PDA

View Full Version : USD fan wants some help

yoteforever
09-20-2010, 02:09 AM
My wife and I are driving in for the game Saturday and have never been to the Dome before. Is there plenty of room in and around the Dome to tailgate? I am unfamiliar with the area.

Coming in from I-29 I go where?

TheBisonator
09-20-2010, 02:11 AM
1) West Parking Lot is where the tailgate happens. Plenty of parking room, you might want to set your car up on the east lot.

2) Coming north from I-29, take the 19th Ave. North exit and go right, past the airport entrance. Or, if you want to go thru the NDSU campus, take 12th Ave. north, go right, and go north on Albrecht Boulevard. Take a left on Albrecht at the Jimmy John's.

DjKyRo
09-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Come tailgate in the West Lot, plenty to see and do!

yoteforever
09-20-2010, 02:13 AM
1) West Parking Lot is where the tailgate happens. Plenty of parking room, you might want to set your car up on the east lot.

2) Coming north from I-29, take the 19th Ave. North exit and go right, past the airport entrance. Or, if you want to go thru the NDSU campus, take 12th Ave. north, go right, and go north on Albrecht Boulevard. Take a left on Albrecht at the Jimmy John's.

So should I park in the West lot or East Lot?

EndZoneQB
09-20-2010, 02:14 AM
My wife and I are driving in for the game Saturday and have never been to the Dome before. Is there plenty of room in and around the Dome to tailgate? I am unfamiliar with the area.

I-29, to 12th ave north exit, head east, turn onto 18th st n after the bridge, there are signs for it. Then it's 17th ave north. If it's before 1pm(gates open 5hrs before kickoff), you'll see a huge line of cars. If not, you'll see a field/parking lot packed with the same. We have a entire lot for reserved tailgating with big rigs in it, plus a massive grass field that gets pretty filled up. Not trying to be cocky about it, but it is without a question the best tailgating scene in the FCS. Come early, stay late, you'll have a blast. Lots of businesses get involved, plenty of things to do, people to see.

If you have tailgating stuff, park in the west lot area. It'll be on grass, but theres a lot of room. Like I said, get there pretty early tho.

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 02:14 AM

Take the 19th ave north exit. Take a right and you will see the dome from a few miles away. Take the first right into the dome and you can park and tail gate for 3 bucks. You can bring alcohol but it has to be in a plastic cup.

99Bison
09-20-2010, 02:15 AM

If you want to tailgate out of your vehicle with alchol you have to park in the west lot, however you will be in the grass as the paved areas are reserved.

If you are not tailgating out of your vehicle, park east, walk to west for tailgate scene.

yoteforever
09-20-2010, 02:17 AM
I-29, to 12th ave north exit, head east, turn onto 18th st n after the bridge, there are signs for it. Then it's 17th ave north. If it's before 1pm(gates open 5hrs before kickoff), you'll see a huge line of cars. If not, you'll see a field/parking lot packed with the same. We have a entire lot for reserved tailgating with big rigs in it, plus a massive grass field that gets pretty filled up. Not trying to be cocky about it, but it is without a question the best tailgating scene in the FCS. Come early, stay late, you'll have a blast. Lots of businesses get involved, plenty of things to do, people to see

If you have tailgating stuff, park in the west lot area. It'll be on grass, but theres a lot of room. Like I said, get there pretty early tho.

Looking forward to it. can't wait. Heard alot about your tailgates so want t experience it first hand

Tatanka
09-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Lot west of the Fargodome to tailgate. Unless it's raining--then park east of the dome and walk around to the west side. The only spots that aren't sold out on the west side are on the grass. $3.00 to park either way.

Plenty of tailgating action on the west side though. NDSU does it better than most, as you'll see on Saturday. Stop by the Horny Bison tailgate and say hi!

By far the better way to get to the dome is I-29 N to 19th Ave N. Head east on 19th, and turn right when you see the dome.

See you on Saturday!

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 02:25 AM
Looking forward to it. can't wait. Heard alot about your tailgates so want t experience it first hand

Were not on the same level as a Big Ten or Twelve school but for FCS we know how to do it with the best. Have fun, hopefully you guys find your way to the Missouri Valley and we get to do this every year. Being an independent would suck.

TheBisonator
09-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Were not on the same level as a Big Ten or Twelve school but for FCS we know how to do it with the best. Have fun, hopefully you guys find your way to the Missouri Valley and we get to do this every year. Being an independent would suck.

I sure as hell don't want them in the Valley. Not unless they improve/expand that dome of theirs...

SDbison
09-20-2010, 02:36 AM
Not sure anybody pointed it out yet, but the entire west side of the dome is for tailgating with alcohol. I believe it is still only $3.00 for parking (all the paved lots on west side are for reserved tailgate spots that pay a higher amount for the season. Not sure if anybody tailgates without alcohol on the north, east, or south side of the dome, but I am sure there are some that do.
From I-29 you can take either the 12th ave or 19th ave north exits and then head east. For the west lot, regardless if you approach from the north (19th ave) or south (12th ave - have to go through campus) you will drive along the west edge of the dome and then turn into the lot and head west. Paved lots are closest with the grass fields further out. The lots fill up fast as people start lining up an hour or more in advance. The reserved lot vehicles are allowed into the tailgate area a half hour earlier than the 5 hours in advance for all other vehicles. For the USD game reserved tailgate opens at 12:30 PM all others 1:00 PM. To get a good grass spot near the trees I would suggest you get in line by at least 12 noon.

yoteforever
09-20-2010, 02:37 AM
I sure as hell don't want them in the Valley. Not unless they improve/expand that dome of theirs...

Thanks for the warm welcome Bisonator

EndZoneQB
09-20-2010, 02:39 AM

We are absolutely better than the Gophers. Don't know about any other B10 schools. I thought we were very similar to Iowa State, albeit on a smaller scale. Realistically, it's very much like a big school, with less people. If we had 50k+ people there it'd be CRAZY.

SDbison
09-20-2010, 02:43 AM
yoteforever, how many fans do you think will make the trip from SD? I don't know exactly how many tickets are set aside for other teams, but I can't believe it is any more than 500. After that the extreme top corners of the dome might have some tickets available.

yoteforever
09-20-2010, 02:46 AM
yoteforever, how many fans do you think will make the trip from SD? I don't know exactly how many tickets are set aside for other teams, but I can't believe it is any more than 500. After that the extreme top corners of the dome might have some tickets available.

Truthfully, I would expect no more than 500. I am not sure what your athletic department holds for ours, but that would be tops.

We traveled about 500 to Central Florida and I would guesstimate that maybe 1000-1500 were in Minnesota spread out all over.

I go to every game home or road, but there aren't many of us.

Bisonguy
09-20-2010, 02:57 AM

Don't worry about him, he woke up on the wrong side of a chicken wing this morning.

Here's a link to the official tailgating rules- http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1264858

Pretty much keep adult beverages in plastic cups and no kegs. There are cops/security patrolling the lots, but usually they don't bother you.

Link to Fargodome map - LINKY (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=fargodome&sll=46.908606,-96.793044&sspn=0.010335,0.021801&ie=UTF8&hq=fargodome&hnear=&ll=46.902973,-96.802286&spn=0.005168,0.0109&t=h&z=17)
The narrow paved lot from 17th Ave. N to 19th Ave north west of the Fargodome and east of the trees are the 'west lots' everyone is referring to. The grassy area to the west of the trees is the non-reserved tailgating area.

Leonardite
09-20-2010, 03:15 AM

The only thing that matches the Bisonator's passion for the Bison is his disdain for all things USD. Strange but true.

MNLonghorn10
09-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Truthfully, I would expect no more than 500. I am not sure what your athletic department holds for ours, but that would be tops.

We traveled about 500 to Central Florida and I would guesstimate that maybe 1000-1500 were in Minnesota spread out all over.

nice #'s...i like playin a school who comes with good sized away crowd..definitely fires the home crowd up a lil more;)

yesterday morgan state maybe had 3 fans..

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 03:22 AM

It only has a capacity of 10k. Indiana State only holds 12K except nobody goes to their games.

HerdBot
09-20-2010, 03:33 AM

If 500 made the trip all the way to Florida i would be shocked if more fans don't make a short trip to Fargo, especially with our history and the momentum of a big win. This is a big game.

yoteforever
09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
If 500 made the trip all the way to Florida i would be shocked if more fans don't make a short trip to Fargo, especially with our history and the momentum of a big win. This is a big game.

The vast majority of those fans were displaced Dakotans now living in the southeast. On the flight down, I think I counted 75 on my flight, but I am sure there were others. Looking forward to what I hope is a good game.