of this fact(if indeed really true). Maybe he just doesn't apply himself, so therefore doesn't "deserve" a shot at being the starter? If so, I have to commend Bohl. He suspended our best RB already, so I wouldn't put it past him.

tony
09-20-2010, 10:04 PM

Yeah, DJ has had some nice runs. You can't do much when the defense has just as much a chance of getting the handoff as you do.

Bisonguy
09-21-2010, 12:08 AM

Compare DJ and Voigt in the Kansas game, since they were in on many of the same drives. Take away Voigt's long run of 4 yards, and he had four runs for a grand total of one yard (averaging 0.8 ypc on the season). DJ was pretty much doubling Voigt's runs on the same drives. Not exactly a great case for giving Voigt more carries. Last year's performance is history, and he's done even less than DJ with the poor OL performance this year.

CaBisonFan
09-21-2010, 12:10 AM

I second this motion...but like in baseball, don't take out a hot pitcher. Jensen looks like he could be the ace of the staff. A little early to tell, but he really had presence on the field after the first couple of possessions. It was striking.

My guess is that Bohl will put Jose back in when he's ready. :banghead: